Miconazole Nitrate vs. Clotrimazole
This is a smaller question regarding a bigger issue, so I'm just wondering why you would use miconazole nitrate over clotrimazole and vice versa?  Do they treat different strains of yeast? feel free to answer only this part or read further if you'd like.

I'm asking because I have a history of vaginal infections, starting prior to being sexually active.  I would get a yeast infection, which would then become bacterial vaginosis after treatment and then back to a yeast infection after treating the BV and that would continue for months and months, sometimes coinciding with my period, sometimes not; I used to itch whenever I was on my period or had a heavier discharge, but it wasn't always BV or a yeast infection.  I never figured out why that would happen but after a couple years of intermittant infections they went away for almost 10 years until recently and I feel like the cycle is about to start again.  

I went to the dr. for some itching who diagnosed BV and was treated with vandazole; that was about a month ago, right before my period.  That healed up and then 2 days ago, again, right before my period, I was itching again.  By the next morning, I was swollen and tender, which hasn't gone away but the swelling did go down.  This was completely different, the way it flared up so suddenly compared to the month before, when it itched just a little but started to smell and I went to the dr. after about a week (after my period was over), so I'm thinking this is a yeast infection because this is how I remember them when I was younger.  Anyway, any info/feedback would be great... have a great night!