Miscarriage and dnc pill
I have a friend that swears up and down she was pregnant last year and had a miscarriage. She says she was given a pill to clean her out instead of a dnc being done by her doctor. I have never heard of such a thing and have worked with doctors my whole entire adult life. Since then she has been trying to get pregnant without success, I have my doubts that she was ever even pregnant. What are some of your opinions????
Mifepristone and Misoprostol are both sometimes used for miscarriages.  Drs do not typically like this method because of the risk involved but they do allow it.
I meant to add that it's called Medical Management.  The medicines are used for uncomplicated miscarriages.  It's becoming more and more common practice with early miscarriage.

I don't know why you have any reason to doubt what she says.  Doesn't sound like much of a friend if you can't trust her to be honest about something like that.
I had a miscarriage in March of this year due to a blighted ovum.  My doctor gave me Misoprostol to take the night before my D&C.  My doctor told me that it would start to dialate my cervix so the operation would go smoothly.  It was also to "start" the miscarriage because I was pregnant, but not miscarrying yet.
This is the same type of thing as RU486 - the abortion pill. So it works in the same manner to 'evacuate' the baby - just with RU486, it kills the baby if he/she is still alive - and then expels it.
I understand that you are given a pill before a D&C is performed but she was supposedly given this pill after the miscarriage occured. She says she got pregnant really quick when she got off the pill but has been actually trying since last december 05 without success. My only reason for questioning this situation is because I honestly think she said she was pregnant for the attention she would get because it was around the holidays and that is just the kind of person she is.
Thanks red_rose.  A blighted ovum is where the egg and sperm meet "fertilization" and go to the uterus to form, but nothing forms or the baby stops forming at an early stage.  In my case, it stopped forming.  There was nothing to do but have a D&C to get the tissue out, so I could try again or whatever.  I had never heard of a blighted ovum until this happened to me.  But it's very common and it's a fluke thing.  Just because it happens one time doesn't mean it happen again...
Sorry to hear of your loss Krushing. Can I ask you, whats a blighted ovum?
sometimes if you had a natural m/c and you did not pass everything then your dr can give u med to make you contract and pass the rest so they want have to do a d&c and i know of someone who was givin the med. to help her to speed up and start her m/c since the u/s showed she had already miscarried she had just not started to pass anything yet.  i had to have this med even after my d&c b/c they did not get everything. i would not doubt your friend b/c there is med like that and if she did hae a m/c it is a very hard thing to deal with and i am sure she  needs lots of support even now since she has been ttc and has not been able to get p yet.
i had a miscarrige at 10 weeks and i found out that the baby had died on the 19th june 06 i had my dnc the following day as i had serve pain i had 2 pressy tablets before my operation to soften the neck of my womb for the op as it made it easier for the surgon, i was supposed to have the op on the friday but as i had serve pain the did it the following day
I understand your doubts i have a woman in my life that is all about the drama too!!! Apparently she was dignosed to have loss the fetus had bleeding so she said she had taken the pill and fetus was  accidently still alive. So then had the decision to continue with dnc  as fetus was then damaged ..Pregnancy(or loss of ) can make some woman loopy be patient hormones gone arye.......