Itchiness in vagina

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Itchiness in vagina

The last two days I have been experiencing extreme itchiness in my vagina, concentrated mostly in my labia and around my clitoral hood. I am having no other symptoms...no discharge or odor. I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection. I was pregnant recently and they did an STD test, and I don't have any. I have been with my partner a year and he is clean, having only been with one other person before me. I had also had a test done before we started becoming sexually active and that was negative. Does anyone know what might cause this itchiness and what I can do to stop it? Thank you so much.
could it be thrush
I don't think so...I've never had thrush, so I'm not sure what all the symptoms are. But don't you usually have a cottage cheese like discharge with thrush? I'm not having any sort of discharge.
It's probably just a mild yeast infection or the beginnings of one.  I just went through the exact same thing myself after a round of antibiotics for a bug bite.  I didn't have much in the way of discharge.  I'm assuming that's because I called for Diflucan the day things started feeling a bit off down there.

I'm big on just taking Diflucan but you can get a round of Monistat at the store.

I hope you feel better soon.
I also think it is a yeast infection.  Any time you take antibiotics you are likely to have some sort of yeast infection, whether it be vaginitis or in other parts of your body.  Start eating lots of yogurt and take a probiotic and if possible avoid antibiotics, they only kill all the bacteria in your body (including the good) which your body really needs in order to keep balanced.  I am dealing with yeast problems myself and it is not easy to overcome.  Read about Candidis (yeast) for further information and help (a good source, Presription for Nutritional Healing).
I just experienced my first serious yeast infection. (And hope to never ever get one again!).

I had the itching, burning and swelling but no discharge until about 5 days in. (I mistakenly thought it would just go away by itself.)