My period has been going on for almost 11 days due to depo provera, is ...

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

My period has been going on for almost 11 days due to depo provera, is this normal?????

I recently just got my first depo provera injection and my period won't stop, it's been almost 11 days now. My period is normally,before the depo shot, 7 days and that's it. Is this normal during the depo or should I call my doctor. Help!
i think it's normal after the 1st shot. not 100% call ur doctor if u are not sure
mine lasted for 4 months. it was horrible and it sucked.
i would strongly reccomend not getting it again
i regret it cause now i am trying to get pregNANT but cant because i still have not gotten my period back (14 months later). and i put on alot of wieght
I think you'r bleeding is totally normal. You should call you'r doc though just to make sure.I liked the depo shot cause i never had periods on it, but when my now husband and i started trying to have a baby it took me 1 year and 5 months to get pregnant. I would not recomend depo if you plan on having kids. If you do,stop taking it at least a year before you try. If you don't want to get pregnant right away, use condoms. After having my first, i went back to the normal ortho tri cyclen. when my son was 7 months old, my hubby and i started talking about when we wanted to have another baby and both agreed that when he was 1 yr. old we would start trying. So i went off the pill right away thinking it would take me forever and i found out i was pregnant 3 weeks later. So than i knew for sure that it was the depo that made it take so long! But whatever! LOL good luck
I just got my injection, and haven't stopped bleegin either! For 4 days after my period should have stopped I've been getting brown discharge.
It *****, and if it carries on for the entire three months I'll be seriously angry!

If this carries on for 3 months, i wont be having sex at all! That ***** too, because i only got the injection as a method of contraception. Not being able to have sex is a pretty sure way to keep me from getting pregnant.

Hope you stop bleeding soon! At least we're not alone in our worry! :(
x
hi i had the same happen to me my doctor suggested we try a different form of contraception as sometimes the depo has a side effect that it can make you constantly bleed it just means that it's not right for you, hope this helps
its 100% normal.i bleed for a month after my first time getting my depo shot.everybody is diffrent
i was on depo for a long time. and my period lasted the regular time my first time so i think you should call.
gradually my period completely stopped.
it was great! i didnt have to worry about it at all.
so i really think you should call a hospital hotline and ask them about it.
i hope it works out for the better.
I didn't get my period when I was on depo too. but now im OFF depo, my period wont stop, it's 11 days now and it's not showing sign of stopping. I'm still using up 1 regular tampon everyday (like my usual period). Also, my breasts are so tender it hurts just lying on my side in bed.. I was happy too when I was on depo. They neglected to say it's an A** when you're off it!
WHEN I FIRST START GETTING DEPO INJECTIONS I GOT IT THE FIRST DAY OF MY PERIOD WHICH ELIMINATED MY PERIODS NOW MY DOCTOR GIVES ME THE INJECTION ANYTIME OF THE MONTH AND NOW I HAVE REGULAR PERIODS IT LAST FOREVER NO PERIOD IS WHY I CHOSE THE SHOT MAYBE THATS WHY U HAVE TO GET WHILE UR ON UR PERIOD
I was on the injection for 5 years and my last injection was due april 2010. Which i didnt have as my partner and i wanted to try for a baby. The docs were not concerned my periods hadnt returned after 7 months but was sent for tests anyway and everything came bk fine. My periods returned beginning of dec 2010 and lasted 3 days and then came again mid dec (now)  and has been 4 days and a bit painful but .i am reassured this all quite normal, it just takes a while for ur body to return to normal and fingers crossed will be pregnant soon! I wouldnt recommend the depo to people trying for a baby as it can take such a long time for normality to return! Good luck x
mkh9 commented on mkh9's status
55 mins ago
pb95, and LandM2009 commented on LandM2009's status
gymdandee commented on Remedies for Arthriti...
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals