Late period and brown discharge but no blood
As of today (July 24th) My period is 20 days late. For the last few days (about 4-5) I have been having a dark brown discharge, sometimes gooey looking other times more thick and paste like. My last period was only 2 days and very light. Other then that they have been pretty regular the last 5-6 months.  

This kind of menstartion is normal for me as I have polycystic ovarian syndrome but the discharge is a new thing. I'm not having any period symptoms either. what could this mean?

I would also like to add that I have not been sexually active since before my last period that I mentioned.  
PCOS is one of the causes of delayed menstrual periods and in your case, it can be causing the delaying of cycle.
Poly cystic ovarian syndrome can be treated in different ways. One of the most effective treatments is use of contraceptive pills or progesterone pills. It can also be treated surgically and this procedure is known as drilling. Try losing weight as it helps a lot to normalize menstruation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.