Lately I've been menstruating every other month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am a 41 year-old woman in good health and not overweight. My thyroid function is normal. I went off the pill over a year ago, and it took a good four or five months for my period to return to normal. Lately, I've been getting my period every other month (last two periods). I've read that ovaries take turns ovulating each month, which might imply one of my ovaries isn't functioning properly. What are some of the reason for this? I just got my period today (after about 50 days). The weird thing is that a month ago, when I was supposed to get my period, it did seem like I was ovulating, but the period never came.

I also realize I could be perimenopausal, but no one else in my family ever had this kind of issue at this age (and I've heard that menopause symptoms are somewhat familial).

I do have an appointment to see the doctor next week but am just feeling a bit anxious and am wondering if anyone has some insights.
I am 44 and never was on the pill, no children.  For a couple years now, I also have been experiencing irregular periods - every other month being common.  Also, same as above comments, that sometimes it feels like it should be period time, but did not start.  No other menopause type symptoms such as hot flashes or whatever.

Would appreciate any replies / comments about this?  Thanks.
i know you're not much older than me, but i think if i were 44, i'd be that much more comfortable with the idea that it might be perimenapause than anything else. i'll let you know what i find out when i go to the doctor. are you planning on getting check out too?
by the way, i've never had children either.
I would say in both cases you might be experiencing perimenapause. The best thing to do is have your run some tests. Before I had my hysterectomy, I thought I was starting to go through perimenopause but after being tested, that was not the case. There are many things that can change your cycle such as weight, diet and other things. According to my doctor, you generally don't start the menopause thing until you are in your fifties.
I'm 26 years old and I have never had my periods like I should. I had my first one when I was 16 and didn't have another until I was 19. I got on birth control to help regulate me and it did. My husband and I decided we wanted to try having kids so I stopped the birth control. Once I stopped taking the pill I never had another until I finally went to the Dr. She gave me a pill that I took for 10 days then a few days later I started. Ever since then I have had my period every other month and I go my normal cycle. I have been tested to see if I'm going through premenapause and I am not.