Missing ovaries???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Missing ovaries???

I went to the doctor and he felt that I had an enlarged uterus. He sceduled an ultrasound and a consult with a GYN for a biopsy.

I went for an ultrasound (external and internal) and the results came back that my uterus looks OK but no ovaries could be seen.. Now I have to have ovaries don't I or I wouldn't have periods right? I am 49 years old and have had some symptoms IE lower back pain and extra heavy irregular periods with clotting.  

Where have my ovaries gone?? Has anyone else ever had this happen?  I am waiting for Doc to call back and see if he still wants me to go for a biopsy.
well the lower back pain, heavy cycles and clotting sound like endo. I was told before my hyster that my dr didn't want to leave my left ovary because they often get hidden intestines and the colon. Seeing as you haven't had a hyster it could be they were playing hide and seek with the technician. Mine use to do that often, The technician just doesn't put enough pressure there to make them show up.
Yes - I have heard of that happening - I wouldn't worry about it - it means they just couldn't see them that day, not that they've been swallowed up by an ovary-eating monster! :O)
Hi there - sometimes ovaries aren't visualized on an US due to abdominal gas and sometimes a loop of bowel can obstruct the view.  if they were enlarged or had cysts on them, most likely they would be large enough to be viewed.  postmenopause, they get really small and then you really can't see them - hopefully! :)
LOL Canada..Ovary eating monster!! Doc called back and still wants me to see GYN. Appt for monday. Sometimes I wish it was bad enough that they would just let me get a hysterectomy. I'm so sick of these painful and messy periods. I have hashimoto's which just adds to the mess. Ugh!!! Thanks for the info people!! Blessings.
I had an ultrasound done a couple of days ago, the results show that the ovaries were "not seen"!  Where did they go, I am older 63 and I know that they do shrink, but what's up, someone suggested a MRI that they might be found that way.  I have been having spotting and pain in the location of the left ovary and now I am really confused, can anyone offer any help.
Thanks..
I had a hysterectomy almost three years ago. However, about two months ago I started having severe menstrual like cramps and pain during intercourse. I went to my gynecologist because I thought it was endometriosis or scar tissue. He suggested a laparoscopy. About five days after he did it the cramps came back. I have been suffering this whole time. He found some scar tissue and a missing ovary. I have since had a colonoscopy which was normal. I have also been to several specialists to make sure nothing else is wrong. No one can figure out what is wrong. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen to them. Wandering if anyone else had a missing ovary and had menstrual cramps but also had a hysterectomy. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. The doctors have no clue. My last option is to be cut open to look for the other ovary since it could be caught up somewhere causing the pain.

Thanks.
im 24 years old same case with you ladies, i have my transvi last july 11, 2012, and the sonologist cant find my right ovary.she said i pee first then she will try to find again my right ovary but, stil cannot. after 12days i went back again to hospital for my follow up check up.they do transvi again, but sad to say still cannot find. she said something is covering my right ovary, maybe a pooop. i saw it also a big something inside covering it..i felt some pain in my right abdomen sometimes.. im so scared, is't possible that the ovary will gone or melt?????hai..any opinion from anyone...thanks!!!
As others have said, it is not uncommon for them to hide. The last three ultrasounds I have had push down on my stomach for the tech to find them as they were hiding. I hope you get results soon!