Kidneys still sore after 2 rounds of antibiotics?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

I had a mild UTI at the end of December and went to the doctor for antibiotics because my kidneys felt tender. They never really hurt, but I could feel them as if they were slightly swollen. The doctor tested by urine and my blood and gave me an injection of penicillin and 7 days of cipro. The UTI symptoms (burning, bloating, etc.) went away immediately and have not returned. However, my kidneys were still tender even after finishing the antibiotics. I went back to another doctor and he prescribed me 10 more days of cipro without retesting my urine or blood. During those 10 days, all symptoms went away and my kidneys felt completely normal. As soon as I finished the 10 days of antibiotics, the kidney tenderness returned. They still don't really hurt, but they feel swollen. Is this normal? Should I go back for more antibiotics? I'm in a foreign country for the next three weeks so I don't want to go to the doctor unless I have to. Any chance this will go away on its own?

This discussion is related to Bladder/Kidney infection not responding to antibiotics.
For ruling out any kidney infections you should get kidney function tests and an ultrasound kidneys done. You should consult a physician or a nephrologist and get it ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I'm going through the same thing invisible444  has right now. Today was my last day of antibiotics and I still have intense pain on my right flank. I also have kidney stones but that was ruled out last Thursday as their was no blood in my urine.  I've asked to be referred to a urologist twice already and they just want to fix the problem themselves, but being that I've seen a urologist for my kidney stones before I thought best thing was to continue seeing a urologist. But since I moved I have to start all over again with referrals and such.  If I mention a kidney function test and ultrasound...lol they'd laugh at me and accuse me of searching the internet. (which I am) So I will give them 1 more week after Tuesday's appointment if this doesn't go away I'm going to be that crazy, whiny patient every doctor loves to have. Thanks for the advice :)
Belle313, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
1 hr ago
gjjl commented on gjjl's status
gjjl I have a leak and now am ha... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals