Large Lump on Rib below Left Breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Large Lump on Rib below Left Breast

I have a large lump on my rib that is right below my left breast. It is not in my breast but below my breast.I had a tumor removed a year ago in my right breast, which was benign, but this is strange. It is very large and very distinctive. Can you have a tumor on your rib and not in your breast that might be Breast cancer and what do you think it can be. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
you should always get lumbs checked out better safe than sorry
oh gosh please let me know if u find out anything on that lump. I have one just like ur describing and the surgeon who removed a lump from my left breast last yr refused to even acknowledge it being there
-- Is your lump large and right ontop of your rib? I had a tumor removed from my right breast which was benign and this is so different. But I'm going to a Surgeon the 23rd of May  and he's gonna remove it and send it to pathology. I would make sure that you have yours done the same. Take care
What did they find with the lump on your rib? Thanks good luck
Wow your symptoms sound exactly like mine, i had to do a double take to make sure that it wasnt my post. I have a lump on the bottom rib on the left side under my breast. I had it checked out at docs and it feels like bone matter and doesnt move at all it is firmly stuck. I only noticed it since i had my first child. It seems like it could be scar tissue from when i cracked the rib years ago when i had a really bad cough (believe it or not!!). Does this sound similar to yours and do you think i should get it re-checked again?

Keep us posted.

Lou
Hi I have a question, my dr. found a lump on my right breast and ask how long had it been there. and then she said male or female and said i'm sending you to a surgeon. and she nothing else was said about the lump. i should have ask more questions but i think i was in shock. because im only 28. so my question is why is she sending me to a surgeon, should i be concerned? if anyone can help me understand this it would be great!!!

I have similar symptoms...a thickened, hard area on my left second rib just next to the sternum. It isn't painful and it doesn't move, and there's no swelling or redness. Have any of you found out what your rib lumps are from? I am going to the doctor tomorrow but remain freaked out today!
i have also got a simular long lump accros my rib just under my left breast. i can interupt my sleepin as it feels as if im layin on something and the pressure is horrible!!!!!! I have been to docs once but i wudn let her touch it properly coz my ribs are tendor around the side! She sed it was a fatty lump! i dont kno wevva to go to another doctor to have it checked out!
Hi. I have similar problems, but the lump and the pain feels like it is just underneath my left breast.
I went to the breast clinic, and they did a breast examination, and determined that I do not have
breast cancer. For some reason, I don't believe the doctor.
I have had this pain for many months now, and would really like to know what it is. My left breast
has one spot, on the side under my armpit where it hurts. I haven't found a lump, but when I touch
the side of my breast, i feel a hardened area, and it hurts when I push on it.

Anybody has any idea what this could be? I also get the rib pain, and back pain, and only on the left hand side, never on the right.
Hi! I also recently discovered a lump on my rib cage just under my right breast its about the size of a dime.  I plan to  have a follow up with doctor next month because I found a lump in my left breast a couple of months ago.  I had a Mammogram and ultrasound.  They both came back okay just showing thickening in my breast but my breast tissue was really thick and hard to read.  The doctor made me feel like I shouldn't be concerned because i am 31 and no family history of breast cancer, so he discouraged me from seeing a surgeon.  Now since finding lump number two I am concerned I that  I made the wrong choice and I am freaking out!  
I too have a lump that is growing larger and larger on my left number 5&6 ribs. It is under my left breast and is now becoming unbearable. I was just put on pain medicine and will be having a CT scan asap. Never feel intimidated by a dr about your health. It's your body and you know if something is wrong. I am beginning to feel like i have trouble taking deep breaths. I just cannot get my ribs to expand for a huge breath. I was asked if there was a history of cancer in the family . I have breast cancer on my birthmothers side. Lumps over the heart are nothing to fool around with. Take my advice and find a dr that is willing to aggressively work on you until they can find out what it is. Get a CT scan if you can. It is non-invasive and will show more than xray and not hurt. I will update as i find out what mine is. Keep fighting for your health. You only get one body and one life to be in it.
I've had a lump on my rib, under my left breast for about 6-7 years (at least).  My doctor originally told me it was a "fatty tumor" and no need for surgery (unless it got worse).  It is not only bothering me more, but the pain is also in my back (exact spot as the front) and my skin is extremely tender and sometimes painful to touch.  I have a doctors appointment Friday, but in the meantime, has anyone experienced these symptoms?
I didn't realise there would be so many!  I too have exactly the symptoms you are all describing.  My lump under my left breast/ribs? is getting bigger, my husband keeps saying yes it's called a rib!  But I have been in pain for months, stabbing originally lower chest and then my left side especially over the last 3 months.  When I drink (even a little I am sick - and everyone thinks Im hungover, I try to ensure I am not).  Also fobbed off with many reasons at the Doctors...sports injury la de da! However, I wouldn't mind if I played a sport! After my major second attack of excrutiating (what I presume) indigestion (after food, although Ive had one before food), a week later I went back to the GP, wrong day, wrong appointment (their mistake)... a temporary doctor said she would see me.  She had a feel, immediately all blood tests (negative) and other bowel samples - to be diagnosed with a H-Pylori bacteria.  I am now on 8 antibiotics a day for the next week. BUT I now feel that lump and pain even more and the worse thing is I keep falling asleep in the afternoon, soooo tired!  I don't think we are gettin any answers here...but it would be good if someone has a better idea than I've got (or any doctors).  Right now I am feeling terrible and uncomfortable.
I am 25.
And just this past week I found a lump under my left breast too!
I know it was not there a month ago because I am always looking at my breasts for stuff and it was not there.

At first I thought it was a pimple - It hurt like one and I tried to squeeze it but it just stayed there and hurt. It is sore to the touch like a bruise feels when you press on it.

It is about half the size of a dime (if cut in half) and about a quarter of an inch high.

I'm mildly worried - If anyone finds out what theirs is can you let me know?!

I've been feeling a lot of vertigo and sleepy and stomach issues too. I thought it was because I got this cold thing that has been going around - but the weird exhaustion and unfocused swimmy eye feeling persists. I also have headackes - like a light one that stays all day for a week at a time. UG!
I have just turned 40, but have had a hard lump on my right rib bone (I think) right in the crease around the base of my breast. It has been there for a number of years at least 6 or 7. I had an ultrasound on it and they questioned doing a biopsy but decided not to and just said to have it checked if there were any changes.
It is hard to tell if it changes or not. I just have noticed lately that it annoys me and is tender and seems to be bigger...hard to tell. So I went back to my doctor and she has booked me into the womens diognostic centre in Brisbane (Australia) to have an ultrasound and mammogram. I am really terrified right now. I have my appointment this Friday! I am hoping by all of the comments on here that this is a fairly common and harmless problem experienced by lots of us...I am hoping that it is just a harmless lump of some description. But with so much news of breast cancer and bone cancer you can't help but worry.
Good luck to all and I will keep you posted regarding my outcome.
I have had this rib lump on my left side, underneath my breast now for about six months.  I believe it is getting bigger now.  In February, I had a mammogram and an ultrasound on it.  The people at the Breast Care Center told me it wasn't on my breast.  They looked at the ultrasound and said they could see it but didn't know what it was and really didn't seem concerned since it wasn't on my breast.  So many people have posted here about the same problem, but no one ever comes back to say what the doctor told them.  I always feel as though my doctor thinks I am a chronic complainer, but everyone in my family has died of cancer and I don't want ot be the next fatality.  ANyone who can post the results of their doctor's visit, would be appreciated.  
Ok, I went to the doctor yesterday.  Although my mamm and ultrasound were clear in Feb, they said this was not on my breast.  Seemed like it to me, but, not arguing, I decided to wait.  Now, its July and I am having pains in ly armpit, also.  My family doctor DX'd me yesterday with lymphoma.  I go to a surgeon on Tuesday the 22nd.
WOW! Glad to know I'm not the only one. 27 year old male. I noticed a lump on my rib on the rightside. A little worried. Of course a million different causes run through your mind. It doesn't hurt and seems stationary on the rib. I have a doctors appt. on Wednesday to check it out. I will write back when I find out what the problem is, so some of us can get some kind of answer...
I'm a 28 years of age. I also have the lump on my left side rib. It started about a year and half ago. it hurt in that spot and the lump got bigger and bigger. Now it is about the size of my hand. it is very painful to lay on. It is like I'm laying on a ball and I also can't drink anymore w/out getting sick for a couple days. I have gone to the doc and got alot of tests and blood work done and they said it was nothing but inflamed fatty tissue.
well.....not to sound the same but it seems we all have the same thing in common. I am 33 F and found the same lump under my Left Breast on the Ribs. The first time I felt like it was one of those nasty stiches in my side that you get when you cannot take a deep breath. Then when it did not go away for hours I thought I need to see my Dr.  well he said the same as what most of you have heard. It is a pulled muscle. But to me it is getting bigger and more annoying than anything. I feel it all the time when I put on a bra and when I lay on my stomach. I am getting worried because I know it should not be there. Has anyone heard a real diagnosis from their Dr. or are we all just sitting and waiting...... I to will be making an appointment to see him again JUST to make sure I don't have anything to worry about. Thanks for the info I do feel better knowing I am not alone.
Wow Deja Vu same symptom same feelings with the exception that I have a burning sensation not like heartburn.  I am going Monday to the Dr.  So far no one has come and said it was cancer and to be more vigilant with the Doctors so I guess for me it is a waiting game also.
i too found a lump in between my breasts and under my left breast a definite ridge. for at least two weeks when i lay on my front etc i was noticeable more uncomfortable. went to the doctor who felt the lump and the ridge under my breast and asked me to come back. went back yesterday and the lump was hormone related but i am still very sore in between and below breasts. she has now diagnosed me as having inflammed muscles between my ribs. but i very tired all the time and dealing with a sore back. it's hard not to think it's something more.
This is all very interesting. I have had a hard, round, slightly moveable lump under my left breast for about a year. I first noticed it when I was at work and had a stabbing pain in my side. I felt around and found the lump (about the size of a nickle then). I can feel the lump, but can only barely see it if I stretch out. Only feel it when I'm standing up, sorta slips between my ribs when i lay down. It worried me, I saw the Dr. she said "pulled muscle". I knew it wasn't. Saw another dr. "lipoma" (but those are soft and not generally painful). Now, its been several months and I somewhat ignored the lump since it wasn't bothering me. For the past week or so my left shoulder has hurt and I had muscle spasms, the lump hurts severely! I can't sleep at night, it hurts mostly in the evening and in the morning. During the daytime I can handle it. Also, the pain radiates to my back and burns! Its like a stabbing, burning, pain. Now the lump is the size of a quarter. It hurts when I touch it, I tried applying heat....bad choice; hurts worse. The area over the lump is warm to the touch. I tried cold treatment...no help. Ibuprofen doesn't help the pain. I'm 24 years old, generally active, but now I can barely move without pain. Dr's don't believe me. I can't live in pain all of the time, and I know something is not right. If anyone finds an answer....please let us know! I'm making an appointment with a new dr. asap, but I'm sorta skeptical.
I hope some of you have found answers to what's going on with you. And if you have please come back and let us know what you found out.

I too have a lump that I've recently found but its above my breast and closer to the center of my chest. Definitely feels like its on my rib - hurts to the touch and like someone else said, it actually feels like the pain extends to my back. I have shortness of breath - easy tasks now make me out of breath. Bizarre.  

I saw above that someone was diagnosed with Lymphoma from having the lump on the rib - has this happened to anyone else?
It was just this evening that my wife asked me to checkout something that bothered her for a month under the left breast. It did seem like a small size internal lump on a rib (like most of the posts above). At first I freaked out with knowing the amt of breast cancer cases around UAE. But without startling her, have asked her to visit the doc by tomorrow. Guess that I too will have to hear same doc blah as all above. But on another note, would thank all the above postees, that I have come to know of this being a bit common. I guess it would take some more time to post anything new from the doc's findings. Until then, wish yu'll the best of health, & stop worrying too much as it will make you feel sick more.
Just wondering if a diagnoses has been found for this Thickening below the breast
I to have recently found a lump on my rib below my right breast. Some days I feel the heaviness and soreness and I am occassionally tired.  I have night sweats then I wake up cold.  I had a lump removed and tested about 4 years ago and now this one is new and hard but does not move.  Please help with any possible answers.  God Bless you all in your health.
Hi - I was told that I had costacondritis (sp) which could be dealt with by taking ibuprofen. But if you've had a lump before sounds like you might want to get it checked out??? you can find some info on the net about what i mentioned to see if it fits....Good luck finding out what's going on ;-)
my 61 year old aunt found a lump under her left breast below the ribs and it hurts when she breathes in or out she said it also hurts when she coughs my aunt is a lung cancer survivor her cancer has been in remission for 6 years now can anyone please tell what this could be she has a doctors appointment on jan 16th but i would like him to check for a few things it would help me if you could give some info on this condition concered niece in saskatchewan canada
If your aunt has already had cancer before, definately do not play around with any type of knot.
Isn't it strange that these lumps are all (almost, anyway) in exactly the same place - on top of a rib, under the left breast?  I've had some slight pain in the area but only just discovered the lump (hard and about the size of a small almond).  I'm seeing my doctor Thursday of next week.  I must admit, I wish there were more posts about what was discovered.  I'm hoping it's simply a cyst, but it seems a cyst could occur in more varied locations - again it's strange all these are in the same place.  As for the ridge under the breast, I've had those as well - thank your underwire bra. ;)  Over the years, you basically develop a callous.  Those typically aren't painful, though - just annoying when you find them!  This lump is painful, though - not that bad, unless I'm feeling stressed (??).  It's also sort of a burning pain, with a slight numbness on the skin above it (I first thought it might be a spider bite or something similarly odd, with a neuro-toxin base).  But then the lump showed up.  I believe I also have a hiatal hernia.  This would all be in the same general area (central upper abdomen/lower chest, to the left) so I'm wondering if there might be some connection - some complication or reason why these lumps would all be in that area.  I hope we all find out they're nothing. ;)
i have a question i feel as if i have a lump on my left breast on the outline of the breast but i only feel it when i am layin on my side but when i do the BSE i dont feel it..im 20 years old but i have felt this for 3 or 4 years now..can u please help me i am so scared!!!
thank you
it is on side of the breast
Im only 16!! I found a lump under my right breast and its about the size of a nickle. It HURTS so badly that i couldn't wear my regular bra to work today, I had to wear my sports bra. It hurt me all through the night when i was trying to sleep and its right against where the under wire in my bras sit. It is a HARD circle inside the bottom of my right breast, it sits against my rib cage, which makes my ribs sore, and my breast is really tender. I set up an appointment with a gynecologist to get my breast examined, but they can't see me for 3 weeks. I'm really concerned with what it could be, but I don't know what a 16 year old girl can get. Anybody who can help?  
My husband has a lump on his ribs about three inches long. It is just below the left breast. It is tender to the touch and when he stretches his left arm up it causes him pain. He has a doctor appointment on Thursday.  I just hate that every time you find something like that you have to be scared to death of what it is.  Hope it's nothing and can then we can breathe again.

Strange how so many seem to be describing the same thing! My mom had such a lump at the end of last year (2008). It was hard, solid, immobile and located on her rib just below her right breast (along the bra line). It didn't hurt, unless she picked at it or tried squeezing it. And, it grew to about the size of a quarter in circumference. Her oncologist examined the "nodule" (that's what he called it) but, didn't think that it was related to her Cancer (Hodgkin's Disease & Lymphoma). He believed that it was a benign cyst. However, he did suggest that she have her surgeon remove and biopsy it. But, before that could happen, it shrank and disappeared. Hopefully, everyone else's weird lump will disappear too.
Hi I've only recently discovered a lump about 4 weeks ago, as you've all guessed, in the same place. It feels rock solid if i stretch out & touch it but feels fatty if I pinch it?!! It's not painful at all but it's irritating when my bra sits on it or I'm lying on my stomach. I have been having other stomach/bowel problems so whether its related to that I don't know, If any of you find any answers please keep us all updated.
Again, I am another example of the same issue.  Iroinically the day I was going for my mammogram (Feb 09) I found it, just below the left breast at the bra line. It looked like the beginnning of a pimple and was tender but did not hurt.  I went to get my mammogram, and she used a marker on it, and at first did not want to do the mammogram, asked me if I had seen the Doctor???  They did the mammogram at my request and all the results came back fine, with not even a comment about the area she marked? (Which I thought was odd) so after a few weeks it was still there and I went to my family doctor. She looked at it and said it was round and moveable, She made me an appt to have a surgeon look at it which I will see on 3/31 and will post what the outcome was. What was strange is how quick it appeared? Good luck to everyone!
Wow. I've been having shoulder pain on my right side for a while, with severe headaches localized on that side as well. Just this evening I noticed a small "nodule" under my right breast on my rib cage. It is very sore to the touch. I also have severe digestive problems (to the point of recently starting a strict vegetarian diet, as I cannot digest any meat very well anymore). I can no longer drink alcohol without severe heartburn/general ill feeling for 3 to 4 days after. I have had many strange "symptoms" popping up for almost a year and everything comes back normal. My fatigue is starting to get the best of me and I'm very worried. I'm so sick of going to the doctors and getting the run around...this test here, that test there (with all results coming back okay, which is great, except I know something is wrong). I've had blood tests, MRI, Xrays...After a previous condition I had that took 5 years and invasive exploratory surgery to diagnose I don't know if I'm up for another 5 years of no answers.
Good luck to everyone and I hope we all find relief cause this is pretty painful and irritating ( I can't even wear my bra).
Yes I have one as well on my right side on my rib. never minded much as i thought hey a barb like bone material but now i feel it more and my skin is red around it.
My husband has noticed a golf ball sized lump just under his left breast as well.  I decided that before I posted here I would wait for the diagnosis.  So far, he has had a ct scan and an xray.  They told him that it looks like a fluid filled cyst.  He has a consult with the surgeon next week.  They said that it is best to get these things out before they get too big and wrap themselves around nerves that are prevalent in the area.  He is having a great deal of discomfort since the appearance of the lump.  He says that he feels like he has heartburn or indigestion, pain not in the site itself, but to the left under the arm (lymph node area)  and that his back hurts.   I will keep everyone updated as to what is found...  Please pray that a cyst and some infection is all that it is...  
I also have a lump under my left breast on the rib.. Im going to the doc to see what it is .. This is so weird all of us have the same issue. Im nervous do not know my family history due to my mother being adopted..
Had a mammogram today and it came back normal.. I feel so blessed..
Am sooo intrigued and a little comforted by the fact that so many of you have the same prob as me.  I also discovered a very hard lump or mass under my left breast along the rib just at the crease where my breast finishes, i thought it was on my rib but not really sure.  Have got a docs app. tomorrow but have little faith in docs as have epilepsy and was mis diagnosed for 9 years before they acted on symptoms!!  There is no history of cancer in my family, which i guess is comforting.  I feel alot of pressure on it when i sit down as my breasts rest quite heavy on it and my wires on my bra seem to dig in.  it doesnt move and is rock hard and seems to go from below the breast to under my nipple but still on the ribs!  Will post again to update you all
Defintely update us Paula - interesting how this thread just keeps going and going.

I am  hopefully, going to be going in for an mri of my neck as chest as I have a lump on both.

Let us know.
Hi, I'm new here and very scared by now. I have two lumps at my collar bone (left & right) from about 10 days and today I just noticed a lump under my left breast, appearing to be under my skin. It doesn't hurt, is soft, mobile, not reddish or anything. What could it be?
I too have had these symptoms off and on for over a year. My dr. ruled out any heart problems with a battery of tests. He then thought it might be GERD but that wasn't it either. A little over a year ago I had a major anxiety attack and ended up in the hospital. A few days later I was back in the dr. office with a heart arrhythmia. My heart was beating 150 bpm while just sitting still. He put me on atenolol and I am still taking it. I have been back to him several times with always the same complaint. He said there must be some inflammation if it hurts to touch the area so he told me to take ibuprofen and use a heating pad. It helps at times but not always. I started looking things up myself and came up with costochondritis
. It seems to be the only logical thing as nothing else even seems to come close. I do have days where I am just so tired and it is hard to breath at times...of course it scares the heck out of me when it comes on but the only thing is is it's supposed to go away on it's own in about 6 weeks...mine comes back often. I notice it when I pick up my 2 year old son with my left arm and when I sit at the computer a lot. I am sick of running to the dr. to try and figure out what is wrong with me and always leave with a "it could be" this or that.
If anyone else definitely has costochondritis and you've been dealing with it for a long time please let me know. I hope  everyone gets healed and completely healthy. I know I just want to feel like I did a little over a year ago...I miss feeling "normal"!
I also found a lump on left rib under breast.    I already have an annual Dr. appointment on the 26th of Oct. so after reading about all the others who have the same symptom, decided to wait till then to have it checked.   My mother died of Lymphoma.   She was 87 yrs. old also.   I  still am worried.   Any words of comfort from anyone to hold me till my Dr. appointment.   I too hope there is a simple explanation.   There aren't a lot of results as to what this is on this site.    
I just found a lump on on my left rib under my breast.   I have been battling what I think is IBS for the last 2 years.   Sounds like it's similar to what you have.   What did you find out?  I don't go to the Dr. until the 26th Oct.    I'll post what I find out.
This is so wild. I am 45 and also found a lump under my left breast.It is about 3 fingers down. I have swelling and the lump is the size of a marble. I can move the lump around. I go 10/09/09 to have my yearly mammogram. I will post after my appt.  
ok the lump is normal. The doc says it is lympnoma??? spelling. As long as it does not bother me. He says they don't like to remove them unless they have to.
Ok mix all the sypmtoms and I come close. However my pain is under my right rib. The pain is now through the roof
Im not just tired , I now get to the point I pass out. Can anyone just tell me the type of doctor to see for this. I have gone to a surgeon and a nero. A good Surgeon a not so good neruo. I too have gone to the breast Clinic.
I need help as I now spend most of my days in bed.
To the lady who said she cant wear a bra , I havent worn one in a year. I now can not get dressed. Please if anyone reads these. Tell me your follow up or a idea of a type of doctor to see.
Thanks pj
I forgot to meantion . I have photos.
its amazing when we type an exact phrase into the google search bar and come up with ...a whole lot of people complaining about the exact same thing.  So guess what I just found...yep same thing as all of you...under the left breast, nickel sized, almond shaped, medium hardness, right atop of the rib bone....so strange.  Do you ladied think it could simply be a result of our bras pressing into the tissue and forming that lumpiness in that exact spot we all describe?  Not sure if I will get this checked just yet...and yeah mine hurts but only because I keep checking it and checking it and checking it!  so stressful when these things appear....  ugh.  any updated from above posters???????????
thanks
good health to all  :)
My update. There is another site like this one , Everyone also has the same problems that we are writing here. Though I am finding no one is writing down what they  are doing about it. I decided to start my search over . So I restarted at the begining and went to a General Practioner. Who all thought it was my T5 and T6 in my spine that I injured, so I went and had a Mri. again it showed nothing. And like most of you I am going nutts trying to figure this out. I have a question to some of you . Does any one have pain in cycles such as two weeks you can stand the pain and start to feel a little better and then wham your down with pain worse then before. Not that the pain or the lump or the shoulder pain goes away it just with pain killers you can live with it?  My next step is to go see a pain specialist who when I gave my sypmtoms to said over the phone that they didnt agree with the GP or the surgeron. Ok so that is my next step on the 24 of Nov ,09 . Then to a Gastro( indrogronologist) ok so I cant spell it. Also has anyone had any resent surgeries of any kind? I want to try and piece all the problems together. As for the woman whos node just went away that was called mondore and it does just go away. Does anyone get Burning heat not just where the lump is but on your back?
I will keep writing hopefully someone will write back. Blessings to All Julie
I have the same thing, but on the crease under my right breast.  It's about the size of a dime and feels like a hard bump (like a marble cut in half) under my skin.  My BF says it's just a pimple under the skin.  There's no pain, except if i push on it it feels the same as if you are pushing on bruised skin. On the surface it appears reddish, but it feels like it's really deep under the skin.  I'm 29.  
I am sure you are concerned since you are online looking for answers. Since you just found it . I would keep a eye on it and see if it grows or not or if it continues to cause you pain. There is one thing I have learned over the years is always trust your own instincts and gut feeling. It saved my life more then once. However sometimes you can get fibrious tissue there from wearing a bra with a under wire. First thing a breast doc will tell you is get rid of the underwire. Its hard if your a large busted woman but if your not lucky you. Keep us informed. I will keep looking for replys.
Julie
SueG06, Lymphoma is cancer of the lymph system, your post sounded vague and not concerned like everything was normal with the lump. Please post update!
Sue, I think I would get a second opinon. As for my results I go to the doctor on Tuesday and will leave a update then.
Hi.  I've been searching around a bit on the internet, and I think that Sue was probably told by her doctor that she had a lipoma.  See this link for more info:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoma
Hello all as promised I am here with updates. A lot of people are scared they have lymphoma however most of you dont. As you know I have had this problem for two years like most of you and have searched everywhere. I finally ended up in all places a regular Dr office a mile away from home. Who then sent me to a specialist. According to my pain Dr. Who holds a few degrees. Please check on this things for your self. Your T5 T6 in the middle of your back have a problem with there nerves. You have something called Dysautonomia which quite rare but then so are these lumps. Or in my case they think I have Dysautonimia and Rashless Shingles. There is a place on this form that talks about them and they are real without a rash or even a small one . This is in no way making up for a medical doctor. However after two years of searching I thought this things are worth looking into . As it has helped me a lot. Hugs to all Julie
wow. i have a palm sized(more horizontal than vertical)  moveable "lump" that looks like an extra right breast.  around 20 yrs. ago i had a "blood vessel" tumor removed and this is right under that scar.  had a ct scan and there was "no distinctive mass found...no hemangioma".  my regular doctor is out of town and won't see him until the 30th.  i am so stumped!  so i know what it isn't, but not what it is!  anyone else had this size and shape?
I am 37 and I also have a lump on my rib. I found it last week when trying a dress - my rib was sticking out terribly. I have seen one doctor who agrees there is a lump there and he is sending me for a ultrasound (in 2 weeks) its been a few days and it has become a little bigger. Now it is very uncomfortable. I am seeing another doctor today. Bit worried.  As I am a single mum - my husband died from Leukaemia 2 years ago.

Will keep  you all updated. Isn't it weird that so many of us have it on the left side under our breast.
I am 42 and have a nickle size round mass under the skin.  If I put my hand under my left breast, this lump is located about 1/2  inch of  where my pinky is. It doesnt hurt and I never would have known it was there until tonight when I was rubbing my stomach because I ate too much junk at the New Years Eve party my family had. This lump seems to be hard but can move a little. I am extremely overweight and that might have something to do with it but I don't know. I am calling the doctor tomorrow and making an appointment for next week. I will add this to my favorites so I can keep everyone posted on what comes next.
*MY ANSWER FROM MY DOCTOR*

I had actually had this for some time about 4 or more years. its exactly the same as all of your symptom.It hurts sometimes painful, a lump just below the breast ,chest pain near it sometimes all the way to my back. My doctor looked at it and laughed and it was actually a third nipple!! she said its really comon one out of 10 people typically get it including men and that some times with your menstrual cycle and even when I have alot of hormones going through me that it can be really painful and cause some pain due to it is much like a normal breast just compacted in one spot. Because in many women breast tenderness is a period symptom, but imagine haveing a very small breast with the same symptom just in a smaller region. OW!!! makes sense. I did have some of the tissue taken out but it is still pain full on occasions. usually before or a little after my period.

my doctor also told me many women dont realize what it is or worry about it til they get pregnant and in some women it can swell and produce milk!! crazy, But she said its common and that she had seen it numerous times and that though theres no reason why this occures that its very common and really is nothing to worry about just tender pain now and again to deal through.

I hope this helps many of you!!!!
So just to let everyone know many of you are not dieing, and what you have is not anything more then extra breast tissue like I said above. here is the exact name for the what many of you have this occures in 10% population many celebrities, DJs, actresses have this. its called Supernumerary Breast Tissue and for some who have a mole like thing in that spot which is common too its called supernumerary nipple.

its still not known if breast cancer can form in a third breast so still have it checked out, and something cool too know the most of these that one human has had was 8!!! and there was also a 72 year old man who had the supernumerary nipple on his thigh!!! Crazy. cgildren have these men have these its very very very common, for some doctors though its a new thing because its not a worry so they  dont think its that because there lookin g for serious things wrong with you not cosmetic.Stop being so worried everyone and live long fluent lifes!!
Hello everyone, I am 39 years old and a month ago I noticed a lump (more oblong) going from my left side (more aligned with my hip) of me around to my back. It just feel hard in the area. It is not painful but when I look in the mirror at myself, the left side is petruding more than the right. I am not sure if anyone else has the problem. It seems as though it has gotten bigger. I had an ultrasound today and they said they didn't see anything abnormal so I will wait to hear from my doctor to see if I can get further tested.
I can't believe this either.  I have suffered with this lump under my left breast for many months.  It is very painful and yes like some of you the burning pain radiates to my shoulder and all through my back.  I was diagnosed 4 years ago with post herpetic neuralgia from shingles and have had a nerve problem since with burning and itching and stabbing pain sometimes to the point I can hardly breathe.  I am wondering since with this lump I am getting the same symptoms (the burning , stabbing pain) that I was getting with the phn if this lump is causing the nerves to react in the same way.  I went to the doctors a few weeks ago with the flu but had her check the lump also and she came up with fatty tissue.  I just don't buy it and wondering why this thing is so painful.  If I sit too long the pressure is unbearable.....only thing that has alleviated the pain is a couple of Naproxen but it only diminishes it a bit not completely...it really is becoming chronic....hope to hear more of your comments.
Update on me.
They changed my medication to lyrica saying I had herpetic neuralgia . Ok I have Neuralgia in my brain so I know the pain it causes. Ok so with all things vaulium seems to help the spasms but the lump keep getting bigger. The truth I dont think they know what it really is. And unless is A , B, or C the guess because they can not but into a file. I feel like I am doomed to be this way the rest of my life.
I will see if there is more updates. Julie
I am a breast ccancer survivor.  My ancer was in my right breast.  A month ago I started having swelling under my left breast, it is also tenderr and hurts more when my left arm is over my head.  My oncologist sent me for an ultra sound.  The radiologist told me that the ultra sound did not find a problem but he examined me and found the swelling in two different places and will reccomend more tests to my oncologist.  Yes I am scared...have another Drs appointement on thurs.
will keep you all informed....toby
I  noticed my lump yesterday while in bed. It is about the size of a dollar coin ( a little bigger ), soft as if something bit me, but doesn't itch, an inch below my left breast, but more to the side, and it sticks out. It doesn't hurt or anything, its just there. I am worried, but with all the snow that we are having, I can't make it to see a doctor as fast as I would like.
I hate to give bad news.  I had the same symptoms as many of you.  Small growth in my lower right breast and something than seemed separate on my rib right below.  I had been asking Doctors to look at the thing on my rib for about 4 years.  The lump in my breast was new as of 7-8 months ago.  Had a needle biopsy a couple of months ago of the lump in my breast that came out negative. Was still concerned about the thing on my rib so my surgeon and I decided together to do a surgery and just take them both out.  Got the news yesterday that both are cancer, invasive ductal cancer.  Even the tumor that was originally thought to be benign via needle biopsy turned out to be cancer.  Go to a different doctor if you feel they are not paying attention to you.  My doctor said he'd never seen anything like the thing on my rib.  The battle begins...
I had pain on my left rib mid rib area and after few days like ten days have discovered a hard pea sized smooth nodule under my skin. now there is no pain you cant see it if u dont palpate. its hard to touch smooth and feels firmly stuck to my rib , its just where the breast ends in the lower outside the breast. any ideas? doctor said its cat fever and now kittys off the bed
Oh - I am so sorry you had to get that news - thoughts are with you and you will win this battle.
xx

I too have a hardness under my left breat and it was never painful until recently - went to the docs ages ago about it and they dismissed it as nothing - just breastbone - but I know it feels different to my other breast and I too am always tired.  I think I am going to make another appointment as it doesn't feel right
I TO HAVE A LUMP UNDER MY BREAST ITS ABOUT 2 TO 3 INCHES FROM MY BREAST ..IT FEELS MORE LIKE TISSUE, BUT I HAD IT CHECKED OUT I GOT AN X RAY AND THE RADIOLOGIST ALSO LOOKED AT IT AND SAID THAT IT WAS COSTOCHONDRITIS..THIS IS DUE TO AN INFLAMMATION OF THE CARTILAGE JOINING THE RIBS TO THE BREAST BONE..I LIKE TO CRACK MY SIDES BY TWISTING THIS TO CAN CAUSE THIS ALSO THE DR. SAID THAT IT COULD BE DUE TO STRESS..I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS MOST OF YOU WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS MINES BUT IF ITS NOT PLEASE GO AND GET IT CHECKED OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Well all these results seem all over the board.  I recently found a lump under my left breast oblong and approx. 2-3in long and 1 inch wide.  It's soft to touch and doesn't hurt.  I am 12 weeks postpartum..not sure if that will turn out to be a definer for whatever this is.  I saw my doctor today and he said it was strange and that he wasn't sure what it is.  I have a CT scan ordered and am just waiting for insurance to approve it so I can get in for an appt.  I have no history of cancers in my family and am 34 years old. I'm praying this is just a fatty mass.  I have been having a lot of stomach pains lately but my doctor doesnt seem to think the two are related.
WELL LIKE EVERYONE HERE I ALSO HAVE A LUMP UNDER MY BREAST ON THE RIBS. IT HURTS TO SLEEP , TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND I GET TIRED EASILY. I NOTICEDE A LUMP ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF AGO, BUT IT WASNT PAINFUL AT THE TIME SO I LET IT GO FOR 6 MONTHS. WHEN I WENT FOR MY YEARLY CHECK UP WITH MY PROVIDER HE TOLD ME IT WAS A LUMP OF FATTY CELLS. WELL IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS THE LUMP HAS GROWN TO ABOUT THE SIZE OF MY FIST AND HERE IN THE PAST WEEK THE PAIN HAS AWFUL.  MY PAIN IS ALSO WORST IN THE MORNING AND AT NIGHT. IT ALWAYS FEEL LIKE ITS FLUID FILLED FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. SO I HAVE TO MASSAGE IT SOFTLY FOR A FEW MINUTES.
I too have a large lump between my sternum and rib cage under  my right breast. It started a couple years back and went away. I talked to my dr and she said it could be inflammation caused by my sport bra? It did go away, but it has come back and it's bigger and tender to the touch. I feel a discomfort when I roll over at night. After reading through some of the comments I did some research on what others said. Particularly, crwstar  who posted on 12-4-08. She mentioned Costochondritis. I'm going to try the recommendations posted here as a start: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Costochondritis. There is also something called Tietze Symdrme that seems to fit some of the symptoms others cited in addition to the what I have. Finally, there is Pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma which is pretty scarey. I hope everyone finds a cure for their ailment. God bless.
I to have experienced this same problem as most.  Hard lump under breast near Bra line.  I finally had this checked out a few weeks ago and sure enough was caused by my sports bra.  The tenderness is being caused by caffiene.  Needless to say I had great news from the results of my first Mamogram (mammogram).  So getting it checked out should be priority, it certainly has given me piece of mind.  Best wishes and health to all!
I have a similar issue. I have a lump that isn't hard under my left breast but I've never had a lump or tumor removed so I don't know what could have caused it. Any ideas??
Okay but I'm sorry - this always happens on here when someone asks a question - Someone will post a question and then 50 people with OMG I HAVE THE SAME THING WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS................ just that fact alone that all these people have the "same" thing probably means it isn't something serious....it's probaby extra tissue or muscle or something - also - ummm go to your doctor - I work in an ER and every invidual case is different.  You have to look at it from all angles...what meds is this person on..have they been ill recently - is there pain vs no pain ..male or female...past medical history...trauma...are there any other symptoms....this is why we can't give advice over the phone..it's almost impossible...we don't have x-ray vision nor can we see what cells are doing if there is an xray...it's just ridiculous.  The is part of the reason why insurance is so high - people go and make extensive (gp/ct/mri/xray/biopsy) appointment which cost thousands of dollars for their....1 out of 600 swollen lymph nodes or something they have had their entire lives.  Now understand there are instances where it really IS something but that still doesn't justify endless appointments...and hypothetically - if everyone on this thread has cancer...um...why are you waiting for someone else to figure out that is what they have?  Go to the freaking doctor and I'll try to keep affording my insurance....so that on the freak chance I have cancer and have to go in (God forbid because I never ever ever go in) - I won't have to pay as much.
hey everyone,
I am 20 and I have had a very large lump on my ribs under my left breast for years. It has been at least 5 years since I first noticed it. It is pretty big now, bigger than a gold ball. My brother calls it my "one ab." it looks like one of my abs is just enlarged. I don't know what it is. It is comforting to know that I am not alone. Mine doesn't hurt or anything and it stays in the same place and doesn't really feel very hard. For a while I just thought that it was just a random big fat clump or something. Recently I started thinking about it more and wondering if it is something more serious. I am going to ask my doctor about it next time I go. I will tell you all what she says about it.
Hi, I wish you all well. I have not written on here for over a month. To the woman who is ranting its ok everyone here is frustrated. Although you are right . One people write on this site never to return with information they have found out. Or two Listen to only one Doctor.
In my case I have tried to continue to keep writing and go to different Doctors. So there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself about your lumps. Do they hurt? How much pain do they cause. Do they stop your every day life. Is is getting bigger. ect.. What ethnic background are you . Yes this is important. In my case I had a problem with my Bile ducts enlarging , Usually this happen to Asian woman or to little Children . I am neither. After 2.5 years of searching , trying I finally got a surgeon that read all of my reports and put the puzzle together. He saved my live!!! I am now laying here in bed after a surgery I had about 3 weeks ago and will take about 6 more months to heal but I am at a friends where I am blessed to have someone help me recover. So if you have had Mri , CT Scan Look at them read them see if anything keeps showing up as a might be even if the doctors are not. because It just might be a might be. If you feel in your heart your doctor or any doctor is wrong ITS YOUR BODY, say something they have a body too. Go or do what you need to do. Sounds easy NO. I am a deaf single disabled person , who someone just may of given me a chance at a normal life all because I had some lump on my rib. You are welcome to email me. Julie
I have the same thing as you all have described. Just wondering if the ladies on this post wears under wire bra's?
I too have have a lump under my left breast and I have had this for a while. I think its from my underwire bra.  I don't feel like its anything but I may get it checked out. I think its strange so many people have the same problem.  I wonder why its just on one side?
Toni, I hope you don't reccommend that all of the patients that you see to do nothing and nott to worry about it.  I, too, have that big mass in and under my left breast.  It is large, about 5 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches wide.  It goes above and below the breast chest line.  It is tender to the touch and causes discomfort when I lay on it.  It is  somewhat soft with a definite ridge on both the top and the bottom.  I have had it for about 4 months.  I saw my primary care physician who sent me to have my regular mammogram 2 days ago.  This showed nothing but normal tissue.  I then had an ultrasound because I have the large mass.  This also showed normal tissue. I spoke with the Radiologist right after these procedures.  She said perhaps it could be scar tissue.  I do have a history of a large benign tumor 14 years ago in almost the exact same spot.  It seems unusual that the scar tissue would develop for so many years.  I do not know what it is, but I see my PCP on Monday.  I am concerned.  I am a 61 year old retired RN.  I never came across anything like this in my practice.  I am eager to see what my PCP does or doesn't do next.  I will follow up here after I see my doctor.
I have a lump on my rib under my left breast and I went today for a mammogram and sonogram.  It is tender whenever I mash on it, I have firbrocystic breasts also.  My doctor didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about.  I will repost my results when I get them.  For many years I wore underwire bra's and recently found out I was wearing the wrong size bra (got fitted properly).  I somehow feel that I damaged this area either through the kind of bra's that I wore or trauma.
I have the same "lump" about 5 inches long, 1 inch wide on rib under left breast.  Showed Doc a year ago and she said its normal to have one side larger  LOL! Whatever!  Well, a year later its bigger and I have dull pain, It flairs up after eating a big meal or SUGAR!  I wear an underwire, but somehow don't think that caused it.  I have been diagnosed with Colitis, which is INFLAMMATION of the colon.  So makes sense it could be inflammation in another part of the body. Im taking a natural "cure" product for autoimmune disease.  It says that all these "diseases" we are all getting are actually symptoms of the master disease "autoimmunity".  I'm giving that 3 months to see what it does.  Its called Digestacure. We have to take our health into our own hands.  God bless and I would love to hear follow ups from all of you.  (I'm going to do a C scan or something this week)
I am a 24 year old male. I recently discovered a "lump" underneath my left breast. It is located between my breast and my first abdomen muscle. I realized that I have seen it before. I believe that it goes away and comes back at random. It appears as if part of my left breast muscle has detached and slid down, because the left breast appears to be just a bit smaller than the right breast. The lump is hard, bone-like, and about the size of a quarter.  I worked out on my pull-up bar about 48 hours ago, and it may be a torn muscle. However, I am worried because I have had pain in that spot in the past. The pain occurs randomly about once per year. It is a very sharp pain that occurs directly under the lump area, but I don't think I've ever experienced the pain while the lump was present. The pain is so severe that it makes deep breathing impossible. I am going to the free student health center to have it checked out, as I have no health insurance. I will post a follow-up. I thank everyone for sharing their information. I feel better knowing that most doctors don't feel like these cases are particularly harmful.
I keep searching for an answer for my 5 years old daughter who have the same hard bone below her left breast, i noticed it 2 months ago when she got home from school, i saw a bruise when i change her shirt, i ask her what happen and she didnt answer me clearly. i thought its just a trauma maybe she hit or bump herself at school. i waited and it took 2 months now i noticed the hard bone is still there. tom well see a doctor to see her and have an x-ray. i will update you what will be the result. im worried coz she's only 5 years old.
i have the lump right now and my doctors dont know what it is. I never had a tumor and dont have one...so if any one knows what it is can u plz reply
I'm a 24 year old female. my boyfriend had a lump on the crease of his leg and pelvis. we're both a bit worried but jokingly he asked me if i wanted a lump too. i said sure. that same night, i felt a sharp pain on my rib under my left breast and said "i didn't mean it, i swear!" it was a soft lump that hurt like a bruise. it felt mushy like a vein but stays as a compacted ball in one place, but i can shift it from side to side. it been a week since i discovered it and has decreased in size significantly but is still there. it began at the size of about a nickel and now it's pea sized. my boyfriend went to a doctor for his and it turned out to be an inflamed lymph node which has since gone away. i plan on a doctor visit but since i have to return anyways for my Lyme disease, i figure I'll ask about it then. i find it fascinating that so many have a related problem.  also, people say they feel tired? i do as well, and experience a constant headache, though i blame the Lyme for such symptoms. I'd love to know what people find out from their doctors... for some reason doctors lack the knowledge i wish them to have.
Hi , I am 27 years old and remember as far as me being 6 years old when I found my lump starting at the rib cage from the side it almost looks as if I am sucking in my stomach on my left side , but that is not the case ,First initial dr told me at age 8 they gave me an x-ray ? no bones were broken , next dr at age 12 told me it was a "fatty tissue"   I had my first child at 17 and 2 others came along there after not untill I had my 3rd child They told me it was infact "Breast tissue ". which now scares me since CANCER runs in my family and I had recieved a mamogram (mammogram) 1 year ago and recieved a letetr telling me I need a second one due to a lump in my rigth breast that at first they said was normal , everyone else seems to all be int he same boat and I think as much as u complain having or not having pain The DR. just needs to run a PET scan and check for the obvioos which is CANcer.
Hello , i've just this minute got back from the doc. complaining of the same problem. Last summer a small lump appeared under my breast on the left side like so manny of you seem to have. I thought it was a big insect bite, but months later the lump was still there but not at all painful and i assumed it was fatty tissue. Last tues however it started to swell and get very tender, Saw the doc this morning and he immediately recognised it as a cyst which had become infected, said he sees it quite a lot and was nothing to worry about. On the spot he injected it with anaesthetic , lanced it, drained it and whatever else he had to do, couple of paper stiches etc. Forgot to mention that i live in france which has a superb heath system that deal with things extremely efficently. Wish everyone the best of luck and hope your problem is as easy to deal with as mine was.
I wonder if you ever found out what the diagnosis was. My symptoms are quite similar, except that the "lump" is UNDERNEATH my ribcage, not on top. The best way I can describe at least part of the pain is like I imagine a 3 or 4 day old knife wound that has become deeply infected (My C-section incision became infected, and it feels similar to that) would feel like. There is a cyclical (about the 14th and 25th of each month) component to it getting worse, though it is always there. It is also worse late in the day, best early in the morning (after sleeping). at times there is a twisting, tearing component to the pain. Fatigue while I'm active is not too bad, but if I sit down to relax, I can't stay awake for more than about 15 min. Intermittent low-grade fever. Moderate exercise helps, though not as much as it used to. Vigorous (sprint type) exercise makes it worse. In fact, it was 2 days after this type of exercise that I went to the emergency room because the "lump" pushing out my Left ribcage (in line with my nipple, under my breast) first became noticeable, and I was dizzy, as well.

I have had a CAT scan, an ultrasound, and both upper and lower endoscopy, as well as a traditional x-ray. I have been told it is everything from contortionists to irritable bowl syndrome. I have an BSRN (Bachelors of Science in Nursing), but due to Post Concussive Syndrome and "Fibromyalgia"(in quotations because most of my Fibro symptoms disappeared when I eliminated beef, pork, chicken and garlic), I am currently disabled. I have brought myself back from being almost completely bedridden with excruciating pain and fatigue and on multiple meds, through diet (eliminating  multiple foods I was allergic to/intolerant of), exercise (minimum of every two days), myofascial release, and targeted supplementation and only one med I am weaning off of, to being able to volunteer a few days a week and walk/hike multiple miles.
I know (98% sure) that the current "diagnoses" are not correct. The physical therapist I work with (incredibly gifted with GENTLE myofascial release) believes, from active trigger points and symptoms, that my spleen and lymph nodes are involved (oh, yeah...my under arm and neck lymph nodes become tender and swollen, especially on that left side), but I can't seem to get either my GP or my Gastroenterologist to investigate that. I have been looking for another GP, but as I'm on Medicare, finding a competent doc in this state is almost impossible.

I haven't yet read all the way to the end of this thread, and I'm still hoping that people have gotten an accurate diagnosis, but you (julie) were closest in symptoms , so I thought I'd check with you first!
I hope you are now well!
Hi, ive just come back from doctors because i have a small lump under left breast near the rib cage. Also i have a swelling and fatty lumps under right breast. Both side are where the bra line is. Dr said the lump under left breast is just a fat lump. Under the right breast is fatty tissue and slighty swollen. Both are caused in hes opinion are from wearing a bra thats too tight and under wired. I must admit ive always worn underwire bra and the bra i have been wearing has been very tight. My daugher had the same problem a couple of years back. So ladies please check your bra. Under wire bras can cause a lot of damage. Lumps and tissue damage. Ive now decided to go bra free.
I'm 25years old.I've had the same problem for about a month, a pea size lump under my left breast and when i touch it or lay on my front it does hurt, like a bruise. I am seeing the doctor tommorrow 7/01/2011.

Jen
Bolton, UK
I searched painful burning lump on rib in Google and was surprised to see you have just what I have. It is seriously right under the left breast on the rib and sometimes I dont feel it. Other times, like tonight it is burning very badly and hurts like heck. I brought it up to the doctor and have had that area x ray'd but they never find anything. It seems most commonly to be inflamed fatty tissue from what I have read here. I hope thats all it is.
I have had pains under my lower left breast once every few months, and the pain is unbearable even though it only comes a few times a year. But now a lump has formed I have noticed, I am going to go get it checked but Im worried the doctor will say its nothing. That concerns me because what if It is something. Does anybody know any places exactly where to go to get it checked? Or if something common that it could be? Its probably the size of a kidney bean. I am 18, I do not go out a lot anymore so I dont really know. I used to think it was just inner chest pain but now I am concerned. If anyone can help thanks so much!
My 72 year old mother has been complaining about pain at her right side for several months now.  All symptoms (gassy, nausea, pain, shortness of breath) seemed to lead to gall bladder.  Well ... she had that removed and 5 weeks later she is still taking painkillers.  We went to the doctor's yesterday regarding results of an extensive ultra sound and another chest xray -- last chest xray was March and things were fine (with the exception of her severe case of COPD).  Doctor advises there is a nodule on the 7th rib.  Bone scan about to be done on Monday followed by a CT scan (initiated by the gall bladder surgeon) within the next couple of weeks.  Will keep positive about this ... but we are scared.  I lost my step father to lung cancer 10 years ago and it haunts me to this day.  My sister is a RN and we have not discussed yesterday's findings in any detail yet.  We are too scared to talk about it, but I assure you we are demanding answers.  That is my suggestion to you ... be persistent and don't give up.  NO ONE should be suffering any intolerable pain without knowing what it is and being medicated for it.  I am bookmarking this page and I will add to it upon receiving more results from the bone scan and CT scan as she gets them. -- Jumac
My mother had a CT Scan and went for a bone scan today.  Upon getting her prescription refilled her doctor told her they are going to set her up with a biopsy and they do not know what the nodule is for sure.  The "C" word did get used, but he said that they do not know anything for sure and need to do a biopsy.  Please pray for her and her health ....
Heyyy guyss. I alsoo gt a lump under my left breast. I was freaking owt so gt it checked owt, she told me that it was nothing but a cyst and not to worry. I could get it removed buh apparently it will cause me irritation for the rest of my life. Just to be on the safe side am going to get a mammogram done because i can feel it getting bigger and it starts to hurt to. Sorry for the long message its just that ive been freaking owt and am only 19 :(
ive had 2 twin tumers removed from my left breast when i was 15 and now im 18 and  have a lump on the top area of my rib idk what it is but im hoping the 2 arent connected, so to everyone having the same problem just relax stressing about it wont help im hoping to get it checked out soon so if anyone knows anything before hand let me know
this is so weird to hear everyone with similar problems! I'm 21, female, and have had a hard lump underneath my left breast for about 3months now. I think its a bit different to what people have described because my lump is about the size of my finger and runs diagonally across my ribs (instead of being horizontal across one of them). I went to my GP a few weeks ago because the lump was causing my chest to feel uncomfortable, like something was out of place, i can't lift anything heavy or sit still for too long without it really hurting. I get out of breath really easily now and it hurts to take deep breaths and makes me feel sick. My GP said she'd never seen anything like it before, but told me it was probably muscle inflammation, so told me to take ibruprofen. i did that, but it hasn't made any difference. It got so bad today that i went to a&e, the doctors felt it was there, said they didn't know what it was, but thought it wasn't enough of an emergency so sent me home! Now back to the GP, really worried because it feels like something is pushing my ribcage out of place, does anyone else have this feeling? please let me know any suggestions of what it could be!
****DIAGNOSIS****!!

Read this: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/costochondritis
I have had a hard lump on the left rib under my breast for 13 years. It started when I was thirteen and started my period. it started out just bothering me when i wear a bra. Then at night when I sleep then, all the time it bothers me. It is now the size of a small lemon. the last time i went to the doctor about it he sent me in for an xray. this was 3 years ago. since i had no insurance he told me he couldn't tell me the results since it would be a pre existing condition. he suggested an mri. with no insurance i cannot afford an mri. it started as the size of a grape 3 years ago and it has definitely grown. i'm very worried with all the history of cancer in my family, but i am afraid to have my fears confirmed. the first doctor i went to said i must have fractured my ribs when i was younger but i would think i would remember something like that. i wasn't in sports and wasn't heavily active. now i have a cough that just wont go away i have had it for a few months now................someone tell me what to do please!
I have just noticed a swelling under my left breast on my ribs (left side). For a while now I have noticed that it feels strange, almost wrong across and under my ribs (both sides) when I lie on my back and sides. strange that everyone has a lump or swelling in the same place. Not sure if it is connected in any way but for about 2 years my left knee has been swollen. Had an anthroscopy and the doctors and surgeons said it was all healthy tissue. Wish we could have a difinitive answer!
I am 57 and a week ago i noticed this almond shaped lump with medium hardness under my left breast. i went to my holistic Dr. and she gave me a iodine solution to put on it twice a day and i also take lots of supplements. Virginia Braggs with Braggs Vinegar said to never wear a wired bra. They are not healthy and cause lots of problems. At home i stopped wearing one. we also should wear as much cotton clothes as possible to absorb toxins our bodies release. Do skin brushing and toxin baths.. Go Organic as much as you can afford... They are spraying chemicals on our foods and washing them with vinegar and water helps but won't get it all off. Alcohol causes breast cancer in women. i am trying to reduce mine with supplements recommened by a man who cured himself of cancer. Ask God to guide you to make the right decision. This is to wierd that so many are having the same symptom in the left side.
thanks for your advice. we all needed to hear that.
I went for a well women check up almost four years ago.A lump was discovered in my right breast which I could not feel myself.Mammogram/ultrasound both normal,I was told it was glandular tissue.I was 47 at the time.Many months later, I could feel this lump myself while having a shower, I went to my GP and was referred to a breast consultant who diagnosed it as a bone.It got bigger I got referred again to another consultant, yet again I was told it was a bone.Three years later I paid to see another consultant,he said it was not a bone, but a hard area in my breast.Abnormal tissue was discovered on an ultrasound but a core biopsy proved negative.I had another ultrasound last summer, because the lump is hard and I have constant discomfort.The scan was normal, so I went to a Chiropractor, who thought it may be a lymph node. Since the scan, I have had discomfort/pain when sitting/bending in my ribs, right under my left breast, on the bra line.I can't wear a bra anymore or lay on my right side or even touch the area in the shower.I am so worried incase the biopsy could have been wrong.I have lost weight and have constant night/day sweats and just don't feel well.I have had no blood tests.I live in the UK and our health care system stinks.What should I do?
I also have a lump as you described. Mine is just left of the sternum laying along and seemingly attached to a rib bone near the bottom of my left breast. It really ruins the symmetry and I would love to have it removed for cosmetic reasons, but none of the 3 doctors i have shown it to have advised that. They say it is a lipoma, but i do wonder sometimes(breast cancer runs in my family); especially after reading the post of the woman who had the same thing plus another lump and both were diagnosed as cancerous....eventually.   (I wonder if her lumps were sensitive or not?)    I'm pretty health conscious and hardly ever wear a bra let alone an underwire bra. What is the state of your lump now? - after the iodine, vinegar,etc
oops! Forgot to add that I'm 55, I noticed the lump 5 years ago and it is not at all painful, almost no sensitivity to pressure touch.
I read through these posts a few weeks ago when I noticed the small lump below my breast that has been there for about year, started hurting and increased in size dramatically.  It started out the size of a BB and it's became the about the size of a half dollar coin.  Everyone said they would repost when they found out what was going on in each situation.  I didn't read anybody's repost because I couldn't find them.  I decided I would let everyone know what I had to go through.  My first appointment was 3 days ago.  The doctor poked around at it, said it was cellulitus and prescribed me some agressive antibiotics and said she wanted to see me again the next afternoon.  The next day, I went back in and the doctor thought it looked worse so it was decided that it would have to be cut open.  I'm warning everyone, this is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced, this coming from someone who pulled her own tooth.  The doctor couldn't give anything to numb it because the infection was so strong, it wouldn't do any good.  So the doctor cut the area open and sqeezed so many times, I almost passed out from the pain.  Then it was bandaged up and I was sent home with a different, more aggressive antibiotic and told if it didn't look any better in a day, I was to go straight to the ER.  Unfortunately, I think they may have to cut on it again because one area isn't looking any better.  And all this because I am hard headed and didn't want to go the doctor about it when it first started hurting.  
I too found a pea size or larger lump under my right breast just below my bra strap line.  It was tender and sore to the touch.  It sits on top of my rib but is not attached, just kind of floats there.  I went to my doctor today and he thinks it's lipoma. Which basically is a benign cyst or tumor.  Here is a link to help you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoma
My mother died from lymphoma so I was more than a little concerned.
The doctor said that it can grow and shrink and may even go away. Because it is located just below my bra line it gets rubbed and irritated causing the soreness.  Removing it may be just as bad as having it because the scare tissue left behind can become irritated and sore as well. So, he said, unless it gets to where it really becomes too disruptive for me or uncomfortable, it's probably best to just watch it over the next 6 months.  I hope this helps someone.
I HAVE READ ALMOST HALF OF EVERYONE'S COMMENTS NEVER WAS ABLE TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS COULD BE......... MY MOM HAS THIS SAME PROBLEM U ALL HAVE AND ME BEING WORRIED THINKING THE WORSE BEINGS THIS IS AROUND THE BREAST AREA ......CALLED TODAY AND HAD AN EMERGENCY VISIT TO THE DR. ..........WE GET THERE THE DR. LOOKS AT HER AND SAYS THIS IS CALLED SHINGLES U GET THIS WITHOUT A RASH OR ANY NASTY BUMPS AND CAN ATTACK THE NERVOUS SYSTEM AND CAUSES U REALLY AWFUL PAIN LIKE MY MOM DESCRIBES IT ..... FEELS LIKE UR BEING SAWED IN  HALF ....... IT CAN COME FROM BEING IN ALOT OF STRESS WHICH SHE HAS BEEN TAKING CARE OF OTHERS AND PLUS DEALING WITH HER TRUCK BEING FIXED ...... OR IF U HAVE BEEN AROUND SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD CHICKEN POX AND U HAVE ALREADY HAD THEM IT CAN COME BACK AS THE SHINGLES ...... U HAVE TO BE CAREFUL BEING AROUND LIL ONES IF U BREAK OUT WITH THE RASH AND THEY BREAK OPEN...... THE LIL ONES CAN GET CHICKEN POX FROM THIS ....... U DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE  THE RASH AND RED INFLAMMATION ....... MY MOM GOT A 2ND OPINION CAUSE SHE DIDNT WANT TO BELIEVE THIS IS WHAT SHE HAD....... SO GUYS IF U HAVE THIS PLEASE GO GET THE MEDS TO CLEAR THIS UP AND HELP WITH THE PAIN ..... THEY ALSO HAVE A SHINGLES SHOT AFTER U NO LONGER HAVE IT .... I HOPE EVERYONE GETS BETTER I KNOW HOW MY MOM FEELS AND WOULDNT WANT NOONE ELSE TO GO TRU THIS ............ HUGS TO ALL
I have a rly painful lump that I thought was in my lower left breast but when I went to the hospital for a kidney infection. They checked it and said it was more on my rib. From then it feels like o bursted and now there are little lumps everywhere in the same area and 2 times more painful. Can barely wear a bra and lose a day of sleep because of it. And doesn't help I have a crazy 2 yr.old who is attatched to my hip and loves to play rough and almost never misses hitting me in the chest... Help!
I have the same fatty tumor, a dr. told me about 1 1/2 years ago.  Mine is about 4 inches long and only some discomfort if any.  I have another Dr. and want to see what he says and maybe have an untrasound, will that show what it is?  I am also do for my mammo, but have had it since my last mammo, it is definately below the left breast.  Will probably go to thisDr. and see what he says, 2 opinions are always better than one.
ummm i am 14 years old and after readin these comments or most there is sooo many i am flipping out!!! but the thing i noticed is that there was no advice on what 2 do or what it is.... i havn't told my parents yet bc i dont know if is serious or not, but it is a hard lump under my left breast it doesnt hurt but i compared it 2 the other side and its definatly bigger... i am scared and dont know what 2 doo pleaaassseee help :s
signed a very scared teen,,,
This is crazy! I have a lot of your symptoms! I have what it seems little lumps under my right breast. Had a mammogram and ultrasound, everything ok. Still feel pain, it can be really painful. The pain irradiates to my back and arm. I will continue to look for answers.
Sorry, i meant to say in my left side, not my right. Spanish is my first language and I got confused.
most of these lumps are a lipoma. harmless. I stopped wearing a bra for awhile and now the lump has vanished. underwire bras cause lots of lumps in the breast.
I discovered a lump under left breast in July (female) right on chest wall, had MRI scan in September which showed a Lipoma, about size of a plum,  harmless but uncomfortable due to location - had it removed yesterday under local anisthetic (ouch) will be sent for biopsy but surgeon 100% sure just a Lipoma (fatty lump).

Hazel (39 yrs)
hope the biposy was negative.
It is now almost Christmas ... my mother passed on September 30th and my life is forever changed.  The "nodule" turned out to be a 3x9 cm lesion, secondary cancer ON HER BACK RIBS!!  It was not her gallbladder (though they removed it any way).  She felt the sensation to the front.  My mother passed away upon completing 5 bouts of radiation to the site and 1 round of chemo (treating for an unknown primary and likely a lung cancer that wasn't showing up yet).  She aspirated while in hospital and after 2 months of fighting the hospital (who just wrote her off when I admitted her for malnourishment and dehydration) we lost the battle that we were actually feeling we were winning.  We never knew where her primary cancer was, though we tested everywhere but the colon.  Unknown primary oncologist was certain, due to the cancer strain, that it was not in the colon and likely lung.  We fought so hard ... questioning things that they were doing that they shouldn't have done, and questioning things that they weren't doing and should have done ... brutal ... the healthcare system.  Advocate for your loved ones ... don't give up ... my sisters and I tried very hard for many, many weeks.  We were there for her because she didn't want to give up and she wanted to live.   I love you Mom and I miss you terribly.  Don't give up and insist on timely care for unknown ailments.
-- Jumac
Went to doctor for same thing. Lump left Rib just below the breast.D oc says not Breast but, set me up with a Surgeon immediatley to have it removed. Says it is probably a lipoma but only way to rule out bone sarcoma (tumor) is to take it out. Plus it hurts like hates if you palpate it.
i have the same things your discribing..wondering if you found out what you had?
im 16 and ive just noticed a pimple looking lump, it is red around it and hurts when you touch it. ive been really tired lately and have been getting headache's on and off. there are so many comments that sound similar to my symptoms..just wondering if any of these symptoms sound like your's and what the outcome was:) cheers.and hope everyone will be ok xx
just thought id let you know!
it ended up being a boil!
soooooooooo greatful that it wasnt anything like bad ''cancer'' and hope that everyone else is getting the good news!
Hello, I see your post is from 2008, did you ever find out cause of your ailments?  I hope your are okay and you found a remedy.
I have very simular issue. I've been told I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis of the ribcage.  Even with this, I still believe there is something else not right. Why do I have lumps and bumps which are so painful! My blood test resently shows I'm Enimic and have inflamation (inflammation). I too have history of cancer in my family. , so I'm am concerned.
As a physician I would like to make a few suggestions.  First of all, any mass involving the breast needs to be further evaluated with either a mammogram or an ultrasound.  That includes the underarms area as it contains breast tissue also known as tail of Spence.  
Second of all, if the mass is nontender, smooth, mobile it is most likely either a lymph node (depending on location such as underarm, clavicular, etc), or lipoma which is a benign fatty growth.  The only way to determine the diagnosis for sure is to do a fine needle biopsy, and that decision will depend on your provider's suspicion level based on the location and presentation of the mass.   Therefore I would recommend you evaluate all suspicious masses with your physician, who will decide whether further work up is needed on individual bases.  The reassuring factor is that most of these masses do come out to be benign.  But instead of following up on threats from other peoples cases, do go and see your own doctor.
Just as a follow up, the previous threat was referring to masses NOT on the actual breast tissue, but rather "over the rib" as was the initial post.  The differential diagnosis for actual breast mass is much larger, and these masses do need to be taken very seriously.  
Wow.  I am experiencing the exact same thing.  I don't recall injurying myself in order for my lower left ribcage to hurt.  I am so scared it is the big CA or maybe something worse.  On top of all of that, I am a nurse and never experienced this before.  Nursing school and life teaches you how to become a nurse but not a patient.  I am very aftraid.  If anyone have any anyput, I am all ears.
I am experiecing the very same thing.  If you have insight about it please share.  I am so afraid.
I can relate to the exact same thing as we speak.  I pray it is not cancer.  I am so afraid.
I have the same issue und er me left breast and armpit. Sometimes it's irritated and a little swollen. It is almost a achy feeling but occasionally it is a sharp pain. When it's around the time of my menstrual cycle I acts up worse. The strange tight feeling sometimes goes all the way down my left side near the abdomen area and my shoulder blade. I'm 23 and terrified of doctors. Is really like to know to results from your doctors visit. I know I should go I'm just terrified.
I have all of these symptoms as well, except my lump is on my side about 2 inches from my left breast on my rib.  I have dull pain on my left side starting from my neck, shoulder and breast area and have noticed that I have had an upset stomach for the past couple of months with loose bowel movements daily.  I am an ex-smoker and I am TERRIFIED I have lung cancer, how stupid could I have been to be a smoker.  I am 35 and have two girls ages 2 and 5 and am so scared I cry myself to sleep that I have caused this myself, guilt is eating me alive.  Our symptoms seem to be similar to lymphoma, but now that I have read Jumac67`s post my fears have intensified.  I have a doctors appointment on Thursday and to be quite honest I am terrified and am scared to hear what it is or could be.
I would be too, omg i freak out about it all the time, but the doctor really scares me.
I am 41 and having pain and numbness On My left side every since i had a lump under My left breast also My leg is numb and painful. But My Husband taking me to The doctor tomorrow but i am nerves! Some one please tell me something asap! Thank u
Hi you posted "My husband has a lump on his ribs about three inches long. It is just below the left breast. It is tender to the touch and when he stretches his left arm up it causes him pain. He has a doctor appointment on Thursday.  I just hate that every time you find something like that you have to be scared to death of what it is.  Hope it's nothing and can then we can breathe again. "

Did he find out what he had? I have the same symptoms and i have a dr apt tomorrow,  can you reply to me so I have a better understanding of what to ask the dr

thanks

-Javier
Hi I just wanted to tell you some details cause your the first person with the exact same symptoms as me. My ribs have been hurting for a while now. Its uncomfortable to drive, its difficult to breathe and my ribs are tender around the area where i recently discovered a lump. Its a hard lump but if I feel around I get minor movement, also if you push there area where the lump is my ribs poke in and out.My back hurts in the exact same area as well. What struck a chord with me on your comment was your skin. My skin hurts and is tender to touch. If I bump into something its way more painful then it should be. Even being lightly touched the wrong way hurts. I noticed your comment was posted in 2008 and I am just curious if you have had any further results on whats going on. I need answers and anything would help.
Hi, it sounds like you have fibrocystic breast changes, which is painful but not dangerous it's very common 50-60% of women have it, basically you'll feel lumpiness in your breasts and pain mainly before your period.
I found a lump under my left breast. close to my lower rib  Had a ultasound.  Doctors was not sure what it was.  The radiologist used a guided ultasound and it was a fluid filled cyst, but after he was finished i still feel some like before,i told him.  Well any way i go back next week to see the breast doctor again. well i pulled out my cd of my lung xray last year and can see the area in concerned. i am surprised the radiologist that read my xray did not see it. Let you know when i find more out
I have exactly this, I went to see my GP and he was 99.9% sure it was a cyst, and unsure if it was even in my breast tissue. I have a checkup and a scan at the breast clinic tomorrow morning and I will post back with what they say. The chance of malignancy in a woman my age, 26, is incredably rare, and my GP was certain as you can be in medicine that it was nothing sinister. He said they may needle it in the clinic to draw the cyst fluid off to make sure it is not an abscess or filled with any bugs. They may on the o ther hand leave it alone, as it has shrunk in size considerably since I saw my GP which is consistant with cysts, they can appear and disappear very quickly and form anywhere in the body, anywhere on the skin and on any organ.
Well I have been told by the consultant that there is 'nothing there', and if there was a small cyst it was nowhere near my breast tissue. I think this is a seperate issue non related to the breast. Have any of you been evaluated for a condition called costrocondritis? It is a swelling of the cartelege which sits in between your ribs. It could also be fat necrosis, caused by a blunt force trauma to the area, specially if you are a bit overweight with more fat around the chest. Fat Necrosis can also just 'happen' with no recallable cause.

Lipoma is a benign fatty tumor which is formed when a bunch of lipids (fat cells) decide to stick to each other. These can form anywhere on the body, and are common on the chest, arms and stomach area.

I don't think this is actually a breast condition, once you have been checked by a breast consultant, if you are still worried, ask your GP or primary care doctor to refer you to see a skin & muscle specialist, who can have a look at whether or not this is relarted to fat problems, lipoma, or even spare skin if you have lost a lot of weight quickly.

Another common 'condition' is 'supermammory' breasts. This happens when breast tissue forms outside of the normal area, such as on your sturnum, in your armpit (always check here when performing your self check, as your breast has a tail which goes up toward your axilla (armpit) and feel for any swollen lymph nodes under your arms as well. With a supermammory breast, you can have just the tissue, or the tissue plus a nipple, anywhere on your body! It forms in utero (before you were born and inside your mother's womb) and some say it is caused by your mother's estrogen.

This condition is benign, but it is not yet known if breast cancer can form in a supermammory breast, so until we know for sure, if you do have this condition, check your extra breast & nipple just as you would your usual two on your chest.

A skin callus is where something rubs the skin repeatedly (like the bottom of your feet) and caused a hard layer of dead skin cells to form. A callus can be caused by friction from your clothes even, so wearing an underwire bra that does not fit correctly could cause a callus where the bone cuts into your skin, around your breast or axilla area.

You must always get ANY new lumps & bumps checked out, even if they are not in your breast it is important, because quite a few lumps, even though cancer is rare, can contain cancer or pus, a build up of pus under pressure (abscess) can be pretty painful and even dangerous if it ruptures into the body and the bacteria get into your blood and head up to your brain or heart, causing endocarditis or a brain infection. Abscesses need draining, so if your lump throbs, stings and swells up with a bright red 'head' or a white head on it, it is most likely an abscess and you need to seek medical attention to get it drained, flushed and dressed, it is likely you will also be prescribed an antibiotic to clear any remaining germs from your system.

Please get all these lumps and bumps checked, there is nothing to fear or be embarrassed about, your GP will see about 10 boobs per day of all shapes and sizes, and the same number of vaginas, abscesses, crusty ears and itchy anuses, so don't fret, we are all the same! NOTHING phases a doctor, they would have seen cases far worse than yours.

Hi!
Im from estonia and dont speak english very well, so excuse my mistakes. I just wanted to tell my story because i had same problems like most of you have and it was very hard to find something from internet about it. Maybe someone need this info in future.
About month ago i found small hard lump under my right breast. it was painless and hard but movable. Ofcourse i was in panic after i found it. After self examination i found swollen lymphnode under my armpit as well. So i was even more in panic.
I went to the docter who made bloodtest because of swollen node and it was normal. Today i had ultrasound because of the lump under breast. Doctor didnt find anything maligant, this lump was just littlebit swollen milk duct. He suggest me not to wear too tight bras and said its quite ordinary problem. And lymphnode was ok also :)

take care yourself! all of you! and if you find something go to docter. Its very frustraiting to wait tests and the results but after it you are happy that you made them :)
hi, we had a similar case.. and am planning to have a check up this sept 8... i pray this is nothing bad at all...
Hello. I see that you posted your post in 2008 but i hope you will answer me. Did you ever found out what was that lump on you ribs? Im asking because i also have a hard lump on my right 2 ribs, one is above my breast and another one in my breast but also attached to my rib. And before i noticed it i also have problem with getting sick before or after i eat and dr. found a H-Pylori bacteria also like you have. I want to sleep alot. Please let me know what your doctor found this lump is! (sorry for any spelling mistakes, my english not so good)  
You have been misdiagnosed.  It isn't an ulcer
Im 17 and my left rib side under the breast it slightly bigger than the other side and it seems to be a solid lump which I'm guessing may be fat however there is a small lump that I can move around with my fingers, it doesn't hurt but is uncomfortable. I have an appointment next week but I was just wondering whether anyone had updates on theirs as the majority of the cases stated seem alike to mine?
I also had a lump on my rib no test would show any thing but it was causing a lot of pain I was finally sent to a surgeon and he removed a tumor off my 12th rib. It was a fatty tumor but know I have a large bulge just down below my right breast above where the tumor was removed I can't sleep at night when I lat on that side kit feels like I am on a baseball and the whole area around the whole rib cage hurts and there are ore lumps so here I go again with test. Please have your's checked out just to mark sure
Hey everybody i have a knot under my left breast and got very worried and went to the doctor and they did a x-ray because the doctor said it felt like my rib was swelled x-ray was fine so they done a ct-scan and i got the results today and i have inflamed rib which is called Costochondritis
Medicine (medical treatment) is more of an art than a science.  Doctors are humans/mortal (just like everyone else).  If you went to 10 different doctors (with the EXACT same symptoms) you may end up with 10 different digagnosis, and 10 different treatment plans.  

There is an old saying that says opinions are like @$$holes (in that everybody has one).  That applies to ALL people (including doctors :-)

Okay, I've got it too. I've had a pain along my 5th left rib, running from mid-breast back and up at the angle of the rib to about mid-side. It doesn't go right around to the spine. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago, after putting some big sheets of heavy masonite on the lounge room wall that I'm renovating. I felt the strain across my upper abdomen at the time because it was really hard to lift them, move them into place, then nail them by myself. Anyway, a few days afterwards I noticed a pain on the left rib, difficult to breathe and cough; sneezing is a nightmare. I've done a bit of anatomy, so thought it was possibly a strained muscle between or along the ribs. Looked it up and expected the symptoms to go away in a couple of weeks. Now, when I lay down at night, I can feel a hard lump on the 5th rib at about mid-side or just to the front of it. Yes, it is along the exact line of the bra wire (that some have mentioned in previous posts) and wearing one sometimes is very painful. But the pain is worse at night when lying down. The lump is on the rib or underneath it. It's not in the breast tissue. The pain runs along the outside of the rib from the side, then goes underneath it into the upper abdomen closer to the sternum. You know how it's natural to rub the muscle when you've strained it to relieve the pain? It's painful and tender to touch the side of the rib, but you can't 'touch the pain' along the front of the rib, which makes me think it's a muscle that attaches itself to the side of the rib, then moves into the abdomen. The lump that I've noticed now could be an inflammation and swelling where the muscle joins the rib at the side. I've got a feeling that's what it is. Mine also gets worse after sitting at the computer for long periods, as others have said. I think that's because there is a muscle from the shoulder that joins the 5th rib at the same place. I usually sit with my left elbow on the armrest of the chair or desk to prop my chin, which is a bad habit and posture. But I think this also exacerbates the pain and aggravates the torn muscle and ligament along the rib. Continuing to life heavy things, like you do with renovating and child care, repeatedly strains the rib muscle so it's not getting a chance to heal. That's why the pain is continuing for longer than the usual 2-6 weeks. I hope that's the answer. I really don't want to go down the road of endless doctor and hospital visits for the next few years. Hope that helps. Google some anatomy pics of the rib muscles and you'll see what I'm saying.
Have had this lump about a month mine is very noticed u can tell the difference from one side to the other very painful and ive been sick on stomach too lost about 20 pds  in a month hurts to lift anything
I'm still here. The lump has gone. I'm sure it was a sprained muscle from lifting that masonite onto the wall and nailing it. Then resting my left elbow on the arm of the chair pulled it further, as the collar bone muscle joins the rib at the same point and stretched the muscle out of place further. Thought I'd follow up  FYI.
I experience having that lump you guys are trying to explain.... i got a 2 lump on my left breast, and it hurts when im tryig to feel it... its just last week.. but now its already gone.. i think its just because of my monthly period.. so some of you guys who are experiencing this kind of lump, you guys shouldnt worry that much.!:) godbless guys...
I am having the same issues and very painful under the left breast never had before with the large lump/ridge area, there is a small ridge/lump under the right but no where near like the left. When I asked my Dr about it...she said it was from wearing an under wire bra (of which I have worn all my life and have never had a problem before!) but I wonder do any of you on here wear an Under Wire Bra???
I am having this same lump between my breast on the ribs, i had breast cancer 2010  and had the left breast removed and it is under that breast, it burns when i eat sometimes and it feels hard and a bit uncomfortable. I am 4o now and had a baby last December. I will go and see the doctor soon.
I have a very large 5inch long by 1 inch wide very painful lump on my right side feels as though it my be on a rib starts just at my breast tissue and curves around to my back waiting for ct scan has anyone heard of this before
I have a lump under my left breast, and pain.  It is very small, not even enough to cut for a biopsy.  I am a month away from my 10 years mark as a survivor.  I had inflammatory breast cancer.  I saw the doctor.  She said it is residual pain from the radiation of the cartilage surrounding the ribcage. We are going to do a PET scan to rule out anything.  I have read the above posts and agree with what the doctor and others said:  you know your body, trust your instincts, and be your own advocate.  If you feel that something is amiss than pursue it.  You have the right to copies of your test results.  Read up and study what things mean and what diagnoses mean and go from there after you have some data.  
I to have these same problems...lump on right shoulder tender and size of golf ball , tender and lumpy on lower left side of ribs and also IBS symptoms for last year and if I drink alcohol feel really ill , my right shoulder is very painful and keeps locking and clicking with no strength left in it , can't even pick up full kettle now .....waiting for hospital appointment to come through .