Lower Right Pelvic Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Lower Right Pelvic Pain

So I have this pain in my lower right pelvic area, where I would think my right ovary is. I was really concerned it  was a cyst that was growing and would burst. The pain radiated to my back and down my leg. My gyno got me in and did a pelvic exam and felt no masses. She did mention a retroverted(sp?) uterus, which I have never been told I had before. Anyway they also did a urinalysis and it came back with positive for white blood cells so she said thats it. Pain can be caused by a UTI in this area? She kind of brushed me off after this. The pain that goes down my back reminds me of the sciatic pain I had while pregnant? Could she have missed something on the ovary or something in the uterus that could be pushing on that sciatic nerve? Or could a UTI really cause pain like this? I am confused and worried that it could still be something on my ovary or a mass somewhere else? I have an appointment with a urologist next week about this UTI but the pain is so annoying. Not bad enough to stop me from doing my everyday tasks but painful enough that it has me constantly worrying. Any thoughts!!??
UTI's can be very painful it can also have became a kidney infection. That would explain the back pain. Did she give you some antibiotics to take for it?  I would not worry about anything until the infection clears. If it clears and you are still having pain I would go get checked by a different doctor. It is evidently a pretty bad one if she wants you to get checked by a urologist. Hope you are pain free soon.

Sissie
She gave me macrobid for it and the first few days I thought I was feeling better but by the 3rd day I was back to feeling bad again. She then wanted me to go on amoxicillin but I have been on that 2x and still have this UTI. So I called a urologist myself and have to wait a week for the appointment. I am worried that it might be a kidney infection now? My only symptoms are pain when my bladder fills and back and pelvic pain. When I look up kidney infection it says chills, nausea, fever, painful urination. I dont have any of these. So confused!!
I am not sure if you have a kidney infection. I do know when I get them my back hurts very very bad. Maybe drinking cranberry juice or cherry juice to help flush out your urinary tract will help along with the medicine. Here is a link that may help. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-infection/DS00593/DSECTION=symptoms  

You do not have to have all of the symptoms for a kidney infection. The worse the infection the worse the symptoms ie vomiting, dehydration. There are also a lot of home remedies you could try. I take 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbs of honey in about 8 ounces of warm water. I drink one in the morning and one at night. It is nasty but it works well for me. Maybe the uti is causing pain on top of some other problem but what ever the case your doctor should be trying harder to get it cleared up. How long have you had it? The best medicine for uti is sulfates. I am allergic and I cant remember what kind my doctor gave me last for one. Usually if I even think I am getting one I drink the vinegar and honey and that takes care of them. Hope you get some relief soon. If it gets too bad go to the er. Best of luck to you.

Sissie
Thank you for the link and suggestions. I am guessing if it is a kidney infection it is not that bad. I am trying to decide if I should take the amoxicillin until I go to the doctor on Wednesday!? If the pain gets any worse I will go to the er but hopefully it does not.

I am not sure how long I have had it. Everything started in October. A culture came back positive for beta strep but it was low. I was treated with amoxicillin. I still wasnt feeling better and saw a new doctor who did a urinalysis and at the office it came back with WBC and he gave me macrobid and then switched it amoxicillin when it came back again for strep b.

The second doctor thought it was a gyno issue and sent me off there. I waited over a month for an appointment and started having pain where I thought my right ovary to be and going to my back. She did a full exam and felt nothing. The tests came back fine but she didn't do an ultrasound which I wish she did. But since my urine came back again with the white blood cells she gave me macrobid again~ and then I told her I was still not feeling better she put me on amoxicillin. Its sitting at the pharamcy because I can't imagine it helping. Just need to get through 5 more days!! Then i'll be at the urologist. I dont know if it has cleared and came back or never went away.
Do continue with the amoxicillin. Any thing is better than nothing. When you go to the doctor see if he will change it to something that works. Obviously what you have been taking is not helping it may just be kicking it enough that the symptoms go away but the bacteria is still there. Then they build back up and your symptoms are back. If you continue to have uti it may be good for you to take cranberry capsules. Hope everything is better soon and the new doctor gets you straightened out.
Thanks!! You are right it has to be better than nothing! I just hate taking all these antibiotics! I am hoping for a cure on wednesday!
Yeah I hope wednesday goes good for you and everything is better soon.

Sissie
I have had this same thing happen to me. I use to get ovarian cyst a lot, and they would often burst. About 2 years ago I started feeling the familiar pain and thought nothing of it. A few days later the pain was still there and going up my back. I had no pain while urinating, but there was a strong oder. I had a UTI a month before that which i thought had cleared up. I was in such horrible pain i went to the ER where they informed me that it was indeed a kidney infection even though i didn't have all the signs.

The best advice I can give you..and sorry im not a doctor just someone who has suffered as well....is that you continue taking your antiobiotics, drink a lot of water, blueberry juice and cranberry juice, and reduce your sugar intake
Thats what mine is like but the pain is not horrible, just a little annoying and not always there. Since the beginning the level of bacteria has always been low so maybe that is why it is not extreme? I don't know. I was sure it was in the kidneys but then the pain sort of subsided!

I have an appointment tomorrow with the Urologist. So we shall see.

What tests did they do to know it was a kidney infection?
They diagnose kidney infections either with urinary test or blood test. Hope things get better after tomorrow and you get some relief.

Best wishes, Sissie
So I went and he doesn't believe strep b causes a uti- he said its usually a skin infection? My office urinalysis came back negative but he also did a clean catch and is sending it out.
He thinks my bladder is just irritated from the UTI and said it can take some time to heal. He put me on toviaz which is a drug for an overactive bladder? My bladder is more painful than overactive? Anway. When he did a pelvic exam it really hurt when he touched my bladder.

He is sending me for a bladder/kidney ultrasound next friday to check on everything and make sure there are no stones.

So still waiting for answers here.
I hope he is right and it is just sore and that there is nothing else wrong. Good luck next week. I hope all goes well.

Sissie
I found your post, i see that it happened 2yrs ago, but I'm having the exact same symptoms! Ours been a few days now. I've also been really tired. What did your urologist say? I don't have insurance, trying to device if i should go to the urgent care or not.
I have the dame symptoms too and am not sure whether or not to go to the doctor. I don't want to take unnecessary antibiotics. If you have gone to the doctor please let me know. I am in a lot of pain, right kidney area, radiating down right let, and I have in the past had lumps that seemed to have gone away but now I am worried they were cysts that burst and I never knew it. The bone of my lower right pelvis is hurting a lot. it is inside and feels like the pain is coming from the bone. Any suggestions?
Cat
Check with your doctors.  I found this link from the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases
Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC)  http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/utiadult/

Also remember to clean from front to back after urinating.  There's a lot of bacteria in the area to the rear.