Menstruation/Ovulation and sleep disturbances
Since about the age of 22, I have experienced major sleep problems, always during mestruation and then again during ovulation.  This happens every month.  What's strange is, when most women experience PMS, this is actually a "good" time for me.  It's the only time of the month I feel relaxed, I sleep great, and everything's fine.  Once I get my period, I'm a nervous wreck and I can't sleep for more than 4 hours a night.  It kind of goes away when the period ends and returns again during ovulation, usually days 8-15 of my cycle (middle of cycle.)  What could be going on here?  Something hormonal?  And if so, which hormone is responsible for making me so nervous and sleepless during these 2 times of the month?  It's A LOT worse during ovulation.  This has put me in the doctor's office about 5 times already, and they always send me home with sedatives.  But I KNOW it's because of my cycle, I chart it and everything.  The only time I feel normal is the 10 days before my period starts.  I love those 10 days, I catch up on my sleep and enjoy life again for a little while.  Once I get my period, the nervousness, restlessness, and especially sleeplessness start  all over.  Any advice?  Thanks for any info!
(mmm123)
I should also add that I am 33 now and have never been pregnant (by choice)
You could talk to your doctor about going on the pill (eliminating ovulation, and possibly your period), if you feel that's the problem. You could also ask about starting an antidepressant, since that's the usual treatment for PMDD. Even though that's your "good" period, it would still alleviate the "bad" periods :-)
I just got off the pill in March and I have noticed that when I ovulate I don't sleep well either.  It's enough to go back on the pill after I get pregnant and give birth for sure.
i just have cramps all night and because i move in my sleep blood gets all over my pad. no matter how big it is. im really conserned
I have also experienced menstrual related sleep disorders for many years now.
I became increasingly aware of this recently. I noticeably do not sleep at least 5 days before my menses, very little if any during and about 3 days after.
I read somewhere that is caused by a drop in the hormone progesterone which is a sleep-inducing hormone. I have been on the pill for years and it clearly makes no difference to this situation.
Perhaps meds which increase the level of progesterone might help?