Never miss a period, negative HPT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Never miss a period, negative HPT

I'm 25 years old and healthy. I have always had a regular menstrual cycle, pretty much to the day. My last period was Wednesday, June 15th, meaning I was expecting my period Wednesday, July 13th. Tomorrow will be the 20th and I still have not had it, nor have I had any signs or symptoms of it. Typically before menstruating I get swollen breasts, lower abdominal discomfort, and bloating. There have been two times in my life that I have been late, but both of those times I exhibited the aforementioned symptoms while awaiting my period. This time, nothing - no signs at all. My partner and I have not been being very careful and I am not on birth control. I know we had unprotected sex while I was ovulating (given that I was ovulating at the time that I thought I was). I took a home pregnancy test this morning (first urine of the day) and it came back negative almost instantly. I followed all instructions for the test. The test was First Response and it was $25 for 2 tests. I have not changed patterns in exercising or diet and I have not been any more stressed than normal. I would like to say confidently that I am not pregnant, but it is unlike me to be late and I have never in my life skipped a period. Should I wait a few days and take the 2nd test, or schedule a doctor's appointment? Also, what are the odds that a HPT can be negative after being a week late?  
I would wait a week and test again and if it still comes up negative call your dr and ask them to schedule you a blood test.