Itching breast nipple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Itching breast nipple

I am a 40 year old female with terrible itching of the right beast nipple.  I have no redness, swelling or other signs of what could be causing the problem.  Can anyone help?
It's possible that you had a little unnoticed discharge that dried into the folds and ducts of the nipple and now is itching.  Try taking something very clean like the stick of a Q-tip (not the cotton end), and look closely in a mirror, and see if you can gently scrape at the nipple and if anything slightly whitish and waxy comes up.  Don't do this with anything super-hard or dangerous (i.e., no toothpicks or tweezers) because you can only want to gently remove the waxy stuff and not scrape the heck out of yourself, and besides there is a sanitation issue.  But if you break a Q-tip in half, the stick is firm enough to pull out any dried discharge without scratching you.  Then wash well with soap and water, and keep an eye on the area too.  Good luck!
Please have it checked out by a doctor as soon as you can. My mother had the EXACT same thing at the end of last year. The doc gave her antibiotic cream thinking it was an infection. The cream did not work. My mom had a biopsy done on her nipple and it was determined she had a very rare type of breast cancer. She had surgery and is doing well today. I am not telling you this to scare you, I just want you to get it checked out that's all. Keep us informed
Hi.  I am having a terrible iching of my left nipple.  It comes and goes.  At times feels like a terrible mosquito bite.  Did your mother have any other symptoms?  At one point I had several, well about 7 redish spots on my breast as well.  I looked on web md and it ran me through pagets disease....but I am only 37 yrs old and didn't think I should be concernd with it.  mo43
i also have an itchy nipple on my right. There is no redness or swelling. Its almost 2 weeks now. Its not itching around the nipple but the actual nipple where there breast milk is suppose to come out. Could i b pregnant?
See your doctor right away.   Your symptoms sound like a very specific type of cancer.   Schedule the appointment immediately.   Do not wait for it to go away.  
I have posted this before but did no get a respone.  I was haveing severe itching on my left nipple.  Did not see or feel anything unusual.  After about 3 day it went away but I can kinda still feel it.  Why there?  There wasn't anything I touched.  In fact I just had spinal surgery so there was no messing around.  The itching came on 2 weeks after surgery.  I know it wasn't from meds.  I've had many surgeries and usually want to scratch my face off immediately.  I always get benedry in my IV and then I'm fine.  This was happening to one nipple only two weeks after recovery. Hydrocortizone didn't help either.  I will say I do have saline breast implants for 7 years now and nothing like this has ever happend to me.  I also had all the pesurgical lab, urine, EKG tests so if it was cancer wouldnlt my white blood cells be off.  This is really important to me to have an answer from someone who's been through it and knows what is happening.  I know its going to happen again.  Its like an undlying itch.  With everything I've just bee through I don't want to alarm my famil.   Please please please respond to ***@****