Itchy, sore vagina with bad smell and cloudy pee but no discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My vagina has been itchy and kind of sore, with a bad smell.
It smells like onions or B.O. kind of, a bit fishy. It definetly smells different usually I like the way it smells, and when I itch it stays on my hands and I cannot get the smell off.

I have had no discharge, only a TINY bit but I cannot tell because I just was finishing my period when this started.
So, I am sure the discharge was end of period.. now its gone. I also had one tiny bit of discharge that was like mucous, a bit green with a bit of reddish brown. but it was TINY amount the size of the end of a pen.

I asked my boyfriend to smell just since he knows how it usually smells (sorry gross i know) and he said it smells really bad and totally different :(

I thought it might be a yeast infection so first i tried putting yogurt in, and on my vagina and then i bought a canestan home kit, but it hasn't helped.

Now my pee is cloudy and it smells strong.

I have been washing my vagina with just water trying not to upset it more with soap or douches (which i normally dont do, but i normally wash with soap i didn't know i was not supposed to)

Can anyone help, I am going to my family Dr. on thursday but I am really embarassed to tell her about this and I am freaking out about it :(

I have also had headaches for 2 weeks I don't know if thats related or not, I am on zantac have been for a few months for sour stomache and indigestion/stomache acid.
I know it causes headaches so i am going to ask her about that too.

Anyone know.. sorry if my post was gross :(

Sounds like you may have a bacterial infection  of somesort going on down there.I think its called bacterial vaganosis. I've had it before my pee smelt awful like sulfur and was very strong. Strong like my boyfriend could go pee behind me and smell it.

i just told my Gyno that my pee smelled really bad, and thought something was going on down there.
I agree w/Ladybell, could be bacterial vaginosis.

Also, just a thought..you said you were just finishing a period.  Any chance you could have left a tampon in there?  That can smell really bad, and after they've been in there a few days they can get really soft and hard to detect.  Don't think it's far-fetched..from my days in a gyn office we saw plenty of forgotten tampons!
you are not embarrassed to ask your boyfriend to smell you down there but you are embarassed to see your dr? trust me, they have seen and probably have smelled it all and its very routine for them. she will not think twice about it except to help you. be more embarassed by NOT going in. good luck and let us know what she says when you go in ok?
It sounds like Bacterial Vaginosis. I strongly advice you to schedule and appointment with a doctor. GP or gynecologist thats up to you.

One of the common symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis is the fishy smell - the "fishy" odor is noticeable right after sex. From what you describe, you seem to have BV - The doctor usually prescribes oral antibiotics to fix it.

Trust me you should set an appointment. The doctor will not criticize you or make fun of you - its nothing new to them. Its nothing they havent seen or 'smelled' before. Its their job to help you so there is nothing to be embarassed about.
i agree with everyone here. i have had that....you or your partner didn't do anything wrong. it happens sometimes. the bacteria level of the vagina superceeds the yeast level and thing get crazy. the dr will put you and your partner on antibiotics to keep you both from passing it back and forth. set that appt up asap.

love...kimmie
I have noticed on myself that i have a weird smell down there,i noticed it after sex with my b/f,the thing is that i noticed he smelled bad once he removed his pants but i still had sex with him since we only see each other every few weeks,so anyways we had sex,and i noticed it stinkt,i mean it really stinks,when he layed next to me he removed his pants and it smelled so bad like fish,i just dont know what or how,i had a checkup few weeks ago and i was fine and now this happens,i must admit that he has smelled down there even after he sayed he took shower is it possible he has something going on down there?should i go ahead and buy some monistat or just go make a doc appointment,
i have a fishy smell as well, but it isn't always fishy, sometimes it smells like some sort of bread or YEAST. so i used a douche after my period and it smelled FINE for a day then i had a sort of brownish-reddish discharge for a day and the fishy smell came back. I do not have much of a discharge anymore and if I do its very thin, my pee is a little sudsy sometimes but it does not smell. I've had BV before but I can't really remember my symptoms. I don't have insurance to go see a doctor anymore, how can I get rid of this at home??
i have a question..my vagina on the inside kinda is really sore.. its a dark red and is kind of puffy and hurts to walk around and sometimes pee...help! i have had UTI and stuff before and its not the same..what is it??
can you have Bacterial vaginosis. even if you not having sex
For the past 4 days I have noticed that when I pee it has a bit of a sulfur smell... My vagina hasn't been itchy, and the urine isn't cloudy, I haven't had my period for a few weeks and I don't have any pain when urinating either... I had recieved the 3rd shot for the HPV vaccination on Monday morning, and that was the day that the scent in my urine started... I didn't know if that could cause such a thing. My mom said to just wait, and drink lots of fluids because I am probably just dehydrated... does that sound right?
Yeah, I've had Bacteria Vaganosis for like, I think, five years now. But I finally got it checked out by a doctor. I went,  and sure enough she said yep that's what you have. So I went to Publix to get a prescription, it's a gel you insert with an applicator. It takes about four to five days. You always want to make sure you take showers, change often, and stay very dry in your vagina. My teacher is a family friend and she said to not use a sponge because you can get an infection. Also if you use white underwear, and a white towel I suggest, you should bleach your load to kill any bacteria. Just make sure to always stay clean. Use 100% cotton underwear, it's the best. I'm only sixteen, and never had sex. So you can get it without sex. If you workout, always take a shower right away. Because you sweat in your vagina. I had a yellow discharge and I would have that always. My vagina would  smell terrible. Make sure to see a doctor right away, it's important.
I have had this on and off for years same symptoms My DR did a vaginal & urine I have a bladder infection. I would go the the drug store buy the test to check for a bladder or uti good luck mine never goes away:(
can you have BV without having sex?
Hi there I can't answer you with the bad odor you are experiencing I can tell you anytime my urine has smelled I'm either pg or have a severe UTI.  I have reoccuring utis and the first sign for me is the smell of my urine. Good luck to you I would suggest getting in to see your dr! Take care.....
Hey there...U could have a UTI (Uniary Trap Infection) I had one...My pee was very strong and smelt bad...It smelt so bad i could clean my bathroom then go pee and it smelt like i never even cleaned it..My parents notice and took me to the Doc..I peed in the cup and it came back I had a UTI they gave me sum pills to take and it went away..Hope this helps
Ladies,

I can't say this enough: Usually when a vagina smells it is a sign that the body is not 100% healthy.

It is easy to get rid of the smell by changing your diet to one that is more healthy and free of mucous forming foods.

I wrote an article on my blog about vaginal odour:
http://www.howtoseduceaman.net/2009/04/dealing-with-vaginal-odour/
I have hasd many UTI's and I have never had smelly urine or discharge..... just sudden urge to urinate and painfull when i did... even bleed quitye a bit..

I have a problem with smell and burning and small itch inside..... think i may have BV ...dont like taking meds does anyone know a natural way to get rid of this ...OTHER THAN ACIDS????
I was diagnosed w/ this and it's nothing to be embarassed about. Research indicates BV has been found in virgins.

My question is what if it keeps coming back? Like am I doing something to cause this? Is there something I can do to prevent it (aside from abstinence)? But could my BF be the problem? What are the pros & cons w/ this medicine?
Finally WHAT was that statement about 'you shouldn't use soap when washing your vagina"!?!
Thank you
i was told to avoid hot tubs and heated pools only 99-100 too hot we kill all the good bacteria especially if your messing around in the hot water, also douching is killing things off so its best to take a shower after sex or a tempid tub bath  but never too hot.. take probiotics or eat yogurt .. frequent daily sex can cause BV and multiple partners  even ORAL  can cause a problem...
i was told by my gyno...
M a virgin n i hav ths small wats dat cums n go, n i smel dwn there, wat cud it b,n ths watts livs blk sports
Within the last 6mons I was told I had BC...the doc put me on antibiotics, took them religiously and it went away for a lil while. I still had sex, unprotected, with my ONE partner, shower daily, do not douche, lil discharge (kind of white - no tint to it really)...BUT the odor - well its really strong - even when my legs r crossed and I think even after washing my panyts and panties mite have "stained" my clothes with the smell...but it doesn't smell like fish. Its a bad odor - enuf to be embarrassed to walk around or even on most days to move around anyone...BUT its not fishy smelling. I honestly do not think its BV. Sumtimes it itches but usually when I discharge a lot. Idk what to do. I refuse to let the doctoir tell me its BV. I know in my gut its sumthing else. It has to be. I tried douching a cpl time a while aggo and it helped for a day or two, tried the powders, gel, soap...u name it - I've donbe it! Nothing works. Is there anything else it cld be? I've tested negative for every sti possible - I just know I'm tired of it and want it gone NOW!!! Any ideas or suggestions?
At one point I thought that I had systemic candida. Candida is yeast and being systemic means that it has spread and is effecting other areas of the body. So I went on an anti-candida diet. For 2 years I thought that I was suffering from this. I was sexually active with my partner the entire time. At times I would have just itching, discharge and maybe a little pain. Other times I would have odor. I was told that BV and yeast can both smell so I just thought I had yeast. Mean while I'm eating healthier than ever before on this anti-candida diet because I was just sick and tired of dealing with this (and yes I diagnosed myself after researching signs and symptoms of candida). Long story short, while the symptoms were more tolerable, they never went away. So to the woman who says watch what you eat, thats not always the cure. Turned out that after all those many uses of monistat, diflucan and what ever else I tried to cure yeast (before the diet, while on the diet I didn't use meds at all) I was actually suffering from BV. I was only diagnosed with it twice in those 2 years. Not thinking that it can reoccur after proper meds and not being informed that unprotected sex is usually the cause of it I always assumed the next best thing, yeast! My advice would be to use condoms and stay clean. The less perfume and smell goods on the vagina the better. And I am not the judge of anyone but just from one woman to another, ladies stop having sex on your period. Yes sex is good and our men turn us on, but your body needs that time cleanse itself. Its a bother but its also only a few days out of the month. You want the sex to be good? Make him wait for it! : )

Best of luck to all!!! One day we'll find a solution for this madness!!!
i have a qustion. i have a lot of discharge, it stain my underwear and sometime times so bad i have to wear those lil pads. it happens all day and night. and has very bad odar. it looks  stretchy,clear,and thick. sometimes. but most of time it is thin and white one day and the next day its thick white and lumpy ( like cottoge cheese).i have alot of extra wetness. it also itches sometimes.  the smell is worst after sex. and no matter how much i wash it or wash it with it still smells. my pee is very dark cloundy and smells very strong. i have been checked for stds and i dont have any. i have never had an yeast infection or any any other infections before. so i dont even know what to or not to look for. please help!!!!!!!!
you need to see Dr its yeast? diflicanis a pill to swollow are you diabetic? you can have chronic yeast with that see Dr. bacterial vaginosis yes... eat yogurt take probiotics stay out of hot tubs and pools your drying yourself out, no douching ! sitz bath might help w/ epsom salts my experience! hormone shift birth control?
I had unprotected sex with a guy recently and now I'm having a horrible odor and I'm also having urges to pee. What is wrong with me? Did he pass something on to me?
Well I have a thick white discharge that stink I think its comin from my body wash even though i use summer eves products
YES HE DID!!! go see a doc asap
This is all some kind of infection, it does not have to be an STD. Its TOTALLY normal just go to your doctor and theyll fix you right up! In the meantime, if you have any antibiotics take them. And drink lots of water.
My pea smells kinda fishy and hurts a bit to pea. I think i might have had it before but it went away. I just had sex with my partner could that be why? what is it and what should i do?
I am 6 months pregnant and have the same symptoms, but I've had it for a while. Since I was like 14 my vagina has had a strong smell though so I didn't think anything of it. I'm going to the doctor in a couple weeks. Lately the inside of my vagina has been throbbing and smells like a dead animal or something. I wash myself very well. I'm so grossed out its interfearing with my sex life. I don't want him to notice. Sorry I know I sound raunchy but I want advice before I go..
I am a virgin and have never had sex before. Just recently I noticed a fishy odour when I pee, but that only happened once and then its back to normal However after that everytime I pee it sort of burns. It also bleeds slightly, down there. I am worried that I might have BV as well. However I don't have any abnormal vaginal discharge and it does not smell fishy or bad anymore. What could it be? I am really scared to see a GP since it is really embarrassing to do so :( HELP!
Trichomonaisis, is an STD that causes bad smell, discharge, itchy and very inflamed vagina.  worth being checked for, doesn't go away on its own.
So I have had my period for 7 days then it went away and came back the next day and I have been havin a sudden urge to pee and it kinda stings a bit when I pee not only does it sting but its stinky and cloudy im scared what if I passed something to my boyfriend or sometimes i feel embarrassed around him or mt friends like I think to myself do I smell cause I shower daily
me too im only 15 but its really embarrasing, itss kind of wierdd at first i thouuqht it was a yeast infectionn but theen i noticed the medicine my mom bought me didnt work :/ its been going on for about 4 months now & i just use hot water but it still hasnt went away . i just really want a cure ots very imbarrasing . my clothes stink really bad, if im in a room for too long it starts to smell .. its really awful & i hope it goes away soon .
I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, I ended up having an episiotomy. I went to the dr a week ago because I was in so much pain I couldnt sit down. The Dr gave me perscription because I have an infection down there. I am done the perscrition but I am still swollen, sore, itchy with odor and discharge. I am not completely sure if my stitches are all gone (since they disolve) so I am scared to use anything down there to relieve the discomfort. Does anyone know of any home remedies I could use to relieve my pain? The perscription didnt seem to work. The Itchiness is unbearable!
I have thick yellow discharge, cloudy pre, and a very itchy vagina. What could it be??
I've had the same symptoms for years off and on, as well. The results while taking the medicine are good, but a few months after I've taken the medicine or weeks, it reoccurs with the same foul fishy odor and the headaches. And it smells even worse during sex! I have had very little discharge, if any at all, while I have these symptoms.
I've had that problem too! The doctor continued to tell me its Bacteria Vaginosis as time persists that strange odor became fishy smelling. I don't think they know what it is....... I've always thought it was some type of STD but like you, I have was tested for STD's and the only thing they give me is Bacteria Vaginosis. But the odor smells horrible and even when you aren't naked you can smell it. I use to think others smelled it. I was afraid to open my legs if someone was standing around me.