Navel Discharge and foul oder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Navel Discharge and foul oder

For the past couple 2 months I've had this problem with my navel. It leaks yellow/brown liquid and has a foul oder. When the liquid dries it because a crust around the outside of my belly button. My navel is an innie so it's hard to see inside, but from what I can see it appears red and inflamed.

I've been cleaning it with peroxide and rubbing alcohol and that seems to dry out the liquid but it doesn't get rid of the problem. I'm not sure what the problem is. I haven't gone to a doctor because for a while the discharge and smell went away, but now it's back again. Please help!
Thanks.
do you have a peircing?
i know sometimes you can get a fungal infection in your naval.  maybe it's turned into an infection??
I'm not sure what it is...only that it smells and it's really irritating to keep cleaning. :( I'm not sure how it could've started though...I mean I take a shower everyday so I'm not sure if it's a hygene problem. Another site I checked thought it could be some kind of yeast infection.
My DH had this.  I forget what it was called, but it was some kind of infection.  He had to go to the doc and get meds/cream but with treatment it cleared up quickly.  

Definitely see your doctor!  Good luck!
Yea i kinda figured that I'd have to make an appointment...just was wondering if anyone knew off hand what could be wrong. and no, i do not have a piercing.
This may sound gross but I had the same problem when I was a teen and the doctor said I had a yeast infection in my belly button.  He gave me some cream to put in it, but just to be on the safe side you should see your doctor and let them figure out what it is.  I don't want to steer you wrong.  Plus I heard that alcohol will dry out your skin but can also prolong the infection so that's probably not a good idea either.  Go to the doc.
My husband has the same belly button issues- no odor, just discharge after he picked out what he described as a sesame seed from within his belly button (guess he was doing a thorough cleaning one day)....... peroxide is not good to put on an open sore. Try an over the counter anti fungal cream or maybe neosporin. Hope you feel better!!!  :-)
  I've delt with this problem my whole life so has my brother , I'm thin but I have an innie also. I have to dry it out with a q-tip after showers , I ran out of q-tips about a week ago and guess what? its back. Its a yeast infection, just like all yeast infections they like dark warm damp places, just keep it dry and try a yeast cream, if that does'nt work you may have other issues,but if it works then you know the problem.
I had this same problem for years.It was so bad that I was sore on the inside from the infection.One day I got enough nerve to ask a friend of mine (who's a nurse) what could be wrong with me. She said, she had seen alot of this problem and that it's a yeast infection. She told me to make sure everytime I bathe to dry the inside of my belly button well. Also if I go to the beach or go swimming to make sure I dry it as well. I was cleaning it with baby oil and a Qtip, this worked well in getting all the discharge out and helped with the smell. I fixed the problem with a trip to the store, I bought cream  for yeast infections and it cleared it all up. I make sure that my belly button is always dry, and in the summer I keep baby powder on it to help it from sweating. It's been a year and I haven't had this problem since.
your advice to mitch1569 helped me also...thank you!
I have a umbilical hernea. I went to my GP and he did diagnose it as being that. He said not to worry about it unless it causes any problems. Well now a year later I have noticed a tightening and now a discharge coming from it too. It is yellowish in color and when I clean it with alcohol and a Q-tip it burns way deep down. I was wondering if I may have two seperate problems one being a hernia and one being a umbilical infection. I unfortunately am a student now and between jobs now so it will be a while before I carry health insurance. I am 26 and a physically fit male. I have read some comments that are definately similar with part of my problem (discharge). I do not think in my discharge situation is meerly a dampness from the shower issue though.
this is not just a women problem i just looked this up because it is happening to me right now and has one other previous time.  im told it is an infection in the intestines.
so i got on here because i to have recently discovered that my belly button has discharge and a light odor and i have never had this problem before nor have i ever heard of it so im guessing i need to see a doc but have no insurance so im going to try some of the other suggestions i have read about. y'all have been so helpful at first it was embarrassing but its a lot more comforting to know that there are others with the same problem.
Post Doctor visit:

I came across this thread yesterday and wanted to share my experience. The past few days I have had pain in my navel area and around it. I thought it was from wearing too tight pants. It wasn't severe, but uncomfortable certainly and mildly hurt when I turned or bent over. No fever, nausea, etc.
Last night I noticed some discharge from my navel. Cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and applied a triple antibiotic. (BTW- I AM NOT A DOCTOR. THIS IS NOT MY RECOMMENDATION, SIMPLY MY EXPERIENCE). This morning I woke up and the pain was less severe, but (grossness alert) there was dried puss around my bellybutton and inside fresh puss and even some blood. It freaked me out and I went to the ER clinic.

Diagnosis: Cellulitis

It's basically an infection in the skin and soft tissue. The doctor said it was pretty common, could be caused by an ingrown hair, pimple or cut. Bacteria gets in, festers, hot, moist environment- wa la: infection.

She gave me a 14 day dose of antibiotics, recommended I keep it dry and clean as possible, but not to touch it too much. Recommended cleaning it simply by soap.. oddly enough, she recommended Ivory. I used an antibacterial soap I had on hand. I'm thinking this will help, if it doesn't, I will post a follow up. Nothing worse than feeling scared about health stuff! In my case, it seems pretty harmless, but was frightening enough. If your experiences are similar to mine, you may need something easy as antibiotics. Don't worry.
If you don't hear from me again, assume everything cleared up just fine =)