Late recanalization. Failed vasectomy.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Late recanalization. Failed vasectomy.

It's been a while since anyone has posted any fresh stories about pregnancies occurring after vasectomies were done (after the SA's where clear - past the "20 ejaculations" window period) (I have done alot of research and I know all about the 1:2000 etc chance of failure and so on.. although I have read of alot more and we have 3 friends that have had failures after the "window period")

My hubby (35) had a vasectomy in Nov 2008.

What I wan't to know is if anyone has had any experience with late recanilization of the cut ends of the vas 1-3 years after their procedures. My hubby had alot of pain in the first few months after sex. We are 99% sure that the cut ends of the right side have reattached, you can feel them on both ends of the lump of scar tissue that was formed at the cut site.

I am secretly hoping for a miracle.. any other ladies out there in the same boat? every month is another month spent obsessivly symptom checking.. its driving me insane.. My husband does not want to take any new S A's
How fortunate/unfortunate for you! I guess it depends on how you look at it! I know how you feel..DH had a vasectomy about 12 years ago (from a previous marriage). I keep hoping that it was a failed vasectomy and that one of these months..surprise! =) I have heard of cases where the woman gets pregnant 10+ years after the vasectomy. It could happen...
Thanks for your comment. It's unfortunate that so many of us ladies are in the same boat. I think vasectomy is a good and very bad thing all the same. My hubby went through with the procedure when his first marriage broke down and he was taken to the cleaners. He vowed never to fall in the same trap again and now, 2 yrs later he is in a better place than ever..But we can't afford the costs/hassels of reversals etc. So I'm hoping for the best.

I am convinced (after reading tooo many stories) of the statistics for failure are nowhere near what they are made out to be. We personally know of 3 couples that have had theirs fail in the last year.. Fingers crossed we are part of those stats to one day :)

Good luck and take care :)
DH thought he was done having children! So he had a vasectomy in his first marriage. Now, it's been 5 years we've been together (married for almost 2) and we want to have children together. We were thinking of IVF, but that's pretty expensive. So we might opt for the reversal. Although, I'm always hoping that one of these months...it will just happen! =) Like you said, there are so many times when it fails. You just never know.

Good Luck to you!
Im in the same boat my husbnad got his done aug 2008 and through the last 2 yrs have had a scare here and there funny enough even though i have said time after time im done( we have 3 boys) i get a bit excitecd and sercertly hope i am i dunno im so confused but now i sit here with no sign of my period and wondering is it possible i  have read so many stories  its scary to think how many get pregnant years after im 27 and wouldnt mind  another baby now but at 50 hmmm.. not so sure lol!, I m glad i found this site cause most of the sites i've been on have older posts, I will be getting a test but prolly wont test till thur but just like u im also going insane with symptoms and thoughts.
I am in the same boat. My husband had a vasectomy 11 years ago after our 3rd child (his 4th) now I would LOVE to have another baby. Sounds crazy since we now have a grandson from his oldest. Every month I hope for a miracle. I personally do not know anyone who has had a failed vasectomy but trying to have some hope. Good luck to all of you wanting a baby.
Vasectomy Failures....  Mine was done 11 1/2 years ago. My partner of 10+ years is now pregnant. Apparently I am once again firing live rounds, which has been confirmed by the lab... I checked the operation notes at my doctors & both vas segments that were removed were confirmed via a lab as the correct tubes at the time. (17mm & 12mm sections) The doctor actually stated at the time that the way this was done ensured that there was 'no way' this would ever reconnect on their own at any time in the future... - Wrong..
My personal opinion is that if those little buggers can connect up on their own with that sort of distance to travel, all a surgeon should have to do is clear the ends of the tubes & pull them close enough together for our bodies to do the rest themselves???
Wow! thanks for that. I am pretty sure that must have come as a massive shock to you! Good luck with the pregnancy. I am sure that you probably did it for a reason in the first place but congrats anyhow. If it's meant to be it will be.

Its true what you say about the body's natural way and I am still convinced that Mother Nature has a baby instore for us. My husband is going for an ultrasound this week to check out the situation and we have already said that if it's really reconnected then it's obviously meant to be. Please wish me luck.. His cut tubes have now completely fused together and there seems to be alot of tissue covering the tubes where they were cut. But only a proper scan and SA will tell. I am going to request a SA just to be sure.

I'll keep you all posted.
Well I had a surprise baby with my husband.  He had a vasectomy 4 years ago!  I delivered our third child, a boy on Sept 3, 2010.  My hubby did go in to get checked and sure enough he had some swimmers.  He had another vasectomy a few months ago, but we are both nervous now! LOL  So you ladies out there, if it's God's will and you are meant to have another precious child, you will.  I thank God every day for my three precious children!
Another women in the same boat...my DH had a vasectomy 13 yrs ago and I am 9 days late. Tests come up neg and I'm now waiting on results of blood tests.

I would like to ask old_bob if he felt any changes when his tubes reconnected as my husband has said that for the past couple of months when he ejaculates it feels different, like more intense. We are hoping his tubes have reconnected?
I know the feeling. I've got 3 wonderful boys. Hubby got a vasectomy in December 2008 after our 3rd. I was fine with it at the time being as I was finishing up my degree. Now, I'd love the chance to have a little girl (even though I'm pretty sure it'd be a boy). Can't really afford a reversal because they can be costly. I've had a month or two where I've felt like complete crap and hope that we lucked out and he's producing swimmers again. I've heard that sometimes it takes years but that it is possible. Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be one of the few couples to have this happen to.
My husband had his vasectomy 19 years ago I got pregnant at 41. It is possible! Confusion and suspicion and little help from medical profession, except a phone number incase I wanted a termination. Looks lie nature has decided for me as I have been bleeding for last 24 hours. We think this may be dueto treatment i have jad previously.So message is don't lose hope all those who want another baby it could well happen  when you are least expecting it keep positive