Manipulate Period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Manipulate Period?

Ok so August 1 st we are traveling to the shore. We will be driving 12 hours to the beach. Anyway on the day we are to leave I am to get my period. I am not on any BC pills but do have samples and a prescription from my Gyno. I just am worried about the side effects. Anyway I was thinking of taking them to skip that period but do not know the best way to go about it. Should I just start taking the day my period begins( which is what the doctor said) or can I wait until about a week or two before my period to come to start and hopefully still skip it without having the bc in my system for too long? I know it says you can start BC anyday if you know for sure you are not pregnant.

Or if anyone knows a proven natural method to bring on a period early or whatever I am up for that too. I am to get this months period in 3-5 days.

Thanks!!  =)
you need to start them on the first day of your next period. If you start a pill pack in the middle of your cycle, you may end up bleeding daily for the rest of that pack and maybe another pack or two.  Please listen to your doctor and take it the way it was prescribed...otherwise they would have told you to start it whenever you felt like it!
I was a little worried about starting mid cycle but I am also worried about how its going to effect my body. I figured the less time in my body the less effects. It Lo-estrin 24 or something like that!?
I know the last time I was BC I started the sunday after the first day of my period. Whats the difference? Different doctors? This doctor who prescribed them to me also wants me to come back. But before when I was BC with another doc they said I had to come every six months b/c of the pill.

Anyway I just really dont want to get my period the day we are to get in the car for 12 hours with 2 kids!

You start them on the first day of your period.  Unfortunately, though, it's too late for you to take them in order for you to skip your period.  You have to be on BC for at least a few months before you can actually skip your period.
Why is that?  
Because you need to know how your body is going to react to taking the pill to begin with.  There's a lot of side effects with BCP.  You don't want to add complications by skipping a period.  Also, according to my doctor, it takes a few months for the hormones to build up in you body in order to stop it.  I went to the doctor (knowing this) a year before I got married and asked to go on BC so I wouldn't have my period when during the wedding or on my honeymoon.  The first question she asked was when I was getting married.  I told her not for another year and she said "Good.  You have no idea how many women come in here asking to get on BC to stop their period because of a trip they are taking the following month.  It takes longer to kick in than that."  It's not a miracle worker.

Also, read up on the affects of skipping a period.  There's a lot of warnings to doing it depending on your health (i.e. blood pressure, breakthrough bleeding, etc).
How long is it ok to manipulate your period for?? What if you want to get it back to the cycle that you had while on the pill before you manipulated it?