Laparotomy recovery time / removal of ovary/endemetriosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi there, can anyone provide some guidance on recovery from a laparotomy?  Was suppose to have been having a laparoscopy to remove my left ovary and large cyst within this along with treatment for endemetriosis, woke up to have had a laparotomy and the latter all done plus part of the fallopian tube with it. It is now three weeks since the op and I can at least move around more, no longer doing an impression of a ladybird on its back trying to get up... The main scar is still sore on the inside and by later in the day I get pain down the left side, still have the shelf overhanging which hoping with time and eventually some exercise will go, still quite bloated but this comes and goes seems to get worse later in the day. Hormones have been all over the place as well.  I have had a first period since the op and the pain was still horrendous but assume this is everything settling down again. Would be grateful for anyone's similar experience to give some idea of what to expect and how soon will feel normal again if ever? Didn't really get much from hospital and main follow up isn't until July?? Any help is welcomed.
Hi there, I really don't have my own experience. But, I may be able to help with part of your questions.  The recovery will depend on the size of the incision and where it is. Was it done laparoscopy with an incision in the belly button and two small "stab wounds" on each side or did they do the exploratory style with a large incision. Sounds like the larger which takes about 6 weeks. The more you get up and walk around, the more the soreness leaves. It also helps with the gas/bloating. You can also take otc simethicone 2 tabs four times a day until the bloating leaves or until you have diarrheaa (as it can cause it, but that sometimes helps, too). Don't run a marathon or anything. Simply walking will help. The hormones may take a while, fluctuating is normal. The dr can give some hormones for that if it is bad, give them a call.  Best of luck and hope for a speedy recovery.  tmv
I agree with the other comment.  Take it easy.  Remember that you did just have surgery and average recover is 6-8wks. Also the reason you feel worse at the end of the day is because you feel good in the morning so tend to do more.  Try to limit what you are doing to small things. If you normally excercise, know that you wont be able to do what you did before the OR for a while start slow and work your way up without expecation as to when you should be normal again.  With the hormonal change it may take longer as you could feel more tired and emotional than what you are use to.  If you have pain don't suffer, take something for it.  Make sure that you are eating healthy high fibre to keep you regular and it will help with your peirods as well.
Hope you are feeling better soon
Thanks for your help, reassuring to hear this is quite normal, the plan was for the laparoscopy and all set for this then woke up having had the laparotomy done so wasn't quite as prepared with info on this.  Starting to accept the fact it will take time, will be pleased once stomache starts to decrease slightly seems to increase from an already bloated belly to a good extra 4 inches by the end of the day - weird almost like all the fluid and gas settles in other areas in the night then throughout the day it comes back to the one spot. thank you for your help.
I am amazed how dr.s may not be informing women of what recovery will look like. I have my left ovary removed and was told 2-3 days tops.  Well, it is 8 days later and I still don't feel like myself. Plus we beat ourselves up as women and most often it is the expecations from men (ob/gyn's, that is, no male bashing intended) when we are not up and running to care for everyone else.  I feel better knowing.  I thought something was wrong with me
Yes, I too expected to have a total Hysterectomy & removal of ovaries & Endometriosis by Laparascopic surgery.  Well, that did occur but I knew that after my surgery that something was very wrong.  My Sigmoid Colon had been ruptured.  I was hugely distended & kept questioning this to no avail.  I even suggersted that I had Peritonitis, but was told to think happy thoughts!  Finally, day 5 in the hospital I felt my bowel really "Go" whilst on the toilet.  I felt a ghastly rush & a bursting sensation & the pain dropped me to the floor & my left leg went numb.
Luckilly for me a friend happened to visit shortly thereafter as staff seemed to think that Panadol would reduce my temp & Morphine would take care of the rest.  Five hours of my friend harrassing staff to "Get the Dr. or surgeon" & I was finally sent for a CAT scan.  Severe Peritonitis & off for emergency surgery.  A Laparotomy was performed & Perioneal Lavage & a Colostomy.  Delightful !  Thankfully though I am alive.  From there I had many set backs & ended up leaving the hospital 6 weeks later.  (Free floating pus around my kidneys & lungs full of fluid & anaemia).  Upon returning home I was still having my Laparotomy wound  (51 staples) packed by the local District nurses as that had also opened up in five areas into what the nurses called Sinus cavities.  It is now 5 months since my surgery. I can very much appreciate how you feel!
My stomach (which I have always strived to keep flat & firm) also bloats up as the day goes on.  It doesn't seem to matter what I eat.  It doesn't seem quite so bad through the night as what it was, so I'm hoping that with time it will improve.  I am able to once again ride my horses & will enter my first show since the surgery this coming Sunday.  However I will have to get some new Jodhpurs as I have definitely changed shape.  My stomach does some very odd things!  I too have been wondering if abdominal exercises will help tame my tummy!  It seems to have a mind of it's own.  The hormones are settling but I had to start taking a mild HRT, to settle the flushes. My Diaphragm has taken a real battering, that is for sure & it still spasms if I sneeze or yawn deeply.
I too wish that more information was given at the hospital.Had my friend not arrived when she did I would most definitely not have survived.  Try to stay positive & think of all of the things that you can do.  Try to do a bit more each day but remember to rest when your body tells you to.
Reading your letter Made me feel as though I wasn't on my own.  Good luck Turnip. May 4th   Mandy 451
I Just had a procedure done yesterday for Endometriosis. They made what i thought was going to be a small incision in by belly button. Well, its a bit bigger than small. They also made an incision on my existing c-section scar ( which is the most painful as of right now) and that i have no idea what for. A  D and C was also preformed as well. I was not prepared nor informed about how much pain i would be in after the surgery. Yesterday after the procedure i was OK, but as night fell OH MY GOD! I have only had cat naps and that is just out of exhaustion. I was in so much pain last night even after taking the pain medicine like its candy. I could not get into bed last night and had to lay on the couch. I had to go to the bathroom but i couldn't get up I was in so much pain. I called for my Husband for over an hour but he was asleep and because of the surgery i could not yell or even raise my voice so he didn't hear me. Nedless to say i ended up wetting myself. My poor husband was so upset he was nearly in tears.I am starting to feel the same way now that i felt last night. I have a feeling it is going to be a long and horrible night. The gas pains are horrible, i have never felt anything like this in my life. I have a FLAT stomach and right know i look to be about 5 months pregnant. I am not exaggeration. They said recovery time will be about 2 weeks, well they haven't been exactly honest with the rest of the info so I'm not sure when i will feel better.
hi and god bless u darlin it sounds rough

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/571232

i have no experience with endometriosis so please try the above link

if u are in OMG pain as opposed to just sore please call ur doctors after hours number .. someties things go wrong and nobody can say for sure unless the screen u properly ... if ur surgeon doesnt have after hours contacts then please go to an emergency room

i have an incision from my pubic bone to my diaphragm and am only 4 weeks post op and not realy up to speed yet but i have improved with time :) so will u if u take good care of urself :)

u know my docs understated the amount of pain as well ... i guess its so u wot decide not to have surgery LOL

the bloating and swelling just started to go down for me but post op i couldnt fit into my own clothes if that helps any

u know there are a lot of women with experience with this procedure in many varying degrees on the ovarian cyst forum ... try reposting this over there

i pray u a good recovery
love
sharon

I had my right ovary removed 8-25-08, I didn't have a lot of pain but I still didn't feel like my normal self ands it's been almost 4 weeks. I can not fit any of my pants even my pull ons are to tight, my navel is still sore as well. Sometimes I feel a tugging in my navel when I stand straight so I walk slightly bent and my doctor told me I could return to work in 5 days, not even. Let us all hang  in there and know that Jehovah Jire, the Lord our provider will take care of us with the provisions we need to recover and get back to our lives pre-surgery.

Take care
Roxanne
hi my name is liz, i had a hysterectomy nearly 3ys ago and im now having to go into hospital next month to have my ovaries removed. im now getting really anxious about the surgery as they have told me that they will try to do it laparoscopy but may have to end up going in through my previous scar. i have read all of your comments and im really starting to worry as im already disabled because of back problems (my spine is crumbling) so i suppose im really looking for reassurance and you all to tell me that im going to be fine lol.

i hope you all make a full and healthy recovery very very soon.

love liz xxxx
hi. i had a large ovarian cyst/right ovary/ and fallopian tube tied on Oct.3 08'. i think my recovery was quick i had a laparotomy done and resumed work a week and a half later. I have a high threshold for pain, i have a question if anyone can help. I have a burning(feels like alot of bee stings) on the right side where my ovary used to be. I was  just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. also is another question, I was told(also have known since i was a teenager) that i should not have children due to a genetic condition called marfan syndrome i had open heart surgery a few years ago (i was 18) so that would basically ever count out having kids. part of the surgery was supposed to tie both fallopian tubes but the surgeon refused to tie the left side saying that i am still young (23) and will change my mind. my question is how long i should wait to go see my regular gyno about my options.
I just had an ovarian cyst removed, along with my right ovary on Nov 4th, 2008. The recovery has been an ordeal. Unbelievable pain. I don't seem to be able to tolerate the narcotics and have had similar ordeals to those of you who found you couldn't get yourself up to go to the bathroom. I finally seem to have managed the pain by taking my medication, and anti nausea meds, in small doses every 2 hours. I set an alarm at night and wake up every 2 hours to take the meds. I was refraining from eating salt so that the swelling in my body would go do down but found that I was having muscle spasms in my abdomen and legs, possibly due to low electrolites (too much water and too little minerals). I started drinking Emergen-Cee and the spasms have dissipated. How long will it take for all the swelling to subside from my body?
I had both ovaries removed Dec 18th by laproscopy and I feel pretty good, but my belly button incision seems to be open, like the stitch dissolved before the skin closed over complete.  There is no pus, no fever, no pain, no redness other than the general scar area.   The hole is about 1/4 inch in diameter, but I'm still a little concerned about having a hole in my belly!  Of course, both my GP and OBGYN are closed for the holidays so I called the hospital that did my surgery.  The nurse suggested I cover my belly button up with a band-aid or gauze and tape.  Has anyone had this experience?  Does it eventually heal from the inside out?
Dear ladies,

Bless all of you. I had my Laparotomy on Nov. 17, 2008. I wish someone would have prepared me for the experience. It is pain like you would hopefully never have to experience again. My stomach and abdomen are was swollen for about 2 weeks. It's been about nine weeks now, and my admonen is still swollen. the incision burns incredibly at times. I work 60 hour work weeks and started full time again this week. My energy is not there and I'm not moving as quickly as a use to. In fact, if I try to move quicky, my incision slows me down. There is no longer pain, but a throbbing and and the burning sensation. It's hard to discribe. I've been spotting for almost 5 weeks now. The nurse said it is normal. I have been on birth control for continuously since Oct. 15, 2008. I need to brave it and have my period. I decided to have it the 1st week in February. That will give me 2 more weeks for my body to adjust. I would encourage any lady who have a pending surgery to seek advise from those who has experienced it. You will find it helpful. If I can offer some quick advise:
1) Build upper body strength. You will need it during your stay in the hospital pulling yourself in and out of bed.
2) Have a great care giver partner. Thank God I had my mother. She was amazing.
3) The gas pain can be very painful. All the doctors said to get rid of it was to walk. Let me tell you something. YOU DO NOT FEEL LIKE WALKING. Do what you can. When I got home, I took Benefiber with my meals. It did help with the gas.
There is so much more. Please feel free to contact contact me via email at ***@**** if you have gone through this or about to. I do work a lottof hours, but I promise I will get back to you. There is so much your doctor does not tell you. Good bless.

I am 28 years old and I had a laparotomy on 23rd December 2008 to remove a 10cm corpus luteum cyst on my right ovary which had ruptured.  It all happened very fast for me.  I experienced pain on the 21st December and was taken into hospital.  I had no idea what was happening.  I was given an internal ultrasound and then a CT scan.  I was then told that the scan had shown something measuring 10cm on my right ovary but that they did not know what it was.  As you can imagine i was thinking the worst.  They told me they could not rule anything out but they did believe it was more likely to be a cyst or abscess.  I was told that I would lose my right ovary and tube.  After signing my surgery consent form I had a very sleepless night in hospital worrying about the surgery.  The pain was quite intense and actually radiated all up the right side of my body and into my right shoulder which made it painful to breathe.  It also caused fluid to accumulate around my liver and lungs, which i later found out was due to the amount of blood that was hemoridging from the cyst.  So i was given a morphine injection for the pain and also some IV paracetamol to reduce my temperature.

I woke up the next day and my surgery was at 3pm.  I went down for surgery and was back in my room 3 hours later.  It was good news.  When they opened me up and realised it was a corpus luteum cyst that had ruptured they were able to drain away all the blood that had gathered in my pelvis and they sewed up my ovary.  They didnt have to remove the ovary after all (I was delighted).  After the surgery I had a morphine pump for the pain which i controlled via a small button which was kept in my right hand.  I also had a catheter in which was removed 24 hours after surgery together with the morphine pump.  This is when i was told i had to get up and walk around.  Well I was not ready for the pain but I have to admit once i was up it did start easing.  My incision is just below my bikini line and is about 8 inches long.  I was scared to look at it at first but then after 5 days when i was getting my prolene and bead stitch removed i finally looked and i realised it wasn't as bad as i had imagined.

I am now 4 weeks post op tomorrow and i am not yet back to myself but I am almost there.  I have done everything the doctors told me.  I have got up and moved around as much as possible every day.  I have avoided the urge to stay in bed some days.  I shower every day anyway, but after a laparotomy it is essential to shower every day to keep the wound clean to avoid infection.  The doctors told me just to bring the shower head down to the wound and gently wet the area.  My wound has never leaked or oozed and has healed perfectly.  As I said i am 4 weeks post op and I am able to walk about 40 minutes per day.  I have my follow-up appointment on 3rd Feb so im looking forward to being back to myself very soon.  I hope my story helps others.

Wapity
I had a laporoscopy on Jan 2nd 2009 to have my left ovary and left fallopian tune removed. I had a very large cyst on the overy.  It is jus tover 3 weeks since my surgery and the incision on my left side is red, warm to the touch and still oozing.  I am very tired and feel week when I try to do too much.  I do nothav a fever or anything.  has anyone else had this happen?  How long before I can expect to be "back to normal"?
Hi all,

I too had a Laparotomy on 31/12/2008. I went in knowing I had a large abdominal mass (16cm) and had showed signs of cancer markers in my bloods. I signed a long consent to whatever they had to do.. it ranged from a fibroid to ovarian tumor. Thankfully the tumor was benign and they removed my left ovary and fallopian tube and was given the all clear.
I too felt terrible and the pain was unbearable but I was also eager to go home as I found it difficult to rest in Hospital. I was discharged on day 4, the painkillers perscribed to me to take home did nothing for me and I couldnt sleep in bed as everytime I laid flat the pain tore through me, and sleeping on my side was a no no as I felt like my insides were being twisted. I found walking around helped me although once it hit the evening thats when the pain kicks in.
Its hard to describe but I experiance a lot of sharp pains in both my hips and down my left side, has anyone experiance the same? It has been 4 weeks and the pain has not gone.. somedays worse than others I have been back to my GP and been perscribed with antibotics for a urine infection which I finished last week and still the pain is there.
I was told a six week to twleve week recovery but Im not sure if I should be feeling this way, I get so tired and hungry all the time.. has anyone experianced the same? I be grateful for any advice.
Many thanks in advance.
I was just reading both your stories and im sorry to hear that things are not going so good for either of you.

Kathypoppins, it sounds like you have a wound infection.  You mention it being hot to touch and oozing, this is a sign of infection.  You should contact the ward you were in at the hospital for advice from the nurses and if need be they will advise you to go to your GP for antibiotics.  Feeling tired at 3 weeks is very normal so I would not be worrying about that.  Good luck.

Jenwa, you had quite a large mass removed so its no wonder you are still experiencing quite a bit of pain.  I understand what you mean about the pain when lying flat, my pain was relieved by my painkillers but I also found that putting a pillow under my legs (to raise them a little) when i was lying flat helped reduce the pain.  I am now almost 6 weeks post op and I still feel a little pain when Im lying on my side but its so much better than it was.  You mention sharp pains, down both hips and particularly your left side (where the work was done).  I have experienced similar to this but it tends to be when I have wind.  You wouldnt believe how much pain wind can cause, and it can also cause pain in places you wouldnt expect.  Mention it to your doctor anyway but Im sure its nothing for you to worry about.  Its major surgery you have had so its going to take your body a good while to recover.  Take care.
Thankyou for your reply.. and I hope your recovery is going well. You mentioned wind.. and now it makes sense as I tend to be very gassy. My scar too runs from my pubic bone to my belly button. I have been lucky as it has healed very well but my parents kept me on a strict diet as being chinese they believe that eggs and beef and prawns are not good after op. Eggs and prawns could increase infection and beef causes the scar to itch.. believe it or not its worked for me so far.
Take care too and thanks again for your reply , its so reassuring to hear from someone that has been through a similar operation. I was beginning to get worried ha ha.

x
You guys have really got me worried not about my upcoming surgery. Feb 10. I think they are calling it a diagnostic laposcopy (sp) They are initially going in to remove a tumor that is underneathe my aorta, but will be looking at my female organs due to the fact that my monthly cycles are off (to many periods) and I have pain in the left side. My gyno will do an ultra sound this coming week because she felt something on the left during the pelvic exam. If there is anything that needs to come out she will have the surgeon do it while removing the tumor. The tumor is not able to be biopsied due to the location and they can not tell for sure that it is not a cancerous tumor. They are hoping it will be the answer to my weight loss and night sweats. The night sweats could be due to me hitting menopaus (38). -30lbs in a year. I am 5'2 and weigh now 98lbs. I do have issues with my thyroid medication, I am either over medicated or undermedicated. I had a thyroidectomy 15yrs ago. I have also had to have my submandibular gland removed (10-08) due to a sialdentias  (chronic infection), and during my surgery for that they discovered a calcified ligament (Eagle Syndrome) and two calcified lymph nodes. This tumor they are removing is also calcified. I have also had an abscess that had two different kinds of infection in it on my left buttock, it was on the inside, they did the cut and drain twice due to the infection not going away. That took a month to clear up using 3 different antiboitics. They will be looking at my kidneys, I am currently being treated for Intestrial Cystis (FREQUENT urination) And last but not least, they will be looking at my adrenal glands.

Sorry, did not mean to tell my life story here....

I hope i am not in that much pain after mine. I only scheduled two weeks from work...
I had a laparotomy to remove a 12cm dermoid cyst and left ovary 9 days ago. There was also a small 3cm cyst on the right ovary. It was an emergency procedure performed just one hour after getting the results of an ultrasound test. So there was no way of me to prepare for it, as everything happened to quickly.
I have the ubiquitous ER horror story, but that's besides the point. I spent 9 hours in the ER, in immense pain, until finally an ultrasound was performed that revealed the mutant alien dermoid. I was misdiagnosed one week earlier when I went to ER for severe abdominal pains, with a kidney infection. Ten days later and down to the last 2 pills of cipro, the pains persisted and I knew something was seriously wrong.
Fortunately a OB/GYN had come in that evening and explained the diagnosis, for which there is no other alternative to surgical removal. A laparoscopy was not a viable option due to the size of the cyst, so that's why a laparotomy was the best way to go. The doctor said the procedure would take 1 hour but I woke up 3 hours from the last time I looked at the clock. I was heavily sedated and in tremendous pain, yet I was expected to lift myself from the gurney to my hospital bed like I didn't have a 6 inch gash above my pubic bone. The nurse gave me some morphine so I could sleep through the night but it didn't help because other nurses would wake me up to take blood or blood pressure.
Prior to the surgery, the doctor told me I could return to work the following Monday (4 days post-surgery) and was a bit surprised. From what I've been reading, 6 weeks is the normal time to heal properly. I'm supposed to return to work next week, which means 2 weeks post-surgery. I still feel a bit of discomfort and pain but each day it gets a little better. Vicodin doesn't do anything for me but make my groggy and tired--I still feel pain. So rather than risk becoming addicted to the "lazy" feeling, I stopped taking vicodin after the 2nd day. The hardest thing has been getting out of bed because I have nothing to hold onto. My advice, if you know you're going to have a laparotomy, is to do a lot of abdominal resistance exercises. They will help you and come in handy! I have pretty strong abs but have not done exercises in a while so I believe it has made recovery a little slower, but it's OK. I walk everyday, albeit slow and more like a shuffle, but it helps. Squats help too.
I still feel pain on the left side. I don't have a follow-up with the doctor until the day after I return to work, but I hope that it's not anything serious, just a normal internal recovery process. Don't beat yourself up for not healing fast enough. It's not like a cut on the finger! I don't recommend watching comedy either because it hurts to laugh..no joke! Take things at your pace. Truly, each person heals differently so you have to listen to your body and how it responds.
I had a laparotomy 2 weeks ago, left ovary and large ovarian cyst removed along with having a right ovarian cyst drained, I was in hospital for 5 days, my cysts were miss diagnosed in April 08 said I had a water infection, when infact it was a 13cm x 6cm cyst. This was not discovered until October 08 when I had an ultra sound scan. I was told it is very rare to have cysts on both ovaries, the Dr could not see my left ovary so told me I only had them on one side. In Nov 08 I had an MRI, shortly after this I had the surgery where the surgeon discovered my left ovary was infact worse than my right and therefor it had to be removed along with the cyst and my left fallopian tube. My right side was drained. After surgery the surgeon told me I was lucky to be alive as if I had been out in a shopping centre and it had burst I would not be here today. I urge anyone who has an incline that something is not right to ask for a second opinion, i only wish I had done that in April maybe then i wouldn't of had to have my ovary or fallopian tube removed. I now have Prostap injections once a month for 6 months, I do not know if I will ever be able to have children until I try. Has anyone had the same as me done and gone on to have a baby? I'm desperate for some reassurance
I am 19 years old and just found out that i have a 15 cm cyst on my right ovary. The doctors said usually they do a laparoscopy to remove cysts but due to the size of it I'm thinking they will have to do a laparotomy instead. My main concern is the recovery time. I am a full time student and I am a waitress at a very busy restaurant which involves me to move around a lot. Do you think due to the size i will need a laparotomy? I am worried about taking time off of school and work. I have rent/bills to pay and also don't want to fall behind in school.

Will a cyst this size more than likely need a laparotomy? Thus resulting in a long painful recovery?
i had a laparoscopy to remove al arge bleeding cyst on my right ovary and ended up haviong my ovary removed as well as it had caused so much damage. i am going back to work on monday which will have been 2 weeks since surgery. i currently only work part time so im hoping i will manage but i am still pretty sore and extemly tired. my main wound where the ovary was removed is still extremly sore, the doctor said it looks angryand i am just to keep an eye on it over teh next week
Jaymers-I would not recommend going back to work right away. I believe you can claim disability through your employer. Each state varies. I was alotted sick leave for the first 5 days and the additional 5 were covered under state disability benefits. Also, look into FMLA.  (Google it for more information.) The first week was a struggle to stand up and getting out of bed was the worst. I think you should take it easy the first week and then see how you feel but make sure you see the doctor before you return to work. It's now 3 weeks post-op and I'm at about 85%. The most important healing is internal so you need to ensure you don't do something that will cause the healing to be impeded.

hayls1985-You will be sore for awhile. My cyst was thought to be the size of a softball but turned out to be be larger. The left side where the cyst was and the ovary removed is still swollen but trust that each day you will get better. If you need more time off, you should talk with your doctor. I was given either a 2 week doctor's note or a 6 week. I should have taken the 6 weeks, just because I wanted 1 extra week to relax before jumping back into the stressful work environment.
Just wondering if anyone knows roughly the recovery time for a removal of a ovary, also scar tissue.  I only took 1 week after my operation.  i wonder how i will feel and if that is enough time.  i work in a office but i have 60 stairs to climb to get to my office.  Can anyone give me a heads up on this
I am so pleased to have found this site.  I had a laparotomy on 31st March.  I went into hospital for a laparoscopy to remove a 10 cm multilocular cyst on my left ovary.  At the time they could not rule out cancer.  For what was a simple procedure I was in surgery for over 4 hours and lost a litre and a half of blood as they found much smaller cysts and endometriosis all over my ovaries and matted to my pelvis.  I ended up with a laparotomy.  They removed both of my ovaries and cleaned them up then put them back! I was given very little advice on discharge from hospital and don't have a follow up appointment until mid August.  My tummy is huge and bloated and the pain worsens during the day.  I have been to the gp as I felt like I had a water infection and felt constant pressure within my pelvis.  My GP said that I should mention it to my specialist when I go there in August.  I have been told that I should not go back to work for 12 weeks to allow it to heal completely.  I am now for weeks on and though I can move around better I am still sore.  My belly is overhanging where my stitches were so it is hard to check them and my belly still feels a bit numb in places.  I thought that it was just me and I was not healing in the way I should be but reading this forum has reassured me that it is normal to feel this way and to have these symptoms.  I hope that all of the other ladies on this site also recover quickly.
I just had the surgery 6 days ago.  They removed my left ovary.  Orginally, they were only supposed to drain the very large functional cyst that was causing me pain, but once they got in, say the ovary was neucrotic (sp) and had move to the other side of my belly!  So, In all they made 4 cuts! Belly button, one on each side of my abdomen, and 3 inch cut in my bikini line (which I agree is the most painful of the 4).

Since surgery, I have done quite bit of moving around, albeit uncomfortable at times, but I stopped taking the pain medicine (they had me on a norco pump) the day after surgery because it was causing constipation.  What with the pain and gas from that, it was worse than the surgery pain.  I never even bothered to fill my prescription for vicodin.  

6 days later, and I'm planning to go to work tomorrow!  I'm sore, but find that the most discomfort is trying to sit up from a laying posting (love the lady bird on its back reference) and having to cough (Oh god, that's the worst).  But I just hold my belly and do what I can.

I too have the over hanging, swollen abdomen, but hope that after my first menstrual this will start to go down.  I'm also on birth control since before the surgery which may explain why I'm not experiencing the hormonal issues that some have expressed. No crunches for me in the near future, but looking at some work out options that may help strengthen my core (any ideas?)

I find that getting out and getting some sunshine has worked wonders for me! Each morning, I feel a little better which is extremely encouraging.  My digestive system still isn't regulated, so sometimes I do feel the pressure in the evening from the food pressing down.
I just had surgery yesterday 5/14/09.  I went in as an outpatient procedure and was told I had a golf ball size cyst on my right ovary and that I would have the cyst removed and possibly the ovary.  The procedure was laprascopic and they made an incision in my belly button and and bikini line.  My surgery was at 11:40am and they discharged me at 2pm.  I am having severe pain in my belly button incision and it had some bleeding last night, I don't even feel the bikini line incision.  I barely slept last night and I am taking Vicodin for the pain which really doesn't seem to be helping one bit.  I woke up this morning to sunburned and extremly warm cheeks which now I have been told by the anesthesiologist that it is an allergic reaction to the adhesive tape they used to close my eyes and the tube down my throat.  I now have a fever and am waiting for my surgeon to call back.  I planned on going back to work Tuesday 5/19 and now they are telling me to expect to be out for 7-10 days when I have my post surgical checkup....
can anyone tell me why my belly feels like a burning sensation. i had my right ovary removed due to endomet on may22 and everytime i go to get up from laying down i get a sharp pinching feeling on my left side,what is this,is it just tenderness or something else.my checkup is not until june22nd.
Hi all
I had a 5cm dermoid cyst removed from right ovary 5 weeks ago. The surgeon said he could remove it laparoscapy but when he went in through the belly button it was too close to the ovary so I had a laparatomy as well, which as some of you said it is a big shock when not expecting it. 5 weeks on I still have a swollen bulge above the laparotomy incision which is below the bikini line and my stomach feels sore, swollen and with lumps under the skin in the muscle. The would itself is flat, clean and looks OK it is just the area above which is swollen. The belly button incision got infected and has now cleared after antibiotics and healed but there is also a small lump under that one too. The muscles either side of my belly button are also sore and a bit lumpy. I was expecting by now that the swelling in my stomach would have gone down, but it seems that many of you are still swollen after this length of time post surgery. I'm also getting twinging pain in the area where the dermoid was and the area skin above the scar is still numb, I believe it can take quite a while for the nerves to grow back.
My goodness, these blogs have me depressed!!  Sorry, and not to be disrespectful or anything - but  I had my right ovary and tube removed about 5 years ago - no big deal!  I was back at work within a week - none of this pain, etc that is mentioned in these blogs!   Now I am looking at the other one being removed soon, as they have discovered a cyst, so I thought I would log on and catch up on the latest treatment, recovery, etc....  wow, was I in for a shock.  I am not sure what's wrong with the majority of these issues - maybe infection, etc???  but I sure hate it for anyone getting ready for this surgery to have to read these blogs - goodness, it would scare anyone to death!!!!  I am here to tell you however, that what I had done (5 years ago!!!) was a piece of cake...so good luck to everyone1!!!
Hello This is Sunnie. I had a laparotomy Sep.1. I had two cysts removed one from each side.However thank god no cancer and I kepy my organs.One was nine cm one was seven cm. It's almost been three weeks.I dont know if what I'm still feeling is normal.I call the docs they jsut say come in and for 400.00 bucks I will tell ya nothing and take  a pill...lol
The cut it not painfull to me,I have stiches from the insde.I went home a day later I had the tape strips over it and took them off the following week. No pain in that. However the pain I get it a sharp pain in my tummy sometimes and I'm so bloated most the times.like I have to release gas and for nothing I cant I end up burping it out.I do relase little bits but still hurts to push,I get a tighness in my tummy.I did not have a BM till the seventh day of being home that was god awful..WOW that hurt I  must warn anyone of that.So sorry. The swelling looks ugly still like a have a shelf above the cut and it soild,thats was hurts is the swelling and the bloatedness from gas. Does that lump go away at all.
I still have a hard time wearing underwear and pants it hits the swollen area. Lost and going nuts I just wanna be me again
Had a baby girl July 28th.  Normal delivery, actually a VBAC for me.  3 weeks later, I started getting really bad pains all over my stomach.  several calls to doctor & an office visit & nothing was found.  Ended up in the ER - a scan showed what appeared to be a 9cm cyst on rt ovary & torsioning of the tube.  Couldn't bear the pain, so opted for laproscopic surgery to remove the cyst 2 days later.  Woke up from surgery to find out it wasn't a cyst, but a serious infection.  How the bacteria (alpha strep) got there - not clear, b/c I didn't have any tears in my uterus & had an unassisted delivery.  I'm wondering if breaking my water could've had something to do with it.  2 days in the hospital & large doses of antibiotics & went home. I knew things weren't right & was back in the ER 2 days later, in pain & with fever, labor day weekend.  This time, emergency laporatomy - they took my tubes & right ovary.  So much for avoiding the c-section this pregnancy.  Woke up to the big cut, staples, catheter & an NG tub hanging out of my news - oh yeah & a morphine drip.  Less than 12 hrs later, cath out & I was walking around.  In lots of pain, I'd imagine if I hadn't hit the morpine button 42 times one hour - it's a good thing they only released a drip every 6 minutes!  Didn't eat for about 5 days.  Had the tube in for almost 4 days until my intestines woke up.  Couldn't wait to get home to my baby girl & toddler boy & amazing husband.  3 wks out, I'm still in a lot of pain.  After a couple of good days, I start doing more & cutting down on meds, but then the pain seems to get unbearable.  On ibuprophen round the clock, with a couple of percocet a day.  Also still on antibiotics, but hoping to kick them early next week.  I just asked my doc point blank how much longer I'd need to depend on the ibuprophen & got an answer that shocked me - 6-8 wks!!!  I wasn't really told how long the recovery would be, and then I heard 4 wks - I'm 3 wks now & find it hard to believe that I'll be recovered by next week.  I'm sure every case is different & having had the infection & 2 surgeries, I'm probably not at the top of my game to bounce back so fast.  But I hope to get over the hump soon - it's been a lot on my hubby, kids & family too.  

Wishing everyone a speedy & smooth recovery.
Hi, today is Sunday-two days ago I had my right ovary and tube removed via laproscopic surgery. The surgery took three hours instead of the expected one hour due to scar tissue from endometriosis.  I had a 10 cm cyst on the right ovary.  I feel a bit better today than the surgery day and yesterday.  Still very, very sore and stiff and have not been able to have a bowel movement.  I hate the pain meds-oxycodone and try to bear the pain without taking the meds.  Any suggestions on how to help my bowels along and have a bm?  i think it would help me feel much better.  Also, what kind of recovery should I expect?  How long, side effects, etc.  Thanks for any info and all the best to anyone dealing with this.
try warm prune juice.  a nurse gave some to me in the hospital after my first laproscopic surgery - it really got things going.  
Five days post-op today and I am feeling so much better. Belly is still tender but I can move around much easier and I feel like myself more and more each day.To jlo420 - thanks so much for the advise about the prune juice-it worked like a charm :)

Hang in there everyone, the first couple of days after surgery are painful but it does get better-trust me.  Be good to yourself, take it slow and rest-don't overdo.  Take care.
Hi there.  I'm 28 years old.  I just had a Laparotomy to remove a 10cm dermoid cyst 5 weeks ago in my left ovary.  My doctor gave me 8 weeks off.  Today is my 6th week and I still don't feel good yet.  My 10cm incision was made under my bikini line (very grateful for that).  However I'm not healing as fast as I'm hoping for.  At first the incision had brown liquid coming out and then it turned to yellow.  After one area of the incision close up then another area of the incision opens up again with fluids coming out.  This is my 6th week and there's still an opening on the incision that has yellow fluids coming out.  I already ate a week worth of antibiotics.  My doctor say it'll just need more time to heal.  HOW LONG DID IT TAKE EVERYONE ELSE TO HAVE THEIR WOUND 100% CLOSED????  The wound area is still a bit soar and it feels numb around it.  I'm tired all the time.  I can't stand or walk for too long.  I feel so weak all the time.  Most of the time I'm laying there on my bed.  Now I'm not sure if 8 weeks is enough time for me to heal!  And as for the constipation problem for some people, PRUNE JUICE definite works.
Hi everyone,

I had a laparotomy on Sept 15th.  I was told I would be in the hospital for three days.  
In Feb I had my internal ultrasound which put the dermoid cyst at 7x8cm.
In April I had a MRI which put it at 9x10cm.  When it was removed it was a 16lb 17x15cm.

When I got to the hospital the anesthesiologist asked me if I was willing to have an epidural instead of being put under.  I am so completely terrified of needles but I have also been put under and it takes me forever to wake up.  
I agreed to have the epidural and would recommend it to anyone.  They gave me the shot in my back and before I could say my name I couldn`t feel anything.  They gave me a sedative and I slept the entire time until they woke me up and said ok all done.   this also meant that there was not a tube put down my throat, they also didn`t have to tape my eyes shut.
Laparotomy by epidural can you imagine... I couldn`t either but was the best thing I could have done.    

I wasn`t prepared for being wide awake in recovery and not being able to feel my legs but the nurse was amazing and kept talking to me, she said she wasn`t used to people being alert.  Within a couple of hours I had feeling back and it was worth it.
It worked because I didn`t have to spend a day recovering from the anesthesia, which got me home in two days instead of three.  My catheter was taken out in 18 hours and they took away my morphine pump in less then 24 because I wasn`t using it enough.
As most have said the bloating and gas pain is painful but manageable after the first week.  Rolling over in bed or sitting up again the worst for a week then it get better every day.
I have been off work for 8 weeks and yes I am tired but I think it has to do with being able to nap everyday....I feel great and also know not to work too hard yet but my family is happy I can now vacuum, sweep, and lift the laundry.

Only takes time but I promise the worst part will be over before you know it (first week is spent in bed). Your body will tell you when you should back up and lay down.

Before my laparotomy i had a laparoscopy to remove my gall bladder.  What you are talking about sounds like you should go back and have it restitched.  Only requires going to your GP and a small local.  I also had that done and it made all the difference in the world with the pain.
hello there,

i am glad to hear somebody's like me (re:taking longer to heal) . i had laparotomy aug 28 this year and was given 6 weeks off, but until now have not returned back to work. reason? my wound is taking much longer to heal. they have to cut through keloid scars you see, the doctor explained it would take longer for that to heal. this morning, i have prepared my self to go to work as it has been 10 weeks post op, but the throbbing pain on my wound site and the tenderness and soreness made me not go after all. i still need a dressing as it still feels really raw and sore, i still can't wear jeans or trousers and knickers that sits low on the waist as i really feel it. i don't know when it will feel ok but walking fast or long still makes it feel sore. i am a bit frustrated as i want to feel normal again quickly. i want to go back to the gym, work and dancing again but the soreness restricts me still.  this was my 2nd surgery for a 2nd ectopic so they have to cut through my keloid scar.
hi, im wondering how long it takes to recover after gettin both my tubes removed. It started of with the doctors thinking i mite have a cyst on my right ovary as i had an internal scan and my consultant found a shadow on the ovary.  I then went on to have a laprascopsy to remove 'cyst'.  It turned out that my tube and bowel were attatched to my appendix scar. (My appendix bursted when i was young).  The pain recoverin from laprascopsy was terrible i was so tired and sore. i could not lie down or sit up straight. it was so frustrating. i went back to work 12 days after operation, which now i def realise was far too short recovery time.   I have a low pain barrier lol. can any1 advise a proper recovery period. Thanks a million and good luck all
I had my right ovary removed last Wednesday Nov. 11 and some scar tissued removed as well.  I had a laparoscopy, have a cut in my belly button and 2 small ones below that.  I didn't do anything the day after surgery.  By Friday I was at least up and showered and feeling much better.  It's now Sunday and doing really good.  Went to church and grocery store.  Just be careful as you tire really easy.  About 8 years ago I had a cyst on my left overy.  My doctor removed the cyst back then and within a month I was back in surgery again to have the ovary removed as another cyst formed.  He left my right ovary in as I was only 39 or 40 at that time.  Back then the recovery was about like now, faily easy.  Doctor said I could go back to work whenever I feel like it.  The only discomfort I have and it is minor is the pulling around the stitches.  I don't normally write on these but I read through quite a bit and just wanted to let everyone know not all experiences are bad.  The main thing is to listen to your body.  It will tell you if you are doing too much.  Good luck to anyone researching this for an upcoming surgery.  
Thanks,
J
Hi all,
Jamaples, I agree with you to listen to your body, the only thing is that sometimes your body does not tell you it rather show you.  I had a surgical laparoscopy oct 13 and it was not easy, I was told it would be a piece of cake but not so much.  After two weeks my doctor told me I could get back to my regular routine which I was dying to do.  I asked if I could exercise and he said yes but still waited an extra week.  I started with no problem and it was my second week working my butt off.  Unfortunatelly I found a small hole on one of my incisions and it freaked me out, there is no pain or pus or anything so I thought it was normal....to my surprise a day later my right incision had a small opening and I called the doctor they told me it was normal and to put vitamin E.  I did mention that the only difference was my working out and did not tell me to stop.  I am very worried, guess I should've kept off my work-outs and waited a bit longer.  I was also avoiding lotions or anything for that matter on my incisions after the surgery so it was always dry and with the running and lifting must've irritated the incisions.  I have also experience stomach discomfort but this has been since the very beginning, not to mention the bloating that seems to stay with you for quite some time.  I guess everyone recovers different and what works for some don't necessarily work for all.  Take your time recovering and take care because nothing should be worth more than to feel 100%  Don't rush as I did, surgeries can take longer to heal and because the outside seems normal does not mean the inside is ready.  Its better to be safe than sorry so slow down, let nature take its course!!  Good Luck everyone!!!!!
I just wanted to share my experience because it was helpful reading everyone else’s.  I am 28 years old with no children and I missed my period for 2 months in a row so my doctor did an internal ultrasound to look for problems.  She found a 5cm cyst on my left ovary that she thought was a dermoid cyst and said she would probably have to remove it.  She observed it for 4 weeks and then said it grew to 7cm so she scheduled a laparoscopic surgery for 7:00 a.m. 2 weeks later.

It turned out to be a chocolate cyst the size of an orange and stage III endometriosis (which is weird because I have no symptoms). They initially went in with a scope through my belly button, but had to do a laparotomy instead.  I woke up with one staple in the belly button incision and seven staples in an about 4 inch incision at my bikini line.  

When I woke up I was scared because I could feel the bikini line incision and wasn’t expecting it at all.  I also had a catheter and oxygen max.  After what seem like forever they wheeled me to my room and my husband and mom came in and explained what happened.  I only really had pain in my stomach when I moved or coughed/laughed.  They would not take the catheter out until I had “bowl sounds” which happened the next morning.  After they took that out I was able to have a drink which I was so thankful for because my throat was super dry and flemmy from not being able to drink or cough.  After peeing on my own, passing gas (they were really concerned about this which kept grossing me out), eating solid food and going on a ten minute slow walk I got to go home about 3:00 the day after surgery.  I had a morphine drip in the hospital but never used it, which the doctors and the nurses seem really surprised about, but it only hurt when I moved to I just didn’t move.  I also recommend keeping a pillow on your belly and pushing down to prepare for coughing and laughing.

The doctor gave me two pain killer prescriptions and I’m 6 days post op and have not filled them.  I feel like I’m recovering pretty fast.  It is still sore when I go from laying to sitting, but I am having little pain when I go from sitting to standing. By my 4 days post op I was able to sleep on my side which my back was very happy about.  I had my first BM 3 days post op and it wasn’t as bad as I thought, but I would recommend stool softners during your recovery. The incision looks like it is healing with no puss or bleeding.  I was 5’2 134lbs (a little chubby) pre-op and now I’m down to 128 which makes me happy (I’m not sure how much the cyst weighed).  It now looks like I have two little guts I think from the swelling one normal one and then another one in between the 1st one and the incision (sorry hard to describe).

I am having gas pain in my shoulders.  It usually happens when I go from walking around back to laying down.  I can feel the big bubble travel up there.  It hurts quite a bit and massaging it helps.  I thought it would be gone by now.

My doctor said no work for 2 weeks and then work from home for 2 more weeks.  I am an accountant so my work does not require much movement.  I feel like I could go back on Monday, but I also don’t want to mess anything up long term or slow healing.  I go back tomorrow to get the staples out so I’m hoping she will change the working from home to maybe half days or every other day.

If you are still reading…..sorry this is so long, I just know reading the details helped me :)
Hi guys.  Just an update on my condition.  Since the Surgery on Sept 21, 2009.  I still have 2 areas on my cut that's still open.  I won't close up.  3 weeks ago my doc (specialist) have use an acid stick to go around the open wounds so it will create more fresh flesh to close up the wound.  But this did not work.  My specialist said this will heal eventually, but i'm not so sure about that anymore.  Also my family doctor said he doesn't think my wound will heal and he wants to do a mini surgery to cut off a bit of the flesh on the edge of the open wound and then stitch me back.  This will ensure I won't have anymore open wound.  I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE?  The specialist or the family doctor?  I have been out of work ever since the surgery.  I feel like I have put my life on a pause button.  Does anyone have any suggestion????
I recently (10 December 2009) had a laparoscopy for the removal of severe endo.....

In the past I have experienced anorexia and am concerned regarding the emotional/mental effects that the post-surgery bloating may have on my 'sense of self'.

Could anyone shed some light on how long to expect the post-surgery bloating (ie pregnant-look) to last, and any methods/suggestions on how to safely treat/relieve this bloating?

Wishing you all health and happiness....

Kind regards,
Hayley

Kind regards,
Hayley
I actually got skinner after the surgery.  I think it's mainly due to eating smaller portions but more often.  Cuz I tend not to have the appetite so I eat a little at a time.  It's important to eat so you can heal better and faster.  And get plenty of rest!  If you are bloating right now, I'm sure it'll go down in time.  

I don't know if in your condition whether you get a lot of time to rest at home.  But in my condition I did and still is.  I tend to get depressed being at home all the time.  So I got a new hair cut.  I would put make-up on and do my hair just like I was going out, but not going anywhere....lol.  This helped me built some confidence in myself and made myself feel better.  I hope this helps you a little?
i had my surgery on 1st week of MAR/09. i had big fluid cyst got removed along with left ovary and tube and also got treated for endometriosis by laser. i got recovered from surgery couple of months with all bloating ... the pain was terrible. after 2 weeks of recovery Dr put me on 3 month birth control pills. i am not planning to get pregnant anymore. In 1st 3 months i had lot of break-ups but right i got used to pills. bloating is not bothering much. but problem is when ever i put on my tight pants or after grocery shopping if carry the bags i am getting naval pain on my left side where left ovary got removed. if i am not lying down and not taking rest. the pain gets intense it goes all over my left thigh and leg. after that i take pain killer and take rest for at least a day or couple of days. then i am back to normal. i get this pain several hrs after having sex. i get this pain only in my left ovary removed area and that pain will be a throbbing pain and that gets intense and goes all to my left leg. does any one have any idea why i get this pain? also i get pain when i do excersice for my tummy on ball.
Hi There!

I don't think this pain should be happening to you when your surgery was 9 months ago?  I think you should get a MRI or a CT scan to see if the inside of your stomach is healing ok?  What does your doctor say when you tell him about the pain?
the doctors say that it is the endo causing the pain. but i dont feel like that. so i think that i should change the Dr. and consult. all the Dr's in that group gives me the same info they are not even checking me.
Thank you all for sharing your stories. It has been extremely helpful to know that there are so many other women going through the same things I am. I am 3 weeks post Laparotomy.

I was originally scheduled for a Laparscopy to remove a 10cm cyst on my left ovary, but once they looked inside they found my large cyst had invited many little friends and that they brought a truckload of Endo. to the party. Needless to say I was extremely upset upon waking up to find that I had lost an ovary, had 4+ weeks of recovery and an incurable disease that may cause cancer and infertility.

I have many of the same pains, exhaustion and fears you all describe and on top of it, the weight gain in my middle is completely unnerving. (Really? I have to add buying a new wardrobe to the list of grievances? ;) I am still taking this recovery day by day, some better than others.

There were a few medications I found invaluable. Doc-Q-lace and Gas-Ex ( the pain from gas is enough to stop your heart) I also found that Ambien was a wonderful way to get a good night's sleep ( I tried really hard not to take any narcotic painkillers, after leaving the hospital) Lastly, make sure your doctor checks your Iron levels. You may need a supplement. Be sure to get the proper info on taking Iron supplements. (not the same time as antibiotics, with caffeine etc.)
I wish all of you a safe procedure and speedy recovery,
Hi I am new to this, but am glad to hear all of your experiences.  Ill share you mine...I was suppose to be in for Day Surgery!!

I am 3 weeks post laparotomy which started out as laporoscopy for endometriosis and ended up laparotomy for perforated bowel.

My initial complaint was chronic hip pain in my right hip, which has totally gone now thanks to the surgery, it was due to scarring on the uteral sacro ligament. The bowel perforation was unfortunate as during the endo surgery a colo-rectal surgeon was called to release adhered bowel, not due to endo, hence it was perforated.

Complications arose from this as my bowels decided to 'shut up shop,' called paralytic ileus, until day 9 post surgery. I was not able to leave hospital until I had passed gas and a bowel motion, which was not happening.  My stomach was sooooo distended and I kept throwing up green bile, as it was not going through my bowels.   I was extremely constipated and on day 10 was able to produce a 'chocolate drop' with extreme pain, as all the stool softners the hospital were giving me were not getting through the paralyised bowel .  I was not able to have any enemas of any kind because of the stiching repair to the bowel.  

I had movicol 3 times a day, which I  am still taking. Just had a followup ct scan, as was experiencing back ache and on/off temperatures, which revealed chronic constipation. The constipation was giving off toxins which were poisoning me.   I have been having 3xBM a day for the past 3 days finally, but still having temperature.

Im able to walk around for 40 minutes a day, and rest as much as I can. Ive been told to expect 6-8 week recovery, but 3 months for total recovery.  It seems to be going soooo slowly....But I am being good.    
Hi, this has been SUCH a useful thread, although I agree with the comments that I'm quite glad I've read it post, rather than pre, op! I think for those preparing for surgery, the best advice is; it's a bit like childbirth, you'll hear all the stories, but your own experience (and the wisdom of your own body) are unique..
On the good side, I'm glad the uncertainty about my 5cm cyst's over; it's been hanging around as an issue for about a year, with intermittent concern for the three year before that too. At least I won't have to think about it again, once the histology is finally back in 4 weeks (why does it always take so long??)

My own story is that I knew from the start I couldn't have laparoscopy. The surgeon wanted to have a 'good look around' as there were cystic changes on both sides.

I felt reasonably calm and cheerful going down to theatre.
I was quite surprised by the pain in the scar when I eventually woke up, still in a morphine haze. I kept the button on the pump quite busy overnight, but that was taken away together with the catheter on day one.
I also had to have a shower with assistance the following morning, about 18 hours post op, whereupon I immediately burst into tears! Quite an ordeal.
The hospital  food was appalling, and my appetite was very poor. Everything felt like straw with a light dusting of concrete powder to eat. I'd thought I would be ravenous after light diet then fasting, but no...
The nurses insisted we had to get up to the table to eat. Cruel to be kind I suppose.
I found the lack of privacy difficult too, one loo between four lovely ladies but I was a bit paranoid about infection.
The wind pains were amazingly intense, but everything got going eventually. Definitely a time to leave your dignity at the door....
Glad but amazed to be out on day 2, crawling along.
The car journey was interesting for road bumps, to say the least.
I had to fly home on day 4, SO glad I ordered a wheelchair for a VIP experience. (don't hesitate to do this if it applies!)

Now I'm day 12 post op. The wound is lovely, just a bit pink, no stitches to come out.
I still have bursts of lightheadedness when I need to lie down and sometimes sleep, I believe it's the anaesthetic coming out of my system. You just have to go with the body's wisdom again.
I've been cleaning out things in the house, it's hard to pace myself and not overdo it, but I feel like I'm nesting again (ironic, since it's the opposite situation!)
It's so rare for me to have this time out at home, I feel I can't lose the opportunity but I'm aware that I definitely need this time to recover.
I think 6 weeks is a reasonable period off work, especially if there's any chance of lifting and twisting.
My abdomen is very mishapen and tight at the end of the day. I'm really hoping I'll be able to fit into my work clothes in another 4 weeks or so! THat muffin top over the scar looks like a cliff overhang, I hope it will settle down.

Best of luck to all those who're off for surgery.
Remember why we're doing it, to prevent future health issues and the peace of mind is so worth temporary discomfort!
I have been reading all your stories so thought id share mine.
In October 2009 i was experiencing sharp stabbing pain in the right sideof my groin. A little worried i went to see my GP. Waiting 2 weeks to see him. I was sent for an ultra sound and was shown that i had a growth on my right ovary. I didnt quite understand the scale of the ultra sound. Saw the specialist who was the surgeon which was quite reassuring. I had a dermoid cyst that measured 10 x 8 cm. This had to be removed. They were going to try a laparoscopy but because of the size, didnt think possible as the cysts are filled with a fluid that will poison you if leaked into the body. I was booked in for my operation on New Years Eve and i guess i wasnt really prepared for what i was in for. I have to admit i was very scared before the surgery. guess it is the unknown. When i came out of surgery in the recovery room, when i came round i was immediately aware of the pain in my lower stomach. It turned out that when they opened me up the cyst had grown to 12cmx10cm and had my fallopian tube stuck to it and it had smothered the ovary. So it all had to be removed. Not too pleased as im 28 and havent had children yet. But it had to be done. Plenty of morphine for me. I was in agony. I didnt expect it to hurt that much. Back on the ward to was given a morphine drip and also had a catheter. For the remainder of that day i was pretty out of it with the anasethic still working and the morphine.  Day 2 in the hospital. I was told i had to get up and move about. This not great as the morphine kept me drowsy and very dizzy. I decided to come off it. Within a few hours or so i felt better in the head, not so woozy but i didnt realise how uncomfortable is would be to move myself. Just moving in the bed was painful enough. Once lying down and still i was ok and once stood up and not moving i was ok it was the part inbetween that got me the most. I ad to be able to walk and pee before i was let out. Although i was walking like a duck. I was discharged after 3 days and as soon as i got home i felt ten times better. My stomach was swollen that much that i looked like i was pregnant.  Within a week the majority of the swelling had gone down. My cut is about 8 inches across but is very low, so not visable in a bikini which is good. I have been off work for  2 weeks although working from home in the second week. And this week currently i have been back at work part time. I still feel a little uncomfortable and am suffering back ache now which i never had before. But all in all at the very beginning i had never experience anything like this and never thought it would end but 3 weeks on i know im feeling 1000 per cent better, just need to get back to normal slowly and safely. My only other concern now is if i get the same on the left ovary. I am going to see my GP in feb 2010 for my check up and see if there is an ultra sound or check up i can have to prevent getting in the same situation as i do want children in the future. I know it seems strange but does anyone how long it should be before sexual activity can be resumed and i dont want to do any futher damaged to my already repairing body.  
Thank you for posting your stories here.  I've searched everywhere for information on recovery time.  I'm grateful to come across these stories!  In my case, I had a stomach ache on Dec. 18, but unusually high.  By the middle of the night, the pain had radiated down to my lower right quadrant.  I went to my family physician, and she sent me immediately to the ER.  She suspected either my appendix or an ovarian cyst (I had one in the past the size of a softball, but it was reabsorbed and I was fine).  The ER took forever in getting a CT scan, and it turned out to be acute appendicitis.  It took another nine hours to have my first emergency laparoscopy to remove my ruptured, gangrene appendix - apparently it was encapsulated though.  24 hours later, I was back in the OR with an open laparatomy treating the peritonitis infection.  It'll be five weeks since my surgery this weekend, and I'm still in a lot of pain.  The incisions (three laparoscopic holes, one large laparotomy incision, and one drain hole) appear to be healing nicely, but I'm still sore all over that side of my body.  I did have a followup with my surgeon two weeks after my laparatomy, and he said don't lift anything for six weeks but gave me no restrictions on when to return to work, driving, or other everyday activities.  I decided to return to work three weeks after the surgery, and I'm now wondering if this was a little too soon.  I teach elementary school, and although I've tried to be careful not to lift anything, twist, or bend too much, I was really tired and sore and even breathless the first few days.  This past week was slightly easier, but not much.  The past two days have been horrible, but I did just start my first period since my surgery so I'm attributing the cramping to that...  I made my own followup with my family physician for next week and I'm hoping he can shed some more light on just exactly how long it might take to heal from all of this since the surgeon's office doesn't seem to be very helpful.  From what I've come across in my reading online, I'm going to guess that it may take two or even three months to start to finally feel like normal again.  All I know is that this makes my recent acl knee reconstruction feel like a walk in the park!  I'll try to post with updates as they come along.  Best of luck to all of you for a speedy recovery.  
I'm surprise to hear you have recovered so quickly.  But I still suggest you to take some more time off.  As for your question regarding sexual intercourse.  I didn't engage sexual intercourse for almost 4 months.  But I guess that depends on the person.  But just like to be safe then sorry.
Hi there

After my surgery, I was at home recovering for 4 months.   Just recently got back to work on a Gradual Return to Work Plan.  I think you should take more time off from work to rest if you could.  Cuz if you don't rest up now, it could create more problems for you later on in life.
1)   Pain relief / recovery
2)   Nutrition / diet

It is now almost 2 weeks since I had laparotomy and laparoscopy procedures to remove 2 Dermoid Cysts (29.3cm R and 6cm L), along with my right ovary.

Considering the size of the cyst on my right ovary (and the pressure it put on my organs), I have been fortunate with my symptoms pre and post op and my Consultant and GP are pleased with my recovery.

However,  I feel in much need of advice and guidance on what I can and cannot do.     My 'aftercare' comprised of a few leaflets, with suggested timescales on when I'll be able to return to day-to-day tasks and some suggested physiotherapy exercises.   The emphasis was very much on 'everyone recovers differently'.    

A couple of days ago, full of confidence that I was recovering well, I (foolishly) cut back on my pain relief, ventured out to the local shops (walked for 40 mins, although no lifting), did some light house work and had a friend around for dinner (my partner cooked, but I engaged in conversation for 2-3 hours ).

Half way through the evening I began to fully realise how much my pain relief was masking my symptoms.    I felt physically drained, my scar was throbbing, my abdominal area ached and my posture collapsed.

My plans to make the most of my recovery doing all those tasks I’ve been meaning to do for ages, taking on a new hobby, reconnecting with friends etc have now been setback and whereas I’d previously felt upbeat about returning to work in a few weeks and resuming everyday life I now feel slightly disheartened.

I would be grateful for some advice on:  

1) How long I should be reliant on painkillers for, I have been provided 1 months worth, so have 2 weeks to go, but ideally, by week 3 I’d like to cut back from 3 a day to 2 a day.     This would also prevent me from undertaking tasks I shouldn’t really be doing (whilst my pain is being controlled by the medication) and getting any more ‘false hopes’.

2) Nutrition and Diet:    Having had 2 ovarian cysts and losing my right ovary I would like to do what ever I can to prevent reoccurrences and preserve my precious left ovary as I have the added setback of my age (35) and would like to take time to get back to optimum health and fitness before trying for a baby.    Are there things that I should / shouldn’t be eating and drinking that would benefit me?
1)  2 weeks are definitely NOT enough time for you to be going around like that.  Give it at least a month!  2 months would be best.  As for pain killers:  1 month worth definitely needed.  But I hope it's not Tylenol 3 cuz that stuff is bad for you.  If you are on prescripted pain killer, maybe start trying regular over the counter painkillers.  Your body won't heal that fast if you had a surgery (cut).  Different layers of your stomach was opened up.  When they stitch you up, they would of had to stitch up different layers inside the stomach.  Even if the external wound looks to be healing.  Internally, it will still need more time.

2)  Eat less portion but more often.  Especially right after a surgery, you want to make sure you have at least 1 bowel movement per day.  And of course, eat healthy.

I hope this helps.
Surgery 1/20/2010  to remove ovarian cysts and endometriosis scars leave ovaries intact
Laparoscopy did not work as Dr. found a large fibroid in my uterus so laparotomy it was. I howevedr did not find out until post op nearly a week later, I did not bother to look belly as it was swollen and did not want to see it kept it covered and even when I showered I did not want to touch. Dr. said I could return to work on the 10th day after the surgery. My body however disagreed she gave me an additional week off.
I am on my 10th day now post op and I do not know that in 7 more days I will be up for the task. Driving and moving around leaves me exhausted, and in major pain nightly.  I know work will be much more demanding. I frankly do not know what to do I hate to have to continue extending and I am wondering if my Dr. knows that 2 weeks is not enough recovery time. Dr. told me I can work out move around drive and even have sex when my body just tells me to stop. I am scheduled back at work 17 days after the surgery and I am seriously doubting even with 7 days to go that I will be able to do this, even at 27 years old I do not know where I will find the strenght I feel like she is pushing me and I do not know that this is healthy.  
Hi there

You should definitely go back to your doctor and have your sick leave extended.  If your specialist is not very generous about time off then you can go to a family doctor cuz they can write you time off too.  After a surgery, you should have at the very least 4 - 8 weeks off.  After my surgery, I was off for 4 months and now I'm on a 6 weeks gradual return program.  It's important not to go back when you are not ready.  Or else ur body will pay for it afterwards.  When you do go back to work.  Do a Gradual Return to Work if you can work something out with your company.  Start off with half days and slowly increase your hours.  Hope this helps.
I had an emergency laparoscopy and salpinjostomy leading to a laparotomy on 02/12/09 for a suspected ruptured ectopic pregnancy. When i was in surgery they found it was ruptured ovarian cyst and slit my fallopian tube to check for ectopic pregnancy which they could not find. After my surgery my hcg levels were continuing to rise just not as much as is normal. When i was discharged i had to return to an early pregnancy ward for blood test where sadly hcg levels dropped and i lost the baby. Have since been passed from pillar to post trying to chase follow up appointment...... still waiting for a date!!! So have decided to try and get some answers for myself. I think i have healed well went back to work fulltime after 4 weeks and periods have returned to normal. Was wondering if anyone had similar story and knew how soon it is safe to try and conceive again.
Thank you x
I had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed nearly three weeks ago, and I now realize I was not at ALL prepared by my doctor's office for what I would be going through.  I live in the U.S.; this was a day surgery, and I was discharged being told I could return to work and walk my dog THE NEXT DAY.  I can barely do that now.  If you are reading this pre-surgery, please take it upon yourself to research the procedure, and prepare yourself for a slow recovery over a month, with plenty of help and support.

Here's what I wish someone had told me - prepare yourself and rearrange your life for being in bed, on total bed rest with just a little puttering around the house, for at least two weeks. I thought I'd be back at work on my laptop the next day!  (That's what the only handout I received indicated.)  I am a solo mother to two school-age children, and I had no backup help arranged for them and for simple chores like grocery shopping - big mistake.  Thank god my mother stepped in and filled the gaps! But it would have been far better to go into it expecting this, instead of feeling faint and bursting into tears and having to call her again each day.

You should arrange to take a two weeks off work, and then go back part-time for two weeks, but stay off your feet.  Rally your family and friends NOW to create a support network, and help you financially through this period, if you need it.  I am now 3 weeks out from laproscopic removal of both ovaries. My doc did not mention a word about recovery,  I downplayed it in my mind as "minor" surgery, and then had to keep cancelling commitments, day by day, and getting frustrated.  I would try to just do e-mail at the computer for an hour or two, and my body would start shaking from exhaustion. I felt like a wimp, until I read this forum.  Why don't doctors prepare us?  (And I have an all-women gyn practice!)

I went back for my two-week check-up certain there was something terribly wrong with me, because I was still in pain.  They checked and found nothing.  I think the pain just lasts longer than they admit!  Also, gas causes a lot of the pain, take Gas-X daily.  (Unclear why this is, but they inflate you with co2 during the surgery, which is part of the problem - you will feel very bloated, like you're  months pregnant, for a good while.)  I also wish someone had told me to take a gentle laxative every day post surgery.  It took me five days to have a bowel movement, and that was not fun when it finally happened.  

It would have been better, psychologically, to just clear the slate for a month from the start. You can always add things back!  Don't expect to accomplish anything at all for at least two weeks. Get a lot of great books, magazines, movies and TV miniseries around you, and just relax and enjoy them ...
i am 34 and i am going to have an opp to remove my cysts which is 5 cm they are not sure if my ovary, will go or not till they go in and have a look, i have got it next month i was hopeing to go back to work after.
i was going to give myself 4 days off, i have been bleeding for the past 4 weeks and getting hot flushes has anyone else had thesex
Hi Zoe8

Before I had spotting (brown stuff) for 4 weeks before I found out I had my cyst.  My doctor put me on birth control pill and that temporarily cured the problem.  But no hot flashes.  Also 4 days are definitely not going to be enough time to recover.  You need at least 4 weeks.  

I just read your comment and honestly i can relate as this is how i feel. Here is my story

I went to the gyna and he performed a minor surgery (laparoscope) of which went wrong as during the process he cut one of my bowels by mistake. After that i cannot remember exactly what happened as i complicated as that went septic and affected my lungs. i landed in ICU for 6 weeks and on a ventilation machine as i couldn't breathe. Thank God im much better now as it has been 5 months since my surgery. What i have a problem with currently is that my stomach normally bulges and its not too sore, just a bit uncomfortable as i sometimes look pregnant. I try all sorts of things, drinking hot water and taking Fybogel. is there anything you can recommend that helped you? my direct email is ***@****

Hi!
I’m going in on June 1 for the laparoscopic removal of my left ovary, left fallopian tube, right fallopian tube and a mass near my left ovary.
I have had two laparoscopic surgeries in the past for the removal of endometriosis, and found the recovery to be very easy.  I also had a c-section and didn’t take the pain killers after two days post-op (I think that I might have a high threshold for pain).
I am hoping to be up and about by June 9 for my daughter’s end of school activities.
But after reading all of the comments above, I am very concerned.  Am I setting myself up for failure in thinking that my recovery is going to be similar to my other surgeries?  
If you always recovered faster than others in the past and you don't mind the pain then you should be ok.  Everyone's body is different.  But I would still suggest to take it easy by June 9.  Cuz if you don't rest up in the beginning it would usually create problems to your body in the future.  And you might not notice it at the moment.  Bottomline is your recovery is more important than playing with your daughter for now.  She would only benefit if you are healthy in long-term.  Hope this help.
I am a 25 year old. I had endometriosis and scar tissue removed 4 weeks ago. My ovaries were stuck to my stomach, intestines were all stuck together and many other bits and pieces were too due to the endo and scar tissue. I was told i would need two weeks off till i could go back to work fulltime (I am a teacher) then i developed a heimatoma which delayed my return back to work by two weeks. I am now due to go back to work in 4 days and today yet again this has been delayed by two weeks due to my heimatoma now filling up with fluid. That makes a total of 6 weeks of recovery time.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this much time of work?  What was going to be a simple laparoscopy has turned in to a monster of frustration.
I had Laparotomy to remove a 10cm dermoid ovarian cyst last year.  It took me 4 months before I went back to work.  Good thing my work had a pretty decent sick day/disability plan.  My wound was just not healing.  Original my doctor only gave me 8 weeks off.  From this forum, I'm thinking all the doctors out there are all too optimistic.  The best advise I have for everyone that are taking a longer healing time are:  take it easy, think of it as time off.  Life usually hits us with the most unexpected problems, try to make the best of it.  Cuz by being frustrated will only hurt yourself.  Best luck to you Roxy293!

BTW....CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY PRODUCTS TO MINIMIZE EXTERNAL SCARS?  <---- Products that actually works pls.  Thx.
Am having my left ovary removed next month.  how long is the surgical process and how long can I expect to be in the hospital?
I had a 4cm dermoid cyst removed by laparotomy 6days ago, went in on the tuesday and had surgery on the wednesday, came home on the friday even after the doctors said it should be longer but I felt like I could be doing the same @ home as what was happening @ the hospital. I have been in really bad pain  and I am on 2 lots of tablets daily, finally was able to move my bowels yesterday and today as well and I feel totally great, have slight pain after I have been walking even though I only walk for 10mins a day, the pain gets worse as the day goes on and it feels very tender above the scar and I feel very bloated as the day goes on as well. My partner feels like Im pushing myself to early but I feel like I need to move about. Do I need more time to get over this or is this the start of me on the road to recovery?
i am scheduled to have both ovaries removed on august 5, 2010..the dr told me 2 weeks recovery after reading these comments im scared to death....i knew it was major surgery, but did not know how major....has anyone had quick recovery ...glad i read this im gonna ask my dr lots of questions prior to the surgery
I am 29 and had the copper coil in and this caused a bacterial infection, that lead to a absyess around my left fallapion tube. i was admitted to hospital with severe pain down my left adominal (abdominal) side thought i needed my appendics out. they thought they could treat it with antibotics. but they had to perform a laportamy surgery. incision across my bikini line. After three kids natural birth was disappointed with scar. After surgery i had morphine drip took it all, Wished i had not touched it. I was very sick once they took it away and i think it was my body rejecting it out my body and after surgery being sick is not good as you feel as if your insides are going to burst.I have never before experienced pain and just my whole body being totally drained. Continued being sick for another two full days and with being in the hospital and not seeing my kids i was very emotional, dont know if it was just hormones.
When i got home it was painful going up flights of stairs to my flat. I felt all food tasted really lousey and i felt my digestive system was burned. The gas in your stomach is horrendous the hospital told me to get peppermint tablets to help. After 1 week my appetite came back i lost about a stone in weight with being in hosptial and not tasting food, but the swelling in my stomach is horrendous.
I am now four weeks after my surgery i am back light cleaning and cooking dinner for three kids just get on with it you have too i am still resting when i can. I have another fortnight before i need to return to work, however the swelling round my stomach is still bad dont know when that is going to go back down and the numbness just above my scar.
Everybody is different, just have plenty people who care about you round to help cause you do need it.
Hope everybody has a speedy recoveryx
Hi everyone i had my right overy removed 12 days ago it had a large cyst attached and was stuck onto my pelvic wall . Was told i was having a lapscope but woke up to find it didnt work and had been cut through my hystorectomy scar from 2 years earlier . I have been home for a week now and alough am walking about better am still in quite a lot of pain my stomach is so swollen but more on the right side were the overy was removed from , i too have the bee sting feeling when moving . My stiches in my pubic area have gone but the navel ones still there is this normal as feels really tight thanks for all your stories has really helped me during this not very pleasent time of my life . I am also hoping 6 weeks post op is enough for me to be feeling back to normal as i have a holiday adroad booked. good luck and speedy recovery to all x
OK - Just had surgery 48 hrs ago for large complex mass and ovary removal.  Surgeon entered through c-section cut.

Things are GREAT compared to previous two surgeries, wherein I didn't have bowel movements for over 5 days, was in excruciating pain and was on withdrawals from meds resulting in skin issues for weeks.

Here's what I noticed made the difference:

*Take only as much morphine and meds as needed for your pain while in the hospital especially at night- try to deal with a little pain- don't try to get to 0 because you may never get there and the more meds in your body, the more time your body will take to shed them in terms of swelling and bloating. When home, I decided to take medicine at night only if I woke from pain; otherwise, I skipped until the morning.

*Eat very light for the week preceding surgery and stay on liquids for at least two days after surgery - this way your body can work on healing you instead of digesting heavy food.

I was discharged within 24hrs for my recent surgery and was walking around today (less than 48hrs later)  with MINIMAL pain.  

I truely feel the reason why things went well this time were due to the above changes.  Just my personal opinion - might not be right, might not be right for you.

I'm 28 years old, had a 4cm calcified cyst on my right ovary. I am pretty tough and actually play women's ice hockey.  I've broken bones, fractured vertibre, fractured my sternum and had a lot of trauma before.  I broke my sternum and went back to work 2 days later.  However, the pain associated with the cyst has been the worst pain I've ever had.  I had to have the tube, ovary, and cyst removed laproscopically.  I took a whole week off work. The first 2 or 3 days I didn't do much.  This is the 2nd week and I'm back at work. I work at a desk.  I can do light housechores.  My incisions have healed.  I worked hard to keep them clean and used neosporin and showered daily.  I have been advised not to work out or do steps and I have followed the warnings.  I have a sharp burning pain where the ovary used to be that comes and goes.  I speculate this is a nerve growing back that has been cauterized but the pain is pretty severe.  Also, two days after my surgery I started my period.  That freaked me out, bigtime.  If this happens to you don't worry.  My doc said it was my hormones stabilizing.  For a period of 4 days I felt like I was back in puberty and was crying at stupid sh*t and ate lots of chocolate.  Good luck to you all!
Okay I am day 2 after having my left ovary and tube removed laparoscopically. The doctor used the "DaVinci" robot. This is my 3rd laparoscopic surgery but my 1st with the davinci robot. I am sorry to hear about the horrible recovery some of you ladies have had or are having, best wishes at speedy recovery. I have been up and around feeling normal by day 3 of each of my surgeries and this one seems to be the same. The best advice I’d give is rest, don’t overdo it and drink lots of water and chicken bullion. I always stick to a liquid diet for 2 to 3 days after my surgeries. Jello, chicken bouillon, crackers, popsicles and Sprite Zero halved with regular Sprite. This go-round I had nausea in recovery and recovery day 1 after drinking anything but my Sprite concoction. Recovery day 2 and the nausea is gone. I did manage to walk 1 mile today, very slowly but I simply concentrated on standing up straight and breathing. I’ve noticed that my shoulders are hurting less this afternoon. I think the walking does help the gas get out of your body. I did start bleeding today and got a bit worried but once I counted the days this would be 21 days since my last one started so it is only a few days early. I will call my obgyn tomorrow and make sure its normal. Best Wishes to you all, Beth.
Had LSH December 2008, recovery went well, I was back to normal in twenty-one days.  However, had my ovary and cervix removed on 8/27/2010; recovery is hell.  While the pain is gone, I am still swollen and my hormones are all over the place.  The difference between the first surgery and this one, is that I didn't take any pain killers in 2008; this time around, I took the meds at the suggestion of friends and I think it was my biggest mistake.  I don't move as well as I did prior too, and my behavior is erratic to say the least.
Wow what brave woman we are.
34 and just had a laparotomy today two weeks ago.  Was on holiday and rushed to hospital in Athens for an acute abdominal caused by a raptured corpus luteum cyst.  
I got to keep all my bits!  Also they removed the endometriosis, chocolate cyst of 6cm and mayoma of 8cm.
There was no morphine but they did give me pain killer injections total of 3 - over my 4 day stay  and had two blood transfusions.  
I got told I can take Ibuprofen as a painkiller (over the counter drug).  Two days ago I have stopped taking painkillers.  I am very light headed still and my energy levels are at a minimum, but slowly I am getting more mobile.  I make sure I walk everyday - not too much and also make sure I rest enough.  My partner is great!
I have complete numbness around my cut and a tiny over hang (this is all numb).  They say that the feeling might come back over a period of time - did anybody else experience this?  
The gastro complaints was worst than the surgery and the headaches I had after - I stop taking the iron tablets since it made me constipated and I really don't need more problems in that area.  
For the rest I agree on prune juice and nettle tea - it is helping allot!
I am back home since last Friday and that made me feel so much better! At least I had amazing travel insurance that covered everything and could bring me back home.
Good luck to all of you out there and yes this is a very helpful trail - one doesn't feel alone!  Not such a good read I agree for pre op!
Wow what brave woman we are.
Just thought I would write in having returned from my laparotomy a couple of days ago - I read this forum before I went in and it totally freaked me out!

On the day of the op to remove the ovarian cyst and the endometrioma, i was also told that I would have to have bladder reconstruction surgery as well (the endometriosis have worked its way into my bladder, blocked my left ureter and has caused one of my kidneys to fail) which was completely unexpected. I was in theatre for a total of 3.5 hours and had a few complications but when I woke up, my surgeons had done a good job - my wound was sewn up from the inside which means I cant see any of the stitches, bloating was at a minimum and generally, all is good.  The only bad part was the horrible nausea which followed which baffled everyone since I stopped taking morphine the day after the op and NONE of the anti-sickness medication worked.  After 4 days of not being able to move or talk without retching my gynaecologist decided to take me off antibiotics, which luckily stopped the sickness! The nausea was definately worse than any pain or discomfort after the op! I was in hospital a total of 9 days.

Anyway, the point is, everyone has a different reaction to the surgery and its impossible to say what may affect you.  I had no constipation (actually I had diarrhea!) so my prune juice which I bought especially for the op after reading this, has yet to be drunk! Im still a bit bloated but not unusually and the wound is clean and healing. Im back at the hospital on thursday for a cystogram to check my bladder is healing so fingers crossed.

Good luck for anyone going through the laparotomy! Just stay positive and have faith in your surgeons!
I am 31 years old and i suffer from PCOS, Polips I had my surgery done yesterday at the St.Joseph Hospital in Toronto..
The day of the surgery I went to the St. Joseph Hospital the nurse gave me a pill to relax before the surgery then I got the chance to meet all the doctors and nurses.. One of the nurses took me to the operating room then they pull my gown off attached the heart monitor, injected ivi, put a warm blanket and gave me an oxygen mask. Next thing I knew I walk up in the recovery room.. I could bearly talk as my throat was soar i also wanted to pee but I couldn't then they game me pain medication.. after about an hour they took me in to the other room and then my husband was allowed to come and join me.
About 20 min later a nurse came to check me and then also the doctor came to tell us what they have found.. I told my husband to write everything down... The doctor gave me two pain killers, gravol and stool softner.. I did not need to take anything all I took was on the second day tylenol for pain as I was suffering from gas pain in my upper diaphram and shoulders and neck..
Yesterday all I ate was jello and cookies... today I had tacos and rice pudding and so far so good..
I have been looking for some answers in regards to laproscopic surgery and thankfully I found this site. I am a 52 year old woman and had been suffering from back pain since October. I have perineural cysts on my spine and thought this was the problem. In December I began to have a burning pain in my pelvic area front and back with swelling/bloating in my abdomin (abdomen). My feet were also numb which I'm guessing is related to the perineural cyst. An ultrasound revealed cysts on my left ovary and I had laproscopic surgery done 12 days ago to remove them. After surgery I found out my left ovary was also removed. I am getting back on my feet and recovering from the surgery but I still have the bloating in my abdomin (abdomen) and yes it's exactly how most of you have described...I look pregnant. And the burning pain in my pelvic area and back is still there along with the numb feet. I have been so worried about this because it feels as if nothing has been resolved. I don't know if this is normal or not. I have been feeling so depressed and anxious about this. I am grateful to have found this site and to have been able to read about so many different experiences but so far I haven't read anything specifically about continuing pain in the pelvic area. I'm not sure if I should be concerned. I will see my Dr. and ask next week but when I asked him before he told me that abdominal swelling/bloating had nothing to do with cysts and that it would be something to do with IBS. I haven't had any problems with my bowels even after surgery so I'm not sure what to think. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Thank goodness for this list!  And good luck for anyone dealing with this!
Wish I had read this before my laparoscopy two weeks ago...
I am finally able to be back at work for about four hours...then I get really tired. Thought I would be back after 4-5 days...what a joke!
Had an cyst and ovary+tube removed and still have endometriosis lesions my doctor couldn't remove on my intestines so I'm not sure if crampy feelings are bowel contractions or endometriosis or inside healing or what!
Horrible three day long headache and fatigue are finally gone...now I'm slightly depressed from all of this. It's taken the wind out of my sail..
Now on continuous BC pills to prevent any menstrual cycle....other option was Lupron injections which scared the heck out of me..
I will never take advantage of my health and strength again...I am listening to my body and trying not to rush the healing process. Patience..
I had my left tube and ovary removed because I had a twin ectotpic pregnancy.  I am 4 weeks post op, and I wish I had read all of this pre op.  (Was rushed to hospital in ambulance)  Just before surgery, doc told me full recovery could be expected in 2 weeks.  NOT!  I was in surgery for 3 hours.  After the anesthetic wore off, there wasn't alot of pain.  When I had to get up and out of bed, the pain tore through me like a fire.  I was discharged the next day. 6 days post op the doc took the staples out my belly. Incision is healing nicely.  As soon as I was home, I phoned my aunt, who had this operation done before.  She gave me this advice for care after surgery:
First week: stay on your back on the couch.  do not lay on your side or stomach, stay on your back.  Eat lightly.  Don't be a hero; if it hurts take a pill. Do not get up except for bathroom breaks, showers and eating. Avoid using your tummy muscles; use your arms and legs instead. It's normal if it hurts to pee.  Drink warm prune juice to help with regular BMs. For gas: Lay flat on your back.  Bring your knees up and your feet as close to your bum as possible; do it 3 times.  Then lay flat and straight, and relax your anus.  Don't try to push it out, it comes out on its own.(NEVER believed this, but it worked!!)
Second week:  Get up during the day, walk a bit. very light exercise will help your body(walking or shuffling around the house)  Yuo're starting to feel better, so don't screw it up by overdoing it.  Lay around and watch the world go by. No chores, laundry or dishes.
Third week: Now you are really feeling better, start with really light housekeeping. ie: wash dishes once, fold one load of laundry, a few small things like that every day.  DO NOT OVERDO IT. You will pay for it dearly the next day.  Pace yourself, and make sure you get alot of rest still.
Fourth week: Start slowly doubling what you did last week, but still taking time to rest.  I am in my fourth week, and am still having a 2 hour nap every afternoon.  Still no lifting, but you can start bending, but do it slowly.
I hope this helps someone out there, because my doc told me nothing. I have a muffin top now.  Does that go away?
I have just had my 5th laporoscopy for endometriosis 4 weeks ago and I am still exhausted and have pain on my right side. My previous 4 surgeries weren't as hard to recover from- i was back at work within 2 weeks.I have learnt however, that every surgery has been different and this one is going to take much longer to recover from. I had expected to have my bowel 'unstuck' from my uterus but when the surgeon( an endo specialist) went in he found ovaries and ureters and tubes were also attached. When he came to explain what he found, he said to remember that the small incisions we can see are only entry points - what you can't see is the 'large saucer size wound' that is on the inside. He said that laporoscopy isn't a simple procedure when you get inside - the same amount of internal work is carried out regardless of whether it is open surgery or not!
So give yourselves a break and don't listen to unqualified secretaries or other people who say recovery should be days. Maybe if you're are young, very fit and all they did was have a look around!
I had laproscopy and salpino-fallopian tube removed and while im no stranger to pain n surgery (two csections incl) this is kicking my butt n the doc wont give me any more pain meds. Its only been 8 days! the ibprofun doesnt even take the edge off :(
I just absolutely don't get it! Why do all of these doctors seem to "assume" that their patients are going to get addicted to pain killers post surgery.  I think each and every one of them should have a laparoscopy, then decide how much pain medicine their patient will need.  I try to think of the reasons why doctor's don't want to manage their patient's pain efficiently, and I come up with:
1. Fear of addiction?
2. Don't want patient to over medicate, feel a false sense of well being, and then hurt themselves  -  or-
3. They think we are all out to "get high".
The fact is, there is absolutely no sense in having patients suffer.  There are so many various and effective pain medications available, why not prescribe them.  I think that gynecologist who perform laparotomys should have to have 30 hours of pain management training each year, so that they can effectively and safetly manage their patient's pain pre and post surgery.

I am a little upset about this, here is my story..
One day early in July, 2011, I began feeling really heavy in my abdomen. After several days of taking laxatives, I reached down and felt of my belly.  I found a large lump beginning at my belly button, then across and down about 4 to 6 inches each way.  I freaked out and called my internist.  He ordered a CAT scan. The radiologist's report said, large mass, 12cmx14cmx10cm, ovarian in nature, cystadenoma/carcinoma.  My internist told me to go to MD Anderson, which is a well known cancer hospital in Houston.  I was stunned. I decided to go to my gynecologist instead.  She ordered a ultrasound, which said it was a hydrosalpinx. My gynecologist said that it needed to come out, but the first available surgery could not be scheduled until 7 weeks later because of the hospital.  She LIED!  I found out a couple of days later that she was going on vacation for 10 days, and after that, she was double and triple booked.  She only prescribed me 20-Tylenol 3 for the pain. CRAZY, this didn't even touch the pain.  I called back and her substitute physician ordered me 20-NORCO.  What a difference one physician can make! All of this took about 16 days, and by then, I was experiencing more pain. each day.  The huge tumor was pushing on all of my internal organs, causing me pain.  I developed really bad pain on my legs and lower back.  Later I found out from a doppler of my groin and leg, that it was cutting off my circulation to my leg, and pushing on a nerve.  I went to another gyn, and he got me scheduled for surgery in one week, and had an Oncologist on call. The problem is that his nurse seemed to be the one responsible for chosing the pain medication.  I told her I was in alot of pain, especially at night, and that I was out of pain medication.  She wanted to prescribe me prescription strength Ibruprofen.  WTH!  I had already been taking 4 to 5 Advil at a time, which only put a small dent in it.  I told her that I needed Vicodin.  She had the doctor prescribe 20 - 500mg Vicodin.  The thing is, I had to take one every 6 hours to keep from writhing in pain.  I just don't think they get it!  Do we have to call sobbing, or go the the emergency room.  They make you feel guilty for asking for pain medication.  Why can't they just believe you.  I can understand if you were a frequent flyer, but not patients that have real and documented ailments, like a 6 pound TUMOR, for example.  Then after I had the surgery, I was told that my tumor was the size of a small watermelon and contained mucinous. Mucinous has the consistency of syrup, I was told.  It was benign, thanks to God listening to all of the souls praying for me.  I had already had 3 C-Sections, a exploratory laparoscopy for fibroids, and a partial hysterectomy.  I was told that I had massive scar tissue which had attached itself to everything inside my abdomen.  My ovaries and fallopian tubes were removed, along with the tumor and scar tissue.  I woke up in recovery, very sore.  I was hooked up to a push button for Delatin.  I pushed it every 15 minutes for the first 36 hours, then less and less.  They removed the pump only 6 hours prior to discharging me from the hospital.  Sent me home with a prescription of 30 Vicodin-500 mg.  and 1000 mg. Ibruprofen.  I had to take a Vicodin every 4 hours, so they were gone in 5 days.  I called for a refill and the nurse asked me a bunch of questions, "wasn't I taking my Ibruprofen"?  Of course I was, I was taking both, but it had only been one week, guess what, I was still in alot of pain.  I told her that I needed one more refill.  She said, "OK, I guess that will be alright".  I reminded her that I had a laparotomy, not a laparoscopy. I am three weeks out, and i am still having pain, especially at night, and when I am trying to sleep.  The pain is much better.  I can move around pretty well now, and walk the block, do light housekeeping.  BUT don't lift anything, you will pay for it for days later.  The pain not more like the muscle pains you get with a bad case of the flu.  I am improving every day, except when I do too much, then that sets me back a day or two, so don't sweep, vacume, lift anything over 5 pounds, climb steps, or squat.  you may think that you feel well enough, but your innards are not healed yet.  Thanks for letting me vent!
Since the beginning, my periods were never 'regular'. In my early 20's I started to feel a numbness on my left side. Every gynecologist or doctor I had seen told me I was normal. Three years ago, with my sister's advice, I went to an internal specialist. She asked me a few questions, and not even 5 minutes into the appointment told me I was going to have an ultrasound. What was seen on the ultrasound was a large mass on my left side. She referred me to a gynecologist/surgeon. About a month later I went to the gynecologist/surgeon for another external ultrasound and an internal ultrasound, which confirmed the first finding. The gynecologist/surgeon suggested I have surgery soon. He said they could do it laparoscopy and because of my age (my early 30's by this time) and health I would be back to work within a few days. I was told it would be a day surgery so I would be able to go home soon after the surgery.

A few months later I had my surgery. Before going into the surgery the doctor said he may have to be a little more invasive than he had originally thought due to the size of the growth. When I woke up from surgery I had 3 laparoscopy holes and a large incision just below my bikini line. He said the growth was very large and he had to make a larger incision to remove it. He also said that the growth was engulfing my right ovary. He had to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube.

After I was coherent I was sent to a room for recovery. Because I was originally scheduled for only a laparoscopy I was being released as soon as I could walk, drink something and eat something. I assumed this was normal after a surgery. I had heard of women who had C-sections having to walk soon after surgery. I asked the nurse if I could take a shower with such a large incision and was told to try and not get it wet. I was sent home about two hours after my surgery.

Because of my husband's work, I only had someone in the house with me for one night, not even 15 hours. I spent the next week alone on the couch. I have a high tolerance of pain and told the doctor I did not need pain medication. I was still given some and took only one pill twice as a precaution the day following my surgery. I was in more of a discomfort than real pain. People do not realize how much they use their stomach muscles to walk, sit, sneeze, drive a car, bend over, etc.I made it a point to get up and walk or just stand for 15 minutes every hour. As much as it was discomforting, it helped me recover. A week after my surgery I went to have the staples removed. The nurse who removed them was shocked that I was not admitted to the hospital. She said I should have been admitted to the hospital with that kind of incision and the staples should have been removed about 3 days after surgery. An oopsie on the day surgery team and I guess my ignorance.

I told my work I could not come back until I was able to drive myself. I was getting emails and calls 3 days after my surgery asking when I was returning. 10 days after my surgery I returned to work, mostly because of the badgering. I have to do a lot of lifting at work. I was also mocked because I had a doctor note saying I could not lift more than 15 pounds, which I was lifting 25+. For the first time after surgery I was in pain and was moving very slow.

Needless to say, a little over two years later now, my laparoscopy scars are practically unnoticeable. The larger incision is also not very noticeable, except the little indentation. I do get pain in the larger incision area if I turn quickly. I do have lower back muscle pain (never had it before the surgery), not sure if it is because of the muscle healing differently or me not following the lifting rules. I also still have a little numbness on my left side.

My advice to anyone who is going to have a surgery like this:

-Make sure you do not need to stay in the hospital if the surgery goes from laparoscopy to laparotomy or even both.

-Who cares what your work says, stay home for at least 2 weeks, it will be worth it in the long run.

-Do not lift more than the doctor says, even if they say you can lift what is comfortable. I say no more than 10-15 pounds max for the first week or two.

-Eat/drink lots of soup even if you are not hungry. I made sure I was eating something every 4 hours, while I was awake, even if I was not hungry. Also drink plenty of fluids, especially if you are on meds, they dehydrate you. Some meds will make you constipated if you do not drink plenty of fluids. You do not need to be constipated with sore stomach muscles.

-Do not put any kind of medication (neosporin) on the incisions. That stuff is for cuts you obtained yourself. All the incision needs it to remain clean. A few days after the surgery you can gently wash the area. I also let the incision get fresh air whenever possible.

-Do not remove the steri tape, it will fall off on its own. I put a band aid on the holes while I slept until they were all the way healed.

-The larger incision bled from the right side for about a week. It was not constant, but enough for me to have to change the bandage twice a day.

This has been a very useful read for me to read both before and after my laparotomy. Thank you to all posters.

I am day 4 from laparotomy to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube. I am very sore and have pains down my back and hips but am taking co-codamol and ibuprofen regularly. I was able to walk slowly and take myself to the bathroom on the 2nd day and on the 3rd day I was able to shower without aid. I would have been ready to be discharged on day 2 but was still taking Oramorph so it was day 3 before I "escaped".

1) If you know you are going to have this surgery do ensure you work your abdo muscles as much as possible for many weeks prior to surgery. I swear its due to having good stomach muscles that I'm not doing a dying fly when getting off a chair or bed.

2) You will need baggy knickers and baggy sweatpants. You will feel like you are 9 months pregnant.

3) Take your pain meds even if you don't think you need them. The bloating, the wound etc is sore!

4) Take it easy - you'll feel very tired.

5) Laughing, coughing, sneezing WILL be painful. I really enjoy a good belly laugh but it is impossible to do so.

6) My hips are killing so I guess that will go away eventually.
It sounds as though advice on how to cope with a lap depends on what was found and what was done.

For me, I offer the following advice:
* bring the following with you on the day of the surgery:
     three heating pads (ask the nurse to wrap each shoulder and diaphragm:
     the pain cannot be managed with narcotics; only heating pads work)
* when you meet with the anesthesiologist:
     ask, when they reverse the anesthesia, to also include anti-nausea
     medicine in case you go home that day

If you stay in the hospital, ask the nurse to continue to wrap your shoulder and diaphragm with heating pads and ask for anti-nausea medicine as needed (nausea should go away within a couple of days).

Most importantly, hang in there. The worst will be over and you will recover.

I had my surgery on August 12.  I had a 17.5 cm cyst removed along with my left ovary and fallopian tube.  It took me a while to recover and was pretty much homebound for the first 3 weeks post surgery.  I returned to work(I am a teacher) in time to begin the school year.  I was still moving quite slowly, but felt way less pain than before.  I still have an indent above the incision and get extremely bloated by the end of the day(I feel like I look pregnant).  I am still so uncomfortable wearing pants and have been buying lots of dresses to go to work.  A lot of my pants do not fit properly even though I lost 10 pounds post surgery. I am hoping to return to the gym soon but am a little nervous about it.  

I had a few questioons for people who have had similar experiences...
Does the bloating go away?
Will I always have this indent in my abdominal area or does it eventually go away?
Is it normal to still feel discomfort at the end of the day after being on my feet for the majority of the day?
How long will it be until I feel completely normal?
Hi, just like to say thank you all for sharing your storys. Mine goes like this; two weeks ago i had a 7cm cyst removed from my left ovary but never was told when will i feel better or how would i know if the surgery was a success.  if its been two weeks n for a moment i feel ok n the next minute its like they are still scraping my ovary. Is that normal or should i worry that something might not b right.??? My appt. Its a week from now so any advice will help!!
Thanks for all your posts. Its has helped me realize that healing depends on the individuals' body. Had ectopic pregnancy and my right fallopian tube was taken out(1/nov/11), i wasn't prepared for the pain,its about 4weeks now and i havent fully recovered,taking things easy cos once i push my body too hard,the pain becomes unbearable. only wish people around me'd understand that the healing process takes time. Thank u all.  
I'm on my third day from recovering from my right ovary and left cyst removed from my left ovary.  The nurse who was discharging me said I would have some discharge from my vagina.  Its my third day and I am having blood dicharge as if I were on my period.  The blood is not heavy and not light but its very visable when I go to the restroom to wipe myself and on my pad.  Is this common?  My doctor's office is on vacation and the oncall dr has not responded back to my messages.  Should I go to the ER or just wait it out.  
Debbie I had a tubal and partial uterus removal done back on dec 20 2011 due to a type of ectopic pregnancy. They started doing a laparascopy but I hemorrhaged and lost 2 pints of blood so they had to do a laparatomy. My doctor told me I shouldn't bleed at all but a day after they release me I ended back at the ER for heavy bleeding.  If you are bleeding heavy you should see immediate care. In my case when the pregnancy was removed my hormone levels dropped down so my body immediately decided to remove the walls of the uterus like in a normal period. My OB was called to the ER and she did a full check up to make sure that everything was ok with the surgery she did on me.  I hope you have a quick recovery.
I just have my left ovary and tube Plus scare tissue and endometriosis removed on my left side. It has been two days now and I have to tell you I'm not back to my 100% but I feel good so if you are not feeling at least 90% you should be calling your doctor. I know that they say you should wait at least two to three weeks before having sex but I feel fine and it did not bother me any or I should say that the pain before was more then now! Wish I would have done this before now. Best of luck to you all
i just had an ovary removed i also have endometriosis and alot of scar tissue from two c-sections. i was told to take 2 weeks off work and i definetly need it. i also have 2 children and a husband who are taking good care of me but my boss wants me back a wk. early b/c i am a manager of a restaurant. i had someone who was going to help but she hurt her knee and cant and the owner wont come in and help. i guess he thinks b/c i am a manager i should heal faster than everyone else. i am very aggravated and stressed not only from this but my husbands identity was stolen and we got audited by the irs all of this in less than a week.
Did your doctor gave you medical paper work excusing you from work? It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and I have a doctor appt. tomorrow for an evaluation. My ob-gyn then will decide if I'm able to go back to work or if I need to stay home longer. It is very important that you follow your doctor's orders because if something happens to you during a time that a doctor told you to stay home for recovery and you were at work instead you are going to lose any type of insurance that you have (work-medical...) The law is not going to back you up so tell your boss that he/she needs to find other venues and your health comes first. He/she cannot legally fire you while you are in a medical leave. Good luck and please take care.
I had a laparotomy for a softball sized cyst on my left ovary in october. it is now january and im feeling a tugging feeling on my right ovary. it has lasted all day today but i am not sure if its ovulation or something i should be concerned about. im basically 10 weeks post op and have been told that tugging is normal but i didnt get operated on my right ovary so i am confused as to why im feeling this weird pain on that ovary and not the operated one.
Hi all.
I am new here. I an 33 years old and in the past 6 years I have had laproscopic surgery for cyst removals from ovaries. I have also had a few D and C's. I have bad endometriosis , too. Since December 2011 I have had a serious pain in left side (around the area of ovary). I finally got an appointment for an ultrasound last week and they found a 'small grapefruit' sized cyst AROUND my right ovary! Yes, all the pain was on left side and cyst is on right! (strange, I thought) Anyway, I am having a surgery next week to remove cyst AND right ovary as well as another D andC! I am a little nervous about the ovary removal. I know you can function perfectly fine with one....still, it scares me a bit. I already have 2 children and have no plans for another. Does anyone have feedback on recovery time? Anything else I can expect? Thanks for listening.
I am so grateful to find this site.  I am a teacher and this is my second week out.  I thought I would be back in 5 days.  NO WAY!  I may take off more time after reading here. As for me, I had my left ovary removed (carcinoid tumor ... still need to do tests on that and I am a bit scared my doctor said it is rare) and a fibroid on my fallopian tube, which they removed.  I have had absolutely NO issues with constipation, which I was extremely worried about.  I took Myralax every night in a large glass of hot tea.  My gastroenterologist had me on it before the surgery and told me that although it is a laxative, it didn't have the kind of ingredients that you have to worry about.  I've skipped a dose here and there with no problems and have gone to the bathroom EVERYDAY : )   This is a big deal issue as you know.  This is my question. Does anyone have a really itchy stomach?  It's my whole stomach not just the incisions.  It is driving me crazy!  I see the doctor in two days ... I am trying to hold on until then.  Good luck to everyone.
I was supposed to have laprascopy, removal of a demroid cyst on the 3rd, but woke  up and had a bikini line incision after they decided they would have to open me up unfortunately. I am recovering fairly well, not to much pain after I got out of the hospital and showered, and kept my incision site dry (put a towel on it and leave it there ALL day), i'm doing really great healing wise...and even the incision in my belly button is okay (kind of gross looking though). I can walk, have been letting my gas out FINALLY and don't take pain medicine so much... but my problem is my SHOULDER.

This is the worst pain i am experiencing, when i go to lay down on my side (which i can finally tolerate) my shoulder  begins throbbing, and aching like someone is  pulling every muscle in my back and tightening it I told the doctors while I was in the hospital but they said it was normal due to the gas they had used before deciding they would have to cut me open - I'm using a heating pad to soothe it, but it's just really annoying that I can not lay any other way SOLELY because of my shoulder pain.

I'm so tender on my right shoulder and back area. I was wondering if I'm the only person experiencing this pain. It's unbearable, it actually almost brings me to tears everytime, and the pain meds do not work in this are at all. I just want to know when it will stop...or how I can stop it from happening, or atleast that someone else is having this happen too :(
Thanks guys, and hope everyone heals up well & doesn't have to deal with this again.
Hello all i had a laparodomy done on jan. 16,2012. I must say i honestly thought it was going to be a laproscopy and i woke up cut up. I ihad a 4 1/2 in cyst on my left ovary. It was so painful i was begging for a window to jump out of lol. I cried for the first  two weeks from pain. I just want to say it gets better. It has been 28 days since the surgery and i am much better than i was. Take it easy as much as you can. Dont lift push pull or anything like that. I had to squat instead of bend. I had alot of help. I stayed in the hospital for four days due to complications. I was an easy bleeder due to an artery being cut so they had to stop my surgery and get a specialist. I am telling you it honestly gets better but it takes time. I thought i would never get to this point. I can finally sleep on my side and on my stomach but not alot. I am very soar and still take my pain meds but it is nothing like the first week. Dont force your body to get better it will happen with time. I still hurt but i will take today over 1/16. So dont get discouraged if the benefits outweigh the risks. Look for a good surgeon and pray for god to touch his/ her hands before the procedure and know that the mind is very powerful. Time heals all wounds
Hi everyone I just wanted to share my experience. I will start from the beginning. When I was in 8th grade I had woken up from a deep sleep to excruciating pain. My mom just thought I was starting my period. Well I wasn't so she took me to the hospital and they didn't know what was wrong with me. I could barely stand up straight to walk. Finally was able to see an OBGYN and have an ultrasound done and found out it was a cyst the size of a pea. She prescribed me some birth control and it went away.

Not until now have I started having pains again. I am now 24 years old and started having pain during intercourse only didn't really think anything of it but then it just kept getting worse and worse and I couldn't enjoy sex anymore. Also never had to bad of cramps during my periods so I didn't think anything of it and I have always had a regular period never have I missed one. Finally I went to the my OBGYN and he ordered an ultrasound and it showed that there was a cyst on my right ovary. But then they also had found another mass that they couldn't identify on my uterus where he described as the culda-a-sac in the space between the colon and the uterus. He then told me I had to get an MRI so went and had the MRI done and they still couldn't tell what it was. That was the beginning of January of this year.

Febuary 8th I went in for my laparoscopy. They did explain to me that it could happen that I might have to have a laparotomy. My surgery was schedule for 7:00 didn't get into the OR until around 9. I woke up around 11:30ish in the recovery room. I also have asthma and it is scary when you are waking up from anesthesia I felt like I literally could not breathe but I had my inhalers with me so I used them and was brought to my room. Everything went as my doctor expected it would. I didn't have to have a laparotomy done thank goodness.

My OBGYN said that the mass was something he has never seen before  and needed to run more test on it and tell me the results when I came in for my two week check up. He described the mass as being crystalized.   They did do a pathology on the mass and it came back benign. The mass I was told was 6cm I do not remember how big the cyst was.

My surgery was same day surgery so I was able to go home after I was able to go pee and then hold fluid down. But everytime I would get up I would get nauseated because of the anesthesia. But finally it calm down enough that I was able to tolerate it. My doctor prescribed two different pain medications Naproxen and Vicodins. But I have a very high pain tolerance I only really used them the first two days.

When I got home I felt fine wasn't really in any pain yet and I was moving around and even went to get some DQ lol. The next day I was in a lot of pain just from some of the gas still being trapped in my body and also the internal bruising and incision areas were tender. The only way I could get out of bed was to literally scoot myself to where my feet were on the floor and I arched myself up. Also I hadn't had a BM since Monday two days prior to my surgery. So all the build up from that was killing me. I was thankful I didn't have to take anything to help it along. I was about to drink some citrate to help and I am glad right before I did I had to run to the bathroom and was able to have a BM. And that's was not fun either.

By the third day I was starting to feel a lot better. I was still tender but not hurting really bad. My shoulders and chest were still a little achy but not as bad as the day before. Also had some little bumps in my muscles but my mom said that was just gas still in my body. And I stopped taking my Naproxen then and went from taking two Vicodins every 6 hours to only two a day and now I stopped taking them all together.

I went back to school on Monday and I felt great also started my internship then and I had no problems with working. I still can't really do any major exercising. Just walking for 30 mins or so. I definitely can't wear any tight pants cause the pressure hurts to much. The only incision I have or had a problem with is the one right under my belly (the one I can't really get a good look at lol) cause of the underwear rubbing against it. I didn't have to get stitches or staples they used the surgical glue and all the incisions look great. I am still a bloated and my belly is still kinda hard. Today is the 9th day after my surgery and I feel great.

I am glad I had my mom to help me through this because she has gone through everything I went through. But she had it worse then me. She had to have 7 laparoscopy's done and even when she was pregnant with my brother she had a cyst on her ovary the size of a grapefruit. But by the age of 33 they did a full hysterectomy on her. She also had a lot of scar tissue due to all the laparoscopy's she had done.

The only think I am truly worried about is if I will be able to have kids or not. I have not had any kids yet and do want kids in the future.

I know this is very very long but I thought it could help others in the future if I put it into details. I will post something after I go to my check up next Friday when I find out what the mass was.

Danielle

Tali, that's normal with a laparoscopy - I had the same problem when I had mine!  If you get up and move around a bit, it'll help the gas pas through your system faster.  And this is kind of gross but...if you have to fart or belch, don't hold back, DO IT!  It allows the gas to exit your system faster.

Also, have you been diagnosed with endometriosis?  Endometriosis on the diaphragm causes pain in the right shoulder area, and the might have not thought to check  your abdominal cavity if they didn't find much in the pelvic cavity.

I feel what you all are going through.  I had a laparoscopy for two cysts (one a large endometrioma that was wrapped around my right ovary) in January 2011 that did absolutely NOTHING for my pain.  I was told I had severe endometriosis that couldn't be dealt with during the surgery and was put on Lupron to control the pain.  A year later I have decided to seek out the help of an endometriosis specialist, and upon getting print-outs of my surgery reports to take to her, I have discovered that I have endometriosis on my diaphragm (which the doctor never told me about) which is hard to remove and can only be removed laparotomally.  My recovery for my laparoscopy was 2 weeks and I still wasn't fully myself when I went back to work so I'm terrified as to how long I'll be out if I have a laparotomy!
I just had my R ovary removed by laparoscopy 2/2/12. My job is physically demanding, so I was off for a week, then light duty the next. My energy and strength seem to be almost back to normal. Out of the 3 incisions I had, 2 are pretty well healed. The 3rd, on my R hip, is not healing as well. Because of positioning, it is constantly irritated by a rubbing shirt or pants. My skin is so sensitive to adhesives that I'm terrified to cover it up with a bandaid, as they literally pull my skin off. I've tried gauze and paper tape, but even that gives me a rash for days. Any suggestions on ways to cover it up and get this stubborn wound to heal?

I am so glad to have found this site.

I had a laproscopy on Jan 20th to remove a 9cm Cyst on right ovary along with endometriosis and a heterescopy to remove uterine polyp.  The pathology report showed that I had a clear cell carcinoma on the Cyst.  

A week later, I had a colonoscopy to rule out that I had a colon cancer because I had heavy and frequent rectal bleeding.  

A week later on Feb 7th, I had a laparotomy to remove uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries, lymph nodes, fat cells (omentectomoy, fix bladder control, and get samples from over 10 parts (including rectum, appendix, etc.) of my abdomen for biopsy.  The recovery from surgery was rough.  I stayed in the hospital for 15 nights due to various complications:  

1. vomiting almost everyday from just drinking a sip of water and abdominal swelling. Doctor said that I had ileus and that my intestines were inflamed.
2. urinary tract infection
3. wound infection which gave me two holes that are > 3cm deep in my abdomen.
4. blood transfusion as my blood level was 7 for almost a week.

It's been 10 days since I came home from the hospital.  My abdomen is less swolen and the wound infection is getting better; my surgeon cut the skin near the hole to widen the hole so that it heals properly and it still hurts.  I also started eating very small portions.  

However, I still have indigestion and eat just enough to take pain meds and antibiotics.  Although I eat so little, I get so much heart burn.  I try to reduce the frequency of taking pain pills a few times only to suffer so much because pain was out of control.  I still get headache and fever everyday ranging from 100 to 101+ and do the normal stuff for fever such as removing clothes to keep my body temperature down.  I am not sure why I continue to get fever.  Doctor does not seem to be concerned about fever.

If anyone had a similar experience, I would appreciate your insight and sharing.

Thank you.
im 16 years old , and found out i have a large mass on my right ovary , it is 10 by 6 by 4 .
i get my surgery on 04 / 12 / 12 .
i was wondering how long the recovery time would be for this , as i have school and work .
im very nervous .

just had laparoscotomy for my left ovary and tube it had several cyst inside all removed and i hope all good but surgery was not so good allergery to all opiods morphine any pain killers tramadol and some anitheistic drugs so after giving me tramadol that didnt work and vomting the gave me an epidurial to put me under which worked to a point after recovery was in HDU for 3days fighting of the tramadol and in server pain as nuroaphen and panadol dont actually help,then pain in my chest and uptine blood test show a PE suspected in my lung so i lost count on how many heprin injection in my stomach they continued when i was taken up to the ward  my scare is just over 8inches and after a week in hospital im home but only just know able to feel better still hurts when i fet up or down to sit walking helps heaps but very tried afterwards part of the superglued area came undone with a little bit of blood but when i went back to hospital they just cleaned it and sent me home it slowy repairing itself the pian is easing but i get sharp pians accross my left side of scare and my whole stomach is still swollen heaps and it burns some parts of my stomach around the wound bikini line and back are still numb unsure if this ts normal and it now been 3 weeks and still very sore and have trouble getting around i dont know if this is realated to surgery but i woke up and the base of my left foot aches so much i cant walk on it feels like a bruise and i so over it i want to get back to being me and dancing and having a good time  to scared to tell doctors sometime as dont want to think im a hyper over little things / i hate being sick i hate hospitals
thanks for reading just thought i put my story out there cheers rb  
Hi everyone im 28 years old, i have been trying for a baby for 6 years early last year i started to experience really bad pains whilst on my period the pain was so bad i would vomit so i went to see my gp and he refered me to the hopsital i was diagnosed with servere endometriosis in the summer of  last year after having a laparoscopy and was told my tubes are clear which he was suprised about.
When i went for my check up i was told i would not be able to concieve (conceive) naturally my only hope was ivf, i already have a boy and he is 9 this year so i was told im not entitled to help from the NHS.
I made appointment to go private and had a scan and they found a cyst that measured 5cm on my left ovary i was advised to have this removed due to the ovary may not respond to treatment. I went back to see my gynae and he did another scan which showed it was a pure endometriosis cyst which had grown another cm i also have a frozen pelvis and he has decide my only option its to have laparotomy. I have my appointment for the operation which is on the 26th april i have been told it will improve my chances of concieving naturally but am at high risk of eptopic pregnancy. Im really scared about having th op but i know i have to have it done just hope it really works so us .
thanks for reading my story x
Hi Kailey,

I totally understand your nervousness.  I am a 59 year old school teacher and I had never had surgery before either.  I was frightened (about everything) and didn't know what to expect. I had a dermoid cyst on my left ovary that was large and had to be removed.  Because of it's size, the doctor didn't feel comfortable doing it laparoscopically. I had it removed on 3/19 and I must tell you, I never had to take a pain killer stronger than Advil.  The hardest part of the recovery was trying to find a comfortable way of getting out of bed.  My doctor used a "bikini cut" incision even though my bikini days have long passed. :-)  While I have stitches under the skin, she used a surgical glue on the outer skin.  I took it easy the first two weeks and now the incision has healed beautifully.  I imagine your healing will be even better.  Due to the anesthesia, my belly was bloated after the surgery so you may want to consider a pair of sweat pants to wear home instead of your jeans.  Rest in bed with your knees bent.  It will help with the gas.  Some friends recommended Gas -X but I didn't need it.  Eat fiber rich foods (like oatmeal and apples).  Prune juice may also help if you are constipated.  I would also recommend getting a raised toilet seat with handles.  You may not need it but it was one of the best things for me.  No one told me about it but I noticed they had one in the hospital.   Also, get yourself a good book (s) and take it easy.  I am hoping  to go back to school after 4 weeks since it was open surgery but the range can be anywhere fro 4-6 weeks.  I've read that people go back to work after 2 weeks when they have a laparoscopy but still need to "listen to their bodies" and not push things or else they have set backs.  I hope this is helpful, Kailey, and that knowing what to expect puts your mind somewhat at ease.  I hope you are surprised and have a smooth recovery too!
My surgery got moved to next month , I told them that I am not ready . My doctor is fairly easy going about things , we have a very good relationship . Thank-you so much for everything ! It sure does put my mind to ease a bit ! I love to read .. I have a library room in my house . So i will definitely read while I'm recovering ! I will not have to worry about school while recovering , because I am now currently being homeschooled . Along with the mass , I also have severe depression , so when I am not at my boyfriends , I am reading or sleeping . :)

Again , thank-you so much !
hiya I'm ali who's 40 and thought i was just having a laparoscopy but ended up with having a laparotomy on the 23 mar to remove a large cyst and right ovary.The dr gave me 4/5 weeks off work,which included 2 weeks holiday i booked too.I'm due to go back around the 14th may maybe.Does anyone else who has had this procedure get backache everyday since?Also where i had the laparoscopy where they tried the 1st time i think the stitch has just kinda dissolved but its still sore bleeding for the past 3 mornings with some pus coming out is this normal?I can move around a bit better,but the more things i do my back hurts more.My job if i go back is a kitchen assistant washing up and quite alot of lifting,would anyone advise a bit longer off?Also i have hardly been out the house since 23rd march,i'm scared to go out again on my own...do i sound crazy???It sounds weird i know.
Hi. I had this same procedure done a week ago. The doctor removed a 19 cm cyst along with my right ovary and tube.  The first few days of recovery were definitely the worst. I had to have help sitting up and moving to new positions. As the days pass, i find it easier to do more on my own but i do still let my family help as much as possible.  I can now get myself up on my own and i take very small walks. They say increased activity helps the healing process. My incision is all the way across my abdomen and although its still very sore, i do see a difference as the days go on.
I just had a laparotomy on July 9th to remove large chocolate cysts on both ovaries (my 1st surgery and I was very scared).  I have read many blogs and the information has helped me a lot.  The surgery went well and luckily my doctor was able to keep my ovaries in tact.  However, he told me that I have severe endometriosis and my odds of having a child are very small....  That is another story.  

It has been 3 days since my surgery and I am feeling really well considering.  The first couple of days were hard and I needed a lot of assistance from my family.  Of course it is still hard to stand up and sit down but I have been trying to walk around from time to time and I think that has really helped.  The gas pains have reduced and my range of motion has increased.  I was finally able to go home tonight and take care of my self for the first time since my surgery.

I am still taking it easy but I feel better each day.  I am thankful for this blog because it prepared me for my surgery.  Thank you everyone for preparing me for the good and bad of a laparotomy.

I had my right ovary removed as the ovary ruptured and became gangrene after it had twisted on itself. I have similar cyst in left ovary and am now worried that it might twist on its own. I haven't had kids yet. My operation was 20 days ago and i still have slight pain and discomfort and am very weak. Unsure how to better myself at this point.
Reading this blog was really helpful to me, I'm 20 years old, I had a laparotomy on Thursday (it's Wednesday now, so almost a week ago) and hearing about other people's experiences made me feel so much less alone! To be honest I didn't think the hospital made me feel prepared for recovery, but at least my mom had this before and she has been so helpful!

I had constant nausea for 14 months before finally, a few weeks ago, the gastroenterologist sent me for an ultrasound because he thought I had a cyst. Before, they hadn't been able to find the problem and said it was probably something dietary...it turns out I had a 14 x 10 cm cyst..unbelievable the weird things that your body can do! When I went to the gynecologist he said it was the equivalent to being five months pregnant!

The actual surgery went well, I don't have a follow up appointment with the doctor until three weeks after, but the evening of the surgery he came to see me briefly and said he said most of my ovary was saved; about 20% of it was removed. I was happy about this, because he had said beforehand that he may have to remove the whole thing. When I first came home, I could occasionally feel a tiny sharp pain in my ovary, which felt so weird! He said the removed part will most likely regenerate.

Definitely go to a doctor you are comfortable with and confident in! I really like the doctor that I have, and I think knowing how experienced he is put my mind at ease. Plus he's just been a nice guy through the whole thing.

The area seems to be healing well; a lot of the swelling has gone down. I'm still having still having quite a bit of trouble getting around the house much at all due to the soreness, but I do walk around a little as much as I can, and it hasn't even been a week yet so I'm not worried. I think yesterday I was a little overzealous because I was feeling well, so today I'm going to rest more.

The worst part for me was the anesthesia and drugs, they made me so sick afterwards! I felt great when I first woke up..I was kept in recovery for longer than expected because apparently I was really dehydrated (one of the nurses said I was the palest person she'd ever seen in recovery...which startled me and made me think I might be dying, lol) 3-3 1/2 hours after surgery ended they brought me to my room, and my parents were in there waiting. I was completely wide awake by then. When the doctor came by later, he said it looked like I hadn't even had surgery.

However, by the next day the medicines had started to get to me ( I had a morphine pump thing, which I really didn't use much at all..but the nurses kept encouraging me to, even though I was hardly in pain- that frustrated me!!) and I was really nauseated. That continued for several days, even after I came home on Saturday (two days after surgery). They gave me zofran for the nausea (which, fyi, is constipating!! if you take this in the hospital, just make sure to be aware of that when you are home. I continued taking the zofran for two days when I was home actually, which I'm sure did not help that problem). Once the morphine was taken out they wanted to give vicadin, but I took motrin instead and it was fine. They still wrote a prescription for vicidin; I continued to take motrin at home for two days, and now I don't need it anymore.

I did have problems with constipation, I've been taking Dulcolax stool softener for a couple of days, and took Senokot yesterday and finally had a bowel movement. I'm drinking a lot of water and eating fiber, and feel like I'll be normal soon. By the way, I recommend both of those! For me, they were effective but very gentle.

I don't have any groundbreaking advice, haha, just the same as everyone else! Walk a little when you can, take the least amount of pain meds possible. If you're worried about nausea from the anesthesia, ask for meds to be put in the IV, or for something to take beforehand. I did and I still had the nausea, but it probably still helped me feel ok when I first woke up. Take stool softener when you get home and eat fiber foods and drink lots of water until everything wakes up and gets moving again. I was eating really light in the hospital because I felt so sick, and the nurses kept trying to get me to eat more normal food. Really, I'm glad I hadn't eaten that much because it would have made the constipation worse for when I got home.

Before you have surgery, get out some movies, magazines, books, load up the DVR, etc so that there's stuff ready for you to do when you get home! You will want to rest!!! Try to get as much help as you can from others because you really don't want to overdo it.

I feel like I'm turning a corner now and I finally slept in my own bed last night :) (I slept in a big comfy chair the first few nights at home).

Best of luck to anyone having this done! Just concentrate on recovering well!
Its been about 3 yrs since I had my right fallopian tube removed & every month when I get my period I get the most excruciating pain and I feel like its not getting any better.  Is this normal?
Did all of you had the operation recover? I'm due to have my left ovary and cyst removed via keyhole surgery, but have consented to hysterectomy if necessary, but bloods etc have come back ok am worried they will just go for the whole think without good reason?

Was told three month recovery time.
Today I am 5 weeks post op from a laparotomy and am still in a lot of discomfort and my tummy is still very swollen,which comes and goes..  My doctor told me the surgery would be 45 minutes and wound up being 3 1/2 hours.  My ovary was the size of his fist, which the sonogram showed it being the size of a walnut.  There were four complicated cysts in my ovary, which proved to be non-cancerous.  Very grateful for that.  However my ovary was completedly glued to an organ with scar tissue and all of my other organs on the other side were completely glued together with scar tissue as well. I was in the hospital 5 days instead of one and I could not urinate on my own for days because my bladder was so traumatized from separating it from my other organs.   I am a bit discouraged though, as I thought the discomfort and swelling would be much better by now.  I admit though that I probably overdid it with going back to work last week and having a business trip and had to drive over 8 hours combined.  I feel like I take a step forward, then two steps back.  Anyone else still this sore and swollen five weeks post-op from a laparotomy?  My Dr. told me last week that all of my organs were very traumatized from being surgically separated with the scar tissue.  Is this normal?
Hi,I just have surgery laparoscopy four almost five months now. And I feel ok,till now ,after four weeks you feel better and you can go back driving...then,after five weeks I went back to work..but no heavy lifting for months...I never take pain killer when I get out from surgery...I stay two days in hospital. But now,still numb my left thigh and stomach where's my cut..?it's just small incs. And just wondering that when I can go back to exercise?lol. I'm getting heavy now..I'm scared to much exercise maybe bad..but,I'm lifting more heavy now than before...so,don't worry you be ok...it's ,normal that you worried...it's my first time to ge surgery...just leave it to god...u be ok..
Confused how to post on this forum..
I know this comment was a while ago, but if you notice, many of the women with increased pain have large cysts. Cysts that burst, have adhesions attached, or that are overly large with calcification or scarring are going to cause more pain. I had 2 c-sections and I was up a week later. Not that big of a deal for me. This surgery has knocked me on my butt though. It's not rude to give some hope but you make light of other people's situation. I am glad that you had an easy go of it, but there are many of us that have not been as lucky as you. Believe me, I wish I was. Currently I am 1 week out of laparotomy for a removal of a softball sized ovary and a football solid tumor that they found while they were in there. Every woman is different and unfortunately, an oophorectomy is commonly also an exploratory surgery which also increases the pain and healing time.
This was my first surgery and it was just 2 weeks ago. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! My cyst was larger than a softball and was slowly rupturing. My doctor wanted me to wait to see if it would slow down, due to family history I said I would prefer it being removed. My doctor was not informative at all. After surgery I did not wake up for 8 hours and when I did my whole left side of my stomach was raised do to my doctor leaving co2 and fluid inside me. I stayed less than 24 hours at the hospital and they sent me home even though I could not even hold myself up to go to the bathroom! My doctor gave me no instructions on caring for my incisions and told me I was being a cry baby and I shouldn't be feeling any pain! Grr!
Its not that bad!! I know everyone's experiences are different. I read all these posts before going in and was terrified. I was totally exhausted on the second day, and I didn't like the restrictions that the catheter brings for a day or two, but the pain relief used is excellent. After 3 days I started walking and had all drips etc removed. The scar is not that bad, and is getting lighter every day. This is often a life saving operation, given that, it's really well worth having, and it's honestly not that bad (or wasn't for me) I'm into week two and am enjoying not being allowed to do too much still, whist feeling great! Getting whatever sickness is inside of you, out, improves your well being and energy levels. I feel healthy enough to return to a teaching position, but at the same time am going slowly back to real life. My stomach is much much flatter two and I've lost 4kgs. I had a hysterectomy and a cancerous tumor removed. Hope this helps those of you soon to face this operation.