Merina IUD and Cramps
I am a 37 y/o woman who has had no children.  I had the Merina IUD inserted a week ago and I am still experiencing heavy cramping and spotting.  I have been told by my OB/GYN that the Merina is safe for women who have never had a child and that these symptoms will subside. Does anyone out there use the Merina who has not had children?  If so, what are your experiences with it?
Never used an IUD myself I have heard that the cramping is experienced by many women at the start, My sister in law has one and has had no complaints at all but she does have one child.
I have Mirena...But my doctor told me that Mirena can only be used in women who have had 1 or more child. ...I'm sure your dr. knows what they are doing , though...I agree with the other poster, it probabily will be soar a little bit longer than normal...due to the fact that nothing down there has ever been stretched, dialated or thinned out.
My understanding is that in women who have never had children, the cramping with be a little worse in the beginning because you have never had the stretching that occurs when you have kids. Take some motrin, hopefully that will help. In time it should subside. Just to double check, have you had any unusual pain, fever, or discharge since getting it inserted? If you answer yes to any of these, I would suggest getting checked out ASAP as in rare instances you can develop an infection upon insertion.

If the answer is no, than most likely it is just stretching your "virgin" uterus : )

Good luck, I loved my Mirena!!

Andi
Thank you all for your posts.  They were very helpful.
They have recently changed their mind on using Mirena on women who have never had children. Dh worked with a woman a year ago who had it put in and she had never had any either. I thought it was odd, but did some reading on it. Pretty interesting, I am glad to see it is being used more often and by different women. It is a fantastic form of birthcontrol, provided you fit into the low risk group.

Again, if you don't have any s/s of infection, take some motrin or tylenol, maybe a warm bath and things should resolve soon enough.

Andi
I HAVE THE MERINA, IT'S NOW BEEN FOUR DAYS SINCE THE INSERTION THAT WAS NOT SO PAINFUL. JUST A FEW CRAMPS! BUT i HAVE HAD NO BLEEDING WHAT SOEVER. IS THAT NORMAL? HOWEVER I'M CRAMPING LIKE CRAZY, I PAST A BIG BLOOD CLOT.  BUT SO FAR I THINK I'M GOING TO LOVE IT  
I had it inserted 7 weeks ago and am getting ot out this week. My blood pressure has spiked considerably, I am having palpitations, I have gained 10 lbs and my hair is beginning to fall out. My doctor said "those aren't typical side effects, maybe they're due to something else." My PCP did blood work, stress test and nothing else going on so I am getting rid of the IUD and GYN too. Not the panacea they make it out to be.,
I had my Mirena inserted over 2 weeks ago. I have never had children either and I have had cramps every day since I had it put in. The day I had it inserted was TERRIBLE.. I threw up from the pain after it was inserted and had to take prescription pain medicine and it didn't even touch my pain.. even now, Ibuprofen isn't helping my cramps.. the only good thing about it is my sex drive has been really high since the insertion. How long should I cramp? I read somewhere it could take months to completely subside..
I have never had children and have had the Merena IUD for over a  year. I fainted from the pain when it was inserted and I almost had it removed after the first month because of the terrible cramping, but my sister (she has it also) told me to stick it out a couple of more weeks.  My cramps lasted about 45-60 days, but it was well worth the wait.  The cramps aren't causing damage, which is what I was worried about, and after the first couple of months I have never been happier with a birth control.  I don't have a period anymore, which my doctor said was normal, and I haven't seen the weight gain and mood swings I have experienced with other contraceptives.   I recommend giving it at LEAST two months before having it removed! I absolutely love it!
i have had bleeding for 3 months and have bad cramps and
blood clots and stopped bleeding for 10 days in that 3 months finly stopped 1 day well should i say more im waiting 1 more mounth then ???????????
my oldest son is 20 and my baby is 2.i had my oldest son  the old fashion way..push push push.and my second son was delivered my c-section.I was wondering if they 20 yr gap was like my cervix going back to virgin stage?
i had my mirena inserted on the 4 of sept..i had to go in while still on my cycle..it has been 14 days  i have been bleeding.my cycle usually last between 3-5 days max.is it normal to bleed for awhile when you first get it? i cramped only for the first day and have not cramped again..just continue to bleed..i noticed the flow went from spotting to needing a lightday but its not filling up the pad..just smears and streaks.did anyone experience that problem or and i jumping the gun.
i had mine inserted two years ago . i have 2 children ,and i havent had any problems with it . in the begening i had some bleeding [spots] for 2 months and then after that itstoped and there were no periods untill now .but my concern is [ if i remove the iud how long will it take me to get pregnant?]
I have had two children and when I had my IUD incerted I experienced cramps so bad, they were every bit as bad as labor pain.  I thought I would die.  It was really bad for two days but it got better on the third day.  I was still in pain for about four weeks, but it was more bearable.  Amy
I had my IUD put in on Friday.  The pain was so bad that I had instant diaherra and started pucking while still in the doctor's office.  The nurses had to drive me home.  I have taken 2 advils every 4 hours which has helped with the cramps.  I also have been spotting since I had it in place.  I have never had children and after going through the pain of insertion of the IUD, I don't think that I ever will!  I am going to stick it out for a few months before I decide to have it taken out.
I had my merina put in three months ago and my period has never stopped. I've been bleeding straight since Oct 18th when I had it put in. I had it put in because my cycle was so heavy and were painful. Mind you the pain and cramping are gone, but the bleeding hasn't. I haven't had the weight gain, but have lost weight. I was lucky in that department. I also didn't break out in acne either. It's the constant bleeding and mood swings that are getting to me. Tonight I had a freak out on everyone and I know it's the hormones doing that to me. I'm normally not like this and am usually calm. I went to my doctor last month with the complaints and she told me to stick it out for a few more months. How long does this merina take to stop my cycle altogether? I'm going back to the doctor's on Jan 10th for a repeat pap because abnormal cells were found on my cervix and I'm going to tell them that this merina isn't working as it should.
I had my IUD put in 2 days ago and it is driving me crazy. Im 21 and have never been pregnant and have no plans of ever getting pregnant and this was the next best thing to having my tubes tied. They wont let me do that but im confident that i will never change my mind about children. Ive been on the patch for 3 years and after a while it was just becoming a hassel with worring about it sliding off or sticking to my clothes and i was starting to feel very depressed.
Anyways back to the point.... I know ive only had my IUD for 2 days but the cramping is SOO bad I dont think it purforated my uterus because i can still move but the pain feels like a bad BAD period and I get very bad periods while on the patch. I know i shouldnt give up on it after a week but does the cramping get less ever? Ive been so medicated since i had it put in i thought i was getting better but after not taking anything for 8 hrs the pain so soo bad.... I'm going to try to stick it out for as long as i can without becoming addicted to pain relievers. Plus it cost me $380 and that would be just a waste of money.

Can I have sex after a few days or will that make the cramping even more worse?? Because i want to have sex but im terrified of the pain becoming worse..... Please let me know if you know...
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
wow, I found this forum googling IUD and cramps. I got my three days ago and am still having bad cramps as well.  I agree w/ the poster who said it is more like labor pains then menstrual cramps. ugghh I am so frustrated I tried going for a walk today and the contractions (for lack of a better term) got so bad I had to stop.  And umm, brooklynn86 I had sex last night and I do believe it made my cramping/back pain worse today.?? I wouldn't recommend it until the cramping at least lessens. I have read that it may take up to three months for the cramping to stop.  But, who wants to live like this until it does?
I had Merina put in a month ago, and I found it very painful on the first day, which I guess is normal if you have never given birth (I haven't).  I had really bad cramps for the first week...but now I feel fine and love that I don't have to worry about taking a pill every day!!  I was on birth control pills for the past 3 years and got sick of being worried that I was pregnant every month, since I forgot to take them time-to-time.  I haven't had any other problems with the Merina, which I was scared to have--since most of these discussion boards say horrible things like losing hair, loss of sex drive, weight gain, etc. I've actually lost some weight, which I think is because of not being on the pills for the first time in 3 years.  I guess it's different for everyone, but I would have to say that for me, the pain in the beginning is worth it!!
I had mine Merina put in one week ago.  I've had 2 kids but because of some scar tissue my health care provider said it was a very difficult insertion.  If I do not take 800 mg of iburprofin every 6 to 8 hours the pain is very bad.  Its not getting any better.  Also having the back pain and the pain is worse on the right side.  I agree with jrd325 - feels more like contractions than menstral cramps.  At 40 my options for birth control are getting fewer, I sure hope these cramps go away.  Anyone had bad cramps for several weeks after???
I got minds put in about 3wks ago it wasn't so bad, I cramped a little after which I was told was normal, I started my period 2wks ago with light spooting the first 2 days and then a period(notheavy) now spotting again, I called my Dr and she said that it was normal to bleed a little longer with the IUD in place just as long as it is not heavy bleeding, bad odor and dosn't last longer then 2mth then they will have to give something to stop the bleeding, if this continues spotting are not, I am going to have them take it out at my next appointment in 2wks.
I wish to alert those who have had a Merina recently fitted for or had one for some time, If they feel tired, listless, bloated, have no energy and or have unpredictable mood swings, This could be a side effect reaction to the device and could have a devastating effect on relationships with your partner and others around you.  It might be better to consider an alternative if this does actually occur frequently.   Talk about alternatives with your GP. It is essential to weigh up the advantages against disadvantages as this may not suit everyone.  Exercise and healthy diet to minimise weight gain is of course a pre-requisite.    

R

I had my Merina put in over 2 years ago - after I had my son in 2005. I LOVE it. I've always hated taking the pill (it gives me morning sickness and other side effects) and I've tried a bunch of other birth control options and this is by far the best thing I've ever tried. Before having my son, I used to get really bad menstrual cramps and long, heavy periods. Since getting the Merina I now get very light periods (I only have to wear panty liners for a few days) and just a little bit of cramping. I haven’t had any weird side effects like weight gain or hair loss. The one strange thing that happened to me after getting the Merina, was that after about 2 months of having it inserted, the stings went up inside my uterus so I can no longer check to see if is it still there by feeling for the strings. I have to get an ultra sound every year just to make sure it is still in place. But it is a small price to pay for not having to worry about birth control for up to five years (that is how long you can keep it in).

I would highly recommend the Merina as a form of birth control to anyone who has had one or more children already. However, I do not recommend it to anyone who has not had a baby. I’ve tried having an IUD BEFORE I had my son (although it was the copper coil not the Merina) and it was horrible. I had really bad bleeding, spotting and cramping throughout my whole cycle and so I had it taken out a few months after getting it in. I don't know if I'm having better luck this time because it is the Merina or because I've had a child - it is probably a combination of both factors - but I would certainly recommend trying the Merina to anyone who has already had a child.

I'm thinking about getting preggers again in the next few months, so I'm going to book an appointment with my doctor to get it removed - although I'm not sure how he is going to take it out now that the strings are no longer hanging down - I'll let you know how it goes...
I feel much better reading this and knowing that I am not just being a wimp about the whole thing.  I had my IUD put in yesterday (which was the worst pain I think I have ever experienced) and spent the whole day lying down.  I have not had any children and I am very small so I imagined that it would hurt a bit--but who could prepare for that-OOOWWWW.  I have been taking some Motrin and that seems to help a little bit.  The best I felt was just sitting in the tub until the water went cold (with a book and a glass of wine), it eased my back pain as well.  Today is a bit better but I'm afraid to do anything.  I am still cramping and my back hurts and I don't want anything to make it worse.  I was suppose to do my regular exercising of running and lifting weights but I'm just afraid it making things worse.  I am also concerned about having sex  because I don't want to hurt anymore than I am right now.  Will any of this have a negative effect?  How long before you forget it's there and can move on?
I had my first Mirena IUD inserted today by my ob/gyn.  The only mistake that I know as of today is that I read way too much on the internet about other's experiences.  I am 36 and have never had children.  The pain was very crampy but only lasted a few minutes during the insertion.  Felt some lower back pain/pressure.  I am pretty much a wimp-----but I did not faint, vomit, etc. as I have read.  Everyone is different.  I took 3- 200mg Advil's before my visit as directed by my physician.  I am hoping for the best.  I was advised that the Mirena IUD is close to (as far as bc) as one having their tubes tied.  Also, since I am in good physical shape (5'3" 112 lbs) My periods may stop completely!  I made a switch from Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to the Mirena since I am a smoker.  Good luck to anyone that tries it.  I was also told that the after cramping is normal, etc.  My physician also explained that there is a very very low chance of the IUD expelling. My next check-up is 4/8 and of course I am hoping for the best in the next 6 weeks!
I Had my Iud put in last may so 11 months ago it was going great i had the ususal spotting and cramping and it all went away no periods which was awesome cause im my family periods are horrible hevy flows and cramps like labor.. well anyway these last 2 weeks i have been bleeding lightly and today i am having real bad bleeding i dont understand is this normal???
Had Merina inserted 2/27......everything has been going great.  My boyfriend cannot feel the strings and of course the iud as well.

My insertion was the day of my period.  My "real" period with the iud only lasted about 2-3 days.  I spotted very lightly for a few more days (panty liner).  Sex for the first time was a little scary on my part...what to expect?  Everything went very well just as if I didn't have the IUD.  I have had sex about 4 more times since then...ok.  Last night, I noticed pain during sex in my right side (lower hip)?  I had some pain prior to sex and I think that it may just be ovulation pains?  Anyway, no more spotting,etc.  I have been able to locate my strings only once.  I will follow up with doc on 4/8/08.  I know that he left them long but I have heard they can hide behind the cervix/uterus?  If the pain persists on my right side after this week, I will make an appt earlier.  

Final note:  I AM HAPPY WITH THE MERINA!  I have not had my second period so that is about the only thing I am hesitant about (s/b around 3/26).

Also note, I came off of Ortho Tri-Cyclen after about 5 years.  On BCP's about 15-16 years.

I had a miscarriage and a C&C three weeks ago - the pregnancy was an accident - and my obgyn put in an IUD on 3/17.  It hurt like crazy and the only warning was "slight pressure" just before hand.  Anyway, my question is - has anyone had one put in right after a miscarriage or a D&C?  I've never had kids and I'm having alot of pain.  It's only been three days, though.  I just wonder if it's odd that my obgyn would put one in so soon.
... I mean D&C
I am a 42-year-old single woman who never had a child. I had a Mirena IUD inserted almost three years ago as a birth control method but also because I had uterine fibroids with uncontrolled bleeding. I have never had a problem with it at all. In fact, it has changed my life. My periods are nearly non-existant (which for me is good when you compare that to uncontrolled bleeding) and I haven't worried about birth control in years. Only once has a partner claimed they could feel the strings. I am having some cramping today and am wondering if it's time to have it checked (though they say you can leave it in for five years). I will be disappointed if I have to have it removed.
I have endometriosis and I had my merina IUD put aug 15 2007 I had horrible pain for the first 2 months missed work and was medicated, and then one day I woke up with less pain and then the next week it was better... periods are getting lighter and lighter every month still a bit of cramping but nothing compared to what I had with no IUD. To all those who want to take theirs out after the first week hold out it is worth it in the End.
I had been diagnosed with severe endometriosis, have had two laparoscopic procedures to remove some of the endometriosis and was not able to take birth control pills - because I have had a couple of DVT's (blood clots) in the past.  My periods were every 28 days and so heavy that I would have to wear a super plus tampon and an overnight pad - and change BOTH every 2 hours.  The back pain and cramping was horrific. I am 33 and do not have children, nor have I ever been pregnant.  It has been just about 1 year since I had my merina IUD put in.  The insertion was painful - very crampy and it pinched. I fainted and had to stay an additional hour at the GYN office, until they thought it was okay for me to go.  I would imagine that it was to be expected, since I have never been pregnant.  I spent that night (it was Friday) and the weekend on the couch. The cramping went away by Monday and I was back at work.  The next month I had barely any spotting.  Actually, I have had 2 "periods" since insertion - which consisted of me wearing a panty liner for 2-3 days max.  I LOVE my merina.  IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE DRAMATICALLY.  Before I got it, I lived my life by the calendar - I wasn't able to exercise 1 week out of every month.  The money I spent on tampons and pads was crazy, never mind the money I spent on pain medication.  Also, the Rx from the doctor for pain control was so strong that I wasn't allowed to DRIVE while taking it...I am a NEW person.  I have not felt this good since the beginning of high school.  I have not had any of the above mentioned side effects, but all I can tell you is to give it at least a couple of months - providing it is inserted correctly and you don't have any infections, etc.  Not having to worry about getting a period and not having to worry about being pregnant is the BEST feeling in the world.  I have actually recommended it to my female relatives and friends.  Anyone who has, or is suffering from endometriosis, you understand what I am saying.  The relief from the pain and relief of all the crappy monthly symptoms is the next best thing to a hysterectomy.  And, it's a certainly a LOT easier than having your uterus removed.  I am so grateful that my GYN gave me the merina IUD as an option.
I got my Merina in January. I have had two periods since then and my periods are usually 3-4 days of light flow and now they are very very light but last over two weeks.
I am going crazy already. I feel like I am a crabby mad woman. I really want to give it time but The long periods are making me and my husband crazy.
I have been looking online to see if others who have had longer periods say that they start to fade each month but have not found that yet.
Hey, I am 23yrs old and on my 2nd Merina, I haven't had kids yet nor been pregnant, I suffer from endometriosis which is why i have a merina as the pill made me eat all the time a have nasty mood swings. the 1st i had inserted was last yr and had to have removed after 2wks as I was suffering from severe stabbing pains, it turned out i had contracted Chlamydia from my BF at the time and it was reacting with the Merina. I wish i had known 2 get tested b4 hand after all the trouble i went through. I consider myself to be fairly safe when it comes to safe sex but as my partner was ignorant I caught it anyway. Had i not had any symptoms I would have ended up with an infection that would have damaged me and probably stopped me from having kids. I had my 2nd one inserted Feb18th 08 and it wasnt easy to get in, which made it very painful. The cramping hurt for a few days and i had 2 fairly heavy and long periods since then but i have now started to settle. It is great knowing i wont have an unexpected pregnancy but it is scary to know that one wrong move while having sex and i could catch an STD and risk my health again. I will never have unprotected sex unless its a long term relationship and we have both proven we are healthy. I want to have children and would never forgive myself if I didn't do something so simple as use a condom. I hope all women out there care about themselves enough to do the same, trust me, we would be horrified to know how many people have STDs and don't even know it. Its rare to get symptoms for any type. I hope my wee story helps even one woman out there and prevents them from getting it wrong like i did.
Peace!! xoxo
I'M GETTING MINE ON FRIDAY, AND AFTER READING, IM SO TERRIFIED,  I HATE PAIN. IMA  GO AHEAD AND TRY IT. AND ILL BE BACK TO LET U GUYS NO HOW IT WENT. WISH ME GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
I'm 45, never had children and had the Merina inserted 3 weeks tago oday.  It was an awful experience but I got through with my yoga breathing!  I've done it for painful period reasons and am not going to have kids now so would be v happy to stop bleeding once and for all.

I too have been in constant pain - worse than the period pain I usually experience which is saying something.  However, I was told to expect this - especially as I haven't ever given birth and therefore my cervix is much tighter.  I am also bleeding a lot which is a pain in itself but I was told to expect this and that it could last for up to 3 months so I will try to bear it in the hope that eventually my periods will lessen significantly (or maybe even stop altogether - hurrah!).

I have found it reassuring reading on here how many others are finding it tough at the beginning.  I also draw hope from the fact that my best friend had one fitted two years ago after having endometriosis and now she has nothing!!!  Hang in there is all I can say.  I have no pain today (but more blood); it's been a real rollercoaster but I am determined to give it a try.

I had the Merina inserted on my 41st birthday. The first one defaulted and I have had 2 children. The pain was almost unbearable, I almost said "forget this" noise.  So the second one stayed in place but I Have cramps that go up into my back. My doctor said it was "normal" but none of her patients had ever complained so I felt like a total loser for complaining about them. Well, here I am 41 days later and it still hurts, I'm still bleeding. I have been bleeding for nearly 7 months, I might have had a 10 day break in between, I can't even think about sex because the pain. Also, I used a tampon and it forced its way out. My doctor's nurse hasn't called me back, I've left 4 messages and now I'm just plained mad. I feel gassy, crampy, moody...and my poor husband...geez
I had my IUD put in a month ago and it did hurt like hell and i had cramping for the rest of the day... but after that i had been fine until recently..Lately after I have sex with my boyfriend i have very severe cramps in my lower stomach radiating towards my butt...Has anyone only experienced the cramping after sex or is it all the time for you?
i dono about the cramping thing i have an IUD in for 5 months and i dont feel a thing and everyone is going thur allot pain and it makes me feel like mine isnt even working when they put it in i dint even notice they was done i have a 6 month old i dono if that has sumthing to do with it or not i had allot bleeding and stuff i think i had cramps for 1 day couple weeks after i got it done but i took pain meds once and i woke up n it was gone i hope mine is working
I've had an IUD for two years.  I'm 33 and haven't had children.  The insertion made me dizzy and nauseated but the worst part was the cramping.  The cramping pain has never improved although it comes and goes.  Right before my period, it is the worst with the kind of cramps that can knock me off my feet, stop me in the middle of a sentence, make me scream into a pillow.  I can time them like labor pains.  I also experience middle-of-the-cycle pain, too, maybe it is ovulation pain.  My periods are now barely 21-days apart and heavy with lots of clotting.  I've recently found some pain relief with Aleve but it doesn't make it all go away.  Everytime I've complained to my doctor, she's sent me in for an ultrasound to check the position of the IUD - it is always fine, not perforating, not being expelled.  Her solution is "Take it out!"  But, not only did it cost me $750, but the agony of the insertion, and the freedom from thinking about birth control...I don't want to give it up.  Since I'm pretty sure it isn't actually harming my body (Or is it??), I have so far been willing to put up with the pains.
I just got my Merina IUD TODAY, I had already previously tried about a month ago (about two weeks after I had a miscarriage).. that time I went in the Dr. couldn't get the tool through my cervix (which was sort of expected, as I am 19 years old, really small 100lbs, and have never had kids). So we went for round 2 today, which worked.. because I took these two hormone pills the Dr. gave me which opened up my cervix and made it able to go in.. I had to take them 12 hours ahead of time, which was last night, and I couldn't even get to sleep because of the horrible cramping. Today at the procedure, it was painful.. very painful.. since then, I'm still cramping, and bleeding...I have been laying down on the floor for the past four hours or so and that seemed to help.. when i sit up more, the cramps seem to kick in again.. I'm going to try a warm bath, and more ibuprofen! I am happy the procedure finally worked! This pain is totally worth it.
No Pills, No patch, No worries, No babies...YAY!!
I'd just like to chime in here.
I got my Merina 6 weeks ago and I experienced a very difficult insertion. I've had a child but it was 12 years ago and I've apparently recaptured my virginity or something because my cervix was closed up TIGHT. My Gyn had to "spread" it which hurt like ****! He said it was one of the most "uncomfortable" insertions he'd had. Understatement of the year, I'm sure. In other words, he'd be telling my story at the water cooler the next day!
A heating pad and Aleve was all the advice I was given about handling the pain. Like a couple of Loritabs would've been out of order for the love of Pete...
Lots of cramping the first four weeks, especially during ovulation, most of them were worse than period cramps and strangely low in my groin area (like right on my bikini line, where the legs of my panties go... weird!) But only two days were bad enough that they interrupted my daily life.
Lots of brown, ropy discharge which freaked me out until I read on several other message boards that it was normal. And Holy ****, don't put in a tampon - that almost killed me!
And, super weird, it hurt to wear tight jeans or to bear down when having a bowel movement or sneezing or straining to pick something up... LIKE A KNIFE IN MY GUT.
But I think I'm over the hump now. I just had my second period (first started the day before insertion) and it was VERY LIGHT and fairly painless. WOO HOO!
This weekend I plan to try having SEX and see how that works out. WISH ME LUCK!! (please God, no cramps, I'm begging you!)
I've had the Merina IUD placed in 2005 and I have contemplated on taking it out every month since then. I've had bad cramps, acne, and moodiness for the last three years. The day of the insertion was like an abortion! It hurt too much that I wondered if I can ever have sex again. Well, the benefit of the IUD is that it really guarantees "No Worries!" So, no worries about getting pregnant for the last three years but the cramping and the constant acne problems are persisting so I'm getting it out this week and I hope it's not going to hurt too much! Has anyone else had ACNE PROBLEMS from the IUD?
I have never had children and I had Mirena put in on the next to last day of my regular birth control pills, it was Friday 6/27/08, (this just so happend to be my annual exam, so I requested the Mirena) I was due to get my period the following Monday or Tuesday. The insertion was way more painful than I had expected. The Dr. did call in an antibiotic for me to take the night before and morning of and later that night, plus an 800 Ibuprofin for the morning of. So the pain, OMG, EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have never experienced anything like it. I nearly passed out and vomited. So, she gets it in there and my body cramps up and POP, it falls out! Are you kidding me!! I opted to try again, because, I figured, whats the worse that could happen, I pass out? I'm at the docs already. So we do it again, I go through this horrible cramping then intense pinching pain that I cant even describe, it was deep inside me, bout 2 inches below my belly button. It worked this time. I had to stay laying on the table for a good 15 minutes before I got up. She wrote me a script for more 800 IB's, and sent me on my way. She said I was all set and didnt need to come back until my yearly exam next year!! I thought that was wierd. Anyway, that day was horrible with cramps. The severe pain was gone but I had the cramps all day. (BTW, I have been on bc pills for 20 yrs. no cramps, light periods, always). But when I woke up Saturday I was OK. I have been OK since, as far as cramps go. Very sporadic and not crippling, thank God. But I have had spotting since then. I wasnt sure since I was supposed to get my period last week anyway, it wasnt like my regular periods, lighter, but still now today, 11 days later, I am spotting, I need to wear a panty liner. I am affraid to have sex or use a tampon. I wonder when the bleeding will stop?? And, sometimes I feel like I have difficulty breathing. Just a tightness in my upper chest area, not always, but I am noticing it now where I have ever have in my life! Is this the Mirena! I am reading so much around the internet maybe I am just paranoid. I guess I will wait until next month and see how the bleeding goes, and see how my breathing feels. I really really want this, but I am also scared it will fall out and i wont know it!! What if I cant feel the strings? I tried once so far and nothing. How do I know what my cervix feels like to know i am up far enough to try and feel for the strings!! Oh, so many questions. Has anyone had breathing or chest tightness with Mirena? Again, I have never given birth, and was on a lo dose bc pill for many years.
i am a getting my Merina IUd inserted Sept 4, 2008. i heard a lot of people complaining about the cramps that lasts upto 3 months that will eventually resolve.

my second child is 3 month old, exclusively breastfed...i am also goig back to school full time for my fourth year. Given my situation, does any one think i can deal with the pain/ study and focus on my school?

my other question does Merina IUD interfere with milk supply.

thanks
hey i had the merina put in about three months ago a month after i had my baby...now i'm getting all the signs of being pregnant again!! i checked it its still in place,all my test say negative is there a chance i could be? help someone give me some insight please!!
also i've asked my doctor about it but he plays kinda dumb i don't know what to think.... anyone know of that happing?
Well, I am heading into 30 days with Mirena, and as you can see from my above post I was quite concerened with shortness of breath. I can say that I feel fine. I have no cramps, I have not had a full period, just spotting the first 2-3 weeks, but thats gone too. And my breathing issues seem much better. The 27th of July will be the 30 dyas, it is also 30 days from the last day I took my birth control pills, so I dont know if I will get a period or not, so far no signs of it!! Which is great as far as Im concerned. But to all who have worries, so did I in the beginning, but now evrything seems fine! Good Luck
has anyone had a lack of Sex drive or lack of energy.  I have had my IUD in for a year and I assumed the lack of sex and energy were due to having 3 kinds under the age of 5 however, i am wondering if it could be the IUD. My doctor says that it has no effect but I feel like I wake up in the mornings and I am ready for a nap. I have never been like this before.
I have had my Merina for about 2 1/2 months. I have 3 children- thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and get one ;-) I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet. It was a little more painful to insert than I thought. Then I had cramping for a couple days. I was bleeding non stop for what seemed like forever... a month, give or take a week. The only thing I'm worried about now are the cramps I'm having. They're horrible!!! It truely feels like the beginning stages of labor!!! The cramps even hurt into my bottom! I'm not sure how long I can keep this up. I figured I'd give it 4-5 months. The plus of the Merina is not having to worry about taking a pill everyday and the fear of getting pregnant for the fourth time- which is almost enough to change my mind and keep it ;-) We'll see. I hope this helps someone trying to choose or wondering about how other people feel about The Marina IUD.
I have had the Merina for about 3 months. I really love it except for 2 things - i now gain like 7 pounds of water weight around my period and I my breasts have gotten bigger. I was a size D cup before, but now I am a bigger D or DD. My breasts are thick and heavy. Is anyone else having htis problem?
I wanted to say I am a RN, 34 have had two vaginal births, survivor of cerical cancer, with severe endometriosis. I have lived in agony since I was 13 with my periods, the cramping and pain was unbelievable. During labor I found that was easier than my periods. finaly got a Mirena about a year ago, absolutly the best thing I have ever done. It was uncomfortable at insertion, my ob/gyn prescribed a pain pill, valium, and 800mg motrin to take 1 hour before my husband went with. VERY good idea, I am a wimp. Now light periods with pantyliner or junior tampons! I spot occasionally and have cramps not bad enough to take anything. Sex is great! I do not understand why women say they have all these side effects? The Mirena is only Progesterone and only works locally to the intruterine tissue. it is not absorbed through the body like the pill.
It was like a more involved pap. But the young girls who do not have kids are going to hurt during insertion. If you already have bad cramps with your period it is not any worse.
I am 27 with 2 kids & 10 months ago decided to have mirena - It hurt like "HELL" getting it in. I actually passed out. WIMP!!!  Anywho I had the normal cramping etc for the 1st 3 months & my always light periods nearly went away over the next 6-7 months.  For the past 3 days however I have been cramping & it is soooooo uncomfortable, why now would I be cramping like this?  I was expecting a period but nothing has come???
I am a 37 year old with one child.  I had Mirena inserted 2005 and shortly remove in a month. I began to swell over my entire body.  Six months later I was diagnosed with colon cancer and neuroendocrine tumor of the pancreas.
I don't recommend this to anyone!

Still battling the neuroendocrine mess!

I am 43,no children,and have Merina about 7 weeks. Ive found that I have shortness of breath as you mentioned. I workout 3-4 times weekly & am rather active, so its new to me. Ive had alot of side effects so my doctor & I have agreed to see in about 4 months if they tapper off as an adjustment period. At this point Im undecided about keeping it in. Im moody & thats unusual and I feel tired out quicker. Ive had low blood sugar shakiness and hunger. I eat a very healthy diet so thats not the issue - simple carbs are a bad idea on Merina by the way. I have acne once a month around when the period would be- but currently no period,just spotting. My skin has been clear since my early 20s so thats dissapointing,the doctor felt that might clear up as the body adjust.I feel puffy & bloated around the belly & seemed to have gained some belly fat & that has me worried. The first month my libido was gone but thats returned and the orgasms have returned to full strength,they felt diminished at first but that may have been from the residual pain of having the cervix dialated & general soreness in that region. Back pain,some leg pain has gotten better, and my vision immediately readjusted so that my contact lens were to strong & had to be lowered.The vision changes may actually be why some women have headaches & dont realize it,it reduced my prescription 50, thats a major shift. Im not entirly happy with it or unhappy -as yet. No birth control hormones are going to be completely free of side effects but my options were limited due to heavy bleeding, so I will ride it out a while longer & see if it strikes a reasonable balance. If the Levonorgstrel is 20 ug daily from the total fill of the IUD/IUS, and a portion of that only gets into th blood stream its still less than oral BC pills.
Ok so iv'e had my iud for about 6wks now....at first i hated it! I was cramping sooo bad, especially after sex and during a BM....but it lasted for 2wks  or so and now I love it . I can;t feel it at all and i don't have a period.
I have had my iud for about 2 years and I still have bad cramps during my period. I still bleed heavy. I have bad acne which I never had problems before. My moods are up and down. I'm losing hair and I gained 20 pounds. I don't feel the strings. I feel like I have a bladder infection all the time. I don't know what to do. I know I'm not pregnant and my doctor said I should be fine. I have 4 children and I think I will have it taken out and get fixed.
I had natural birth and just got my IUD a few weeks ago.  OMG I thought I was in pure labor again.  It was awful.  I had trouble driving home, stopped for ice cream and a frappuccino before going straight to bed for the remainder of the day.  Ugh.  Cramps have been better since then.  Some days I don't notice it much; other days (like today) the cramps suck.  I'm hoping in another month or two I will have forgotten about it completely.  Oh and as a reply to one of the other posts on here:  you were concerned because you couldn't feel the string.  After one month of having Mirena the string softens and shrivels up purposefully so you won't notice it.  At least that's what my OB said.
Oh and they also had trouble inserting mine and had to basically dilate my cervix to get it in (that sucked).  I still hope it's worth it . . . . who could ask for a better BC if I can rid myself of periods and not have to take a pill, patch or shot for five years??!!  I've tried them all (pills, dep. shot, the ring and the patch).
I had my IUD put in yesterday and it was the just like getting a pap, it went quick no pain. My doc said because it is a hormonal IUD it is ok not to have a period. And everyone is different some might bleed heavily some may not ever bleed. And if you feel uncomfortable and you can tell you have the IUD it is not inserted right, you should go about your life and never feel anything.
I am 30 and I just had mine inserted today.  I had to be dilated as the opening was too small.  I had some pain with the insertion- when she clamped the cervix to hold on and when it was actually inserted- but I had expected that with having no children.  I've been on the Depo shot for almost 8 years and loved that (no period).  I was off the shot for about a month and have had spotting for the last month.  I only decided to switch for the long term 5 year maintenance instead of every 3 months.  I'm hoping the IUD makes my period go away again.  Today I am very crampy- at times more extreme.  I've had a fan blowing on me for refreshing air- it seems to help.  I am to go back in 3 months to see how I am doing.  I hope that the posts I've ready of cramps for several months are not the case for me and that the period is non existant or very light since I've been lucky to avoid that over the last 8 years.  I will repost to this group in a few months to provide more information to the girls wishing to get this- I hope it was a good choice!
First of all, your dr should have told you that its easier to insert the iud shortly after birth.  So for thos of you that have never had kids, yes its going to hurt more.  Second they tell you in the info packet that you can have bleeding for 3-5 months after having it put in.  So that shouldn't be a shock for you.  And the only time I have had pain so bad that I threw up was when they gave me my epidural when I had my twins.  I honestly don't remember the pain so bad that I couldn't handle having the thing put in.  I drove myself home from the dr, and went right back to taking care of my twins the same afternoon.  I think if you didn't know what to expect you shouldn't have gotten then thing in the first place.  Sorry that might be a little cold, but you should know what your getting before letting a dr do anything to you.  I wouldn't let a surgeon cut me open without knowing what he was taking out first.
I had my IUD put in a couple weeks ago. It didnt hurt at all when it was put in, but later that day I started cramping. I have been having cramps and bleeding ever since. Hopefuly it wont take a full three months for my body to get used to it.
You're right, vic_sears, that is pretty cold.  I don't think anyone takes this lightly, and in my case, I researched the Mirena for three years before pulling the trigger and insertion was still the most painful experience of my life, so bad that I had to pull over on the way home and vomit.  Everyone's body is different, and while it's great for you that you had no issues afterward and were able to care for your twins immediately, you should not judge those who had a harder time with it.  I also think almost everyone who is sharing their experience that has not given birth has acknowledged that they knew it would be harder going in, but when your physician simply states that you will have some "discomfort," it hardly prepares one for the experience.  "Discomfort" is monthly period cramps or a pulled muscle.  Mirena insertion was not discomfort, it was full-tilt pain.  Again, kudos to you for being such a trooper, but your experience is not everyone's.  Have a little compassion.
I am 42 married and never been pregnant and had the Mirena inserted 3 days ago.  I had talked to 2 girlfriends who had it done but HAD given birth and neither of them had a problem or pain.  So I was confident that I would be ok maybe some cramping.  My insertion went fine, Dr had prescribed a cervix softener.  She gave my a pad to wear after which was good there was some red blood but nothing scarry.  About 5 minutes after everything was done I was sitting in her office and got dizzy and cold sweats and had to have a BM. I made it to the car for a 10 min drive home and had a girlfriend talk to me the whole way bc it was beyond anything I had ever experienced with bad cramps from a few small fibroids.  I was delerious, soaking wet and had the chills. My lower abdomen, my THIGHS, writhing in pain, crying like I had never cried before, my fingers went numb and tingly.  My friend on the car phone had had 3 children and she said it sounded like labor pains not just cramping.  I agree it was horrendous!!! I couldn't pull over bc I could only think about getting fetal.  Made it home and writhed in bed for 45 min rubbing my upper thighs.  Got the 800 mg ibuprofen down (wished I had taken it before). Every hour it lessed to where after 3 hours I could do a task and then lie down again with a heat pack.  Next day I just relied on 2 Alleve every 6-9 hours and the cramping is more like one long cramp, more like constipation and my left side is a bit achey still.  Tired, feel weak in the thighs and upper arms.  I have only had to wear a mini pad and now the 3rd day nothing.  I did notice some brown stringy blood in the end.  Well, I don't need to worry about getting pregnant bc sex is the last thing I think about right now, I just want my energy back and the lower abdomen, bloated, constipated feeling and cramps to go away.  I too am hoping that it dissipates with time.  But if you have never given birth you MUST get the softener, MUST take 800 Mg Ibuprofen PRIOR to the procedure and MUST have someone drive you home.  I was a danger to mankind.  
Wow wow wow.  I am in shock over these posts.  I researched Mirena before I went through with the procedure (11 days ago) but THANK GOD I didn't see this thread prior to the procedure!  I can't believe what some of you poor woman have gone through!  I honestly don't think I would have done it if I read this before hand!!  I found this site because for the past two days I have felt so bloated and constipated and I don't know why.  I was guessing it may be related to the Mirena so I thought I do a little internet research (I actually came home and did an enema -sorry!!- because i cant take it.)  I've gained a lot of weight in the past year and feel extra bloated and fat today (which is super depressing) so i hope all of this subsides.  
I guess it helps to know that I'm 31 w/ no kids.  If its any consolation to the woman out there that are interested in getting it and haven't had a vaginal birth, the procedure really wasn't that bad for me.  I took a pill to dilate the cervix several hours beforehand.  Went on the last day (if not the day after...) of my period and I certainly felt uncomfortable DURING the procedure -cramping- but as soon as my OB/GYN was done I got dressed and drove home.  I was a little off that night but not too bad.  Ever since I've had a bloody discharge (no pads or tampons required) which is annoying and the bloating is starting to bother me but I'm going to stick it out.  I think its definitely worth!  The only thing i'm worried about is a)weight gain (have enough lbs on me now!) and b) acne...we'll see...its only been 11 days!
I have had the Mirena now for 1 month.  I am seeing my Dr tomorrow to discuss removing it.  The weight gain is depressing and I look 5 months pregnant in my belly and thighs.  5 pounds in less than a month and I have tripled the exercise and eaten half as much.  My nipples are so tender -no discharge yet.  The brown stringy discharge has stopped and now a milky discharge from my vagina.  Lower abdominal pain comes and goes, feels like someone is poking at my ovaries.  I cramp after strenuous exercise, haven't had sex yet, partially a lack of desire and partially fear.  Mild acne is starting on my lower face.  Tampons don't stay in as well.  My first period after the procedure lasted longer than before like 7 days and was mild.  But the weight gain has me very worried and depressed.  Will report back again...
I have a question i'm 24 yrs. old and i'm using the mirena for about year now. But now i don't have my periods but i still have the cramps and bloating only is that normal.
All these posts scare me! I have had the IUD put in a week ago. Insertion hurt, but not unbearable. Just cramping. The cramping went away after two days, but today is horrible. No bleeding, just the brown slimy stuff. Is it ok to have the cramps come back like this? I thought cramping was only supposed to last for a couple of days. I am so excited to get through all of this and be period and cramp free. I also have fibroids so I am ready for something to hinder those. I just thought the cramping was supposed to go away after a couple of days.

Also, now I feel like I am getting sick. Really heavy feeling, worn out, sore throat. That is not a sign of an infection from the IUD is it? Any help would be great. I feel bad calling the doctor and sounding like a baby.
I'm 22 and have a 9 month old daughter (via c-section) and I had mine put in yesterday and yes it was VERY painful to put in but once i got home and slept for a couple hours the pain was gone.
Had my IUD placed in July and I have one child via C-section in April. I agree with EmmlinsMom in that it was very painful for that day, but I haven't had any problems since. Only thing is my periods have not yet gotten any lighter, maybe after time but no cramping, hair loss, weight gain or mood swings.
I had a ParaGard inserted last May. I have never given birth and the insertion wasn't painful at all. I remember thinking "why didn't I do this sooner." My period was quite heavy for about 8 months and then went back to normal. When I went for annual exam this year I had to get an ultrasound done. The doctor found out that my IUD had "moved lower" and said that the best thing to do would be to remove it and put a new one in. ( I should also mention that the doctor that inserted the ParaGard and my current Gyno are not the same person. The first one moved to another practice.)

I went in to get the ParaGard removed. I told her that I was quite nervous about having it removed and not knowing what to expect. She told me that everyone says it feels like "taking out a dry tampon." She then proceeded to remove it, only to find me screaming in pain, and the IUD not moving. She tried twice more to remove it until the strings BROKE!! With tears streaming down my face she referred me to a Gyno that she works with. To make a long story shorter....MY IUD WAS EMBEDDED!!!! I had to have surgery to have it removed. And I mean going to the hospital, being put under anesthesia and having it surgically removed. The doctor said that basically the ParaGard should not have been inserted because it was actually too big for my uterus and had twisted sideways and embedded itself. ( I was still able to check my string the entire time) When I had it put in the doctor never "sounded" or measured my uterus and I guess basically made it fit.

I had to wait 3 weeks to have a new IUD put in. My current doctor said to use Mirena because it is actually about 1 cm. shorter than the ParaGard. I went on Wednesday ( 2 days ago ) and had the Mirena Inserted. The sounding was the most painful part. The worst cramps that I have had in my life, but still tolerable and only lasted a few minutes. Another bad cramp during  actual insertion and that was it. Not too bad....but it was painful for a bit. I was on the verge of starting my period when I had it put in, and have yet to bleed any. I had MAJOR cramps for about 6 hours afterwards that kept me bed-ridden, but subsided after that. I'm still having cramps, but have yet to bleed. And the cramps now feel like period cramps. Going to stay with this one because I love the convience of having an IUD.
I had my Mirena IUD inserted on Monday, and I am still experiencing strong cramping. My insertion was horrible...much like described above. I am 40 and never had children, and my doctor didn't tell me to take ANYTHING. I also was dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. An ultrasound after the procedure showed it was in the right place, but they told me cramps would subside after a half hour. I am three days into this and don't think I could stand getting it taken out, so I am going to try and deal with the cramps. Thank you to all the women who posted here...I now feel much better that this is "normal".
hi,i am new to this!i had the merina inserted in april this year,i have 3 kids and since the last birth 2 years ago i have had very heavy periods.so the merina was a good option.the problem is i got my last period on the 13th oct and still have it.i have been to a+e 3 times with severe bleeding,clotting and wicked cramps,they just sent me home with tablets to stop the bleeding.i went to my gp 2 days ago and she said she would take it out but couldnt find it.had an xray to see if the merina was there and nothing showed up.i am now still bleeding and i have been out of work 2 weeks out of the last 3 weeks.she has put me back on the pill to see if the bleeding subsides and if it doesnt i will have to have a d+c,i am really fed up with all this!!!!
I am 30 yrs old and I had mine inserted about 6hrs ago with a D&C performed at same time as hysteroscopy. Was given 2 Napragesic tablets to take a half hour before procedure. I have had 3 children (ages 9,8 & 3) The whole procedure lastest about 20 mins and at the start it felt like having a pap smear, then the pressure was felt, not too bad, but then I began to feel light headed and cramping started.
I was allowed to go straight home on the condition I lay down for few hours. At this stage the clear anteseptic and a little bleeding started. I have taken 2 more panadine since with cramping coming and going (but bearable) will let you know what happens overnight. I feel ok just bit tender and I dont agree with pain being that bad (maybe I'm lucky) or I havent fully experienced yet?? Will keep you informed
X Danielle
I am a 46 yo woman who has had three pregancies - 1 vaginal birth and 2 c-sections.  I decided to get the Mirena IUD because of severe perimenopausal symptoms:  Heavy bleeding and clotting, frequent periods and/or periods that last for a month, constant pain due to cramping, etc. I also have horrific periods due to endometriosis.   I had been taking progestrone birth control pills for the symptoms, which helped, but did not completely rid me of my pain.  After lots of consultation, I decided on Mirena even though I don't need it for birth control (husband had a vasectomy).

I was completely unprepared for the pain of the procedure.  My doctor was extremely gentle and supportive, but it was still very painful.  He said that my cervix was closed "extremely tightly" and that I have a forward-tipped uterus, both of which contributed to the pain and cramping.  Yes, the cramps did feel like labor, and I am used to very bad cramps.  It was as painful as the endometrial biopsy I had a few months before.  I asked my GYN if I was just being a whimp and he said that it is hard to predict how different women will react to the procedure, and that I wasn't being a whimp.

It pinched and cramped severly during the procedure, then afterwards I felt faint, clammy, nauseaus, and had a bout of diarrhea.  I had to wait in the waiting room for an hour and a half after the procedure before I felt well enough to leave.  I continued to have very bad cramping last night and even took a vicodin, which helped but did not eliminate the pain.  Between the pain and the vicodin, I hardly slept last night.

Today life is MUCH better.  I still have cramps, but they are manageable with Midol.  The bleeding has really diminished to just light spotting.  I am so glad that it is over and am really looking forward to some longer term relief.  I just wish that I had known it could be so painful, and that I had asked for some pain meds before/during the procedure.  

By the way, I have two friends - 1 is 37 with 2 children and the other is 45 with no children, and neither of them felt this kind of pain.  Both described mild discomfort that lasted for about an hour.  Go figure!
Dear janeeps,

I was reading your storey.  The reason you were in so much pain when having the IUD put in was because you have had 2 c-sections.  I myself have had 2 c-sections and I had my Merina put in 2 weeks ago.  My gyno told me that I need to be put under general anaesthetic due to the fact that I had c-sections which left scar tissue.  He said if I don't go under general anaesthetic I will be in too much pain.  From the horror stories I have read from others that have had it inserted while awake, this was the best outcome for me.  I went under and the next thing I new I woke up and I wasn't in any pain.  Just a faint cramp pain but that was nothing.  He also did a curet (D&C) and went in and had a look inside with a camera to make sure every thing was fine.  I  had no internal brusing,  just when I stood up a flow of blood came out which the nurse told me was normal and I haven't bled since.  I don't know how I will  be in the next few months, but for now all is good.  When and if you replace the IUD in future make sure you are put under general anaesthetic because you will have scar tissue from the c-sections.  This is why you would have been in so much pain. Did your friend with 2 children have c-sections or natural birth?   My gyno will only insert the Merina while his patient is awake if they had natural birth, it's uncomfortable but barerable, otherwise all his patients that have had c-sections will go under general anaesthic.    It's funny how all doctors aren't on the same page.  You'd  think they'd know all this.  By the way I'm in Australia, Melbourne.  Not sure what country you are in.

regards
nooge
I've had my IUD for about a month or so now, and I have to say, the pros outweigh the cons. I've had no kids and I'm twenty years old. The pain upon insertion was horrible, but two hours later it was about as bad as a normal period. I was on the Depo shot before, but it made me very depressed and I would bleed for a full month just before I was due for my next shot. Now, I have had the cramps since I've gotten the IUD, and I actually just as of two days ago, stopped bleeding. But I understand that the cramping is probably caused by my body adjusting to it, and the bleeding wasn't that bad. I have been bleeding for three months, but only because of the Depo shot.
Now, my sex drive is amazing. I didn't even realize that I had lost it on the Depo shot, but a week after getting the IUD I was pretty much begging my boyfriend. lol I'm gaining weight, but I have always been 10-18 lbs underweight (not purposefully) so the 7 lbs are actually pretty good for me. If the cramps stop soon, I'd recommend this to anyone. I wouldn't recommend the Depo shot though. I really think my body just couldn't handle that many hormones at once.
I got my iud put in last friday..........im 18 years of age and never had a child. ive had pretty much every form of bc before, this was the last thing my doctor said i could have. I'm spending most of my time worshiping the porcelain gods, and no matter of pain medication is helping...in fact it seems to make it worse.
As i am typing this, i am actually screaming and crying in pain as i am "cramping" as they say. personally i think i preferred having my pmdd to this pain.....
Every time i "cramp"( i dont think of it as a cramp cuz it hurts way much worse) I get really hot and then throw up. Im not liking this at all. Every moment i still feel like its getting inserted...... i'm really not impressed and just want the pain to stop so i can move on with my daily life......
My friends think i should talk to the doctor or go to the hospital....
FUUUUUUUUUUUU THIS HURTS SO EFFING BAD I WANT TO CASTRATE THE DOCTOR WHO SAID THIS THING WOULDNT HURT! AUGH!!!!
ive taken hot shower, hot baths, ibuprofen, asprin, hot pads, herbal teas..........nothing is helping and it keeps getting worse! augh it just hurts so bad!
I got my IUD in last Friday also; I also had only c-section; was intense cramp which wore off as soon as I got of the bed; a good flow of blood and tappered off the next day, slight cramps after the procedure nothing to scream about. Now I have real light flow which i see only when I wipe after taking a peep. But this morning I got up I was great, then while in my 9:00 am meeting with my staff a massive cramp came from no where, and it continue, so i took two pain killers after the meeting and that helped a lot; but by 1:00 pm here it comes again and this time its more to the lower right side; I have a few Ovarian cyst so I guess it was them acting up. I took 4 pain killers 800mg which helped, I will be taking them sucker every 4 hrs, pain was too intense; then I call the Dr office, the nurse call me back saying, it can be one of the side effect, and the cramp can be due to the cyst, she ask me if i wanted to come in, but I think I need to wait it out, because my gut feeling is telling me its not serious, I just did it,and my body going thru the adjustment. And I need it because I have "dyfunction bleeding of the uterus" and i might want to have another kid, so I will not take out my uterus. The pain is gone for now, so I will see what happen by tonight
Its now 8:00pm and no pain so far after taking the last 4 pain pills, hope I have no more pain. Gosh they are horrible
I'm 22 and have had no kids. I had the Merina inserted today (about 5 hours ago). The procedure was painful! Sharp pains, and at the end I got hot and a little nauseous for a couple of minutes and had to catch my breath. After that I was pretty much fine. I walked the 10 minutes home from the office with pretty bad cramps (nothing worse than monthly menstrual cramps). My doc had me take misoprostol the night before and morning of, and 2 Aleve's before to help with the thinning of the cervix and pain. Now, I have minimal bleeding, and very light cramps.
According to my doctor, the extent of your pain and bleeding is how good the doctor performs the procedure. Most of his patients had little to no trouble, and short spotting periods of 7-14 days, while he has seen a couple of patients who had it done with another gyno, and they bled for 3 months.
I had an iud put in after my daughter was born. Had no problems with it at all. Three years later i had really bad cramps like shooting pains. It went on for months till I knew it had to be the iud. Went to the dr. She said that it had moved and it was not in the right place. It could cause alot of problems in this case. She took it out and I was great. 1 Year later (now) I got the same one put in and am having really bad pain. Not bleeding at all but the cramps are hell. Going to wait it out for a few weeks if things dont change for the good im never going to use the iud again.
im 15 an i have the mirena. and my obgyn had said that if you can get past the first 2-3 months(of cramping an unusual spotting) then your good. (: so yeah cramping in the first weeks is normal, but i did pass out 4 days after mine was inserted. so watch for the dizziness. lol
I had mine inserted on 6/24/2010 and played in a softball game an hour and a half later! The insertion hurt like hell, I screamed and crawled up the table but it was over in less than a minute. I have had no spotting but cramps on and off since the insertion,at times really bad. As far as I am concerned I can deal with cramping for a while as for the benefit of 5 years of birth control!

Also for those of you worried about sex, just wait the 24 hrs after insertion like the doctors suggest and than it was fine...
I just had my mirena inserted a couple hours ago. I am 22 and have never had children, I wasn't good at remembering bc pills and I gained weight on them, however had been on them for almost 5 years. I read a whole bunch on the net before I went and it probably made me more nervous. It wasn't that bad. I don't usually cramp during periods but this was just pretty much a bad bad bad cramp. It feels more weird because you can feel it through your abs sort of. The DR told me I did really good with the pain though, I have a pretty good tolerance. It still hurts now in my lower back and lower abdominal area and I've taken 2 advil which isn't doing much. But at least its just mild. The Dr told me cramping is only normal for a few days, more then that and I was to go back.They also told me it can cause false weight gain but it's just water retention. I would say to anyone reading this that is on the fence that they should probably stop and just go get it done, everyones experience is going to be different :)
I had my IUD inserted back in May after my husband and I exp a miscarriage and had to have a D&C procedure done. I have never been pregnant before and because we were still newly married figured it best to try birth control until we were ready for children again. My doctor said that the IUD would be okay because during the surgery they dilate your cervix to remove the "stuff" inside. So when it was inserted she told me that I may feel some strong cramping but to just breathe through it. Boy was she on the money that mess hurt like HECK!! After I cramped for 2-3 weeks str8 almost like the cramping with the miscarriage we are now 2 months in and bleeding comes and goes, cramps are sporadic, and I have lost MAJOR weight which for me isn't that good bc I weighed 110 at the time now down to 104. One of the biggest things is that I do notice some serious emotional and digestive woos. I have an appt July 27th so pray fully all is well and I just have to get through. But just so you know I was told by my doctor that some women never stop bleeding sadly :-(
I had my copper coil (IUD) inserted over 8 months ago. I am 27, and already have heavy periods, so expected heavier. But I got it done cause im sick of hormones type things. So - now, im still cramping and spotting pretty much everyday even after EIGHT MONTHS?! Is this right? I have had my doctor check it, and he just kinda dismissed it after a nurse looked to see if they could find the strings, and when she found them he gave it the all clear. Im confused as when I had it put in, the strings hung low, and now only the tips are exposed. Has it ridden up my womb? Is this whats causing the pain? Its really hurting everyday - i cant live like this... but I dont want to take it out unless absolutly neccersary. :(
Hey everyone,

I just had merina inserted 3 days ago.  I have been having really bad cramps also and took some perscription pain killers.  Since that was not really working I desided to take a muscle relaxent and this morning the cramps were practically gone.  
I just got the paragard on Tues, it's now thurs. I have had severe cramps where I have to do deep breathing to make it through them. I have been taking ibuprofen which helps some. 600-800 mg.

I have also been spotting the entire time as well. I've never had a baby, and if these cramps are even a tenth of what pregnancy birth is like, i'm NEVER having a baby! I'm looking forward to the cramps leaving.
i thought the pain of having it inserted was pretty awful myself, although I didn't throw up from it.  
It took 4 days for the cramping to go away and about 6 for the bleeding to stop.

I haven't had a baby and got the paragard. The IUD with no hormones, because my body is so sensitive to everything.
I am 33 and I have never had kids, not sure if I will, but haven't made my mind yet. I have been on birh control pills for several years and had my cell phone alarm go off every day, so I don't forget to take a pill. Just got fed up with it and turned to Mirena.
The incertion was terrible. My cervix was very tight and I was in pain. At first the doctor wasn't sure, if they could spread it. But they did, and they got the IUD in. I was about to pass out from pain several times. I was glad I brough my husband with me: he carreid me home. Right after the procedure I have a diarrhea from the pain, so my first walk was to the bathroom. I spent my first day in bed. I got my period the next day. It wasn't heavy at all. In two weeks I started bleeding again. It's still on and off, some days it doesn't even require paintiliners. The sex is fine, no pain. However, I do get cramps, it feels like bowl movement drive or a spasm in my anus. Quite wierd.
I am going for a check up ina week or so. Hopefull everything is fine. This forum was very helpful: I found many simularities with my symptoms.  
I came across this post by accident and have read everyone's experiences with IUD with great interest.  I am envious of the people that had an easy insertion and adjustment period and I wish the rest of you could talk to the butcher that inserted my first IUD.  There are docs out there that believe that IUD insertion is merely "uncomfortable" and a bit "crampy" and if you experience anything more it is in your head and your a wimp.  If you get a doc that writes you off in such a way, find a new one.  I had an extremely painful insertion that no painkiller could touch (it was like a knife in my gut and I almost passed out), probably because I have never had children, and my adjustment period lasted several months.  I had all kinds of fears that my IUD had perforated my uterus or moved somehow, but it really was just THAT painful to get accustomed to.  I stuck it out and have since had the Mirena removed at the five year mark and replaced.  Let me tell you, removal was also quite painful....but quick.  Fast shot of pain but no cramping.  I waited a couple of days to get the new one inserted and the pain was as bad as my first time.  HOWEVER....I didn't have cramping beyond the first day.  I would do it again because I am one of the ones that stopped having a period.  I still cycle hormonally with a bit of moodiness and sore boobs, but my body has no uterine lining to shed every month.  It has been fantastic!  Sex is great and worry free.  So, despite the horrendous pain of having my "virgin" cervix stretched for the IUD insertion I will do it again when my current IUD expires.....not having a period is just too awesome.
I will be 49 next wk nov 8th, I have a 30yr,old and a 20 yr old and I had my merina inserted in feburary 2010 for uterine fibroids and very,very heavy bleeding, now my period is half the amount which is a blessing, but I spot sometimes for 3 weeks out of the month at a time and have to wear panty liners all the time in case of an accident, which has happened more than once where I felt this licquid run straight down my pajama legs which was horrible. I also have a weird scent even though my pap smear came back normal 2x, last week 10/22/10 I woke up to excruciating pain in my lower right side, back and legs,I felt like I was going to die!!! I had to run to the bathroom because of loose stool and almost passed out 3 times, my son had to splash alcohol on my face to stop me from fainting,I also had weakness in both legs, I took 2 vicodens which did not help the pain, I took an 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour after that which knocked me out and I slept for approx 5 hours, when I woke up  I started bleeding slime which turned into a full blown period which was not due for another week and I'm STILL bleeding 13 days later with lots of clots and what looks like uterine lining, I went to my gyn's office yesterday and she sent me for a intra vaginal and pelvic sonogram to see what's going on. so we'll see because I'm seriously removing it due to the continous ooozing and spotting.
I had Merina inserted a week ago. I am 23, married, with no children. I had some apprehension at first because I read that it was mostly for women that have previously had children; however, my OBGYN assured me that it would be fine. The procedure itself was very painful for me, which I was told that it might be giving my "virgin uterus"; however nothing compared to the pain I felt after I returned home. I have NEVER experience cramping pain like that in my life. I started vomiting later that evening because the pain was so great and nothing I took (4 extra strength tylenol and 1 muscle relaxer) helped at all. Now, my cramps subsided for a day or two but I am experiencing cramps again today. I really hope they subside soon, I do not feel as though I can take much more.... I have also lost 6lbs since I had it inserted, is that normal??
I HAD ONE INSERTED FIVE YEARS AGO.  LAST THUR. I HAD IT REMOVED AND THE OB/GYN SAID IT WAS FAR UP MY CERVIX  I GIT MY CYCLE SO I HAD IT PUT BACK ON MON.  I WAS IN AWFUL PAIN THE FIRST DAY. BUT NOW ITS BEEN ALMOST TWO WEEKS AND I'M STILL HAVING MILD CRAMPING ON AND OFF IS THIS NORMAL? BECAUSE I NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS 5 YEARS AGO IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE NO COMPLAINTS UNTIL NOW.  COULD I BE HAVING THE PAIN BECAUSE HE HAD TO GO FAR UP MY CERVIX TO GET IT OUT?
I got the mirena about 6 months ago. During the first 2-3 months i had straight bleeding/spotting. After that and up to now i havent had any problems with bleeding, but for the past week i have been having cramping on and off the pain is mild to severe. Is this normal to be getting cramps now this late without bleeding iam starting to worry that iam pregnant???
I am the same as you and have always had a hard time remembering to take birth control pills and did not have luck with the patch... so i went over my options for different forms of birth control and I opted for the Mirena IUD. I got it inserted yesterday, and although i know it is different for each person, I, myself have never have had children and am 22. My doctor said that it would be normal to have cramping especially because of the fact that I have not had children.
When talking to my doctor about getting it inserted, they asked me to come in while i was on my period as i would be more 'open' and it would be easier for insertion, unfortunately my period came a week early and i did not have my period for the actual insertion. However, i was given two tablets to insert into my vagina and they made me open up and i actually started bleeding again because of it (this was normal as i had just finished my period)

Anyways, i got my IUD inserted yesterday, and like i said i know that each girl is different but it hurt alot... a lot a lot! ... i was given orange juice and advil after wards, but i decided to use perscription from my doctor as during my period i get terrible cramps, and advil normally doesnt have any effect on me... i felt fairly light headed after wards and very naseous, and had to sit in the doctors office for approx ten mins after because i felt like i was going to be sick (but didnt end up getting sick (phew))....

after i walked back to the car (in some dis-comfort) and got home and as soon as i walked in the door drew myself a bath... slept most of the day away and now here we are.

Its the day after, and I still do have some cramping but nothing i cant deal with. (it seems to come in spirts) but the cramping has went from a high "HOLY OUCH" to ...very mild. I am definitely still taking pain medication but it seems to be subsiding a bit.

I have been wearing a pad since yesterday, and did have some spotting yesterday (Fairly heavy)... but very minor bleeding today - however, the doctor said this was very normal and that it may be a nuisance but spotting may occur up to two months and periods may be irregular up to 3. but after that 30-70 percent of women do not have periods at all.

But yes, i am not going to lie the whole procedure was not pleasant, and i had severe cramping and discomfort that day, today i feel much better and am able to be at work and not be in too much discomfort.

For me, five years - is worth going through a couple days of discomfort.

but we will see how everything happens.
Well i Just Had my Mirena placed about 2 days ago and i have Slight Cramping and Light bleeding also i had sex the Very next day(the doctor said it was effective immediately)  it didnt make the Cramping worse its about the Same..
I absolutely agree with you... I had mine put in yesterday.  I have had 3 kids, and the insertion was extremely painful.  I also liken the pain to a labour pain than a period cramp.  Have a bit of spotting and now and then a "labour cramp that goes into the tops of my legs.. I really want this to work, because my reason for doing this was my life has become one big period.
I had My Mirena put in two years ago ive been feeling alot of cramping, bloating and tenderbreast for every two weeks since about a month ago. I checked my strings to see if they were there I did feel them,but what could be causing period pains every two weeks? Exspeacially after having it in for two years? Please help I need some advice.
Well i got mine One week ago and it wasn't so bad getting it. im 23 and no children and i mean it was somewhat painful but nothing Unbearable it was like 4 stings and that was all. i havnt cramped hardly at all and i havnt bleed once yet not even spotting. I find that im having a really easy time. i got this cuz it does not have estrogen in it. so no highbood pressure or mood swings YAY. and i usually only have a 4 day period to start with so my chances are good that it will stop fully. The Dr. left my strings long but she said in 2 months they should curl up around the cervices. Im so happy with my choice of Merina. I hope lots of other women decide to do this and have an easy time starting off like me. well one week down and only 4 years 11 months and 3 weeks to go :D  
i had one put in 5 days a go and it didnt hurt having it put in but omg the pain after with the cramps i tried a hot bath dosed up on pain killers and hot water bottle but i constantly feel like i need to go to the toilet and that (please exccuse me ladies) that i need to go for a poop , no idea why but im hoping this sorts its self out soon
your advice was very helpful. i'm 26 w/no kids. i had it inserted 4 days ago and my cramps are horrendous. motrin, ibuprofen, & midol aren't helping. i was going to take a muscle relaxer but was told not to because the uterus is a muscle. considering we didn't have to dialate much, why would it take a couple months for the cramps to go away? and today i feel like i need to push, so weird. insertion was bad on the 2nd cramp but after a few minutes it went away. after walking out however, i almost passed out b/c of sudden dizziness, nausea, light headedness, & cold sweats. I'll follow the advice and stick it out at least a month like some of you ladies said, but honestly I think I'd rather wait until my appt. to get my tubes tied. Whew.
I had mirena put in exactly a week ago. I am still experiencing some bad cramps every once in a while but I did not bleed at all. I have not had any kids and have never been pregnant so it is probably just from the stretching. If you have a high fever or any other unexpected symptoms go to the doctor or even the ER.
Hello! I am 23 and I have no children and I have had the Mirena for 11 months. When I got it inserted it was extremely painful! For those of us that haven't experienced child birth it was really really bad. I found out later that they recommend you take a double does of motrin an hour before you get it inserted. The first month was awful... I was cramping and spotting constantly. But after your first week it does calm down a bit. after the second month I could completely forget about it. I had no cramping, spotting, no periods, no nothing. It was great!!!! But now I am in my 11th month and I am starting to get cramps and a little bit of spotting. I was told it was normal every so often to experience this because your uterus isn't cleaning itself like normal. But if it lasts longer than 7 days to see a doctor again. I haven't had to see my doctor again. It always goes away. HOWEVER! You have to be careful with constipation..... get fiber in your diet regularly. If you get constipated it can press against your uterus and cause cramping and spotting.  Advil, Midol, and Mortin are all Great for the cramps! The  first 2 weeks I took 1 1/2 dose it usually lasted me 12 hours. But don't do that at night before bed. You get crazy dreams. If you have anymore questions you can always email me.. hhurley3.***@**** :) hope this helps some.
I had the IUD placed on Friday @ 9 am & by 12:30 I was having terrible cramping. I had taken Ibuprofen before I went to the office to have it inserted thinking I would get a head start on the cramping that I read about on the mirena website. I took another 800 mg dose @12:30 & neither dose helped. I ended up calling my doc & asking her about the severe cramping (to the point I couldn't focus) & she called me in Tylenol with codeine which only eased the cramping somewhat & I'm someone who hares taking medication!! I have had 2-3 doses of the prescription meds each day since. The bleeding is minimal & I'm not concerned with it, just the severe cramping that seems to come & go to the point it doubles you over :( my boyfriend is a surgeon & has compared by symptoms to actual contractions, I wouldn't know as I have never had a baby. All I know is that I switched from the patch because the spotting was happening more frequently to the point in which I had to wear a liner everyday & it became annoying as I'm only 27 years old & shouldn't need protection everyday....but I'm thinking I'd rather go back to the patch with no pain & the bleeding than deL with this ridiculous pAin fir who knows how much longer!!!
Hi everyone I'm 47 and had a Mirena put in 8 days ago for very heavy bleeding and pain due to fibroids, one very large one. My gynecologist tried to do a hystoscopy before but would not proceed as it was too painful because I had not had children,she then booked in to have both the hysterscopy and Mirena fitted together under general anasthetic which were done last Friday. My doctor gave me tablets to delay my period for this all to go ahead, I did have some bleeding after the proceedure and 3 days later my period started so have been bleeding quite heavy since with bad cramping but not as much bleeding as my period is normally. I have had cramping since having the mirena but really bad during my period and now today which is day 8 the pain is bad again, low down and in my bottom. I'm trying to give my symtoms so that others maybe able to relate. Today I have like having it removed and do not know if I want to put up with for months on end until it gets better as that would be worse than what I was going through with my periods! But will proberbly perserve for a little time longer, will keep you posted.
Hi im 19 years old and just got the Merina put in four days ago it was extremly painfull for me he had to stop three times because i was in so much pain. After i got home the pain was 200 times worse than my normal menstral cycle cramps. I would take ibprhone 600 mg. two at a time six times a day and they never took away the pain. My doctor also didnt tell me how to check the strings and i dont know what this pain is about because im a girl who normaly can take the pain and this is unbarable helppp!!!
I am 27 years old and have never had a child. I chose to have the Mirena inserted today because I felt my BC pill caused weight gain and lack of a sex drive. Plus having to remember to take it everyday was a pain!

I spent weeks researching and my sister-in-law and a good friend both had one so I relied on their experience. One said the insertion was incredibly painful but her cramping and spotting went away very soon. The other said the insertion was merely uncomfortable but the cramping and spotting lasted 3 months.

I have an incredible gyno and she was very detailed in her explanation to me. She told me to call on the first day of my period and they'd bring me in sometime that week. I called and they booked me the next day. She called in a prescription of cytotec to soften and slightly dialate my cervix to make insertion easier. They also told me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen 45 minutes before my appt the next day.

I showed up and they made me pee in the cup to make sure I wasn't pregnant even though I was on my period. I was then taken to an exam room. The doctor basically said the more I relaxed and tried to keep my muscles relaxed the easier insertion would be so I spent a few seconds taking my deep breathings to relax. She put some lidocaine (numbing) lubricant on the speculum and inserted it and waited about 30 seconds for the numbing to kick in. After that she clamped my cervix which I barely felt and used the "sound" to measure my uterus then inserted the Mirena. Literally from the moment the speculum was inserted till she pulled everything out was about 2.5 minutes. I felt a sharp but not unbearable cramp when the IUD was placed and it subsided to a dull cramp within a few minutes. When I got up off the table there was a lot of blood and I'm not sure if it was my period blood or from the insertion.

I spent the rest of the day home in bed with dull cramps. I hope they go away soon but I could handle a few months for the benefits of this device.
I have had min in for two years and my bleeding stopped completely except or an occasional spot or two. I have never had children. I have severe endo and severe cramping and bleeding so my gyn had me try this.  helped with the heaving flow but it seems I still have the severe cramping. ugh. I am thinking of getting this thing out and having an entire hysterectomy. and forgetit ugh.  I am eating tylenol and vicodon likd candy this weekend. :( OUCH
Lori,
I have had my Mirena for a year and a half now (no children).  Like you, the insertion was TERRIBLE and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.  My cramping got better after a few weeks but the cramps are very intense.  
The pros definatly outweigh the cons with my Mirena.  I used to spot all month long and that went away completly by month two.  
Now the only cramping I have is when when I have my menstral cycle (with not blood).  

The reason I am on this blog is because I wanted to know if anyone else experiences cramps during their menstral cycle-I never bleed.  Normally I only have 2 or three intense cramps for the month and it's over.  This month (and about 6 months ago) I have very intense cramps for three days now.  The last time I had craming this long I went to the doctor and she said everything looked normal but that I may have a cyst rupturing which was normal.  Has any one else experienced this?  What was the solution?  I do not want to take the IUD out-I feel like the benefits are definatly worth a few cramps per month...but three days is making me worry a little bit.

I would also like to add...for those of you who are considering the IUD and have never had a baby-be SURE to ask your doctor for a "cocktail".  A nurse told me about it AFTER the doctor inserted the IUD.  I was very disappointed in my doctor (who never had a baby or IUD) for not telling me how painful it was.  She described it as "uncomfortable".  The nurse I spoke to said that she had two babies by c-section and had the IUD inserted after.  She said that for those of us who have not had our cervix desensitised a cocktail is suggested.  You will need someone to drive you home after the insertion.
I have had the Mirena for over 3 years.  I have no children, and i havent really had any problems.  I get a little cramping around the time i would be starting.

I spot sometimes but not often.. probably 2 times a year for some reason, not even enough for a tampon.

when i 1st got it inserted i had spotting and cramping for about 4 months or so..

i would TOTALLY recommend it to everyone i know, only because i was one of those that couldnt even get up when i had my period the cramps were so bad... i have no period and i have little cramping.
its nice not having to buy tampons. they get expensive.

:)
Hi, I got my merina iud at the biggining of oct... The cramps thay day was really bad after the next day I was fine but sense oct 28 I have been cramping bad and spotting. Its now nov 7th and im still in real bad pains and still spotting... I really dont wanna take it out but im scared cause I already have 4 kids ages 13,9,8 and 7 and there very expensive so another baby is not something I wanna deal with now. what should I do???
these are helpful posts, Im considering taking mine out Monday which will be one week...I dont have any kids, and insertion was very painful,  my body rejected the insertion 3 times before it stayed, it hurt VERY bad.  The cramps were so bad it took me a while to get up and actually drive home. I was hot, sweaty and had to call in sick to work, when my OBGYN said I'd be fine to go to work and it would only hurt a little bit, now almost a week later Im still in so much pain, my back is killing me, I have bad cramps and Im spotting alot and there is bloody discharge...yuck. this ***** :(
I had my first IUD put inserted when I was 19, no pregnancies and I had severe cramps, I usually don't vomit even when sick with the flu, but I was very nauseated. Then I went into shock, chills sweating. It scared me. I was finally able to move since the pain was so bad after an hour so I could walk to the car. I bled a little but not to bad. The pain lasted a few days by then when my fiancé said he could feel the string and it would poke him I thought I would try a new doctor and check to see if it was okay. When my new Gyn checked it had lodged and given me an infection, took it out and got a shot in he bum. I recently had another one put in, hopefully his one wouldn't be bad and it would be inserted properly, nope. Oct 11 I went in, worse pain, my hands went numb and cramped to where the nurse could not open them. The pain with insertion was horrible. I proceeded to go into shock and sweat with chills, cramps, and my arms goin numb with my hands cramping to stay stiff. I had a hard time moving my body therefore did not move for a long period of time and in that time I got extremely nauseated. When I finally could move, after an hour and a half, I put on my jeans and walked as fast as I could to the bathroom, still cramping so I wasn't vey fast, and had horrible diarreha. Then I was able to load in the car, thank god my roommate drove, and took a hot bath which helped a little but not much. After 3 hours I was finally able to not have extreme cramps, but still had moderate cramping. I was bleeding a little bit but not much. I did have sex not the next day after insertion but the day after and it was fine. Little pain, they were not very large I might add, and no increased bleeding. A few days after that I started to bleed worse Almost to my reg flow which is moderate. It was light and has been ever since bleeding. I have had sex since then with someone that was larger in size and I have noticed increased bleeding. It did hurt a little when they hit the back or as I say bottomed out, even when it was gentle.  I have not noticed increased weight gain but I have broken out more on my face with deeper pimples and zits. I have not been moody but without the IUD I did not have mood swings either. My sex drive has increased like crazy. My hair etc is fine but I do take per natals and other vitamins to promote this. I hav noticed random cramping constipation and bloating much worse than I had before when I get bad cramps. I have also noticed that I can smell much better as far as myself. It's really annoying because you never know if anyone else can, which I've been told I'm fine.... So, as far as now I am wanting to take it out. I can feel the string btw. I would defiantly not recommend this form of birth control for sensative women or women that have not had kids! I would say that I have loved he ring and you can usually just insert a new one when you are suppose to get your period and only have three a year, talk to your doc though. Same with pills... And tracking my period with an app to not have sex during my highest fertility.  however I still use condoms because the IUD will make you more prone to infection be it an STD or regular yeast infection etc. btw yogurt on a tampon works great! Condoms when used with proper lubes for then do work and DO NOT break. Also I have used VCF vaginal contraceptive film which works great. You can put it in a few hours before you have sex. My ex and I used this and never had an issue. I am going to leave it in and try one more month but obviously if it is not working properly after that it needs to be taken out,  some people are allergic to different meds, your body might not like the IUD.
I had my Mirena put in October 18.  I was lucky that I was having surgery to remove a polyp so I had the IUD put in under anesthesia at the same time in the OR.  I woke up with cramps, but I had had my cervix dilated for the surgery, so that wasn't unexpected.  I am 29 and have never been pregnant, and I have had a LOT of cramping since.  I had one good week since the insertion, and then right back to cramping.  My doc and NP told me that some women can take up to six months to fully adjust to the IUD, and that the cramping should get better.  I just had an ultrasound today to check and everything looks fine, so I think my uterus is just having a really hard time getting used to this.  I am not ready to give up though, the potential benefits are too great.  I just take anti-inflammatories every day right now.  I'm wondering if anyone else is still cramping one month + into this?
i went in for my 6 week check up and the dr said its fine. this was nov 6th but not nov 28 im having super bad cramps and heavy bleeding, what shld i do?
I had my Mirena for five years and just had it removed and a new one replaced. During my first Mirena, I experienced terrible pain with both insertions and about of week of labor-like cramping. With my first Mirena, I developed a painful cyst in my uterus. I had spotting for the first month but afterward, had no period for five years. Even with all this, I would still highly recommend the Mirena. No gross periods, no mood swings, no monthly worry of pregnancy, no wieght gain: worth it for me.

I can offer this advice to anyone considering to have the Mirena inserted: Go to a doctor who is experienced with inserting Mirena. The procedure can be drawn out and more painful if they don't know what they are doing when trying to fit it properly in your uterus. Before going, take 1000 mg ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation, and a Xanax for your anxiety and to relax your body. The more relaxed you are, the easier the insertion. Also, bring along a distraction- your iPod, iPhone, a magazine-something to distract you during the procedure. Slow exhales during the more painful parts of the procedure, just like during labor, can help. Just know it will be over quickly- normally about five minutes. Try to have it done when you can go home and relax afterward. Keep the ibuprofen going, and use a heating pad when you need it on your lower abdomen.
I just had my mirena put in on the fifth, and I still have really bad cramping but way lighter bleeding that I would have had with a normal period.
before I got the mirena I would have to wear two super tampons and a pad and have to change every couple of hours. plus I had my period almost all the time.
I'm only seventeen and since i've never had a kid I'm assuming thats why it hurts so much.
Except the pain isn't constant, it comes and goes frequently...and when I get the cramps I can barely stand it hurts so bad. Is that normal?
-Kaelin
ok, I have the same problem! I have been spotting and not too much bleeding....BUT, I feel the CRAMPS!! I too feel the pain more to the right side.I get scared b/c the pain is like "INFLAMATION" and "BURNING"....!! I was glad when I read ur post b/c I know I aint alone and NOT the only one who is feeling the pain!
I am 21 and am an EMT. I have never had a child, and had the Merina IUD inserted 8 days ago. I am still experiencing awful cramps that bring me to my knees at the most random moments. they come and go, but when they arrive, they catch me off guard completely. I am also having random bleeding... heavy and bright red at times  but light and dark brown/goopy at others...
I have had my iud coil in 1 wk n there cramps are like im in full blown labour, I also get hot flushes and very bad back pain. I suffer from deppression n feel it is makin me worse. I have 3 babies under four n I hate the pain n stressness from it.
I just got my Mirena insterted this morning.  The cramps from the sound and the actual insertion were the worst I have ever felt.  I don't have kids and my husband and I didn't want kids for 5 years so I figure this was the perfect option.  I have had some bleeding but real light nothing like my regular cycle, and I've been cramping but not like when it was put in.  I have a very low tolerance for pain, so I'm hoping for a less painful outcome :/
I have had the iud almost 4 years now and I have also had no children.  My cramps are still horrible to this day.  They come up slowly and go out with a bang.  Then I am weak the next day.  Not sure why but has anyone else had this problem with the mirena after having it this long
I got the iud last week ive been having severe cramps and ive been bleeding so I am now worried. I have never had kids so I am considering having it removed
I had mirena inserted about a week ago.  My doctor told me my cramps should only last a few days and I'm on pain meds for it because anything else doesn't work. How long will I cramp for!? Is there a chance my uterus wall was punctured or there is an infection?
Rest assured that cramps and bleeding (including very dark and thick bleeding) is completely normal! Especially if you have not had kids. I got the Mirena placed last August and had the same symptoms, the same issues- after about a week, I got cramps in the evening, a very thick (and scary looking!) bleeding in the mornings and worried that something was wrong. I went to my doctor and she informed me that my uterus is getting used to this new thing in my body. Your uterus is a HUGE muscle and will tighten and release around the Mirena, which explains the cramps. The bleeding and discharge is from the hormones that Mirena is producing. What you feel is normal and will last about 4 weeks. Be patient with the process, it takes some time. But in the begining of September, all my symptoms left and I am now happy with the results. I hope this helps!
I am still having a lot of cramping (requiring medications on a regular basis) after 3 and a half months.  My bleeding is almost nonexistent, but the cramping is a daily issue I have to deal with.  My doctor has told me it can take six months for the body to adjust to the IUD, especially in women who have not had kids.  So, 4 weeks may be enough time for some women's symptoms to go away, but not for all of us.
Of course we will all have different symptoms and I am no doctor and would never want to diagnose someone through the internet. I'm simply assuring those that have recently had the Mirena placed that spotting and cramps are a normal adjustment you have to endure. Your weight, whether you smoke or not, your eating habits- these all come into effect on cramps. The fact that you have had cramps so long, and need pain medicine might mean you need to change your exercise and eating habits. I'm sad to hear you have been in pain for so long. That's difficult.
I had my mirena put in  on jan 8,2012 and im bleeding a little still and its time for my period but my cramps r worse than when i was giving birth i had 2 kids but i had them 10 years ago. i dont want to sound stupid if i freak out at the doctors office but i was just wondering if this is normal. im a medical asst so i know our bodies have to get use to objects like this so i just wanted to hear other peoples opinion on the matter.
I had Merina put in on the 24th of January and it's the 12th of February today. It's been almost a whole month now and I swear my cramps feel like I'm in labor. It's horrible!! My period lasted over two weeks and now I'm spotting again. Is it worth it?
I just had the Mirena placed today and it was the most painful experience I have had, and I am still experiencing a lot of cramping and pinching pain. I would imagine that after 2 weeks of having it placed that you should go back to your OBGYN and have the do an ultrasound to confirm that the Mirena hasn't moved or is coming out. I pln on going to mine ot have them double check. I don't take cramping lightly. Good Luck
how do u know if u hve an infection? im 20 n i got mine inserted last yr n when i was 19. n idk much abt birht control... im thinking about switching bcz i get like an uncomfortable pain around my waist... kinda like mentrueal cramps... bt its just uncomfortable n it dnt hurt bad.. i just wantd some suggestions on wht i shud do from women who hve more experience in this... i only had mine since july 2011.email me at ***@**** or at ***@****..
I was given the literature on mirena, read through their website, and was told by the doctor that there would be cramping the first day. The pamphlet you're given states that if pain has not subsided within 30 minutes to contact your doctor. I have a high pain tolerance and assumed that the 800mg ibuprofen would be sufficient and I would be able to work after the procedure. With this is mind, I had the iud inserted early morning 2/15. The initial pain of insertion was excruciating, but every woman is different and having been told the cramping should only last the day I went to work. I left after an hour in nauseating pain, took hydrocodone, which didn't even take the edge off. I waited another 24 hours before going to the hospital where I was given Norco. The pain is now manageable.

I read the literature and had no reason to think my doctor was lying. Everyone is different and having twins would make a difference in your experience. I found your ignorant comment insulting and unhelpful.
I am 21 and i had the merina inserted and i'm having the same problems.... what can i do!!! I've gone into surgeyr twice now to remove endo and now i've got a merina put in and i have been getting all the side effects and more!!! nothing has changed ;(
I had the Marina fitted on the 14/03/12, and it was the most pain i have ever felt in that area! i'm 18 and have no children. I nearly passed out during the procedure however, 15minutes after it was done i was ok to walk home with my partner, in a lot of pain but was able to walk. its nearly been a week now and the pain has been on and off worse that period pain (and i do suffer from them badly as it was) but when i get the cramps i cant walk, and sometimes it acually feels like the cramps are moving down the sides of my vagina which is really horrible. When the Family Planning Nurse done the procedure she noticed that i had a slanted womb! which is worrying me now due to the pain that i am receiving. I have been consipated, and have been suffering hot and cold sweats. im spotting a little bit which does not bother me, its the cramps that i dont think i can deal with anymore!

Is it worth getting it looked at or is this normal?