Monostat 1 Day Treatment for Yeast Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I woke up Sunday with a killer yeast infection, don't have a clue why.  I went horse back riding on Sunday and of course Monday was awful.  Stopped on the way home from work Monday evening and got the Monostat 1 Day Treatment.  Well, today it feels worse than yesterday.  It's driving me nuts.  Is this normal, or should I get more and try it again.  I've never used the 1 day treatment before, I usually get the three day.  Anyone?

Thanks for the help!
are you absolutely certain that is it a yeast infection? have you had one before and had a dr. confirm? what are your symptoms? i once had an infection and thought that it was a yeast infection. I bought the cream and made it worse. i went to the dr. and there was no yeast present.
i have heard that the 1 day treatment is not as effective as the 3-7 day. i usually go with the 3 day but being as thrifty as i am, the 7 day is less expensive!
Yeah, I've had them before. Got the usual symptons of the thick cottage cheese looking stuff along with itching, burning and soreness.  The soreness could be from the horse back riding though, but it is a sympton.  Do you think I should go back and get the 3 day treatment, even though I've already done the 1 day?  It did have a small tube of external cream that it said to use twice a day, so I'm thinking maybe it's normal.  Maybe I should wait a day or two to see if it goes away.

Pam
i often get yeast infections and have tried the 1 & 3 day treatments...they didn't work so my gyno advised me to use the 7 day treatment, and it works like a charm!
yeah, but let him know you need to clear it all up or if not you can pass the yeast on to him and then you can get it all over again. watch, your yeast infection will clear up after the week and your period will come. that happens to me sometimes. lovely being a woman huh? good luck to you!
Ugh!  Okay.  Hubby will love that (LOL!).  Thanks for the help you guys.
i hate to say it, but go and get the 7 day treatment. i know it involves inserting it for a whole week at night and can sometimes be messy (comes out/leaks during the next morning/day but it should clear it right up.
Make sure you S/O uses the cream that comes with the treatment or he will keep giving it to you.
I used boric acid in small capsules...as soon as I would feel one coming on I would insert a small capsule and it wouldn't come.

I haven't had a yeast infection for years because of this. Talk to your doctor, for more info, there may even be some info on the net about boric acid an yeast.

You can get a small bag from the chemist in your local drug store, they can also give you the caplets...although they are sold in the 100's..you'll never run out.

Good luck!
should it be very painful after using a 7 day treatment of monostat? After inserting the cream it becomes very painful ,so painful I cry . Its sharp pains inside my vagina area? whats going on does this mean the treatment is working
No.   Stop using it!    Many people are allergic to the ingredients in monistat.   Go see your doc.  If it's yeast they can perscribe diflucan which has very minimal side effects.
I think i have a yeast infection!
I had it ever since i was 15, i thought that it came along with my period but i was wrong. It started hurting lots. I told my mom when i was 17 and now i am 18 and it came back. I had used the 7 day treatment but it cam back this year(2008). I hate it. I think im goign to ask my mother if she can buy me it one last time then if it doesnt work im going to the doctors. Its so embarrassing having someone look down there on a woman.
ahh!

sin seriously SICK_OF_PAIN!
Beside using Monostat, Diflucan and any other prescription drugs there are other natural remedies like supplements, antifungal, herbs..
Normally, we're unaware that yeast colonies occupy our bodies. If however, we develop candidiasis, we can be sure that something else is going on to set the stage for uncontrolled yeast reproduction. 3 out of 4 females will experience at least one episode of candidiasis and most of them will suffer from recurrent infections. Several conditions can make us susceptible to yeast infections: Poor nutrition (sugar, refined products, ect.), antibiotics, hormonal changes of pregnancy and PMS.... to summarize preventing recurring yeast infections:
keep the immune system healthy with a nutrition diet, regularly exercise, supplements like vitamins, mineralos and herbs, give up fatty, sugary refined foods, don't smoke, drink alcohol or consume caffeine, take a lactobacillys/acidophilus supplement every day, take a  garlic capsule every day, don't use antibiotics or other drugs.
It's not easy but it's worthed not to feel those horrible syntoms that we really hate... get well soon!! Sab
So, I'm pretty sure i have a yeast infection because i've had one before. I bought the 1-day monostat which worked last time. But both times the itching hasn't been that bad and there is no burning before and the itching gets bad when i use the treatment. Then, when I use the cream it starts to burn a little, but nothing unbearable. Last time it worked though, so is that normal?
I THINK I used an old monostat cream... and now when i pee it burns... i tried to wash it off but i just dont want to get infected or anything.. plus i dont think i have a yeast infection .... dont ask stupid thing to do.... but is there a chance that something could go wrong .... ie infection ..??!!
i have a yeast infection and have had one be-4 but this time i bought the 3 day and it did not come with external cream. do u have to use the external cream or is it just there to give u relief until u r done with the applications?
I saw my doc today for my pap smear and I supposedly have a yeast infection. Ive never had one before, and I dont have any itching, pain or burning. How would I be able to tell when its gone (after using a creme like monostat for however long)? Im not even really sure I have one since the s/o and I were rather rough just Friday. Could my doctor have been wrong since I have no symptoms that I can notice?
hey I'm 23 years old and I have been having a yeast infection since i gave birth to my 3 year old. and nothing seems to work and yes i keep going to the Dr and they keep giving me different treatment's and it dosen't seem  to help? any help please. and it's to the point that when  i have sex i bleed. so please HELP
My best friend had a similar situation for about a year and a half after her last child was born. They tested and treated for tons of things but no amount of antibiotics seemed to fix anything. Turns out, they discovered after all that that she had a yeast infection that had gotten back up into her bladder! That was causing all the constant problems and recurring vaginal region issues. She got the proper meds and it cleared right up and she's been in good shape since.
i currently have a yeast infection. i bought monostat 1 and just inserted it and it made the itching worse. i was just wondering if anyone else has this happen when they use monostat? i know it's a yeast infection because i have had them before...just got off high dose antibiotics and use oral contraception.
Normally in your vaginal canal you have both good bacteria and yeast.  When the bacteria is depleted, the yeast thrive and take-over causing you to have a yeast overgrowth or a yeast infection.  

TREAT THE CAUSE, NOT THE SYMPTOM

Bacteria are killed by drinking coffee, chlorinated water and most of all, by taking antibiotics.  These medications are not targeted to kill just the infection which is causing you grief, they kill everything, hence ANTI-BIO=ANTI-LIFE.

What you need to do is re-populate your healthy bacteria while taking measures to ensure that you are not feeding the yeast!  Just with baking, yeast feeds on SUGAR and also on alcohol, vinegar and yeasted items.  Staying far away from food items containing these substances are the ONLY way to ensure that you get your body back in balance.  

Next you must re-populate your healthy bacteria with sour, UNSWEETENED, PLAIN yogurt (or keffir, like yoghurt but more sour and with more beneficial bacteria).  Also, as you are in a depleted state, taking a PROBIOTIC supplement is necessary to getting your body back in business.  They should always be in the refrigerated section at a reputable health food store.  There is nothing in these supplements which can harm you:  They are already in your body, well, actually they WERE in your body until they were diminished.  You can even get probiotic suppositories which you insert into your vagina, in a similar fashion as Monostat.  This means you are getting to the ROUTE CAUSE of your discomfort.  

Whatever the reason your body balance has tipped in favour of yeast, the answer is always the same:  RE-POPULATE with a PROBIOTIC supplement and REFRAIN from eating the foods which yeast thrive on.  When you look at it holistically and understand how you got to where you are, it is easier to come up with a solution that targets the cause.  

In good health,
Katie
ok so i think i have a yeast in fection witch meens either i got it from my gf or i have givin it to her ,either way i hade to get this cleared up. my gf got monostat and i havent really found a solution
shes been off her period for a cpl of days and is using monostat but ther is blood shes scared and dose not know wat to do becaus we dont have money for the doctor can anyone give some incite to y the blood is present or wat i shuold do about my yeast infection? iv never had one befor didnt think it was normal for a guy to get one
im sorry for any spelling errors
wow,thats awful. listen your best bet is to go to the emergency room/.no one has to know,and youll get what you need and find out whats wrong immediatly. unless u have a private doctor.i usually go to the ER if i have any problems with my (area) . i am verrry prone to yeast infections. i am a very clean woman,been with my hubby 7 yrs,so it has nothing to do with that. sometimes people associate yeast infections with sex and being promiscuous. not the case. i have a bad one now cause of these antibiotics i was on clindimicin for a tooth prob. ahhhh im in so much pain,the burning,the itching,the urge to rub down there is unbearable...it is driving me nuts! i used moniistat 1 day and im still suffering,i asked my hubby to get me the 7 day. wish me luck..blah.. and relax it happens,youll be just fine. if it is an std or something,jus take care of yourslef. good luck. many blessings-)
OK - I am a 48 year old woman who has had lots of experience with yeast infections and Monistat. Apparently nobody here reads the instructions that come with Monistat. It tells you plainly that your symptoms may (well, they WILL) increase at first. I do not recommend Monistat 1.  It is too harsh and won't knock out a bad infection. Monistat 3 is my choice, and I will use two packages back to back if the infection is bad.  Generic brands are also fine.  ALWAYS the first 2 days at least the itching and burning will be more intense shortly after you insert the internal cream or suppositories. That's the way it is, you have to grin and bear it. Ibuprofin can help take the edge off the discomfort.  And YES, you may see a little blood those first two days.  Shouldn't be a lot, but a little is normal for the raw irritated membranes to bleed or ooze pink or red in your discharge. Take a couple ibuprofins, put in the monistat, and try to go right to sleep.  If you wake up itching/burning intensly, then get up and wipe off the excess that has oozed out. Gently wash with a soothing vaginal towlette or a moist wash rag if you absolutely can't stand the itching/burning, and then go back to bed. DO NOT SOAK IN THE TUB.  At least some of the monistat needs to stay inside of you for a few hours to do its work.  ALL yeast infections take 6-7 days for you to heal, no matter what you use to cure it. Think about it, a cut or raw skin takes that long to heal. So this is the same thing.  Keep using the external cream for 7 days. Monistst 7 is good for this because it forces you to wait 7 days. However, Monistat 3 is twice as strong so I think it gives faster relief after the first three days.  If after 6-7 days you still have discomfort, get another Monistat 3 pack and after that it will be gone for sure.  ALSO drink milk if you can, and eat a yogurt every day. Doesn't matter what kind...it all has live cultures, and any kind will help you from the inside.  Some Cranberry juice daily wouldn't be a bad idea either in case you have any little bladder infection accompanying the yest infection. That's really all you need to do.  

MEN...wash good every day and then use the monistat cream that came with your woman's monistat, rub it good into any foreskin or crevices of your own parts...for 3-4 (or 7 to be sure) days at least. This will insure that you don't reinfect her.  This is good insurance for you ladies.  The yeast usually doesn't thrive well on the men, but it can stay around long enough on him to keep you miserable. Men, if when you put on the cream, it burns some...well, then that means you NEED it!  It means your skin is irritated too. So there's your clue. Don't blame the monistat for not working if your man has not used it, and you keep getting it back every couple weeks.  Men can use the stronger cream inside the applicator or the weaker external cream on their parts.  

Women, if you get infections often, then start wearing cotton underwear!!!!  Get rid of the fancy nylon stuff, or save if for fun only, for when you will be removing it soon. DO NOT wear it every day, all day long, or when you are exercising, or you are just asking for trouble.  

Okay, that's allI have to say about that.  Use common sense, read information on the monistat boxes, don;t freak out, expect it to burn and itch, and take steps to prevent it from reoccurring by eating right, treatine your man and wearing sensible underwear.  And by all means, if after trying two boxes of Monistat, your infection is still not healed PLEASE see your doctor, as there are other STDs out there that mimic a yeast infection (like chlamydia) but will not be cured with monistat. They need to be diagnosed and treated by your doctor.
i have a yeast infection because of my antibocitic. i am 21 years old. i put to monistat egg inside of me and am now using the cream twice daily. how long does the egg stay inside of you?
hello everyone, i've read some really good remedies. i wanted to check though. i've been tested numerous times for STDs-all of them, over the last year and everything comes back negative. i have a YI right now and i feel like im sitting on a heater! the itching isn't as bad but it's still a pain. any extra advice to get rid of this? i've tried  some of the other remedies, is there anything else that is recommended????

Thank you
HI,

i also wanted to mention that if you have ruled out any STDs don't freak yourself out. i always freak myself out with everything. i've abstained from any sex or sexual acts for 19 months, have been tested numerous times with negative results and still freak myself out. if you have a yeast infection try the Monistat 3. i use that with the maximum strength vagisil cream-the nitrate cream they give you with monistat tends to irritate the skin down there rather than help for me. this usually does the trick. i try to make sure i apply the vagisil often throughout the day. if this doesnt do the trick, try the 7 day, after that go to the doctor. also be sure to drink lots of water and cut back on sugars and starches. a reason why women get yeast infections is because they don't drink enough water to cleanse out their system and then the yeast builds up causing the yeast infection (the same thing happens with UTI's- remember water is your friend!!!!! lol)  if that happens try a cleanse-you can get the at most whole foods store. bottom line, don't panic. i didn't realize how many women suffer from these and have recurring ones until i did some research. you'll be fine just try the Monistat 3 and go from there. By the way-i have tried the Monistat 1 before and have never had luck with it-monistat 3 or 7 is what works. good luck! i hope you get some relief!!!
I've had a yeast infection before so I know the feeling but this time its a little different.  My only symptom is ITCHING, no burning or cottage cheese just itching so I bought the 7 day treatment the first day of my symptoms and its day 3 and symptoms are not getting any better! Usually after the 2nd treatment I usually feel fine so im starting to worry that its not working or something else is wrong.

ANY ADVISE LADIES???
I've used all three (1 day, 3 day, and 7 day) over the counter treatments. I've had more burning the following day each time. I figured it was what it was. But I recommend the prescription, oral pill I get from my Dr. I get a yeast infection always when I take antibiotics or sometimes when I have my menstrual and use tampons. Thankfully its not often. Id recommend probiotic supplements and eating yogurt as much as possible to prevent or lessen the chance of getting one. Just thought I'd put my two cents in. Good luck to all ladies!
hi, i ave been having a terrible yeast infection for about over six months now, i have been to the doctor alot of time receiving prescription including creams, inserts and pill. it goes away and comes back the other month about a week after my period. i have decided to try the monistat to c how it works but nothing i do makes it go away and stays away. i am only 18 and have a long life to live in front of mi and its frustrating having to deal with list terrible infection every month.
what can i do to keep it away, plz i need ur help, any 1. thanz
wow! i couldn't read for more..its all complete..i agree read instructions..all you said are right.thanks
hey girls! I also used monistat 1 aout two days ago. I had no idea that I was supposed to use it at night soooo since i was doing alot of walking and runing that day it all came out. But today ive been seeing that im getting yellowish discharge. Before using monistat my discharge was just white so im guessingit either made it worst or its getting rid of all the yeast infection I had? I dont have any stds and I know this because ive been tested for them and the results came back negative. I only have sex with one person nd thats my husband ive been with him for almost two years so impossible. Ive also had a pap a year ago since i had also gotten a yeast infection and she did the cottong thing and the results were normal. So im here freaking out because as far as I know yellow discharde is not good but like I said before i used monistst my discharge was only white and after using it my yi only got worst nd now im left with a ton of yellow discharge! Any ideas? Please help. Cant go to the dr since i have no insurance or else that would have been the first thing i would have done :/
hank you gonnatake your advice :)
Today is my fourth day with a vaginal yeast infection... My mom gave me her nystatin triamcinolone cream for it and it feels so much better but then all of a sudden i would feel the itching and burning again!! Like i cabt sit still! I dont know how many times a day i can use it bc it is perscribed but i use it every morning and night... When i was putting it on today in the mirror i saw that my hymen was basically gone! Im a virgin and i dont masturbate and its not like it broke down over time... Its been a day!!! HELP! :,(
Unlikely the doc is wrong - yeast infections are visible, appearing like white cottage cheese that will often start a burning sensation when rubbed to remove without water.  Be thankful you don't have the nasty symptoms and use the treatment as directed.  If you use Monistat 3 or 7, it will be gone on in 7 days.
Do not use this product!  If you think your yeast infection is bad, just wait until after you use this. You will feel 10 times worse. The burning is like someone has taken a match to your crotch. If you are reading this, don't worry about getting it out of your vagina as the vagina naturally expels what it put in it and by the time that you are experiencing a burning sensation like you have been lit on fire, the F$#%$^$%^ oval is out of you. Your vagina has experienced enough drama...do not add to it. To get relief to your crotch, gentle clean the area with just cool water. Apply a cold pack for 20 minutes at time for least 4 - 5 hours. Take a Benadryl (for the itching), 3-4 ibuprofen for the swelling, apply hydrocortisone ointment for the burning (buy the ointment and the one that says water resistant...get the ointment not the cream). Go to bed with nothing on from the waist down. This area needs to breathe!!! If you need to go to work, I recommend cutting the crotch out of those tights/pantyhose or go commando. Repeat for several days…good luck girls.