Its not Maple Syrup Urine Disease so what is it?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Realizing that we have gained a combined 50 lbs since we were married last year, my husband and I decided to embark on a fitness/ lifestyle makeover. We began eating better, more fresh foods, whole grains, lots of lean protein and LOTS of water.

We also hired a trainer at a local gym and the first time she worked out with me she mentioned something peculiar about me. She asked me if I had had pancakes for breakfast. I told her no and she insisted that I smelled like maple syrup. At sometime during our work out she pinpointed that it was my SKIN not my clothes that smelled this way. A few days later a friend at work noticed it as well, and most recently my sister inlaw brought it to my attention that she also smelled it. I cannot smell it nor do I have any idea where it's coming from.

I googled "smells like maple syrup" and got all kinds of info on MSUD. I'm not an infant nor do I have any other symptoms. I don't eat a lot of fruit like some suggested could be the culprit so what is it?

I'm curious about all of the questions brought up about diabetes and hydration could this be it or is it something more serious? I've been overweight my entire life and have been tested for diabetes and thyroid disease religiously and nothings ever come of it. My husband was laid off and I don't currently have health insurance so I was wondering if this was something worth going to a doctor (and going into financial ruin) for or if it's just because I've started drinking water and working out?

Thanks for the insight.
AlissiaBreitenstein commented on 7 Tips to Breathe Bet...
gymdandee commented on New Scientific Analys...
breezytoo commented on New Scientific Analys...
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals