Itchy swollen feet right before period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Itchy swollen feet right before period

In April during a 5 hour car trip my feet became very itchy- it itched them and they became red and swollen in areas. The whole foot was not swollen: but certain parts became itchy and red- under toes, sides of feet, a little on top- no ankle swelling or redness.  These itchy red areas become hard and painful to walk, the outbreaks last about 24-48 hours.  The first time this happened I passed it off to wearing new and cheap high heals for over 13 hours the day before (I teach).  That day I also had some trouble with a family member who was staying with me- so I felt stress may have been a contributor?

However, about 3 weeks later this happened again… and I went off to the doctor’s.  The swelling doesn’t occur in the same area each “outbreak”- however the onset is always the same, itchy, red, turns hard, becomes painful.  My family doctor looked at my like I was crazy for being concerned; I am a healthy 24 year old.  However, this has happened since April 4 more times.  It has happened right (one-two days) before menstrual cycle in May, June and now July- I am not pregnant.  

I have seen a podiatrist- who took xrays and did blood work (I know the blood work was for lupus and arthritic counts but not sure the scope of the tests).  He concluded my foot is mis-shaped and molded orthotics for me.  However, this has happened two more times- I am trying to understand what is triggering this as nothing relieves the swelling, itchiness or pain.  

As I have tracked these episodes they don’t seem to happen with any certainty- meaning I have tracked my physical activity (I workout a lot), bought and wear 4X Width cross trainer shoes- even to work, and the only pattern that exists with these outbreaks is many of them are occurring right before I begin my period.  Could this be a part of PMS? They checked my blood pressure at the doctors all times I have been there- the only other thing I can think of is a circulation problem- sometimes the pain travels up to my calves (feels very sore like the day after a hard workout).  But at this point I feel like I am guessing with no guidance?