Mastitis- reoccuring, need help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Mastitis- reoccuring, need help!

I am starting to research mastitiss more now...I am 26 years old, have never had a child, not a smoker, no history of cancer and I am just getting over my 5th mastitis since June 2010.  This infection is completely debilitating (as you all know) and I need answers. All the doctors I go to continue to simply treat the infection when it occurs and they are not helping figure out why this continues to happen to me. I have had lumps found in my breast that specialists believe are dense tissue. I've had two ultrasounds done (one just to see the "lumps" and one when my mastitis was in full form this weekend) as well as two biopsies. I should know more about the biopy results this week but am reaching out to the MedHelp community for some suggestions as well.  I think the mastitis have something to do with my hormones and menstrual cycle... Had my first infection the first month I received the Depoprovera shot (birth control) June 2010, my second infection that July 2010,  the third that following January. I went off the shot this past July 2012 thinking that it may be responsible for the mastitiss and got my fourth mastitis in Sepember of 2012.  I went on new birth control in October 2012 and just got my 5th mastitis this past Friday, January 11, 2013.  All of my mastitis happen during the first week of the month- typically around the time I was supposed to get my period. You do not get your period on the depo shot so it was hard to tell if that was really "my time of month".  

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Has anyone gone to any other sort of specialist other than breast surgeons/women's health?

I beg of you, I need help! These infections are completly debilitating.  

I am in the Boston area if anyone can recommend a doctor or facility.

Thanks!
Anna
It can be due to periductal mastitis.  Periductal mastitis occurs when the ducts under the nipple become inflamed and infected. It is a benign condition (not cancer), which can affect women of all ages but is more common in younger women. If your periductal mastitis doesn’t clear up after taking antibiotics or if it comes back, you may need to have an operation to remove the affected duct or ducts.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.