Long, Heavy period... won't stop... help! what do i do??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

i'm 19 years old...i've never been to a gyno... and 2 weeks ago i started my period.. it was really light at first ..but now it's really heavy and won't stop..  i was going to go to my family doctor but i'm leaving tomorrow to go to cancun... should i call my family doctor or go to a woman doc??  does anyone know what this could be? i had my normal period last month that lasted 5 days... should i be as worried as i am??
before i took birthcontrol pills, about your age, my period was very unpredictable. if i was planning a trip somewhere (nervous or anxious) i usually started my period no matter when i had just had one. you should see a gyno anyway at your age and this would be a good reason to go:)
is it ok for it to last this long though?? it seems like it'll never stop
you should call someone whether its the family dr. or a gynocologist. periods can often times last a while, not long, be light, be heavy, skip one, get it early. i believe the age to begin seeing a gyno. is 18 unless there is cause or sexually active. also, since you are going to cancun (i thought today) wouldnt you want to take care of it before you go? plus you'll be worrying on vacation so make a call.
I use Natural Progesterone Cream to help with my menstral cycles. It regulated them and made them more regular. You wont have any side effects at all from it,its all natural. The kind I bought was called Progesta-Care and make sure its NATURAL and at least 20mg per dose.
I am also experiencing a long period. Its lasted 12 days and i started microgynon pill 12 days ago like my doctor told me. However it was finsihing and i've found today that i've strarted again really heavy and very uncomfortable. Im really worried. I feel tired all the time, im constantly in a bad mood and i just want it to go away. Its really getting me down and I have A levels in a few weeks so its a major problem to me. told one of my friends but she thinks its really abnormal. My boyfriends getting frustrated with it as well. Please help me !
Im 12 years old and i started my period 5 monthes ago they have been fine but this time it is REALLY heavy i dnt no wat to do wat can hel it stop ?
hi, I'm 23 years old,married. my period started about almost 3/4 weeks ago.at first it was very light.after a week it was very heavy.till now It is very heavy bleeding.what do I do? I tried to go to a doc. but everywhere I call they can not see me before august. they are booked with other appoinments. my period seems like it will never stop. I know it can be a major problem. I am so scared. please help me.
I HAVE HEAVY & LOND PERIOD FOR 3 WEEKS EACH MONTH, I WENT TO OBY ALREADY, I GOT IUD INSERTED BUT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME SO I REMOVED IT FEW DAYS AGO, BUT I STILL BLEED SO HEAVY AND ALOT, WHAT CAN I DO?
Ok, I have been having these types of irregular periods for 15 years.  It starts normal, doesn't stop then after about 3 weeks it starts to get a lot worse.  Ladies, you need to talk to your family doctor or obgyn because this is  likely a hormonal imbalance. Birth control pills will probably be recommended although they may run other tests to rule out anything more serious.  If you can't get in to see someone right away, try a walk in clinic nearby or someplace with an immediate care, if your insurance covers. Also, if you don't have health insurance many Shopko's have walk in health centers that for $50 you can see a physicial or nurse than can prescribe something to help.
i am 19 years old and have been placed on several different birth control pills to try and lessen the bleeding.  now i am off the pills and shots and for the past couple of years my periods have been super heavy and painful and have large clots (quarter size) most of the time and last anywhere from a month to 4 months or more with only a week or less break in between.  should i be worried??  does anyone know what could be wrong with me?
it's very hard to deal with iv'e been doing it for two years now im 14 about to turn 15 i have never done anything for it except take pain killers u talk to your doctor but u are actually not suppose to get a opiontment with them untill u have had i regularly for two years
I had the depo shot in October 2010 I was spoting while on it.  When I went back to the doc to get the three month shot I desided not two.  I have been bleeding like crazy since January.  went back to the doc he gave my a birth control pill it did not work.  When I went back he gave me a diffrent type of pill still nothing.  My OBGYN suggested Nova Sure to stop the bleeding. As anyone done that?
hi i am 23 years old married  women but I HAVE HEAVY & LONG PERIOD FOR 3 WEEKS EACH MONTH,WHAT CAN I DO?