Labia Laceration - What should I do?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Labia Laceration - What should I do?

While having sex with my boyfriend, a new partner, we followed precautionary measures (i.e., condoms) but last night had an unusual occurrence - the ribbed condom we were using became dry and he "slipped" and the ribs of the condom caught against my inner labia near my urethra and tore it. The bleeding was quite a lot and immediate, but stopped shortly thereafter. It is about an inch-long laceration. My questions are:

1. Has this ever happened to anybody -- this is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced in the sexual realm.
2. Are there any holistic remedies to this situation, or should I consider something as extreme as stitches? If stitches, would I go to a regular OBGYN?
3.How long would it take something like this to heal? It hurts. It is bleeding slightlt today, and only upon contact with urine during urination. (Since urine is sterile, I have no immediate worries about infection, correct?)

Thank you!
If the bleeding is just a spot or two, I'd be inclined to say let it be and let it heal.

It will burn while urinating, just as you said.  You can alleviate that by squirting warm water over that area with a clean squirt bottle while urinating.  It will dilute the urine and keep it from contacting the laceration.  (That's what we do with new Mom's who have the same type of laceration--typically called a "skidmark" from birth).  

If something isn't actively bleeding (a continuous trickle of blood all the time, not just a spot or two) they generally do not suture.  

No intercourse until it is healed, and be sure to use plenty of a good lubricant that is approved for use with condoms next time.  Just keep the area clean (the squirt bottle is great for that)and if needed, you can dab a bit of Neosporin on it from time to time.  

If it becomes increasingly painful, hot or swollen, see your doctor right away.  

Of course, I am not a doctor (OB nurse) so if you are at all uncomfortable or unsure, call your doc and run it by him/her.
Hi, Christie. Thank you for your comment.

How long does something like this take to heal typically? I just started an exercise routine (going to the gym everyday), and I'm worried that perhaps I would keep opening up the wound. What are your thoughts?

Thanks a lot - you've put my mind at ease.

-UF
I would guess it might take a week or so.  Personally, I'd be inclined to lay off the gym for a week, just to give it every chance to heal faster.  I think it will heal anyway, but may take longer if the area keeps stretching, and perhaps gets irritated from vigorous movements.

Please do see your doctor if it isn't getting better soon, ok?
Sugar Craving
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
KTowne commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals