Mastitis- 26 years old, reoccuring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Mastitis- 26 years old, reoccuring

I am starting to research mastitiss more now...I am 26 years old, have never had a child, not a smoker, no history of cancer and I am just getting over my 5th mastitis since June 2010.  This infection is completely debilitating (as you all know) and I need answers. All the doctors I go to continue to simply treat the infection when it occurs and they are not helping figure out why this continues to happen to me. I have had lumps found in my breast that specialists believe are dense tissue. I've had two ultrasounds done (one just to see the "lumps" and one when my mastitis was in full form this weekend) as well as two biopsies. I should know more about the biopy results this week but am reaching out to the MedHelp community for some suggestions as well.  I think the mastitis have something to do with my hormones and menstrual cycle... Had my first infection the first month I received the Depoprovera shot (birth control) June 2010, my second infection that July 2010,  the third that following January. I went off the shot this past July 2012 thinking that it may be responsible for the mastitiss and got my fourth mastitis in Sepember of 2012.  I went on new birth control in October 2012 and just got my 5th mastitis this past Friday, January 11, 2013.  All of my mastitis happen during the first week of the month- typically around the time I was supposed to get my period. You do not get your period on the depo shot so it was hard to tell if that was really "my time of month".  

I've read about granulomatous mastitis- not sure that is me. Sounds like women with GM ALWAYS have the mastitis, it never goes away and meds dont work? on the right antibiotics, mine goes away.  Does this exclude me from the GM diagnosis?

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Has anyone gone to any other sort of specialist other than breast surgeons/women's health?

I beg of you, I need help! These infections are completly debilitating.  

I am in the Boston area if anyone can recommend a doctor or facility.

Thanks!
Anna
Tags: mastitis, Breast, hormones, hormonesen's health, Infection, Infectious Disease, 26 years old
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Anna,
How are you? How was the biopsy result? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through for the past months. Breast infections or mastitis are usually caused by a common bacteria found on normal skin that enter through a break or crack in the skin. Recurring mastitis are often associated with breastfeeding but it can also be due to hormone issues. There are many factors to consider such as inadequate treatment of previous mastitis, nipple problems, your family history, diet and your overall health. It is important to determine the underlying cause for proper management. Additional diagnostic tests may need to be done also. Take care and do keep us posted.