MIRENA can it cause odor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

MIRENA can it cause odor?

I am 25 yrs old and never had a child.  I had been on bcpills for years and had to get a Mirena/iud, in september 05 due to having high blood pressure. I am married (so no multiple partners) but recently I have noticed after intercourse I have a discharge w/ bad odor. I have also been having light 2-week periods. I had called my gyno about the odor and got a rx and it went away, and now it has returned. When I 1st got the odor I thought that it could be possibly due to my husband and I having the flu or the 2 week period that I had just got over.  Could any one please help me w/my concern?  I have thought that my husband had cheated and gave me a std but I am unsure.  Please help. thx.
Any odor needs to be evaluated by your gyn. I had mirena for over a year and never had any issues with odor. Generally odor can indicate an infection and with mirena that eneds to be taken very seriously.

Don't do a phone appt, get in to be seen. Ask them to test you for STD's if you are questioning your dh's fidelity. This is something you don't want to gamble with as infections with an iud can impact your future fertility and cause a lot of other problems if left untreated.

Good luck,
Andi
its definitely the EVIL mirena!!! i had the mirena placed after my son was born May/09.  Instantly after the mirena was placed, i started noticing a foul odor.  After 10 months of horrible side effects from Mirena including the odd odor, i finally made the best decision of my life and had it removed.
24 hours later... NO foul odor anymore!!!  Dont listen the the doctors... they will tell you that it has nothing to do with the Mirena.  It does! take it out ASAP!
dont think everyone is cheating, but i do think this mirena is killing us!!! i get the odor and discharge as well.... further more i want it removed asap!!!
I was thinking the same thing. I got Mirena after I had my daughter in December. Went for my 6 week check up and she talked me into getting it. I know it was stupid of me to agree not knowing anything about it. I never get into anything without knowing details. I had to deal with bleeding for about 2 months, afterwards I noticed a strange odor and discharge. I am going back for my next check-up next week and I am going to have it removed.
I had mines placed in June 08 after my 6weeks checkup, I was looking for an effective bc method instead i found a problem. Experiencing the infections and the stomach aches, the ordor, and the long adjusted monthly periods, I am tired. It isnt worth it, all of these discomforts to prevent pregnacy, hell no, am taking it out.
I had my mirena put in on october 18, 2010. Its been a nightmare ever since.iI've had it in place for only 4 weeks -im taking it out on monday. Ive been bleeding/spotting the entire month, backache, bad odour, mood swings..ect...I cant wait for the weekend to be over so that i can have it taken out and i hope everything is good:d
I had the Mirena in for almost 2 years and finally got it taken out a few days ago.  I too was experiencing odor and discharge but haven't really paid much attention since I've gotten it taken out.  

For everyone that HAD Mirena taken out and HAD/HAS the odor, has it gone away?  Also what has the doctor said about it?  Is it cureable?  I am so terrified that I won't have any fertility anymore because of this evil thing I got placed 2 years ago!!!  I'm going back to the doctor Thursday to make sure everything is ok but I want answers NOW!
I also am experiencing Odor/Discharge.

I've had this since December 08.  Since Spring '10 I've been experiencing odor and discharge watery/green discharge.  It smells worse than fish and if I can notice it I know people around me easily can which is very embarrassing.  The toss up, I hate taking the pill and would often forget, I get very heavy uncomfortable menses cycles and with the Mirena I do not.  

What I'm scared, what damage has been done w/ Mirena?  I was just recently laid off from my employer and currently do not have health coverage.  (Very frustrating.)  
I also experienced unusual vaginal discharge and odor; when I returned to my gynecologist, I had to have it removed because it had dislodged.  Because of this, I developed an infection and that was the cause of the odor.  My partner did state that since the Mirena had been inserted, my vagina had a strange odor and since it has been removed, no longer.  However, I have a friend who has used Mirena and she has not experienced this.
MIRENA STINKS&&IT CAUSES UR P*$$Y 2 STINK!
it sounds to me like a BV better known as a bacterial viagnosis you can get them from sleeping with someone who has multiple sex partners or the same thing that causes yeast infections!! its nothing to panic over just go see a doctor
I have had a Mirena for close to 4 years, never had any problems..my bleeding got lighter and lighter, which was great. Until the past month or so when I started having discharge..not a ton but more than is normal for me, as well as an odor that's driving me nuts!  I saw my obgyn thinking BV or wondering if my spouse was cheating and gave me something. I really didn't think it could be the mirena since I've had it so long without problems The obgyn said no infection everything looks normal so I guess I need to attribute it to the IUD. I'm bummed because it's been great till now but this odor has to go! Guess I'm having it removed...I will look into the Cooper one and it's side effects.
I had Marina for two years following my first pregnancy. It took a long time to adjust to and after about two months I did not notice, although I did have to have string trimmed. I had it removed and WAITED two months on purpose and got pregnant right away. Had a healthy pregnancy and baby and went to get the same IUD. The insertion was a breeze and have not noticed it at all since. there is a slight odor but the smell only after intercourse and tissue of vagina is changing every day. I just use it as a reason to take a nice long bath and then am fine until my husband corners me again ;)
Hi, I had the mirena fitted in july 2010 and the last two weeks I have been getting a very bad odor and after sex with my partner the smell has been fishy I went to my GP to have it removed it took two doctors to try and remove it in the end they gave up an told me it had inbeded its self! I then had to go to the hospital that night an have it removed! I am now waiting on my results to see if it has coursed an infection. But I would not advise any one to have it fitted.
I have the same problem the bad odor I'm so tired of it and my doctor said its normal two gurls I work with have same problem and one have the iud in here arm!
I have read all of thes comments and questions, I too have the mirena and got it 3 years ago after i had my son. thinking it would be the easiest to deal with, but ive learned its not the odor, a lil pain in my abdomen and the discharge is emberrasing! Im currently taking a medical assistant class and my teacher told me that it was my mirena and the oder may be the fact that its been inside me and may be pushing itself slowly against the wall, so like when you go to the doctor and they do a yeast infection check they scrap the inside, so it could be doing the same while having sex. If taking it out is my best bet the im going to get it out but i really wish there was another way! IF THERE ARE DOCTORS READING THIS PLEASE GIVE US ANSWERS!
i've had my mirena june of this year would be 5 years i have to get it taking out the reason you are having the odor cause i have the same thing and my doctor told me before i had the IUD put in what it causes. But did you have a period with mirena cause i dont and thats why your having the odor cause your period is gone. Of course all women should know that your period cleanes your out if you dont have one then you get the odor
I have had the mirena for over a yr now and I have had the worst time with it. I had my period for 6months straight and i cramp so badly that it causes me to double over... I also get a odor and thought that it was just me being an over reacter but then my bf said that he could notice it too... The only reason I have kept it in is bc it seems to be the only bc that has actually worked for me :(
I had my mirena removed last year due to foul odor, watery and/or constant brownish discharge, itching...you get my point it was gross. The smell was going through my clothing ACK! THE SMELL DID GO ONCE REMOVED
BUT without it had continuous bleeding problems, so the gynae and I decided to have an ablation plus re-insert the Mirena. Hesitantly, I did have the Mirena put back to help stop the bleeding BUT guess who else came back?! Yep,..el stinko.
I am going back to the gyane, I want it out. It makes me feel undesirable and paranoid. As for my bleeding problems....?!
I have had the mirena for five years now and it has been bad with all the heavy bleading while on my period and sometimes during sex and I also have had discharge and odor but never any pain besides the first couple of weeks after getting it ive been to the er several times been checked for stds and infections and everything came back normal im so ready for this to come out and will never get it again
I too had the nasty brown discharge, itching, burning and HORRIBLE, foul, embarrasing odor!! I must have gone to the gynecologist at least five times over the past year trying to tell them that something was wrong.  My hair even started falling out and still they would tell me that all tests came back negative for BV.  I knew it couldn't be anything else because I had been  celibate for a very long time.  I ever got the Mirena to help with my heavy, painful periods, which it did help, but unfortunately, brought on other nasty symptoms instead.  Finally, after three years of misery, I was finally referred to a specialist in OB/GYN issues. We discussed my issues and I decided to have the stupid, evil Mirena removed!  I am waiting now for biopsy results to see if there was a bacteria growing that only happens with IUD usage.  In the meantime, I have now been suffering with the effects of having the Mirena removed.  I have been experiencing very heavy bleeding, passing huge clots and it's nothing short of a crime scene!  I had to go to the ER and they put me on birth control pills to help slow down the bleeding until I see my doctor again on Monday.  I just wanted all Mirena victims to know you are not imagining things and that having it removed was the best thing I have done for myself this entire year!!!!!  I believe the foul odor was one of the reasons I was remaining celibate and I now have hope that I can get back out there and date with confidence again.  
I am so glad I found this post.  I've had the Mirena for 2.5 months.  I noticed the smell last week. It smells like sour feet.  I even had a dream the other day that someone commented on how they could smell me when they walked past me.  This has to go.... I am making the appointment in the morning.  For now, I am taking my 4th shower the day!
I'm 32 years old. I had Mirena placed back on Feb 2012.  It’s only been 7 months absolutely, no questions ask, I hate it.  At first I was so exacted that I wasn’t going to deal with my period every month, so that was good for me.  But then I started noticing a nasty discharge and foul odor.  I got scare because I didn’t have a partner at the moment so it couldn’t be STD.  So I call my OBGYN, she did some test and I had yeast infection; they prescribe some antibiotic and it when away for a while.  After 2 weeks it came back again, so again I went to the OBGYN and again she did some test, this time I had something called Bacterial Vaginosis, again she gave me antibiotic and it went away.  I couldn’t believe it. In addition to all of that I had have my period for like 2 months none stop, I mention it to the Doc and she said that my body was getting use to the Mirena to give some time. I did, I gave it some time.  After 3 months with Mirena my period had stop completely, but the fishy smell came back and it was getting stronger by the days and on top of that I noticed that I was also gaining weight.  So I call my OBGYN again to tell her my concerns. I told her that I was gaining weight because since Mirena I have gone from 180 to 200, I’m 6’1” so I wasn’t so bad at 180 but 200 lbs I did not like that.  AGAIN she said that Mirena had nothing to do with any of the symptoms I been having.  

Well I think otherwise, 7 months later and 60 lbs more, now I’m at 240 lbs with diet and exercise, I think Mirena has EVERTHING to do with it. Since no matter what I do to get rid off the foul odor and weight, nothing since to be working, not even the 4 showers a day that I had to take because I think everyone else around me can smell the foul odor, it soooooo embarrassing . I had it with this Mirena, I’m calling next week to have it remove and finish with this nightmare.  And if the Doc asks what’s my reason to have it remove, I swear I will punch her in her face.
I am working in the Medical field and I also had the Mirena . Needless to say 4 years later I had it taking out .. I have had back pain , Oder discharge , bleeding on and of for the last year associated with pain all the time .
I would never recommend Mirena to anyone !
hahaha you post is defiantly the reason i will be getting my mirena removed. The only reason i got mirena was to stop the horrible cramps. Even with the mirena i would still double over from painful cramp, though less frequent. (btw im totally cramping right now  and commenting from my kindle fire because i cant sit on and comment on my computer)

Mirena was nice for a while but between the weight gain, foul smell ( that one boyfriend has left me for, and scarred mysexlife and confidence) mood swings, back pains, green/brown discharge, and headaches i think i will take my period back and deal with the monthly bleeding and cramping like every woman before me. Thank you very much.

It may sound odd but i feel people will like me more with me natural period, i wont stink or complain about douching to cure my low self esteem. I will also be skinny again like my pre mirena pictures.

honestly. i miss my period and hate that it replaced by this horrible mirena. if i could snatch it out myself ( strings too short) i would!

I have never owned so many feminine products IN MY LIFE and i thank GOD its not me.

my 3 mirena years of 5 are up.  

Thank you ladies,  for helping me realize it wasnt me, frick, im crying with joy.
this is great!
All,

Thank you ladies sooooo much for this. I have been searching for answers on what is going on with this white, creamy dishcharge that smells like something sour, not really fishy, sour. a few weeks ago I just had the full blown out cultural test done to rule out everything. Out of all the STDs and the bacteria's, I only had one overgrowth of a certain type of bacteria..which I took an antibiotic for and that is gone. Now I am still left with a odor from this discharge, very evident with sex with my husband. This is not cool and the only foreign thing left is this Mirena. I am scheduling to have it removed asap!!!

Thank You all for these posts... Mirena needs to post this on their site as possible side affects. But then again, why would they, they are trying to make money! Geeze!!
I know the original post happened a long time ago but I have to tell my Mirena story just in case it helps someone. I had my MIrena inserted in December 09. At the beginning there was spotting and a little more than average discharge but not to bad. After about 6 months my body adjusted a little better and my periods became non-existant which was great. About six months ago I started noticing this really bad odor coming from that area of my body. I kept thinking…OMG!!!! This smell cannot be coming from me. I tried douching which would help for a few days, Rephresh vaginal gel which would help but again, only for a few days. Not having insurance I didn’t want to go to the doctor. I just kept hoping the smell would disappear. I have never ever in my life had an odor down there and I am 34. I was showering 2 to 3 times a day. I would go to the restroom and when finished wash my hands two or three times and no matter what I did I could still smell it. I was convinced everyone else could smell it too. My sex life became extinct because it was so embarassing. My poor boyfriend. Finally I decided this thing has got to go. After going to the doctor and being sent to have an ultrasound to ensure it was still in there because my doctor couldn’t see the strings (I knew for a fact it was in there because I still stunk), the doctor called me and said that it was in there, she knew where it was located and to make an appointment to come in and have it removed. I made the appointment ASAP, went in and she removed it with some difficulty due to the strings migrating but one way or another it was coming out. It has been 2 weeks since it was removed and guess what!!!! NO MORE ODOR!!!! COMPLETELY GONE!!!!! My doctor didn’t give me any medication or anything. Once Mirena was gone so was the odor within 48 hours!!! In the time I had Mirena I have lost half of my hair (thank God I had tons of it to start with) and I have abnormal cells on my cervix which I now have to have an exam every six months. This is in addition to dealing with the stench for the last 6 months. I will never EVER recommend Mirena to any woman. It may be ok or even great in the beginning but once that evil little IUD turns on you it can make your life miserable. Ladies if any of you have an odor please have it removed. Do not torture yourselves with this embarassing issue. I hope this helps anyone who reads this. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to have it taken out, Having that thing removed is one of the smartest things I have ever done!!!!
I am new to this site, I decided to join to get some input from others on their experience with this little device. Background I am 26, A fairly active person, I gave natural birth to a 9.5lbs baby boy in 2010. No complications what so ever! I had a horribly time finding a birth control that worked for me after I stopped breastfeeding. Tried all different kinds of pills. I realized I don't do well with hormones( turns me into a monster) thus trying all different kinds of low dose pills. Which brings me to the IUD. My doctor said she thinks it would fit my lifestyle and my hormones so I gave it a go.
I had it inserted 8 months ago. All seem to being going well, Lighter periods here and there, wasn't that crazy around my period anymore blah blah blah. I have never had a history with infection, BV,Yeast, nothing. Got an ovarian cyst that popped on it's own in April(yay), I have gain alot of weight that I can't seem to shed! And that's not even the worst part. About a month ago and this is going to sound gross, I started to notice a weird smell in that area. Not so much on the outside but when I inserted a tampon and removed it(Gross)! I went to the doctor and everything came back normal. That's right everything normal. So I started eating more greek yogurt to balance out bacteria and that seem to help a bit. But here we are again, My dude said I was crazy and then we had sex and he said" ah I smell it, IT SMELLS LIKE POWERBAIT!!!!" Freaking gross, Now I don't even want him to come near me! So my Question to all of you is, Have you experienced this while using the IUD!!! Please give me your input, I am planning to have it removed cause at this point I would rather lose all my hair with the shot then to smell!! (And I really like my hair, Been growing it since birth) lol
I got the skyla (smaller version of the mirena) around the end of May of this year, 2013. The skyla just got approved back in Febuary of 2013. It's for younger women (I'm 17) who have not had children.  And just two days ago, I have been experiencing this foul odor everybody has been describing. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get it checked out. But I haven't had any other problems........
I have had the Mirena for 6 weeks, and have had the foul odour ever since - ladies as you well know this is embarrassing.  Because not only does it smell, my boyfriend says my taste has also changed.  He is being a good sport about it (for now) but I am mortified at this change.  I used to only smell like salt water...and now it's like I smell like dirty socks in curry powder!!!
The cramping is getting worse not better over this time period, the only nice thing about the device is the lighter periods (I was having the evil blood clots common with 40 somethings).  I'm opting to get this damn thing out and go for full on sterilization -- these added hormones, pain and this awful smell is not worth it.
I had mine put in like 8 months ago.  My period was lighter,but lasted two weeks....and the WORST part is the SMELL!!   It is disgusting, embarrassing and just completely a hit to my confidence because I feel like I smell for the two weeks or my irregular period!   I'm so happy that I now know this is very common. I'm calling tomorrow to get it removed ASAP!!!  Thank you for your post!!!
Thank God for this post and the brave woman who first posed the question. I too am experiencing a foul odor (it seriously smells like garbage or like something crawled up in there and died) since having the Mirena IUD inserted about two years ago. At first, I thought I was crazy and that it was all in my head, but this proves there's a connection. I have also experienced weight gain, acne, terrible cramping, lower back pain, abdominal pain and even had an ovarian cyst that eventually burst on it's own -- very painful. I am calling my doctor first thing in the morning and making an appointment to have this thing removed.
Has anyone other thanThesnarkyone noticed that their boyfriends have said their taste has changed? I don't (yet! Thank god!) have the bad odour, but I have noticed that I smell different...and my boyfriend I'm sure has noticed.Sour is the best way I can describe it, almost metallic,but definitely sour. I know it may be too much information, but he always told me that I tasted sweet, and now I'm so ashamed and paranoid about my boyfriend doing anything to me because I'm not myself. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, did anyone else start retaining water like crazy when their period was due (period hasn't come yet)? I would be immensely grateful for any help!
I thought I was CRAZY!!  Ive only had mirena for 3months n I wish I could rip it out already. My doctor said this is a good 1st attempt at helping with my HORRIBLE periods due to large fibroids. My options were bc even though I had a tubal almost 4 yrs ago, ablasion or partial hysterectomy. Now im trying to decide which is worst; the disgusting odor that never goes away, the brown discharge all month long & the lack of sex drive or passing tennis ball size clots and bleeding through my clothes each month.
I have had the Mirena since about 2000 continuously. I knew I didn't like the smell, but I was so young, and have had it for so long I didn't even know what was normal. A friend was considering using the Mirena and asked about it smelling. That's when I decided to search and I found all of your posts. I think I'll have it removed and see how that goes. Thank you all for being so honest.
I know this was written last year but SO SO glad to read things on this forum. I thought I was going NUTS! I had the Mirena put in jut over a month ago and have not stopped bleeding for one day!!!!!! I am experiencing everything you mentioned, especially with the tampon. I went straight back to the Drs and he gave me metrondizole vaginal gel (not sure if correct spelling) to use over 5 days. I still have not used this because I have not stopped bleeding and it said not to use when bleeding. My problem was only when I removed the tampon, I could smell this odor and I HATE IT!!!!! I can honestly say that 'my flower" ;) has never been stinky and even when I would touch myself to remove the tampon, I could smell it on my hands also...GROSS! I have made an appt to get it removed as I also gained weight and unable to shed the extra pounds...talk about feeling insecure and uncomfortable with ones body. I am a single mother of 4 and have a great chance of having another date with a guy that I like and enjoy being with and I'll be damned if I have this going on for fear of him running away...I will NEVER do this again!!
Also forgot to mention about how much weight I gained - 10lbs so far, I am puffy and clothes wont fit!!! PLUS losing hair...I dont have much to begin with and now its falling out. Called and will get it removed next week!!
I've had it for 8 years now.   I love it.  I have not had a period since I got it.   Yes I do experience an odor, especially after sex        No weight gain for me.   It is definitely worth it I think.