Methotrexate, ectopic pregnancy and bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have had two doses of Methotrexate administered by a needle. Between doses, the embryo grew from 2.8 cm to 5.8 cm in a span of a week. My Bhcg went from 2600 down to a little over 900. Was at the hospital under observation but have been released. This is my first night home, and I am concerned about what can happen. Experienced a fainting spell while under observation, low blood pressure after, but since then went up. Still ight headed, bleeding light to moderate, bright red, no tissue or clots. Slight cramping in my left side (where ectopic was discovered). Does anyone have any similar experiences or experienced this? What was the outcome? Am I just paranoid, or am I in grave danger at this point? ALL honesty is respected, will not get offended. Thank you
I don't know much about ectopic pregnancies, but I wanted to say how sorry I am! I do know that they can be very dangerous and if you feel like you are experiancing things that you shouldn't then go to the Dr. or at least call. I know it's not something you want to mess around with. If you feel something is wrong then call. Or maybe try googling it and see what the normal symptoms are that you should be having. Again I'm sorry that you lost the baby! You will get a lot of support on this forum from these women here if you need it.
I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I had a Metho shot in August for "presumed" ectopic. but only had one and was sent home that day.

Your body seems to be reacting differently...as all of ours do. I hope it is all over  for you soon.(so your body can get back to normal)
You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Is There Anything Else I Need to Know?

The following points are important:

Avoid alcohol and vitamin preparations containing folic acid until the hormone level is back to zero.
Avoid aspirin or drugs such as ibuprofen for one week after treatment. It is fine to use regular paracetamol (to a maximum of 2 tablets, 4 times per day)
If you have severe pain or heavy vaginal bleeding, get in touch with your doctor.
It is important that you use adequate contraception for 3 months after a single injection or six months after more than one treatment.
Be sure that all of your questions have been answered.

What are the possible side effects of methotrexate?
I had one shot of methotrexate Oct. 20/06 and my HCG levels were fluctatiing all over the place. My Dr. thought I needed another shot of methotrexate but then my levels went to 25, which is good. The bad thing is, is that I'm still bleeding. I've been bleeding for just over 6 weeks now. It sucks. The Dr.'s don't seem too concerned about it though.
I hope you are doing okay and remember just call your doctor or go to the ER if you feel worse.

I'm sorry for what you are going through.
From your Canadian buddy
I too had to have two doses of methotrexate before my numbers started to go down. It still took about 3 weeks of havimg my blood checked every two days after the second shot.  One night i had extreme pain and the next morning i went to urinate and what i assumed was a blood clot the size of my fist(it was actuall the sac)came out. Afterwards I was fine.
Hi,I'm sorry about your ectopic.I had one on 8/25.I was given 3 shots,first 1 one did'nt take levels did'nt go down for 1 wk.And was given two more with vitamin shot in between.After exactly 1 wk. I started to bleed ALOT.Cramping & clotting that lasted 3 days.Then 1 wk. later I bled again for 1 month levels didn't go down for almost a mon.After levels went down to zero, 3 wks later I got AF on 10/06.Then again on 11/01.This is my 2nd cycle since.I was told NOT to take folic until levels went down comm.After I have taken prenatals & xtra folic & wil wait till jan to ttc.I know this is hard & scary but it will get better.Ask alot of ?'s.And were here for whatever.Good kuck ....nanis
Hi,I'm sorry about your ectopic.I had one on 8/25.I was given 3 shots,first 1 one did'nt take levels did'nt go down for 1 wk.And was given two more with vitamin shot in between.After exactly 1 wk. I started to bleed ALOT.Cramping & clotting that lasted 3 days.Then 1 wk. later I bled again for 1 month levels didn't go down for almost a mon.After levels went down to zero, 3 wks later I got AF on 10/06.Then again on 11/01.This is my 2nd cycle since.I was told NOT to take folic until levels went down comm.After I have taken prenatals & xtra folic & wil wait till jan to ttc.I know this is hard & scary but it will get better.Ask alot of ?'s.And were here for whatever.Good luck ....nanis
Hi There

SO sorry for your loss. I had one shot  of methotrexate only and the thing i remember the most was how truamatic and painful the bleeding was. I think the cramping was underestimated! I did bleed very heavily for a week and a half.  My levels also went down to zero in 2 weeks. I too will be TTC in Jan like nanis.

I hope you feel better soon.

I'm so sorry your going through this. I went through this myself and was pretty traumatized after the ordeal.I'm on my eight'th pregnancy right now with only 2 live children. The rest were miscarriges including one ectopic tubal pregnancy. I expierenced the same symtoms (symptoms). With my ectopic ordeal I knew I was miscarring at 6 weeks but I was in denial because I've been trying to get pregnant for about a year and was hoping that my cramping and brown spotting would disapear. And then while at work ( I'm a caregiver at a nursing home) I was on my way to my next client to get him ready for breakfast and housekeeping happened to be there before me with thier huge cart and then it happened*** I fainted behind the cart and almost got run over by it had my RN would of not found me and started to hear ringing in my ears and blurred yellow vision and severe right side cramping and I could not stand on my own or get up from the floor and I was crying in excruciating pain. I felt like a failure unable to have children and was quite embarressed that my workplace knew what was going on since the ambulance was performing my vital signs right in front of them. And then my RN has the nerve to say "we didn't even know she was pregnant" like I mean this is personal and I had a feeling I was miscarring deep down but was hopeful I would be wrong and did not want to tell people until 3 months had passed cause then chances were high that the pregnancy was fine according to books at 3 months and who reveals they are pregnant that early anyways? I personally never heard anyone reveal that until 2 months have past at least. Not to judge anybody by the way, but I think this way because I feel that incase you have an unsucessful pregnancy you can hide it or at least try to and not have to deal with all the questions or comments since it's not so easy to talk about and it's not like your talking about about having a cold or a stomache flu. Unless your open like that. In this circumstance it's different and beautiful to reach out to each other for help/advice/comments since your really asking for it on this website... Next my doctor sends me for lab work and tells me that it is possible that I have  tubal pregnancy since when he physically pressed on my abdomen to see how many weeks I was and he said that I wasen't pregnant. Well I took 4 home tests and 2 doctor office exams that confirmed I was and he knew that. And at 6 weeks doctors should feel something in a physical exam. So I had to wait one whole week before I had laparoscopy surgery to remove the fetus since the reason I fainted was because it was growing way too fast and that is unnormal and I was at high risk to die. Full recovery took me almost 2 months and I was hosptalized 3 days and heavily medicated. It was very difficult to go back to work and have to put on my best poker face along with all the staff's questions and rumors and gossip. But who cares about that right? sometimes woman worry about stupidities such as that when I should have only worried about whether I was gonna live or die or be able to have children again. But I didn't give up sometimes it's just one of those things that happens in life and we are very lucky nowadays compared to 100 years ago with all the tecknology that has come along. Just imagine back then that when woman had tubal pregnancys and left it undected they for sure passed away. Just keep your head up and I wish the best of luck to you and your next time to get pregnant may be the charm.  I was sucessful to have a healthy 7 pound boy 2 years later. And I've prepared myself this time to not get excited about this pregnancy just in case something goes wrong since your at high risk to have another tubal pregnancy after you've already had one and I choose to wait my 3 months with hopes that I'll go on to deliver a healthy baby before I reveal to family and friends. Only my husbend and mother and whoever reads this post knows that I'm pregnant. And I am spotting red but not all the time with very mild discomfort and have sore breasts for symtoms (symptoms). But I will go and see my doctor tomorrow for the first time since I've learned I'm pregnant. Please take care of yourself and I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you everyone for your kind words, and making me realize that I am not alone with this. ((HUGS)) to all of you that have lost, and the experiences you have endured to get where you are now.
Yesterday was extremely hard on me, after two weeks of cramping, diarrhea, hot/cold flashes, I went to the bathroom and heard a sploosh! sound. When I turned around (thank goodness there wasn't diarrhea at that time), I noticed a clear oblong object, about the size of a twonie (or roughly 2 inches) with a tail on it that was red. I am not sure if it was the empty sac (as my tubal grew from 2.8 cm to 5.8 cm) or not, but at that point I came to terms with what has been happening.
Other thank that, they sent me home from my last ultrasound (which is a good sign I guess) and hopefully will be back at work soon.
Once again, thank you for helping me thru this. It means the world to one that feels like she lost hers.
Hi everyone, I'm new and don't know many of the abbreviations so bare with me. I conceived my first daughter via 2nd IVF. I had one period after stopping breastfeeding. As I was approaching 2 months since that period I was going to call the Dr. to be seen and get priveria meds or whatever I needed to get myself back on track. To my surprise and shock I was pregnant. After just a few days, and a Dr. appt. wherein I was told everything was ok, I didn't feel right Friday. I was trying to tell myself it was just my mind and worry since we conceived naturally this time around...I was sure something had to be wrong. Well after hours in the hospital Friday I was told that I had a presumed ectopic pregnancy. This rollercoaster was too much! My choices were the D & C or Methotrexate. I decided on the shot since I wanted nothing more than to see my daughter. Today is Sunday morning and although today my cramps are slightly more intense I have not yet started to bleed.  How long does this process take??? I just want this to be over with! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have very few women in my family to discuss this with and appreciate any guidance. The sense of loss is really setting in and after reading some of your posts, I am scared to see what's to come oer the next few days. My Dr. told me that only 5% of the time a 2nd shot is necessary. This doesn't seem to be the case in what I have read. I am currently working and dreading the week ahead. My boss is already not very understanding since I've been back after having my daughter who is 8 months old now.  Again, any guidance would be appreciated.
I just had to have a DandC when they didnt find any fetal tissue they knew it was ectopic..I had one shot of the methotextrate..On Wednesday. I spotted a little and now today on Monday I seem to have dropped my Sac and have had some heavier bleeding. The cramps are pretty unbearable I think they dont tell you how bad it can really be. Well Thank you for listening and to all who have lost keep looking ahead and keep trying.....Someone told me even though it didnt work this time at least I know I can get pregnant so why give up...
i just went through the same thing 2wks ago. i am just now starting a normal mens. you are having the same symptoms that i had. slight cramps light bleeding. some dizziness.
have you been really tired too. so far it sounds like everything is running like normal. you have my deepest apologizes for your loss i know what you are feeling.

best of luck.
I have just recieved my methotrex injection 3 days ago and I am experiencing cramping making it hard to walk, cough, (luckily I haven't had to sneeze) and move around quickly. I have not started to bleed and I'm not sure how long I should wait to before getting concerned. I have my follow up appt in 5 days, but I don't want to  wait too long if something is not right.
The question I have for all of you ladies is
How long did it take to start bleeding?
Were you cramping before that bleeding started and for how long?
HELLO EVERY ONE I AM NEW HERE AS WELL, ON MY 3RD ECTOPIC JUST HAD MY SECOND SHOT OF METHO ON THE 26TH IM HAVING MILD BLEEDING AND SOME CRAMPS HOWEVER AM NOW IN A SITUATION WHERE I HAVE NO INSURANCE AND HAVE NO DR TO FOLLOW UP WITH ON MY HCG LEVELS AS THIS IS MY MTHIRD TIME GOING THROUGHT THIS ITS NEVER THE SAME MY EXPERIENCE IN THAT PAST IS THAT MY BODY DOSNT TAKE TO WELL THE THE SHOT I HAVE ALREADY HAD MY TUBE RUPTURE ON THE FIRST OCTOPIC SO IM A BIT SCARED I GUESS IM JUST SEEKING ADVISE ON WHAT TO DO NOW
Hello ladies I too am having an ectopic and yesterday recieved my first metho injection. but what I was wondering is I am already bleeding, so how will I know when it starts to work? and what can I expect from this shot?
Hello all,
I just had my first metho shot on NYE.  This morning, around 4 am, I woke up in excruciating pain.  I tried walking it off but couldn't.  Trying to stand in a fully upright position was impossible.  The doctor's told me in the emergency room that I would have abdominal cramping, but never in a million years would I have imagined it to be so painful.  It was just as bad as the pain I was experiencing that brought me to the ER in the first place - but how does one judge when it's too serious to just sit at home?

My husband gave me two excedrin followed by two midol 30 minutes later.  After applying the heating pad, the pain started to dissipate after lying as motionless as possible.  I'm not sure if it was the pain that went away or the fact that I was just exhausted, but it felt like it had subsided.  

This morning, I was afraid to get out of bed and go through the pain yet again.  Once I finally did and used the bathroom, I noticed I was bleeding.  The doctor's never told me this would happen - in fact, they told me the baby would dissolve in my body but according to many posts here, it seems like it will be passed.  I'm even more mortified now knowing this.  Why would they lie to me?  And I was never told to not take prenatal pills, vitamins, or that I couldn't drink.  In fact, I wasn't even remotely clued in that I would be bleeding for weeks.

I guess I'm going through the right symptoms so far though.  I've been keeping pretty active, cleaning my house constantly, and just doing anything I can to keep my mind off what is happening.  When will this end?  
Hi all. I had a negative pregnancy test on the afternoon on Dec 5 and that evening had my period. 3 or 4 days after I had my period I experienced the sharpest cramps I'd ever felt in my life which lasted for about 15 min then subsided. I then noticed I started spotting. I have had period like bleeding for mostly the entire month of Dec. I finally saw my gyn on Dec 30 and she told me I was pregnant but should see an ob/gyn because she was concerned about the pregnancy. I went to the ER on Dec 31 because it seemed as though my bleeding was increasing. They did an ultrasound and took HCG levels which were 845. Turns out I also had a large cyst near my ovaries which I hoped was causing the bleeding and cramping. Unfortuneatly I had a follow up Dr visit on Jan 1 and my HCG levels only increased to 900 whereas they should have at least doubled within the 48 hrs. My Dr decided to give me the Methotraxate shot also on Jan 1. I was given two shots both in the hip which was pretty painful. I am still having the same symptoms today that I had prior to taking the shot. I'm still bleeding and cramping is probably worse than before. I go to the Dr tomorrow for have the HCG levels tested again but at this point I;m getting frustrated because I've lost my baby, I've been bleeding for a month, and the pain does not seem to be improving.
Hi Emil

I went to my doctor today for the first time since getting my shot on the 31st for bloodwork.  Unfortunately, the pain will continue for a bit until your hormone levels are at zero but the good news it, they should become less and less within time.
I asked for tylenol with codeine because the pain has been tremendous at times.  It sometimes got to the point that I couldn't stand or walk or think straight.

If you feel faint, nauseous or the pains become stabbing, you should call your practitioner immediately.  It's frustrating because it seems they don't offer enough information for a woman to feel secure about what is taking place.  The worst part for me is feeling my baby is still inside me, slowly dying, and there's nothing I can do about it.  It breaks my heart more and more each day.

I'm sorry you are going through this, too.  Bring a list of questions for your doctor.  I went prepared so that I didn't forget anything when my emotions got the best of me.  Good luck to you!

Kat
I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy on 11/19/08 and almost die because of the loss of blood.  Prior to the ruptured, I didn't have any unusual signs or symptoms.  What sad was that I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks prior to the ruptured.  When I call to make my 1st doc's appt, I was about 4 weeks along.  The nurse went through the routine questions and told me that no appts were avail until December 15th (at 12 weeks pregnant).  The nurse informed me that doctors don't see patients until they are between 8-10 weeks along but since no appt is avail, the doc can't see me until my 12th week.  It was my first pregnancy EVER as I just got married in September.  On 11/19, while in excruciating pain and feeling fainted, I called the doc's office and was told that the doc can't see me but the nurse will call me back to see if I need to do something.  The nurse then called and told me to go to the lab and have a blood test along with an ultrasound done.  However, no appt can be made so I will just have to wait for my turn.  I informed her that I couldn't drive due to the pain but I will call and have my husband take me in a couple hours.  I called my husband but was so tired, I could barely talk.  Luckily, my husband came home right away because by that time, I was in and out of conscious.  At the ER, they didn't think it was that serious until my blood pressure dropped down to about 30.  That's when they called the doctor (my doctor, the busy one that I couldn't see).  She performed an emergency operation on me known as a laparoscopy surgery.  Six weeks after the surgery, my HCG level was still at 2700.  She gave me a methotrexane shot on Dec 15th.  Today is Jan 10th and my HCG is at 21.

My question now is that my doctor refused to give me a post-methotrexane lab work to test for the liver and kidney as the methotrexane could cause of some damages to them.  She said she does not do that unless you have a history of liver or kidney's problem.  I don't know what the signs and symptoms of liver and/or kidney's problem are so how would like able to tell whether or not I should be worried?  It has been almost 2 months after the ruptured ectopic pregnancy and I still have some slight pain my stomach especially after a long day of sitting at work and after eating meals.  Lately, I have been having problems with my bowel movements.  Either I can't go or when I do, it's often in a form of diarrhea.  I also have probelms sleeping at night.  Is there something wrong with me?  I'm 30 years old and in good health.  I'm sure why I have so much problems with the pregnancy.  By the way, I had a blood transfusion on Nov 19th, after the laparoscopy surgery.  The doctor said that I lost about 30% of my body's blood.  Without the transfusion, my organs may not survive.  She wanted to give me 4 bags but I opted for 2.

Thank you in advance for any help or comments from any of you
.
I have had 2 ectopic pregnancies. One 5 years ago My second on 1/29/2009. For my first I had a laparacospic surgery. But with the scond I had the methrotexate shot. I do not know what to expect I was given the shot on 1/29/09 I have been bleeding since 1/15/09 I still have pain and my doctor said is normal. I have my doubts. I feel nauses, I have diarrhea and sometimes vomit. How long does it take for all this to go away? A couple a days later after having the shot I went to the washroom and notice that something came out but it happenned more than once it hapened about 5 times.  Help I need more info. Thankyou
Hello everyone,
You don't know how helpful it is to read the experiences of other women who have gone through the same thing as I. I found out I was pregnant while on a trip abroad, I came back to the US and tried getting an appt with my Ob/gyn because of my past history trying to get pregnant and my partially blocked left tube, plus I was recommended for IVF cause I was 32 years old, and not pregnant, even though trying for 3 years.  I was so happy to find out I was finally pregnant, and couldn't wait to have a sonogram to see the baby. I got back to NY and my doctor could not see me until the 8th week of pregnancy ( I guess she figured if it wasn't viable I would just miscarriage.) Well, I was alredy in the 5th week, and feeling like a doctor needed to see me. So I got a new doctor, and she saw me at the 6th week. That's when my doctor found out that my beta HcG level was way too low for that stage of my pregnancy, and explained that one reason could be ectopic. So the sonogram confirmed that there was no fetus where it was supposed to be, but rather in the corner of my uterus.  So my doctor gave me right away a Metho shot, systemic, which was just awful. I got diarrhea, nausea, I could not function and took off from work. 4 days later I got see the sonographer again, and found out that the baby was still alive, there was a fetal heart beat, and I was scared as hell.  So I was given a localized shot right in the uterus of Metho,  This was so painful, I was hospitalized, just for observation because the doctors were afraid it would burst and cause hemorrhaging. I was fine, but my HCG was still 39,000. So since then I have been getting blood work and a sonogram about 2x a week, and the doctors say that everything is going as planned. Today I went to the doctor and the sonogram showed a lot of blood, I could tell the sonographer getting very nervous, but she didn't say anything, running to the doctor to tell him what she saw. The doctor appeared calmed when I met with him, and told me that the linning of the uterus would be coming out, but my dear lord, I never thought I would see what I saw come out of my body just a few hours ago, about 10 days from my second metho shot. The first blood clot was round, and seemed like the fetal sac (i could not see any baby inside), but it was just big and about 3 inches in diameter. A few seconds before it passed I had nausea and I was salivating like crazy, I spit out half a small cup of saliva, which was salty and just watery, not it slimey.I had the most severe cramps just before it happened. I took 3 advils, and had my husband heat up a towel so that I could place it on my belly. That helpef for a few minutes, bu tthe cramping continued, so I went into the tub full of hot water.  That helped but i still had the most excrutiating pain I have ever had. It felt like the pain of 4 periods put together. After my first blood clot passing, I went to lie down on the bed. I stood there for about an hour, and then I had another set of cramps, and I went to the toilet, and right before I sat down, I passed another blood clot. This one was long, about 6 inches, and one side was red like liver meat, the other side was whitish/clear like the insides of the stomach lining. It was so gross, I called my husband to look at it, he was grossed out, but I felt it was imporant for him to see.  
So now I am sitting here and I feel so much better. No more cramps, for now, I hope they stop. It feels like the cycle has been completed, and my uterus feels cleaner and fresher, and I feel like this experience is over.
Well, I feel like my doctors have been wonderful, except for my ob/gyn not been honest about me passing the blood. She specifically said that I would not see a period or blood for 2 months, that my body would just absorb this, which was not true, but now I understand that they possibly say this to you to prevent you from getting scared paranoid about th ewhole experience.
One thing I want to recommend is alternative treatment, such as aromatherapy massage oils. I took a year-long course in aromatherapy, and I decided to make a blend with essential  oils that have abortificent qualities (basil, marjoram, jasmine) and I really feel like massaging the oil on my belly helped.
I hope that all you guys going through this experience work closely with your doctor, and I hope you have good doctors that care about your well-being. Follow-up is so imporant.  Above all, stay positive and trust your inner instincts. My doctor wanted to give me another Metho shot today, and I refused, opting to wait.  
Please heal quickly and pray to whomever you believe in to help you get through this experience.
Warm regards,
NYC Conural Pregnancy
Hi Everyone,

I got an ectopic pregnancy from my 3rd round of IVF (each time we only get one viable embryo, none to freeze).

My bHCG to test whether the IVF was working or not was 15. They told me "I'm sorry it hasn't worked, but looked like it tried to implant, it's our best result yet" I already knew it hadn't worked as I had my period two days before the test, it lasted a week and was the heaviest I'd ever had.

I had to repeat the test a week later to ensure bHCG had returned to 0. However this test came back at 550, a big rise over 7 days. They requested I book in for an ultra-sound the following Monday which would put me at 6 weeks, and advised it was either an intra-uterine pregancy or ectopic. I thought I might be pregnant with a little trooper that had hung on through my period and was just a bit slow to start. My hopes were rising... This was Monday.

Tuesday I rang them to say I had started bleeding again (period finished Sunday). This was different blood - very thin and very bright red and runny. They said, ok come in for a blood test tomorrow (Wednesday).

Wednesday's result: 605, a rise of 100 since Monday. "Have you got any pain they ask?" Now that you mention it, yes, a dull ache in my right side and a lot of cramping. "Can you come in for an ultra-sound right now?" Yes, I can, I'm now freaking out majorly.

Ultrasound confirms 2.5 cm mass in my right fallopian tube. Devastated! Frightened! I was offered laparoscopy to remove the tube (they wouldn't remove the mass from the tube as they believe the risk of scar tissue and repeat ectopic to be too high) or methotrexate.

So I opted for the methotrexate - only warned of mild symptoms such as nausea, mouth ulcers, diarrhoea. I barely got those after the first shot. This was still Wednesday. (bHCG 605)

Next blood test for Monday March 2: bHCG now 1617. How much has it risen?!! Why isn't it working??!! Was told not unusual for a small rise after the injection... Next blood test & possible second metho shot scheduled for Friday.

Tuesday I can't stand it anymore - I ring and ask for another test to be done on Wednesday - my reasoning is that the pain is worsening and if the metho is working my bHCG should have plateaued or dropped by Wednesday, 7 days after the shot. Otherwise if it's still rising, I need the tube out asap, before I rupture in my sleep.

Wednesday bHCG: 1495 - it's dropped just over 100. Panic abating slightly....
Friday bHCG: 1332 - no-where near enough to get 15% below the base level of 605, so another shot of metho.

Sunday night cramping like you wouldn't believe! (well you girls all probably would) I curled up into a ball and lay on the couch moaning.

It's now Tuesday March 10, 2 days later and it still hurts to walk and my ovaries are throbbing, my whole abdomen hurts, stabbing pains in my bottom. The bleeding is worse and frightening - I sit on the loo and it just drips, every 5 seconds. Some large clots are starting to appear.

I have a theory that the metho didn't work so well first time around because I was taking high dose folate - 1000mg folic acid per day, (IVF reccommendation) and had taken some the day of the first shot (when I was oblivious to the ectopic). Maybe it neutralised a lot of the first dose. They should take this into account when they calculate the dosage of the metho.

So I'm booked in for my 3rd shot this Friday (March 13) but I really really hope I don't need it, especially since the side effects seem to be cumulative.

Bye for now.
It is so nice to read these stories to know I am not alone.  Others just don't get it!

2/20 I went in for my 5 week sono (after successful IUI) and they saw nothing, I came home from the Dr and I was cramping so bad - they rushed me to a radiologist - saw nothing.  5 sono's on one weekend & nada!  that Wed I had 2 shots of methotrexate.  Felt totally fine for 2 weeks.  Yesterday after my 2 week blood work (levels went down from 1200-450) I was never in so much pain in my entire life!  8 hours straight if massive pain. 3 Tylenol and a heating pad finally put me to sleep.

They don't tell you the cramping would be that bad!  Also, i've been bleeding for 2.5 weeks.  I feel like there should be one big gush (sorry..) is this what I am waiting for?  

Any advice would be great!
I got my shot on April 2nd and now it is April 18th just this past week I have been having horrible cramping. I actually stopped bleeding after I got the shot. How long does this last?? I know that it isn't so bad that I am having stabbing pains, but it still hurts pretty bad!! Also after the shot I had no cramps until now?? Has anyone else had this??
Glad to find this site where people are describing there pain after a shot! I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy on April 8th, my beta levels were at 1500.  I had gone to my family doctor because I had bleeding one week on and one week off for the last month.  The hospital discovered a 3.5 cm mass in my right ovary.  I was treated with mexotrexate and sent home.  I was feeling FINE, a bit tired, but nothing to complaine about. However, yesterday (two weeks after the shot) I started bleeding lightly and cramping.  Last night the cramps were so severe (a dull ache in my right ovary, pain radiating down my thigh) that my husband took me to the hospital.  I got another ultrasound and more blood work.  My levels are now down to 110 (awesome!) but the mass has not decreased in size, which kind of worried me (as I DO NOT want to have surgery).  However, the doctor said that it will take time to dissolve, but there is no risk of rupture.  They could not really explain my cramps, but just said it is part of it.   I am still having the pain; it almost feels like a migraine in my ovary????  It helped me to read that you were going through something similar, hope this helps alleviate some of your worries.  Please keep me posted.
(as well...I also stopped bleeding 2 days after the shot)
take care,
lee
....correction...found a 3.5cm mass in rigt tube, not ovary.
.....it has been almost 3 weeks since I got the methotrexate shot, my Beta levels as of Friday are down to 28 and I am hoping they will be back to normal by next week.  The ultrasound last week showed that the mass has not decreased in size (still at 3.5cm) and I was curious to know how long it took for your guys masses to dissolve or pass after the shot.  I really want to start exsercising again, but they said to wait until the mass goes down....any input would be appreciated!
Lee
this is my first time on here first i'd like to say sorry to all who experienced this my story is my levels were low but I was pregant it was only 97 and I was bleed ing i've miss carried twice beofre and have a beautiful 10 year old boy but been trying for a long time to give him a sis or brother so getting back so i thouight i was  mis carrying again which is soo hard to go through we;ll they diagnosed me with ectopic and gave me a shot of metrexerate I haven;t stopped bleeding since the day they i was admitted to the er which at that time treated me for threatening miscarriage well i had to go for blood work twice a week to monitor my levels and everyhting was dropping 97 to 80 to 60 after my third time i thought i was gettig closer to being myself again they told me my levels doubled and rushed me for an exam and a shot methotrexate i;m still bleeding but its sytarting to lighten up I also recieved severe cramping 24hrs after but got better now i have to go tomm to check my levels i;m really scrared i've been bleedign for a total of 3 weeks and my boos are still hurting when will i be the same again and why does my chest still hurt  hope the shot worked thanks for letting me share my story if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it also i'm not tired but lil appetite
I was diagnosed with a miscarriage of an ectopic pregnancy on June 11, but it is not in my tubes - it's in the scar of my c-section. I have had 2 rounds of methotrexate. My levels were 44,000 when the first shot was administered 12 days ago and I was down to 12,000 yesterday when they gave me the next two shots. I have had absolutely no bleeding so far. I was 10 weeks along, but the embryo died at about 6 weeks. The doctors don't know much about this type of miscarriage because c-section scar pregnancies are very rare. Just wondering if anyone else has expereinced anything similar. I don't know what to expect. I had no side effects from the first two shots, but today I'm dizzy a lot and having a lot of cramping. The doctors are actually hoping bleeding doesn't start right away because they want the methotrexate to have time to dissolve some of the tissue so that it doesn't rupture the wall of my uterus and cause hemmoraging. There are a couple of surgical options, but they could result in hemmoraging and hysterectomy. We have a one year old son, but we're not ready for the prospect of a hysterectomy! Anybody know anyone who has experienced anything similar? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reading this forum is freaking me out to say the least.  My experience has been since July 9th 2009 when I began to spot.  I stopped that Sunday and then started again that Wednesday after.  Still bleeding and feeling horrible.  I took a pregnancy test to rule it out but it came back positive so I then called my obgyn b/c I knew something wasn't right.  He found a gestational sac but b/c he could see a yolk or fetal pole could not tell me for certain if it was in my uterus or tube.  I was still spotting.

Had HCG levels drawn that day, and Sat.  He called me Monday and said that from the HCG pattern I probably had a tubal but still not 100%.  Monday night late and into Tuesday, I had bad cramping and bleeding, passed a lot of clots and tissue.  I was certain it was over and I had had my miscarriage.  We to the doc on Wed for another HCG draw and exam. He could no longer find the sac that had been there just the week before and the lining was looking good, thinning back the way it should. So I am thinking, this ***** but atleast it is over.  WRONG.  Another HCG draw and then the call,  your levels aren't going down you have an ectopic.  

So I thought I had miscarried, but no, I have an ectopic.  I was already having fever and chills and just not doing well, when I went into the office two days later when I got that call.  I was also bleeding more.  They found the sac in my left tube.  So I got a dose of Methotrexate, my first one, last Friday.  I got my second dose yesterday b/c the levels while not rising as much, still rising.  I had stopped bleeding earlier this week and really estatic.  A MONTH was really enough.

But as of the past hour I am starting to spot, faint but bright pink blood again.  I am not cramping at this time. Every once in a while will feel a twinge on my left side. But no severe cramping that would indicate I am rupturing.  Has anyone thought they miscarriage and then when the thought it was all over, to find out it had only just begun?  And to read these forums. B/c I have also been told that it will dissolve and now to hear that I may pass it.  It really upsets me.  I am tired of bleeding and just want this over with.  

I can't believe your story because it is a lot like yours!  We had been trying for over a year and finally got a postitive!  The excitement only lasted two days because I started to spot!  (6 weeks along)  Through the week spotting continued and I was so devestated when I had bad cramping and tons of bleeding I knew I was miscarrying!  Was so extremely hard mentally!  My doc did surgery to remove polups on my cervix 4 days after my miscarriage.  He said he didn't want to do a DandC because its better for your body to do it on its own!  After surgery he said he removed a little bit of tissue but not much just while he was up there.  He told me to take a pregnancy test a week later and if it was negative than nothing to worry about.  My bleeding turned into spotting and I thought this whole ordeal was over...until i took the pregnancy test..POSITIVE!!  Went to the doc...checked my levels every two days..they were going up, so he wanted to see me did an ultra sound found nothing in my uterus...so he guessed I have an eptopic pregnancy..I am so devestated I thought the miscarriage is hard enough and now this.  I get my first Methotrexate shot tomorrow and I am TERRIFIED!! Especially reading about the experience, I feel like its going to be like a miscarriage all over again..it was SOO painful and emotionally hard I don't want to do this all over again!  I am just wondering if I have an eptopic pregnancy what went on with me 3 weeks ago during my "miscarriage" !! I am so down this is so hard and it seems like all my friends are pregnant, and No ONE understands what I am going through!  I wish there was some way that all of us could meet or something!  Ha!  Thanks for your stories and I hope you are all doing well!  So sorry you have to go through this I don't wish this upon anyone!  Melinda..I would love to hear an update from you!  Please tell me what you experienced!  I am terrified for tomorrow!  
LOVE you all!
JP
Hi Melinda

I have not thought about this site in awhile, but got an e mail update of your post and wanted to re assure you that eventually you will feel normal again.  I went through a very similar experience to yours this past winter.  My husband and I had been trying to conceive for about 8 months and then in February we found out I was pregnant and that same week I started cramping and bleeding and I knew it was a miscarriage (5 -6 weeks along) went to the hospital and they told me it was a complete miscarriage, although hard I was happy not to have to have a D&C….however I continued bleeding on and off for the next 6 weeks and my doctor kept telling me it was to do with the miscarriage.  I decided to go to another doctor who examined me and sent me straight to the emergency for an ectopic pregnancy.  (this was about 6-7 weeks after the first miscarriage).  They told me I needed to have two shots of methotraxate and I was very scarred.  Looking back now, I am relieved that I did not have to have surgery.  I know it is a very emotional time for you right now, but don’t worry too much about the shot, they put one in each of my butt cheeks (lol…my humility went out the window that day)! I bled a bit the week after the shot (trying to remember), but nothing drastic and had a bit of cramping, nothing severe (however, I do get extremely bad periods, so it is hard for me to judge).  It took about 6 weeks for my Beta levels to return to normal and I got my period around the same time.  My periods since the ectopic have been on schedule, but very heavy with lots of clots.  I was trying to figure out how I had lost two pregnancies so close together.  The doctors told me it could have been two causes 1. That the ectopic pregnancy went unnoticed during the first miscarriage (so there were initially two embryos, one miscarried and the other grew in the tubes unnoticed till weeks later) or 2. I had the miscarriage and then got pregnant again two weeks later .  I feel it was the second.
Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
Our stories sound very similar and two months after the ectopic we wanted to start TTC again so I had my blood work done to make sure everything (esp. my folic acid levels) were back to normal and that’s when I found out I have a severely underactive thyroid that most definitely contributed to the miscarriage.  I’ve been dealing with that now for the last few months, my thyroid levels finally went back to normal last week, so we are going to start trying again soon.
I have learned a lot this past year, mostly that you can not plan for the big things in life, sometimes you just have to let it go and accept that it will happen when it happens and how much more we will appreciate it when it does.  
If you have any questions please feel free to ask, it definatley helps to talk about it and not everyone understands.  

Take Care today!!
Leanne
sorry meant to direct my post to JP, but happy if anyone else can relate
Lee
hello, I had an ectopic "cervical" pregnancy that was ended because of how low it was.  I was not given much time to think of it because apparently I was in danger.  They gave me a methotrexate injection under anestecia and I had a second intervention 2 days later for another injection of (potassium or something like it) to stop the heartbeat of the fetus.  I was told that if nothing progressed I would need a second methotrexate injection.  A week after, I had left the hospital and was under observation by my dr.  regular blood tests for hcg are taken weekly my 2 last ones went from 7 000 to 800 Ive had 2 major "excrutiating" cramps/abdominal pains in which a great amount of blood is passed, no clots just almost liquidy.  I am taking some paracetamol during this times and breathing as if I was given birth..or so I guess as this is my first.  I have dr appointments almost every week to 10 days in which they do a sonogram to check the status, it had diminished but still there.  Because my case is apparently "rare" and it is situated very low, they are afraid of a hemorrage so I am to call/got to the hospital if abundant bleeding is present.  It has helped to read this as you tend to feel lost and like a total failure.  But I wanted to share some information with everyone.  You will feel severe pain, take the meds they prescribe and have them handy.  Keep active but also take it easy, there are lots of changes going on inside.  The last case I was told as mine took 6 months for her to release everything.  My case does not allow for D&C, or any other removal as it can be "dangerous".  Trying to avoid a hysterectomy.  I guess everyone's body is different, I hope my situation does not take 6 months.  I hope I get to release everything in less time.  I try not to think of the little angel I lost, but focus on a better next time.  I wish everyone strength.  By the way, Im in europe, Im sure they do everything different over here but so far I have been told pretty much what to expect, oh yes, I had a list of questions as I had to translate...it hasn't been easy.  I hope I never have to go through this again.  
LostinEurope
Thank you so much for commenting on this.  I have never done one of these message board things so I think it is pretty awesome to have other people who know what I am going through to an extent.  So since the last time I have written I got a shot of methotrexate and a week later checked my HCG levels and they had only gone down a about 200 so they sent me back and I got another injection on friday and I have to go tomorrow for blood work and if my levels have not changed enough I might have to get surgery (laproscopy) and have the fetus/tissue removed.  The shots have not done anything for me.  I have not felt any difference, infact my bleeding has almost near disappeared in the last few days.  I am really frustrated because I just want this all to be over!  Also I am nervous because I have been told that the surgery has a risk of loosing your falopian tube??  I don't want that to happen because I have already had a hard time getting pregnant I don't want to cut my chances in half!!!  Has anyone else every had methotrexate not work for them??  Thanks for the advice about thyroid..I would have never thought about that!  Hope all is well and thank you again!
JP
Hi JP,

Im sorry you had to go back for another shot.  I am trying to remember how long it took for my levels to return to normal and what rate they decreased at.  I think it took about 6-7 weeks for them to get below 5.  I believe I have the numbers at home, i will have a look and get back to you, but dropping 200 in a week sounds similar ??? I also remember thinking I would have a lot of bleeding, but I didn't either.  The doctor told me not to expect bleeding like you would with a miscarriage because your uterus is not shedding, rahter the shot just breaks up the mass in your tube.  I hope your results tomorrow are better than lastweek.  

Leanne
Good luck with the shot tomorrow!  I luckily just had to have one, but the side effects were HORRIBLE!  If I ever have to choose something like that again, I'll opt for the laparoscopy, which I've had in the past as well, for cysts.  My bleeding has finally stopped, I bled for nearly 1 1/2 months!  Ugh!  Now I'm starting to feel better too, hooray!  I wish you all the best, let us know how tomorrow goes, what are your HCG levels?  I still have to go for one more blood test this week, but I'm sure I'm at zero now.  Take care.  I plan to have that fallopian tube xray done next month, HSG??  Hopefully they're clear, or they find something to fix....and fix it!
Hi JP,

I found the calendar I had used to track the decline of my BETA levels once I was given the Methorexate shot.  Hope this is helpful:
week one: ectopic found, shot given, Beta levels at 1400
week two : Beta level 562
week three:  Beta Level 120
4 days later:  Beta level 28

Everyone is different though, but I know when I was going through this it was helpful to read about other people's experiences.  Hope you are doing alright.

Leanne
Thanks for writing!  So i went and I got my levels checked and they went down almost by half!!  I was at 956.  YAY i am so relieved! So I go tomorrow and hopefully they will still be going down!!  BUT thanks to you ladies who answer my questions i have some more for you!  The dr. office didn't really tell me what the next step is, the nurse just said: "looks like they are going down so that's good! Go in and get it checked again and if it is still going down then you should be ok."  So I am just wondering if there is any follow up things I need to be checked for like you KAagson you are having a falopian tube XRay??  They have said nothing to me about any follow up things.  I feel like it wasn't just a fluke thing that I am having an eptopic prenancy and I have researched that there are reasons behind them...I would hate to go through this all over again just to then figure out my problem???  PLEASE HELP if you know anything??  ONce again thank you thankyou thankyou for helping me!
LOVE YOU ALL
JP
Thanks for your comment about not feeling anything or bleeding because that is exactly what I was feeling, and now I feel somewhat normal.  (like any of this is normal) :)
JP
Hi!  Well glad to hear your numbers are going down!  I actually asked the doctor many questions and requested the HSG (xray) myself.  I am scheduled for it next month, after my next "normal" period.  No one really told me anything to expect either, so I asked and researched the internet!  I agree, there has to be a REASON for the ectopic, and if there is a reason, I want to know what it is and if we can fix it!!!  Sites like this and asking a lot of questions has certainly helped.  Go ask your doctor, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get tests done!  I wish you well!!!  :)  Let me know what happens too!!!
Great to hear your levels are dropping and surgery will not be necessary.  I remember I really wnated to have an ultrasound once everything was over, but they said it was unnecessary.  Once the levels were back to normal their was nothing to worry about.  I was worried!!
If you can push for them to give you one, go for it, It defintatley would have made me feel better at the time.  
I have no idea why I had an ectopic, couldn've been a stupid sperm who didn't have good directions, a lazy egg.... perhaps the  joint I smoked that month!!! really I will never know! Just try not to put it on yourself, stress is defiantely one of the worst deterrents for getting pregnant.  
The best thing to do is get your family doctor to do some blood work and make sure all your levels are what they should be.  I wish I had my time back when we first started trying I would have done my blood work right away.
My thyroid (TSH) level finally went back to normal last month, we were given the go ahead to start trying again, my period is now 3 days late, but im so nervous to test....those stupid tests never work for me...lol.  
all the best.
I am 21 years old and fell pregnant unexpectedly, I have had extremely bad "medical help" from "professionals". In the start of my pregnancy, I had bad back aches, cramps, nausea and bleeding, I took myself to the ER 9 times in 2 weeks with my doubts and was sent home each time with the doctors advising that I was threatening miscarriage and was also advised to terminate the pregnancy, much to my despair may I add. In the end, my symptoms got worse and forced myself to terminate the pregnancy as I felt I had no other option, (please no nasty horrible comments, I did not want this at all, but ended up taking the "professional advice") after the termination, I still had these symptoms, so once again took myself to ER, where they then detected another baby in my fallopian tubes, ectopic pregnancy. So I was the 1 in 4million chance of a twin ectopic pregnancy. In the end I was given the Methotrexate injection on the 4th October 2009  my hCg levels dropped within two days. I am still having light bleeding, but with horrible almost excruciating back aches and abdomen cramps with nausea and vomiting which I thought was all normal, but something new I have noticed is a quick, sharp stabbing pain starting in my shoulder, so I wanted to know if anyone has had similar ongoing pain like mine, or if these new symptoms are something to become worried about. How long after the injection should these symptoms subside, (it has been 4 days)
Hi everyone I am back!  My levels are still not to zero but they are 36!! GOsh this is the longest process!  I just want it to be over with.  Another thing I want to know is...Did any of your doctors give you a timeline of how long you should wait before trying to get pregnant again?  My doctor said I just have to wait one full cycle before starting on Clomid again, but i have heard others say they should wait 3 months or so.  Also my doctor said I didn't have to stop "trying" just that I had to wait to take fertility drugs.  Also I am terrified to get pregnant again, what are the odds of having another eptopic?  
For Jencurrie-I am so sorry about your experience, I had a miscarriage and a 2 weeks later found out that I was also having an eptopic so I don't know forsure how that happened but my best guess would be twins??  SO in answer to your question i never felt the pain in my shoulder?  I would call your doctor if it doesn't go away and tell them your concerned about it!  HOpe things get better for you!
Love
JP

Glad to hear your numbers are going down, but yes it is a frustrating time waiting for them to reach zero.  Before you start tying again I would get your blood tested just to make sure your folic acid levels are fine (the methotrexate depletes them).  
I also had a miscarriage and then an ectopic two weeks apart.  With me they were not sure if it was a misdiagnosis of the originial miscarriage actually being an ectopic orBefore trying again we waited until my levels were back to zero and I had one normal cycle (and had my folic levels tested).....still trying...ugh!
All the best to you ladies!
Lee
Can anyone help me with this?  I was about 8 wks along when I miscarried.  I had a d&c and my HCG was still going up.  They finally found the sac (a little less than 3cm) and decided to give me the shot.  I got the shot a day ago and have had no cramping or bleeding.  Does this mean it is not working?  My HCG was only 600 when the shot was administered.  I just don't want to have surgery and am ready for this process to be over with!!!
Thanks so muc
hi there,

having no cramping or bleeding is normal.  I don't think I bled at all.  The shot breaks up the mass and your body re absorbs it.  I was worried also that I would have to get surgery.  It took about 6 weeks for my Beta levels to return to normal and I got my period around the same time. My levels were around 1500.  Good luck with everything.
Hey-
   When I got my shot I didn't bleed or feel anything for over a week, they gave me another shot and things happened SLOWLY barely any bleeding.  I know it takes some time, hang in there, there is no need to worry unless your levels DO NOT GO DOWN.  Hope this helps!
JP
Ladies,
Reading this posts makes me feel like I am not alone.  I have gone through hell during the last month.  I miscarried at 5 wks, had a D&C went back and was told I needed another D&C! went back to the doctor a three weeks later and was told my numbers are not coming down fast enough so I had a shot of methotrexate!  I feel like I have no choice but to trust this doctors, they told me my pregnancy planted very high on my right side.  Ectopic? they "dont think so"  My question is what do I expect from this shot?  I feel a little nausea but did anyone get any side effects?  My HCG is at 1200 right now.  I hope I only need one shot of this stuff.  I am trying to stay strong and pray.  
I've recently been going through my second ectopic..  the first was 10 years ago and I collapsed at work... lucky to be here to tell the tale..

anyway, about 3 weeks ago I had some pains in the ovary area and when I had an ultrasound, they ended up finding an ectopic on the other side..

I opted for the methotrexate as I really wanted to "save my tube"..  

so after the first injection my bHCG levels doubled and the foetus was growing larger..  I had a second injection which made me extremely tired and ill.. but I still felt that something was growing inside me... when on the sunday a week after the 2nd methotrexate (administred on a friday), I felt the need to call an ambulance.

It was touch and go for a while as I felt my body going into shock.. I felt like I was levitating on the bed in spasmodic convulsions.. with someone trying to find a vein to prepare me for surgery and my veins had all started to shut down..

my poor partner had to witness all this.. and now I look fine but feel like ****...

I've had my left tube removed, along with about 1 and a half litres of  blood that was in my abdomen.

Have excruciating shoulder tip pain... but I am alive..

I am so sorry you also have to go through this aweful experience, it is definitely not easy.  Some people have many side effects some people not much.  I felt a little tired, and nauseated.  My levels were at 1600 when I got my first shot and I had to get a second also.  I felt nothing bled very little and with the second one I bled a little more. I was surprised I didn't feel more or experience MORE bleeding.  But before I knew I had an eptopic I experienced a miscarriage and a few weeks later my levels were still rising, so I think I might have lost a lot of blood and tissue during that.  I hope it goes well.  Don't be surprised if you have to have 2 injections.  Hang in there, it will eventually start getting better.  It's so hard to go through.
JP
Once again, I have another question for you gals who have experienced this.  I finally started my first cycle after all this and I started bleeding A TON!!!  I had to go to the doctor because I was filling a pad an hour.  My doctor put me on NUVA RING for three weeks to put me back in a regular cycle and hopefully get me ovulating again.  My question is..how were your first few cycles after everything? Have any of you gotten pregnant? How long did it take? Were you scared?  THanks hope you can answer any of these!
JP
Hi JP,

I had my methotrexate shot in beg. of April and got my period about 5 weeks later.  The first 2-3 cycles were much more heavier and clotter.  I still have a lot of little clots; I have been researching estrogen dominance/ low progesterone to see if this is the cause of some of my symptoms, such as: horrible cramps, long menstrual cycle, clotting, ovulation pain, etc.
Unfortunately, I have not been pregnant since the ectopic (I did have to wait 4 months though due to issues with my thyroid) we have been trying again for the last 3 cycles, no luck yet.  We decided to take a break this month (I just need a break from checking levels and anticipating that I could be pregnant).  
I am grateful though that this experience has made me much more informed about my body.  A friend of mine bought me a great book: Taking charge of your fertility - I have found it very helpful, check it out.
All the best and keep in touch (it def. helps talking about all this to people who understand).
Lee
hi all

i am new here. thanks for providing all your experiences. i'd my MTX injection on 10th of november and my hcg at that time was 4513. on the day of the injection i'd a little bit of stomach upset and the first thing the doctor told me was to stop any folic acid intake. scheduled blood test for 11/14, 11/17 and then weekly.

there is no bleeding or no cramping yet for me. i dont know whether it is normal to feel this way or am i too early to feel these symptoms?
It has been a while but wanted to catch you up on my experiences since August.  I waited and waited after that second injection and had to go to the doc wkly for blood draws.  HCG going down but not very rapidly.  From that second shot in August through the week prior to Thanksgiving, my OBGYN kept holding out and then right before thanksgiving, I got Methotrexate injection #3.  Yes, #3.  He had also said it HCG did not drop from #3, then I would be referred to an oncologist for further testing.  From August to November I continued to bleed having cycles about every two week with cramping to boot.  My hair is seeing changes at well. It is thinner, darker and frankly it gets oily really quick, like can't go 12 hours without looking like I need a shower.  Very bizzare. The Methotrexate is all I can attribute it to.  On Dec 22nd, I got the call that HCG was down to 3 HCG which apparently is as good as zero, so I am finally done and no Oncology referrals.  My ectopic Ordeal took about six months to resolve.  I talked to my pcp about it and his comment was that my body just didn't read the text book.    I have noticed that when my cycles come they are much more painful now than ever. The last one I had to ask for pain meds and as I sit here and type I am bleeding again and ready for another dose of pain meds to dull it.  I really hope that goes away.  I will have to be on birth control for atleast 3 months before my husband and I can think of trying again.  

I really hope that no one has to deal with this the way that I had to.  it was very long.  I think just the 48 hours of bleeding and miscarriage would have been much easier if I didn't have a weekly reminder for the past several months.  I am just thankful it is over.  Thank you all for your thoughts and support.  
Hello everyone.  I have been bleeding since the 4 December 2009 and I found out on the 8 January that I am 5 weeks pregnant, but its ectopic.  My BHCG was 801 when I first had the MTX shot ( 10 January 2010) at 5pm and I have now found out that my BCHG levels are now in the 400s.  I was initally frightened of the pain I heard about when having this injection.  But I started having slight pains in my back and tummy on the 12 January 2010 at approximately 13:30 and this subsided approximately 4 hours after.  I took some paracetomol with codeine in as I was at work at the time.  I am still bleeding, I hope this stops soon!
Hi All.  I am so saddened by everyones stories.  I can't believe this happens so often - I would not wish this on anyone.  In August last year I was told I had a heterotopic pregnancy (one in the uterus and one ectopic) - this happens in 1 in 30,000 pregnancies.  I miscarried first (which was when they found the ectopic).  I had a salpingectomy (tube removal).  I had to wait 3 months before trying again.  I fell pregnant again in November only to be told I was again miscarrying.  Once again, they then discovered an ectopic.  I had methotrexate on Christmas Eve.  I have been told very little about the after effects of the drug and find that 5 weeks on, and 2 weeks after I stopped bleeding, I still have pain on both sides.  I never passed any sac so am concerned that it may not be complete.  I don;t have another scan or meeting with the gynae until April.  Does anyone know where to find further information on the web?  Does anyone have any info on whether it would be safer to try IVF next time?  I was blessed with a little girl who is now 2 prior to all this so I will have to pay for IVF.  Any information would be gladly received.  Good luck to you all.
I found out I was pregnant on Jan 19th and by Jan 26th I started getting brown discharge. On Monday Feb 1st I went to the doctor's/ The discharge was only showing up when I wiped myself and I was doing a lot of lifting...... Well, at 11:30 I was told I had an ectopic pregnancy. With my 3 1/2 year old I had to run to the local hospital and get the metho injection and bring it back to the dr's to administor. I was in shock that this was happening. I have only had 3 positive pregnancy tests.... I have a 6  1/2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old...... This was number 3 for pregnancy tests....... I have had 2 c-sections...(wonder if they injured one of my tubes) I have never had any infections, never done drugs, only one partner in 15 years.........why this then?????? Anyway, so today, still no cramping, bleeding, nothing. when is it all going to start. I want to get this over with......Doctor never told me not to take vitamins.... luckily I read the internet.........luckily we did not tell anyone............ I want to make sure by Monday this is all done. I have an ultrasound to make sure. I want to avoid surgery........ Such an unpleasant thought. Thank you for all your notes on here. Glad I am not alone. I am only 32 as well. I wonder why this happened. Just get the shot, bring it here and that is that. No why, what to do, expect, nothing........... It is not pleasant for anyone......ugh!!!
BTW my HCG levels are 4800...
has anyone had a "pregnancy of unknown location"??
I've had 2 untrasound and they still can't locate anything but my BHCG levels are slowly rising.
I'm 7weeks pregnant and have been told to have a methotrexate injection, but I'm worried that it will effect my future fertility, Dr said it shouldn't but I'm so cofused and worried.
Have any of you girls had a sucessful pregnancy after methotrexate injections?? I'm a healthly 25yo and this is my first prenancy.
Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that I had a methotrexate shot last year and yes, it is very scary especially since you have to act so quickly.  you feel like you don't have time to think about much. It sounds odd that they are unable to locate where the mass is? You would think by 7 weeks they would be able to see the mass? Make sure you have your questions answered so you feel comfortable with the procedure.
To answer your question I am 2 months pregnant right now and so far so good....It has been almost a year since my ectopic pregnancy, many girls go on to have normal pregnancies after receiving this shot.  Just make sure your folic acid levels are back to normal before you start trying again (the shot depletes your folic levels).  
Allow yourself to go through the emotions you need to go through and know that you will get through this and when you do have a successful pregnancy you will be that much more appreciative!
All the best!
Lee

Hi Lee

thanks for that, just had the shot today but I hate myself for it. I just keep thinking and asking if you don't know where it is how do you know it's in the wrong place, but had the ultrasounds at 2 different places and neither could see where it is located. At first I thought they had just made up the term "pregnacy of unknown location" but the doctors and early pregnancy nurse was sure that I had no other option (I wasn't offered surgery as they would be going in blind and would have to search around until they found it)

Congratulations and best wishes for this pregnancy, let me know how your going and when your healthy baby arrives!!

ness xo
To Ness,

Don't put any blame on yourself, you had no choice when it comes to these types of pregancies you have to act fast or you could be risking your own life.   If the embryo was in your uterus they definately would have seen it there by 7 weeks, so try not to second question yourself.  The next few weeks will be hard until your levels go back to normal.  I found the postings on this site very helpful for me when I was going through all this, hopefully they will make you feel like you are not alone.  Sometimes you just have to trust that it wasn't meant to be THIS TIME, but soon it will happen.  

Take Care,
Leanne
Hello everyone! Glad I found this post! I am a 27 YO, who has had the injection a little over 2 weeks ago. 2Morrow I get my levels checked, but I have been having pains here and there, No bleeding since week 2. Constant gas like pains that can last up to 3 hours. Has anyone had similar pains? Midol seems to ease the pain but I don't want to cause any liver damage to myself. Anyone HERE?
I went in for a normal prenatal appt and the doc thot i was about 9-10 weeks. Some lady didnt show for her ultrasound so they decided to give me one that day. I had a abdominal ultrasound and 2 vaginal ultrasounds before they sent me for blood work. i was told not to eat incase i needed surgery. When she called me, she stated my HCG levels were over 25,000!!!!! she said most women are in the 5-7000 range. i was rushed into emergency surgery where she removed the pregnancy and my left falopian tube. I want into doc yesterday for a follow up and my HCG level is still 177. i have to retest tomorrow again.
Hi everyone,

I, too, have had an ectopic pregnancy. It took over a week to diagnose an ectopic pregnancy and I was very reluctant to have the metho injection. However, I was told that surgery was the only alternative and that they would almost definitely remove my tube.

I had the injection six days ago and am going for blood tests tomorrow in order to see whether the HcG has gone downby a sufficeint percentage,

I have had a few really bad days. Three days ago I had chronic nausea and projectile vomiting. And in the past two days, I have had bad cramping and quite heavy, bright red bleeding. I also lost a clot today which freaked me out a bit!

My husband has said that although I feel like rubbish, it will hopefully mean that the drugs are working and that I won't need a further dose. We are very keen to start TTC as soon as possible so one injection is preferable. That and the fact that this one has made me feel 'yuk'.

It's really reassuring to see that so many other people have gone through the same thing and that I am not alone in my side effects. It kind of feels like a final insult in addition to losing a very much wanted baby in the first place :-(

Fingers crossed I will go on to have a healthy pregnancy like many of you have,

Thank you,

Sarah

xxx
Hello everyone,

I have made a couple posts on this page about my experience last year with an ectopic pregnancy and I just wanted to update you on my situation - hopefully it will give a little re assurance to those girls trying to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy.  
I am now 4 months pregnant and everything is going as it should.  It took us about a year to get pregnant after the ectopic, but that was mostly due to finding out I had an issue with my thyroid, once that was under control I got pregnant - good luck to you all!
Yes, thank you so much for your news, it really is encouraging to know you are pregnant and doing good really well.  This forum has given me more information than any of the doctor's and nurses have!  Obviously those folks have not gone through it.  

I found out I was pregnant on a Thursday at a routine PAP exam.  I'd asked them to check my urine for pregnancy, because I suspected, even though an at home test was negative.  I was pregnant.  My husband and I were elated because I'm 39 and we've been trying for a couple years.  I was actually having pretty good cramps that very day I found out, so I asked PA about it.  She said as long as I wasn't bleeding, I was fine.  She referred me to an OB, because she only does PAPs, and my first OB appt was two weeks out.  

The next day, Friday, I asked a nurse at my OB's office if I should be seen earlier because of my cramping, and she told me I was fine as long as I wasn't bleeding.  Over the weekend, I had mild cramping off and on, nothing too major.  But the next Wednesday, my cramps were so bad that I went to the hospital.  After 8 hrs of hell in the ER, they sent me home saying I was fine.  An ultrasound (exterior) found nothing in my tubes, and they could not see the baby but said it was because I was so early pregnant (6 to 8 weeks).  They specifically said I did not have an ectopic, and gave me various explanations of why I might be cramping.  They took my HCG level, it was at 2600.  They told me to have my blood drawn in two days to make sure it was going up.

Two days later, I went to my OB's office, just to draw blood for the HCG test.  I begged (and cried) to get in to an earlier appt, otherwise I still had to wait a week.  Well they got me in.  A vaginal ultrasound immediately revealed the ectopic in my right tube, exactly where my pain was at.  The doc said I was a good candidate for the methotrexate.  So I got my shots (2) that same day.  By the way, I specifically asked my doc if I should stop my prenatals, since he explained how the shot worked.  He said I could still take them.  Yet every website says NOT to take your prenatals.  So I'm not.

My cramps started last the next night, Saturday.  My doctor TOTALLY underestimated the pain, I was very close to going back to the hospital when the pain meds kicked in.  Thankfully my doc was kind enough to give me a scrip for pain meds and I had already filled it!  It took 30 minutes for it to work, and I think it's the worst 30 minutes of pain I can remember.  And it came on SUDDENLY, not gradually like my period cramps do.  I had to take a new pain pill every 4 hours on the dot or I was doubled over again.  For the record, I have a fairly high pain tolerance.  Knee surgery, back surgery, car accidents, etc.    

I should note that I did not start bleeding right away, I had cramps for 4 days before I started spotting at all.  Yesterday, I needed no pain meds, and then at 3am, they came back with a vengenace, almost as bad as the first night!  So I'm on day 5 after the shot (Wednes), the cramps are steady and I need the pain meds but not as often.  The bleeding is picking up a little, still dark brown, but now starting to contain mucousy material.  I'm dreading the rest, but I want to get past it.  

So the moral of my story is LISTEN to your body.  I'm a firm believer that God gave us instincts for a reason.  I knew I was pregnant even though the home test said I wasn't.  I knew there was something wrong, the cramps were too intense.  I was ignored and poo-poo'd like "Oh silly woman has just never had a baby and doesn't know what's going on."  I thank God that he made me persistant, I could have had a ruptured tube before anyone listened to me.  

Good luck everyone.  LARD30, I hope I'm as lucky.  My husband and I were so excited, I'm 39 and we'd been trying for several years.  Our hearts were just broken and I hope I can come on this forum and give a happy ending to my story like yours!  

AZRedhead39
I have been give one dose off methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy am only 24 this is the first time this  has happend am on day 10 and have been very sleepy and had a lot pain in my left side could anyone help is the right my hmg has droped to 170 now and am  on weekly blood test my next one is not for 5 more days can anyone help is this how it should be
I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy April 7th at 10 am and was rushed into emergency surgery that night at midnight to remove the ectopic from the tube, my gyno was able to save the tube, a week later i was back in emergency suffering from the same pain that took me to the hospital in the first place.The Hcg levels had gone up, i was bleeding very heavily. Again they gave me both external and internal ultra sound, still nothing was found, a weel later the hcg levels had doubled again, last week i was given two injection of MTX , the first day i was very tired, still bleeding but that hasnt stopped in 3/4 weeks, it is now going on 4th day and i am experiecing severe pain , i certainly hope this is resolved soon, I am 38 this year and am still wanting another child before I am 40.My first pregnancy was caesaerean i too am wondering if damage was done to the tube.Has anyone had really bad side effects from this drug?
Hello everyone! This site has made me feel 100% better about what has been going on with me. I had my Mirena IUD for almost a year after having my 1st child. My period had been every 28 days. Very heavy though. Now it was due on the 23rd of April, I had been cramping for over a week and it still wasn't here. I took a test, it was negative. It had been a week and a half since my period was due. I took a total of 5 test, as stated before the 1st was negative. The last 4 were positive, but the pregnancy line was faint on all of them. I went to the docs on Thursday May 6th, to get the pregnancy confirmed, and have the IUD taken out. They did the pregnancy test, there's was pos as well. They started asking me questions. I informed them I had a mirena IUD. The nurse was in shock. The doctor came in, said we usually won't do a sono if you're continuing pregnancy, but because you have an IUD I want to. While she did the pelvic exam, she said she could still see the strings of my IUD. She says usually when you get pregnant and your IUD is still in place, it's an ectopic pregnancy. The doc did the intravaginal ultrasound, didn't see the baby growing in my uterus. She sends me to the ER, they draw my blood, and do a sono. They said my hcg level wasnt high enough for a normal pregnancy, and its looks like the sac is growin in my left tube. In the ER they remove my IUD, and give me a shot of Methotrexate, to dissolve the baby, so that they won't have to surgically remove it. I had my blood drawn again Mon. May 10th, to see if the shot was working, my level more than tripled, It went from 500 to 1800, which means it isnt. I was still not in any pain or bleeding. They don't know why and I should be over 6wks. I went back May 13th for another blood draw and sono. My level again had still risen to over 2000. They gave me a 2nd dose, 2 shots in my hips. I had my levels drawn yesterday, I go back on Wed. and my doc appt is on Thurs. I do feel like the 2nd dose is working, because now I am on my period. Well atleast that's what I think it is. It started on Saturday the 15th. I have some tissue in it, some small clots. We will see what happens. I'll stay in touch. And thank you to everyone that has taken the time to share their experiences to help others who are in the dark about what's going on.
Wow.  I'm going through almost the same experience as you.  I think we conceived around April 10 while using Mirena.  Mine, too, was in it's proper position.  I had it removed and have been having my blood drawn every so often to check the levels.  I never had any pain, and my beta levels increased like normal.  We went in this last Wednesday for our 'new OB' apointment to have the sono and see the heartbeat and everything.  When we got into the sono, they couldn't see a baby in my uterus.  There was no sac, nothing.  They found a 3 cm mass near my left ovary and said they then thought it was ectopic.  I should be around 9 weeks, and my beta is near 10,000.  They checked my levels again on the Friday and they had gone up 500.  Another sono still didn't show anything, so I was given the methotrexate injection.  I had my blood drawn today, and have to have it drawn again Friday, and every Friday thereafter until my levels are down to 0.  I've had really light pink spotting, just like I was having every now and then while pregnant, and today I've had little tinges of pain on my left side where they found the mass.  I've also had a dull, aching sort of pain in my left shoulder.  It's not a serious pain though, but I'm starting to become concerned that the shot didn't work for me and the mass is still growing.  I'll call and receive my beta levels in about an hour, but my doctor already told me she would expect them to go up since methotrexate starts to break down the pregnancy which then releases the hcg into the blood.  I still would like to know just what they are.  Fingers are crossed that it's working...
my blood draw today had my beta up to 11,540 at 4 days past the methotrexate shot...I'm worried it's not working.  I go in again Friday to have it checked again.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  It helps tremendously when you have so many questions.  I, too, had/have an ectopic pregnancy (6-8 wks) and had the methotrexate shot on Thursday- within a couple of hours the cramping became almost unbearable and I was vomitting, dizzy and couldn't see straight.  Returned immediately to ER - gave me fluids, anti-nausia and pain meds.  I am on day 17 (which is the lightest day) of bleeding, fatigue and mild cramping.. it is 2 days after my shot, if I have been bleeding this whole time without seeing any clots, will this continue until I pass a "mass"?  Wondering how much longer this will go on.  I have follow-up labs Mon, 3rd ultrasound Wed, labs Thurs., am just worn out from the process and hope to hear it is almost over.  Thanks and God Bless!
On June 7th we found out we were pregnant (1st time) and were so excited to share the news with family for our 1st anniversary at the end of the month.  On Wed. June 16th I had severe cramping and pain in my lower back and left side of lower abdomen and then began bleeding.  Doctor said nothing I could do about it this early if I was miscarrying (6 weeks).  Went in for scheduled u/s on Mon. 21st and they could not find anything over abdomen or transvaginal u/s.  Sent for bloodwork, it was low 1,200+.  Sent back on Wed. 23rd to make sure going down, but it had gone up to 1,600.  Scheduled me for another u/s Fri. 25th this time nothing found again over abdomen but with transvaginal they found a 2cm mass on my left ovary.  Sent for bloodwork, again went up to over 2,100.  Went back to doctors office, where they performed a biopsy of my uterus to see if any evidence I had miscarried back on 16th and mass on ovary was just a cyst.  But that came back negative, so they gave me option of Metho shot or surgery to treat my ectopic pregnancy.  I went for Metho shot back at hospital that day.  After waiting over an hour they came and got me only to tell me that I was Rh negative so I also had to get the RhoGAM shot to protect future pregnancies.  Another hour and a half passed and I was given one shot in each hip.  No adverse symptoms that night (other than needing ice pack on Metho hip for a while) or for the next two days.  The following day out of no where I had pain so severe in my abdomen and back that I could not stand up straight nor sit down, I could only lay on my side with my knees pulled up.  (FAR above and beyond the slight cramping they said I may experience!)  This pain went on for hours and was only slightly helped by three advil.  Sitting in a warm tub helped until I got out and the pain came back quickly.  This went on all day and most of the night until I finally fell asleep.  When I woke up the next day I went to use the bathroom and passed a deep red and grayish mass about 2cm.  After this I started to feel somewhat better (other than of course now the severe emotional pain of realizing this was our baby).  That day I was able to sit, stand, and even walk (but very slowly).  Throughout the day I passed two more similar size masses.  Over the next several days pain and cramping continued to go away.  It is now a week later though and I am still bleeding and I now have terrible aching pain in my right arm (from my should down to my wrist).  Not sure if this is at all related.  As of Saturday (5 days after the masses passed) my hcg has gone down to 1,278.  My heart goes out to all of you girls.  As I said, this was our first pregnancy and I had no risk factors for an ectopic pregnancy.  The doctors just told me I had some bad luck this time, but they have given me hope that many women go on to have normal pregnancies in the future.  My husband and I are waiting for a while to try again, though, as this has been too much to deal with.
Hi all, Im so glad Ive found this site and have spent the evening reading your posts.  I thought I had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago (Im 37 and this was a shock to me) and then took a severe pain up my backside on Monday evening.  This went away and then on Tuesday morning I got up for work as usual and went in to get a bath.  The pain I took was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my entire life.  My OH had to lift me out of the bath and I rang my daughter to come saying only 'Its an emergency'.  That's all I could say because the pain was so intense.  I was grey, had severe nausea and I know this sounds dramatic but I got the feeling I was going to die.  Im writing this because I want others to know - I did NOT have side or abdominal pain.  I thought I had a blockage in my bowel - hence the pain in my back end (sorry TMI).  We went to A & E and they quickly diagnosed ectopic pregnancy.  It was 2.2cm in my left tube.  I opted for methotrexate injection and kept in hospital overnight.  My levels were only 239 on Tuesday.  They are now 93.  But they didn't tell me about the severe pain all over my abdomen, shortness of breath and the constipation and diarrhoea not to mention the stabbing pains up my backside.  Its excruciating.  My daughter has been a godsend - she's washed my hair and helped me get dressed.  Im taking Ibuprofen every 8 hours - Im counting down the time when I can take my tablets.  I go back on Monday to get another count.  Im just confused as to how long this goes on for?  Does anyone have any tips about relieving the constipation?  Im not even bleeding very much - just every so often the bleeding is bright red.  The other strange thing Ive noticed is that my boobs have started to hurt again - like Im pregnant again.  I dont feel so alone now that I have read your posts.  Thank you.
Hi ladies,
so sorry to hear everyone's story's, this harder then I ever thought it was going to be the Doctors don't tell you the pain is going to be this bad.

I had my normal period in June around the 1st then again around 20th. Then again July 2nd I got it again! only lasted a few days then went away then I stared spotting around the 10th , I didn't think anything of it until my friend at work said I should take a test, So I did at work sure enough I was. I was so excited. Everyone keep telling that its not a big deal if your spotting just make a doctors apt soon. By the end of work the bleeding was getting heavier and I realized that I have had some cramping too so I went to the ER. 6 hours later they cant tell me anything, they did ultrasounds and said they couldn't see  anything but because I was only 2 weeks pregnant by the way I who finds out that they are 2 weeks kinda crazy. So they tell me to wait till Monday to go the doctors the cramping got worse during the weekend. I went Monday and the Dr told me that I was having an ectopic pregnancy and I had two choice the surgery or the Metho shot. I decided the get the Metho. He told me with the shot I would have some "cramping" and I could go back to work Wednesday . I got the shot Tuesday went home and slept for 5 hours felt fine all day. About 9pm I thought I was going to die. the so called MILD CRAMPING felt like my insides were ripping apart no matter what I did the pain wouldn't get better a hot bath was the only thing that even helped a little. It got better about 2 hours later enough for me to fall sleep. Went to work for an hour the next day had to have someone drive me home. I had another shot 2 days ago I'm still in pain I hate this I just want to be me again! How long dose this take its day 9 for me ......... :(        ps sorry if i miss spelled or I don't make scene I have been one pain meds for a week. THANKS U TOO ALL THE WOMAN THAT ARE ON THIS PAGE U MADE MY DAY. I needed to know that its going to be okay

Cass
HI
I DID IVF IN JUNE AND ON JULY 3 MY BETA WAS VERY LOW SO DOC SAID NEGATIVE AND I WAS MOURNING, THEN SOME DAYS LATER BETA KEPT RISING AND AFTER FEW WEEKS OF THIS AND SOME BLEEDING I WAS TOLD ECTOPIC (POSSIBLY) I WAS GIVEN 1 DOSE OF METHOTREXTATE ON LAST TUESDAY AND TODAY I HAD VERY SEVERE CRAMPING, I WAS ASKED TO CALL IF ANY PAIN.I WENT IN FOR MY U/S AND STILL TODAY NOTHING WAS SEEN AND EVERYTHING LOOKED NORMAL, I AM STILL GETTING THAT PAIN ON MY LOWER LEFT SIDE AND TYLENOL ITS BETTER, MY BETA WAS 1500 WHEN I TOOK THE SHOT AND 4 DAYS LATER IT WENT UP TO 2750 , I TOOK THE BETA TEST AGAIN TODAY COZ WHEN I WENT TO DOC FOR U/S THEY ALSO TOOK BETA????SO SCARED I AM ONLY 31 AND FEEL IVE RUINED MY CHANCES FOR PREGNANCY,,? DID ANY OF YOU GET SUCH CRAMPING?
KIMY
Hi Kim I messaged you.  Cramping is normal Ive been told.  Im still having cramping myself.  It kept me awake til 4am.  
i am going through the same thing. Sunday of last week i thought it was over that i had a miscarrage (miscarriage). Only to find out that i didnt. Just took my first two shots of medi. i was told that the sac will disolve now to hear that it will come out scares me. I was bleeding at first but now im just spotting how long does this go on for.
The spotting goes on for a few weeks - well it did for me anyway.  You'll feel really tired and worn out too but apparently this is normal.  Just take it easy and don't lift anything heavy.  You will start to feel better soon.
Hello ladies!

I am new here and wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. Here is my story, and I hope it can others. I have been on birth control (pill) for the last 10 years. Stopped taking it on 7/4/10, and had my first period on 7/26/10. Used the ovulation predictor sticks, and discovered I was ovulating on 8/9/10. Received my first positive preg test on 8/21/10. Lines were very faint, but still there. Already felt tired, queasy, moody, breast tenderness, frequent urination, etc. Started spotting dark brown blood on 8/30/10, went to the doctor the next day for HCG levels. It was 292 on 8/31/10, and 532 on 9/2/10. Spotting and bleeding continued for over a week, along with cramping (that I attributed to my uterus stretching) so I went for an ultra sound on 9/6/10, at approximately 6 weeks pregnant. Nothing showed up on the ultrasound, so the doctor said I had either miscarried or wasn't as far along as predicted. Did another HCG test that morning, and the level was 1,000. Went back to the doctor the next day and they said I had an ectopic pregnancy, even though they couldn't see the mass anywhere on the ultrasound. Received my first dose of Methotrexate on 9/9/10, and now the waiting game begins. Have had a little bit of cramping and bleeding, but not nearly as bad as anticipated. Blood has been dark to bright red, and some clotting. I haven't had any undiagnosed PID's or STD's, but I do have endometreosis. I had an abortion at 6 weeks pregnant in 2005, and I can't help but blame myself for what is happening now. I keep myself up at night worrying about if I will ever be able to have successful pregnancy. I know it doesn't do any good to worry about something that I have no control over, but I feel hopeless right now. I wish everyone going through this the best of luck!!
Hi everyone!

I'm also new here. I had my MTX injection on 01/09/2010, and luckily so far I only need one time of injection. My pregnancy was around 6 weeks by the time of the injection and my HCG was 361. On 04/09/2010, my HCG was 495 (which was normal to slightly rise according to the doctor) and then on 07/09/2010 was 381 (more thab 15% drop). Then on 14/09/2010, the HCG was 285, and on 21/09/2010 it was 136. But I am still bleeding thought it is not as much as before the injection. Sometimes it stops for a few hours and then it starts bleeding again (bright red but no clots). My doctor does not seem too concern about this and she only said that as long as it is not heavy then it is okay, and usually some people will only stop bleeding after the HCG is less than 5. I will have another blood drawn on 28/09/2010. I hope it will be over soon but I am still worried since I am still bleeding.
I recieved Methotextrate shot on Wednesday 10-20-10 for ectopic pregnancy.  Its located in my right fallopian tube.  My HCG levels were about 1200.  I had pain in my mid back and lower abdomen and now it moved from the midback to only on my right side of back more near the hip and lower front abdomen pain/groin area.  My question is... and I have had a ruptured ectopic and know that pain and had to have emergency surgery for that and they took the tube out.  So my question is.. why does it hurt so bad?  I have no external bleeding but didnt have that the last time the left side erupted just experienced excruciating pain.  Why does it hurt so bad is it the medicine destroying the fetus?  I went back in on 10-22-10 to see if it did erupt they did ultrasound and repeated labs said blood levels havent changed and the ultrasound shows no signs of fluid that I shouldnt be worried just keep taking pain medicine and take it easy.  I am on ROXICET and I have a high tolerance for pain but this doesnt work and I dont want to be self medicating in case it does erupt and so I am aware so I am scared to be on the pain medicine so it doesnt fabricate the real feeling in case I am in danger.  The pain is so bad that I cant stand straight or walk normal and when I try to get out of bed or off the couch,chair or the toilet its kills me to move period.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I am not a baby and can tolerate pain but they told me it would be cramping.. It literally feels like a war is goin on inside my body.  I asked what my options were and the doctor kept pushing for methotextrate even though I told them I wasnt comfortable with it I would just prefer surgery to have the tube removed.  My husband and I were looking to do invitro because they told me this tube was bad and was 100% clogged a year ago so we never took precaution for trying to conceive because they told me we wouldnt be able to according to the HSG test they did on that tube.  Can anyone share something or anything that will help me.  I go back tomorrow for more bloodwork which is 10-25-10 to see levels then go back on Wednesday 10-27-10.  If my levels arent low enough I dont want to take another round of methotextrate I would prefer surgery does anyone know if that would be an option? and if what I am experiencing is normal for this kind of thing.  I cant even grieve I am consumed with so much pain.  I know that sounds terrible but that part hasnt even hit me yet.. If anyone can help please write me.. thank you!
I am so sorry for your loss, I understand how difficult it is undergo all these.

Here is my story. I got my metho shot on 09/30 for my ectopic pregnancy (left tube) when my HCG levels were 3000+.
10/04- hcg raised to 6336 (I was told it is normal to rise initially and then comes down).
10/07- it was 4252.  
10/15- it came down to 2443.
10/2- it was 952.

I had spotting for around 6 days from 09/18 to 09/23.
Bleeding from 09/24 to 10/01.
1 day past my metho shot I had heavy bleeding that is from 10/01 to 10/08 .
But no pain what so ever.

Short break from Red Aunty there after.

Again I started bleeding heavy for 3 days from 10/21 to 10/23 . This time I had sharp pain in my left side all 3 days.

And today no pain and no bleeding.

I am fed up of all these things. Hope it ends soon and HCG drops to zero. I can't wait to get back to my normal cycle and get into TTC game again.

But every woman is different. Sorry!! I can't help you much on your question.
Hope you will get well soon.
Keep us updated.
Sorry, HCG levels were 952 on 10/20. I missed it in my previous post.

Hi and thank you for writing me.. I adore your screen name it is so positive and I need that!  Sorry to hear about your loss also.. and to all the girls here.. I am sorry to hear of all these things.

I went today 10-24-10 to check my levels they are 1142 so they are going down.. I go back on Wednesday 10-27-10 the doctor wants to see them drop 15% more by wednesday or they will administer more methotextrate.. I pray that I dont need anymore of that medicine.  I dont have any bleeding at all yet.  I hope and pray this ends soon for all of us.  If I could go back to last week I would never take that shot.. I am still a ticking time bomb and can errupt at anytime thats what I dont like.  My pain is still severe cant even clean my house or do laundry or cook for my husband and I.  I know its gonna get better.. but its this waiting and slow agony.  I asked my doctor today when she went over lab results with me WHY is the pain so EXTREME she said its because its breaking it down and compared to you other girls.. your levels are even higher than mine and was wondering if the higher your HCG is the stronger the pain.. but the doctor said no its different for everyone.... and they arent suppose to administer the Methotrexate to you if your initial HCG is 5000 and above I read that.  BelieveGod4ever your levels rose alot..before they dropped and I also read and was told that was very common to happen.  Well sorry to complain alot here girls but the pain is strong.  I am gonna write back on Wednesday with my new levels.  Take care :)
Thank you. It is true that we all need God's support and blessings especially at this tough time and of course all the time.

My HCG levels were more than doubling before I recieved the shot.  Hence my Doctor thought it could be viable pregnancy. But at HCG 3k+ when they could see nothing in the uterus they suspected it to be ectopic and it is when they found some mass in my left tube. On the same day I got the shot. When my HCG reached 6k+ I was so afraid of rupturing. I was feeling like as if I am walking on the thin ice. I have my next blood work on 10/28. I will update you my levels. I also pray that I don't need anymore of that medicine and my HCG should hit zero faster.

I was given the shot on around 6th week. What about you ? Good to hear that your levels didn't increase but came down instead.

I read bleeding will happen in the later days for some women, but in my case I had spotting & bleeding far before I received the shot.

Sorry about that weird pain. Hope your pain soon subsides and HCG reaches 0 quickly without any further medicine/surgery.

Take care.
An ectopic pregnancy is painful to begin with. My pain did start going down once the baby was found to not be surviving well. When I got the metho shot, the pain went up again, along with some nausea. After a week or so after the shot, the pain got better. It was another 2 weeks or so before the pain was completely gone.

Don't feel bad for not cooking or doing chores - your body is going through a lot right now! Hopefully you have a super supportive husband like me and he doesn't mind picking up the chores while you are going though this.

And as far as surgery versus the shot, I asked my dr the same thing. She said surgery is invasive and can inhibit your fertility overall. They prefer to do the least invasive treatment as possible. It worked out for me in the long run. 2-3 cycles later we were allowed to try again - I am now grateful to God to be 12 weeks along now in my new pregnancy. Oh, and those cleaning/cooking skills hubby learned earlier came in handy - I wasn't able to do anything for the last 4 weeks because I've been so sick! A good husband is so valuable!! :)

I will pray for you ladies that the pain gets better soon. And know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)
I just wanted you all to know I've come up with a diet specifically for this shot. Try not to eat anything too difficult to digest. The best breakfast I have found is oatmeal. Try soup and a bit of toast for lunch and soup for dinner with vegetables and some noodles. Try to take small amounts don't eat too much at once. Drink a ton of water and tea absolutely no soda or fizzy drinks!! Try not having any dairy. I know it sounds extreme but it really helps with all of that horrible gas!! I got my Methotrexate shot last thursday and my numbers were 1250 today they are 894 I started bleeding on monday redder and more clotted. I think it's just started to miscarry. I am 4 weeks and a couple of days. I get tested again on thursday let's hope I don't need another shot of that stuff it's horrible! XOOX feel better take care of yourselves!!
Hi all,

@amandamae1126,
Congrats on your pregnancy. Your pregnancy after ectopic gives lot of hope to all of us. Wish you a very happy and healthy 9 months. Take care.

@shmez,
That is a useful information regarding diet. Thank you so much. Keep us updated about your HCG levels too. Take care.

@InquisitiveGirl808,
How are you doing ? Hope your pain has come down by now.
Take care.

Hi everyone :)

the pain is     S L O W L Y    subsiding thankfully.. each day gets a little better to move around.. I went and got my levels checked today and am down to 848.  To answer your question BelieveGod4ever I was right at 6weeks when they gave me my shot.  I am so happy I dont need any more Methotrexate :)  the doctors seem to think it will gradually go down and I go back again on Wednesday Novemember 3rd to get my levels checked again.  Still no bleeding yet.  My doctor thinks I wouldnt bleed or start menstrating till my HCG numbers go to zero.. and if I do spot or have clots its normal.  Looks like it is gonna still take some time.  Thanks to everyone for sharing and the advice.. It helps reading everyones stories.  Stay strong everyone! :) I will write more next week.  Hope your all doing well!
I am glad that you are doing better now and nice to know that your HCG levels are coming down. I got my levels today and they have come down from previous 952 to 44. I guess it will soon become negative.
How long after 1 metho shot we can try again ? I read everywhere 3 months. But my Doctor told 2 months.  

Today Thursday 10-28-10 I woke up with terrible pain again and it started in my back again and on the left side which is opposite and after I went to the bathroom in the morning.. I started bleeding.. no... not a period but from the methotrexate.. the cramps were so strong and felt like contractions although I never had contractions.. what I would imagine them to be... I passed alot of clots and stuff I dont want to explain.. (bloody, mucous discharge) so I took pain pills and stayed in bed with the heating pad on my stomach and moved it to my back to get comfortable.. that was a life saver the heating pad and of course the pain med.  Its now like 10:15pm here at night in Hawaii and I am not feeling so great.  I am gonna take more pain meds before bed.  I did call my doctor to them I was bleeding they said not to worry unless I was soaking a pad an hour and I am not but it is painful.  

I am so glad to hear your numbers went DOWN so much BelieveGod4ever.. thats awesome!!!  Please listen to what I think about trying to conceive again.. Now my doctor said after one shot of Methotrexate to wait at least 3 months.. no sooner than three months to conceive again.  Of couse the more shots of Methotrexate the longer the time frame is.. reason being.. and I have read so much on this medicine and side affects.. the reason being.. is that this medicine can DESTROY or mess with the new baby and cause MAJOR side affects.. we all want to have the best outcome right.. so dont try to go any sooner than 3 months.. I cant believe your doctor said to only wait 2 months.. maybe my doctor should give your doctor a call??  kidding.. but after all this I am gonna take like 6 month break and give my body time to adjust and heal from all this... as much as I would like a baby tomorrow I know it just is the right time.. but we talked about it and are at least waiting 6months to visit the infertility clinic to start the process we are gonna do IVF.. so GOD willing we will try in 6months.. its so much on our bodies I have read plenty of womens stories that they had gotten prego right away after methotrexate and nothing happend to the baby.. but WHY take the risk?  Again.. I am very happy for you that your numbers are going down so much!  You know what else I read that my back pain and not able to move and stuff is muscle cramping like as if the body is imitating real birth.. but in a disposing way.  Well please keep me updated on how you are doing and what you think about trying to conceive again.  Take care! :)
I was diagnosed with a possible ectopic on 10/23, went to the ER for a pelvic sono & to check my beta & an internal sono... nothing showed on either sonos... my beta was 918 only went up 200 in 5 days....  

Went back to the doc on 10/25 my beta went up to 1300... the doctor didnt call me back to tell me for 48 hours... that was excruciating...

I had the shot of methotrexate on 10/27.... i was bleeding before hand, not heavily... then it stopped the day of the shot... on 10/28 i started bleeding with clots and it continued on 10/29.... on 10/30, i had bleeding with a lot of large clots and other tissue... I believe i have expelled the sac, where ever it was...

I did have cramps but i took extra strength tylenol and it really helped....

I have only pink bleeding now with tiny clots (10/31)...

I was 61/2 weeks when the shot was administered... they didnt tell me anything about it... like i cant ttc for 3 months, that i shouldnt take my prenatals, they didnt even know the shot should be given in the butt, rather than just any muscle... they didnt tell me that i should be monitored closely for the 1st week after the shot...

my next apt with my regular gyno is on wednesday a week after the shot...
Hi,  I am sorry you have to go through this!    :(  but it will get better!  

So your doctors never informed you that you shouldnt take prenatals?? Its because the FOLIC acid in prenatals doesnt allow the methotrexate to work.. it works against it.. meaning the more folic acid in your body.. the harder it is for methotrexate to work.. and they should of checked your blood levels on Day 4 after the shot and then again on Day 7 to CLOSELY monitor you.. but seems you already know is from reading this thread?  I got alot of information from the internet also.. more than the doctors were telling me or what they were telling me was very vague..information.. and i think they do that so we dont freak out and ask for surgery but i did freak out and ask for surgery and they still strongly insisted on the methotrexate shot.. if i could go back in time i would never gave in and took that shot.. but now i am finally feeling some better.. i was feeling better but i just started bleeding on thursday one week and a day after my shot and it was H E L L now it is subsided.. this is the worst thing I have ever endured and if anyone ever asks what i think they should do.. i would say surgery.. first.. or else be hospitalized with pain control and close blood level monitoring because at any moment we are ticking timebombs till our numbers go down.. after my last wednesday appointment.. my doctor says to me ok your numbers are going down but you are still at high risk for eruption so take it easy.. and dont do anything to strain yourself.. but anyways.. i go back on wednesday the 3rd for more labs to see where my blood levels are... you should of had prelabs drawn to see what your liver enzymes and kidney function..etc.. all that stuff drawn to compare the next times with.. make sure they check you on those also  and some people dont know but to make sure there level of blood doesnt drop also thats a sign of internal bleeding and can mean an eruption.. some women have an eruption and dont even know because the pain is strong and internally bleed and never externally bleed like me for instance one year ago i had that happen.. so this time i was paranoid with all the pain.. i kept going back in the ER to make sure my levels were ok.. but better to be safe then sorry. ... so make sure you get all levels checked.. and damn them for not checking your levels on day 4 and informing you of the dont take prenatals anymore.. bring all that up to them and make them aware of there mistakes.. so they can be better next time.. I hope all is well for you keep us updated... hang in there!
@AngnShaun,
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with InquisitiveGirl808. I am shocked about your doctor not asking you to stop taking prenatals. Also you have to keep monitering your HCG levels every week until  it hits zero. Take care.

@InquisitiveGirl808,
I have to go for HSG after my HCG reaches zero. If everything is fine we may start ttc again from January 2011 i.e 3 months after my metho shot. I also feel 2 months is a very short time for my body to heal. When I had miscarriage back in February we were asked to wait for 1 cycle. But we didn't try for 3 months after MC.
How are you doing now  ? When are you planning to start again ? Do you have any kids ? We are trying for #1.
Thank you both for your comments... unfortunately i cant see the Dr until wednesday night.  I am going to tell him how i was not given any further information and i had to tell the nurse where to give me the shot...

Then i am taking my records and going to another doctor.  My SIL recommended her hi-risk Dr.  And he is much closer to my house than this Dr is so there is a benefit.
A good dr is invaluable. Also, I would suggest to all you ladies to take control of your own health. Dr's make recomendations, but are NOT in control of your body. My dr suggested getting the shot the same day, but I wasn't comfortable with that. She said I still had time - about a week. We agreed to monitoring and later it was revealed that the shot was needed. She let me wait 2 more days so hubby could go with me. My dr was SO understanding throughout the process and did what was comfortable for me. She didn't make me feel bad about wanting to wait. The wait time also allowed me to research my options and ask a ton of questions.

Here is another tip I learned. I ASKED her to go on a high dose of folic acid AFTER my numbers reached zero. She said that was a great idea and gave me a prescription. I have to take it until week 14 of my pregnancy or for 6 months, which ever comes first. Next week will be week 14 for me. :)

There is hope ladies. Keep your chin up, do as much research as possible and ALWAYS do what feels right for YOUR body.
Hi ladies....

Update on my levels..last week on Novemeber 3rd my HCG level was 517.  Today November 10th my HCG level is 265.  Lets hope and pray next week I am at a big fat ZERO!!!   :)  My doctors are pleased with the numbers going down and feel that it is on the right track.. However I am still at risk for rupture and they reccomend no stressful activites and still no intercourse... I am greatful its going down my levels but still not satisfied at how long this is taking.... very glad though that the terrible pain that I was in is completely gone just feel very restless want get back in the swing of things again and do a normal workouts, go hiking.  

@AngnShaun.. how are you doing?

@BelieveGod4ever...how are you?  when the doctor clears me from this meaning my HCG levels hit zero I am gonna get another HSG to test the right tube and see what they think..... last year when it was tested it was 100% blocked and they said I couldnt get pregnant and ended getting pregnant now and have it growing in that blocked tube that the damage was already noted at 100% blockage and that now it had this ectopic growing in it I am sure it was not only damaged then but now its got to be BEYOND recognition with the swelling and scaring..  so I am not sure yet if I should have it removed now as elective?.. I dont want to go through this again..so maybe just get it taken out.. yes there are risks involved with surgery but the thing I wonder is if I should leave it in???  My husband and I are gonna try the IVF process in 6 months from now and if I did have the elective surgery it would prolong that too because I have to heal from the surgery.. so I think.. just get the HSG and let them tell me its damaged again? but who knows right? maybe the fluid they put in will push its way through and make the blockage disappear.. not likely but gotta think positive.. the other thing is that we have to be very careful for me to not get pregos again incase it becomes ectopic again it will prolong us doing invitro and then have to go through all this again...so when we have intercourse we will have to be very careful.. I dont want to take birthcontrol medicine never have tried it or anything to do with my hormones or the bodies natural process of releasing eggs.. I really hate all medicine in general thats why I was so against this shot and preferred surgery.... so I guess we will use condoms.. and then after the successful IVF and I deliver my baby, or babies.. then I will see about getting the tube removed but only after I have children first in case the elective surgery damages or mistakes happen so they dont lessen my odds of getting pregos through IVF.. We are still trying for #1... In time it will happen.. and I pray for all of us to have successful pregnancies.  If none of this would of never happened I would be on #2 pregnancy right now.. and my first baby would be.. turning one this December.

Take care everyone.. talk to you soon.  :)
Its been 2 weeks since I had the shot... Ive been bleeding consistently but not heavily...

last Wednesday my beta was at 956... I had more blood drawn today and i will know on Friday what my beta is...

Physically i feel fine...

Emotionally, i have my ups and downs... thankfully the ups have outweighed the downs...

I will be switching doctors after my levels return to 0...

Thanks for asking!!!
@InquisitiveGirl808,

My HCG levels were 5 as on November 3rd. My doctor said like anything between 0-5 is considered to be negative. I started taking my prenatals and folic acid since then. My next appointment with Dr is on 15th Monday. Can't wait to discuss with Dr and get my tubes checked.

When will they do HSG ? Before or after period ? Will it pain a lot ?

Good to know that your HCG levels are falling down and you have no more pain now. Keep us updated.

I am so sorry for your losses. I know how it feels to think about those damn losses. Even  if I didn't miscarry back in February, I would have had 1 month baby in my hand by now. May be it happens when it has to happen.

Take care.

@AngnShaun,,
It is okay to bleed at this time I feel. My levels reduced by 90% whenever I bled. What is your present beta ?

Wishing good luck to everyone.
i just had my first shot of methotrexate last night (NOV 11)..
today, i am bleeding, feel bloated & constipated..and i am feeling kinda weird altogether..
i will be seeing the obgyn this sunday (NOV 14) to test hcg levels.
i am hoping all this will be over soon and i am praying for all of you!!
I just got off the phone with my dr. and as of 11/10 it was in the 700's...  hopefully it was the low 700's... he didnt give me the exact #...

i havent had red blood since 11/10 tho... its just been brown since then... some times its really really light, other times its heavier, but still brown.

@sfdee... im sorry that you are going through this... i hope you feel better soon...

I didnt have bloating... but i did have constipation and that overall weird feeling...  what was your hcg at the time of the shot?
t
Hi All

I am so sorry to hear of your losses.  No one should ever have to go through this.  

After almost a year of trying to conceive, we became pregnant for the first time.  We were overjoyed.  A week later I started to bleed and we rushed to ER.  I knew I was misscarrying.  Went back to my fertility specialist for blood work serveral times that week. She became concerned that the levels weren't going down and ordered an ultrasound where they found a mass in a tubes.  

On Friday 10/29 it was suggested that I have a shot of MTX instead of the surgery in which I would most likely loss my tube.  All weekend I had serious cramping.  On Monday and Thrusday I was rushed back into ER because my blood cell counts were off.  On Friday 11/5 my levels hadn't dropped sufficiently and I was given another dose of MTX.  Thankfully this time the pain wasn't as bad but emotionally I was completely distrot.  Totally feeling sorry for myself.   Although family and friends were supportive, no one really knows how to react.   Everyday it is getting a little easier, but I still feel like a mess.  I saw a therapist this week and that was helpful.

Waiting 6 months to try again is going to be really hard.  But at the same time I am grateful for a break.  The thought of month after month of trying again it too much to bear.  Just trying to get by day by day.

@BelieveGod4ever

Hi.. i am so glad to hear your levels have dropped to 5!!!  Awesome!  Back when I had my HSG done.. they scheduled it right after my period to make sure I wasnt pregos and it was only done on my right tube because the left one was removed due to ectopic rupture.  The HSG does not hurt that bad.. the pain was I would say for me was mild to moderate sometimes more MODERATE because the radiologist that perfomed it explained the reason I was experiencing pain during my HSG when he was pushing the dye in my tube he was trying to pulsate it making a wave so it would help push through the blockage thats the good thing that after a HSG is perfomed sometimes women get PREGOS right away because they tubes have been sorta pushed through blockages and it allows the egg a sperm to meet but its not the case with all women.. I had my HSG test in June of 2009 and got pregos in that same blocked tube October 2010 so you see all the time in between that lapsed.. but they say having an HSG can help you if your blockage is mild and not severly damaged or scarred.  So back to my pain.. it hurt like a huge pressure and it felt like bad period cramps but nothing i couldnt handle.. and after its done you might have some mild spotting I had no spotting of blood just wore a light pad for two days for the release of the dye to fall in my panties or in case i was to bleed.  Also.. my doctor prescribed me some antibiotics 2 days prior to my HSG start taking because it does cause swelling and inflammation and irritation and he was afraid that if I got infection from it that it would damage other things down there you heard of PID pelvic inflammatory disease he was just trying to be cautious and said it was a good thing to take antibiotic to prevent anything.. so i did.. and then the results were of course it was blocked. I hope it goes well for you and mention to your doctor if you read this before you go to your HSG about an antibiotic.. if its necessary or not.  I get my levels checked on Wednesday the 17th.  

@AngnShaun:  glad to hear your numbers are going down.. my bleeding wasnt for too long but one day of the bleeding was really like HELL for me but it got better with time.. I hope your feeling ok..and its nice to hear the good is outweighing the bad.. stay positive!  At times the pain got the best the of me.. I only bled for like 5-6 days and now I am just anxious for my body to have my first period after all this..stay in touch.

@sfdee... I hope your doing well let us know what your levels are if they dropped or not.

@jbird78  stay strong.. it is hard at times my worst was when the pain was unbearable I couldnt move or walk the muscles were like spasming so bad. I have found this forum very comforting just reading what other girls went through and to update and really be communicating with other women who actually experience the same thing i found to be very helpful.. the family and friends are nice and helpful but its different when you talk with others that have gone through it..the only thing i can say that might not make sense to you now.. is that this whole experience makes you stronger.. GOD doesnt give us anything that we cannot handle trust in him and things happen for a reason we dont know why but they do.. but dont lose faith.. it will get better!  

@everyone... i am glad to have found this website it helps alot.. and gives insight on what to expect etc...be strong and know that this too.. shall pass.
Thank you so much for explaining me everything in detail about HSG. Now I know what to expect.

Yesterday I had to see my Doctor. And she asked me to come back again on the 6th day of my 1st period for getting HSG done.

I heard that you don't get your period as faster as it does in miscarriage. If it doesn't show up until 3 months, I should go back to her and she then may have to prescribe some medicine for inducing the period.

So now waiting for AF.  Don't know how long it takes to ovulate after mtx shot. This waiting game *****.

Thanks so much for your help.
Take care.
Well i thought i had stopped bleeding... literally the day after i wrote my last message i started bleeding again and have been bleeding consistently ... ugh i feel like it will never end... its been almost 3 weeks of bleeding...

I have another appointment tomorrow for a beta, but this time im going directly to the lab instead of my doctor so i wont have to wait days for the results...

@jbird78 i am so sorry you had to go through that... many hugs and prayers to you!!!
got my first injection of methotrexate on nov 11, went back twice for blood work..and finally yesterday (nov 18), i got the phone call telling me the injection worked and that my hcg level dropped down to normal. my ectopic pregnancy is gone..and i can try to conceive again in a few months..
best of luck to all u..and i will continue to pray for each and every single one of you..
stay strong!
@ AngnShaun
I am sorry you are undergoing this. Bleeding for long is not uncommon in ectopic pregnancies I feel. How are you doing now ?
Even I was going to lab work directly every time. I could see the doctor only twice one on the day I had shot and the other after my levels went back to normal.
@sfdee
Your levels went back to normal super fast. At what levels did you get the shot ? Are you going for HSG ? From when are you planning to TTC again ?
Hi everyone,
First off all im new to this forum reading through your storys takes me back to my ectopics ( iv had 3 & im currently going through a miscarrage (miscarriage)).
My first ectopic i didnt even know i was preg id done preg tests all neg but bled for about 4weeks and was in horrible pain i went to my local walk in centre and was told it was a bad period go home and rest 2days later i couldnt stand the pain furthur so went to the A&E dept there i had an ultrasound and wastold id had an ectopic pregnancy and that it had burst 2hrs later i was in theatre i lost alot of blood during the op and my right tube removed i had a laprotomy which was very painfull for months after.
To cut a long story short i had 2 ectopics after this and the meth injection the first one i had one dose the 2nd 2 doses.
After this i was told it was near enough impossible that i would conceive naturally again so we opted for ivf i was due to start my first cycle 2 weeks ago when i did a routine preg test and nearly fainted when it had 2 lines, unfortunatly i started spotting last week and went to a&e i had a ultrasound and they found a 4-5 week gestational sack there was no free fluid but unfortunatly not 24hrs later my hcg has halfed not 24hrs later so iv been told im miscarrying.
This is a heart wrenching experience as weve never got this far before although im very upset im hopeful one day i will give birth!

My thoughts are with all the ladys going through this dificult time, god bless x
Well, I've never written in here, but I can relate to the stories.  I had an ectopic pregnancy in July, which resulted in the removal of my right tube.  I was told I was having another one in late October of this year.  I went in and was given a d&c.  After that horrible incident, the results came back that there was no fetal tissue and an empty sac.  I was given two mtx injections.  When this occurred, my hcg was 12000+.  On day 4, my numbers were 18000+, and on day 7, they had dropped to 15000+.  During this time, I didn't start having pains until about 10 days post-injection.  They were excruciating, and only in my lower back and left abdomen area.  I've been told to go back today and get my hcg levels again.  I haven't had any other symptoms except for the recent pains.  I haven't spotted or had any bleeding throughout this entire procedure.  What's scary is that during my first ectopic, I didn't have any pain, but the doctors told me that the embryo was big enough to burst my tube at any moment.  I am constantly paranoid and worried about the symptoms.  I will most likely be scheduled for another ultrasound and set of shots before Thanksgiving.  This experience can leave a person feeling less than because of all of the complications.  I am blessed to have children already, but it doesn't make it hurt any less when you lose one.  I am strongly considering having the doctors give me a tubal on my remaining left tube - I don't know if I can handle going through this again.
Hey ladies i am glade im not alone im 23 years old and just found out last wends that i had a possible eptopic preganacy (pregnancy), was in the worst pain imagineable and went to the er and thats when the told me i was prego, sent me to the womens health clinic near me and did test said that i was only 2 weeks and that the levels were increasing normally , that was monday this week and then on wed i wound up with the most unbearable pain the emited me to the hospital for obsorvation and decided that they cant find anything in my tubes but theres nothing in the uterse either, my levels went from 1400 to 800 and then back up to 1000 in 2 days finally gave me the shot of methotrexate was fine and release now i have the same pain in my left side and it hurts to lay down or even sleep ... nothing seems to be helping... bleeding is on and not to be graphic but i did ask for information about the shot before hand and understood the side effects... said that there should be bleeding like a preiod (period) and cramping.. but god the cramping was like hell. and the bleeding cant make its mind up normally with my period i go threw a pad every 1-2 hours depending but here im not even going threw 1 every 4 hours.... its got me a little worried .. bleeding seemed to stop well not stop just not coming out .. and i cant go to the bathroom *2* and i hade some shoulder pain... and of course being a holiday the docs officce is not open im deff going to call her tomorrow since i just got out of the hospital yesterday... just very new to this ...this was our first preg and didnt expect to get prego.... just scared dont want to have surgery thats why i opt for the shot.. just hoping i dont have to get another one ... the side effects are not as bad as i thought but i feel just like crap..... best way to describe it beside the constant nagging pain in my left side.. what should i do im worried..thank you ladies and hope all is well:D --annie--
did you get my big long message??
Please could you post it to the community if you did and know how?
I've never been on this site before tonight but want to be in the community and think I just sent it to you by mistake!!
hope you feel better soon, I don't !
Lizzy ( 3rd time lucky?)
nope didnt get anything:D sorry
ive completely stopped bleeding as of Thursday... and wednesday my beta was 190... i will go back again this coming wednesday for another beta test... hopefully its close to 0....
I have been on many sites while I was going through my ectopic pregnancy and noticed that no one is the exact same. So here is my history and hope it will help others-
Dec 3 10- had a positive pregnancy test
Dec 5 10- started to bleed bright red
Dec 6 10- went to doctors took a pregnancy test that came back negative and then got blood work done (bleeding now was brown)
Dec 7 10- Bhcg levels came back at 78
Dec 9 10- Told I was having a miscarriage
Dec 11 to 21 - bhcg levels rised to 900 had internal ultrasound done and found nothing
Dec 22 10 - went to hospital with mild cramps (still bleeding bright red but slowly) Did another internal ultrasound and saw a small mass in right tube but could not know if it was ectopic or bowel. Received Methotrexate by needles, one in each thigh.
Dec 23-31 - bhcg levels dropped by 15% from 1700 after shot to 1400
Jan 1 to 7 - Bhcg levels went down to 345
Jan 8 11 - Had horrible pains and went back to hospital. They found some fluid in my belly and thought it was a slow rupturing of my fallopian tube. Found out it was not and was given another shot of methotrexate because my bhcg levels went up from 345 to 421.
Jan 11 11 - released from hospital
Jan 12 11 - horrible pains and felt faint went back to hospital. They told me that it may be the metho starting to work. My bhcg levels went down to 231 and my hemoglobin levels were good which means I was not bleeding inside my body. They gave me pain killers and came home.

This has been a very long process and very scary. The nurse at the hospital told me that they don't like ectopic pregnancies because they are very unpredictable. I am currently at home after a week off work hoping for these pains to go away. I feel for anyone that has to go through this.
This is just a continued post...
17/01-21/01 - went back to work but was very tired
25/01 - blood work taken. HCG levels are done to 80
23/01 to 30/01 - Had cramps all week. Starting strong but went mild during the week and now just a little bit. Will get my blood tested again tomorrow

I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy in my right fallopian tube 8 days ago.  It is my first pregnancy, I'm 32, married last year, I was approximated 7.5 weeks along - the mass was 2.9cm, weak fetal heart tones were measured and my HCG level was 21,400.  I observed some bright red spotting and mild cramping on the right side, so arranged for a same day doctors appointment which was at a different office than my regular OBGYN as they had no availability that day (I just wanted peace of mind as my bleeding and pain was not severe enough to warrant an ER visit).

I was offered either a methotrexate shot or surgery, but the doctor recommended trying methotrexate first.  As we do not have children yet, I opted for the shot, as it seemed this was most likely to preserve my fertility.  I called my regular doctor and got a blood test on day 6 and it was up slightly to 22,100.  No change in the size of the mass and no internal bleeding.  She was still very keen to get me into surgery, but I requested 1 more methotrexate shot as I have read many people require 2 (especially with such a high HCG level).  I actually have had minimal symptoms from both shots, so far at least - mild brown colored spotting the day after, some pain in the area of the mass, but nothing severe.  I worry this indicates it's not working for me, but I know that the levels often rise before they drop, so it's not really clear what's happening if we only have results from day 1 and 6.

I'm getting tested again in a couple of days, 4 days after my second shot.  I really hope my levels have dropped and I can avoid surgery, especially as my doctor her says she will just remove the tube (the first doctor I saw said if he performed the surgery he would try and remove the ectopic and seal to the tube so it can be used in the future).  Actually, because of this and various other info she's given me that doesn't tie in with other things I've read I'm considering going to someone else as I'm not sure I feel 100% trust in her.

I've read all the posts and it's very useful to here others experiences.  However, most people seem to have much lower HCG levels than me when diagnosed.  Has anyone had luck with methotrexate with HCG levels at 20,000+ ?  How many shots did it take for it to be reducing?  Also, has anyone had successful treatment with methotrexate without any side effects?  I'm sorry about all the pain and bleeding everyone has had, but am worried my lack of these symptoms mean my HCG is not reducing and the treatment is ineffective with me.  We are just hoping the tube does not rupture this weekend before I get another blood test on Tuesday and find out whether this is working or I should have surgery.

Thanks for any help and advice people can offer me.
This is a follow-up posting from my previous entry a couple of days ago.

A second dose of methotrexate cause a huge decrease in my HCG levels from 22,000 down to 14,000 in just 4 days, which is good news, after the worrying initial rise.  Seems a second dose was definitely needed with my higher than average starting HCG levels, but my doctor is confident I can avoid surgery altogether if I rest.  Obviously I need the weekly bloodtests until my levels drop down to zero.  I also had moderate very localized pain the day after the second dose.  It worried me at the time, but after reading this, it makes me think I was feeling the medication working:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/methotrexate-treatment-of-tubal-and-interstitial-ectopic-pregnancy

Pain after treatment — Mild abdominal pain of short duration (one to two days) six to seven days after receiving the medication is also common. The pain may be due to tubal abortion or tubal distention from hematoma formation and can usually be controlled with acetaminophen. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs should be avoided because a clinically significant drug interaction with MTX occurs in some patients taking both drugs.
Occasionally pain may be severe, but women with severe pain who are hemodynamically stable often do not need surgical intervention. As an example, a review of 56 women with abdominal pain severe enough to be evaluated in the clinic or emergency department, or requiring hospitalization, found that only eight patients subsequently required surgery
I'm so glad I found this forum! I'm only 21 yrs old, 1st pregnancy and is an ectopic one.. :(((

I found out I was pregnant on (Saturday) March 05, 2011 because I was late on my period and took 2 home pregnancy tests. Both positive. I couldn't believe it, my fiance and I weren't protecting ourselves for around 2yrs and I NEVER got pregnant, I was at the point, I thought I wasn't able to have kids. I went to the Doc on Tuesday (March,08) to confirm with  a blood test that I really was pregnant and it came back positive (6weeks pregnant). I've never been happier in my life, no one in my family has ever had a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy so, I never been truely informed or never had  lots of knowlegde on either. But I wasn't even thinking about that, I thought I was a regular prgnant woman with a healthy embryo growing inside. I informed my family and friends of my pregnancy and in only less than a week my fiance and I were already planning and talking about all the new changes in our lives. On Sunday (march 13) we went to our 1st Dr's visit, lots of blood tests and we talked to the nurse since it was too soon to see the Doc, or to try an ultrasound. (It's rare for them to do an ultrasound before10weeks of being pregnant) Everything was going fine until i woke up in the middle of the night as usual to pee on Tuesday morning around 4:30AM, I noticed 3-4 drops of blood (very small nothing big deal) But I freak out and I'm the type of person that needs to know that everything is ok, so I called the clnic and the Doc "on call" for that night explained to me that I could be having a miscarriage. i freaked out even more and we rushed to the ER, there they checked my HCG and they were at 1754, then took me for a pelvic ultrasound (vaginal) and found NOTHING. I was devastated, almost fainted when got up from the ultrasound bed, they set me down on a wheelchair and took me back to the ER room, my fiance and I were both very sad. Only us that've been thru this feel and know how depressing and hopeless it could be. At this point when the ER DR. came back in the room to explain what was going on, he said that we could be having a possible miscarriage, to go home and pretty much WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPEND, (are you serious???) oh and to also followe up with my ob/GYN. (OMG!!!!!!!)) I can't explain how broken my heart was at this point...I've cried so much, there are NO WORDS that can express....

That same day we got home around 8:30AM, and we both were looking for answers, I googled everything on miscarriages and tried to get this thru my head. I would ask my self, "if it's a miscarriage and sooner or later I will abort, and the ultrasound it's not showing anything, not even a sac and I'm 6weeks, what its there to abort??? this can't be right!!!) so the next day on WED (March, 16) I called the clinic and explained what happend they told me to come in, so I could see a Dr. and then the Dr. would order an ultrasound. I told them I could not keep waiting I was concered that this could be an ectopic pregnancy and they send me to an ultrasound specialist. There they found my baby very closed to my ovary on the right side in my fallopian tube. Sent me to the ER right away for a methotrexate injection. Today is Friday second day after the shot, still no cramping, no bleeding...nothing, just sadness and lots of thinking, I'm now afraid of getting pregnant again, I've heard stories of woman that've had only ectopic pregnancies, one after another...This is very scary and I do want a family of my own one day. Now that I've read many of your posts I feel better and a little more prepare for what's coming, Docs, really don't explain things very detailed...they do say that you might pass it with a menstrual period  or your body will desorbed it. But all the bleeding for a month or more..they say nothing about that.

I'm calling the clinic today to schedule an appt asap, I need to know if the fetus still alive, could it keep growing after the shot? I don't want to risk it. also to check my blood count...
At least now I know that I can get pregnant, but it really is alittle traumatizing after going thru this, and I have not even finished the whole process....
Best of luck to women in this same situation, Get an ultrasound as soon as you know you're pregnant, pevic ultrasounds can tell more, when early in the pregnancy, the ER just didn't do a good job this time for me, but fight for i and go to a specialist and make sure you're baby is in the right place or at least the sac if it's too soon to hear a heartbeat.
WE will get thru this, I have faith and hope! we are strong.

lis

Thanks for sharing your story, sometimes every little detail counts and can help another individual. I'm glad your HCG levels went down after that second shot...I'm guessing by now you should be feeling better?? If you read this and can reply...please tell me how long did it take for you to ctully start bleeding....if you can continue to tell us how everything went for you.

Thank you.
Hi Lis21,

Actually, 6 days after the second methotrexate shot things went badly.  I got pain, felt extremely lightheaded, and knew something was seriously wrong.  My husband rushed me to the emergency room and an ultrasound showed I had internal bleeding and had ruptured.  I ended up having emergency surgery and they removed that one tube entirely.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  I bled, including some clotting, for about a week afterwards.  I feeling back to normal now, physically at least - exercising, etc.

I just read your full post.  Did the second methotrexate shot work?  Are your level down?  The problem in my situation was they found to fairly far along so were "late" to start treatment - really frustrating given I had called the doctors several times wanting my first appointment earlier.
Hi, britGalinMS

Thanks so much for coming back and replying!!!
I'm so sorry your tube ruptured, thank God you're husband was there and took you to the ER right away. I can't believe that even after the second shot and your HCGs were going down, your tube still ruptured!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? This is such a delicate experiense to go thru and anything can happen at any time!!! Good thing is that you're feeling better now!! ,another thing is that thankfully we have 2fallopian tubes. How do you feel now about trying to conceive again? (if is not too personal!) I'm personally really scare but I really want a family of my own!

I've only had 1shot so far, went to go see the Dr. yesterday and she preformed a vaginal check with her fingers to see if by her pressing I would have pain. Pressed on my uterus and around that right side were everything is happening, she said that if anything was wrong after the shot... by her pressing, I would be in a lot of PAIN. I didn't feel any at all, but I'm till trying to get an ultrasound as soon as possible because that its what can realy tell it like it is. She asked me to wait on the ultrasound at least a week after the shot, so this WED I'm going in, and hopefully they get to perform one. Oh and they also did some blood drawing to check on my HCG levels, I will have the answer to that tomorrow. I can only hope for things to go the way they should, and keep waiting and waiting...I still have no cramps, no bleeding....nothing yet.

Thanks again, talk to you soon....
Hi again Lis21,

Yes - it was very lucky my husband was around when I ruptured.  It happened so suddenly and unexpectedly - one moment I was sitting on the sofa, next moment I was passing out in pain.  I'm not sure if I would have made it driving myself to the hospital, I would have had to call for an ambulance.

The doctor said she said the other tube "looked fine" so we are going to hope that we conceive naturally that way, but after this whole experience I need to give my body a break.  Maybe we will think about it again in 6 months or maybe a year.

Good luck of the methaltrexate working for you.  From what I've heard the HCG blood test is the only real way of determining that, so make sure they keep tracking that very regularly.  Some people have pain associated with the ectopic, others not, some have pain after methaltrexate, others don't.  Often things continue to grow on ultrasound before it reduces also, so I don't believe that is the best way of diagnosing it's working either.
Hi BritGalinMS,

This a major up date!!!
Yesterday I called the clinic to check and see if the results from my HCG levels were back from the lab, they went from: 1754 from when I went to the ER the first time, to 3300 when I was at the hospital to get the Methotrexate shot and then up again to 4700 when I went to the clinic to see the Doc on Saturday (March 19th). The Doc's asst ask me if I was in pain at all, I said, Yes, some abdominal pain on the right and left side, also my bck had been hurting since the injection....she told me to go to the ER immediately because at this point obviously the Methotrexate did not work and my hormones kept going up and this was very risky that I needed SURGERY.

I rushed to the ER with my mother and when we got there, they quickly did some blood work and took me in for an ultrasound. The fetus still had  a HEART BEAT and growing!!! I couldn't believe it, the shot didn't do anything at all!!! I was very upset and scare but thankful that I was finally in the right place and around people that understood. I was taken into surgery and spend the night at the hospital, was released this morning around 10am and now home. Resting, I do have some pain, very tired and sleepy...it hurts when I get up but I'm happy that they were able to save my tube and ovary, the baby was very closed to my ovary but everything went well, the Doc had to cut part of my tube but was able to save it.

This has been a very long 2weeks, but God does work very mysteriously and we all have to have faith! Thank you for all you're help, and everyone here that has shared their story, it really does help, relieves a lot of stress and answers some of our questions.

(((IMPORTANT)))
I do want to say that if anything like this happens to any woman, you have to learn what is it exactly that is going on in your organism and find a Doc, (clinic) that will do for you and help you get thru this FAST! be on top of you're hormones, even if you get the methotrexate shot, they tell you to wait about a week to see your Dr. but don't wait 3or4 days after, check your HCG levels, I can't stress it enough. Everyone's body and organism is different, I was almost 8weeks and was lucky that the tube did not rupture, but I was on top of everything I was the one calling the clinic and bothering them so I could have ultrasounds and Dr visits, and blood work for my HCG levels. My fiance has also been great and helpful, my family has been there for me thru it all. Good luck to everyone out there.
I came across this board after recently being diagnosed and treated for ectopic. On April 20, I felt bad pains in the uterus area and could not even walk. The pain started the night before but got worse the next day. I was at work and got a last minute doctor's appointment. Turns out I was 2 weeks pregnant and did not even realize it! My husband and I just started trying the first month and I was already pregnant. I was bleeding on and off for 3 weeks and thought it must be stress. I am so glad I had pains and went to the doctor, else I would have let more time pass and not even realized I had ectopic. I started bleeding as soon as the egg was fertilized by the sperm.

Anyway, the doctor send me to a radiologist and my uterus was empty, I had a growth of 5.8x2 cm on my right fallopian tube. The doctor sent me to ER immediately and my HCG test was 388. The doctor decided to give me methotrexate - 5 doctors told me 5 different things and were even thinking of sending me home without any treatment because my pregnancy was only 2 weeks and they were not sure if it was ectopic. Anyway, the head doctor decided to give me methotrexate. I was in a lot of pain till Sat & skipped work. I went back to the doctor on Thur to make sure that the pain was not due to a rupture. I had abdominal cramps, could not sleep and woke up a few times. I usually sleep on my side but since it was painful, I slept on my back. On Sunday I started feeling better and could walk a little. I was nauseous but did not throw up.

Monday I was back to work but was very tired, I ended up over-exerting myself on Friday and had some pains, but rest helped. I avoided a lot of processed foods and ate healthy with a lot of fiber and protein, no caffeine. I was constipated for a day which caused more cramping. My father, a doctor, told me that constipation could impact the rupture so I should remove it asap. I drank a lot of hot water, ate some flax, and prunes. Prunes caused cramping so I removed them from my diet. Once constipation passed, I felt better.

7 days later my HCG level was 110. It has been over 10 days now - I had bleeding for 2 days on the 7th and 8th day, which is now very minor spotting. I am still in a little pain. I feel as though something wants to come out, but its not coming out. I have had this feeling from the very first day. I am not sure when it will go away. The pain on my side has reduced a lot. I cannot walk fast but overall I feel fine. I feel grateful that I caught ectopic 2 weeks in, else it could have been worse.

Hope this helps others. I was scared and sad about my loss, but since I found out about my pregnancy the same day as I knew something was wrong with my body, it was easier to get over it. I am 33.5 years old and feel bad that I had to lose my first in this manner. I hope I can get pregnant before 35.

Do others feel that something wants to come out but is not, or is it a different pain & feeling?
I am currently going thru the same thing. On 3/1 I had an IUD put in to prevent pregnancy.  I had my first period on 3/28 and everything was normal. On 4/16 I woke up with severe pelvic pain that last thru the weekend. On monday I seen my gyno which then told me I was pregnant. I was shocked!!! But ok I can do this. Then they took out the IUD and did a vaginal ultrasound and it was negative they could not find the pregnancy anywhere. So the dr says it may just be to early since i haven't even missed my period yet. He sends me to the hospital for a QBHCG and that came back at 2300. I had my levels drawn 2 days later and they were only 2500. So the office called because they were concered it was ectopic. I went back to the office for another ultrasound and they said they still coulndt find the pregnancy but since my levels were above 1200 they should def be able to see something if it was in the uterus. So they confirmed an ectopc pregnancy and sent me to the hospital for a shot of methotrexate. The next 4 days after that was horrible. I had nausea, dizziness and alot of pain and cramping. Had labs drawn 6 days after the injection and they had decreased to 1400. The dr says it is a good sign but I was still without any bleeding. Finally today I started bleeding. what a rollercoaster of emotions!!!! I to thought it would be absorbed by my body but reading everyones posts I am mortified now that I am going to pass it !!!
ON MARCH 30 I BEGAN TO SPOT AFTER WHAT I THOUGHT WAS MY NORMAL PERIOD...TEN DAYS LATER STILL BLEEDING I STRT FREAKING OUT AND WENT TO THE ER...THEY SAID I WAS PREG. BUT THEY SAY COME BACK IN 48 HOURS BEACUSE OF THE BLEEDING YOU MAY BE  HAVING A  MISCA.  48 HOUSR LATER DOC SAYS YEAH THIS IS NOT A NORMAL PREG. SO THEN MORE BLOOD WORK  HCG LEVELS STILL GOING UP BUT NOT NORMAL...HE DOES AN ULTRA SOUND AND SUGGESTS A D&C HE HAD FOUND A THICK WALL AND A COLLECTION OF CYSTS... D&C ON A FRIDAY...I THOUGHT THIS CRAP WAS ALL OVER....BUT TO NO!!! SO SAT. NIGHT MY HUSBAND TAKES ME TO ER..I WAS IN SEVER!!!!! PAIN THEY GAVE ME DRUGS AND SENT ME HOME...THEN ON MONDAY I GOT A CALL FROM THE DOC..."YOU WILL NOT LIKE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU" YOUR STILL PREG. NONE OF THE TISSUE WE TOOK OUT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH A BABY AND MY HCG WAS EVEN HIGHER..SO..TUE I HAD TO GO IN FOR ANTHOER BLOOD TEST NOW MY LEVELES WERE 2000.. HE SAYS YOU NEED TO GO TO ER NOW AND GET A SHOT.. LAYING THERE WHILE THEY GAVE ME THAT SHOT WAS THE WORST EXPERIANCE OF MY LIFE..KNOWING THAT WAS GOING TO KILL THE STILL GROWING BABY INSIDE ME..I CRYED FOR DAYS  AFTER AND STILL AM.. BLEEDING HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR 47 DAYS!!!! IM SO READY FOR THIS ALL TO BE OVER...MOST PAINFULL THING TO EVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH...MY LEVELS ARE NOW AT 44...I JUST HOPE THE BLEEDING WILL STOP SOON AND MY NEXT BLOOD TEST IS THE LAST AND ITS A ZERO... IF YOU ARE SOMEONE GOING THROUGH THIS  HERE IS SOME ADVICE TO FEEL BETTER ...GET A HEATING PAD!!!!(IT WAS LIKE HEAVEN..KEPT THE SHARP PAINS AWAY) SOME GOOD MOVIES AND A BOTTLE OF TYLO. ...AND IF YOUR SO LUCK TO HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD LIKE I DO TO CUDDLE WITH ..IT HELPS I WAS IN BED THREE WEEKS WITH ALL THE PAIN..A WEEK AFTER THE SHOT YOU MAY START TO FEEL BETTER..BUT ALL THE TESTING WILL JUST DRIVE YOU CRAZY..
I am 32, married for 5 years with no children yet.  My husband and I have been ttc for 7 months and I started experiencing abdom. pains on my lower left side.  It got so bad one night that I couldn't sleep and we went into the ER.  Once there, we found out we were 3 weeks pregnant, so we were super excited but a little worried there could be problems.  While waiting in the ER, I started bleeding a little, so the Dr. became more concerned and had me get an ultrasound.  They couldn't see anything in the uterus, so they had me get comparison blood tests the following week (beta HCG was 2000).  My numbers were increasing but not as fast as they should be, so I was told it was definitely a miscarraige (miscarriage) and possibly ectopic.  My Dr. had me go in for another ultrasound the following week, and they decided it was probably ectopic.  They rushed me to the ER and gave me the option of surgery or metho. injections.  I opted for the metho. to increase my chances for future fertility.

I started bleeding 2 days after the injections, but my numbers started dropping slowly.  The cramping came back, but not as severe.  Now I have diarrhea and an upset stomach, but the worst part is having to wear a pad (hate them!)  I am also tired and short of breath when I try to do too much.  This has been a hard lesson of slowing down, asking for help, and learning to grieve.  Though I am sad about losing the baby and anxious about having to wait 4 months, I'm doing okay.  My emotions seem a little heightened, probably due to the hormones dropping.  I have faith that God will carry me through this journey; He always does!  My HCG is finally below 1000, so I'm praying it continues to drop quickly and I won't need another injection.  So sorry to all of you who've had to go through this.  It's a lonely and frustrating experience, but it helps to hear from all of you!  Best wishes on your baby-makin!!!
Its been exactly one month since I was diagnosed with ectopic and got methotrexate. Very very painful. The first week was brutal especially being at work. The second week got better but I had very bad constipation and the pain was unbearable, I felt as though something wanted to come out but couldn't. I took mild laxatives that helped within two days and reduced the pain. I took Ibuprofen for 3 weeks till the pain subsided. My levels went down from 388 to 216 to 110 to 29 to negative. Today the doctor cleared me and asked me to wait till August, I can start working out as well. The pain is dull, but still there. I did not exert myself because it caused pains. I am relieved and hope it doesn't happen again. This process has increased my awareness. It has caused immense sadness though because whenever I see a toddler I feel a deep sense of loss, and I pray desperately that I have a normal healthy child. I will be 34 in three months and I really want a child soon. It is a difficult phase especially the pain. Even though doctors ask people to visit in 6 to 8 months, I have had a relatively speedy recovery because my ectopic was caught within 3 weeks of pregnancy. I don't know what would have happened had I waited.

I am not sure whether to take HSG - the doctor said its up to me. I want to make sure that my swelling has gone down, but my doctor didn't seem too concerned and said that my HCG levels had come down and everything was normal. I just feel unsure though.
Thank you so much for posting your stories.  It has greatly helped me through such a difficult time.  My tale is a little different and just want people to be aware that it really can be different for everyone.  I found out I was pregnant on Friday, May 13 after 6 IUIs.  My betas were doubling, but around 52 hours instead of the 48 they like to see.  On 5/20 I had an u/s and they could not find anything - no sac, no baby, no tubal bulge.  On 5/24 I had another u/s and nothing again my RE diagnosed it as an unconfirmed ectopic.  I wasn't convinced/had a hard time believing this was happening as I had no signs - no spotting no cramping.  At my insistance I went back on 5/26 for another u/s but same thing nothing was there.  I agreed and had my first dose (2 shots) of MTX on 5/26 with a beta of 4835.  I went back on 5/31 for my second dose (again 2 shots) and my beta was 8914.  I went back on 6/2 and my beta was 8765.  It was not enough of a drop for the RE and I went back on 6/3 for a THIRD dose (yep 2 more shots in the butt).  My nurse informed me that was the first time she had ever had to give anyone 3 doses - lucky me.  My beta dropped to 7453 on 6/6 and then to 5599 on 6/9.  

I still have not had any cramping, or spotting or bleeding.  My boobs are still just a tender as they were the day I found out i was pregnant and I am still nausus most mornings.  I think it cruel to still have to have these symptoms when I know I am not really pregnant.  I have spent every day waiting for over 2 weeks now for the cramping and bleeding to start as the nurse warned me it will happen it just is different for every woman as to when and how bad.  I just wish I could get it over with!  I though the 2ww to find out if I was pregnant was long, but it was nothing compared to this.  Maybe mine won't be too bad since it is taking such a long time?  

I have no idea how long I will have to wait for my beta to reach zero, but in the mean time I am still waiting to be able to be allowed back in the sun (hopefully before my beach vacation next month) or have a glass of wine.  I am sure my friends all think I am pregnant since I have not been drinking, but I just don't know how to tell them what I have been through.  Maybe once everything has been resolved I can tell them...

It has been really difficult going through this by myself (I do not have a husband or partner), but I think it has also made me realize I can handle much more on my own than I ever though I could.  I am not sure if/when I will be ready emotionally or physically to TTC again, but I am convinced more than ever that having a baby on my own is something I can do.

Best wishes to everyone!
I can't believe they can't find anything...anywhere..?? Did you go to an u/s specialist? First of all I hope all is well. I was reading your story and it really touched me because I understand the whole "waiting for something to happen after the shot" process and that it's the hardest thing! After it's all done, you do feel relief because you learned so much and like you said, it makes you a stronger person knowing that you can handle something like this. About letting your friends know, take your time! I know I waited almost a month to actually face the world and share my pain with friends. Is going to get better, is just a different process for different women, like you mentioned. Another thing, isn't just crazy how the methotrexate is suppose to take care of what's going on with only 1 or 2 shots? They take so much precautions at the hospital when injecting you, wearing gloves and covering their bodies and face...I thought, what in the world are they injecting me with? I believe you must have a very strong organism if you had 3shots and nothing yet! Best of luck and keep strong! remember God always has a plan.

Lis
OMG I am reading all this and going 'It is not just me!" I had been on 3 cycles of Clomid when on the 31st of May I got a period. It lasted its usual 8 days and then when i was wiping CD9 and 10 there was brown blood and pain had started. CD11 it was red. By this stage I was wondering what was happening and posted on my TTC Facebook (Effie Ivf Ttc) and someone said it sounded like an ectopic. So I went and got a HPT and sure enough I got a positive and I just cried and cried. We went to the hospital however because it was a public holiday they couldn't do an US but they did bloods and HCG was 1002 which put me at 6 weeks (At the time I would have been just over 5 weeks) so we went back to where we were staying.

When we went home 2 days later the pain had gotten worse so we went to the medical centre and he sent us to the hospital and again they refused to do US because of public holiday so I went home. By this stage I had called my IVF doctor and they booked me in for bloods on the 16th of June. This showed 900 which meant I was MCing but pain was still there as well as heavy bleeding. I had to redo bloods on the 20th which showed 600 and when I went to my appointment on the 21st he said I would need the Methotrexate shot. This got done on the 24th.

I am having follow up blood on Friday (1st July) and the pain has seem to have gotten worse since the shot. I am now having difficulty moving around and I am very stiff - considering I am a fit active person this is hurting me alot. I hope I feel better soon :(

Hi all,
I'm really glad to have found this site and wanna thanks everyone who have shared their experience here. It's really helpful for me. I'm about 7 weeks pregnant and my hcg is already at ard 24000. Did 4 transvaginal scans but they cant see anything at all.. anywhere.. My hcg did double up on the first 2  blood tests but begin to slow down on the next 2 blood tests. My gynae confirm it's a unhealthy pregnancy and most likely an ectopic. I was given a dose of Methotrexate yesterday. So far there are still no bleeding, no cramps yet. I'm really worried if it's normal and really wonder when will the bleeding and cramps will start. This experience is really stressful.
Hello everyone,
Really sorry to hear about the losses of everyone and hoping that everything gets better for everyone here,
Just wanted to share me story and experience.
I got a positive pregnancy test on 21st June and started spotting on 25th June. Went to the doc, they did ultrasound but couldn't see anything in the uterus, they thought it might be too early. The next day I get severe gastrointestinal problems and I am doubling over with pain. Went to the hospital, they did ultrasound and found fluid in my abdomen. On 29th June, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove the blood from my abdomen but the doc said that the pregnancy was not in the tubes, it was in the abdomen probably which is a very rare case. Doc still couldn't identify exactly where the pregnancy was, but since he removed all the blood and clots from abdomen, he said that hopefully all pregnancy tissue has been removed.
Anyway, I get some blood work done a week later and my HCG had increased to 4500 (it was 1100 when I had the surgery). Doc said that there was probably some tissue left, so he started me with oral methotrexate for a week. Thankfully, after a week, my levels had dropped to 4000; not very fast but still it was dropping. The doc has continued my oral methotrexate for another week and I have to get more blood work done today and then on Friday.
However, I have had severe side effects with methotrexate. Severe Abdominal cramps, constipation, trapped gas, and bloating. I have a bit of spotting and bleeding but I won't probably pass a clot or sac since my pregnancy was in the abdomen and not in the uterus or tubes. I rushed to the ER twice because of pain in the fear that I had started to bleed internally like before but the ultrasounds showed everything to be normal, so I know it's just the side effects of metho.
Just hoping and praying that my levels drop drastically in the blood works now. Do pray for me as well girls :)
You will all be in my prayers!
I am a week out from one dose of methotrexate following diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.  I am 32 years old, had never had an IV in my arm and the thought of surgery was overwhelming.   I am now wishing more than anything that I'd had the surgery.  This process and the hormonal roller coaster through hell that it has been is just too much.  I would do anything to have it all over with and just be recovering, which is where I'd be if I'd had the surgery.  Instead, my bhcg doubled in 4 days, didn't come down the 15% my doc wanted so am now getting it monitored every other day, my breasts are still tender and sore, and i have absolutely no signs of bleeding, meaning that my body is still very much in pregnancy mode.  I would not wish this upon anyone.  all I want is for it to be over with and behind me, and it looks more and more like i'm still weeks away from that.  I know it is a process, but I had no idea just how long and emotionally exhausting it would be.
So sorry you're having to go through this... hang in there! I know it's a tough time but it WILL get better!  My testing lasted a couple weeks then I had methotrexate, more tests, and ended up needing surgery after all.  I remember those points of anxiety and frustration.  It's a day-by-day thing, but know that others have been there.  Don't be afraid to share your feelings with a close friend or spouse; I found this to help.  The surgery and recovery was quick proved to be the best choice for my body.  If it helps to know... I'm feeling MUCH better now and will be praying for you!!  Let me know if you have questions.
I know all too well about this nightmare. Last Sept I ended up with my first pregnancy ending up being ectopic. I had pain on and off for two days, I knew I was pregnant, about 6 weeks, as my husband and I had been trying. I waiting way to long to gonto the ER, and by the time I got there it had ruptured, and they rushed me into surgery where they removed my right tube. I lost so much blood from bleeding internally that I needed a blood transfusion.
Exactly a year later to the day, I found out that we were finally pregnant again. We had been seeing a fertility specialist, had 2 unsuccessful IUI's, and got pregnant naturally the month before out first IVF. I was over the moon, and so grateful God had blessed me with this miracle the month before IVF. I was being monitored very closely because of my history, end everything was going perfect, for about a week and a half. Then at about the same time in my last pregnancy I got that familiar pain in my tube that I will never forget. The pain was so bad, that I vomitted from it! I went straight to the ER in fear of losing my only tube if it ruptured. The first ER misdiagnosed me after I told them it was ectopic and sent me home claiming my tube was clear, and there was an empty gestational sack in the uterus, and it was probably just too early to see a yolk sack or fetal pole. At that time my HCG levels had leveled off, so I knew something was wrong. That same night, the pain came on again, and I drove myself to the ER closest to my house, the one that had did my surgery last year. After the US the OB on call came in and said there was a 2 mm mass in my right tube and he wanted to remove my other tube and leave me without any tubes at 33 years old without any children. I have wanted to be a mommybsinve I was a little girl.
I begged the DR to try and save the tube, but he warned me that it doesn't function properly if this was my second ectopic and it would only put me risk for another ectopic. But we went to surgery and he attempted to save it anyway for my peace of mind. BIG MISTAKE! Turns out he left too much tissue in the tube and a week after surgery my HCG had leveled off again and wasn't decreasing. I was starting to feel pressure in the tube again. Apparently it an grow back if he doesn't get it all, lovely! So the wanted to give me methotrexate and I was completely against it. I begged 2 dr's to just get me back in the OR and take the tube. Neither of them would, and they gave me no choice. So yesterday I had my first shot, and I begged the nurse for pain meds, as I have read how painful it is from the girls that have been through it. The told me no, that it would mask the pain, and I needed to come in if I was in pain. Last night and this morning was the worst cramps I have EVER had, and I knew that I could not continue without meds, passing the grosses clots that looked like my uterus fell out. I went back to dr for blood work, and unltrasound, and he told me this was normal and I wasn't bleeding internally, which I knew, and finally gave me some pain meds. Having 2 ectopics, I knew the pain was different, but I should not have to suffer like this when I am already in pain and trying to heal from my surgery last week.
I keep wondering when this nightmare will ever end. I am so angry that now I have to wait another 3 months before I can do our first IVF because of this stupid shot they forced me to have. Having been through surgery, I would prefer that pain anyway, rather than the pain from that awful shot. Listen to your body, that's my advise. I knew something was wrong, even though the hospital told me my tube was clear. It is terrible how you have to be your own dr these days!!! Just terrible. I have joined an amazing on line support group called Daily Strength, I highly recommend it to anyone suffering with infertility and miscarriages. Be well, be blessed, Carla
Hi Im new also, I also am/was in the same boat. I do have a 21 yr old son. And I am 39 yrs old now. I did to have an ectopic back in Feb. 98 was removed at 6 wks cause of hemmorraging didnt know it was ectopic at that time.
In 8/08 I decided to have an ablasion done, didnt plan on having anymore children. Well its 2011 and I have moved to a different state cause got divorced, and with a new man, he has 2 beautiful children 5 & 7.
Well to make long story short, went to a routine obgyn appt cause I was spotting and having discomfort, thought it was just a cyst. Doc took urine and said, as I was getting dressed take ur clothes back off ur pregnant....I almost passed out and said dont joke about things like that, well I was pregnant so we did an ultra sound it was twins in my left tube and I was 4 to 6 wks. She sent me to the hospital, had my hcg level taken, then the methotrexate shot. Had my blood ran a week later and it was at 4300. I had 1 bad nite of horrible pain used a heating pad and took tylenol that next morning I did pass them they were attached and looked like 2 small cloudy lima beans. I am still having pain on my left side but its not horrible. I was told that is because your tube does get irritated and sore cause of the swelling due to pregnancy thats not suppose to be there. If I have a bowel movement or bladder gets full it does cause pain for my tube.

I have read everyones comments and I am sorry for ur loses. I am glad there is a place that you dont feel alone and someone else has experienced similar problems. Thanks again.
I am sorry to hear about everyones experiences but it is also nice t know that there are some people like me out there. On 9/1, I started what I thought was my period. Everything seemed normal...breast tenderness, cramps, menstrual bleeding. After a week, the bleeding seemed to be stopping, and then came back more heavily. I wasn't alarmed because I have PCOS and adenomyosis and the adenomyosis sometimes causes me to have long periods. After bleeding for 3 weeks, light to heavy flows with huge clots I started getting really fatigued, which never happens. I thought maybe I was having a misscarriage because of all the clots and called my doc. They did a urine pregnancy test and I was shocked that I was pregnant since I was on birth control and Metformin (for my PCOS). They did a pelvic ultrasound and saw nothing, and I was in pain from the ultrasonographer pushing down on me and moving the tube around. They also test my blood and I was at 1000, which she said was good. That night I went home and cried for hours. I didn't expect that it would effect me, but I lost it. It's a lot of physical and emotional pain. The next day, I got a shot of Methotrexate ( 1 in each cheek) and have to come back next week for a blood test. I had pretty bad cramps the night after, but the doctor told me that was normal. I just pray that the Methotrexate works and my levels will drop. In about 6 months, we're going to try for a successful pregnancy.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, I have learned something from everyone and am glad that I am not alone.
I have a story similar to many women here and I am so sorry for what you are going through.  I had a positive pregnancy test in early August 2011, found an OB doctor and was just going to wait till 8 weeks before seeing her.  Then I started bleeding and when I called the doctor told me to come in and see her.  She did the HCG levels and they were low for how far along I was.  

So a couple of days after my office visit I stated feeling a lot of pain and went to the ER where they confirmed my fear that the pregnancy was indeed ectopic.  I wanted to just do the surgery and be done.  My doctor recommended the Methotrexate and assured both me and my husband that this was the best option. Well, after more than a week of chemo my HCG levels wend down then started going up again and now my OB wanted to give me another shot or do surgery.  I opted for surgery because I was in a lot of pain every time I moved or ate anything and the pain was going into the shoulder.  She did the laparoscopy first and found out that there was too much bleeding to stop it with the small instruments.  So she cut me open to stop the bleeding and remove part of the R tube.  

Having gone through both options I can tell you that the surgery was a better way to go for me.  Chemo is so toxic and if you read the list of side effects (possible cancers later in life-because chemo can hide in the fat cells) it is scary.  In retrospect, I with I went with my gut reaction and fist choice of just doing the surgery the first time I went to ER.  I am now almost 4 weeks post surgery and my HCG levels are back to zero.  I am upset that I will have to wait at least 3 month before we can safely try to get pregnant again.  I wish the doctor was more forthcoming about the possible danger and reactions to the drug.  

I feel for every women that has gone through this situation.  We just have extra angels in heaven watching over us because our children never really leave us.  I now have 2 children-one here with me (3 year old daughter) and one in heaven.

Praying for peace for all,
Love
Dear Reema,
I am praying for you.  Hang in there.
Please let us know how you are doing.
Thanks to everyone that's posted - what a relief to here common stories. So here's mine.... I had my 1st ectopic 5 yrs ago. Like many here, I thought I was having an abnormal period b/c the bleeding continued longer than a week. Eventually was surprised to learn I was pregnant, followed by HCG levels that rose just slightly, then an u/s confirmed it was in my tube and I had a belly full of blood. Sent to emergency surgery and had tube removed. Remaining tube looked normal/healthy, so I positive for future pregnancies.
Two years later, hubby and I were ready for kids. Got pregnant, and HCG levels doubled - BIG relief. Unfortunately, miscarried. Then about 8 months later, pregnant again - ended with delivery of my son (now 2yrs old).
So in August, ready for baby #2. Get pregnant 1st month! But right away, I could feel something wasn't right. HCG numbers were bad - did a series of tests 48 hrs apart: 240, 267, 118, 288. They did an u/s, but really just to confirm no bleeding - was told nothing can be seen until HCG is 2,500. So was given methotrexate in order to save remaining tube. Had day 4 & 7 blood work, and numbers were 158 and then back UP to 208. Doctor and her associates perplexed - in their experience, 100% of people with HCG so low respond to 1st dose. They do a bioposy of uterine lining which does confirm no pregnancy material in uterus. So I got a 2nd round of methotrexate. Still anxiously waiting to get through this week, and for my days 4 & 7 blood work.
So I ask "what if" HCG levels again stagnate - I'll be sent to a specialist (an oncologist) to rule out a rare form of tumor that produces HCG.
The worst thing is the waiting and not knowing. I'm blessed to already be a mom and just want to be "normal" again.
i was off of metho for aprox 2 months secondary to losing my job and no insurance. i believe in that time i became pregnant but im unsure. i now have the meds through the e.r and im in alot of pain and need to take it but i dont no what to do! if i am pregnant will it kill the baby or make it deformed? should i suffer and wait until i find out?
My husband and I were so excited to find out that we were expecting our first child after only one month of trying. At about week 5 I had mild spotting (some mucous with a pink tinge) and my doctor wasn't too concerned bc I had no cramping or pain. A week later I woke up and felt off. My uterus felt achey (achy) and heavy. When I went to the bathroom at work I felt blood dripping and I passed what looked like sac to me. It was whitish-pink in color.

I was devestated and convinced that I had just miscarried. I went to the doctor's office and they tested my hcg. They tested again 48 hours later. It was a holiday weekend so I didn't get the results right away but I was SO sure that I had miscarried that I wasn't too concerned. That Tuesday I found out that hcg had doubled. I was surprised because I had been bleeding for 5 days already.

After a few more rounds of hcg testing, everything seemed OK. The numbers were doubling and then they just plateaued. In 72 hours it went from 900 to 1400. We did an ultrasound, no sign of anything in my uterus and no sign of anything wrong. My doctor suspected ectopic and had me go in for an injection of methotrexate on Thursday October 20, 2011.

I honestly felt great the first few days, besides being tired. On Monday night (4 days after injection) I got really bad pain in my lower abdomen. I REALLY didn't want to go to the ER so I waited for it to pass. After 15 minutes of being very uncomfortable, my husband decided to take me to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and said that I had a blood clot on or near my right ovary and that I had some fluid behind my uterus. Besides that, everything looked OK and my hcg had dropped from 1500 to 1110 in 24 hours.

My pain got a lot better while I was at the hospital so I was sent home. This whole thing has been such a roller coaster ride. My heart goes out to all of you ladies-- I know how awful it is to go through this after you get the best news ever.

I just can't wait to get passed this and start TTC when the doctor says it's ok.

Best of luck to everyone!
I am 8 weeks, and now on my 2nd metho shot. It is now 3 days after 2nd shot. I am really not feeling much of a difference. I go into the dr tomorrow for more blood work. If the numbers have not dropped again I will be having the DNC later this week. This is sooo hard. We have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. This is our 1st pregnancy. After the first scan they told us in was in my left tube. I am so scared, angery etc.
I've been wondering. the same thing I had an eptopic pregnancy last week I had surgery that Saturday I had and hcg test done yesterday AND its still too high I've got and appt to go back next week for the same things but I still feel sick I still eat a lot and I still pee a lot and still spotting I haven't had sex so what could be the problem
I was so happy to find this forum and read everyone's stories in words I can understand.  Here is my experience, I had a light spotty period at my regular time accompanied by cramps only severe at times. Thankfully my best friend and boyfried convinced me to go to emerg.  I sat in the waiting room for 6 hours with severe cramps and had to get a couple of maxi pads from the nurse as I was bleeding threw one about every hour. When I finally got a bed (in the hall) I started throwing up into a garbage can and was finally administered a shot of Gravol.  I was finally seen by a Dr. (9hrs later) and she informed me I was pregnant but it wasn't viable.  I am 37 and have had 3 prior misscarriages all for different reasons. I have an rh- blood type and had to recieve a rogam (sp) shot and was told everything from bad luck to quit smoking. They sent me home but told me to return in the morning for an ultrasound. The next day the bleeding was still light and spotty but not as severe the cramps had also subsided quite a bit and was only tender to touch.
My ultrasound revealed and eptomic pregnancy and I was whisked back in to emerg. promptly given a bed and prepped for surgery. My levels were over 4000 the night before and had dropped to under 4000 the following day. I only waited 4 hours to see an OBGYN and he told me vitals were all normal and gave me an internal examine. He also told me there was fluid in my abdomin (abdomen) (????) As  the cramping and bleeding was not as severe as the night before he said I had the choice of having the shot or the surgery.  I opted for the shot I was immediately concerned at the nurse putting on a mask, gown and double gloves.  She was wonderful and very informative and answered all my questions.  I was very concerned about the side effect including, nausea,cramping, bleeding, and fainting and them telling me to come back to emeg if I had nausea, cramping and bleeding.
I have to go back on Monday to have my levels checked. I am happy to be home but  feel weak and have a few pangs on my right side.  I think the weakness is from spending 9 hrs in emerg the night before and not being allowed to have food or drink all day today.  When I finally got home I had a banana and a yoghurt had a nap and had and apple and some cheese and crackers. I immediately felt nausea.  That's why I went on-line and found this forum and am inspired and feel a bit more informed on what to expect.  My second experience at the hopital was way more positive than the first and am instructed and plan to take it easy for the next couple days.  I was told to take Advil for pain and have been using a heating pad for the mild cramps.  It has only been about 8 hrs since I have had the shot and am going to take each day as it comes.  I have great friends and an incredabally supportive boyfriend to get me threw this.
Thank you
I found out 5 days ago I was preg AFTER having a tubal 4 years ago-they actually cut and curned the ends--but, a positve preg test had surely came up last week- called the doc- they were concerned and had me come in the next day for an ultrasound--no sac found anywhere--sched me for blood over the next 2 days to see if my HCG went up--went back 2 days later to another ultrasound to show she thought there was a sac in my right tube--but still nothing in the uterus--and my HCG went from 3500 to 4200--I guess not enough to support an actual uteran preg--so, in fear of my tube rupturing they presented me with surg or methotrexate injections at the cancer center--we went with the injections in hope of avoiding surgery--I had this procedure yesterday ---started cramping right away and spotting--I am assuming this will be similar to a miscar which i have had several of---not looking forward to it at all and glad i found this forum---today i haven't taken any meds to avoid sleeping all day and i still am light headed and dizzy---a really odd feeling---but, i suppose not as bad as recovering from a surgery---i will update you all with any new info--good or bad--bless you all
I had one shot of the metho on 8/2011 and my levels dropped to zero by 10/2011 but now I'm scared because I'm only spotting and not bleeding regular.
I to experience everything about the smoking, i am on my second miscarry.
On Aug. 2011 I went to the dr to figure out how to get pregnant with my second husband.  Whom doesn't have children and I have three we have tried for a year no luck. He stated that all was good n remember took my folic acid by sept. 2011 I had a feeling I was pregnant not relizen that I already was when I went in, in aug. three days after I found out I started to bleed I called went in dr stated that i had a possible ectopic pregnancy after my 1st shot of metho shot levels reached nearly 730 than I received my second shot two weeks after the first it drop 50 percent I was so excited n so confused the following wed lab test again it went down to 300 now upset again after 7 weeks at this point I was at my wits end now at 99.6 3 metho shots later n 9 1/2 weeks later my right ovary had a large cyst ruptured and 10 percent chance for this to happen again I feel as though I don't want to try again but with god on my side I feel like tryen again in the near future I would love to have that feel of another human life grow within me and the 1st time your baby kicks and it is a little secret between you and your bundle of joy is a wonderful experience.  I hope all of you my experience this keep your heads up I am and won't give up on that blessing we would all love to have.   Chrissy 11/17/2011
I will keep you all in my prayers! Finding this forum has been comforting to me, as I am going through the same thing now. My periods were like clock work, so after four days missed, my husband and I knew something. After a home pregnancy test confirmed on Oct. 20, I called my doctor the next day because I had been experiencing alot of sharp pains. She ordered  blood work, and an ultrasound which did show that I was having a ectopic preganancy. My first shot of mexthotrexate made my HCG rise from 12,000 to 25,000. No bleeding, and no pain. A week after I had two more shots, no bleeding and no pain, just fatigue and nausea. At the end of the week it had dropped to 22,000. Now, I have my blood drawn every week until it is zero. As of last week it has dropped to 8,000, and I finally started a very painful period. My husband as been great throughout this whole ordeal. I know he is tired of hearing my moans and cries due to the pain, but he doesn't let on..lol.
God has a plan. Trust it.
Hi everyone,

My name is Jess, I'm 29, and this is my 2nd pregnancy (I had a son 7 years ago with no complications)

Here is my story and I am hoping someone can help.

11/20 - BFP! So excited, my hubby and I just got married in October, went off the pill in Sept and got pregnant our first month trying.

11/23 - HCG levels 32

11/29 - started bleeding bright red and cramping. Went to the ER, thought for sure I was misscarying (5 weeks)
They did a pelvic and said my cervix was closed. No baby or sac seen on internal u/s. HCG 327. Ordered to see my OBGYN 12/1 and do HCG then.

12/1 - u/s no baby or sac again. HCG 377. still bleeding lightly. Told I was miscarrying. Appt to come back on 12/5.

12/2 - Terrible left side cramping and low back cramping. Heating pad and hot baths did nothing. Tylenol did not even touch the pain.

12/5. u/s shows 2.2cm ectopic in my left tube. HCG 360.  Given choice of methotrexate or surgery. Opted for shot. Went for kidney and liver panels. All were good.

12/6 - Methotrexate 90mg, one shot in each butt cheek. Cramping and more bleeding.

12/7 - Today - more cramping, heavier bleeding. Just passed tissue that is reddish pinkish and has some grey in it. Is this the sac already? Doctor told me my body would absorb it. Saved tissue to take to next appt.

Scheduled for another HCG on 12/10 and 12/13.

I still do not know what caused this.  How is it possible that I passed this tissue less than 24 hours after the Metho shot?

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jessica
I just wanted to add a few comments. I know this thread started many years ago, but as it is still active, I thought I'd chime in.

The reason that I wanted to post is b/c many of the posters have had more advanced ectopic pregnancies than my wife had.

We have been undergoing fertility treatments (current IUI) to try to conceive a second child. When the blood tests came through from the first round of treatment, we were "boarderline" pregnant. Based on how the hcg numbers were not increasing, the doctors knew something was off.

After a series of ultrasounds and blood test over a week, it became apparent that the pregnancy was in all likelyhood ectopic.

b/c we had been going through fertility treatments and since my wife was frequently tested, everything was spotted when her hcg was only 60 and mass ~1cm

After everything was tested and confirmed, we went to emergency and she received two (simeultaneous) shows of Methotrexate.

Her levels are now going down.

She says she has not experienced any side effects and her mood is good. She did have a small discharge but it was not as severe as some of the posters in this thread have experienced.

This is just week two, so we cannot say how everything will resovle.

I am just posting this for women who are undergoing the treatment after an earlier than usual ectopic pregnacy.

I don't know if our experience is normal for an early ectopic, but I'd thought I'd share out thoughts.

Of course we will update this board.
I underwent an IVF procedure and then had what appeared to be a 'miscarriage' - heavier than normal bleeding, on 5/14/14. At the time my HCG was 12. A week later I retested my HCG and it was 200. After that it has been almost doubling every 2 days. When my hCG was 2500 my OB diagnosed me of ectopic, and I was given the MTX shot the next day on 5/30. I retested my hCG on Day #4 (which was yesterday) and it rose to 4500. I'm so scared. I dread of getting another shot because i heard for 2 shots you have to wait 6 months to get pregnant, and I wanted to try another round of IVF before I'm too old. I'm doing another hCG test in 2 days and I'm hoping I'll see a 15% drop.

I haven't had any symptoms like bleeding or cramping. Is that a sign it's not working? Anyone has the experience of not bleeding at first and later it still worked?
This is just a very late update on this. About 6 weeks and 3 rounds of methotrexate after initially being diagnosed with an ectopic in the scar of my c-section, I had a massive hemmorage. I had no spotting leading up to it - just a little cramping the day before. Within 40 minutes of starting to bleed, I had lost so much blood that I needed transfusions because I was crashing. My blood pressure dropped to 50/30 and I passed out. Luckily I wasn't far from the ER. My doc made arrangements for me to be transferred to a hospital that had the technology to do an uterine artery embolization - they put little particles into the main arteries of your uterus to stop blood flow and control bleeding. This saved my uterus, but was extremely painful. I spent a week in the hospital and ended up having 8 units of blood over the course of the week to bring my hemoglobin back to a safe level for me to go home. It took about 2 months to get my iron levels back up and about 4 months for my energy levels to return. I was advised to wait a year before trying to conceive again to give my body time to heal. I needed this time because it was a very traumatic event. The doctors did not know if we would be able to conceive again because there is little research on subsequent pregnancy following uterine artery embolization for the purpose of controlling hemmorhaging. I'm happy to report that I got a pregnant about 18 months later and had a very uneventful pregnancy. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl who was delivered by planned c-section. They did not give me an option to have a vaginal delivery because they were concerned about the integrity of the uterine muscle. I had no problems whatsoever throughout the pregnancy, aside from morning sickness. I was followed closely for the first 6 months and then discharged back to my regular OB. After that, we decided to try for one more. I had one chemical pregnancy and then a missed miscarriage - I should have been 10 weeks along, but embryo stopped growing at 5-6 weeks. Again, no spotting or cramping and then about 3 weeks after being diagnosed with missed miscarriage, I actually miscarried at home. It was very physically painful. We waited two cycles and tried again. I got pregnant shortly after and am now 8 months pregnant with our 3rd and final baby. No problems at all in this pregnancy, either. If you are one of the unfortunate ones who have to go through a c-section ectopic, please know that there is hope!