Loww ferritin and low saturation - iron deficiency anaemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have been on iron therapy fo 3 months (325 mg ferrous something or other, once a day).  In that time my iron stores (ferritin) levels have not improved.  My saturation has gone down to 13 % and my ferritin stores remain low.  My serum iron went from 15.5 to 9.3.

The iron therapy has made my poo black and rather revolting, which makes me think that mabe I am not absorbing as much iron as I ought from these things.

Is there a more effective way to increase iron stores than taking OTC iron tablets.

Many thanks

I have been on iron supplements for about 2 months and have shown an increase in all my iron related bloodwork.  My pharmacist explained that for the iron supplement to be absorbed properly, you have to take it with acidic food and/or supplements; so taking it with a glass of orange juice or vitamin C supplements are ways to do this.  I would definitely check with your pharmacist and or primary care provider.  I am taking 50mg of "Gentle Iron" by Solgar (it's OTC) daily along with vit. c or orange juice.  My ferritin levels have gone from 2 to12 ng/mL (still low, but improving) & my iron sat levels are 14 %, still low but improving & my serum iron is up from 21 or 22 ug/dl to 55 ug/dl.  I really think you should talk to your health care provider about this, or at least the pharmacist (I think they know more about the meds than the docs do sometimes.)  I went on the OTC supplement instead of a prescription one that my insurance doesn't cover.  Are you being treated for anything else.  Sometimes iron deficiencies can be due to a digestive condition like Celiac's or Crohn's disease which don't allow nutrients to be absorbed properly.  My PCP is suspecting Celiac's disease in my case, but I have other symptoms and deficiecies as well.  Good Luck!

Thank you for your feedback.

I take Ferrogradumet with Vitamin C (an OTC) as recommended by the Haematologist and my GP.  It's awful.

I had hoped that the ferritin levels would be restored to a level sufficient that my GP would agree that I could go on a milder OTC iron therapy.  However, when I see my GP next week I will ask for prescription iron and see if that has any effect.

I do have Crohn's or Coeliac Disease.

I cannot fathom how, after 3 months of iron therapy, my saturation went from 23 % to 13 %; serum iron 15.5 umol/L to 7.3 umol/L (I got it wrong in the first post); and ferritin 23 ug/L to 24 ug/L.

Thank you agaion for your feedback.

tdk451
I meant to say that I DO NOT have Crohn's or Coeliac Disease!!
My little sister had a similar situation as you did. She was diagnosed with having low-iron levels ( low saturation as well) and started taking 325mg iron sulfate once a day and after a couple months it had no effect on her. Then she did a "functional intracellular analysis" to check if all her vitamins are in check. She found out she was deficient in vitamin b12 and started taking supplements for that, after a while her iron levels went up along with the related symptoms of shortness of breath, tiredness, etc. going away with it. My sister is very healthy and eats a variety of nutritional food yet it was surprising she had vitamin b12 defficiency. so don't choose not to do this vitamin test even if you eat well and in a healthy manner because you never know... Good Luck!!
Hi.  Thanks for responding.

My Vitamin B12 levels are really good.

It took almost 10 months of iron therapy to raise my ferritin stores to a reasonable level.  My GP agreed that I could stop; however, he insisted on a test 3 months after stopping the treatment.

The ferritin levels have dropped a bit but not enough to warrant going back onto iron therapy.  It's been four months since I stopped taking the iron supplement; and I am having another lot of blood tests in a couple of months.  Fingers crossed tha the ferritin stores remain at a reasonable level!

Again, thank you for responding and your interesting input.

tdk451