Lateal Phase Defect - Spotting before period - Spotting 4 dpo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi everyone,
Does anyone out there have a problem with spotting after ovulation? For the past 13 months, I have started spotting before my period is due, 4 days past ovulation. This is pink or brown until I am due on which ranges from 12 to 14 days after ovulation. I am trying to conceive and this seems to be causing a problem. I have had 2 miscarriages both at 5 weeks. I have had every blood test under the sun, scans, examinations, a Laparoscopy and everything has come back fine. I also went on Clomid for 4 months, which sorted it all out, although I got blurred vision and everything then went back to normal after I finished it. All I get from the doctors is, "well the most important thing is you're ovulating". They don't have a clue what to suggest. I feel absolutely fine in myself and am a happy person, but the spotting does get to me, especially as everything about my cycle was perfect before I started trying to conceive. Literally the month I started trying for kids, it all went wrong!!!

Is there anyone out there that has gone through the same thing and got any answers? I would love to know what happen.

Please help!!!
Yes, I had the same problem.  It was my progesterone level.  It was too low.  I would spot about 5 dpo and thus no pregnancy can survive the shedding of the uterine lining.  If you have not had a blood test for progesterone level, have it done.  It could be the solution to your problem.  I wish you the best.
Deb
Deb
Thanks for your reply. I've had my progesterone checked several times and it is absolutely fine. That's what making it so difficult as every test has come back ok, but still at 4dpo I start spotting. It's frustrating!!!
Mel
Thats suspicious.  I'd swear its your progesterone.  Your blood should be drawn approximately 5 days after ovulation to accurately detect your progesterone levels.  It this time frame consistent with when you test?  Maybe their lab values and your body's values are different. Maybe your body produces the "normal" lab levels, but your uterus requires more than their normal level to not shed.  Wow! I wish I can help you more or have a better suggestion.  Maybe the doctor can give you a test and have you on progesterone to see if you'll still spot.  Progesterone for 14 days after ovulation can't hurt at all.   Let me know what you think...
Deb
Hi Deb,
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. It is suspicious, I agree, and really annoying now as I have been having tests since Sept last year. I have my progesterone tested at 7dpo, this month it was 65!!! That's interesting you say about my uterus needing more than its normal level, I have just read an article about that and I am thinking the same thing. I don't think my uterus is responding the the levels of progesterone in my blood. The doctors now want to do a hysteroscopy on me in 3 weeks and I've asked for an Endometrial biopsy at the same time. I don't think they will find anything wrong, but the biopsy might flag something up. I didn't know whether to try the progesterone thing before having this operation done or to go ahead with the op first. The doctors don't seem to listen though, it's been hard work!!! If they don't find anything from the operation, then I am just going to be left until next year, when I will be referred to fertility, I can't believe they are just going to leave me!! I've been on a light to medium period since 5dpo this month. I always still get my normal period at 14dpo though every month. It seems to be difficult getting pregnant whilst this bleeding is going on. I got pregnant in May this year after being on clomid and my cycles were perfect at the time, but then lost it at 5 weeks as I started bleeding! It's been difficult finding anyone out there with the same problem!

Thanks for your response. Look forward to hearing back from you. Let me know what you think.
Thanks Mel
Hello, I didn't realize that you had posted a message to me and I neglected to respond.  I am sure you have had the procedures done already, but what I would have suggested in the least invasive and then move on. Progesterone trial for 14 days post ovulation would find answers, i.e. did you spot 5dpo or did you continue spotless until it was time for your period.   The thing about progesterone supplement is that for some women, you do NOT get your period until you stop taking progesterone.  What some doctors suggest is that about 14-18 days post ovulation you take a home pregnancy test and if its negative you'd discontinue progesterone and wait for your period to begin.  if its positive then per your MD's advice you'd continue with progesterone until approximately 3 months gestation to ensure viability of the fetus.  I am curious as to what road you took.  Did you go thru with the procedures and if so, did your situation resolve?  I hope all is well.

Debra  
Hi Debra,

I had the hysteroscopy last Thursday. They said that they had to make a small hole as my uterus is tilted and they couldn't go up the normal way. The only thing they found was at the neck of my womb, there are red patches. They said they couldn't see this causing any problems in getting pregnant, but perhaps it maybe where the bleeding is coming from, although they really weren't too sure. They said it could be getting aggravated by my husbands sperm perhaps.

The funny thing was that this month, for this first month in 16 months, I wasn't bleeding until I had the operation done which was on 9dpo, but that was only because of the op. I haven't gone that long for ages. The only thing we did differently was that we only had sex on day 13 and no other day. Don't know if it's coincidence that I didn't bleed or it I do have a problem with my husbands sperm!!!

Baffled!!! I'm gonna use condoms this month and see what happens!

I always though if you had a reaction to sperm, that you would start bleeding immediately after having sex.

:-)
hey monkeymel, are you still around? let me know....its your friend, Debra