Large Lump on Rib below Left Breast
I have a large lump on my rib that is right below my left breast. It is not in my breast but below my breast.I had a tumor removed a year ago in my right breast, which was benign, but this is strange. It is very large and very distinctive. Can you have a tumor on your rib and not in your breast that might be Breast cancer and what do you think it can be. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
I discovered a lump under left breast in July (female) right on chest wall, had MRI scan in September which showed a Lipoma, about size of a plum,  harmless but uncomfortable due to location - had it removed yesterday under local anisthetic (ouch) will be sent for biopsy but surgeon 100% sure just a Lipoma (fatty lump).

Hazel (39 yrs)
hope the biposy was negative.
It is now almost Christmas ... my mother passed on September 30th and my life is forever changed.  The "nodule" turned out to be a 3x9 cm lesion, secondary cancer ON HER BACK RIBS!!  It was not her gallbladder (though they removed it any way).  She felt the sensation to the front.  My mother passed away upon completing 5 bouts of radiation to the site and 1 round of chemo (treating for an unknown primary and likely a lung cancer that wasn't showing up yet).  She aspirated while in hospital and after 2 months of fighting the hospital (who just wrote her off when I admitted her for malnourishment and dehydration) we lost the battle that we were actually feeling we were winning.  We never knew where her primary cancer was, though we tested everywhere but the colon.  Unknown primary oncologist was certain, due to the cancer strain, that it was not in the colon and likely lung.  We fought so hard ... questioning things that they were doing that they shouldn't have done, and questioning things that they weren't doing and should have done ... brutal ... the healthcare system.  Advocate for your loved ones ... don't give up ... my sisters and I tried very hard for many, many weeks.  We were there for her because she didn't want to give up and she wanted to live.   I love you Mom and I miss you terribly.  Don't give up and insist on timely care for unknown ailments.
-- Jumac
Went to doctor for same thing. Lump left Rib just below the breast.D oc says not Breast but, set me up with a Surgeon immediatley to have it removed. Says it is probably a lipoma but only way to rule out bone sarcoma (tumor) is to take it out. Plus it hurts like hates if you palpate it.
i have the same things your discribing..wondering if you found out what you had?
im 16 and ive just noticed a pimple looking lump, it is red around it and hurts when you touch it. ive been really tired lately and have been getting headache's on and off. there are so many comments that sound similar to my symptoms..just wondering if any of these symptoms sound like your's and what the outcome was:) cheers.and hope everyone will be ok xx
just thought id let you know!
it ended up being a boil!
soooooooooo greatful that it wasnt anything like bad ''cancer'' and hope that everyone else is getting the good news!
Hello, I see your post is from 2008, did you ever find out cause of your ailments?  I hope your are okay and you found a remedy.
I have very simular issue. I've been told I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis of the ribcage.  Even with this, I still believe there is something else not right. Why do I have lumps and bumps which are so painful! My blood test resently shows I'm Enimic and have inflamation. I too have history of cancer in my family. , so I'm am concerned.
As a physician I would like to make a few suggestions.  First of all, any mass involving the breast needs to be further evaluated with either a mammogram or an ultrasound.  That includes the underarms area as it contains breast tissue also known as tail of Spence.  
Second of all, if the mass is nontender, smooth, mobile it is most likely either a lymph node (depending on location such as underarm, clavicular, etc), or lipoma which is a benign fatty growth.  The only way to determine the diagnosis for sure is to do a fine needle biopsy, and that decision will depend on your provider's suspicion level based on the location and presentation of the mass.   Therefore I would recommend you evaluate all suspicious masses with your physician, who will decide whether further work up is needed on individual bases.  The reassuring factor is that most of these masses do come out to be benign.  But instead of following up on threats from other peoples cases, do go and see your own doctor.
Just as a follow up, the previous threat was referring to masses NOT on the actual breast tissue, but rather "over the rib" as was the initial post.  The differential diagnosis for actual breast mass is much larger, and these masses do need to be taken very seriously.  
Wow.  I am experiencing the exact same thing.  I don't recall injurying myself in order for my lower left ribcage to hurt.  I am so scared it is the big CA or maybe something worse.  On top of all of that, I am a nurse and never experienced this before.  Nursing school and life teaches you how to become a nurse but not a patient.  I am very aftraid.  If anyone have any anyput, I am all ears.
I am experiecing the very same thing.  If you have insight about it please share.  I am so afraid.
I can relate to the exact same thing as we speak.  I pray it is not cancer.  I am so afraid.
I have the same issue und er me left breast and armpit. Sometimes it's irritated and a little swollen. It is almost a achy feeling but occasionally it is a sharp pain. When it's around the time of my menstrual cycle I acts up worse. The strange tight feeling sometimes goes all the way down my left side near the abdomen area and my shoulder blade. I'm 23 and terrified of doctors. Is really like to know to results from your doctors visit. I know I should go I'm just terrified.
I have all of these symptoms as well, except my lump is on my side about 2 inches from my left breast on my rib.  I have dull pain on my left side starting from my neck, shoulder and breast area and have noticed that I have had an upset stomach for the past couple of months with loose bowel movements daily.  I am an ex-smoker and I am TERRIFIED I have lung cancer, how stupid could I have been to be a smoker.  I am 35 and have two girls ages 2 and 5 and am so scared I cry myself to sleep that I have caused this myself, guilt is eating me alive.  Our symptoms seem to be similar to lymphoma, but now that I have read Jumac67`s post my fears have intensified.  I have a doctors appointment on Thursday and to be quite honest I am terrified and am scared to hear what it is or could be.
I would be too, omg i freak out about it all the time, but the doctor really scares me.
I am 41 and having pain and numbness On My left side every since i had a lump under My left breast also My leg is numb and painful. But My Husband taking me to The doctor tomorrow but i am nerves! Some one please tell me something asap! Thank u
Hi you posted "My husband has a lump on his ribs about three inches long. It is just below the left breast. It is tender to the touch and when he stretches his left arm up it causes him pain. He has a doctor appointment on Thursday.  I just hate that every time you find something like that you have to be scared to death of what it is.  Hope it's nothing and can then we can breathe again. "

Did he find out what he had? I have the same symptoms and i have a dr apt tomorrow,  can you reply to me so I have a better understanding of what to ask the dr

thanks

-Javier
Hi I just wanted to tell you some details cause your the first person with the exact same symptoms as me. My ribs have been hurting for a while now. Its uncomfortable to drive, its difficult to breathe and my ribs are tender around the area where i recently discovered a lump. Its a hard lump but if I feel around I get minor movement, also if you push there area where the lump is my ribs poke in and out.My back hurts in the exact same area as well. What struck a chord with me on your comment was your skin. My skin hurts and is tender to touch. If I bump into something its way more painful then it should be. Even being lightly touched the wrong way hurts. I noticed your comment was posted in 2008 and I am just curious if you have had any further results on whats going on. I need answers and anything would help.
Hi, it sounds like you have fibrocystic breast changes, which is painful but not dangerous it's very common 50-60% of women have it, basically you'll feel lumpiness in your breasts and pain mainly before your period.
I found a lump under my left breast. close to my lower rib  Had a ultasound.  Doctors was not sure what it was.  The radiologist used a guided ultasound and it was a fluid filled cyst, but after he was finished i still feel some like before,i told him.  Well any way i go back next week to see the breast doctor again. well i pulled out my cd of my lung xray last year and can see the area in concerned. i am surprised the radiologist that read my xray did not see it. Let you know when i find more out
I have exactly this, I went to see my GP and he was 99.9% sure it was a cyst, and unsure if it was even in my breast tissue. I have a checkup and a scan at the breast clinic tomorrow morning and I will post back with what they say. The chance of malignancy in a woman my age, 26, is incredably rare, and my GP was certain as you can be in medicine that it was nothing sinister. He said they may needle it in the clinic to draw the cyst fluid off to make sure it is not an abscess or filled with any bugs. They may on the o ther hand leave it alone, as it has shrunk in size considerably since I saw my GP which is consistant with cysts, they can appear and disappear very quickly and form anywhere in the body, anywhere on the skin and on any organ.
Well I have been told by the consultant that there is 'nothing there', and if there was a small cyst it was nowhere near my breast tissue. I think this is a seperate issue non related to the breast. Have any of you been evaluated for a condition called costrocondritis? It is a swelling of the cartelege which sits in between your ribs. It could also be fat necrosis, caused by a blunt force trauma to the area, specially if you are a bit overweight with more fat around the chest. Fat Necrosis can also just 'happen' with no recallable cause.

Lipoma is a benign fatty tumor which is formed when a bunch of lipids (fat cells) decide to stick to each other. These can form anywhere on the body, and are common on the chest, arms and stomach area.

I don't think this is actually a breast condition, once you have been checked by a breast consultant, if you are still worried, ask your GP or primary care doctor to refer you to see a skin & muscle specialist, who can have a look at whether or not this is relarted to fat problems, lipoma, or even spare skin if you have lost a lot of weight quickly.

Another common 'condition' is 'supermammory' breasts. This happens when breast tissue forms outside of the normal area, such as on your sturnum, in your armpit (always check here when performing your self check, as your breast has a tail which goes up toward your axilla (armpit) and feel for any swollen lymph nodes under your arms as well. With a supermammory breast, you can have just the tissue, or the tissue plus a nipple, anywhere on your body! It forms in utero (before you were born and inside your mother's womb) and some say it is caused by your mother's estrogen.

This condition is benign, but it is not yet known if breast cancer can form in a supermammory breast, so until we know for sure, if you do have this condition, check your extra breast & nipple just as you would your usual two on your chest.

A skin callus is where something rubs the skin repeatedly (like the bottom of your feet) and caused a hard layer of dead skin cells to form. A callus can be caused by friction from your clothes even, so wearing an underwire bra that does not fit correctly could cause a callus where the bone cuts into your skin, around your breast or axilla area.

You must always get ANY new lumps & bumps checked out, even if they are not in your breast it is important, because quite a few lumps, even though cancer is rare, can contain cancer or pus, a build up of pus under pressure (abscess) can be pretty painful and even dangerous if it ruptures into the body and the bacteria get into your blood and head up to your brain or heart, causing endocarditis or a brain infection. Abscesses need draining, so if your lump throbs, stings and swells up with a bright red 'head' or a white head on it, it is most likely an abscess and you need to seek medical attention to get it drained, flushed and dressed, it is likely you will also be prescribed an antibiotic to clear any remaining germs from your system.

Please get all these lumps and bumps checked, there is nothing to fear or be embarrassed about, your GP will see about 10 boobs per day of all shapes and sizes, and the same number of vaginas, abscesses, crusty ears and itchy anuses, so don't fret, we are all the same! NOTHING phases a doctor, they would have seen cases far worse than yours.

Hi!
Im from estonia and dont speak english very well, so excuse my mistakes. I just wanted to tell my story because i had same problems like most of you have and it was very hard to find something from internet about it. Maybe someone need this info in future.
About month ago i found small hard lump under my right breast. it was painless and hard but movable. Ofcourse i was in panic after i found it. After self examination i found swollen lymphnode under my armpit as well. So i was even more in panic.
I went to the docter who made bloodtest because of swollen node and it was normal. Today i had ultrasound because of the lump under breast. Doctor didnt find anything maligant, this lump was just littlebit swollen milk duct. He suggest me not to wear too tight bras and said its quite ordinary problem. And lymphnode was ok also :)

take care yourself! all of you! and if you find something go to docter. Its very frustraiting to wait tests and the results but after it you are happy that you made them :)
hi, we had a similar case.. and am planning to have a check up this sept 8... i pray this is nothing bad at all...
Hello. I see that you posted your post in 2008 but i hope you will answer me. Did you ever found out what was that lump on you ribs? Im asking because i also have a hard lump on my right 2 ribs, one is above my breast and another one in my breast but also attached to my rib. And before i noticed it i also have problem with getting sick before or after i eat and dr. found a H-Pylori bacteria also like you have. I want to sleep alot. Please let me know what your doctor found this lump is! (sorry for any spelling mistakes, my english not so good)  
You have been misdiagnosed.  It isn't an ulcer
Im 17 and my left rib side under the breast it slightly bigger than the other side and it seems to be a solid lump which I'm guessing may be fat however there is a small lump that I can move around with my fingers, it doesn't hurt but is uncomfortable. I have an appointment next week but I was just wondering whether anyone had updates on theirs as the majority of the cases stated seem alike to mine?
I also had a lump on my rib no test would show any thing but it was causing a lot of pain I was finally sent to a surgeon and he removed a tumor off my 12th rib. It was a fatty tumor but know I have a large bulge just down below my right breast above where the tumor was removed I can't sleep at night when I lat on that side kit feels like I am on a baseball and the whole area around the whole rib cage hurts and there are ore lumps so here I go again with test. Please have your's checked out just to mark sure
Hey everybody i have a knot under my left breast and got very worried and went to the doctor and they did a x-ray because the doctor said it felt like my rib was swelled x-ray was fine so they done a ct-scan and i got the results today and i have inflamed rib which is called Costochondritis
Medicine (medical treatment) is more of an art than a science.  Doctors are humans/mortal (just like everyone else).  If you went to 10 different doctors (with the EXACT same symptoms) you may end up with 10 different digagnosis, and 10 different treatment plans.  

There is an old saying that says opinions are like @$$holes (in that everybody has one).  That applies to ALL people (including doctors :-)

Okay, I've got it too. I've had a pain along my 5th left rib, running from mid-breast back and up at the angle of the rib to about mid-side. It doesn't go right around to the spine. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago, after putting some big sheets of heavy masonite on the lounge room wall that I'm renovating. I felt the strain across my upper abdomen at the time because it was really hard to lift them, move them into place, then nail them by myself. Anyway, a few days afterwards I noticed a pain on the left rib, difficult to breathe and cough; sneezing is a nightmare. I've done a bit of anatomy, so thought it was possibly a strained muscle between or along the ribs. Looked it up and expected the symptoms to go away in a couple of weeks. Now, when I lay down at night, I can feel a hard lump on the 5th rib at about mid-side or just to the front of it. Yes, it is along the exact line of the bra wire (that some have mentioned in previous posts) and wearing one sometimes is very painful. But the pain is worse at night when lying down. The lump is on the rib or underneath it. It's not in the breast tissue. The pain runs along the outside of the rib from the side, then goes underneath it into the upper abdomen closer to the sternum. You know how it's natural to rub the muscle when you've strained it to relieve the pain? It's painful and tender to touch the side of the rib, but you can't 'touch the pain' along the front of the rib, which makes me think it's a muscle that attaches itself to the side of the rib, then moves into the abdomen. The lump that I've noticed now could be an inflammation and swelling where the muscle joins the rib at the side. I've got a feeling that's what it is. Mine also gets worse after sitting at the computer for long periods, as others have said. I think that's because there is a muscle from the shoulder that joins the 5th rib at the same place. I usually sit with my left elbow on the armrest of the chair or desk to prop my chin, which is a bad habit and posture. But I think this also exacerbates the pain and aggravates the torn muscle and ligament along the rib. Continuing to life heavy things, like you do with renovating and child care, repeatedly strains the rib muscle so it's not getting a chance to heal. That's why the pain is continuing for longer than the usual 2-6 weeks. I hope that's the answer. I really don't want to go down the road of endless doctor and hospital visits for the next few years. Hope that helps. Google some anatomy pics of the rib muscles and you'll see what I'm saying.
Have had this lump about a month mine is very noticed u can tell the difference from one side to the other very painful and ive been sick on stomach too lost about 20 pds  in a month hurts to lift anything
I'm still here. The lump has gone. I'm sure it was a sprained muscle from lifting that masonite onto the wall and nailing it. Then resting my left elbow on the arm of the chair pulled it further, as the collar bone muscle joins the rib at the same point and stretched the muscle out of place further. Thought I'd follow up  FYI.
I experience having that lump you guys are trying to explain.... i got a 2 lump on my left breast, and it hurts when im tryig to feel it... its just last week.. but now its already gone.. i think its just because of my monthly period.. so some of you guys who are experiencing this kind of lump, you guys shouldnt worry that much.!:) godbless guys...
I am having the same issues and very painful under the left breast never had before with the large lump/ridge area, there is a small ridge/lump under the right but no where near like the left. When I asked my Dr about it...she said it was from wearing an under wire bra (of which I have worn all my life and have never had a problem before!) but I wonder do any of you on here wear an Under Wire Bra???
I am having this same lump between my breast on the ribs, i had breast cancer 2010  and had the left breast removed and it is under that breast, it burns when i eat sometimes and it feels hard and a bit uncomfortable. I am 4o now and had a baby last December. I will go and see the doctor soon.
I have a very large 5inch long by 1 inch wide very painful lump on my right side feels as though it my be on a rib starts just at my breast tissue and curves around to my back waiting for ct scan has anyone heard of this before
I have a lump under my left breast, and pain.  It is very small, not even enough to cut for a biopsy.  I am a month away from my 10 years mark as a survivor.  I had inflammatory breast cancer.  I saw the doctor.  She said it is residual pain from the radiation of the cartilage surrounding the ribcage. We are going to do a PET scan to rule out anything.  I have read the above posts and agree with what the doctor and others said:  you know your body, trust your instincts, and be your own advocate.  If you feel that something is amiss than pursue it.  You have the right to copies of your test results.  Read up and study what things mean and what diagnoses mean and go from there after you have some data.  
I to have these same problems...lump on right shoulder tender and size of golf ball , tender and lumpy on lower left side of ribs and also IBS symptoms for last year and if I drink alcohol feel really ill , my right shoulder is very painful and keeps locking and clicking with no strength left in it , can't even pick up full kettle now .....waiting for hospital appointment to come through .
I have had the same symptoms since April. Did this ever get diagnosed or get better on its own?
i have the same problem  , i have a lump on my left side under neath my left boob , its ontop of my rib , i had it for a bought a year now , and i went to the doctor and they said it was just a fatty part . but i did sit ups like they said and nothing happend . it hurts when i sit a certain way now and i just turned 17 . did you find out yet ?
have you found any thing more out about the lump and pain???
i haven't worn a bra in years (i live on the beach) i am 20 years old and i have all of these symptoms: all as you mentioned added with the previously mentioned "burning" or "spasm"  in the same place as the lump but in my back, as well as the shortness of breath in that side (right in my case) and the whole area of the ribs itself is tender when breathing. I smoke, wondering did anyone else with this problem smoke before they found the lump? it was very sudden but makes sense, i havent been feeling myself in a long time. Hoping i can find a doctor who will shine some light. Thanks for listening, i hope together we can find some answers.
I swear i am having the exact same problem with the lump on my rib cage under my left breast the shortness of breath i went to the e.r they only did an xray and urine test to tell me i had a kidney infection in both kidneys on top of an bladder infection with an infection in my lung that pushed up from the bladder and kidney infection. They gave me antibiotics for 2 weeks tell me why i am still hurting with the exact same symptoms. Im going to get a 2nd opinion because i know something is wrong.. But good luck to you.
This might be an answer for some: Tietze syndrome is a benign inflammation of one or more of the costal cartilages. Read about it at Wikipedia   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tietze_syndrome
I have had a non moveable 1 1/2 inch  lump on my rib since 1991. It is painful at times. Usually painful when my back is out.  But painful at other times too. My doctor and I think it is due to, during pregnancy, my daughter was in the breech position up until the day before she was born and her head was pushing hard on my ribs. My doctor and I are assuming there was damage caused to the cartilage.  As you can read in Wikipedia about Tietze Syndrome : "While the true causes of Tietze's Syndrome are not well understood, it often results from a physical strain or minor injury, such as repeated coughing, sneezing, vomiting, or impacts to the chest. It has even been known to occur after hearty bouts of laughter. It can occur by over exerting or by an injury in the chest and breast."
I also have a lump, I call it a fatty deposit under my left breast, just on top of my rib. I've had it removed and it is just that, fat. It is not really attached to anything according to the doctor. Iit came back. Sometimes it feels like it's trying to pill away and then it hurts a lot. I dislike it for cosmetic reasons as it is very noticeable
Ok so I have a cyst sitting on my 11th rib at the bottom and more towards my back and yesterday had to have it biopsied.  I have had constant pain in that same spot for almost 2 years and no one even tried to help or explain until it broke my rib in May now they want to be concerned just had biopsy yesterday so I have to wait over a weekend to find out what's going on
I started hurting severely in my rib cage area (Left) Went to the Doctor and I found out not that day but I had a blister on my back....Went to the ER and discovered I had Shingles!ive had it 3 times now. The 1st was severe nerve pain attracting your system! Look for 1 blister or more! GOD Bless and I hope this helps! Emily
36 year old male. Recently felt a lump about 4 inches below my right nipple. It is around 1 x 3cm and isn't very movable. (It seems to move with all the tissue/skin if I stretch but doesn't feel like an ingrown hair/etc.) There is no pain and it is not visible. It feels similar to a swollen lymph node, but I know there isn't a lymph node there.  My doctor called for an ultrasound which failed to see anything. Any idea what this could be? Family is full of cancer, so of course worried. Thanks!
I to have got a lump under the bottom of my left breast almost on ribs. That developed after my appendix brust. It dosent hurt but damn the lower part of my bra rides on it so sometimes irritates it and I have even noticed it has gotten bigger