Lower back pain during menstrual cycle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Lower back pain during menstrual cycle

New to the forum so don't know if this is the right area. Anyways, every menstrual cycle I go through 2 days of intense lower back pain. I'm just curious as to why this happens. Some of the research I found online talks about Dysmenorrhea and that the uterus contracts and presses against the surrounding muscles - but they use that to explain abdominal cramps. I don't get cramps during my period. Just really, really bad back pain. Any explanations on why? I'm just always interested w/ what goes on w/ my body.
I have never had lower back pain with af until last week.  It was the first period after a miscarriage...very heavy, almost no cramps, but a lot of lower back pain....it kind of felt like early labor...I took codeine for it, and went to sleep.
oh yea, try using those thermacare heat wraps. im using one right now and they really help release some tension. they help more then taking advil every 4-6 hours!
hey i also get really bad back pain durin the period. i think it is normal, as i have been having this since forever! lol. im not sure why it is that this happens, but i dont think it is unusual. hope i could be of some help!
I don't know how normal that is - it's actually not entirely "normal" that women experience menstrual cramps, even tho it's common.. if your hormones are in perfect working order, you really shouldn't experience anything before or during your period.

Having said that, back pain during your period can be a big sign of endometriosis - might be worth getting it checked out.
I have been tested for all sorts of gynocological conditions while trying to have a baby and have come up clean every time.  I have abdominal cramps, lower back cramps, and sometimes heavy bleeding during my periods.  I think that these things are normal.  If you are worried about it, I would talk to your doctor about it during your annual visit.
I am actually just like you, i do not get cramps i get back pain. i never really got cramps and i always thought i was lucky till i started getting serious back pain. I dont think its abnormal or anything but i never really asked my doc if it wasn't normal. let me know if u find nething out... take care
I have always had lower back pain as opposed to lower abdominal or pelvic pain.  The Dysmenorrhea that you read about can also refer to lower back pain and cramps.  The cramps/pain are caused by prostuglandins, hormones sent straight from Satan, that reak havoc during your menstrual cycle.  I have two children and while in labor, never once had abdominal pain. Every single one of my contractions were in my lower back!  Interesting, huh?  Anyway, I did read staying really well hydrated is suppose to help.    
i also have very severe back pain and have no idea why and i hope it is not endometriosis and am scared about it i hope it's normal but it is so bad that i can't sit down or stand still nothing helps except walking around helps me take my mind off the pain, i don't want it to be endometriosis because then there is a chance i might not be able to have kids
I had never had painful periods prior to giving birth to my first child.  During labor all the pain was felt in my lower back, no abdominal pain.  Since then every menstrual cycle comes with intense back pain similiar to early labor.  Don't know why this is as I haven't been to the docs as yet, although I do know that your periods can change following childbirth and become stronger/lighter.  I think that maybe some women experience pain in the abdomen and some expeirence pain in the back.
I found this website very interesting. it makes sense! i have HORRIBLE back pain that leaves me bedridden for the first two days of my period and this website seemed to help me understand things more

http://www.cure-back-pain.org/menstrual-back-pain.html
This is my first period after a termination. Bleeding isnt heavy but different. This is the first time I am experiencing sever lover back pains though, I normally get bad cramps but I didnt this time. I had minor cramps right when I was getting my period but they went away shortly after. Are the lower back pains going to replace the cramps since I had the termination? I really hope not because this is extremely discomforting! Thanks
im only 15 and i've always gotten severe cramp and only recently really bad lower back pain as well... im kinda worried is this is normal for teens? cos it totally *****, my friends are fine during theirs and so was my mum...
I get bad twisted back pain, sometimes dull pain all day, sometimes numbing pain. I found if when I feel it starting every month, if I will hit the floor and start doing stretches, especially lay on your back and pull your kness into tummy and gently rock out that lower back, and breathe slowly and deep- it helps ! Keep doing often. Pain can cause the area alot of stress, and it all tightens up. I take over the counter pain reliever too !