Lump under armpit - serious?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Lump under armpit - serious?

About March of last year, my right arm suddenly and for no apparent reason swelled up about an inch bigger around than my left arm. I was advised to go to straight to the ER, in case of a blood clot. After blood tests, x-rays, and an ultrasound of my arm they told me to go home and if the swelling didn’t go away to visit my family doctor in a week. After a week, I visited my family doctor. He set me up with a MCAT and MRI. Nothing was found. My doctor insisted the swelling would eventually go away. Well after pestering him to keep trying, I felt like he gave up on my situation. In August my arm was still swollen, no bigger – no smaller. I decided to get a second opinion. I visited an internal doctor; he looked over my previous tests and saw nothing unusual. He decided to have another ultrasound done, but this time at a different hospital. This time the nurse found a vascular mass under my armpit. She told me to visit my doctor first thing in the morning. He set me up with a surgeon, and now I’m having this mass removed in two weeks. How fast everything took place after they found the lump frightened me. I am only 21 years old, there is nothing of this nature in my family's history. And I know they won’t know anything until after the surgery and biopsy, but am I looking at something serious here? Should I be preparing myself for the worst? I am a senior undergrad – and I can’t eat, sleep or concentrate long enough to study for any of my classes.
Tags: lump, armpit
Dont be worried about how fast everything has happened - its a good thing.  It means the medical team are taking no chances.  Yes it could be serious.. or it could not be. Worrying about it will not change the outcome regardless, so try to take it one day at a time, and live your life as normally as you can untill you have the results of the biopsy.  Then you can start preparing yourself for the worst if need be, or not, as the case may be :)  The best thing you can do for yourself is to be as healthy as you can be - eat well, gentle exercise, rest (if you can) and if youre a smoker id advise you to give up if you can. Good luck with your surgery.
KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Hollus commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals