Missed Period and Unusual Discharges

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Missed Period and Unusual Discharges

Hey guys. I need some advice. I haven't had my period for well over a week now and I've been getting some brownish-black discharge on certain days, but no period. On other days, I've gotten a dark-yellowish discharge and I don't know why. I've also been having mood swings. Could I be pregnant?  If so, then why am I having these weird discharges?  Any advice will help.  Thanks in advance.
And yes, in the past month, I've had sex with my long-term boyfriend.  We used condoms and we made sure he didn't *** in me.  The only thing that worries me is the abnormal discharge that occurs on different days.
wait, you said black? Ive had brownish, thats old blood, but never had black.....

do you have any breast tenderness, thats also a sign I had early on, but everyones signs are different.

Take a test.
Are you saying that you got off your period a week ago, or that you are a week late?

Are you cramping? The first time I was pregnant, I missed my period, but had cramping...my doctor said that it was my uterus growing, and that its normal for first time pregnancys, sometimes second and third as well.....and yeah, when I was pregnant both times, I had a wierd discharge at first....sorry, thats all the advice I can offer.
Hi, I am having the same thing.  Am on day 46 now so nearly three weeks late and we have been TTC.  I have been spotting on and off for the last three weeks though sometimes just brown muck and sometimes bright red.  Thought I had my period for a day but then nothing.  Am having a few cramps, most often very low down in abdomen and quite bloated so feel like I will get period.  I know I need to take a test but don't think I can be if I am feeling so pre-menstrual.....
Nope.. no cramping or breast tenderness.  I'm well over a week late, that's what I meant, sorry.

I've also had food cravings and recently gained about an extra 4-5 lbs.  

I'm just afraid...  oy.  If I take a test, are there any out there that anyone could recommend?
HI guys

My husband and I had sex when I was ovulating and just a little before ovulation (I took a ovulation kit as I want a baby so bad) anyway my periods are due I think in about 4-5 days my cycle varies a little which I put down to my PCOS. I had a brownish discharge for about an hour 3 days which did not develop into my period and today I have noticed a lot of white discharge and some discharge that looks kind of yellow/green very pale sorry for so much glory detail lucky it is the womens section. Anyway I took a preg home test today and it came up negative maybe it is to early though, by my breasts are so sore and extra lumpy, I feel more tired than usual like I could sleep all day but I'm overcoming a virus to the heart so it is hard to know what is really causing the tirdness, and I'm going to the toilet more than usual. What do you guys think sounds like some of you are having similar symptoms, if I was three weeks overdue for a period I would def take a home test my sisters have both had a lot of luck with the brand discover one step and it is not a dodgy paper one like some home testing kits.
You both also have similar symptoms as I.  I just realized that it's been over 2 weeks, not one.  And no period yet to dat.  I'm getting so tired now... and I'm eating so much.  For some reason, everything looks so delicious, hehe.  And also, my discharge is now what may be considered "normal"..  it's back to a light yellowish pale color..

I'm gonna get a p-test soon.. not aiming to have a child yet, but let's all hope for the best.
Oh, and thanks wazza for recommending a brand! =D  I'll definitely look into it then.
Hi my period was due last week and instead of having my usual period I had a brown discharge and lower stomach cramps on and off. The day after the brown discharge I got a pink tinged spotting on the toilet paper when I wipe but no period. This has happened for a whole week and the spotting varies from brown to pink and so on. I have no pregnany symptoms but my period is usually right on time and I wouldn't call the spotting a normal period because I usually have heavy periods and this is just when I wipe, exept for yesterday I got 2 little spots on my panties when I sneezed I felt it come out but thats it. What do you guys think this could be? I took a home pregnany test 5 days into the spotting which made me 5 days late for my period and the test was negative but it was late at night when I took it. Do you think I am pregnant or something else? What else could be causing the brown/pink spotting? Thanks for your time, Brandy. If you would like to talk about this please email me at ***@**** :) I don't have insurance and can't afford to go the doctor.
Wazza, I to have pcos and i have been experiencing a lot of pregnancy symptoms, i'm am now 12 days late, i have been having nausea and vomiting, spotting on days 6 and 8, cravings, and frequent unrination.  I had taked 2 hpt's and neither worked i also had blood work done on day 8 and came up with nothing i must go back by this friday again to test.  I also heard that women with pcos can't use home preg tests that they won't work but i wanted to try anyway.  has anyone else ever heard that?  well good luck to everyone and babydust.
I am now 3 days late for my period. The first day of my last period was Dec 20 or 21st. sice then, I have had ligth brownish discharge and cramps. Several days ago I had a yeast infection. I haven't had a yeast infection in like 15 years. What is up with that. I need some advice. I would be slightly happy if I was pregnant, but my husband would not be happy at all. What to do. Am I pregnant, or am I crazy. I took 2 pregnancy tests the first day of my missed period and it came out negative. Does anyone know what is wrong with me?
The last time i got my period was nov 22 05. I took a pregnancy test the week after I was supposed to get my period, and another a week later and then another! they all came out negative but now it has been 2 months, and i should have gotten it in january and missed it again. now for the past two days i have been having slight brown/red discharge and cramps low down in my abdomen. I am still very infrequently nursing my 20 month old. i thought that might contribute to me missing my period but it has been on time every month since april. does any one have a similar story or any advice?
Molly01, i have the same thing goin on as you posted early this month, did you ever find out what was wrong?
hi ...my girlfriend and i had sex about 2 weeks ago..and she normally gets her period right around that time...she hasnt got it since then..im worried that she might possibly pregnant but shes positive she's not...she keeps teling me not to worry about it because she has been this late or later before. she sayss she hasnt had realy any symptoms of it ..but when i finger her sometimes she bleeds a little bit..im wondering is it highly possible that she is pregnant....?
I am a week late for my period.  My last period was 7/20/07.  Today is 8/29/07.  My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on 7/29 and 8/12 bith days that were not prime for ovulating.  Over the past month I lost 10 pounds and was extremely stressed at the end of July.  I am having cramps and a brownish and pinkish spotting its very light.  Could I be pregnant?  Am I missing my period because of 10 pound loss in a month?  
I'm having the same problem here. My period is very regular 28 days. Last month it came 3 days late. For the month of August I since of smell was very high not to mention that all my cloths are tight however, when I got on the scale it stated that I lost 5lbs. I wake up sleepy and certain food make me sick. I been having cramps like my cycle was going to start but never came. Just yesterday I had a brown discharge (old blood) when I went to the restroom but that was it. Early this morning I started to feel adomin pain (cramping). Its light pinkish period but it seem to have gone away. Could I be pregnant?
same here last month i strated on the 17 and spotted pink for two days..witch goes foe at lest 5-7 I took 3 home test came back neg.. but this week twice when me and my boy frind have had sex i spot
I am having all of the same issues. only i am going on nine days of this spotting
any ideas?
I was on like three different fertility pills for a month and followed doctors orders when to have sex with my husband now Im like ten days late with my period i have cramps which i have never had before,sometimes i have cravings and my mouth seems to be watering it doesnot happen all the time plus my nipples are very sensitive i could hardly touch them all times and my left nipple was letting off this watery things a few days ago but now my entire body hurts and i have been having a reddish brownish discharge can anyone help me its urgent i really wish that i could get some advice on this.
hi i just got off my period and we had sex lyk 2 days before i got off my period since it wasnt really bad and i have been off for 3 days and we had sex last night and i noticed i was spottin after wards last what would that mean?? could i be pregnant?? when i got my period i was 3 weeks late and it started out a brownish color for 2 1/2 days and kept stopping and then the reg blood started my boobs seem slightly tender rite now but i dk? could anyone help me??
When you had intercourse 2 days before the end of your period, do you classify that is being off or on your period?  And the 3 days afterwards when you had intercourse again, did that include the 2 days before your were officially done menstrating? A couple times I have had intercourse on the 6th day of my period (when there is less then a dime-size amount of  brownish discharge) and I will start bleeding full force again right after intercourse (bright red blood) for another 24 to 48 hrs. Which prolongs the period!
i hadd intercorse just bout everyday including the first two day of my period. the last two days i had intercourse i was still on my period and then 3 days after everything was completly stopped!!! im am also wondering if i could be prego and that jus be some spotting from conception cuz it takes what 5-6 days after conception to spot i think im not sure though what do yew think?  
It is actually any where from 12-14 days later.. or longer.   I have been experiencing brownish/almost black discharge .. && im on birth control. BUt for the past 2 months thats all i have had.. is brownish black gooey stuff. && it only usually last 2 or 3 days. && it only has a pinkish like tint in it when i wipe but most of the time when i wipe its gooky and clobs of brown black lookin stuff. im confused though so idk?? Someone help me pleaseeeee.
im not sure what to tell bout that. . i wish i could help yew. . i do know tht when i was on bc i had very very lite periods. .but i have been off for a year now i have been tryin to get pg. . but i dont seem to be gettin anywhere and when i bleed after sex i figured i write here and ask.. . but we thought i mite have been last month but i had a slight period so i dk it bout that time agin to find out. . all i can tell you is to take a home test or go to the doctor and have them test you they can take blood samples as well to see if your pg. . i hope that helped some
I am late for my period. i've been every 24 days like clock work since we have had our second daughter. last october my husband had a vasectomy...he never took the sample in because (you know men) "how couldn't that have worked". I'm very crampy now especially in my lower back....i have a white "lotion like" discharge...my breasts really aren't doing anything but then again they did not bother me with my last pregnancy...I've run to the bathroom many times to think i have gotten it...but its always that discharge...there is no smell, no itch, its just there...anyone have any ideas... you think after two kids i would know...lol
I have had the same exact symptoms you describe, am 12 days late and am 47 yrs old with a 25 and 17 yr old. I never thought it possible until reading all these postings and am starting to think twice, although I had an endometrial ablation over 3 years ago. What gives? Am calling the dr today.
missed period by 6 days. small cramping. spotted a little bit of a brownish discharge in this afternoon but stopped now. I usually have alot of painful cramping at the beginning of my period but don't feel it much.  I took a pregnancy test first day missed period-was negative. should take one now but afraid  of the results.
hey, me and my bf had sex without a condom like 2 weeks before my period was due. Now I'm over 4 days late and the discharges has stopped. I don't have a symptom of being pregnant except for the late period. I'm really worried, because I'm only 14!
Help!

HI I am also very concerned about my symptoms too.a week before my period I had sex with my husband and when my period was due I got a brown discharge for like a day then the following day I thought I was getting my period cause I started cramping but when I used the toilet I wiped and light blood was on the tissue but no period then the nest day and until now I haven't had a period and it's been two weeks late I also have breast tenderness and sleepy.what can it be cause I really need to know I have three kids and ever since I got pregnant with the third child I had never gotten a brown discharge.
I'm 18 and have been using birth control since 2007, back during this past april 2009 i had to be taken off birth control because it caused me severe illness. I have been going through depression and a lot of stree since October 2008 because i lost my fiance in a car wreck and also lost our baby to a miscarrage (miscarriage). I started a pill back in september and after 1 week i had to quit the pills because of the same severe illness that put me in the hospital I had what I thought was my period a week later! After that week my boyfriend and I had protected sex. I have not had a period since September 24, 2009. I've had abdominal cramping like i was goin to start, but i haven't gained weight or had any other symptoms like breast tenderness, morning sickness..i have had a snot like white discharge that occurs every 3 days. My periods have always been irregular..any adivce??
back in september 19 I had brownish pinkinsh discharge and after three days later i m not sure if its period or discharge.. but very slightly two days period but it was brownish and not alot is was like more likely spotting.. after that i haven't got my period its been over two months since sept19 til now nov 27.. 2009. I took two home pregnancy test and both neg.? I have been getting lil nausea, my stomach sometimes feel bloated and eating more, very sleepy, around my nipples are a lil dark and stuffy nose at night, having dreams about babies...  a lil tender on breast but the pain comes and goes... I do feel alil crampy when i eat.. i feel  so tight i don't know im confused... am i bugging is this all in my head.. I do have a lil irregular periods but its over 9 weeks and six days late... im getting a headache of just thinking if i am or not.. someone please explain what im going through. to remind you im also in dialysis....
ok so I was to start yest 28th day and I have been spotting sometimes pink or browish /red and now today its kinda creamy off whitish color a bit of smell but not bad! no iratation, boobs dont hurt, tired as hell! kinda acky a bit all over, no cramps, we have tried getting prego for a while now, I am normally right on 28 days!
Even I am not getting period, it  is 15 days over. my  UPT is -ve.
very little browd spot 2 times in 15 days. any idea??
Hi All.
I've ben trying to get pregnant for the last 3 years=( No luck.. I am a week late , so obviously , you find yourself getting super excited. Not Only am I late , Im always tired , and in the last 2 weeks I've picked up a HUGE amount of wieght . My Appetite is increased like crazy.. heat flushes too,, But today, crazy bad period pains , but no period, Just a pink discharge.
Did anyone here end up being happily pregnant? I am very quickly losing all hope. If Anyone has a success story,, Please share,
Email me on tiny_turbo531***@****
hey i am 13 and am having clear discharge is just ovulating it's been going on for a few weeks now and i have had no blood-period

I have regular periods.Last month I got down on 23rd Oct..But this month till date 23rd Nov my periods have not started..I had very slight intercourse(just an inch insertion) with my boyfriend on 5th Nov...
What I have observed that certian white discharge is secreting from my vagina..
Can I be pregnant? If Yes, whether if ill go pregnancy test will it come positive now?
I had my iud removed jan 29 and had my peroid 4 days after that I didn't have a period in feb and it's now march and I have not had a period but I have had a brown discharge for the past two days but only when I wipe I took two hpt the being of march and they both said not prego I have been having lower back pain do y'all think I am prego??