Menstrual cups and IUD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Menstrual cups and IUD

Greetings,

I have been a user of paragard IUD for a year already. I am 19 years old and childless. I have heard about menstrual cups such as diva cup, mooncup, keeper, lunette, etc. and I just wanted to know if it will be safe to use with my IUD. I have heard several rumors that a menstrual cup can pull out the IUD causing it to expel. Is this true? My IUD strings were also left quite long, will it be helpful to trim them or just leave them since they tuck into cervical opening anyway. I am tired of using pads and tampons and my periods have gotten heavier while using the paragard and I was really amazed on the convenience of menstrual cups. I will really appreciate if you will respond to my inquiry. Thank you.
I don't think that it will pull out the iud just as the tampon does not. However, I would change it often to avoid an infection because you are more prone to them with the iud. Call your dr if you want to be sure. Best wishes to you.
hi i am 21 and with one kid (4 year old ) thinking on gettin the iud i just wanted to know if the procedure is painless or is it. does it feel funny having it inside or do you not feel it at all.  i have heard that it works, also does it bother you when you are intimate with others?????