Laparotomy recovery time / removal of ovary/endemetriosis
Hi there, can anyone provide some guidance on recovery from a laparotomy?  Was suppose to have been having a laparoscopy to remove my left ovary and large cyst within this along with treatment for endemetriosis, woke up to have had a laparotomy and the latter all done plus part of the fallopian tube with it. It is now three weeks since the op and I can at least move around more, no longer doing an impression of a ladybird on its back trying to get up... The main scar is still sore on the inside and by later in the day I get pain down the left side, still have the shelf overhanging which hoping with time and eventually some exercise will go, still quite bloated but this comes and goes seems to get worse later in the day. Hormones have been all over the place as well.  I have had a first period since the op and the pain was still horrendous but assume this is everything settling down again. Would be grateful for anyone's similar experience to give some idea of what to expect and how soon will feel normal again if ever? Didn't really get much from hospital and main follow up isn't until July?? Any help is welcomed.
Wow what brave woman we are.
34 and just had a laparotomy today two weeks ago.  Was on holiday and rushed to hospital in Athens for an acute abdominal caused by a raptured corpus luteum cyst.  
I got to keep all my bits!  Also they removed the endometriosis, chocolate cyst of 6cm and mayoma of 8cm.
There was no morphine but they did give me pain killer injections total of 3 - over my 4 day stay  and had two blood transfusions.  
I got told I can take Ibuprofen as a painkiller (over the counter drug).  Two days ago I have stopped taking painkillers.  I am very light headed still and my energy levels are at a minimum, but slowly I am getting more mobile.  I make sure I walk everyday - not too much and also make sure I rest enough.  My partner is great!
I have complete numbness around my cut and a tiny over hang (this is all numb).  They say that the feeling might come back over a period of time - did anybody else experience this?  
The gastro complaints was worst than the surgery and the headaches I had after - I stop taking the iron tablets since it made me constipated and I really don't need more problems in that area.  
For the rest I agree on prune juice and nettle tea - it is helping allot!
I am back home since last Friday and that made me feel so much better! At least I had amazing travel insurance that covered everything and could bring me back home.
Good luck to all of you out there and yes this is a very helpful trail - one doesn't feel alone!  Not such a good read I agree for pre op!
Wow what brave woman we are.
Just thought I would write in having returned from my laparotomy a couple of days ago - I read this forum before I went in and it totally freaked me out!

On the day of the op to remove the ovarian cyst and the endometrioma, i was also told that I would have to have bladder reconstruction surgery as well (the endometriosis have worked its way into my bladder, blocked my left ureter and has caused one of my kidneys to fail) which was completely unexpected. I was in theatre for a total of 3.5 hours and had a few complications but when I woke up, my surgeons had done a good job - my wound was sewn up from the inside which means I cant see any of the stitches, bloating was at a minimum and generally, all is good.  The only bad part was the horrible nausea which followed which baffled everyone since I stopped taking morphine the day after the op and NONE of the anti-sickness medication worked.  After 4 days of not being able to move or talk without retching my gynaecologist decided to take me off antibiotics, which luckily stopped the sickness! The nausea was definately worse than any pain or discomfort after the op! I was in hospital a total of 9 days.

Anyway, the point is, everyone has a different reaction to the surgery and its impossible to say what may affect you.  I had no constipation (actually I had diarrhea!) so my prune juice which I bought especially for the op after reading this, has yet to be drunk! Im still a bit bloated but not unusually and the wound is clean and healing. Im back at the hospital on thursday for a cystogram to check my bladder is healing so fingers crossed.

Good luck for anyone going through the laparotomy! Just stay positive and have faith in your surgeons!
I am 31 years old and i suffer from PCOS, Polips I had my surgery done yesterday at the St.Joseph Hospital in Toronto..
The day of the surgery I went to the St. Joseph Hospital the nurse gave me a pill to relax before the surgery then I got the chance to meet all the doctors and nurses.. One of the nurses took me to the operating room then they pull my gown off attached the heart monitor, injected ivi, put a warm blanket and gave me an oxygen mask. Next thing I knew I walk up in the recovery room.. I could bearly talk as my throat was soar i also wanted to pee but I couldn't then they game me pain medication.. after about an hour they took me in to the other room and then my husband was allowed to come and join me.
About 20 min later a nurse came to check me and then also the doctor came to tell us what they have found.. I told my husband to write everything down... The doctor gave me two pain killers, gravol and stool softner.. I did not need to take anything all I took was on the second day tylenol for pain as I was suffering from gas pain in my upper diaphram and shoulders and neck..
Yesterday all I ate was jello and cookies... today I had tacos and rice pudding and so far so good..
I have been looking for some answers in regards to laproscopic surgery and thankfully I found this site. I am a 52 year old woman and had been suffering from back pain since October. I have perineural cysts on my spine and thought this was the problem. In December I began to have a burning pain in my pelvic area front and back with swelling/bloating in my abdomin. My feet were also numb which I'm guessing is related to the perineural cyst. An ultrasound revealed cysts on my left ovary and I had laproscopic surgery done 12 days ago to remove them. After surgery I found out my left ovary was also removed. I am getting back on my feet and recovering from the surgery but I still have the bloating in my abdomin and yes it's exactly how most of you have described...I look pregnant. And the burning pain in my pelvic area and back is still there along with the numb feet. I have been so worried about this because it feels as if nothing has been resolved. I don't know if this is normal or not. I have been feeling so depressed and anxious about this. I am grateful to have found this site and to have been able to read about so many different experiences but so far I haven't read anything specifically about continuing pain in the pelvic area. I'm not sure if I should be concerned. I will see my Dr. and ask next week but when I asked him before he told me that abdominal swelling/bloating had nothing to do with cysts and that it would be something to do with IBS. I haven't had any problems with my bowels even after surgery so I'm not sure what to think. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Thank goodness for this list!  And good luck for anyone dealing with this!
Wish I had read this before my laparoscopy two weeks ago...
I am finally able to be back at work for about four hours...then I get really tired. Thought I would be back after 4-5 days...what a joke!
Had an cyst and ovary+tube removed and still have endometriosis lesions my doctor couldn't remove on my intestines so I'm not sure if crampy feelings are bowel contractions or endometriosis or inside healing or what!
Horrible three day long headache and fatigue are finally gone...now I'm slightly depressed from all of this. It's taken the wind out of my sail..
Now on continuous BC pills to prevent any menstrual cycle....other option was Lupron injections which scared the heck out of me..
I will never take advantage of my health and strength again...I am listening to my body and trying not to rush the healing process. Patience..
I had my left tube and ovary removed because I had a twin ectotpic pregnancy.  I am 4 weeks post op, and I wish I had read all of this pre op.  (Was rushed to hospital in ambulance)  Just before surgery, doc told me full recovery could be expected in 2 weeks.  NOT!  I was in surgery for 3 hours.  After the anesthetic wore off, there wasn't alot of pain.  When I had to get up and out of bed, the pain tore through me like a fire.  I was discharged the next day. 6 days post op the doc took the staples out my belly. Incision is healing nicely.  As soon as I was home, I phoned my aunt, who had this operation done before.  She gave me this advice for care after surgery:
First week: stay on your back on the couch.  do not lay on your side or stomach, stay on your back.  Eat lightly.  Don't be a hero; if it hurts take a pill. Do not get up except for bathroom breaks, showers and eating. Avoid using your tummy muscles; use your arms and legs instead. It's normal if it hurts to pee.  Drink warm prune juice to help with regular BMs. For gas: Lay flat on your back.  Bring your knees up and your feet as close to your bum as possible; do it 3 times.  Then lay flat and straight, and relax your anus.  Don't try to push it out, it comes out on its own.(NEVER believed this, but it worked!!)
Second week:  Get up during the day, walk a bit. very light exercise will help your body(walking or shuffling around the house)  Yuo're starting to feel better, so don't screw it up by overdoing it.  Lay around and watch the world go by. No chores, laundry or dishes.
Third week: Now you are really feeling better, start with really light housekeeping. ie: wash dishes once, fold one load of laundry, a few small things like that every day.  DO NOT OVERDO IT. You will pay for it dearly the next day.  Pace yourself, and make sure you get alot of rest still.
Fourth week: Start slowly doubling what you did last week, but still taking time to rest.  I am in my fourth week, and am still having a 2 hour nap every afternoon.  Still no lifting, but you can start bending, but do it slowly.
I hope this helps someone out there, because my doc told me nothing. I have a muffin top now.  Does that go away?
I have just had my 5th laporoscopy for endometriosis 4 weeks ago and I am still exhausted and have pain on my right side. My previous 4 surgeries weren't as hard to recover from- i was back at work within 2 weeks.I have learnt however, that every surgery has been different and this one is going to take much longer to recover from. I had expected to have my bowel 'unstuck' from my uterus but when the surgeon( an endo specialist) went in he found ovaries and ureters and tubes were also attached. When he came to explain what he found, he said to remember that the small incisions we can see are only entry points - what you can't see is the 'large saucer size wound' that is on the inside. He said that laporoscopy isn't a simple procedure when you get inside - the same amount of internal work is carried out regardless of whether it is open surgery or not!
So give yourselves a break and don't listen to unqualified secretaries or other people who say recovery should be days. Maybe if you're are young, very fit and all they did was have a look around!
I had laproscopy and salpino-fallopian tube removed and while im no stranger to pain n surgery (two csections incl) this is kicking my butt n the doc wont give me any more pain meds. Its only been 8 days! the ibprofun doesnt even take the edge off :(
I just absolutely don't get it! Why do all of these doctors seem to "assume" that their patients are going to get addicted to pain killers post surgery.  I think each and every one of them should have a laparoscopy, then decide how much pain medicine their patient will need.  I try to think of the reasons why doctor's don't want to manage their patient's pain efficiently, and I come up with:
1. Fear of addiction?
2. Don't want patient to over medicate, feel a false sense of well being, and then hurt themselves  -  or-
3. They think we are all out to "get high".
The fact is, there is absolutely no sense in having patients suffer.  There are so many various and effective pain medications available, why not prescribe them.  I think that gynecologist who perform laparotomys should have to have 30 hours of pain management training each year, so that they can effectively and safetly manage their patient's pain pre and post surgery.

I am a little upset about this, here is my story..
One day early in July, 2011, I began feeling really heavy in my abdomen. After several days of taking laxatives, I reached down and felt of my belly.  I found a large lump beginning at my belly button, then across and down about 4 to 6 inches each way.  I freaked out and called my internist.  He ordered a CAT scan. The radiologist's report said, large mass, 12cmx14cmx10cm, ovarian in nature, cystadenoma/carcinoma.  My internist told me to go to MD Anderson, which is a well known cancer hospital in Houston.  I was stunned. I decided to go to my gynecologist instead.  She ordered a ultrasound, which said it was a hydrosalpinx. My gynecologist said that it needed to come out, but the first available surgery could not be scheduled until 7 weeks later because of the hospital.  She LIED!  I found out a couple of days later that she was going on vacation for 10 days, and after that, she was double and triple booked.  She only prescribed me 20-Tylenol 3 for the pain. CRAZY, this didn't even touch the pain.  I called back and her substitute physician ordered me 20-NORCO.  What a difference one physician can make! All of this took about 16 days, and by then, I was experiencing more pain. each day.  The huge tumor was pushing on all of my internal organs, causing me pain.  I developed really bad pain on my legs and lower back.  Later I found out from a doppler of my groin and leg, that it was cutting off my circulation to my leg, and pushing on a nerve.  I went to another gyn, and he got me scheduled for surgery in one week, and had an Oncologist on call. The problem is that his nurse seemed to be the one responsible for chosing the pain medication.  I told her I was in alot of pain, especially at night, and that I was out of pain medication.  She wanted to prescribe me prescription strength Ibruprofen.  WTH!  I had already been taking 4 to 5 Advil at a time, which only put a small dent in it.  I told her that I needed Vicodin.  She had the doctor prescribe 20 - 500mg Vicodin.  The thing is, I had to take one every 6 hours to keep from writhing in pain.  I just don't think they get it!  Do we have to call sobbing, or go the the emergency room.  They make you feel guilty for asking for pain medication.  Why can't they just believe you.  I can understand if you were a frequent flyer, but not patients that have real and documented ailments, like a 6 pound TUMOR, for example.  Then after I had the surgery, I was told that my tumor was the size of a small watermelon and contained mucinous. Mucinous has the consistency of syrup, I was told.  It was benign, thanks to God listening to all of the souls praying for me.  I had already had 3 C-Sections, a exploratory laparoscopy for fibroids, and a partial hysterectomy.  I was told that I had massive scar tissue which had attached itself to everything inside my abdomen.  My ovaries and fallopian tubes were removed, along with the tumor and scar tissue.  I woke up in recovery, very sore.  I was hooked up to a push button for Delatin.  I pushed it every 15 minutes for the first 36 hours, then less and less.  They removed the pump only 6 hours prior to discharging me from the hospital.  Sent me home with a prescription of 30 Vicodin-500 mg.  and 1000 mg. Ibruprofen.  I had to take a Vicodin every 4 hours, so they were gone in 5 days.  I called for a refill and the nurse asked me a bunch of questions, "wasn't I taking my Ibruprofen"?  Of course I was, I was taking both, but it had only been one week, guess what, I was still in alot of pain.  I told her that I needed one more refill.  She said, "OK, I guess that will be alright".  I reminded her that I had a laparotomy, not a laparoscopy. I am three weeks out, and i am still having pain, especially at night, and when I am trying to sleep.  The pain is much better.  I can move around pretty well now, and walk the block, do light housekeeping.  BUT don't lift anything, you will pay for it for days later.  The pain not more like the muscle pains you get with a bad case of the flu.  I am improving every day, except when I do too much, then that sets me back a day or two, so don't sweep, vacume, lift anything over 5 pounds, climb steps, or squat.  you may think that you feel well enough, but your innards are not healed yet.  Thanks for letting me vent!
Since the beginning, my periods were never 'regular'. In my early 20's I started to feel a numbness on my left side. Every gynecologist or doctor I had seen told me I was normal. Three years ago, with my sister's advice, I went to an internal specialist. She asked me a few questions, and not even 5 minutes into the appointment told me I was going to have an ultrasound. What was seen on the ultrasound was a large mass on my left side. She referred me to a gynecologist/surgeon. About a month later I went to the gynecologist/surgeon for another external ultrasound and an internal ultrasound, which confirmed the first finding. The gynecologist/surgeon suggested I have surgery soon. He said they could do it laparoscopy and because of my age (my early 30's by this time) and health I would be back to work within a few days. I was told it would be a day surgery so I would be able to go home soon after the surgery.

A few months later I had my surgery. Before going into the surgery the doctor said he may have to be a little more invasive than he had originally thought due to the size of the growth. When I woke up from surgery I had 3 laparoscopy holes and a large incision just below my bikini line. He said the growth was very large and he had to make a larger incision to remove it. He also said that the growth was engulfing my right ovary. He had to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube.

After I was coherent I was sent to a room for recovery. Because I was originally scheduled for only a laparoscopy I was being released as soon as I could walk, drink something and eat something. I assumed this was normal after a surgery. I had heard of women who had C-sections having to walk soon after surgery. I asked the nurse if I could take a shower with such a large incision and was told to try and not get it wet. I was sent home about two hours after my surgery.

Because of my husband's work, I only had someone in the house with me for one night, not even 15 hours. I spent the next week alone on the couch. I have a high tolerance of pain and told the doctor I did not need pain medication. I was still given some and took only one pill twice as a precaution the day following my surgery. I was in more of a discomfort than real pain. People do not realize how much they use their stomach muscles to walk, sit, sneeze, drive a car, bend over, etc.I made it a point to get up and walk or just stand for 15 minutes every hour. As much as it was discomforting, it helped me recover. A week after my surgery I went to have the staples removed. The nurse who removed them was shocked that I was not admitted to the hospital. She said I should have been admitted to the hospital with that kind of incision and the staples should have been removed about 3 days after surgery. An oopsie on the day surgery team and I guess my ignorance.

I told my work I could not come back until I was able to drive myself. I was getting emails and calls 3 days after my surgery asking when I was returning. 10 days after my surgery I returned to work, mostly because of the badgering. I have to do a lot of lifting at work. I was also mocked because I had a doctor note saying I could not lift more than 15 pounds, which I was lifting 25+. For the first time after surgery I was in pain and was moving very slow.

Needless to say, a little over two years later now, my laparoscopy scars are practically unnoticeable. The larger incision is also not very noticeable, except the little indentation. I do get pain in the larger incision area if I turn quickly. I do have lower back muscle pain (never had it before the surgery), not sure if it is because of the muscle healing differently or me not following the lifting rules. I also still have a little numbness on my left side.

My advice to anyone who is going to have a surgery like this:

-Make sure you do not need to stay in the hospital if the surgery goes from laparoscopy to laparotomy or even both.

-Who cares what your work says, stay home for at least 2 weeks, it will be worth it in the long run.

-Do not lift more than the doctor says, even if they say you can lift what is comfortable. I say no more than 10-15 pounds max for the first week or two.

-Eat/drink lots of soup even if you are not hungry. I made sure I was eating something every 4 hours, while I was awake, even if I was not hungry. Also drink plenty of fluids, especially if you are on meds, they dehydrate you. Some meds will make you constipated if you do not drink plenty of fluids. You do not need to be constipated with sore stomach muscles.

-Do not put any kind of medication (neosporin) on the incisions. That stuff is for cuts you obtained yourself. All the incision needs it to remain clean. A few days after the surgery you can gently wash the area. I also let the incision get fresh air whenever possible.

-Do not remove the steri tape, it will fall off on its own. I put a band aid on the holes while I slept until they were all the way healed.

-The larger incision bled from the right side for about a week. It was not constant, but enough for me to have to change the bandage twice a day.

This has been a very useful read for me to read both before and after my laparotomy. Thank you to all posters.

I am day 4 from laparotomy to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube. I am very sore and have pains down my back and hips but am taking co-codamol and ibuprofen regularly. I was able to walk slowly and take myself to the bathroom on the 2nd day and on the 3rd day I was able to shower without aid. I would have been ready to be discharged on day 2 but was still taking Oramorph so it was day 3 before I "escaped".

1) If you know you are going to have this surgery do ensure you work your abdo muscles as much as possible for many weeks prior to surgery. I swear its due to having good stomach muscles that I'm not doing a dying fly when getting off a chair or bed.

2) You will need baggy knickers and baggy sweatpants. You will feel like you are 9 months pregnant.

3) Take your pain meds even if you don't think you need them. The bloating, the wound etc is sore!

4) Take it easy - you'll feel very tired.

5) Laughing, coughing, sneezing WILL be painful. I really enjoy a good belly laugh but it is impossible to do so.

6) My hips are killing so I guess that will go away eventually.
It sounds as though advice on how to cope with a lap depends on what was found and what was done.

For me, I offer the following advice:
* bring the following with you on the day of the surgery:
     three heating pads (ask the nurse to wrap each shoulder and diaphragm:
     the pain cannot be managed with narcotics; only heating pads work)
* when you meet with the anesthesiologist:
     ask, when they reverse the anesthesia, to also include anti-nausea
     medicine in case you go home that day

If you stay in the hospital, ask the nurse to continue to wrap your shoulder and diaphragm with heating pads and ask for anti-nausea medicine as needed (nausea should go away within a couple of days).

Most importantly, hang in there. The worst will be over and you will recover.

I had my surgery on August 12.  I had a 17.5 cm cyst removed along with my left ovary and fallopian tube.  It took me a while to recover and was pretty much homebound for the first 3 weeks post surgery.  I returned to work(I am a teacher) in time to begin the school year.  I was still moving quite slowly, but felt way less pain than before.  I still have an indent above the incision and get extremely bloated by the end of the day(I feel like I look pregnant).  I am still so uncomfortable wearing pants and have been buying lots of dresses to go to work.  A lot of my pants do not fit properly even though I lost 10 pounds post surgery. I am hoping to return to the gym soon but am a little nervous about it.  

I had a few questioons for people who have had similar experiences...
Does the bloating go away?
Will I always have this indent in my abdominal area or does it eventually go away?
Is it normal to still feel discomfort at the end of the day after being on my feet for the majority of the day?
How long will it be until I feel completely normal?
Hi, just like to say thank you all for sharing your storys. Mine goes like this; two weeks ago i had a 7cm cyst removed from my left ovary but never was told when will i feel better or how would i know if the surgery was a success.  if its been two weeks n for a moment i feel ok n the next minute its like they are still scraping my ovary. Is that normal or should i worry that something might not b right.??? My appt. Its a week from now so any advice will help!!
Thanks for all your posts. Its has helped me realize that healing depends on the individuals' body. Had ectopic pregnancy and my right fallopian tube was taken out(1/nov/11), i wasn't prepared for the pain,its about 4weeks now and i havent fully recovered,taking things easy cos once i push my body too hard,the pain becomes unbearable. only wish people around me'd understand that the healing process takes time. Thank u all.  
I'm on my third day from recovering from my right ovary and left cyst removed from my left ovary.  The nurse who was discharging me said I would have some discharge from my vagina.  Its my third day and I am having blood dicharge as if I were on my period.  The blood is not heavy and not light but its very visable when I go to the restroom to wipe myself and on my pad.  Is this common?  My doctor's office is on vacation and the oncall dr has not responded back to my messages.  Should I go to the ER or just wait it out.  
Debbie I had a tubal and partial uterus removal done back on dec 20 2011 due to a type of ectopic pregnancy. They started doing a laparascopy but I hemorrhaged and lost 2 pints of blood so they had to do a laparatomy. My doctor told me I shouldn't bleed at all but a day after they release me I ended back at the ER for heavy bleeding.  If you are bleeding heavy you should see immediate care. In my case when the pregnancy was removed my hormone levels dropped down so my body immediately decided to remove the walls of the uterus like in a normal period. My OB was called to the ER and she did a full check up to make sure that everything was ok with the surgery she did on me.  I hope you have a quick recovery.
I just have my left ovary and tube Plus scare tissue and endometriosis removed on my left side. It has been two days now and I have to tell you I'm not back to my 100% but I feel good so if you are not feeling at least 90% you should be calling your doctor. I know that they say you should wait at least two to three weeks before having sex but I feel fine and it did not bother me any or I should say that the pain before was more then now! Wish I would have done this before now. Best of luck to you all
i just had an ovary removed i also have endometriosis and alot of scar tissue from two c-sections. i was told to take 2 weeks off work and i definetly need it. i also have 2 children and a husband who are taking good care of me but my boss wants me back a wk. early b/c i am a manager of a restaurant. i had someone who was going to help but she hurt her knee and cant and the owner wont come in and help. i guess he thinks b/c i am a manager i should heal faster than everyone else. i am very aggravated and stressed not only from this but my husbands identity was stolen and we got audited by the irs all of this in less than a week.
Did your doctor gave you medical paper work excusing you from work? It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and I have a doctor appt. tomorrow for an evaluation. My ob-gyn then will decide if I'm able to go back to work or if I need to stay home longer. It is very important that you follow your doctor's orders because if something happens to you during a time that a doctor told you to stay home for recovery and you were at work instead you are going to lose any type of insurance that you have (work-medical...) The law is not going to back you up so tell your boss that he/she needs to find other venues and your health comes first. He/she cannot legally fire you while you are in a medical leave. Good luck and please take care.
I had a laparotomy for a softball sized cyst on my left ovary in october. it is now january and im feeling a tugging feeling on my right ovary. it has lasted all day today but i am not sure if its ovulation or something i should be concerned about. im basically 10 weeks post op and have been told that tugging is normal but i didnt get operated on my right ovary so i am confused as to why im feeling this weird pain on that ovary and not the operated one.
Hi all.
I am new here. I an 33 years old and in the past 6 years I have had laproscopic surgery for cyst removals from ovaries. I have also had a few D and C's. I have bad endometriosis , too. Since December 2011 I have had a serious pain in left side (around the area of ovary). I finally got an appointment for an ultrasound last week and they found a 'small grapefruit' sized cyst AROUND my right ovary! Yes, all the pain was on left side and cyst is on right! (strange, I thought) Anyway, I am having a surgery next week to remove cyst AND right ovary as well as another D andC! I am a little nervous about the ovary removal. I know you can function perfectly fine with one....still, it scares me a bit. I already have 2 children and have no plans for another. Does anyone have feedback on recovery time? Anything else I can expect? Thanks for listening.
I am so grateful to find this site.  I am a teacher and this is my second week out.  I thought I would be back in 5 days.  NO WAY!  I may take off more time after reading here. As for me, I had my left ovary removed (carcinoid tumor ... still need to do tests on that and I am a bit scared my doctor said it is rare) and a fibroid on my fallopian tube, which they removed.  I have had absolutely NO issues with constipation, which I was extremely worried about.  I took Myralax every night in a large glass of hot tea.  My gastroenterologist had me on it before the surgery and told me that although it is a laxative, it didn't have the kind of ingredients that you have to worry about.  I've skipped a dose here and there with no problems and have gone to the bathroom EVERYDAY : )   This is a big deal issue as you know.  This is my question. Does anyone have a really itchy stomach?  It's my whole stomach not just the incisions.  It is driving me crazy!  I see the doctor in two days ... I am trying to hold on until then.  Good luck to everyone.
I was supposed to have laprascopy, removal of a demroid cyst on the 3rd, but woke  up and had a bikini line incision after they decided they would have to open me up unfortunately. I am recovering fairly well, not to much pain after I got out of the hospital and showered, and kept my incision site dry (put a towel on it and leave it there ALL day), i'm doing really great healing wise...and even the incision in my belly button is okay (kind of gross looking though). I can walk, have been letting my gas out FINALLY and don't take pain medicine so much... but my problem is my SHOULDER.

This is the worst pain i am experiencing, when i go to lay down on my side (which i can finally tolerate) my shoulder  begins throbbing, and aching like someone is  pulling every muscle in my back and tightening it I told the doctors while I was in the hospital but they said it was normal due to the gas they had used before deciding they would have to cut me open - I'm using a heating pad to soothe it, but it's just really annoying that I can not lay any other way SOLELY because of my shoulder pain.

I'm so tender on my right shoulder and back area. I was wondering if I'm the only person experiencing this pain. It's unbearable, it actually almost brings me to tears everytime, and the pain meds do not work in this are at all. I just want to know when it will stop...or how I can stop it from happening, or atleast that someone else is having this happen too :(
Thanks guys, and hope everyone heals up well & doesn't have to deal with this again.
Hello all i had a laparodomy done on jan. 16,2012. I must say i honestly thought it was going to be a laproscopy and i woke up cut up. I ihad a 4 1/2 in cyst on my left ovary. It was so painful i was begging for a window to jump out of lol. I cried for the first  two weeks from pain. I just want to say it gets better. It has been 28 days since the surgery and i am much better than i was. Take it easy as much as you can. Dont lift push pull or anything like that. I had to squat instead of bend. I had alot of help. I stayed in the hospital for four days due to complications. I was an easy bleeder due to an artery being cut so they had to stop my surgery and get a specialist. I am telling you it honestly gets better but it takes time. I thought i would never get to this point. I can finally sleep on my side and on my stomach but not alot. I am very soar and still take my pain meds but it is nothing like the first week. Dont force your body to get better it will happen with time. I still hurt but i will take today over 1/16. So dont get discouraged if the benefits outweigh the risks. Look for a good surgeon and pray for god to touch his/ her hands before the procedure and know that the mind is very powerful. Time heals all wounds
Hi everyone I just wanted to share my experience. I will start from the beginning. When I was in 8th grade I had woken up from a deep sleep to excruciating pain. My mom just thought I was starting my period. Well I wasn't so she took me to the hospital and they didn't know what was wrong with me. I could barely stand up straight to walk. Finally was able to see an OBGYN and have an ultrasound done and found out it was a cyst the size of a pea. She prescribed me some birth control and it went away.

Not until now have I started having pains again. I am now 24 years old and started having pain during intercourse only didn't really think anything of it but then it just kept getting worse and worse and I couldn't enjoy sex anymore. Also never had to bad of cramps during my periods so I didn't think anything of it and I have always had a regular period never have I missed one. Finally I went to the my OBGYN and he ordered an ultrasound and it showed that there was a cyst on my right ovary. But then they also had found another mass that they couldn't identify on my uterus where he described as the culda-a-sac in the space between the colon and the uterus. He then told me I had to get an MRI so went and had the MRI done and they still couldn't tell what it was. That was the beginning of January of this year.

Febuary 8th I went in for my laparoscopy. They did explain to me that it could happen that I might have to have a laparotomy. My surgery was schedule for 7:00 didn't get into the OR until around 9. I woke up around 11:30ish in the recovery room. I also have asthma and it is scary when you are waking up from anesthesia I felt like I literally could not breathe but I had my inhalers with me so I used them and was brought to my room. Everything went as my doctor expected it would. I didn't have to have a laparotomy done thank goodness.

My OBGYN said that the mass was something he has never seen before  and needed to run more test on it and tell me the results when I came in for my two week check up. He described the mass as being crystalized.   They did do a pathology on the mass and it came back benign. The mass I was told was 6cm I do not remember how big the cyst was.

My surgery was same day surgery so I was able to go home after I was able to go pee and then hold fluid down. But everytime I would get up I would get nauseated because of the anesthesia. But finally it calm down enough that I was able to tolerate it. My doctor prescribed two different pain medications Naproxen and Vicodins. But I have a very high pain tolerance I only really used them the first two days.

When I got home I felt fine wasn't really in any pain yet and I was moving around and even went to get some DQ lol. The next day I was in a lot of pain just from some of the gas still being trapped in my body and also the internal bruising and incision areas were tender. The only way I could get out of bed was to literally scoot myself to where my feet were on the floor and I arched myself up. Also I hadn't had a BM since Monday two days prior to my surgery. So all the build up from that was killing me. I was thankful I didn't have to take anything to help it along. I was about to drink some citrate to help and I am glad right before I did I had to run to the bathroom and was able to have a BM. And that's was not fun either.

By the third day I was starting to feel a lot better. I was still tender but not hurting really bad. My shoulders and chest were still a little achy but not as bad as the day before. Also had some little bumps in my muscles but my mom said that was just gas still in my body. And I stopped taking my Naproxen then and went from taking two Vicodins every 6 hours to only two a day and now I stopped taking them all together.

I went back to school on Monday and I felt great also started my internship then and I had no problems with working. I still can't really do any major exercising. Just walking for 30 mins or so. I definitely can't wear any tight pants cause the pressure hurts to much. The only incision I have or had a problem with is the one right under my belly (the one I can't really get a good look at lol) cause of the underwear rubbing against it. I didn't have to get stitches or staples they used the surgical glue and all the incisions look great. I am still a bloated and my belly is still kinda hard. Today is the 9th day after my surgery and I feel great.

I am glad I had my mom to help me through this because she has gone through everything I went through. But she had it worse then me. She had to have 7 laparoscopy's done and even when she was pregnant with my brother she had a cyst on her ovary the size of a grapefruit. But by the age of 33 they did a full hysterectomy on her. She also had a lot of scar tissue due to all the laparoscopy's she had done.

The only think I am truly worried about is if I will be able to have kids or not. I have not had any kids yet and do want kids in the future.

I know this is very very long but I thought it could help others in the future if I put it into details. I will post something after I go to my check up next Friday when I find out what the mass was.

Danielle

Tali, that's normal with a laparoscopy - I had the same problem when I had mine!  If you get up and move around a bit, it'll help the gas pas through your system faster.  And this is kind of gross but...if you have to fart or belch, don't hold back, DO IT!  It allows the gas to exit your system faster.

Also, have you been diagnosed with endometriosis?  Endometriosis on the diaphragm causes pain in the right shoulder area, and the might have not thought to check  your abdominal cavity if they didn't find much in the pelvic cavity.

I feel what you all are going through.  I had a laparoscopy for two cysts (one a large endometrioma that was wrapped around my right ovary) in January 2011 that did absolutely NOTHING for my pain.  I was told I had severe endometriosis that couldn't be dealt with during the surgery and was put on Lupron to control the pain.  A year later I have decided to seek out the help of an endometriosis specialist, and upon getting print-outs of my surgery reports to take to her, I have discovered that I have endometriosis on my diaphragm (which the doctor never told me about) which is hard to remove and can only be removed laparotomally.  My recovery for my laparoscopy was 2 weeks and I still wasn't fully myself when I went back to work so I'm terrified as to how long I'll be out if I have a laparotomy!
I just had my R ovary removed by laparoscopy 2/2/12. My job is physically demanding, so I was off for a week, then light duty the next. My energy and strength seem to be almost back to normal. Out of the 3 incisions I had, 2 are pretty well healed. The 3rd, on my R hip, is not healing as well. Because of positioning, it is constantly irritated by a rubbing shirt or pants. My skin is so sensitive to adhesives that I'm terrified to cover it up with a bandaid, as they literally pull my skin off. I've tried gauze and paper tape, but even that gives me a rash for days. Any suggestions on ways to cover it up and get this stubborn wound to heal?

I am so glad to have found this site.

I had a laproscopy on Jan 20th to remove a 9cm Cyst on right ovary along with endometriosis and a heterescopy to remove uterine polyp.  The pathology report showed that I had a clear cell carcinoma on the Cyst.  

A week later, I had a colonoscopy to rule out that I had a colon cancer because I had heavy and frequent rectal bleeding.  

A week later on Feb 7th, I had a laparotomy to remove uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries, lymph nodes, fat cells (omentectomoy, fix bladder control, and get samples from over 10 parts (including rectum, appendix, etc.) of my abdomen for biopsy.  The recovery from surgery was rough.  I stayed in the hospital for 15 nights due to various complications:  

1. vomiting almost everyday from just drinking a sip of water and abdominal swelling. Doctor said that I had ileus and that my intestines were inflamed.
2. urinary tract infection
3. wound infection which gave me two holes that are > 3cm deep in my abdomen.
4. blood transfusion as my blood level was 7 for almost a week.

It's been 10 days since I came home from the hospital.  My abdomen is less swolen and the wound infection is getting better; my surgeon cut the skin near the hole to widen the hole so that it heals properly and it still hurts.  I also started eating very small portions.  

However, I still have indigestion and eat just enough to take pain meds and antibiotics.  Although I eat so little, I get so much heart burn.  I try to reduce the frequency of taking pain pills a few times only to suffer so much because pain was out of control.  I still get headache and fever everyday ranging from 100 to 101+ and do the normal stuff for fever such as removing clothes to keep my body temperature down.  I am not sure why I continue to get fever.  Doctor does not seem to be concerned about fever.

If anyone had a similar experience, I would appreciate your insight and sharing.

Thank you.
im 16 years old , and found out i have a large mass on my right ovary , it is 10 by 6 by 4 .
i get my surgery on 04 / 12 / 12 .
i was wondering how long the recovery time would be for this , as i have school and work .
im very nervous .

just had laparoscotomy for my left ovary and tube it had several cyst inside all removed and i hope all good but surgery was not so good allergery to all opiods morphine any pain killers tramadol and some anitheistic drugs so after giving me tramadol that didnt work and vomting the gave me an epidurial to put me under which worked to a point after recovery was in HDU for 3days fighting of the tramadol and in server pain as nuroaphen and panadol dont actually help,then pain in my chest and uptine blood test show a PE suspected in my lung so i lost count on how many heprin injection in my stomach they continued when i was taken up to the ward  my scare is just over 8inches and after a week in hospital im home but only just know able to feel better still hurts when i fet up or down to sit walking helps heaps but very tried afterwards part of the superglued area came undone with a little bit of blood but when i went back to hospital they just cleaned it and sent me home it slowy repairing itself the pian is easing but i get sharp pians accross my left side of scare and my whole stomach is still swollen heaps and it burns some parts of my stomach around the wound bikini line and back are still numb unsure if this ts normal and it now been 3 weeks and still very sore and have trouble getting around i dont know if this is realated to surgery but i woke up and the base of my left foot aches so much i cant walk on it feels like a bruise and i so over it i want to get back to being me and dancing and having a good time  to scared to tell doctors sometime as dont want to think im a hyper over little things / i hate being sick i hate hospitals
thanks for reading just thought i put my story out there cheers rb  
Hi everyone im 28 years old, i have been trying for a baby for 6 years early last year i started to experience really bad pains whilst on my period the pain was so bad i would vomit so i went to see my gp and he refered me to the hopsital i was diagnosed with servere endometriosis in the summer of  last year after having a laparoscopy and was told my tubes are clear which he was suprised about.
When i went for my check up i was told i would not be able to concieve naturally my only hope was ivf, i already have a boy and he is 9 this year so i was told im not entitled to help from the NHS.
I made appointment to go private and had a scan and they found a cyst that measured 5cm on my left ovary i was advised to have this removed due to the ovary may not respond to treatment. I went back to see my gynae and he did another scan which showed it was a pure endometriosis cyst which had grown another cm i also have a frozen pelvis and he has decide my only option its to have laparotomy. I have my appointment for the operation which is on the 26th april i have been told it will improve my chances of concieving naturally but am at high risk of eptopic pregnancy. Im really scared about having th op but i know i have to have it done just hope it really works so us .
thanks for reading my story x
Hi Kailey,

I totally understand your nervousness.  I am a 59 year old school teacher and I had never had surgery before either.  I was frightened (about everything) and didn't know what to expect. I had a dermoid cyst on my left ovary that was large and had to be removed.  Because of it's size, the doctor didn't feel comfortable doing it laparoscopically. I had it removed on 3/19 and I must tell you, I never had to take a pain killer stronger than Advil.  The hardest part of the recovery was trying to find a comfortable way of getting out of bed.  My doctor used a "bikini cut" incision even though my bikini days have long passed. :-)  While I have stitches under the skin, she used a surgical glue on the outer skin.  I took it easy the first two weeks and now the incision has healed beautifully.  I imagine your healing will be even better.  Due to the anesthesia, my belly was bloated after the surgery so you may want to consider a pair of sweat pants to wear home instead of your jeans.  Rest in bed with your knees bent.  It will help with the gas.  Some friends recommended Gas -X but I didn't need it.  Eat fiber rich foods (like oatmeal and apples).  Prune juice may also help if you are constipated.  I would also recommend getting a raised toilet seat with handles.  You may not need it but it was one of the best things for me.  No one told me about it but I noticed they had one in the hospital.   Also, get yourself a good book (s) and take it easy.  I am hoping  to go back to school after 4 weeks since it was open surgery but the range can be anywhere fro 4-6 weeks.  I've read that people go back to work after 2 weeks when they have a laparoscopy but still need to "listen to their bodies" and not push things or else they have set backs.  I hope this is helpful, Kailey, and that knowing what to expect puts your mind somewhat at ease.  I hope you are surprised and have a smooth recovery too!
My surgery got moved to next month , I told them that I am not ready . My doctor is fairly easy going about things , we have a very good relationship . Thank-you so much for everything ! It sure does put my mind to ease a bit ! I love to read .. I have a library room in my house . So i will definitely read while I'm recovering ! I will not have to worry about school while recovering , because I am now currently being homeschooled . Along with the mass , I also have severe depression , so when I am not at my boyfriends , I am reading or sleeping . :)

Again , thank-you so much !
hiya I'm ali who's 40 and thought i was just having a laparoscopy but ended up with having a laparotomy on the 23 mar to remove a large cyst and right ovary.The dr gave me 4/5 weeks off work,which included 2 weeks holiday i booked too.I'm due to go back around the 14th may maybe.Does anyone else who has had this procedure get backache everyday since?Also where i had the laparoscopy where they tried the 1st time i think the stitch has just kinda dissolved but its still sore bleeding for the past 3 mornings with some pus coming out is this normal?I can move around a bit better,but the more things i do my back hurts more.My job if i go back is a kitchen assistant washing up and quite alot of lifting,would anyone advise a bit longer off?Also i have hardly been out the house since 23rd march,i'm scared to go out again on my own...do i sound crazy???It sounds weird i know.
Hi. I had this same procedure done a week ago. The doctor removed a 19 cm cyst along with my right ovary and tube.  The first few days of recovery were definitely the worst. I had to have help sitting up and moving to new positions. As the days pass, i find it easier to do more on my own but i do still let my family help as much as possible.  I can now get myself up on my own and i take very small walks. They say increased activity helps the healing process. My incision is all the way across my abdomen and although its still very sore, i do see a difference as the days go on.
I just had a laparotomy on July 9th to remove large chocolate cysts on both ovaries (my 1st surgery and I was very scared).  I have read many blogs and the information has helped me a lot.  The surgery went well and luckily my doctor was able to keep my ovaries in tact.  However, he told me that I have severe endometriosis and my odds of having a child are very small....  That is another story.  

It has been 3 days since my surgery and I am feeling really well considering.  The first couple of days were hard and I needed a lot of assistance from my family.  Of course it is still hard to stand up and sit down but I have been trying to walk around from time to time and I think that has really helped.  The gas pains have reduced and my range of motion has increased.  I was finally able to go home tonight and take care of my self for the first time since my surgery.

I am still taking it easy but I feel better each day.  I am thankful for this blog because it prepared me for my surgery.  Thank you everyone for preparing me for the good and bad of a laparotomy.

I had my right ovary removed as the ovary ruptured and became gangrene after it had twisted on itself. I have similar cyst in left ovary and am now worried that it might twist on its own. I haven't had kids yet. My operation was 20 days ago and i still have slight pain and discomfort and am very weak. Unsure how to better myself at this point.
Reading this blog was really helpful to me, I'm 20 years old, I had a laparotomy on Thursday (it's Wednesday now, so almost a week ago) and hearing about other people's experiences made me feel so much less alone! To be honest I didn't think the hospital made me feel prepared for recovery, but at least my mom had this before and she has been so helpful!

I had constant nausea for 14 months before finally, a few weeks ago, the gastroenterologist sent me for an ultrasound because he thought I had a cyst. Before, they hadn't been able to find the problem and said it was probably something dietary...it turns out I had a 14 x 10 cm cyst..unbelievable the weird things that your body can do! When I went to the gynecologist he said it was the equivalent to being five months pregnant!

The actual surgery went well, I don't have a follow up appointment with the doctor until three weeks after, but the evening of the surgery he came to see me briefly and said he said most of my ovary was saved; about 20% of it was removed. I was happy about this, because he had said beforehand that he may have to remove the whole thing. When I first came home, I could occasionally feel a tiny sharp pain in my ovary, which felt so weird! He said the removed part will most likely regenerate.

Definitely go to a doctor you are comfortable with and confident in! I really like the doctor that I have, and I think knowing how experienced he is put my mind at ease. Plus he's just been a nice guy through the whole thing.

The area seems to be healing well; a lot of the swelling has gone down. I'm still having still having quite a bit of trouble getting around the house much at all due to the soreness, but I do walk around a little as much as I can, and it hasn't even been a week yet so I'm not worried. I think yesterday I was a little overzealous because I was feeling well, so today I'm going to rest more.

The worst part for me was the anesthesia and drugs, they made me so sick afterwards! I felt great when I first woke up..I was kept in recovery for longer than expected because apparently I was really dehydrated (one of the nurses said I was the palest person she'd ever seen in recovery...which startled me and made me think I might be dying, lol) 3-3 1/2 hours after surgery ended they brought me to my room, and my parents were in there waiting. I was completely wide awake by then. When the doctor came by later, he said it looked like I hadn't even had surgery.

However, by the next day the medicines had started to get to me ( I had a morphine pump thing, which I really didn't use much at all..but the nurses kept encouraging me to, even though I was hardly in pain- that frustrated me!!) and I was really nauseated. That continued for several days, even after I came home on Saturday (two days after surgery). They gave me zofran for the nausea (which, fyi, is constipating!! if you take this in the hospital, just make sure to be aware of that when you are home. I continued taking the zofran for two days when I was home actually, which I'm sure did not help that problem). Once the morphine was taken out they wanted to give vicadin, but I took motrin instead and it was fine. They still wrote a prescription for vicidin; I continued to take motrin at home for two days, and now I don't need it anymore.

I did have problems with constipation, I've been taking Dulcolax stool softener for a couple of days, and took Senokot yesterday and finally had a bowel movement. I'm drinking a lot of water and eating fiber, and feel like I'll be normal soon. By the way, I recommend both of those! For me, they were effective but very gentle.

I don't have any groundbreaking advice, haha, just the same as everyone else! Walk a little when you can, take the least amount of pain meds possible. If you're worried about nausea from the anesthesia, ask for meds to be put in the IV, or for something to take beforehand. I did and I still had the nausea, but it probably still helped me feel ok when I first woke up. Take stool softener when you get home and eat fiber foods and drink lots of water until everything wakes up and gets moving again. I was eating really light in the hospital because I felt so sick, and the nurses kept trying to get me to eat more normal food. Really, I'm glad I hadn't eaten that much because it would have made the constipation worse for when I got home.

Before you have surgery, get out some movies, magazines, books, load up the DVR, etc so that there's stuff ready for you to do when you get home! You will want to rest!!! Try to get as much help as you can from others because you really don't want to overdo it.

I feel like I'm turning a corner now and I finally slept in my own bed last night :) (I slept in a big comfy chair the first few nights at home).

Best of luck to anyone having this done! Just concentrate on recovering well!
So, I realize this is about 5 years after this post, but I ran across your post here and had a very, very similar experience! Felt decent the first night. Then the medicine and lack of food really started to get to me. Was in a lot of pain with the gas they fill you up with and the Zofran made it worse for me, I think! I wasn't able to eat for 65 hours. I just wanted to respond to this in the case that anyone else reads it. I CAN'T stress enough the importance of drinking plenty of water and eating healthy, fiber-filled food in the days following. My sweet husband bought me all the sweets and treats I love afterward. I wasn't drinking enough water and I didn't have a BM for NINE days. It got to the point that I couldn't eat again for another 3 days because I felt so sick. One of the worst times of my life, no joke! So, be smart and be safe- Be sure to eat fiber and drink lots and lots of water. It's hard in the hospital because you can't just "get up and go", but please trust me when I say you need to! :)
Its been about 3 yrs since I had my right fallopian tube removed & every month when I get my period I get the most excruciating pain and I feel like its not getting any better.  Is this normal?
Did all of you had the operation recover? I'm due to have my left ovary and cyst removed via keyhole surgery, but have consented to hysterectomy if necessary, but bloods etc have come back ok am worried they will just go for the whole think without good reason?

Was told three month recovery time.
Today I am 5 weeks post op from a laparotomy and am still in a lot of discomfort and my tummy is still very swollen,which comes and goes..  My doctor told me the surgery would be 45 minutes and wound up being 3 1/2 hours.  My ovary was the size of his fist, which the sonogram showed it being the size of a walnut.  There were four complicated cysts in my ovary, which proved to be non-cancerous.  Very grateful for that.  However my ovary was completedly glued to an organ with scar tissue and all of my other organs on the other side were completely glued together with scar tissue as well. I was in the hospital 5 days instead of one and I could not urinate on my own for days because my bladder was so traumatized from separating it from my other organs.   I am a bit discouraged though, as I thought the discomfort and swelling would be much better by now.  I admit though that I probably overdid it with going back to work last week and having a business trip and had to drive over 8 hours combined.  I feel like I take a step forward, then two steps back.  Anyone else still this sore and swollen five weeks post-op from a laparotomy?  My Dr. told me last week that all of my organs were very traumatized from being surgically separated with the scar tissue.  Is this normal?
Hi,I just have surgery laparoscopy four almost five months now. And I feel ok,till now ,after four weeks you feel better and you can go back driving...then,after five weeks I went back to work..but no heavy lifting for months...I never take pain killer when I get out from surgery...I stay two days in hospital. But now,still numb my left thigh and stomach where's my cut..?it's just small incs. And just wondering that when I can go back to exercise?lol. I'm getting heavy now..I'm scared to much exercise maybe bad..but,I'm lifting more heavy now than before...so,don't worry you be ok...it's ,normal that you worried...it's my first time to ge surgery...just leave it to god...u be ok..
Confused how to post on this forum..
I know this comment was a while ago, but if you notice, many of the women with increased pain have large cysts. Cysts that burst, have adhesions attached, or that are overly large with calcification or scarring are going to cause more pain. I had 2 c-sections and I was up a week later. Not that big of a deal for me. This surgery has knocked me on my butt though. It's not rude to give some hope but you make light of other people's situation. I am glad that you had an easy go of it, but there are many of us that have not been as lucky as you. Believe me, I wish I was. Currently I am 1 week out of laparotomy for a removal of a softball sized ovary and a football solid tumor that they found while they were in there. Every woman is different and unfortunately, an oophorectomy is commonly also an exploratory surgery which also increases the pain and healing time.
This was my first surgery and it was just 2 weeks ago. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! My cyst was larger than a softball and was slowly rupturing. My doctor wanted me to wait to see if it would slow down, due to family history I said I would prefer it being removed. My doctor was not informative at all. After surgery I did not wake up for 8 hours and when I did my whole left side of my stomach was raised do to my doctor leaving co2 and fluid inside me. I stayed less than 24 hours at the hospital and they sent me home even though I could not even hold myself up to go to the bathroom! My doctor gave me no instructions on caring for my incisions and told me I was being a cry baby and I shouldn't be feeling any pain! Grr!
Its not that bad!! I know everyone's experiences are different. I read all these posts before going in and was terrified. I was totally exhausted on the second day, and I didn't like the restrictions that the catheter brings for a day or two, but the pain relief used is excellent. After 3 days I started walking and had all drips etc removed. The scar is not that bad, and is getting lighter every day. This is often a life saving operation, given that, it's really well worth having, and it's honestly not that bad (or wasn't for me) I'm into week two and am enjoying not being allowed to do too much still, whist feeling great! Getting whatever sickness is inside of you, out, improves your well being and energy levels. I feel healthy enough to return to a teaching position, but at the same time am going slowly back to real life. My stomach is much much flatter two and I've lost 4kgs. I had a hysterectomy and a cancerous tumor removed. Hope this helps those of you soon to face this operation.
I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to post a bit of info after my laparotomy!

I am only 2 weeks post-op (2 weeks and 2 days), but thought I could shed some light into how the recovery is going so far!

The background: I played soccer 3-5 times a week before I found out about my cyst (I found out about it at the end of January 2015. I also walked a lot, did at home exerices (T25 - google that if you have no idea what it is :), about 2-3 times a week). So, fairly active I would say!

I found out at the end of January that I had a big cyst measuring 17x14x10cm on my right ovary. After meeting my specialist/surgeon, having a CT scan, and seeing the specialist again, I finally had surgery on March 5th, 2015. So, it took about 5 weeks to have surgery from the time I found out about the cyst.

As far as recovery goes, it's been quite good actually! Luckily they saved my ovary which they thought they'd have to remove. I didn't use any morphine in the hospital, and was released the day after my surgery as I was doing so well (usually they make you stay 2 nights). I was given a few prescriptions for pain killers, but only needed Advil and Tylenol extra strength, and rotated between the two. I was up and walking around the day after surgery (not far, I'll admit, just around the hospital corridors). It definitely hurt to walk around the first few days, but I thought it would hurt more! I never got tired easily as I was told was common post-surgery. Just felt pretty normal!

The worst pain I felt, was the day I got home, I had some trapped air on my right side. It literally felt like I had broken ribs, and I could barely move or breathe. And I also had gas pain in my stomach. But, that subsided after about 2 days. The more you get up and walk around, the quicker it goes away.

The other worst thing was getting a cold 3 days post-surgery and trying not to sneeze/cough as that hurt the most!

Now I am 2 weeks and 2 days post surgery, and I'm walking a fair bit! I would say about 30 minutes a day. The pain subsided for the most part 1 week after surgery. Today I feel quite good, and I think I can start going for even longer walks, so will start doing that tomorrow.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions or anything, I will do my best to answer. I read so many laparotomy horror stories in terms of recovery, so I just wanted to put a fairly positive one out there :)

Marissa