Molluscum + Oral Sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Molluscum + Oral Sex

Health professionals—I am in dire need of advice.

First, to preface this—I am an anxious person and I am worked up—mainly because my issue involves another person and I'm super worried I may have knowingly spread my Molluscum.

1) I noticed that I had Molluscum in my pubic region about 4 months ago.  When I first read about it, I didn't freak out that much because most websites said it was harmless/would go away on its own.   I decided to ride it out as per suggestion of my gyno—esp since I wasn't having sex and I wasn't planning on it.

In January I started hanging out with someone new that I want to have sex with.  We haven't yet—and a few weeks ago, my gyno removed my lesions with cuttrage.  I went back to her two more times to remove tinier/less visible bumps—there were only about 5 more total.  I was crossing my fingers that they were all gone, but yesterday, I think I found two tiny ones on the pubic area of my body—which are so small that they are hard to see/could be mistaken for hair follicles.

Here comes the TMI—last night, I messed up—the guy I've been hanging out with gave me oral sex.  His mouth didn't come into contact with the tiny known lesions in my pubic area.  It was in the heat of the moment and I let it happen—which I now regret.  I also gave him oral sex after we kissed/he had given me oral sex, and I'm nervous that in some weird round-about way, I could have spread it to all places my mouth touched.

2) Does Molluscum spread only if a lesion with a head is scratched open or can you spread it by making contact with skin that has no papules?

3) This is going to sound ridiculous, but he guy I'm hanging with has a beard—can the virus live in hair?

4) Do you have any advice as to how to talk to someone about this without freaking them out as much?

Before I talk to him, I really need someone to talk me back down to earth—I'm wondering if I'm being sane and logical or if I'm working myself up over nothing.

With that said, I really appreciate your advice!  Anything helps. THANK YOUUU.
Molluscum is the result of a viral skin infection that is spread through skin-to-skin contact, so the infection can often be passed on during sex. Since your boyfriend had given oral sex, so chances of transmission are there. Molluscum being a viral disease, virus cannot survive outside the human body and hence cannot persist in the beard.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.