My period has been going on for almost 11 days due to depo provera, is ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My period has been going on for almost 11 days due to depo provera, is this normal?????

I recently just got my first depo provera injection and my period won't stop, it's been almost 11 days now. My period is normally,before the depo shot, 7 days and that's it. Is this normal during the depo or should I call my doctor. Help!
i think it's normal after the 1st shot. not 100% call ur doctor if u are not sure
mine lasted for 4 months. it was horrible and it sucked.
i would strongly reccomend not getting it again
i regret it cause now i am trying to get pregNANT but cant because i still have not gotten my period back (14 months later). and i put on alot of wieght
I think you'r bleeding is totally normal. You should call you'r doc though just to make sure.I liked the depo shot cause i never had periods on it, but when my now husband and i started trying to have a baby it took me 1 year and 5 months to get pregnant. I would not recomend depo if you plan on having kids. If you do,stop taking it at least a year before you try. If you don't want to get pregnant right away, use condoms. After having my first, i went back to the normal ortho tri cyclen. when my son was 7 months old, my hubby and i started talking about when we wanted to have another baby and both agreed that when he was 1 yr. old we would start trying. So i went off the pill right away thinking it would take me forever and i found out i was pregnant 3 weeks later. So than i knew for sure that it was the depo that made it take so long! But whatever! LOL good luck
I just got my injection, and haven't stopped bleegin either! For 4 days after my period should have stopped I've been getting brown discharge.
It *****, and if it carries on for the entire three months I'll be seriously angry!

If this carries on for 3 months, i wont be having sex at all! That ***** too, because i only got the injection as a method of contraception. Not being able to have sex is a pretty sure way to keep me from getting pregnant.

Hope you stop bleeding soon! At least we're not alone in our worry! :(
x
hi i had the same happen to me my doctor suggested we try a different form of contraception as sometimes the depo has a side effect that it can make you constantly bleed it just means that it's not right for you, hope this helps
its 100% normal.i bleed for a month after my first time getting my depo shot.everybody is diffrent
i was on depo for a long time. and my period lasted the regular time my first time so i think you should call.
gradually my period completely stopped.
it was great! i didnt have to worry about it at all.
so i really think you should call a hospital hotline and ask them about it.
i hope it works out for the better.
I didn't get my period when I was on depo too. but now im OFF depo, my period wont stop, it's 11 days now and it's not showing sign of stopping. I'm still using up 1 regular tampon everyday (like my usual period). Also, my breasts are so tender it hurts just lying on my side in bed.. I was happy too when I was on depo. They neglected to say it's an A** when you're off it!
WHEN I FIRST START GETTING DEPO INJECTIONS I GOT IT THE FIRST DAY OF MY PERIOD WHICH ELIMINATED MY PERIODS NOW MY DOCTOR GIVES ME THE INJECTION ANYTIME OF THE MONTH AND NOW I HAVE REGULAR PERIODS IT LAST FOREVER NO PERIOD IS WHY I CHOSE THE SHOT MAYBE THATS WHY U HAVE TO GET WHILE UR ON UR PERIOD
I was on the injection for 5 years and my last injection was due april 2010. Which i didnt have as my partner and i wanted to try for a baby. The docs were not concerned my periods hadnt returned after 7 months but was sent for tests anyway and everything came bk fine. My periods returned beginning of dec 2010 and lasted 3 days and then came again mid dec (now)  and has been 4 days and a bit painful but .i am reassured this all quite normal, it just takes a while for ur body to return to normal and fingers crossed will be pregnant soon! I wouldnt recommend the depo to people trying for a baby as it can take such a long time for normality to return! Good luck x