Large Lump on Groin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Large Lump on Groin

7072308?1310859352
The photo is a picture of a lump that is on my groin area before it popped. I got it checked out by a doctor yesterday and I was given antibiotics. My doctor said it could be a lump from an infection by an ingrown hair or it could be a boil or a Bartholin Cyst. She also told me that I should keep a warm compress on it and to leave it alone and try not to pop it.
I've been taking my meds and I've been keeping a warm compress on it since then. However, earlier today, I was just sitting on the couch watching TV, when the lump burst. Pus came out and now this clear liquid is coming out. What do I do? Do I keep a warm compress on it and let it drain? Do I wash it off with warm water? Should I put a band aid on it? How do I avoid more infections?? I heard that the pus can lead to more infections and I don't want that.
If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated!
The most important thing is to keep the area clean, antiseptic and covered. Go get some sterile non stick gauze square pads. Pick the size appropriate for the size of the wound.
  1. Clean wound in shower with mild soap & water, or by hand with clean cloth
   2. Hot compresses will draw the pus out and make it feel better by relieving pressure.
   3. Apply anti-biotic cream like Neosporin to wound.
   4. Cover with square of sterile gauze
   5. Hold in place with medical tape.
Every day repeat this process until all oozing is stopped. Then give it some air but still apply your antbiotic cream. If it does not get better see your doctor.