Never Pregnant Health Risks

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Never Pregnant Health Risks

I have adopted all my children and don't plan on having children naturally.  Am I at greater risk for any medical issues by choosing not to have children? I've heard before that women who never have children are at a greater risk for some types of cancers, and just wanted to see if there was any validity to that statement. Thanks.
The Dr. Susan Love folks report, "Women who have never been pregnant are at higher risk for breast cancer than are women who have had a child before 30. However, women who have their first pregnancy after 30 are more at risk than those who have never been pregnant."  As with many stats, an "increased risk" could be just a slightly increased risk.  Have your mammograms and do your breast self-exams, and don't let it scare you too much.
Your last post was back in 2009 and it is now 2011.  I too had the same question that you answered here.  But my situation is different.  Unfortunately, and sad to say, I have had 3 abortions before the age of 35 due to health reasons.  Believe me, I still have guilt and always will!!! But at the time, it was the only option for me.  I have had numerous health issues that I won't get into which is why I chose that route.  I still am advised not to have children.  I am now 48 yrs. old.  My question is: Because I was pregnant but did not carry full term am I still at risk for breast cancer or other health risks due to not having children?  I do not remember how long I was preg each time but it would have been the very minium required time for the procedures I had done.  Seems like possibly 3 months????  Even tho you do not know me I hope you as well as any one reading this does not look down on me.  Not having children is one of the hardest things to go through. And knowing I can never give my loving husband children of our own.  Believe it or not, we both LOVE children and would love to have our own!!!!  Thank you and I hope you get this post to answer.  Or anyone reading this who knows the answer feel free to reply back. (But please! Nothing nasty about what you think or feel of the choices I had to make.)  Thank you!
Lisa Gibbs
pb95, and Des_a_rae commented on Risa615's status
37 mins ago
pb95 commented on KeeLolo's status
39 mins ago
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals