My period has lasted for 3 almost 4 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am 14 and my period has lasted for 3 almost 4 weeks. I just recently got it this December, and have only had it a few times since then. Is this normal or should I see a doctor? (there is no possibility of me being pregent)
Tags: weeks, week, my, for, 4 weeks, 4, 3, normal
I think once you start your period you'll prob bleed more at first.  it's been so long for me, i dont remember...  but i think it'd bleed a little more and it will eventually get normal...  some girls even have irregular periods where things like this do occur.  if you are bleeding VERY heavily for 3-4 weeks then tell you mother or your guardian about it.  you wouldnt be pregnant if you are bleeding for that long.  keep up with it, mark it on your calendar when you start and end so after a course of time you can tell if it will be normal or irregular.  i would talk to your mom about it, and im sure she will have great advice about it.  dont be scared to talk to your mom/guardian.. i was one of those girls, and wish i wouldve talked to my mom so i understood it better.  i have a daughter now and i hope that when we go down that road she'll be very open about everything including things like this.  if you're in alot of pain with cramping lower abdominal pains then def talk to you mom about it.  
Thanks! Your comment helped alot. I talked to my mom about it and she explained that is was normal and im fine :)
great, im glad to hear it!  
I still think that you should go to the Dr because i personally don't think it is ever normal for a period to last that long. If you are gong to have long periods they may want to put you on the birth control to regulate them. It must be quite an annoyance for you and i think if it lasts another week def go to the dr