Night Sweats Before Period
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and/or has any solutions. For a few years, I have experienced night sweats about a week to a couple of days before my period. They usually stop the first day of my period and then start up again the next month. And when I say sweats, I mean drenching... getting up at night at least twice to change and wanting to change my bedding but being too tired to do so. I have spoken with only gynecologist who blew it off. I have since changed gynecologists, but haven't met with her yet to discuss this. I read on the internet that it may have something to do with my progesterone level or that I may be premenopausal... but I'm only 33 and have been experiencing this for many years already. Hard to believe I'm going through menopause.

Anyway, any insight would help. I've tried everything... different sheets, different pajamas, turning the heat up, turning the heat down, fans... Nothing is helping.

Thanks!
Hi iam Tracy and iam 40years old and ihave just started my period but a week before I started I have been having really bad night sweets and I mean wakeing up with a paddle of sweet sat on my chest but freezing at the same time it affects my life like iam so snappy horrible to my kids my partner
To anyone who gets in my way I just hate myself how I become its like there is to people in me there's the kind and caring side of me for 3 weeks of the mouth then there's the monster who come out on the 4 week of my period it is getting worse has I get older so I feel for all us women who suffer
With thoses horrible sweets.  
What a relief to hear there are people with the same prob that the drs have no answers for. I too was tested for HIV etc. I am 35 and the night sweats r incredible. I am also experiencing severe pms some months. Might try some herbal remedies.....
I started having night sweat about 4 years ago when I was 36. It was triggered by a condition called Adrenal Fatigue, that happened after a very stressful family crisis.
Adrenal Fatigue diagnosis is very simple - the pupil is enlarged. When the body gets into Fight or Flight mode, the pupil  expands to get as much information for the emergency situation.
Adrenal Fatigue can cause health havoc, such as hormonal imbalance.
I have been working with an incredible Iridologist (a person who checks your health through your eye Iris) whom I see every other month. I use natural supplements and herbs.
I found that Pycnogenol (derived from French Maritime Pine Bark) helps to keep my night sweats at bay.
Also, I found that if I eat meat that was treated with hormones it triggers horrible night sweats. At home I eat only organic meat, but when I travel and eat whatever - I pay a price. So I prefer to be vegetarian on my trips.
I had my TL just over 2 years ago and since then premenstrually I get horrible night sweats which go on even during the day at times....thanks for the insight!  
I was thinking the same thing. I am naturally small boned and slight in figure. My doctor told me estrogen is stored in fat and so I may be experiencing estrogen deficient symptoms. While reading this thread, I had noticed that many of the ladies commented about being active and fit. A common thread, maybe? I started having night sweats immediately after having my first baby at 34. I was told it was due to breastfeeding. I then noticed that I would get night sweats just prior to my period. When I was pregnant with my second baby they went away only to return after I had the baby. I sweat between one night to one week during my PMS time. The only thing that helps is keeping a handle on stress, good diet, exercise, and soy. I've also tried the wild yam cream (Pro-gest). I thought it helped, but can't be sure. Good luck, sweat sisters! :)
Hello Ladies!

I am 33 year old and my night sweats started 3 - 4 years ago. They usually occur  a day or two prior to my period. Almost a year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and my OBGYN recommended to have Mirena. I refused it and instead I found a naturopath who prescribed me Natural Progesterone -100mg.
After four months of taking the Natural Progesterone my night sweats were gone. My period became regular - every morning on the 28th day (before was on the 24th or 25th day.) My hair stop falling and new growth had appeared. My energy improved, my acne cleared up and I got my happy mood back.
Unfortunately back in May I started having my periods on the 25th day again, but the good news is that the sweats are still goon. My naturopath  increased the dosage of the Natural Progesterone to 150 mg  and I still get my period early. Now I am on 200mg and will see how this month will go. Overall the Natural Progesterone works great for me. A week ago I had my annual exam and my OBGYN was kind of irritated when I told her that I am taking Natural Progesterone. I told her that all my symptoms have disappeared, but she still was suggesting I should switch to Mirena or birth control pills.

My opinion on this common problem among the women is that we are way too stressed and we eat very bad food - full of chemicals and this affects our hormones.
Even though I cook fresh and organic food does not help, because there is no real organic food in USA only CRAP!!! I am going to Europe next summer for two months and if my health improves there all my theory will be proven to be right...
I wish good luck to all!
Hey Guys!
So, I Am 22 And Have Had This Since The Age Of 17 & It *****. I Feel Gross Waking Up In The Morning, My Boyfriend Doesn't Even Want To Come Near Me Through The Night, And Yes, It Does Come From Anywhere From A Week To Just A Few Days. For Me (No, I Have Not Talked To My Gyn Because I Don't Think It's A HUGE Deal...And Don't Punish Me If You Don't Think The Same Way Lol), I Think I Sweat A LOT Of My Water Weight Out During This Time. I Say 2 Weeks Before My Period, I Get SO Bloated From Water Weight  And I Can Gain Anywhere From 3-5 Pounds Just Because Of This. But I Noticed When Ever I Get Night Sweats, My Swelling And Weight Drop As I Keep Sweating. And When My Period Finally Comes, It Is A Very Happy/Depressing Moment. Depressing For...Well...Obvious Reasons. And Happy Because It FINALLY Came And I Loose The Rest Of The Water Weight!

Anyone Else Noticing This?!

Thanks :)
its completley NORMAL its one of those things you never get told like how big you boobs get on day 3 of giving births and all that jazz so stop worring yes its horrible i have it also but its normal its due to the increase in hormone activity as your not pregnant and dont have a fertalized egg to nurish it how your body first start the procedure of removing the unfertalized egg and the process of a period....if you were pregnant it wouldnt happen ...hugs x
I have had this problem since I was about 27. I'm now 42. When this first started happening to my in my 20's I freaked out and was convinced I had menopause too! But I had the test and of course I was fine.

Two years ago, I had my first (yes first! :D) baby. The sweats stopped the entire time I was pregnant except for the night I went into labor! Once the baby was born I was nursing and the sweats (and my period) didn't return until I began weaning earlier this year. I read the link that someone posted to a doctor who "answered" the question. He mentioned premature ovarian failure. This might be true in some cases, but I think it's not a good answer. While I had a little trouble getting pregnant, before it happened, I had the test for that (ovarian failure) and everything under the sun and everything came back normal, and I ended up having a huge, healthy baby.

I think in most cases its some sort of hormonal imbalance. Last month I started acupunture and the sweats were very mild. I haven't been able to go for the last two weeks and they came back with a vengeance. I've also been trying natural progestrone cream this month and so far it hasn't helped, but I think it's helpful for most people.

Its a shame that so many women have this and there's no real info on how to solve it, just alot of scary stuff, that is not the case for most of us.  
I have been gong thru the same thing since  I was 25, now 44.  I fixed mine with extra strength HRT from Walmart.  It is a natural product.  I start taking them 4 days before my period and then stop when I get my period.  Works like a charm!
hi all, don't want to alarm anyone but since it hasn't been mentioned there is the chance that with lots of night sweats not explained by perimenopause or menopause, we should also rule out lymphoma (cancers that affect lymph nodes) and  a rare form of cancer (several locations in body but all types of this hormone-producing tumor type) called carcinoid.

for carcinoid, the great thing is that a couple of simple blood tests -for blood seratonin and CgA (blood levels of  chromogranin A) can almost certainly rule it out - just to be sure- since even imaging tests can miss it otherwise. because these cancers are rare even experienced MDs can overlook these simple tests, diagnosing other things like irritable bowel, etc for years because many are slow growing tumors...

just to be smart! smiles and best to all

for carcinoid, the great thing is that a couple of simple blood tests -for blood seratonin and CgA (blood levels of  chromogranin A) can almost certainly rule it out - just to be sure- since even imaging tests can miss it otherwise. because these cancers are rare even experienced MDs can overlook these simple tests, diagnosing other things like irritable bowel, etc & the carcinoid can go undiagnosed for many years because many are slow growing tumors...

I too am having these damn nite sweats. But, I drink tons of water and exercise five days a week. I am doing Insanity for the second time so I know I am getting my full share of cardio. I have found I can ignore the urge to wake up due to being soaked but it is still yucky feeling when you wake to have your boy shorts and tank top soaked and removing all my clothes doesn't seem to help either. The only thing I love is that the nite sweats are a good indicator of my cycle. I can say it is every month but the months it happens suck. I was searching the net just to be sure I am not the only one experiencing this phenomenon and thank goodness I am not. I think just knowing it is natural has helped a great deal.
Hi I am 23 and have also been experiencing nightsweats for the last three or four years. I took this issue to my doctor and she had me take a TB test and a blood test for HIV and then also to check on my thyroid. She also did a blood test for Anemia. She said that sometimes certain types of Anemia can also cause nightsweats. If you go to your doctor, have them do a blood test for your thyroid and also for anemia. Neither of them showed up for me, but I wanted to share that so that it can give you another thing for your doctor to check on. And it seems as though a reagular doctor will have more answers than a Gyn. I think it is more than just a menstrual thing and a regular doctor will have more insight.  Hopefully it will come up with some results or give your doctor another way to go? Another thing my doctor recommended to me is to have a high protein snack like an hour to an hour and a half before bed time. That has worked some and I can tell a little bit of a difference.  Another thing that has given me a little bit more help is moisture wicking sheets and pillowcases. I also wear a moisture wicking shirt and shorts, usually just the athletic ones, nothing special. When I do wake up, I don't feel as sticky and drenched as I usually do. I know how miserable it can be to get up and change your clothes twenty times a night and are too tired to change all the bedding.    I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!
Cold shower has helped me. So haappppy, I could not wait to share this with you all, no more sweat , none at all. I suffered on and off for 13 years.  I am 42 years old. I tried different food, elimination etc...... Warm bath made it worse, stress made it worse, ate dinner too late and too much made it worse. The past year I suffered the worse and panic because I sweat so much and every night, not just the week before period because more family stress and less sleep, worked too much and not enough rest, (I worked 12 to 16 hours a day and 7 days a week) sometimes i need to change clothes up to 10 times a night.  Cold shower helped strengthen my skin. I used to take real warm shower because I was always cold--bad idea. Now I take cool to warm shower and then finish of with all the way to the coldest shower for the last 2 minutes.This tighten the skin and it also good for my skin and hair.
Cold shower has helped me. So haappppy, I could not wait to share this with you all, no more sweat , none at all. I suffered on and off for 13 years.  I am 42 years old. I tried different food, elimination etc...... Warm bath made it worse, stress made it worse, ate dinner too late and too much made it worse. The past year I suffered the worse and panic because I sweat so much and every night, not just the week before period because more family stress and less sleep, worked too much and not enough rest, (I worked 12 to 16 hours a day and 7 days a week) sometimes i need to change clothes up to 10 times a night.Cold shower helped strengthen my skin. I used to take real warm shower because I was always cold--bad idea. Now I take cool to warm shower and then finish of with all the way to the coldest shower for the last 2 minutes.This tighten the skin and it also good for my skin and hair
Thanks for sharing! Encouraging to hear that you were able to get pregnant. I was worried that the night sweats would make it difficult to conceive.
Yes me too since I was 24 after I got malaria in Africa . No one knows anything , I think it's def hormone related as they stopped while I was pregnant and I am now 38 ...... Reducing coffee, wine, sugar and stress helps at times . I think it could be some genetic thing , triggered by some trauma which effects hormonal levels
I've had a tubal 10 years ago & I have been diagnosed with endometriousis ovarian cysts and p.i.d since the procedure. I am almost 32 & over the past year I have started having extreme night sweats but waking up freezing. Even more recently I have began gettin horrible migraines just before & during my period...anyone else experiencing this???
I have a fibroid too and I'm having the night sweats as well. I thought this was probably the cause of it also. My doctor pretty much brushed me off when I brought this up!
I just found this post and it appears to have started back in 2009.  I've always had problems with hot flushes since I was 16.  I'm now 28 and I have them and night sweats now.  Of course like most others have said when you first start to research these things all the really scary stuff pulls up first. (example-HIV) While reading through everyones experiences and personal solutions I realized that all of us are being pushed away by our doctors after explaining our issue.  I'm wondering why that is and why there are no real solutions to this issue.  Do we all really have to live with these sweating episodes for the rest of our lives?  It appears that most of us are having these issues around the same time as our monthly.  This has to be hormones and some of us are on birth control which I personally think makes this issue worse.  It does make women retain water; it's almost like eating the extra salt we're trying not to eat which causes the sweats.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm trying to excerise more, but I found out that can cause night sweats.  My house is feezing because even when I'm not experiencing hot flushes or night sweats I'm still hot, I've always been that way.  I need help and I hate doctors because they always brush everything off.
I'm 25 years old and began having horrible night sweats 5 to 7 days before my period would start there are some nights when I have to get up an change shirt or my side of the bed is wet I'm 5'2 and weight 125pds.. I began tracking these and other symptoms on a app called "p-tracker" I'm hoping at some point i can take this to my obgyn and get answers. For now I'm going to try to live a more active life style get to the gym or jog daily.. just this alone does a ton for your mind, body, and soul.
I stopped taking the pill over a year ago and started having monthly night sweats before my period. This website says it could be as simple as a drop in progesterone right before period starts:
http://www.sweatology.net/night-sweats/are-night-sweats-before-a-period-normal/
I am 42 years old and have been suffering from night sweats for years now but it seems to be getting worse with age. I used to get them about a week before my period and now it goes well into my period and even after. I probably have one dry week a month. Drenching is right and like most, if not all of you, the doctors don't seem to take this problem too seriously. I have had recent blood work and as usual, all came back fine. My next step is to see my dermatologist. Can't remember why...lol but I know I read somewhere to go see him/her.  Don't know if that will get me anywhere but I am so sick of this. I too wake up drenched and cold in my own sweats. The sweating is bad enough but then there is this odor of vinegar. I am going to try the cold showers which I know won't be pleasant but I am willing to try anything at this point. I will post my findings if any..good luck to you all!
I experience this too (in the same time frame -- 5-7 days before my period starts).  I talked to my doctor about this and she said it's because of the sharp drop in progesterone levels that brings on menstruation.  She gives me a topical bioidentical estrogen/progesterone combo cream that seems to help -- so you might want to look into this (there are some good otc progesterone-only creams available, too -- Progest is one).  Good luck!
Cat
External User
The night sweats are a symptom and onset of a hormonal imbalance.  
Hi there

I'm 40 years old and have been suffering with drenching night sweats for a week before my period and this has been going on for a couple of years (coincidentally it didn't happen before I had my sterilisation - tubes clamped rather than tied).

I also suffer from thrush about just before the sweats arrive so life can be pretty miserable, I have cut out sugar in my diet and do not eat red meat or processed foods so I thought this might help - NO DIFFERENCE!! Also I've gained almost a stone in weight and can't shift it at all which makes me temped to eat all the sugary things I used to love! I have been tested for the Menopause as my mother started when she was 41 years old - my test came back negative although I'm sure I am Peri-menopausal as my periods are every three weeks and usually only last two days.

However, I really wanted to share a piece of good news. I was recommended a herbal supplement called Star Flower which is to be taken every day. After a month the night sweats vanished. Also, I unfortunately do randomly suffer from hot flushes in the day and I was recommended Red Clover - this also worked and no more hot flushes. My only dilemma was whether I should take them both or will they somehow counteract one another.

I hope this helps all or some of you, I really think these supplements worked a miracle for me but everyone is different.

The only problem I need to tackle now is my weight issue, my only luxury in life as far as food and drink is concerned is Red Wine or a packet of peanuts and minimal quantities at that! Any suggestions welcome.

Good luck,

Beeney xx

I am 47 and have had this same issue on and off since about 32.  It has to be due to some hormonal surge right bf period.  I just woke up to sweat down to my ankles. It's so strange bc I have never had these sweats during the day. I have never found a doctor who knows anything about this.  Without reading through all these posts has anybody found a solution or answer?
Hi totie
I'm taking a chance assuming u r still using this forum.
If  u don't mind me asking- what was the outcome of all your tests related to the symptoms undescribed. My symptoms r a mirror immage of yours. I hav a gyro appointment but its 3 months away. Thankyou
I also have had night sweats the week before my period for @13 yrs and had a baby 4 yrs after they started. I'm now 48. The problem resolved during my pregnancy but returned and continued shortly after.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few yrs ago and once on medication for it, saw a significant decline in the sweating. However, the sweating has persisted despite the thyroid meds, but I would say that the sweating is not as severe as before I started meds. Our thyroid hormones help metabolize our reproductive hormones, so I wonder if the symptoms are connected? I'm guessing I was sub clinical hypothroid for a long time and wonder if that was tied to my sweats.. Anyone else with hypothyroidism and premenstrual night sweats?
I am a 28 year old woman living in Texas.  I have an 8 year old daughter and I am 5'3 - 130lbs, I eat right and am pretty healthy. I have more like morning sweats. It has been happening for the past 6 years or so.

I had a tubal pregnancy in 2011 and the month I got pregnant I thought my period was coming because I was having the same morning sweats like usual. Weird, huh??

The sweats happen like clock work EVERY month a few days after I ovulate and STOP the day I get my period. This is how it happens:

My alarm goes off @ 5:00am, I hit snooze. Then by 10 mins the alarm goes off again and by then I'm SWEATING from my forehead all down my chest, back of my neck, bottom, my thighs, underarms, and my vajayjay.

I can feel my temp. rising and I can’t stop the sweat, not matter what I do.
ONE thing that I have charted over the years is that if I wake up in the middle of the night and use the restroom I WON'T sweat when my alarm goes off. I think it's the amount/concentration of hormones in the urine accumulating during the night.

I've been to the doc many times and had allll the tests ran and I'm  "normal". I wish someone would come up with something to help us!!!  Blessings ladies!
I went through many years of fertility treatment and remember the night sweats very well. Around 10 years ago, I started getting night sweats about 1-2 days before my period. Now I've been going to an acupuncturist and she said it's an imbalance if you sweat. I'm going there for my thyroid ...which started being over active about 10 years ago.
Hope that helps!
I am 33 years old and have had night sweats that seem to be tied to my cycle for 3 years. My night sweats come most frequently before and during ovulation and my period. I wake up soaked on wet sheets. Right after my night sweats began in 2011, I had 2 ischemic strokes. I had tons of tests done to try to figure out the cause of the strokes, but my doctors didn't find anything definitive. They decided my strokes were of unknown origin.

I have had a few other weird and seemingly random health issues sine the strokes and am now dealing with infertility. My doctors have been unable to determine the cause of my infertility. After 1.5 years of trying, I finally got pregnant, but it ended in a missed miscarriage and d&c at 9.5 weeks. While I was pregnant, my night sweats disappeared.

My doctors think that all of my health problems are unrelated, but that doesn't seem right to me. I've always been very healthy and fit and have none of the risk factors for stroke. I have no family history of infertility. Has anyone experienced anything similar? My doctors are unable to diagnose, and I would love to figure out what is happening.
This is what you get when you mess with your system and take the pill. All doctors will tell you it is absolutely safe, I just don't believe that anymore. Hormonal balance is such a fine mechanism, ¨playing¨ with it will lead to a lot of health problems. This is the price we are paying now, it is as simple as ¨cause and effect¨. No one will bring accurate information to the table and warn about this awful side effects of birth control drugs because there is simply way too much money involved in pharma. I bet at least 90% of the cases here reported are linked to the pill.
I HIGHLY recommend the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. Unfortunately I don't have my copy with me at the time so I cannot refer to it, but I read it about a year ago and have been charting my cycle ever since. --I don't see why every post-puberty female shouldn't be aware of her own cycle. Having knowledge is power and can help you avoid so much worry!

I am supposed to start my period in a few days and I just woke up in a cold sweat. Because I don't have my copy of the book I thought I'd google it, so that's how I wound up on this forum! What I was able to find as a refresher through my google search was that in the luteal phase (the phase that begins after you ovulate, 12-14 days before your period starts) progesterone and estrogen are at a high, making your body like an incubater preparing for possible pregnancy-- body temperature is increased. Then, if you do not get pregnant, progesterone and estrogen levels dive back down as your uterus is signaled to shed the thick lining its been building up (thus your period starts).

So my guess is that the sweating is related to the change in body temperature which occurs as a result of the peak and dive of progesterone and estrogen at the end of the luteal phase. Not sure how, exactly, but based on the timing everyone has claimed to be experiencing these sweats (1 day to a week prior to period starting) that is what's going on with our bodies hormonally when the sweats occur. It's not a concrete answer but maybe a little insight will shed light for some people. I'm gonna attribute my experience to hormone levels during this phase of my cycle, but of course will stay on top of my health. If it turns out to be related to anything different or more serious, will try to come back and update you all.
Hello and YES! OMG.. I've been sweating my brains out for the past couple of months even more so right before my period. About 10 days or so before and it's at night or it goes away during the day for a tad unless I move, literally just walk or get stressed and BOOM ..hot flash!! Oh so not funny and the worst. I hate that feeling..It *****..This is from what Suzanne Somers great books have talked about and I am so happy she wrote all the books because she's amazing and had the same symptoms starting from about 35 on up until she reached menopause. I'm 43 years old and this seemed to have started around then..suddenly had a hard time sleeping at night..That's a nightmare in itself. The hot flashing is nightmarish!! I hate it..It's so uncomfortable. I have a huge ceiling fan over my bed and keep it on full blast even though it's about 43 degrees outside..I can't stand the sweating so I wear pure cotton tops and bottoms only.. That will help with the sweating.. Making sure that fan is on.. the works..Working out, taking vitamins, everything I've been doing is right.. I've really been doing the work..I found out it's perimenopause..This happens usually 10 years or so before you go into actual menopause.. Nightmares..I hate it..the sweating is the ultimate worst..Mood swings, crying jags, making me nuts.. I take St. Johns Wart to try to alleviate some symptoms..a huge array of vitamins..I'm doing everything right but my hormones are apparently off.. I think when you sweat it's progesterone or it's estrogen.. It's been worse lately.. I don't really know why..It's making me nuts..Going to a Dr.. GYN who specializes in this.Having a blood panel work up and an endocrinologist  will be able to check my hormone levels and from there I'm going on Bioidentical hormones.. I can't take this..I hate sweating and mood swings more than anything..It's making me nuts..No sleep, another issue from hell... Working out is great for endorphins to make you feel better emotionally.. It helps a great deal with the PMS..had my thyroid checked.. All came out normal..I'm getting on the Bioidenticals because I hear even women in their 20's can have hormone imbalances now a days because the chemicals we breathe in, the pesticides in food, get organic as much as humanly possible..I do and it does cost a lot but worth it.. Read Suzanne Somers books like Breakthrough. amazing information I never knew about, Ageless, I'm too young for this..These  books specify about the hormone nightmares women go through that have been suffering for years that we can now take care of through various ways and she's a God send!!! Pull up her Youtube videos speaking of hormones, get her books.. that's a given.. Make sure you read her books and Christiane Northrup's books..All for women about hormones and how to alleviate these God awful symptoms..I can't wait to get on hormones..I'm going nuts..Soon and I'll be back to my normal self again..able to sleep, no mood swings, and so forth... check it out ladies..Worth it..I'm spending a fortune to get all this done but your health and feeling good is more important and I'm definitely going to take the plunge.. amazing Dr's will work with you  and go to Lifewave.com for the names of Dr's in any state that work with hormonal issues and work with bioidenticals..Some GYn's won't do this.I won't go back to them if they don't do the natural hormones..Don't do the HRT that is that statin kind made of horses (pregnant mares urine).. Read the books..The wealth of info will empower you.. amazing and soon I'll be back to feeling normal...Good luck.We've all sweat enough to start an ocean....
Only an actual OBGYN, unless you actually went to one and they told you that something was physically wrong. Way too young to be going through that ..but lately, as many Dr's on shows have been pointing out, we have had so much to deal with, with chemicals all over the place, they screw your hormones up so much..Doesn't matter young you are..Your diet is extremely important. work out..the works.Everything healthy...If these clowns (Dr's) don't have a clue, and it angers me so much when they don't ..  Definitely change to one that has a clue, doesn't just use the Standard of Care garbage and is into integrative medicine as well. Natural v unnatural.. I feel all Dr's should practice integrative now a days because they've been around for thousands of years for a reason.. Most Dr's are just pumping people with Big Pharma junk..if you feel like you're not getting your answers and they're just screwing around and unable to find the answer as to what's happening...could be a huge hormonal imbalance. If they haven't checked that, I find that odd.. Check around and go to Lifewave .com about normal Bioidentical hormones..I'm going to an integrative Dr in CA and I can't wait because I've been dealing with this crazy hormonal imbalance issue and I want go on bioidentical hormones because of not being able to sleep, sweating like crazy, flashing 10 or so before my period. It's making me nuts.. So there is an answer and this Dr. is amazing .. check out that site and you may find a good Dr. that may be able to help you..They specialize in hormones..Sounds like a hormonal imbalance.go on natural ones if they advise you to go on any...Bioidentical not the statin junk they gave women that caused heart attacks, strokes, and so forth.. Keep checking..Your health is so important..
Get all of Suzanne Somers books as well..She has the greatest answers to what is happening ..Go on youtube and search engine Suzanne Somers interviews about hormones..Amazing..has all the answers.I found a Dr. a competent one because the BS of OH It's your hormones,or you're too young to have these symptoms is just totally not true..Some Dr's don't know squat.. Read Suzanne Somers books starting from Ageless to Breakthrough.. amazing books with so many of the answers to our questions. Google the Hall Center in Santa Monica CA.. another incredible Dr. that specializes in hormones..Prudence Hall.. I would listen to the talk shows, speeches, etc that Suzanne does and believe me, she knows what she's talking about. That woman is amazing  because she did thousands of hours of research. has interviewed so many professional Dr's who specialize in this issue. Womens Hormones and we're all sick and tired of hearing the CRAP these Dr's tell us and they try with the Pills BS..meaning  they try to give you antidepressants..Don't do it.. Not necessary, anti anxiety, don't do it,not necessary, all those BS pills are for them to make money for Big Pharma.it's a nightmare..It's natural hormones you need back in your body to get you back to feeling normal..check out the site, check out the interviews, the books, they're a wealth of incredible information..Good Luck!!
Go to lifewave.com and check out Suzanne Somers website and facebook page..All about hormones..check out her youtube interviews, speeches and much more..She will guide you. Suzanne Somers books, Christiane Northrups   books as well..These Dr's are behind the times..It's imbalanced hormones and they can get you the exact right testing done, the right Dr's and bioidentical hormones..Hate to say it, but some Dr's are absolutely idiots and dismissive of women's symptoms. They aren't up to date with the newest medicine..A shame as well. Read the books, google them..I'm telling you, a life changing experience.. a must!  Go to those sites and it will change your mind..Google the Hall Center, with Dr. Prudence Hall in Santa Monica, CA and she'll guide you as well..go to the website..You'll get so many answers...
Glad to have found this and don't feel alone.
But, imagine this...if a "man" had this problem, you can bet your bottom, there would be a cure by now!
Night sweats before and during menstruation are usually caused by the natural drop in estrogen before your period. This is the time of month when both estrogen and progesterone levels are lowest. Low estrogen is also what causes hot flashes and night sweats in menopausal women.
I started the night sweats before periods at 14, 15 years old. I'm 36 now. Never stopped . had my babies early 20's.  I'm not a sweater , but have night sweats before period. ..the sweat has strange distinct scent... Funny smell. Drenching sweats around chest , neck , head, hairline
Lemon is very cooling.  Try lemon water. Someone said eating grape fruits helps to balance hormones... So look up hormone balancing foods and herbs and give it a try.  I'm just trying new things as I hear them... No luck yet
I've had night sweats for years. Anywhere from 7 to 4 days before my period. I'm 36 now, they first started when I was 25 and had all hormone levels checked. All normal. As my mother went through an early menopause at 35, I had them really checked last year. Still normal. I also have endometriosis which causes very heavy and painful periods. If I ever forget when my period is due, the night sweats never fail to let me know. I can ring the water out of my hair and bed sheets. I end up leaving out a spare top to change in to in the night. Too tired to change the sheets so I turn my duvet over and round the other way, as I only sweat through my head and upper body. Then I turn the pillow over. Night sweats before period  are normal, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.Especially if you are nearing menopause and have any raised lymph nodes. But usually it's normal.
I feel like I am reading my perfect description of my life. I am 29 and have been experiencing all of these symptoms including the painful, severe periods that started about 17-18. I really truly believe I am an undiagnosed person with endometriosis. Night sweats started about 2 years ago. I went to the doctor, worried as my mother has major thyroid issues.Everything normal. Needless to say, my doctor has just brushed it off. This is life altering when your the one experiencing it. I think I will make an appointment with another doctor now that I clearly hear I am not alone. Thank you.
I have to chime in here to add my voice to the choir. I am grateful to have found this page to know that I am certainly not alone but it is discouraging to read how many women have not found relief despite various attempted solutions. Night sweats have been a huge problem for me for probably the last decade. For those of you worrying that they signal a problem with fertility, I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion, as I had 2 healthy daughters after starting these sweats. Like many of you report, my episodes are extreme to the point that I wake up with literally a puddle on my chest, soaking wet sheets stuck to my entire torso, freezing cold and exhausted. Since they coincide with the pre-menstrual period, my mood is made even worse through sleep exhaustion and the usual moody pms symptoms. It can be really debilitating, especially when trying to take care of already patience-testing young kids.

Having read the entire board, I am convinced it is a hormonal issue related to the drop in hormones right before menstruation. It could be progesterone or estrogen, as both drop right at that time. I am considered “estrogen” dominant by my doctor because of my endometriosis in the muscle around my uterus (called adenomyosis) and he has been trying different birth control pills to regulate my period (I was getting 2 week periods some months), but so far, 8 months of pills have done nothing to change the sweating. Also, I have been on and off anti-depressants and while I thought they may have been a bit less severe when I was off them, they never actually went away.

I get so frustrated because it seems that my doctor always feels like I must be exaggerating when I describe how much I am sweating. I have always been brushed off as if I’m talking about the usual exercise-related sweating. It’s hard to explain how different these kinds of night sweats are and how horrible they are to endure. I have a memory of my first night home from the hospital with my second daughter, waking up to nurse her in the middle of the night and being soaking wet, frozen, shaking, suffering from afterpains and trying to nurse her. I cried because I couldn’t get up to change and felt like I had a brutal fever or something. Another time, after being stuck in bed for a week after hip surgery, I had night sweats so badly I could see my fingertips wrinkled and my cold wet sheets fell into a pile beside my bed as if they had been in the washing machine. Again, I couldn’t easily get up to change myself and was stuck suffering in the freezing sweat. Brutal! That experience showed me that nightsweats are definitely made worse by inactivity and perhaps slightly alleviated by exercise during the day.

I have taken notes about all of your recommendations and I hope that anyone who is able to find relief will share it with us here as some of us are truly desperate!
Hi just saw ur response to this and wondered did u still get these night sweats before u knew u were expecting ur children as I am trying to get pregnant but almost always know I've not conceived due to the night sweats appearing before my period is due!Would I still get them if I was in early stages of pregnancy or did u not get them the month u discovered u were pregnant??
This thread has really helped me as I have been experiencing night sweats for the last 6 months from.3 days to up to a week before my period is due. I think it is to do with fluctuations in hormone levels post ovulation. The hardest thing for me is that I am trying to conceive my third and even before I get my period I know I am not pregnant as I get these night sweats. I didn't have night sweats prior to my two daughters so for those of u who got pregnant did your night sweats stop as soon as u were pregnant or carry on? I'm thinking I'll be able to tell straight away if I have conceived cos I won't get them that month. I also wondered whether it had something to do with the pre-natal supplements I was taking...would they cause night sweats? Any advice would be really appreciated as it's not so much the night sweats that bother me but the fact that I worry it's going to affect me getting pregnant.