Methotrexate, ectopic pregnancy and bleeding
I have had two doses of Methotrexate administered by a needle. Between doses, the embryo grew from 2.8 cm to 5.8 cm in a span of a week. My Bhcg went from 2600 down to a little over 900. Was at the hospital under observation but have been released. This is my first night home, and I am concerned about what can happen. Experienced a fainting spell while under observation, low blood pressure after, but since then went up. Still ight headed, bleeding light to moderate, bright red, no tissue or clots. Slight cramping in my left side (where ectopic was discovered). Does anyone have any similar experiences or experienced this? What was the outcome? Am I just paranoid, or am I in grave danger at this point? ALL honesty is respected, will not get offended. Thank you
Hi everyone,
First off all im new to this forum reading through your storys takes me back to my ectopics ( iv had 3 & im currently going through a miscarrage).
My first ectopic i didnt even know i was preg id done preg tests all neg but bled for about 4weeks and was in horrible pain i went to my local walk in centre and was told it was a bad period go home and rest 2days later i couldnt stand the pain furthur so went to the A&E dept there i had an ultrasound and wastold id had an ectopic pregnancy and that it had burst 2hrs later i was in theatre i lost alot of blood during the op and my right tube removed i had a laprotomy which was very painfull for months after.
To cut a long story short i had 2 ectopics after this and the meth injection the first one i had one dose the 2nd 2 doses.
After this i was told it was near enough impossible that i would conceive naturally again so we opted for ivf i was due to start my first cycle 2 weeks ago when i did a routine preg test and nearly fainted when it had 2 lines, unfortunatly i started spotting last week and went to a&e i had a ultrasound and they found a 4-5 week gestational sack there was no free fluid but unfortunatly not 24hrs later my hcg has halfed not 24hrs later so iv been told im miscarrying.
This is a heart wrenching experience as weve never got this far before although im very upset im hopeful one day i will give birth!

My thoughts are with all the ladys going through this dificult time, god bless x
Well, I've never written in here, but I can relate to the stories.  I had an ectopic pregnancy in July, which resulted in the removal of my right tube.  I was told I was having another one in late October of this year.  I went in and was given a d&c.  After that horrible incident, the results came back that there was no fetal tissue and an empty sac.  I was given two mtx injections.  When this occurred, my hcg was 12000+.  On day 4, my numbers were 18000+, and on day 7, they had dropped to 15000+.  During this time, I didn't start having pains until about 10 days post-injection.  They were excruciating, and only in my lower back and left abdomen area.  I've been told to go back today and get my hcg levels again.  I haven't had any other symptoms except for the recent pains.  I haven't spotted or had any bleeding throughout this entire procedure.  What's scary is that during my first ectopic, I didn't have any pain, but the doctors told me that the embryo was big enough to burst my tube at any moment.  I am constantly paranoid and worried about the symptoms.  I will most likely be scheduled for another ultrasound and set of shots before Thanksgiving.  This experience can leave a person feeling less than because of all of the complications.  I am blessed to have children already, but it doesn't make it hurt any less when you lose one.  I am strongly considering having the doctors give me a tubal on my remaining left tube - I don't know if I can handle going through this again.
Hey ladies i am glade im not alone im 23 years old and just found out last wends that i had a possible eptopic preganacy, was in the worst pain imagineable and went to the er and thats when the told me i was prego, sent me to the womens health clinic near me and did test said that i was only 2 weeks and that the levels were increasing normally , that was monday this week and then on wed i wound up with the most unbearable pain the emited me to the hospital for obsorvation and decided that they cant find anything in my tubes but theres nothing in the uterse either, my levels went from 1400 to 800 and then back up to 1000 in 2 days finally gave me the shot of methotrexate was fine and release now i have the same pain in my left side and it hurts to lay down or even sleep ... nothing seems to be helping... bleeding is on and not to be graphic but i did ask for information about the shot before hand and understood the side effects... said that there should be bleeding like a preiod and cramping.. but god the cramping was like hell. and the bleeding cant make its mind up normally with my period i go threw a pad every 1-2 hours depending but here im not even going threw 1 every 4 hours.... its got me a little worried .. bleeding seemed to stop well not stop just not coming out .. and i cant go to the bathroom *2* and i hade some shoulder pain... and of course being a holiday the docs officce is not open im deff going to call her tomorrow since i just got out of the hospital yesterday... just very new to this ...this was our first preg and didnt expect to get prego.... just scared dont want to have surgery thats why i opt for the shot.. just hoping i dont have to get another one ... the side effects are not as bad as i thought but i feel just like crap..... best way to describe it beside the constant nagging pain in my left side.. what should i do im worried..thank you ladies and hope all is well:D --annie--
did you get my big long message??
Please could you post it to the community if you did and know how?
I've never been on this site before tonight but want to be in the community and think I just sent it to you by mistake!!
hope you feel better soon, I don't !
Lizzy ( 3rd time lucky?)
nope didnt get anything:D sorry
ive completely stopped bleeding as of Thursday... and wednesday my beta was 190... i will go back again this coming wednesday for another beta test... hopefully its close to 0....
I have been on many sites while I was going through my ectopic pregnancy and noticed that no one is the exact same. So here is my history and hope it will help others-
Dec 3 10- had a positive pregnancy test
Dec 5 10- started to bleed bright red
Dec 6 10- went to doctors took a pregnancy test that came back negative and then got blood work done (bleeding now was brown)
Dec 7 10- Bhcg levels came back at 78
Dec 9 10- Told I was having a miscarriage
Dec 11 to 21 - bhcg levels rised to 900 had internal ultrasound done and found nothing
Dec 22 10 - went to hospital with mild cramps (still bleeding bright red but slowly) Did another internal ultrasound and saw a small mass in right tube but could not know if it was ectopic or bowel. Received Methotrexate by needles, one in each thigh.
Dec 23-31 - bhcg levels dropped by 15% from 1700 after shot to 1400
Jan 1 to 7 - Bhcg levels went down to 345
Jan 8 11 - Had horrible pains and went back to hospital. They found some fluid in my belly and thought it was a slow rupturing of my fallopian tube. Found out it was not and was given another shot of methotrexate because my bhcg levels went up from 345 to 421.
Jan 11 11 - released from hospital
Jan 12 11 - horrible pains and felt faint went back to hospital. They told me that it may be the metho starting to work. My bhcg levels went down to 231 and my hemoglobin levels were good which means I was not bleeding inside my body. They gave me pain killers and came home.

This has been a very long process and very scary. The nurse at the hospital told me that they don't like ectopic pregnancies because they are very unpredictable. I am currently at home after a week off work hoping for these pains to go away. I feel for anyone that has to go through this.
This is just a continued post...
17/01-21/01 - went back to work but was very tired
25/01 - blood work taken. HCG levels are done to 80
23/01 to 30/01 - Had cramps all week. Starting strong but went mild during the week and now just a little bit. Will get my blood tested again tomorrow

I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy in my right fallopian tube 8 days ago.  It is my first pregnancy, I'm 32, married last year, I was approximated 7.5 weeks along - the mass was 2.9cm, weak fetal heart tones were measured and my HCG level was 21,400.  I observed some bright red spotting and mild cramping on the right side, so arranged for a same day doctors appointment which was at a different office than my regular OBGYN as they had no availability that day (I just wanted peace of mind as my bleeding and pain was not severe enough to warrant an ER visit).

I was offered either a methotrexate shot or surgery, but the doctor recommended trying methotrexate first.  As we do not have children yet, I opted for the shot, as it seemed this was most likely to preserve my fertility.  I called my regular doctor and got a blood test on day 6 and it was up slightly to 22,100.  No change in the size of the mass and no internal bleeding.  She was still very keen to get me into surgery, but I requested 1 more methotrexate shot as I have read many people require 2 (especially with such a high HCG level).  I actually have had minimal symptoms from both shots, so far at least - mild brown colored spotting the day after, some pain in the area of the mass, but nothing severe.  I worry this indicates it's not working for me, but I know that the levels often rise before they drop, so it's not really clear what's happening if we only have results from day 1 and 6.

I'm getting tested again in a couple of days, 4 days after my second shot.  I really hope my levels have dropped and I can avoid surgery, especially as my doctor her says she will just remove the tube (the first doctor I saw said if he performed the surgery he would try and remove the ectopic and seal to the tube so it can be used in the future).  Actually, because of this and various other info she's given me that doesn't tie in with other things I've read I'm considering going to someone else as I'm not sure I feel 100% trust in her.

I've read all the posts and it's very useful to here others experiences.  However, most people seem to have much lower HCG levels than me when diagnosed.  Has anyone had luck with methotrexate with HCG levels at 20,000+ ?  How many shots did it take for it to be reducing?  Also, has anyone had successful treatment with methotrexate without any side effects?  I'm sorry about all the pain and bleeding everyone has had, but am worried my lack of these symptoms mean my HCG is not reducing and the treatment is ineffective with me.  We are just hoping the tube does not rupture this weekend before I get another blood test on Tuesday and find out whether this is working or I should have surgery.

Thanks for any help and advice people can offer me.
This is a follow-up posting from my previous entry a couple of days ago.

A second dose of methotrexate cause a huge decrease in my HCG levels from 22,000 down to 14,000 in just 4 days, which is good news, after the worrying initial rise.  Seems a second dose was definitely needed with my higher than average starting HCG levels, but my doctor is confident I can avoid surgery altogether if I rest.  Obviously I need the weekly bloodtests until my levels drop down to zero.  I also had moderate very localized pain the day after the second dose.  It worried me at the time, but after reading this, it makes me think I was feeling the medication working:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/methotrexate-treatment-of-tubal-and-interstitial-ectopic-pregnancy

Pain after treatment — Mild abdominal pain of short duration (one to two days) six to seven days after receiving the medication is also common. The pain may be due to tubal abortion or tubal distention from hematoma formation and can usually be controlled with acetaminophen. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs should be avoided because a clinically significant drug interaction with MTX occurs in some patients taking both drugs.
Occasionally pain may be severe, but women with severe pain who are hemodynamically stable often do not need surgical intervention. As an example, a review of 56 women with abdominal pain severe enough to be evaluated in the clinic or emergency department, or requiring hospitalization, found that only eight patients subsequently required surgery
I'm so glad I found this forum! I'm only 21 yrs old, 1st pregnancy and is an ectopic one.. :(((

I found out I was pregnant on (Saturday) March 05, 2011 because I was late on my period and took 2 home pregnancy tests. Both positive. I couldn't believe it, my fiance and I weren't protecting ourselves for around 2yrs and I NEVER got pregnant, I was at the point, I thought I wasn't able to have kids. I went to the Doc on Tuesday (March,08) to confirm with  a blood test that I really was pregnant and it came back positive (6weeks pregnant). I've never been happier in my life, no one in my family has ever had a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy so, I never been truely informed or never had  lots of knowlegde on either. But I wasn't even thinking about that, I thought I was a regular prgnant woman with a healthy embryo growing inside. I informed my family and friends of my pregnancy and in only less than a week my fiance and I were already planning and talking about all the new changes in our lives. On Sunday (march 13) we went to our 1st Dr's visit, lots of blood tests and we talked to the nurse since it was too soon to see the Doc, or to try an ultrasound. (It's rare for them to do an ultrasound before10weeks of being pregnant) Everything was going fine until i woke up in the middle of the night as usual to pee on Tuesday morning around 4:30AM, I noticed 3-4 drops of blood (very small nothing big deal) But I freak out and I'm the type of person that needs to know that everything is ok, so I called the clnic and the Doc "on call" for that night explained to me that I could be having a miscarriage. i freaked out even more and we rushed to the ER, there they checked my HCG and they were at 1754, then took me for a pelvic ultrasound (vaginal) and found NOTHING. I was devastated, almost fainted when got up from the ultrasound bed, they set me down on a wheelchair and took me back to the ER room, my fiance and I were both very sad. Only us that've been thru this feel and know how depressing and hopeless it could be. At this point when the ER DR. came back in the room to explain what was going on, he said that we could be having a possible miscarriage, to go home and pretty much WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPEND, (are you serious???) oh and to also followe up with my ob/GYN. (OMG!!!!!!!)) I can't explain how broken my heart was at this point...I've cried so much, there are NO WORDS that can express....

That same day we got home around 8:30AM, and we both were looking for answers, I googled everything on miscarriages and tried to get this thru my head. I would ask my self, "if it's a miscarriage and sooner or later I will abort, and the ultrasound it's not showing anything, not even a sac and I'm 6weeks, what its there to abort??? this can't be right!!!) so the next day on WED (March, 16) I called the clinic and explained what happend they told me to come in, so I could see a Dr. and then the Dr. would order an ultrasound. I told them I could not keep waiting I was concered that this could be an ectopic pregnancy and they send me to an ultrasound specialist. There they found my baby very closed to my ovary on the right side in my fallopian tube. Sent me to the ER right away for a methotrexate injection. Today is Friday second day after the shot, still no cramping, no bleeding...nothing, just sadness and lots of thinking, I'm now afraid of getting pregnant again, I've heard stories of woman that've had only ectopic pregnancies, one after another...This is very scary and I do want a family of my own one day. Now that I've read many of your posts I feel better and a little more prepare for what's coming, Docs, really don't explain things very detailed...they do say that you might pass it with a menstrual period  or your body will desorbed it. But all the bleeding for a month or more..they say nothing about that.

I'm calling the clinic today to schedule an appt asap, I need to know if the fetus still alive, could it keep growing after the shot? I don't want to risk it. also to check my blood count...
At least now I know that I can get pregnant, but it really is alittle traumatizing after going thru this, and I have not even finished the whole process....
Best of luck to women in this same situation, Get an ultrasound as soon as you know you're pregnant, pevic ultrasounds can tell more, when early in the pregnancy, the ER just didn't do a good job this time for me, but fight for i and go to a specialist and make sure you're baby is in the right place or at least the sac if it's too soon to hear a heartbeat.
WE will get thru this, I have faith and hope! we are strong.

lis

Thanks for sharing your story, sometimes every little detail counts and can help another individual. I'm glad your HCG levels went down after that second shot...I'm guessing by now you should be feeling better?? If you read this and can reply...please tell me how long did it take for you to ctully start bleeding....if you can continue to tell us how everything went for you.

Thank you.
Hi Lis21,

Actually, 6 days after the second methotrexate shot things went badly.  I got pain, felt extremely lightheaded, and knew something was seriously wrong.  My husband rushed me to the emergency room and an ultrasound showed I had internal bleeding and had ruptured.  I ended up having emergency surgery and they removed that one tube entirely.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  I bled, including some clotting, for about a week afterwards.  I feeling back to normal now, physically at least - exercising, etc.

I just read your full post.  Did the second methotrexate shot work?  Are your level down?  The problem in my situation was they found to fairly far along so were "late" to start treatment - really frustrating given I had called the doctors several times wanting my first appointment earlier.
Hi, britGalinMS

Thanks so much for coming back and replying!!!
I'm so sorry your tube ruptured, thank God you're husband was there and took you to the ER right away. I can't believe that even after the second shot and your HCGs were going down, your tube still ruptured!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? This is such a delicate experiense to go thru and anything can happen at any time!!! Good thing is that you're feeling better now!! ,another thing is that thankfully we have 2fallopian tubes. How do you feel now about trying to conceive again? (if is not too personal!) I'm personally really scare but I really want a family of my own!

I've only had 1shot so far, went to go see the Dr. yesterday and she preformed a vaginal check with her fingers to see if by her pressing I would have pain. Pressed on my uterus and around that right side were everything is happening, she said that if anything was wrong after the shot... by her pressing, I would be in a lot of PAIN. I didn't feel any at all, but I'm till trying to get an ultrasound as soon as possible because that its what can realy tell it like it is. She asked me to wait on the ultrasound at least a week after the shot, so this WED I'm going in, and hopefully they get to perform one. Oh and they also did some blood drawing to check on my HCG levels, I will have the answer to that tomorrow. I can only hope for things to go the way they should, and keep waiting and waiting...I still have no cramps, no bleeding....nothing yet.

Thanks again, talk to you soon....
Hi again Lis21,

Yes - it was very lucky my husband was around when I ruptured.  It happened so suddenly and unexpectedly - one moment I was sitting on the sofa, next moment I was passing out in pain.  I'm not sure if I would have made it driving myself to the hospital, I would have had to call for an ambulance.

The doctor said she said the other tube "looked fine" so we are going to hope that we conceive naturally that way, but after this whole experience I need to give my body a break.  Maybe we will think about it again in 6 months or maybe a year.

Good luck of the methaltrexate working for you.  From what I've heard the HCG blood test is the only real way of determining that, so make sure they keep tracking that very regularly.  Some people have pain associated with the ectopic, others not, some have pain after methaltrexate, others don't.  Often things continue to grow on ultrasound before it reduces also, so I don't believe that is the best way of diagnosing it's working either.
Hi BritGalinMS,

This a major up date!!!
Yesterday I called the clinic to check and see if the results from my HCG levels were back from the lab, they went from: 1754 from when I went to the ER the first time, to 3300 when I was at the hospital to get the Methotrexate shot and then up again to 4700 when I went to the clinic to see the Doc on Saturday (March 19th). The Doc's asst ask me if I was in pain at all, I said, Yes, some abdominal pain on the right and left side, also my bck had been hurting since the injection....she told me to go to the ER immediately because at this point obviously the Methotrexate did not work and my hormones kept going up and this was very risky that I needed SURGERY.

I rushed to the ER with my mother and when we got there, they quickly did some blood work and took me in for an ultrasound. The fetus still had  a HEART BEAT and growing!!! I couldn't believe it, the shot didn't do anything at all!!! I was very upset and scare but thankful that I was finally in the right place and around people that understood. I was taken into surgery and spend the night at the hospital, was released this morning around 10am and now home. Resting, I do have some pain, very tired and sleepy...it hurts when I get up but I'm happy that they were able to save my tube and ovary, the baby was very closed to my ovary but everything went well, the Doc had to cut part of my tube but was able to save it.

This has been a very long 2weeks, but God does work very mysteriously and we all have to have faith! Thank you for all you're help, and everyone here that has shared their story, it really does help, relieves a lot of stress and answers some of our questions.

(((IMPORTANT)))
I do want to say that if anything like this happens to any woman, you have to learn what is it exactly that is going on in your organism and find a Doc, (clinic) that will do for you and help you get thru this FAST! be on top of you're hormones, even if you get the methotrexate shot, they tell you to wait about a week to see your Dr. but don't wait 3or4 days after, check your HCG levels, I can't stress it enough. Everyone's body and organism is different, I was almost 8weeks and was lucky that the tube did not rupture, but I was on top of everything I was the one calling the clinic and bothering them so I could have ultrasounds and Dr visits, and blood work for my HCG levels. My fiance has also been great and helpful, my family has been there for me thru it all. Good luck to everyone out there.
I came across this board after recently being diagnosed and treated for ectopic. On April 20, I felt bad pains in the uterus area and could not even walk. The pain started the night before but got worse the next day. I was at work and got a last minute doctor's appointment. Turns out I was 2 weeks pregnant and did not even realize it! My husband and I just started trying the first month and I was already pregnant. I was bleeding on and off for 3 weeks and thought it must be stress. I am so glad I had pains and went to the doctor, else I would have let more time pass and not even realized I had ectopic. I started bleeding as soon as the egg was fertilized by the sperm.

Anyway, the doctor send me to a radiologist and my uterus was empty, I had a growth of 5.8x2 cm on my right fallopian tube. The doctor sent me to ER immediately and my HCG test was 388. The doctor decided to give me methotrexate - 5 doctors told me 5 different things and were even thinking of sending me home without any treatment because my pregnancy was only 2 weeks and they were not sure if it was ectopic. Anyway, the head doctor decided to give me methotrexate. I was in a lot of pain till Sat & skipped work. I went back to the doctor on Thur to make sure that the pain was not due to a rupture. I had abdominal cramps, could not sleep and woke up a few times. I usually sleep on my side but since it was painful, I slept on my back. On Sunday I started feeling better and could walk a little. I was nauseous but did not throw up.

Monday I was back to work but was very tired, I ended up over-exerting myself on Friday and had some pains, but rest helped. I avoided a lot of processed foods and ate healthy with a lot of fiber and protein, no caffeine. I was constipated for a day which caused more cramping. My father, a doctor, told me that constipation could impact the rupture so I should remove it asap. I drank a lot of hot water, ate some flax, and prunes. Prunes caused cramping so I removed them from my diet. Once constipation passed, I felt better.

7 days later my HCG level was 110. It has been over 10 days now - I had bleeding for 2 days on the 7th and 8th day, which is now very minor spotting. I am still in a little pain. I feel as though something wants to come out, but its not coming out. I have had this feeling from the very first day. I am not sure when it will go away. The pain on my side has reduced a lot. I cannot walk fast but overall I feel fine. I feel grateful that I caught ectopic 2 weeks in, else it could have been worse.

Hope this helps others. I was scared and sad about my loss, but since I found out about my pregnancy the same day as I knew something was wrong with my body, it was easier to get over it. I am 33.5 years old and feel bad that I had to lose my first in this manner. I hope I can get pregnant before 35.

Do others feel that something wants to come out but is not, or is it a different pain & feeling?
I am currently going thru the same thing. On 3/1 I had an IUD put in to prevent pregnancy.  I had my first period on 3/28 and everything was normal. On 4/16 I woke up with severe pelvic pain that last thru the weekend. On monday I seen my gyno which then told me I was pregnant. I was shocked!!! But ok I can do this. Then they took out the IUD and did a vaginal ultrasound and it was negative they could not find the pregnancy anywhere. So the dr says it may just be to early since i haven't even missed my period yet. He sends me to the hospital for a QBHCG and that came back at 2300. I had my levels drawn 2 days later and they were only 2500. So the office called because they were concered it was ectopic. I went back to the office for another ultrasound and they said they still coulndt find the pregnancy but since my levels were above 1200 they should def be able to see something if it was in the uterus. So they confirmed an ectopc pregnancy and sent me to the hospital for a shot of methotrexate. The next 4 days after that was horrible. I had nausea, dizziness and alot of pain and cramping. Had labs drawn 6 days after the injection and they had decreased to 1400. The dr says it is a good sign but I was still without any bleeding. Finally today I started bleeding. what a rollercoaster of emotions!!!! I to thought it would be absorbed by my body but reading everyones posts I am mortified now that I am going to pass it !!!
ON MARCH 30 I BEGAN TO SPOT AFTER WHAT I THOUGHT WAS MY NORMAL PERIOD...TEN DAYS LATER STILL BLEEDING I STRT FREAKING OUT AND WENT TO THE ER...THEY SAID I WAS PREG. BUT THEY SAY COME BACK IN 48 HOURS BEACUSE OF THE BLEEDING YOU MAY BE  HAVING A  MISCA.  48 HOUSR LATER DOC SAYS YEAH THIS IS NOT A NORMAL PREG. SO THEN MORE BLOOD WORK  HCG LEVELS STILL GOING UP BUT NOT NORMAL...HE DOES AN ULTRA SOUND AND SUGGESTS A D&C HE HAD FOUND A THICK WALL AND A COLLECTION OF CYSTS... D&C ON A FRIDAY...I THOUGHT THIS CRAP WAS ALL OVER....BUT TO NO!!! SO SAT. NIGHT MY HUSBAND TAKES ME TO ER..I WAS IN SEVER!!!!! PAIN THEY GAVE ME DRUGS AND SENT ME HOME...THEN ON MONDAY I GOT A CALL FROM THE DOC..."YOU WILL NOT LIKE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU" YOUR STILL PREG. NONE OF THE TISSUE WE TOOK OUT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH A BABY AND MY HCG WAS EVEN HIGHER..SO..TUE I HAD TO GO IN FOR ANTHOER BLOOD TEST NOW MY LEVELES WERE 2000.. HE SAYS YOU NEED TO GO TO ER NOW AND GET A SHOT.. LAYING THERE WHILE THEY GAVE ME THAT SHOT WAS THE WORST EXPERIANCE OF MY LIFE..KNOWING THAT WAS GOING TO KILL THE STILL GROWING BABY INSIDE ME..I CRYED FOR DAYS  AFTER AND STILL AM.. BLEEDING HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR 47 DAYS!!!! IM SO READY FOR THIS ALL TO BE OVER...MOST PAINFULL THING TO EVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH...MY LEVELS ARE NOW AT 44...I JUST HOPE THE BLEEDING WILL STOP SOON AND MY NEXT BLOOD TEST IS THE LAST AND ITS A ZERO... IF YOU ARE SOMEONE GOING THROUGH THIS  HERE IS SOME ADVICE TO FEEL BETTER ...GET A HEATING PAD!!!!(IT WAS LIKE HEAVEN..KEPT THE SHARP PAINS AWAY) SOME GOOD MOVIES AND A BOTTLE OF TYLO. ...AND IF YOUR SO LUCK TO HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD LIKE I DO TO CUDDLE WITH ..IT HELPS I WAS IN BED THREE WEEKS WITH ALL THE PAIN..A WEEK AFTER THE SHOT YOU MAY START TO FEEL BETTER..BUT ALL THE TESTING WILL JUST DRIVE YOU CRAZY..
I am 32, married for 5 years with no children yet.  My husband and I have been ttc for 7 months and I started experiencing abdom. pains on my lower left side.  It got so bad one night that I couldn't sleep and we went into the ER.  Once there, we found out we were 3 weeks pregnant, so we were super excited but a little worried there could be problems.  While waiting in the ER, I started bleeding a little, so the Dr. became more concerned and had me get an ultrasound.  They couldn't see anything in the uterus, so they had me get comparison blood tests the following week (beta HCG was 2000).  My numbers were increasing but not as fast as they should be, so I was told it was definitely a miscarraige and possibly ectopic.  My Dr. had me go in for another ultrasound the following week, and they decided it was probably ectopic.  They rushed me to the ER and gave me the option of surgery or metho. injections.  I opted for the metho. to increase my chances for future fertility.

I started bleeding 2 days after the injections, but my numbers started dropping slowly.  The cramping came back, but not as severe.  Now I have diarrhea and an upset stomach, but the worst part is having to wear a pad (hate them!)  I am also tired and short of breath when I try to do too much.  This has been a hard lesson of slowing down, asking for help, and learning to grieve.  Though I am sad about losing the baby and anxious about having to wait 4 months, I'm doing okay.  My emotions seem a little heightened, probably due to the hormones dropping.  I have faith that God will carry me through this journey; He always does!  My HCG is finally below 1000, so I'm praying it continues to drop quickly and I won't need another injection.  So sorry to all of you who've had to go through this.  It's a lonely and frustrating experience, but it helps to hear from all of you!  Best wishes on your baby-makin!!!
Its been exactly one month since I was diagnosed with ectopic and got methotrexate. Very very painful. The first week was brutal especially being at work. The second week got better but I had very bad constipation and the pain was unbearable, I felt as though something wanted to come out but couldn't. I took mild laxatives that helped within two days and reduced the pain. I took Ibuprofen for 3 weeks till the pain subsided. My levels went down from 388 to 216 to 110 to 29 to negative. Today the doctor cleared me and asked me to wait till August, I can start working out as well. The pain is dull, but still there. I did not exert myself because it caused pains. I am relieved and hope it doesn't happen again. This process has increased my awareness. It has caused immense sadness though because whenever I see a toddler I feel a deep sense of loss, and I pray desperately that I have a normal healthy child. I will be 34 in three months and I really want a child soon. It is a difficult phase especially the pain. Even though doctors ask people to visit in 6 to 8 months, I have had a relatively speedy recovery because my ectopic was caught within 3 weeks of pregnancy. I don't know what would have happened had I waited.

I am not sure whether to take HSG - the doctor said its up to me. I want to make sure that my swelling has gone down, but my doctor didn't seem too concerned and said that my HCG levels had come down and everything was normal. I just feel unsure though.
Thank you so much for posting your stories.  It has greatly helped me through such a difficult time.  My tale is a little different and just want people to be aware that it really can be different for everyone.  I found out I was pregnant on Friday, May 13 after 6 IUIs.  My betas were doubling, but around 52 hours instead of the 48 they like to see.  On 5/20 I had an u/s and they could not find anything - no sac, no baby, no tubal bulge.  On 5/24 I had another u/s and nothing again my RE diagnosed it as an unconfirmed ectopic.  I wasn't convinced/had a hard time believing this was happening as I had no signs - no spotting no cramping.  At my insistance I went back on 5/26 for another u/s but same thing nothing was there.  I agreed and had my first dose (2 shots) of MTX on 5/26 with a beta of 4835.  I went back on 5/31 for my second dose (again 2 shots) and my beta was 8914.  I went back on 6/2 and my beta was 8765.  It was not enough of a drop for the RE and I went back on 6/3 for a THIRD dose (yep 2 more shots in the butt).  My nurse informed me that was the first time she had ever had to give anyone 3 doses - lucky me.  My beta dropped to 7453 on 6/6 and then to 5599 on 6/9.  

I still have not had any cramping, or spotting or bleeding.  My boobs are still just a tender as they were the day I found out i was pregnant and I am still nausus most mornings.  I think it cruel to still have to have these symptoms when I know I am not really pregnant.  I have spent every day waiting for over 2 weeks now for the cramping and bleeding to start as the nurse warned me it will happen it just is different for every woman as to when and how bad.  I just wish I could get it over with!  I though the 2ww to find out if I was pregnant was long, but it was nothing compared to this.  Maybe mine won't be too bad since it is taking such a long time?  

I have no idea how long I will have to wait for my beta to reach zero, but in the mean time I am still waiting to be able to be allowed back in the sun (hopefully before my beach vacation next month) or have a glass of wine.  I am sure my friends all think I am pregnant since I have not been drinking, but I just don't know how to tell them what I have been through.  Maybe once everything has been resolved I can tell them...

It has been really difficult going through this by myself (I do not have a husband or partner), but I think it has also made me realize I can handle much more on my own than I ever though I could.  I am not sure if/when I will be ready emotionally or physically to TTC again, but I am convinced more than ever that having a baby on my own is something I can do.

Best wishes to everyone!
I can't believe they can't find anything...anywhere..?? Did you go to an u/s specialist? First of all I hope all is well. I was reading your story and it really touched me because I understand the whole "waiting for something to happen after the shot" process and that it's the hardest thing! After it's all done, you do feel relief because you learned so much and like you said, it makes you a stronger person knowing that you can handle something like this. About letting your friends know, take your time! I know I waited almost a month to actually face the world and share my pain with friends. Is going to get better, is just a different process for different women, like you mentioned. Another thing, isn't just crazy how the methotrexate is suppose to take care of what's going on with only 1 or 2 shots? They take so much precautions at the hospital when injecting you, wearing gloves and covering their bodies and face...I thought, what in the world are they injecting me with? I believe you must have a very strong organism if you had 3shots and nothing yet! Best of luck and keep strong! remember God always has a plan.

Lis
OMG I am reading all this and going 'It is not just me!" I had been on 3 cycles of Clomid when on the 31st of May I got a period. It lasted its usual 8 days and then when i was wiping CD9 and 10 there was brown blood and pain had started. CD11 it was red. By this stage I was wondering what was happening and posted on my TTC Facebook (Effie Ivf Ttc) and someone said it sounded like an ectopic. So I went and got a HPT and sure enough I got a positive and I just cried and cried. We went to the hospital however because it was a public holiday they couldn't do an US but they did bloods and HCG was 1002 which put me at 6 weeks (At the time I would have been just over 5 weeks) so we went back to where we were staying.

When we went home 2 days later the pain had gotten worse so we went to the medical centre and he sent us to the hospital and again they refused to do US because of public holiday so I went home. By this stage I had called my IVF doctor and they booked me in for bloods on the 16th of June. This showed 900 which meant I was MCing but pain was still there as well as heavy bleeding. I had to redo bloods on the 20th which showed 600 and when I went to my appointment on the 21st he said I would need the Methotrexate shot. This got done on the 24th.

I am having follow up blood on Friday (1st July) and the pain has seem to have gotten worse since the shot. I am now having difficulty moving around and I am very stiff - considering I am a fit active person this is hurting me alot. I hope I feel better soon :(

Hi all,
I'm really glad to have found this site and wanna thanks everyone who have shared their experience here. It's really helpful for me. I'm about 7 weeks pregnant and my hcg is already at ard 24000. Did 4 transvaginal scans but they cant see anything at all.. anywhere.. My hcg did double up on the first 2  blood tests but begin to slow down on the next 2 blood tests. My gynae confirm it's a unhealthy pregnancy and most likely an ectopic. I was given a dose of Methotrexate yesterday. So far there are still no bleeding, no cramps yet. I'm really worried if it's normal and really wonder when will the bleeding and cramps will start. This experience is really stressful.
Hello everyone,
Really sorry to hear about the losses of everyone and hoping that everything gets better for everyone here,
Just wanted to share me story and experience.
I got a positive pregnancy test on 21st June and started spotting on 25th June. Went to the doc, they did ultrasound but couldn't see anything in the uterus, they thought it might be too early. The next day I get severe gastrointestinal problems and I am doubling over with pain. Went to the hospital, they did ultrasound and found fluid in my abdomen. On 29th June, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove the blood from my abdomen but the doc said that the pregnancy was not in the tubes, it was in the abdomen probably which is a very rare case. Doc still couldn't identify exactly where the pregnancy was, but since he removed all the blood and clots from abdomen, he said that hopefully all pregnancy tissue has been removed.
Anyway, I get some blood work done a week later and my HCG had increased to 4500 (it was 1100 when I had the surgery). Doc said that there was probably some tissue left, so he started me with oral methotrexate for a week. Thankfully, after a week, my levels had dropped to 4000; not very fast but still it was dropping. The doc has continued my oral methotrexate for another week and I have to get more blood work done today and then on Friday.
However, I have had severe side effects with methotrexate. Severe Abdominal cramps, constipation, trapped gas, and bloating. I have a bit of spotting and bleeding but I won't probably pass a clot or sac since my pregnancy was in the abdomen and not in the uterus or tubes. I rushed to the ER twice because of pain in the fear that I had started to bleed internally like before but the ultrasounds showed everything to be normal, so I know it's just the side effects of metho.
Just hoping and praying that my levels drop drastically in the blood works now. Do pray for me as well girls :)
You will all be in my prayers!
I am a week out from one dose of methotrexate following diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.  I am 32 years old, had never had an IV in my arm and the thought of surgery was overwhelming.   I am now wishing more than anything that I'd had the surgery.  This process and the hormonal roller coaster through hell that it has been is just too much.  I would do anything to have it all over with and just be recovering, which is where I'd be if I'd had the surgery.  Instead, my bhcg doubled in 4 days, didn't come down the 15% my doc wanted so am now getting it monitored every other day, my breasts are still tender and sore, and i have absolutely no signs of bleeding, meaning that my body is still very much in pregnancy mode.  I would not wish this upon anyone.  all I want is for it to be over with and behind me, and it looks more and more like i'm still weeks away from that.  I know it is a process, but I had no idea just how long and emotionally exhausting it would be.
So sorry you're having to go through this... hang in there! I know it's a tough time but it WILL get better!  My testing lasted a couple weeks then I had methotrexate, more tests, and ended up needing surgery after all.  I remember those points of anxiety and frustration.  It's a day-by-day thing, but know that others have been there.  Don't be afraid to share your feelings with a close friend or spouse; I found this to help.  The surgery and recovery was quick proved to be the best choice for my body.  If it helps to know... I'm feeling MUCH better now and will be praying for you!!  Let me know if you have questions.
I know all too well about this nightmare. Last Sept I ended up with my first pregnancy ending up being ectopic. I had pain on and off for two days, I knew I was pregnant, about 6 weeks, as my husband and I had been trying. I waiting way to long to gonto the ER, and by the time I got there it had ruptured, and they rushed me into surgery where they removed my right tube. I lost so much blood from bleeding internally that I needed a blood transfusion.
Exactly a year later to the day, I found out that we were finally pregnant again. We had been seeing a fertility specialist, had 2 unsuccessful IUI's, and got pregnant naturally the month before out first IVF. I was over the moon, and so grateful God had blessed me with this miracle the month before IVF. I was being monitored very closely because of my history, end everything was going perfect, for about a week and a half. Then at about the same time in my last pregnancy I got that familiar pain in my tube that I will never forget. The pain was so bad, that I vomitted from it! I went straight to the ER in fear of losing my only tube if it ruptured. The first ER misdiagnosed me after I told them it was ectopic and sent me home claiming my tube was clear, and there was an empty gestational sack in the uterus, and it was probably just too early to see a yolk sack or fetal pole. At that time my HCG levels had leveled off, so I knew something was wrong. That same night, the pain came on again, and I drove myself to the ER closest to my house, the one that had did my surgery last year. After the US the OB on call came in and said there was a 2 mm mass in my right tube and he wanted to remove my other tube and leave me without any tubes at 33 years old without any children. I have wanted to be a mommybsinve I was a little girl.
I begged the DR to try and save the tube, but he warned me that it doesn't function properly if this was my second ectopic and it would only put me risk for another ectopic. But we went to surgery and he attempted to save it anyway for my peace of mind. BIG MISTAKE! Turns out he left too much tissue in the tube and a week after surgery my HCG had leveled off again and wasn't decreasing. I was starting to feel pressure in the tube again. Apparently it an grow back if he doesn't get it all, lovely! So the wanted to give me methotrexate and I was completely against it. I begged 2 dr's to just get me back in the OR and take the tube. Neither of them would, and they gave me no choice. So yesterday I had my first shot, and I begged the nurse for pain meds, as I have read how painful it is from the girls that have been through it. The told me no, that it would mask the pain, and I needed to come in if I was in pain. Last night and this morning was the worst cramps I have EVER had, and I knew that I could not continue without meds, passing the grosses clots that looked like my uterus fell out. I went back to dr for blood work, and unltrasound, and he told me this was normal and I wasn't bleeding internally, which I knew, and finally gave me some pain meds. Having 2 ectopics, I knew the pain was different, but I should not have to suffer like this when I am already in pain and trying to heal from my surgery last week.
I keep wondering when this nightmare will ever end. I am so angry that now I have to wait another 3 months before I can do our first IVF because of this stupid shot they forced me to have. Having been through surgery, I would prefer that pain anyway, rather than the pain from that awful shot. Listen to your body, that's my advise. I knew something was wrong, even though the hospital told me my tube was clear. It is terrible how you have to be your own dr these days!!! Just terrible. I have joined an amazing on line support group called Daily Strength, I highly recommend it to anyone suffering with infertility and miscarriages. Be well, be blessed, Carla
Hi Im new also, I also am/was in the same boat. I do have a 21 yr old son. And I am 39 yrs old now. I did to have an ectopic back in Feb. 98 was removed at 6 wks cause of hemmorraging didnt know it was ectopic at that time.
In 8/08 I decided to have an ablasion done, didnt plan on having anymore children. Well its 2011 and I have moved to a different state cause got divorced, and with a new man, he has 2 beautiful children 5 & 7.
Well to make long story short, went to a routine obgyn appt cause I was spotting and having discomfort, thought it was just a cyst. Doc took urine and said, as I was getting dressed take ur clothes back off ur pregnant....I almost passed out and said dont joke about things like that, well I was pregnant so we did an ultra sound it was twins in my left tube and I was 4 to 6 wks. She sent me to the hospital, had my hcg level taken, then the methotrexate shot. Had my blood ran a week later and it was at 4300. I had 1 bad nite of horrible pain used a heating pad and took tylenol that next morning I did pass them they were attached and looked like 2 small cloudy lima beans. I am still having pain on my left side but its not horrible. I was told that is because your tube does get irritated and sore cause of the swelling due to pregnancy thats not suppose to be there. If I have a bowel movement or bladder gets full it does cause pain for my tube.

I have read everyones comments and I am sorry for ur loses. I am glad there is a place that you dont feel alone and someone else has experienced similar problems. Thanks again.
I am sorry to hear about everyones experiences but it is also nice t know that there are some people like me out there. On 9/1, I started what I thought was my period. Everything seemed normal...breast tenderness, cramps, menstrual bleeding. After a week, the bleeding seemed to be stopping, and then came back more heavily. I wasn't alarmed because I have PCOS and adenomyosis and the adenomyosis sometimes causes me to have long periods. After bleeding for 3 weeks, light to heavy flows with huge clots I started getting really fatigued, which never happens. I thought maybe I was having a misscarriage because of all the clots and called my doc. They did a urine pregnancy test and I was shocked that I was pregnant since I was on birth control and Metformin (for my PCOS). They did a pelvic ultrasound and saw nothing, and I was in pain from the ultrasonographer pushing down on me and moving the tube around. They also test my blood and I was at 1000, which she said was good. That night I went home and cried for hours. I didn't expect that it would effect me, but I lost it. It's a lot of physical and emotional pain. The next day, I got a shot of Methotrexate ( 1 in each cheek) and have to come back next week for a blood test. I had pretty bad cramps the night after, but the doctor told me that was normal. I just pray that the Methotrexate works and my levels will drop. In about 6 months, we're going to try for a successful pregnancy.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, I have learned something from everyone and am glad that I am not alone.
I have a story similar to many women here and I am so sorry for what you are going through.  I had a positive pregnancy test in early August 2011, found an OB doctor and was just going to wait till 8 weeks before seeing her.  Then I started bleeding and when I called the doctor told me to come in and see her.  She did the HCG levels and they were low for how far along I was.  

So a couple of days after my office visit I stated feeling a lot of pain and went to the ER where they confirmed my fear that the pregnancy was indeed ectopic.  I wanted to just do the surgery and be done.  My doctor recommended the Methotrexate and assured both me and my husband that this was the best option. Well, after more than a week of chemo my HCG levels wend down then started going up again and now my OB wanted to give me another shot or do surgery.  I opted for surgery because I was in a lot of pain every time I moved or ate anything and the pain was going into the shoulder.  She did the laparoscopy first and found out that there was too much bleeding to stop it with the small instruments.  So she cut me open to stop the bleeding and remove part of the R tube.  

Having gone through both options I can tell you that the surgery was a better way to go for me.  Chemo is so toxic and if you read the list of side effects (possible cancers later in life-because chemo can hide in the fat cells) it is scary.  In retrospect, I with I went with my gut reaction and fist choice of just doing the surgery the first time I went to ER.  I am now almost 4 weeks post surgery and my HCG levels are back to zero.  I am upset that I will have to wait at least 3 month before we can safely try to get pregnant again.  I wish the doctor was more forthcoming about the possible danger and reactions to the drug.  

I feel for every women that has gone through this situation.  We just have extra angels in heaven watching over us because our children never really leave us.  I now have 2 children-one here with me (3 year old daughter) and one in heaven.

Praying for peace for all,
Love
Dear Reema,
I am praying for you.  Hang in there.
Please let us know how you are doing.
Thanks to everyone that's posted - what a relief to here common stories. So here's mine.... I had my 1st ectopic 5 yrs ago. Like many here, I thought I was having an abnormal period b/c the bleeding continued longer than a week. Eventually was surprised to learn I was pregnant, followed by HCG levels that rose just slightly, then an u/s confirmed it was in my tube and I had a belly full of blood. Sent to emergency surgery and had tube removed. Remaining tube looked normal/healthy, so I positive for future pregnancies.
Two years later, hubby and I were ready for kids. Got pregnant, and HCG levels doubled - BIG relief. Unfortunately, miscarried. Then about 8 months later, pregnant again - ended with delivery of my son (now 2yrs old).
So in August, ready for baby #2. Get pregnant 1st month! But right away, I could feel something wasn't right. HCG numbers were bad - did a series of tests 48 hrs apart: 240, 267, 118, 288. They did an u/s, but really just to confirm no bleeding - was told nothing can be seen until HCG is 2,500. So was given methotrexate in order to save remaining tube. Had day 4 & 7 blood work, and numbers were 158 and then back UP to 208. Doctor and her associates perplexed - in their experience, 100% of people with HCG so low respond to 1st dose. They do a bioposy of uterine lining which does confirm no pregnancy material in uterus. So I got a 2nd round of methotrexate. Still anxiously waiting to get through this week, and for my days 4 & 7 blood work.
So I ask "what if" HCG levels again stagnate - I'll be sent to a specialist (an oncologist) to rule out a rare form of tumor that produces HCG.
The worst thing is the waiting and not knowing. I'm blessed to already be a mom and just want to be "normal" again.
i was off of metho for aprox 2 months secondary to losing my job and no insurance. i believe in that time i became pregnant but im unsure. i now have the meds through the e.r and im in alot of pain and need to take it but i dont no what to do! if i am pregnant will it kill the baby or make it deformed? should i suffer and wait until i find out?
My husband and I were so excited to find out that we were expecting our first child after only one month of trying. At about week 5 I had mild spotting (some mucous with a pink tinge) and my doctor wasn't too concerned bc I had no cramping or pain. A week later I woke up and felt off. My uterus felt achey and heavy. When I went to the bathroom at work I felt blood dripping and I passed what looked like sac to me. It was whitish-pink in color.

I was devestated and convinced that I had just miscarried. I went to the doctor's office and they tested my hcg. They tested again 48 hours later. It was a holiday weekend so I didn't get the results right away but I was SO sure that I had miscarried that I wasn't too concerned. That Tuesday I found out that hcg had doubled. I was surprised because I had been bleeding for 5 days already.

After a few more rounds of hcg testing, everything seemed OK. The numbers were doubling and then they just plateaued. In 72 hours it went from 900 to 1400. We did an ultrasound, no sign of anything in my uterus and no sign of anything wrong. My doctor suspected ectopic and had me go in for an injection of methotrexate on Thursday October 20, 2011.

I honestly felt great the first few days, besides being tired. On Monday night (4 days after injection) I got really bad pain in my lower abdomen. I REALLY didn't want to go to the ER so I waited for it to pass. After 15 minutes of being very uncomfortable, my husband decided to take me to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and said that I had a blood clot on or near my right ovary and that I had some fluid behind my uterus. Besides that, everything looked OK and my hcg had dropped from 1500 to 1110 in 24 hours.

My pain got a lot better while I was at the hospital so I was sent home. This whole thing has been such a roller coaster ride. My heart goes out to all of you ladies-- I know how awful it is to go through this after you get the best news ever.

I just can't wait to get passed this and start TTC when the doctor says it's ok.

Best of luck to everyone!
I am 8 weeks, and now on my 2nd metho shot. It is now 3 days after 2nd shot. I am really not feeling much of a difference. I go into the dr tomorrow for more blood work. If the numbers have not dropped again I will be having the DNC later this week. This is sooo hard. We have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. This is our 1st pregnancy. After the first scan they told us in was in my left tube. I am so scared, angery etc.
I've been wondering. the same thing I had an eptopic pregnancy last week I had surgery that Saturday I had and hcg test done yesterday AND its still too high I've got and appt to go back next week for the same things but I still feel sick I still eat a lot and I still pee a lot and still spotting I haven't had sex so what could be the problem
I was so happy to find this forum and read everyone's stories in words I can understand.  Here is my experience, I had a light spotty period at my regular time accompanied by cramps only severe at times. Thankfully my best friend and boyfried convinced me to go to emerg.  I sat in the waiting room for 6 hours with severe cramps and had to get a couple of maxi pads from the nurse as I was bleeding threw one about every hour. When I finally got a bed (in the hall) I started throwing up into a garbage can and was finally administered a shot of Gravol.  I was finally seen by a Dr. (9hrs later) and she informed me I was pregnant but it wasn't viable.  I am 37 and have had 3 prior misscarriages all for different reasons. I have an rh- blood type and had to recieve a rogam (sp) shot and was told everything from bad luck to quit smoking. They sent me home but told me to return in the morning for an ultrasound. The next day the bleeding was still light and spotty but not as severe the cramps had also subsided quite a bit and was only tender to touch.
My ultrasound revealed and eptomic pregnancy and I was whisked back in to emerg. promptly given a bed and prepped for surgery. My levels were over 4000 the night before and had dropped to under 4000 the following day. I only waited 4 hours to see an OBGYN and he told me vitals were all normal and gave me an internal examine. He also told me there was fluid in my abdomin (????) As  the cramping and bleeding was not as severe as the night before he said I had the choice of having the shot or the surgery.  I opted for the shot I was immediately concerned at the nurse putting on a mask, gown and double gloves.  She was wonderful and very informative and answered all my questions.  I was very concerned about the side effect including, nausea,cramping, bleeding, and fainting and them telling me to come back to emeg if I had nausea, cramping and bleeding.
I have to go back on Monday to have my levels checked. I am happy to be home but  feel weak and have a few pangs on my right side.  I think the weakness is from spending 9 hrs in emerg the night before and not being allowed to have food or drink all day today.  When I finally got home I had a banana and a yoghurt had a nap and had and apple and some cheese and crackers. I immediately felt nausea.  That's why I went on-line and found this forum and am inspired and feel a bit more informed on what to expect.  My second experience at the hopital was way more positive than the first and am instructed and plan to take it easy for the next couple days.  I was told to take Advil for pain and have been using a heating pad for the mild cramps.  It has only been about 8 hrs since I have had the shot and am going to take each day as it comes.  I have great friends and an incredabally supportive boyfriend to get me threw this.
Thank you
I found out 5 days ago I was preg AFTER having a tubal 4 years ago-they actually cut and curned the ends--but, a positve preg test had surely came up last week- called the doc- they were concerned and had me come in the next day for an ultrasound--no sac found anywhere--sched me for blood over the next 2 days to see if my HCG went up--went back 2 days later to another ultrasound to show she thought there was a sac in my right tube--but still nothing in the uterus--and my HCG went from 3500 to 4200--I guess not enough to support an actual uteran preg--so, in fear of my tube rupturing they presented me with surg or methotrexate injections at the cancer center--we went with the injections in hope of avoiding surgery--I had this procedure yesterday ---started cramping right away and spotting--I am assuming this will be similar to a miscar which i have had several of---not looking forward to it at all and glad i found this forum---today i haven't taken any meds to avoid sleeping all day and i still am light headed and dizzy---a really odd feeling---but, i suppose not as bad as recovering from a surgery---i will update you all with any new info--good or bad--bless you all
I had one shot of the metho on 8/2011 and my levels dropped to zero by 10/2011 but now I'm scared because I'm only spotting and not bleeding regular.
I to experience everything about the smoking, i am on my second miscarry.
On Aug. 2011 I went to the dr to figure out how to get pregnant with my second husband.  Whom doesn't have children and I have three we have tried for a year no luck. He stated that all was good n remember took my folic acid by sept. 2011 I had a feeling I was pregnant not relizen that I already was when I went in, in aug. three days after I found out I started to bleed I called went in dr stated that i had a possible ectopic pregnancy after my 1st shot of metho shot levels reached nearly 730 than I received my second shot two weeks after the first it drop 50 percent I was so excited n so confused the following wed lab test again it went down to 300 now upset again after 7 weeks at this point I was at my wits end now at 99.6 3 metho shots later n 9 1/2 weeks later my right ovary had a large cyst ruptured and 10 percent chance for this to happen again I feel as though I don't want to try again but with god on my side I feel like tryen again in the near future I would love to have that feel of another human life grow within me and the 1st time your baby kicks and it is a little secret between you and your bundle of joy is a wonderful experience.  I hope all of you my experience this keep your heads up I am and won't give up on that blessing we would all love to have.   Chrissy 11/17/2011
I will keep you all in my prayers! Finding this forum has been comforting to me, as I am going through the same thing now. My periods were like clock work, so after four days missed, my husband and I knew something. After a home pregnancy test confirmed on Oct. 20, I called my doctor the next day because I had been experiencing alot of sharp pains. She ordered  blood work, and an ultrasound which did show that I was having a ectopic preganancy. My first shot of mexthotrexate made my HCG rise from 12,000 to 25,000. No bleeding, and no pain. A week after I had two more shots, no bleeding and no pain, just fatigue and nausea. At the end of the week it had dropped to 22,000. Now, I have my blood drawn every week until it is zero. As of last week it has dropped to 8,000, and I finally started a very painful period. My husband as been great throughout this whole ordeal. I know he is tired of hearing my moans and cries due to the pain, but he doesn't let on..lol.
God has a plan. Trust it.
Hi everyone,

My name is Jess, I'm 29, and this is my 2nd pregnancy (I had a son 7 years ago with no complications)

Here is my story and I am hoping someone can help.

11/20 - BFP! So excited, my hubby and I just got married in October, went off the pill in Sept and got pregnant our first month trying.

11/23 - HCG levels 32

11/29 - started bleeding bright red and cramping. Went to the ER, thought for sure I was misscarying (5 weeks)
They did a pelvic and said my cervix was closed. No baby or sac seen on internal u/s. HCG 327. Ordered to see my OBGYN 12/1 and do HCG then.

12/1 - u/s no baby or sac again. HCG 377. still bleeding lightly. Told I was miscarrying. Appt to come back on 12/5.

12/2 - Terrible left side cramping and low back cramping. Heating pad and hot baths did nothing. Tylenol did not even touch the pain.

12/5. u/s shows 2.2cm ectopic in my left tube. HCG 360.  Given choice of methotrexate or surgery. Opted for shot. Went for kidney and liver panels. All were good.

12/6 - Methotrexate 90mg, one shot in each butt cheek. Cramping and more bleeding.

12/7 - Today - more cramping, heavier bleeding. Just passed tissue that is reddish pinkish and has some grey in it. Is this the sac already? Doctor told me my body would absorb it. Saved tissue to take to next appt.

Scheduled for another HCG on 12/10 and 12/13.

I still do not know what caused this.  How is it possible that I passed this tissue less than 24 hours after the Metho shot?

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jessica
I just wanted to add a few comments. I know this thread started many years ago, but as it is still active, I thought I'd chime in.

The reason that I wanted to post is b/c many of the posters have had more advanced ectopic pregnancies than my wife had.

We have been undergoing fertility treatments (current IUI) to try to conceive a second child. When the blood tests came through from the first round of treatment, we were "boarderline" pregnant. Based on how the hcg numbers were not increasing, the doctors knew something was off.

After a series of ultrasounds and blood test over a week, it became apparent that the pregnancy was in all likelyhood ectopic.

b/c we had been going through fertility treatments and since my wife was frequently tested, everything was spotted when her hcg was only 60 and mass ~1cm

After everything was tested and confirmed, we went to emergency and she received two (simeultaneous) shows of Methotrexate.

Her levels are now going down.

She says she has not experienced any side effects and her mood is good. She did have a small discharge but it was not as severe as some of the posters in this thread have experienced.

This is just week two, so we cannot say how everything will resovle.

I am just posting this for women who are undergoing the treatment after an earlier than usual ectopic pregnacy.

I don't know if our experience is normal for an early ectopic, but I'd thought I'd share out thoughts.

Of course we will update this board.
I underwent an IVF procedure and then had what appeared to be a 'miscarriage' - heavier than normal bleeding, on 5/14/14. At the time my HCG was 12. A week later I retested my HCG and it was 200. After that it has been almost doubling every 2 days. When my hCG was 2500 my OB diagnosed me of ectopic, and I was given the MTX shot the next day on 5/30. I retested my hCG on Day #4 (which was yesterday) and it rose to 4500. I'm so scared. I dread of getting another shot because i heard for 2 shots you have to wait 6 months to get pregnant, and I wanted to try another round of IVF before I'm too old. I'm doing another hCG test in 2 days and I'm hoping I'll see a 15% drop.

I haven't had any symptoms like bleeding or cramping. Is that a sign it's not working? Anyone has the experience of not bleeding at first and later it still worked?
This is just a very late update on this. About 6 weeks and 3 rounds of methotrexate after initially being diagnosed with an ectopic in the scar of my c-section, I had a massive hemmorage. I had no spotting leading up to it - just a little cramping the day before. Within 40 minutes of starting to bleed, I had lost so much blood that I needed transfusions because I was crashing. My blood pressure dropped to 50/30 and I passed out. Luckily I wasn't far from the ER. My doc made arrangements for me to be transferred to a hospital that had the technology to do an uterine artery embolization - they put little particles into the main arteries of your uterus to stop blood flow and control bleeding. This saved my uterus, but was extremely painful. I spent a week in the hospital and ended up having 8 units of blood over the course of the week to bring my hemoglobin back to a safe level for me to go home. It took about 2 months to get my iron levels back up and about 4 months for my energy levels to return. I was advised to wait a year before trying to conceive again to give my body time to heal. I needed this time because it was a very traumatic event. The doctors did not know if we would be able to conceive again because there is little research on subsequent pregnancy following uterine artery embolization for the purpose of controlling hemmorhaging. I'm happy to report that I got a pregnant about 18 months later and had a very uneventful pregnancy. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl who was delivered by planned c-section. They did not give me an option to have a vaginal delivery because they were concerned about the integrity of the uterine muscle. I had no problems whatsoever throughout the pregnancy, aside from morning sickness. I was followed closely for the first 6 months and then discharged back to my regular OB. After that, we decided to try for one more. I had one chemical pregnancy and then a missed miscarriage - I should have been 10 weeks along, but embryo stopped growing at 5-6 weeks. Again, no spotting or cramping and then about 3 weeks after being diagnosed with missed miscarriage, I actually miscarried at home. It was very physically painful. We waited two cycles and tried again. I got pregnant shortly after and am now 8 months pregnant with our 3rd and final baby. No problems at all in this pregnancy, either. If you are one of the unfortunate ones who have to go through a c-section ectopic, please know that there is hope!