Night Sweats Before Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Night Sweats Before Period

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and/or has any solutions. For a few years, I have experienced night sweats about a week to a couple of days before my period. They usually stop the first day of my period and then start up again the next month. And when I say sweats, I mean drenching... getting up at night at least twice to change and wanting to change my bedding but being too tired to do so. I have spoken with only gynecologist who blew it off. I have since changed gynecologists, but haven't met with her yet to discuss this. I read on the internet that it may have something to do with my progesterone level or that I may be premenopausal... but I'm only 33 and have been experiencing this for many years already. Hard to believe I'm going through menopause.

Anyway, any insight would help. I've tried everything... different sheets, different pajamas, turning the heat up, turning the heat down, fans... Nothing is helping.

Thanks!

I am totally the same with night sweats before my period.  Mine started about 3 years ago and i get them usually a week or a few days before I am due to start.  I often wake up freezing cold because i am soaked through.  I have not found any answers from my GP but I was tested for menopause but they were negative.  I am guessing that it is a hormone that changes or switches to overdrive just before I start.  But I too would like some suggestions, advice etc.

Hi there, I've had the same for years also, however seems to be more random when I'm on the pill. I"m currently seeing  a specialist who is doing a lot of different tests, so will let you know how I get on! I'm 37 and have probably had these problems since I was about 30, but it causes me a bit of anxiety because I keep thinking it could be something serious, so hoping for some answers!!
Ladies monitor the night sweats keeping a calender for each episode and see how often they occur that way when going to the GYN and he asks is it random or during menstration you can tell him definitively. I have night sweats also but they are due to removal of ovary and will continue until menopause! So good luck on your quests for the answers.
I hope you find some answers. Please post, if you don't mind, if you find anything out. My new ob/gyn had no ideas, other than saying that I should check with a dermatologist and get on some pills to reduce the amount that I sweat. It only happens right before my period, so I guess I could time taking the pills pretty well, but I wish there was another answer.

But, it feels better that I'm not the only one!
I'm sorry you're suffering, too. Do you remember when they started for you? It's been about 5 years for me, and counting.
I am 37 and this started for me a couple of months ago.  It is only the week before my period and then its gone.  I have an appt. with my OBGYN next week.  Sounds more common than I thought.  I have had nothing but problems since I had my tubes tied about 6 years ago, I am thinking after doing some research that the tubal ligation threw me into menopause- post tubal ligation syndrome.  Has anyone else had a tubal?  
Hi Maddie,

No I haven't had tubal. I wonder if the sweats are related to your procedure....
Hello, Im a 29 year old female and I've just started getting night sweats right before and during my period. When this first happened I was Freaked Out!!!! I went to my doctor and ordered a TB and HIV test, and that's because when you google night sweats everything that is fatal comes up first.LOL. And that freaked me out. Thank GOD that the test were negative. Then I started to wonder if it was premenapause. I just dont know, I guess this is more common then I thought.I hope we all find out why we got the sweaties! LOL
Hi, glad that I found this forum here. I'm 44 and started the night sweats in the 30's.  Usually it is about a week or few days before my period. I'm about to have my period 7 days ago but it is late.  I'm not pregnant and feel really bloated.  I had my night sweat last night and all the chills that I used to feel just before I get my period.  Not sure if I blame it on recent traveling and my cold mediation during my vacation 2 weeks ago that could have delayed my period.  Or I could be starting perimenopause. Anyone experienced the same when they were starting perimenopause.

Thanks.
I don't have answers, but I do have night sweats!  I am 24 years old and have been having night sweats days to a week before the start of my period for a couple of years now.  I am, and have been, on birth control (Nuva Ring) the entire time.  My doctor did not have any answers for me, either, but did not think that I am going through early menopause.  No tests have been done, though.  I want to investigate the reason behind these premenstrual night sweats; I'm sick of them!  A google search reveals only perimenopause or, as itwokemeup wrote, conditions such as HIV and TB!
I have the same thing happen to me. Mine started about 2yrs ago. I am now 38. My doctor told me i could be perimenopausal, although she said there is a test to do i have to have NOT had period in 6 months. Strange thing is I am on my third period in 30 days....Not any fun. ...This one is lasting longer than my usal 3-4 days, it is going on 9 days....

I gave up on my doctor for this and have scheduled an appt. with a gyno, but it is not until next month...
I'm 24 and started having this started in March (23 at the time), but I never thought anything about it so I ignored it and then I laid in bed one night and realized when and how often they were coming. A few days before my period and during my period then they quit until it's due again. I still have no answers to this. So if anyone finds out anything, please feel free to share!
Based on all the answers that I've read, it seems like night sweats are pretty common just before or during your period.  Each person starts at a different age and forget about the doctor, they have no clue on anything if you want answers...

Based on what I read on the internet, it seems that a drop in certain female hormones will trigger the night sweats. I used that as a sign to get ready for my monthly thing so if you are used to getting it but stopped, that could be a signal that your body is changing, either you're getting pregnant or a change of lifestyle can trigger the change.

Mine is really strange this month as I experienced the sweats a couple of nights ago and feeling really bloated but my period is running a week late.  Not pregnant as I've done the pregnancy test so not sure what is triggering it.
I am in my forties and have had this problem on and off since my late thirties. A couple things seem to help. First, change your diet a little as your period approaches and eat less red meat, dairy, sugar, chocolate and processed foods and try to eat more whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables and maybe even some foods with soy protein. Dairy and red meat contain hormones that can contribute to estrogen dominance causing hormonal balance. Make sure you drink plenty of water and exercise at this time. Another thing that helps is aloe vera juice taken orally from the health food store. Just as aloe vera gel is used topically for burns, the type you drink cools down the body and removes toxins and also helps the digestive track and is great for colon activity. A good one to try is Lily of the Valley. Just follow the dosage directions and store in the refrigerator. The taste is tolerable and it is also good for your skin. I also use all natural progesterone cream several days out of the month for hormonal support when my progesterone levels dip.
Thanks Stardust for all that great advice. Now that you mention it, I notice that if I drink a lot of water and do a lot of cardio exercise in particular before my period, the sweats are far less severe. I still get a bit damp, but not the drenching. I'll will certainly try Lily of the Valley. Do you drink it before your period or just on a regular basis? Also, I recently met with another gynecologist and she advised making an appt with a dermatologist and getting a scrip for Xyzal or Telfast or a topical cream that reduces the amount one sweats. Has anyone tried these? Xyzal and Telfast appear to be antihistamines. I'm not sure how these would work.
so glad I found this discussion! I am 38 and have suffered from night sweats for the past 4 years, 6-10 days before each period. It is a complete nightmare. I thought originally that I was menopausal or perimenopausal - my mother, maternal grandmother and great aunt all had menopause in early 30s. All docs (gyn clinic and menopause clinic) have no idea what the problem is. They all say I'm not menopausal (according to test), and I do still have very regular periods - but extremely heavy for 2 days then spotting for a week. I also have thrush for 6/7 day after each period - which also started with night sweats. does anyone ele have this problem? All the docs have said that I have a 'unique' set of symptoms - clearly this is not the case!
To me, with no medical training - it is clearly some sort of cyclic hormonal inbalance.
I have tried all solrts of meds (combined pills), however, they either make the sweats worse or move them to during my period! My last option is either they switch off my ovaries and give me HRT, or I try a low dose anti-depressant called Venlafaxine - which seems to help with bad PMS?
Has anyone tried either of these?
I have complete empathy with all of you guys suffering this - I wish someone could get to the bottom of it!

I have been having night sweats for a number if years now. I have pinned it down to just before my period...I really hate waking up in the middle of the night feeling completely drenched....it's like taking a shower with my clothes on. I will try the dietary advice above and see if that works...

I feel much more normal after reading all these posts!
This link takes you to a forum where this same question was posted and a Dr. answered the post.  Worth checking out..He says to have a couple blood tests done during the third day of menstration.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/511655
Finally, a doctor SAYS something about this. I've been to several who just said it was common and said to try the pill. THANK YOU for posting this. I'll call my doctor tomorrow.

I'm 24 and I have night sweats too, but only a few days out of the month. I've been charting my fertility (FAM)- taking the morning temps & checking the cervical fluids- I think my night sweats are related to when I ovulate! Ovulation causes a huge change in your hormones- last night I had all the fertile signs & had that monthly dull ache in my ovaries. In the morning, I woke up with soaked sheets.
I have this issue also. THis month it was really bad. I also noticed my period was a couple of days later. I had a 3 day timeframe where each time I would lay down to sleep I would wake up sweaty. went away when my period finally started. I do notice that working out really improves or even completely gets rid of the night sweats. from my googling I do believe somehow my liver is involved. as it controls menstruation and hormones. I think working out eases strain on the liver and allows for proper menstruation.
I had my tubes tied in 2000.  Prior to having them tied, I NEVER had menstrual cramps, night sweats or terrible mood swings.  I now have severe cramps, night sweats a few days before my period and one week of  " pure crazy emotional roller-coaster".  I'm a RN and have asked several docs that I work with about my problem and most have told me they have no clue what is going on.  I have also been to several GYN's and they all tell me that chances are it's from having my tubal ligation done.  I'm 37 now, but this has been going on for years.  I've actually considered having a tubal reversal just to get rid of the problems....but that is not a guarantee.  So, the answers I have found are this, it's nothing to be concerned about - there is no threat to your health, it may not be permanent if you have a reversal done, (if your tubes are tied) it may last for years, it's a hormone imbalance, and it *****!  If I find out anything more, I will be sure to post.  
My goodness. I know it sounds bad, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one.  I was going crazy.  I'm 43 years old and my night sweats start about a week before my period.  I had blood tests and am not premenopausal. As many people, when checking out the symptons on the internet, the first thing that pops up are all the sinister things and no doubt, freaks me out!!  Reading your posts has certainly put my mind more at ease.  Thanks Deni x
Hi, I have been diagnosed with a hormone imbalance, estrogen dominance, and have the same night sweats during ovulation and also just before my period, amongst other symptoms such as extreme tiredness, bloating, water retention, sensitivity - the list goes on! I am not producing enough progesterone to balance the estrogen increase in the cycle during ovulation. My doctor has put me on a low carbohydrate diet (no grains) and high "good fats" (fish, nuts, seeds) and high leafy greens diet as well as the use of progesterone cream to help balance out the estrgogen. There is a really good book about this called "What your doctor did not tell you about prememopause" by Dr John Lee, (don't worry this doesn't mean you are going into perimenopause), you can get it on Amazon. I hope this helps, I wanted to share this as I have bounced from dr to dr trying to fix this and I finally got lucky with a dr that understands womens hormones.
I had mild night sweats about a year ago when i first started taking the pill, and they were only light sweating on my chest and neck.  Eventually they stopped, but I just recently stopped the pill and last night I woke up drenched and cold.  I haven't had a period in over a year.  The sweats last night terrified me, because of course i did a google search, and now think I am doomed,  Could stopping the pill cause the drenching night sweats?
I HAVE THE SAME THING, I AM 34 YRS OLD.   FIND A BETTER GYNE THAT WILL SIT AND LISTEN WITH YOU.   YES, YOU ARE PREMENOPAUSAL.  EMBRACE IT AND MOVE ON, IT IS PART OF LIFE.  I KNOW THAT DURING THE DAY IF U FEEL A HEAT FLASH COMING ON, DRINK AS MUCH ICE COLD WATER AS FAST AS YOU CAN, AND THAT SEEMS TO HEAD IT OFF SOME.  AT NIGHT THOUGH, YOU ARE JUST SCREWED.   YOU CAN HAVE EXTRA JAMMIES READY, AND PAD THE BED WITH PUPPY PADS OR SOMETHING, HOWEVER, MY MD GAVE ME A ESTROGEN PATCH THAT I CAN APPLY THE WEEK BEFORE MY PERIOD IS TO START, AND THAT HELPS SOME.   HE SAID IT IS DUE TO THE SUDDEN DROP OFF OF ESTROGEN YOU GET PRIOR TO YOUR PERIOD.  IT MAKES SENSE.   OH, AND MOST OF THE TIME IF YOU HAVE THE MENOPAUSE TESTING DONE, IT DOESNT SHOW ANY THING BECAUSE, SOME TIMES DURING THIS STAGE, YOU HAVE NORMAL LEVELS AT TIMES.  THATS WHY YOU CAN STILL GET PREGNANT.
Hi. I am 19 years old and for the past year I have been getting night sweats a week or so before my period starts. I have read all the comments and it seems to be I am the youngest. If anyone knows anything, please comment back. Thank you
I read everyone's comments and just wanted to say I am having the same night sweats a week before my period. I started taking Yasmin three months ago after being switched off my old birth control. I notice the sweats happen one the two days when I start taking the white "sugar" pills. I am a 26 year old female with no other problems. I am certain the link is my hormones but changing clothes in the middle of the night from these sweats is annoying! I hope this helps someone and lets other women know your not alone in this! I also read the other comments about exercise and eating right and I do both and they don't help me.
I too am glad to have found everyones comments here because I have night sweats too (at 36) and you've comfirmed my thoughts that it's just hormonal changes. I've had mild period related night sweats since I was in my late teens for just the first one or two nights so I got used to it. (For me, it's not pill related as I've never been on it.) Then, right after giving birth (both times), for several weeks, they got really really bad. (So basically, with the leaky boobs and all I was a right sleepy wet mess!!) After some time, they got a bit better, maybe only two or three nights of it but for the last two periods it seems to be worse again. I guess I have always suspected it is strictly hormonal changes due to my patterns and the fact that my mother has had the same pattern all her life, and still now after menopause (which she went through late at 58?). I have not approached this with my dr as it has seemed 'normal' for me. Isn't it lovely to be a woman?
Hi there,
I am 42 years old and I have had night sweats a few days before my period for the last 20 years.  My mother also had these at the same time in her life.  I am otherwise healthy and have normal thyroid and hormone levels.  I have never found a doctor who can explain it, but I have always just associated it with the dropoff of estrogen before menstruating.  The diseases you see on the internet that are associated with night sweats are really scary, but my mom and I are very healthy and this is just seems to be a natural side effect of female hormones.  
Hi, i too am a pre-period night sweater. i went to a dr years ago for it and wasted money getting tests done and of course there was nothing wrong. When i was pregnant I think I had the sweats almost every night and as soon as she was out they stopped. I have just got my period back after 12 months and the sweats have started up again pre-period. So, there must be something hormonal going on. I don't think I am prememopausal as the sweats are only at night. The joy!! Good luck everyone
I'm 29 but have had night sweats every month 4-5 days before my period. This started years ago. I can't quite remember when but maybe when I was 18 or 19? I noticed that the sweating usually happens early in the morning opposed to right after I fall asleep. It's definitely hormonal but I haven't met anyone else with this problem. I hope that some of us are just more sensitive to hormonal changes and body temperature changes and that it's not a sign of something more serious down the road.
Thank you so much for your insight! I have been suffering from these night sweats for 11 years (I am 31 now) and have been tested for every disease imaginable including HIV and Hodgkins Lymphoma. Not one doctor was able to determine what was causing these night sweats. Not my gyno, general practitioner, nor my endocrinologist.
I forwarded the link to each physician I mentioned, because it seems about time that our doctors stopped shrugging their shoulders and giving us a pat on the back as we exit their office.
BRIEKITTY. I appreciate your thoughts, but peri/premenopause for this many women in their 20's and 30's may have already been a feature on 60 minutes by now. Not everyone is entering premenopause when suffering from night sweats before menstruation.
Ladies, keep the posts and ideas coming! Hopefully some smart women's health guru will shed more light and end our evenings of suffering.
Hey Girls, Thanks for all of the above comments and yes, we all seem to be in the same boat. I can only imagine that it's normal and that we can do something about it. I take aloe, I seem to want to work out just before my menstrual cycle, I stay away from sugars, caffeine (chocolate too), and drink tons more water. When I follow this game plan, the sweats are no more than a slight fever sweat and only come once maybe twice. Staying away from the sugars, including alcohol, keep the yeastie beaties from taking over and that goes for Thrush too as it is I believe the same type of yeast infection. The other thing I've added is Mild Thistle for the liver. It helps the liver process the toxins and for centuries has been something the monks have used to regenerate damaged livers. No scientific resources I can quote, just that it seems to work for me.
One thing I'll keep an eye on is if I get the night sweats when I ovulate. As I'd love to get pregnant, this would be an awesome way of knowing if I'm fertile.
For me, at 45 the night sweats have just started. Due to my age, the doctor says I'm peri menopausal, but my menses have only been regular these last 10 years due to being overly active and thin is what the doctor said. I'm in no way a dieter or have any other issues with food except the I get distracted easily and forget to eat...
Also, I've noticed with me and it was true for my Grandmother as well, that when I travel it's as if my menses takes a vacation as well. If I was due a couple of days before my trip, it would just stall until I got back home and two days after getting back home, whammo it would start. I just chalked it up to being like my grandmother and hopefully will go through menopause without any major issues as well... or I could hope.... My mother had a full hysterectomy at 38 after my sister was born, so no history to follow there as she was put on hormone treatments.
Anyway, thanks for this conversation. It gave me some sort of peace knowing that there is a reason to why I'm having these issues and why, without knowing it, sometimes they are better than worse because of what I do for myself.
I'm 35 and I just googled this subject.  I woke up to the feeling of sweat pouring off me last night.  This has been going on for about 6-7 months and I was really worried.  I'm on the pill and have been for years.  I just wondered if any if you other ladies have fibroids and if that could be a factor.
I am 25 years old and i have just started having severe night sweats before my period....it wakes me during the night and i have to change what im wearing and if im awake enough my duvet cover.ive also started becoming very hormonal for a whole week before my period which also never use to be that bad.i have no idea why this is , its never happend until now.Is it normal.hope someone can give me some advise on what i can do as it feels so horrible when it happens.
I have been suffering from these awful night sweat for a number of years, as I noted in my last post. After seeing a range of medical professionals and trying all sorts of pills etc - including anti depressants, around 6 months ago I was told that my last 2 options were - artificial menopause & HRT or full blown removal of ovaries / womb & HRT.....with no guarantee that either would work...! At 39, I was understandably quite distressed at the thought of either (and also worried that if currently have these sweats which are so 'unusual' - god knows what symptoms I might end up with going down these routes!!) I think that my specialist thought I was just being difficult when I told him I wouldn't consider these options. He then said that there was one other option (which he made clear he didn't really believe in) - progesterone pessaries. He said some medics thought that this hormone might be lacking in second half of cycle, and maybe this might help. Now, I am in no way medically trained, but I have always thought (and expressed to many doctors) that I must have a drop in some hormone or other on a cyclic basis. I have now been using these for around 3 months (day 14 - 28) - and imagine this.....my night sweats have dramatically reduced. They have not completely gone - but instead of 8-10 nights of terrible sweats - I now have maybe 2 bad nights and 3 or 4 nights where I sweat a little bit. What a difference after all these years! It is not perfect in any way, and my periods have become a little irregular - but it is so so much better.
I don't know if this is of help to anyone - but it may very well be worth a try. I don't have a return appoint for a few months - but I cannot at all understand why such highly trained medical specialists would suggest these major / life changing measures before trying out something so simple first?
Good luck to you all with this.
Hi there,
I am also a night-sweater. It is awful...I wake up drenched, cold and feeling very grubby!

I am strongly considering going to the doctors regarding my periods...regaring the night sweats, headaches and that the 'gap' between bleeding keeps varying too - this time my period appeared only 19 days after I finished the last one, grrrr :o(

I have terrible night-sweats around the time of my period, I wake up with headaches (my theory is these are either hormonal, or that the headaches are due to dehydration where I have sweated so much fluid out in the night) and my periods seem to be too frequent for my liking and also very heavy but can last between 3 or 7 days long....when theyre 7 days and heavy it leaves me sooo drained and exhausted.

Anyone else get the headaches? And does it sound normal to not even get a three-week gap between bleeding?

Gosh, being female ***** sometimes.....!
I am so glad I found this site, here is my sweaty story :-)
I am a 28 year old and since giving birth last November I have sufferd with really bad night sweats. Just 3 days after giving birth to my son these sweats started, after reading in a magazine and on Google that the major causes of night sweats was the menopause and Cancer!! I was totally freaked out and went to see my GP. They orderd me to have blood tests, when the results came back all was normal apart from my inflamation (inflammation) markers was a bit high, but the doctor assured me that could be down to any slight infection.
After a few months these sweats stopped and would only return a few days before my period was due. I have just last week been back to my doctor who really could not give me any insight on why this has happend, or what is causing these sweats. I am going next week for more blood tests to mae sure the infllamation markers have come down and that my Oestrogen levels are normal. I have regular light periods each month and until having my second child I had never had this problem before.

Reading this forum has really made me relax a bit, I am jst hoping all my bloods are normal :-).

I shall keep you all posted.
Hey all! So glad to find this list. I am 33 and have gotten night sweats a few nights before my period for years. I've also been tracking fertility and seem to be having the lutein hormone spike that signals ovulation, so am hoping it's not early onset menopause. Hoping to hear from some women's health experts.
I'm 34 and have had the night sweats for 5 years. 2 things changed 5 years ago: I got married, and, 5 months later, I had an ectopic pregnancy that required a laparoscopy and fallopian tube removal.

Since the surgery, the Mr and I both know when I'm going to get my period because of the excessive amount of heat and sweat radiating from my groin (lovely, eh?). It is severe enough to wake me and the Mr in the night, make him sleep in the guest room, and scare the living **** out of me.

This leads to fighting, misunderstanding and frustration for the Mr and myself. Lack of quality sleep and the inability to understand exactly WHY I -- and more importantly, why do I HAVE TO -- go through this, leads to psychological stress (demonstrated by rampant "Googling" of symptoms) and physical tension (back pain, shoulder tightness).

I have tried to get answers from GP's and GYN surgeons on the NHS (I'm in the UK), but none have been helpful in the slightest. I've kept a calendar of symptoms (night sweats is one of several PMS problems I've had, however night sweats is the most troubling for me), yet none even touched it, much less showed the slightest interest in reviewing it.

I am moving to a new country next year and will look into what options are available there. In 2009, almost 2010, its hard to understand why womens health is still such a mystery to the medical community.
I am stating nothing new, and in fact, you can probably guess!  I am 30 and have been having nightsweats from 1 week to a few days before my period.  Another thing I noticed is that these night sweats are starting around the same age!  It seems that they are starting in our mid twenties.  I wonder if it may have anything to do with body changes during this time of life.  I have no idea, but it sure is annoying.  Is anyone else having these nightsweats also on medication?  I also read that medications like antideppresants, cortisones (even otc meds like advil) can cause nightsweats.
I am 30 and I tooo have night sweats that started about 6 months to a year ago.  I had a chemical pregnancy last month and new something was wrong when I had a night sweat 5 days after my period was due (and had a confirmed positive HPT).  This night sweat meant my progesterone dropped and the pregnancy ended.  I immediately woke up and took another HPT and it was lighter than the night before- called the dr and bllod wk confirmed my hcg and progesterone #'s dropped.  SO....the sweats have to do with your progesterone level dropping which has to happen for your period to start as the drop in levels thin your uterine lining.  I don't have FSH (low egg reserve) or a progesterone issue...both have been tested serval times as we go though fertility treatments.  It has ALL to do with porgesterone dropping and estrogen increasing...Atleast now I know whether or not I'm pregnant- hope I don't sweat next month!!
I also have night sweats,just before I get my period,I am on anti depressants and therefore am sure it is a hormonal issue.It has been recommended to me to try drinking Estro tea by Lorna Vanderhaeghe,this is a raspberry herbal tea,that is for hormonal help it's says it's for effortless periods Reduces heavy bleeding halts pms and protects breasts and cervix,the lady at the health food store figures it should help with the night sweats,so I'll give it a try,here's hoping,check it out at www.hormonehelp.com I have only had too cups so far,so I can't say if it helps yet or not. I did notice though that you can buy raspberry leaf tea in the organic section in the Real Canadian Superstore too,I'm sure it would do the same thing and is $5.99 instead of the $7+ dollars at the health food store.Good luck everyone:)
Get this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the same symptoms at age 33: sweats the few days before my period, and also when I ovulate. I have been also suffering from the "blues" many days out of the last 14 days of my cycle (approximately, as in the past couple of years it has been somewhat irregular). I'm in good shape, eat very well, and yet got all these symptoms.

I've seen countless doctors. I took the pill for 10 years from age 16 to 26 approx. I always felt "better" when I was off the pill, so a few years ago I decided to stop for good. I got an IUD without hormones, but the very competent doctor who installed it perforated my uterus, which lead to me getting a massive case of pelvic inflammation that lasted 3 years (in fact, it was just building up in there without any symptoms as I never "realized" I was injured). When I suddenly started to get symptoms, they had to operate immediately and I was told by the gyne-surgeon who operated I was sterile because of water in my tubes which rendered them useless according to the gyne. I was 29.

Of course, two years after at 31 I got pregnant (wasn't using protection since doc said I was sterile). I had to get an abortion for risk of ectopic pregnancy (you should have seen the state I was in).

Since all these things happened, I have cysts in my breasts (benign) and on my ovaries (benign as well) and a small fibroid. But according to doctors, that was absolutely unrelated! I couldn't believe it.

Now at 33 things were getting out of hand the past year with bouts of depression, insomnia, night sweats, bloating, etc. My cycle had always been 28, but more recently I'm 33, 36, 31... I have been fighting to get answers from countless doctors and never get anything out of my visits. I decided to go on a website of someone who actually listens, Dr Ben Kim (just google him). You can't email him but his blogs give great sensible advice on all health matters.

He recommended a book, which I got off Amazon. I URGE YOU ALL TO READ:

"WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT PREMENOPAUSE" by Dr John Lee. (there is also one for Menopause).

This book answered ALL my questions, explained everything from tender breasts to night sweats to mood swings, fibroids, polycystic ovaries, etc. and THEIR CAUSES. Proper answers, not your doctor's "it's probably just hormones" answer.

In my case (and maybe yours?): xenoestrogens or estrogen dominance. Look it up on Google. I'm 99% sure of it. I'm not menopausal. I'm just aging, and my environment and habits are just making the process faster and worse.

Doctors will put you on the pill, on HRT or on progestins or estrogen patches when it's the last thing they should do.

I followed the books' advice and I saw a huge difference after 2 WEEKS. I started taking a couple of natural supplements and vitamins from a regular drugstore. I ordered natural progesterone cream online and didn't even have to use it yet, the natural supplements seem to work wonders for me.

Keeping a journal makes it easier as well to know what is going on. I can now tell when I'm likely to have symptoms. I'm more in control now than I've ever been on the pill.

As Dr Lee says, our 30's and 40's are an age at which we are at heightened sensitivity. We are supposed to embrace this, not cover it up with pills and prozac. I hope this helps.

I too get them!  I am 40 and began getting them just after my 9 year old daughter was born. Hormones were tested, no problems. Saw an internist who saliva tested my hormones. Progesterone was low. Been on bio identical for about 5 months. No change : (.    I am sorry all of you have to deal withthis too. But I must say it is nice not to feel alone.  Especially when your spouse and the medical community just stare at you open jawed!  
I too have been experiencing night sweats around my chest and neck area for about 2 years. I wake up cold in the night as my PJs are damp. Certain times of the month are worse than others.

I don't even feel hot to touch so I knew something wasn't right. What makes it worse is that the sweat smells really rancid, almost like urine! I have been on the pill for 10 years.  I read up on various websites about night sweating and it mentioned all sorts of things about early menopause, which was very worrying seeing as I'm only just 30 with no kids yet.

I decided to come off the pill 6 months ago and almost straight away, the sweating stopped. I thought I'd try going back on the same pill, give it one more try now that the sweats had gone, and guess what? The sweating came back straight away!

At least I know my night sweats (and low sex-drive) are 100% down to the pill I was taking.
I am a very healthy 37 year old female.  I jus stated getting night sweats about 2 months ago, usually 4 days in a row before my period.  I've just a physical exam and my thyroid test came back normal.  I eat healthy, excercise 3x/week.  I don't eat much sugar, or sweat. I drink soymilk or make protein shakes using soymilk.  I don't drink alcohol so I am not sure what my problem might be.  My period has been extremely regular for years, although on the light side but for the past 4 months, it's MUCH lighter and only lasts for 2-3 days.  It also went from a 31 day cycle to a 25 day cycle now.  I hope I am still fertile.  Had an abortion at young age and want to get pregnant soon.  If anyone knows anything, please respond to this.  In the mean time, I am going to order that book from Dr. John Lee.  Thanks you guys.
I am glad i found this page!!! i am 29 and had my second bout of night sweats last week... my first round was about 4 months ago and i went t omy doctor who just gave me general blood tests and told me "it could be a virus" and sent me on my way... I put two and two together myself this time... My instincts told me it was hormonal, although i blamed it on the fact that my Implanon was due to be changed... i had it removed and didn't have the sweats again, until last week.  i think I might get another implanon and see if that stops them coming back!!! You have no idea how good it is to read that so many women of so many different ages are going through the same thing... I'm not a freak!!! :o)
Hello Ladies,

I have been dealing with night sweats for a little over 2 years now.  I am 32 years old.  I get night sweats every few months for 5-14 straight nights.  My night sweats are cyclic.  That had me worried, because that is a sign of some cancers.  I feel drained and tired during the week or two that I experience the night sweats.

I have been tested for TB and HIV.  Both tests came back negative. I have had so many scans and other tests that have come back negative.  I was on a mission to find out what was wrong with me, seeing almost every type of doctor, from OBGYNs, Infectious Disease Doctors, Hemotologists/Oncologists, Gastrologists and more.

I have been to my OBGYN several times.  He repeats himself every time, telling me that our bodies are dynamic and always changing.  I feel better after reading this post and finding out that I am not the only one with this problem.  

Please come back with any updates that you may have. Thanks!
I am a 39 yr old woman and I have premenstrual night sweats about the four nights in a row before my period.  Sleeping is next to impossible because of sensation of sweat coming off my body was constant and I have to change my pjs 2x a night.  I recently tried 2 kinds of tea to help balance my hormones. Both are Yogi brand "Womens Moon Cycle" and "Womens Energy" they both claim they help balance female hormones.  After 1 day of drinking the recommended 4-5 cups I started my period a week early. I stopped the tea and my period stopped. Has anyone else had this crazy experience?
Wow, this is great that I found this page. I was starting to think I was going crazy,but thank goodness i'm not. I have been having night sweats now for about 6 months and have been having really bad cramps and alot of clotting during my period. My cycle has been lasting only about 3-4 days which is out of the normal 6-7 days. I work for a doctor's office and have spoken with one of my providers, and was told that I am not to young to be starting menopause. I have read alot up on this and it concerns me. I don't like the whole part of waking up in the middle of the night dripping with sweat and having to change cloths. My provider is testing me on my Estrogen Levels and My FSH, I will let everyone know what I find out.
Hi all.  I am a 50 yr old woman who has had night sweats off and on since around 30. I eat healthy and excercise.  I still have my period.  My 3 daughters all in their 20's have night sweats before their period.  All doctors we have spoken with couldn't give us answers, so we just deal with it.  It's good to know that we are not the only ones, and it's "normal" for us.
I am 38 with two kids.  For the past few years, I have severe night sweats about every other month.  I have to change at least twice during the night and my kids ask me if I wet the bed!
Last month, my period lasted for almost two weeks! Instead of getting my period every 28 days, they are now more like 31-2 days.
I had a tubal ligation 3 1/2 years ago and unexpectedly got pregnant last year ending in an ectopic pregnancy.
My periods can be very heavy.
I feel like I have PMS symptoms 365 days of the year!
I am thinking of just getting my uterus removed!
I am 36 and I might have had night sweats and hot flashes before, but I only started noticing them recently. In my case, I noticed that I get them, like many of the cases above, before my period. Hot flashes according to many websites are associated with fluctuating hormone levels and towards womens' period a hormonal change occurs as estrogen levels are at their lowest. Hormonal changes also take place towards menopause. In other words, hot flashes happen to all women, but vary in number and intensity as we approach menaupose. I am qouting Wikipedia for more information below. If you want to read more, please go to the website cited at the end.

"Hot flashes (also known as hot flushes, or night sweats if they happen at night) are a symptom of the changing hormone levels that are considered to be characteristic of menopause.[1]"

"Younger women who are menstruating or expecting to menstruate soon (the premenstrual period typically lasts one week) may encounter hot and/or cold flashes. These episodes do not usually last long, with feelings of cold and heat alternating over the course of as short as a minute. Hot and cold flashes for younger women tend to occur only during times of menstruation or pre-menstruation (when estrogen is typically lowest). If they occur at other times in a young woman's menstrual cycle, then it might be a symptom of a problem with her pituitary gland; seeing a doctor is highly recommended. In younger women who are surgically menopausal, hot flashes are generally more intense than in older women, and they may last until natural age at menopause.[5]"

Source: Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_flash

well if i have learned anything from all your conversations, it's NOT to spend the extra co-pay on a gyn who is going to tell my it's just hormones. i'm going to try to buy the book the one lady mentioned by dr lee and see what he has to say. a 15 dollar books beats a 40 dollar copay and whatever else the quack might try do. thanks ladies for letting me know i'm not a freak. i mean it when i finally get to heaven, if i have any say in it, i'm going to knock eve's lights out!!!
I am 35 years old and have experienced night sweats before my period for several years.  However, until the last year or so, they were relatively mild.  Now, like several other posters have commented, they are so severe that the sheets are soaked through and smell kind of gross.  I had mentioned this to my doctor, but since it had been relatively mild, I didn't really press the subject when he told me that "lots of women your age experience this, but no one really knows why."

Anyway as the night sweats got worse, so did other premenstrual symptoms -- depression, anxiety, headaches (I started to suffer migraines).  I talked to my doctor again after a particularly bad bout in early February, and he thought the extremity of the night sweats might be related to PMDD, so we are going to try YAZ and see if that has any effect.  My sister had good luck with Yasmin for PCOD, so I'm hoping to see some improvement.  He also mentioned cutting back on sugar, chocolate, caffeine, and red meat -- especially leading up to my period.  I actually eat pretty well and exercise regularly, but I'm thinking about trying a gentle cleanse like Colonix to see if that will help, as well.

I'll let everybody know if there are any positive effects!
I didn't realize how common night sweats are before your period. I am only 24 and feel like I am going through menopause or something. I used to get night sweats when I was going on or coming off antidepressants. But now, I am not on anything and I get the night sweats during my period and right before my period. Thinking about going to the GYNO if it keeps happening. Please post if anyone gets any answers on this.
Thank you!
Ok - I don't feel like a freak after reading this.  I am 32 and have had extreme night sweats for a year now.  I had a baby 10 months ago and my GYN told me it was from giving birth.  My reg Dr did a TB test and it was negative.  I can't even get back into bed at night because my sheets are soaked.  I have to change my shirt at least once during the night.  So frustrating...thought I was alone.  Guess Not!
I have exactly the same thing. About two or three nights before my period I have night sweats and wake up soaked through. I am 38 and have had this for about five years now. Can anyone tell me what it is?
I am 30 years old.  I have been having night sweats (completely drenched) for the past 2-3 years about a few days to a week prior to menstruation.  My Doctor suggested that it had nothing to do with my cycle, but it only happens around that time of the month.  I am so relieved that I am not the only one.  I thought I was going into early menopause, but recent hormonal bloodwork indicates that I am ok.  I was horrified at the thought of menopause because I want children someday.  I think more research is needed in this area...I am so tired of Doctors not having any concrete evidence to back up these experiences.  Therefore I (we women) are left alone to cope with these experiences.
I am 30 and have also started experiencing the sweats.  My Dr. said the sweats are normal....and more likely then not are not from early menopause.  Just a PMS symptom.  And from all the posts more then a few have had children before during or after starting to have these symptoms so doesn't seem to affect fertility!!   Night sweats at night only are much different then hotflashes  during the day.....per my Dr.
Hope this helps too!!
I'm so glad I found this! I'm 26, and for the past year I've been getting soak-the-sheets night sweats several days before my period. I even had my thyroid checked, which was fine. I'm just really glad I'm not alone!
A CHANGED DIET WORKS!  My night sweats started about 3 years ago (age 39).  I then went gluten-free/ sugar free (including alcohol) last summer and it totally eliminated the night sweats.  I was also juicing veggies (celery, cucumber, parsley and a bit of carrot, since carrots can be very sugary).  Then I went back to eating gluten, sugar and stopped juicing.  YUP!  The night sweats came back!   Had 'em last night and I am exhausted today.  I am going back to my diet I had last summer!
I am 26 and have been experiencing night sweats on and off since I was 22 years old. They coincide directly with my period, usually occurring a 1-10 days before my period begins. Initially I thought that it had something to do with my birth control but I have been off the pill for over one year now and continue to have these "episodes". Lately I have noticed that regular exercise, sleep, and changing my diet to include more fruit and vegetables has helped a lot. Also decreasing my caffeine intake has helped significantly with the night sweats as well as breast tenderness prior to menstruation.
i have suffered from drenching night sweats for a few years now. i just turned 36 and have a 2 years old.

i never related it to my period cycle but i will now start keping track. I can say that my night sweats certainly continue on into my period  almost through it, even if it does start in advance.\\

I think the pattern here from the comments above is that all ages get them, from 19 up and our hormonal cycles are the cause...

will try the tea suggested by someone earlier...
Well reading this site and many other it seems that most are within normal menstrual (non pre-mentral) and healthy and those who have tested there hormones and thyroid have normal results. I am the same sweats just before or during period, especialy around neck chest.

It is clear the medics have no clue but I think I am going to assume it is hormonal fluctuations and just change the sheets and clotes and carry on.

Best wishes to me swettie friends.
I started getting night sweats in my mid 30's, always before or during a period, never at other times. I was tested for Lymphoma. TB, everything negative.
I fasted on juices, I drank water, water, water, I ate only fruit vegetables and lean white meat, I tried going the other way and having a glass of wine before bed....thought I'd try everything. It made no difference if I drank caffeine, or didn't drink caffeine.....ate chocolates or didn't eat chocolates!
OK nothing worked. My body was determined to sweat, and sweat it did. I was always washing clothes, washing my hair, washing bedding.
The sweats always came on in the 2nd half of the night (early morning) And I was not too hot when they happened. They seemed to happen sometimes if I didn't wear enough in bed and it was a cold night! (go figure THAT one out!)
Strangely enough I got fewer of these night sweats at menopause !! Oh yes I got the hot flashes about 7 or 8 of them a day. But weirdly, at night I was mostly dry. (That's when I slept! As I did get a sleep-disturbance problem then too!)
But AFTER menopause was all finished and done with, then sometimes very rarely, I'd get a few days night sweats again. I got 3 nights of it this week. After not having any for about 2 years!
Sage tea will stop it happening most often. But I wasn't sure I wanted to stop a thing which was happening as the body does often know what it needs....the sweats might be for a reason...or am I being sentimental about Mother Nature??
Hi everyone,
well same story for me! I am 34 yrs old, have regular periods, they range from 30-33 days in my cycle.  I had a termination 3 yrs ago but no other hx of note.  For the past year or so I have been getting night sweats.  They started not long after I was commenced on fluoxetine (prozac) for depression.  I know that increased sweating is a side effect.  I didnt notice a pattern at first, but the sweats are evident for a few days before my period and for a few days into my period.  I have to change my nightwear about 3 times a night andI sweat all over.  I never sweat this much even at the gym or laying inthe sun.  The night sweats, I sweat all down my front, my back, my neck, between my legs, all down my legs - it's horrible!  I have read lots of different suggestions ranging from symptoms of perimenopause or just PMT.  I have no children but would dearly love to have some but do not have a partner - small problem! I was just wondering if anyone has experienced these pre period night sweats at a young is age but then gone on to have children; also when their menopause actually was.  
I mentioned mhy concerns to my GP a few months ago but she said as long as I was having regular periods it was fine.  They did bloods to check for any abnormalities  - just standard bloods, not ones for hormones or fertility - and they were fine.  Going back to GP tomorrow so will maybe mention it again.  Wish I knew my age span to have children so I could plan if MR Right doesnt show up!!

Any info gratefully received!

Gillian
I am 39 years old and have been having night sweats for about a year, a week before my period like everyone else.  During this time, I also walk and talk in my sleep.  On the first day or two of my period I get headache - this started about the same time as the night sweats.  Vaginal dryness just started a few months ago.

In January I was diagnosed with a dairy allergy and gluten intolerence.  Even though I have removed these from my diet, I still experience the night sweats.  Yay me!  lol  

My periods are regular and I have been on the pill for about 7 years.  

I recently read about a birth control pill that has 3 days of sugar pills rather than 7.  This is supposed to reduce the time your body has a drop in estrogen.  It is supposed to help with the headaches, so maybe it will help with the night sweats as well.  Just something to think about if you are already on the pill!  :)

Christi
I am 43 i have been having nights sweats/chills for the last 16 years.  When it first started it was everynight for about a year.  My gynecologist tested my thyroids.   I have hypothyroidism, once i started taking the medicine, my night sweats/chills went away for a while.  They are now back like most of you  6-10 days before my cycle and a few days into the cycle.  Atleast try getting your doctor to check your thyroids, may be some of your problems.  
I am so happy I saw this post.  I told my doctor about this when I was in my 20's.  I am now 50 and still have the same problem. My first doctor told me it was because I lived in Florida and just looked at me like I was nuts.  I was always very healthy and worked out a lot. This makes me feel better knowing I am not alone.
yep, another sweater here.  been happening to me for past 3 years. I'm 31 years old so I'm hoping it's not menopause yet.  I wake up literally drenched in sweat from head to toe and it is exhausting.  it usually last about 3-5 days starting a couple of days before my period and lasting a couple of days into it.  

i end up with wet sheets and it's a horrible feeling and also quite embarrassing.  

i'm glad to know i'm not alone in this and that it's most likely not some fatal disease but rather hormonal.  any other tips people have would be great to hear about.  
Glad I found this and I am not alone! I am 33 yrs old and I was on the pill for almost 15 years until I stopped over a year ago. That is when the night sweats started. They seem to happen in the 2nd part of the night and will happen a week before or during my period. This last time was a nightmare since I was sick with the cold/flu and had a fever. Every night I woke up soaking wet and cold! Ever since I stopped the pill my PMS has become quite unbearable at times and my immune system has also taken a hit. I plan to go to the OB and get a full blood panel that will check everything from my vitamin levels, white blood cell count, etc. I already had my thyroid and cholesterol checked. I also was afraid that I was pre-menopausal but I get my period every 25 days or so and its normal. This waking up soaking wet though is so awful, glad to see that I am not alone though and maybe its more normal that I thought. :)
I am 42 and been having night sweats a few days to a week before my period for about 20 years.... so I doubt very, very much that this is premenapausal..... especially as I had no problem conceiving at age 36 and 38 !  So for any of you ladies, or girls for that matter, worried out there about starting 'the change' very early, do not jump to conclusions.  I once mentioned it in passing to my GP along with my other 'weird' premenstrual symptom of total alcohol intollerance (this starts just before or about the same time as the premenstrual sweats by the way) ....she said these syptoms (symptoms) were not common but they were perfectly normal and absolutely nothing to worry about.  Anyone else have the alcohol intollerance aswell ?... and I mean hangover after literally two drinks!
I am so happy I found this post....I think I might be more "normal" than I thought...atleast in that way. I am 37 and have been having night sweats for a couple years. Worried sick, losing a mother and a friend to cancer during these last two years, I had been to a docter and have done research on night sweats.  Night sweats usually leads you to menopause and lymphoma...holy crap! Not old enough for menopause I started searching the other with disbelief. With no insurance I started to research my behavior. Soon to realize there was a pattern...kinda since I am irregular....of diarrhea, vomitting and night sweats. I figured I could stop worrying and start to get to know myself....finally. Today I have changed my diet, started a calendar and look forward to my period for the great cleanse that is too happen.  I am now close to vegetarian with exception of fish and eggs, no dairy no meat/poultry, and most of all no wheat or flour products...only whole grain (barley, kamut...). I have one night a month approx. now that I get a little itchy hot but I havent had a wring out night sweat for 7 months now.
Im so glad that I've found out that this happens to others too.  As with a lot of posts, I've been fobbed off by my GP when I've mentioned it happens around the time of my period.

Mine started several years ago now whilst I was taking an antidepressant medication.  I thought they would go away when I stopped taking it but they never did.

I was wondering if anyone else here has noticed or has a link with their night sweats to antidepressant medication?
I've been having night sweats for several years.  I'm 38, no kids, not on birth control.  I also take an antidepressant.  I have always blamed it on that, but since I started tracking my cycle more closely, it seems to be more related to hormones.  I have not talked to my gyn about it primarily b/c I'm a medical provider myself.  I am by no means a 'hormonal specialist', but I have no interest in spending tons of insurance $$ on lab work and specialists to arrive at the same answers that all the previous ladies have posted! :-)  On the flip side, I regularly get tested for TB and donate blood (so HIV is ruled out). Thyroid levels are normal.  Blood counts are normal.  My vitamin D level tends toward critically low (I work in the OR and am not exposed to sunlight on a daily basis).  That is a never-ending battle.

Last night was a bad night for me.  One of the worst yet.  I woke up freezing added new pjs and then woke up soaked again.  I had extremely vivid, crazy dreams.  This morning I'm just exhausted.  When referring to my 'girl calendar'... I'm ovulating.  I have not paid enough attention to notice if my sweats also occur before my period.  They've been happening for so long that I just roll with it.  I definitely will now!

Thanks ladies for sharing all your stories!  I needed the affirmation this morning that I'm not alone & not going crazy! Hehe  Yes... being a female is tough. ;-)

I too have been doing research - it does seem as though the night sweats (or even cold sweats) are caused by hormonal levels - prior to one's period.  We know this continues throughout menopause but from what I have read, the sweats are caused by hormonal levels prior to and at times during menstruation before menopause.  It ***** ladies, as if we don't have enough to deal with during PMS.  Next life, I am coming back a man!!  Hang in girls, we're not alone and we're not crazy.
I'm so glad I found this!  I'm 28, and have just started experiencing night sweats before my period a couple of months ago.  For me this was especially scary, as I experienced excessive night sweats at age 20 and it was a symptom of cancer (Hodgkin's Disease).  I follow up in an oncology clinic for long term survivors of cancer, and brought it up at my appointment there last month.  My oncology nurse practitioner asked if they were before/during my period (which I hadn't put together yet), and told me to chart them.  She also told me to make an appointment with an oncology OB/GYN, as the chemotherapy and radiation I received 8 years ago could effect my fertility.  She did say that my eggs could be getting prematurely old.  Maybe this is a little different for me than the rest of you ladies because I had cancer treatment?  I hope not.  I would like to be able to have children.  
She did tell me that she experienced this in her 20s as well (and had not had cancer herself), and she noticed it was worse if she had a glass of wine or really heavy dinner.  So those are some relatively simple changes to make.  

I thought I would also tell you the differences of cancer-related night sweats and hormonal related night sweats for me, as it might ease somebody's fears.  (And I'm lucky enough to have both and can compare!)  The biggest distinction is that the hormonal night sweats only occur before or during my period.  There were other differences too.  For instance, I'm noticing that the hormonal night sweats only seem to occur 1-2 times per night for me.  With the Hodgkin's sweats I was changing my clothes and bedding 4-5 times per night.  I still need to change my clothes and bedding now, but it is far less frequent each night.  The other thing is that with cancer, they were constant (I think maybe about a month every single night).  Also, the night sweats weren't the only symptom of the cancer (itchiness and unexplained weight loss are also common symptoms).  
Something like this has been happening to me basically since I hit puberty (I'm 27 now).  I sometimes wake up either drenched in sweat or having a really severe hot flash.  This is usually accompanied by a sense of urgency like I really need to evacuate my bowels.  Often, I also feel like I'm right about to throw up, and this goes away with peptobismol, or on its own as I cool off.  If I throw off all my blankets or jump in a cold shower, then I start shivering uncontrollably.

Some years ago, I realized this tends to happen before my period (nine times out of ten, and more likely the closer I am to it).  It doesn't happen every month or every night--but it sure is uncomfortable when it does.  It happens within the first four hours of sleep, mostly within the first two.  I just assumed it had something to do with a hormone crash; possibly your body can't regulate it the same way when you're asleep (it's never happened to me when I was awake).

I haven't found anything like this on the internet, and all searches I have ever conducted tell me I'm about to die.  That makes me laugh.  Just shows how little medical science still knows about the human body!
I just started  last to have the same problem, I am 47 years old, and my symptoms are so weird, one month i  will have tender breasts, and next month i will be bloated, and the following month cold nightsweats with chills a week of so before my period starts! then the cycle repeats it self all over again! it is awful, i see now that i am not alone in this!
Isn't it UNBELIEVABLE that in this day and age we suffer like this without ANY help whatsoever from the medical profession??.......I honestly don't think this 'condition' would be dismissed so regularly if it happened to men??!! I too am a 39 year old women suffering from severe night sweats (drenching I feel is a better term!) I don't seem to have any pattern, except they are always accompanied by headaches & tiredness. I have regular, light periods but I have been on the pill on/off for over 20 years. I feel so unwell so much of the time and I think it's such a shame women have to suffer for so much of their lives without sympathy or understanding (except from each other!) I will definitely look at the book recommended above. At least forums such as these let us know we are not alone.
hi,
so relieved to have found this site.
as i speak..its 3.30am, have just suffered most of the night with the sweats, hot and cold then the shivers.wake up totally drenched, all over my body, its feels horrible.i have tried laying on towels, and have an extra one at the side of my bed to keep drying myself off, when i lay on my sheets and cover myself with the duvet i seem to sweat worse(my sheets are 100% cotton and threadcounted!!!i wouldnt dare lay on sythetic!!).
it always happens 2/3 days before my period is due, then stops when i start my period..i dread the time of month.i bleed heavy for 2/3 days, then hardly any blood at all.then after 7 days of spotting,i sometimes get another bout of bleeding with lots of clots, and like fiberous stuff coming out(very dark, almost brown blood..it looks like old blood).bloating is ridiculous, i get spots as well, and terrible moods.
i am 37, have had no children, and fit and healthy, keep fit and do lots of running i sweat tonnes when i excercise, and this still has not eased the sweats.i, am not on any kind of contraception.i try to eat well..most of the time..and odd cake at the weekend ha ha.i also, like a few ladies, am getting alcohol intolerance too, two glasses of wine, and i feel hungover and start getting depressed, so have stopped it.
have been to gynacologist with heavy periods before, and lots of pain(i have to take mnenferic acid every month to cope with the cramps)have had all sorts of hormonal tests etc.all negative.all they suggest is putting me on the pill or putting an interuterine device in, which i dont want to do..its like they are just trying to mask symtoms (symptoms)..i want to know the reason why i am getting this, not cover it up.
the doctors for most part, are useless here as well, i am in the uk.i am sure if a man were suffering from this crap every month, we would have had a cure years ago!!we are fobbed of and just expected to suffer with this, its just not good enough.
i totally sympathise with you all out there, any tips..or cures!!!please post,
from a grumpy, sweaty 37 year old!!!
What a relief to find this site! I turned 40 in October and noticed for the past few months the night sweats just before my period. Last night was particularly bad and changed twice! I also slept terribly. Low and behold my period came this morning. It seems my periods are down to 21 days or so, bummer. I really appreciated reading all of these posts and am relieved to not be the only one. It is so interesting to see how it affects so many of us at all different ages. It kills me that there is no decent answer to this issue. I would just love for a man to a) get a period. b) give birth and c) get night sweats. If they did, you can bet your a$% that there would be a miracle cure!
Wow I am cranky!
Thanks again for all of the wonderful hints and info ladies.
I'm 40 and have had the night sweats before my period for  a couple of years or so. I didn't think about it much and thought it was normal for all the hormonal fluctuation before period. This month I had the night sweats but I'm late in my period and the night sweats and all the sign of starting my period are gone and I'm puzzled. It happened right after I went to swimming pool right at the time that my period was going to happen or I was expecting it to happen and it's made me worried and anxious. Does anyone have any clue please let me know.
I too get night sweatsa week before my period. It seems that its my upper part of my body that sweats the most. I also get hot flashes during the day..then the chills.. very bloated. And period is coming earlier than usual. I am 47 and can say I have been likje these night sweats for 15 yrs now and greying worse. I was told perimenopause as well. I even get lightheaded dizziness right before period.
o! thanks god i'm not alone..I'm 40..about 1.5 ago started sweating heavily for 2-3 days before period..not always but somethimes..waking up soaking wet pillows (i changed them already)..hair is wet..hot..PMS very regular and on-time..too early for menapause..and every one i know is complaining about the same problem inckuding my mail friend.I start to think it's something global...maybe climate change..maybe ET's doing something to us..At least I'm not alone, thanks God I found this site..i'm going to see my doctor to check it out..i know now what test to expect...
I am 31 and also suffer from night sweats and have been for about a year or 2 now. They usually start 1-2 weeks before mmy period starts.  I was at the docs today for another reason but thought i would mention this as it happened last night.  When it does happen, in the morning i feel really sick and headachy - does anyone else feel like that?
The doctor said that when we ovulate our hormone levels go up dramatically and ovulating is a big process for our body? She also mentioned that it means Im very fertile! lol! She said she doesn't know how long i would be like this for - could be forever!!!!! or might not!
Hope this helps, it wont make them stop but its a bit of an explanation.
Oh thank goodness I found this site!!  I am 37 years old and I woke up last night for the very first time with the hair around my neck feeling damp and sweaty and didn't know what to think of it.  My pre-menstrual symptoms of tenderness and bloating started two weeks ago and last night the sweats and today, still no period.

I am going to keep monitoring this site for all the info I have and thank you so much for sharing your stories!!  I'm sorry it's so difficult but I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone!!
I get them as well. It is worse when I take epsom salt baths or eat a lot of garlic or onions.

I use iodine regular and that seems to help cut it out. I put iodine on my wrists about every other day. or I take a vitamin that has the iodine in it. the only time it does not help is when I eat too much of garlic or onions or do the epsom salt baths.

For me I think it is a mild infection someplace in my body. the garlic and onions act as a natural antibiotic of sorts.
The epsom salts open up the pores and really make you sweat out poisons from the body. so when I take the baths close to my period I end up getting the night sweats.

Wow! I can't believe how many people experience this. When I first posted this question, gosh, almost 3 years ago (!), I truly thought I was the only one to experience this. It's shocking that the medical community just ignores this. Since I posted, I haven't been cured. I've had a month here or there when I didn't sweat, but that's about it. In fact, I've gotten worse where now I seem to sweat most of the month instead of right before my period. I went to my doctor a couple weeks ago since this is a new development and had a bunch of tests. Nothing is wrong with me. It was just again dismissed as somethign normal and just something to deal with. It's so frustrating. I've found that *sometimes* doing a lot of cardio exercise lessens it. I've found that *sometimes* eating a low sodium diet helps too. But nothing has consistently helped.

Oy. I guess for now, knowing that I'm not the only one will help me keep researching a solution. One that lasts!
Hello, I am 43 and started getting night sweats a few years ago when breastfeeding my first child.  I had to change clothes completely 3 or more times in addition to sleeping on towels.  My mid-wife had never had this with another mother so of course I was concerned.  Has anyone else had this?

It stopped after I quit breastfeeding until the second child and same thing.  After the second, the sweats decreased to just a few nights before my period but the mood swings were still in full force.  Although no doctor will say that this is for certain, it has to be an incredible hormonal imbalance and I have insisted that they let me try a low dose pill.  It has definitely cut the mood swings down tremendously.  Also, the more stuff I cut out of my diet -- especially sugars like wine!-- the better I feel and less I sweat.

Good luck everyone!
I am glad to know I am not alone.  I wake up feeling like I was in the ocean all night and that my bed is a live waterbed!!! I thought something was wrong with me as I get them days before my cycle too and it started almost four years ago.  Recently I was diagnosed with hypherthyroid (overactive) issues and they said they felt it was related but once I was treated and became hypothyroid (underactive), the night sweats stopped for two months and then it started again consistently so I am very confused.  I really think it is hormonal imbalance because nobody can figure it out and it is more common than I thought.  I used to exercise regularly and when I did, I remember not having them so I will try that again and change my diet.  If you find answers, please let me know as this is the most annoying thing ever!!!!
Hello all-
I have been having night sweats before my period for the past couple of years and it had gotten worse in the last 6 months.  I am glad that there are others who can relate.  I am posting after months of research, documenting, and suffering because I have finally started to get answers.

First and foremost: LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND GET SOME TESTS DONE!  It will be the best thing you can do for yourself.  I am 29 years old and have been told by my husband, mom, numerous doctors that I am too young to have hormone problems.  I have thyroid problems so they assumed it was thyroid problems even though I have been taking medication for it.  After pushing and pushing for bloodwork to be done, my doctor finally relented.  It turns out that my estrogen levels are very low.  

I am not sure if I am perimenopausal at 29 (I certainly hope not since we want to have children!)  I am in the process of making an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist to figure out what exactly is causing my low estrogen levels.  

so PLEASE, don't assume it is nothing and get yourself checked out.  I am so glad that I trusted my intuition and followed through with bloodwork.  At least now I know and can start to do something more about it...other than changing nightgowns and my bedsheets!

Good luck to all!  
I had my tubes tied 3 years ago and ever since, I sweat a week before my period and the week of my period.  Soooo very much where even my hands are wrinkly when I wake up because they were resting on my stomach or some part of me that was drenched wet.  I'm really sick of doing laundry.  Doctor did blood work etc and said its just hormones, not menopause or pre-menopause.  I just started the pill, the doctor said it will take the sweats away since the sweating is due to the hormone level dropping after ovluation but on the pill you don't ovulate.  So frustrating!
I am 32 years old and I also suffer with night sweats. Mine has been going on for several years and while my Dr. thought initially I was pre-menopausal he did some thyroid tests and my levels were off. Unfortunately, recently the sweating has gotten worse and I wake up drenched, and completely exhausted! I am going to start keeping a record because mine seems so sparatic that it's not just right before my period, and it is becoming more frequent and more intense. I hate going to the Dr. because they treat you like you don't know what you are talking about. I am glad I found this forum, because I was worried since I am only 32.
So glad I found this forum.  I have had night sweats a week before my period for about 4 years.  I am 42.  It sounds pretty common.  Every month can be different.  Sometimes have to get up and change PJs.  Other times just throw off covers and then get very cold.  It is annoying.  I will try some of the diet recommendations and drink more water.  Thanks all for the info.
Since its clear that this is normal/ undefined/ unresearched/ scary stuff let's see if we can find any trends.  Any feedback from people on the following: are people sure they are hydrated enough leading up to their period and possible night sweat fit? Did the sweats begin after having a baby? Are there any specific vitamins people have taken that have helped? On average how often in a month have people had these sweats?

I guess this is a start. If you respond to these initial questions I will try to see if there are any trends...THANK YOU FOR THIS SiTE! I was really worried
Thank goodness I am not a freak.  I'm 35, have had the night sweats, cold chills, bloating, horrible leg cramps, and headaches for 5 years now.  No doctor can tell me what is wrong, they just say "it may be linked to".  It is not normal to change your clothes, and bed linens 2-3x nightly before your period!  My husband lives in misery with me.  I get exhausted mentally and physically.  My skin feels cool to the touch, but my insides feel like an inferno.  Sweat rolls down my back, under my breasts, and down my inner thighs.  I can't stand to touch my legs while they cramp, and I curse mother nature nightly.  I check my temperature and I always have a low grade fever for 5-7 days before my period.  Once my monthly gift arrives the sweating is less severe, however, my period is intense!  I have to take extra clothes with me wherever I go, and spend a fortune on female protection products.  I have considered a complete hysterectomy, but that is so extreme.  What are we to do?  I've bought over the counter remedies, drank soy, cut out sugars, exercised, prayed, and nothing works.  If I have 15 more years of this I will go insane!  I have one full week of complete joy and normality each month.  That's it, one week to feel human.  If you find a cure please post it.  Good luck to all my fellow nightsweaters!!!
Started night sweats 1.5 years ago after miscarraige (miscarriage), other symptoms were pulsating in ear, palpitations, headache, nausea & fatigue.  Got pregnant just over 1 year ago and symptoms just dissappeared for the whole 9 months...felt great.  Day after I had my baby night sweats started again along with headache & day time claiminess/hot flashes. 4 months after giving birth I still have the symtoms (symptoms). Sweating is not as intense as it was as I havent had to change clothes in recent weeks but damp from chest upwards.  Had full blood count done and chest xray to check for lymphoma as suggested by my gyn consultant - all results were negative & all my hormones tested 'normal'.  However after serious thought and having read every one of the above comments over the past couple hours I truly believe its hormone related!  It may be exacerbated by certain foods, lack of water, exercise etc but I guess it means trying to find what works best for you.  Will be purchasing that book by John Lee as suggested - we need to be the masters of our own bodies as doctors are really no help with this issue - yet anyway!
I'm 37 and started having night sweats 2 years ago. I was on the pill and got my hormones tested which showed they were low. Thought I was perimenopausal. Doc wanted me to get off the pill and see if my body would start making its own hormones. After a month of getting off the pill, hormones came back normal. I used to get night sweats every night. Now it's only before my period but nobody knows why. It's just fluctuating hormones I guess.

One thing that has helped was wearing those menopausal pajamas. The fabric wicks away the moisture. I still wake up sweaty but at least the sheets aren't soaked. I hope that helps others.
Hey everyone!!  I have been taking Tylenol 8 hr to help with my sweats, and it has really helped.  Excited to try other suggestions!!  
I am 43 (tomorrow) and I just started 4 days ago with night sweats! Exactly as described , head and chest. It started the day before  my menstual cycle and now 3 days INTO it. It seemed to be less severe last night as it was 4 days ago. I am very concerned because I also have diverticulitis and I cant have certain things  that someone mentioned above..like NO NUTS OR SEEDS!  My diet has changed so severely this past year since I was diagnosed. I made an appt with the GYN, but now Im wondering If I should just get an over the counter vitamin first??
READ- "TAKING CHARGE OF YOUR FERTILITY!!!"
It is a best selling book and has answers for a lot of everyone's questions about your cycle and explains the hormonal changes. It mentions how doctor's don't really get enough training on this subject (even your gyno!!!! which is crazy BUT ITS TRUE!! my gyno could not give me answers on my night sweats amoung other questions and ordered tests which were fine of course) .  The night sweats are due to hormonal changes pre and post ovulation and pre and post menses. Most of what people are mentioning about their cycles, cervical fluid, spotting, ovulation, etc is all NORMAL.  Please Read the book so you understand your body better. I'm reading it right now and LOVE IT. I have wacky symptons as well but at least I know what is going on and understand and now have peace of mind. I will take people's advice on the exercise and diet to regulate the night sweats. I used to exercise a lot more before my son and never had them so doing cardio and getting the sweat out before bed will likely help me! I will come back and let you all know.
Hi Ladies, I also have been having night sweats for almost 4 years.  I, like most of you, have consulted a number of physicians and tried everything on the market to make the night sweats go away.  I am fortunate in that my night sweats are related to nothing more serious than perimenopause, but it still is a nightly hassle.  I have spent the last year developing a sleepwear solution that allows me to sleep peacefully through the night that works by absorption.  I am not on this forum to sell to any of you, but I want you to know that while we may not be able to stop night sweats, sweet relief and a good night's sleep is possible.  I wish you sweet dreams.  - Wendy Collett, Owner/Founder Dry Babe
Thank goodness I read these articles, I am 39 and have been worried sick thinking there is something seriously wrong with me.  I have just started having these night sweats where I am waking up feeling very wet around my neck and chest, I have also been very anxious recently so am thinking this may be related to it.  I have been on anti-depressants on and off for the last 3 years but these sweats have only just started.  I am about a week away from my period so am thinking it may be hormone related.  It is also winter here and I struggle to get warm at night so it really surprised me when I first woke up sweaty. I guess I will just have to keep tracking it and see what happens.  I feel relieved knowing it may not be something more sinister, let's hope it's just the hormones going nuts!  I am relatively fit - exercise 3 to 4 times a week and eat a pretty well balanced diet.  I have been eating more sweet things recently so not sure if that has any bearing on it.  Will cut down and see what happens.  Thanks for all your posts this has made me feel a bit better and not so anxious about it all.
Wow,so many of us with this problem and no solutions. I have been suffering from night sweats since I was 28 and am 43 now. They used to happen just before my period and now it happens pretty much all the time  with perhaps one night or two out of the month that I don't wake up soaken wet. I've been tested and restested and my hormone levels are fine, not premenoposal, not cancer or TB or thyroid. I've been put on birth control and a mild anti-depressant that helped initally for a few months but that didn't last and I've seen various gynocologist, fertility doctors,etc. and all come back that I am a healthy woman and cannot explain.

I've somewhat come to terms that this is the way it is but my biggest issue is how tired I am from never getting a good night sleep. It's a vicious cycle, I sleep in on the weekends a bit and then by mid-week I'm exhausted again.  How are we suppsed to get through our days like this?
im also 19 andf have been getting night sweats a week b4 my period and this has been happening for abot 6 months now? what are the doctors saying about this?
I everyone I started suffering with the same issue of night sweats 4-8 days before the start of my period about 3 years ago and I am now 35 years old. I am a registered nurse and understood that a drop in progesterone levels will cause night sweats. My doctor did my hormone levels and said I was in the "normal ranges", which by the way are very broad! So going with my intuition I order a Natural Progesterone cream from the states (it has to be natural or you'll cause more issues), the one I use is Progest. I started to use it on the days that I would have had night sweats and it worked. The next month I didn't use it and the night sweats came back. If I forget to use it and I get a night of sweats its no problem, I just remember to use it the next day and the night sweats don't happen the next night. I hope this works for the rest of you, I know how stressful it is!
I've been suffering night sweats too.  I'm cold when go to bed and wake up drenched.  Have changed to a lighter duvet and turned off the radiator and it's still doing it.  

I don't think that I am due though as dont' have 'other sypmtoms'

I take the mini pill too.  Not had this problem before and been on the pill for 8 years.
Howdy fellow sufferers! I'm a 25yr old mother of 1 and have been having this sweaty problem for about 3 years now. The sweats start every month about a week to a few days before my period is due and  sometimes starts the day right after ovulation. Also, I had an ectopic mc 2months ago (lost my right tube) and right before I got my positive test I had the sweats too. It’s mostly in the morning when I first wake up. I feel soooo gross and it’s embarrassing when DH touches me to wake me up and I’m all sweaty (not sexy). My hair gets all wet and sticks to my neck and face even when I put it up...I found that the sweats are worse when my diet is poor,Im stress out at work, I haven’t been drinking enough water and too much coffee. I don’t know what to do but, I hope someone makes a drug soon to help all of us. I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one,and also a little sad that there are so many of us suffering and none of our obgyns seem to give a hoot! Try to stay cool ladies :)
Wow ladies, I really didnt know this was such an epedemic. I've spoken to many friends who've had this come on [post baby. I've suffered night sweats the week before my period since I was 14 but no doctor seems to understand how much this effects our sleep and life. Also, its not something we can be mediaced or subsdised for. It's got twice as worse wince my two year old was born. I also suffer it during ovulation. As you know, it makes us paranoid of cancer and annoying to change sheets all the time, etc bed fun. Is this an epedemic? Yes! Where does everyone live?...I Live in My Maunganui, TGA...we need to ask for help, none of us are getting it, it's crazy!
I am 32 yrs old and have been having night sweats for about a year on and off, I use to get the sweats a day before my period but now i get them during the first and second day of my cycle. Everyone I ask about it seem to be clueless. The only comfort I receive is by reading you all postings. I'm thinking its hormonal.  Also when i ovulate I have to pee about 8times a day...I'm sure if its because I'm bloated or if something else maybe going on. I have a Dr.'s appt. in about a week,,,wish me luck...I trust we all are ok.
Wow what a relief to read this! I am 27 and started night sweats when i was about 23. I also wake up soaking wet needing to get changes and change the sheets. My poor husband rolls over to cuddle me and has to shake me awake cause i am sopping wet! I originally thought it was my new latex matress however i sold that and got a regular matress and nothing changed! Although latex seemed to make them more intense. I have had the sweats both while being on and off the pill. I have now been off the pill for 2 years and have managed to monitor the night sweats and have worked out that i too, get them a few days prior to my period and more recently i thought that i may be having them prior to ovulation.

I dont know what to do about it and hope that it wont affect my fertility or mean something bad! anyway i feel better just knowing that i am not alone!!
I am 30 yeras old I have been having nights sweats for about 3 years now I haven't really paid too much attention to when I get them but after ready all the post my period is about to start in a few days. I also have my tubes tied and thought it may have something to do with that because I have heard that it changes your hormones. I feel a lot better knowing that I am not alone.
I have been having this problem since I was 32 and I am 43 now. I have never found any doctor that has any information or will even admit they can say why this is happening. The worst part for me is the FREEZING for days before or during my period. I wake up all wet from sweating but I am still freezing. I am so miserable. Sometimes it starts as much as 9 days before my period and then another day or two after it finally starts. I don't even care about the sweating part, I am just so tired of being cold/freezing. At work today with way to many clothes and my coat on after a miserable nights sleep of freezing and waking up sweating and freezing all night.
Ditto! I feel your pain, exactly. Mine started about 35, i'm 42 now. Yeah, the worst part is waking up frozen! My wake time always seems to be 5 a.m. I keep a big cotton robe by the bed to throw on when i wake freezing. I sleep with no heat at all, house was 55, when I woke this morning drenched.. misery.  
I have a theory, I sleep on reg 300 thread count sheets, some nights lately i've tried sleeping between 2 cotton blankets. It seems the nights i sleep on the blanket, I sleep alot better, stay drier and warmer. But since the sweats are not an every night occurance, its hard to tell whether its really helping or coincidental.
If you try this, love to know your results, or if anyone else has tried this, also considering flannel sheets.
Hi, can I suggest you see a good holistic nutritionist?  Adrenal exhaustion is one of the major reasons we get night sweats -way too early in life...by the way night sweats are a sign of a hormonal imbalance whether going through menopause or not, they are not normal.  There are lots of foods and supplements that can help.  Just make sure the supplement company is reputable and your foods are mostly organic.  Check out EWG.org for a clean & dirty list of foods to buy.
you can contact me at health train consulting . ca
Thank Goodness, i feel a little better after reading all the comments, Am 29 and I had my first night sweat last night and am on my period as we speak. I have decided to monitor it for another 2 months and see what happens if it persists I will seek medical attention, I have never been sooo freaked out i even goggled it at 4am and got even more freaked out by the search results.... will see what happens, thanks for being so open and forth coming.
I too have experienced nightsweats for the past few years for days before my period.  Often waking drenched and having to change p.j.'s a few times per night.  I spoke to my GP who prescribed oxybutynin for hyperhidrosis. Oxybutynin is for bladder control problems, which I do not have.  I do  not take the medication on a regular basis but I do take it for a few nights prior to my period and I no longer experience night sweats.  Since this medication "dries" out your system you need to drink a fair amount of water but it is well worth it not to experience the uncontrollable sweating.  

Hope this helps someone.
I'm so glad I found this forum.  I'm 38 years old and this issue started when I was about 34 but it has been worse this year and right now I'm on my third week of sweats.  I've been on the pill for 10 years and started to wonder if my hormonal cycle is happening regardless of the fact that I'm not ovulating. Anyway at least tonight when I wake wet and sweating I wont feel the need to start planning my funeral or the dreaded menopause.
I prefer a natural approach and am going to try coming off sugar in the new year and perhaps see my eastern doctor about progesterone.  My mother had a hysterectomy when she was in her early forties so she never really noticed when she went through menopause.
Thank you to all who have posted I feel better and less terminal already,lol.
Also I have stopped working out of the past two months so I guess I better get back in action.
Please keep posting solutions and ideas when you come across them, I'm up for trying anything rather than just accepting this.
Very interesting thread. I just wanted to ask a few things, but first, my issue:
I've also been sweating through my clothes, but it's in the morning, early or late, and I'm still in bed. I'll feel hot, but it escalates to drenched in a few seconds. I have had this with anxiety attacks but I don't think that's what this is. I've had it twice so far and I'm 34. I did read here someone else also had them in the am's.

I've noticed it's 4 days before my period, or day 28. The last time it happened I don't recall the period-relationship.

-could this be something else? Does anyone else here have anxiety? But again i don't think it's anxiety. When I feel myself getting hotter, I do get a bit anxious b/c I don't know what's happening and cannot control it.

-I've been to my gyno for a different reason, months ago and asked about hormone testing and she said it's very unreliable since your hormones change so often. So how are you guys finding out you have high/low hormones? Is there some actually ACCURATE test she doesn't know about?

I'm really scared (as I usually am when I have some weird symptom and cannot control it). Any ideas? I'm going to my doc on Friday. I have been stressed out and am really broke, but I've been stressed before and this sweating thing never happened.
It's a bit of a relief to know that I'm not the only one that goes through this annoying night sweats! For me it started only 4 months ago, I am 30 years old and I have endometriosis, which is an estrogen dominance condition.  I'd been trying to get pregnant for 7 months but because I have endometriosis, my dr wants to speed up the process so he put me on clomid.  The side effects were horrible, awful PMS, extreme mood swings, tiredness, cramping and bloating.  The second cycle of clomid I started with the night sweats a week before my period started so I quit clomid. It's been 3 cycles since that and I am still getting night sweats 10 days to a week before my period's due.  My dr says it has nothing to do with the clomid anymore since I haven't been taking it.  He does not know why I'm experiencing the night sweats, but he will test my FSH levels as soon as I get my period this month.  It's very frustrating that no one can give you a clear answer as to why this happens, but intuitively, as common as it might seem, I don't think it's normal at my age if it's not related to perimenopause.  I really hope someone comes up with an answer soon, until then, hang in there ladies!
Hi Guys! I will be 34 in about 5 days going through the same. My sweats happen about 1 week before my period also. When it happens I get up in the middle of the night change my clothes, then take a natural supplement called Estraval from a company called Melaleucia.  I used to sell these products and had a bottle left over. The product has Dried Soy Extract 75mg **** Quai 50mg, and dried Black Cohosh 25mg. Once I take one, my night sweats stop for the entire week. I am not saying yours will stop for the entire week but even if you have to take one every night it will be better than waking up wet! I would bet it is the **** Quai and the Black Cohosh that stops the sweats! This particular supplement is for women in menopause but it works for me and I don't think I am..either way it works!  I am grateful for this post as I now feel a lot better knowing it is probably hormonal! :) Good Luck Ladies!
I'm 27 years old, and have been having these night sweats for the last 3 years or so and they are usually associated with my period.  I'm an active, healthy individual and have been on the birth control pill since I was 22.  
From my research I discovered that these night sweats occur more often in women who have been on the pill for a number of years.  It has to do with the fact that you are using a supplement to provide your estrogen and progesterone instead of producing it via your own body.  This causes an issue with the hypothalamus (which is activated by and controls the release of hormones and temperature regulation in your body).  Apparently, the hypothalamus become less sensitive to temperature regulation as it is constantly being activated by estrogen in the pill and this can result in an imbalance in temperature control.  As a result, the body is kept at a higher temperature, and other receptors (in the skin and blood vessels) detect this abnormal temperature, and kick in to lower the body temperature back to normal. As a result, you sweat to reduce the body temperature.
I noticed I was running a much warmer body temperature when my boyfriend pointed it out a couple years back.  The night sweats began shortly after that.  I thought it was related to an increase in my metabolism, but it was almost always associated with the onset of my period.  I plan to start getting pregnant (and therefore stop taking the pill) after I'm married, and have heard that once your body starts producing it's own natural estrogen, the night sweats usually stop.  I guess only time will tell.  
I am 41.  I've been off the pill and trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years and I can tell you my night sweats have NOT stopped.  I have been experiencing them for about 3 years.  I went to a fertility clinic to make sure everything was in working order and they said my ovaries, uterus, and tubes are fine and I am not even close to approaching menopause.  I only recently started charting the night sweats and noticed they occur about 2-3 days before my period.   I don't have any answers, but after reading some of your posts, I know I will NOT be taking Clomid to get pregnant.  Night sweats are bad enough.  I don't need side effects too.
I've had night sweats for several years on and off but lately it's been every night and several times a night. I exercise on a regular basis; I'm a fitness instructor but it doesn't seem to make a difference for me. I'm 36 yrs old. Just went to my doctor. She says that I'm too young for menopause but ordered blood tests. Waiting for results; hoping for answers.
I too, am experiencing these night sweats.  Even the tops of the legs feel soggy.  After reading what you all were posting, I noticed that my night sweats happen about a week prior to my period, too.  I am 40 years old and have been experiencing these for less then a year now, but they are happening every month.  I am not have flashes during the day, but I have noticed that I tend to have a stronger "odor" during this time too.  Any ideas?  Thanks everyone for being so candid! Good luck to all of us!
I will be 30 in march and this problem started happening to me almost a year ago when I had a miscarriage but they haven't stopped since normally right around my period time. This month during has been pretty bad. I thought something was wrong with me to guess its pretty common glad I find this site glad to share with y'all.
Its funny how it seems as if the Dr's want us to just grin and bear it in silence.    
As if sleep is unimportant.  Anyone who experiences relief please come back and share...
I am so glad to read all the comments in this community. I visited awhile ago and came back today after the last 3-4 nights of sweaty misery. I was wondering if there were some common threads among all of us ladies... I've read that women who are small-boned or have little body fat might experience estrogen deficient symptoms earlier than menopause or perimenopause. It seems that a lot of you on here state that you are fit and active (maybe equals less body fat?). Coincidence?
Hey there!
I had a tubal about two years ago but my fallopian tubes were clamped instead of cauterized.  I have started experiencing similar symptoms as described above.  I have terrible night sweats about a week before my period and tons of cramping of my fallopian tubes during ovulation.  It hurts so badly during ovulation but frankly I would take that over the night sweats!  Please continue to share info as it comes in.  I'm kind of concerned about the night sweats but feel some relief knowing others are going through it.  
I am 32 and have been having night sweats since my mid 20's. I honestly felt regular and did not experience any of this when I was pregnant. So, for my personal experience I believe this is an imbalance in hormones. Obvious, I know, but I have a strong suspicion that these results would not show up on a blood test. I think this because of the 'ranges' they set up could be different for each woman. If one woman is borderline, and another woman has drawn the same number, the actual outcome is different for each. My point is, I dont think a blood test is always accurate because we are all so different. Listen to your body
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!  I'm 32, have had no pregnancies, not on contraception, and have had night sweats occassionally for the last year or so.  I hadn't had one for ages but last night I was drenched then woke up with my period and an 'aha' moment... I'm encouraged to hear other woman my age have had these too - I was a bit terrified I was perimenopausal or had TB.  Seems like just another PMS symptom... yay
Hi iam Tracy and iam 40years old and ihave just started my period but a week before I started I have been having really bad night sweets and I mean wakeing up with a paddle of sweet sat on my chest but freezing at the same time it affects my life like iam so snappy horrible to my kids my partner
To anyone who gets in my way I just hate myself how I become its like there is to people in me there's the kind and caring side of me for 3 weeks of the mouth then there's the monster who come out on the 4 week of my period it is getting worse has I get older so I feel for all us women who suffer
With thoses horrible sweets.  
What a relief to hear there are people with the same prob that the drs have no answers for. I too was tested for HIV etc. I am 35 and the night sweats r incredible. I am also experiencing severe pms some months. Might try some herbal remedies.....
I started having night sweat about 4 years ago when I was 36. It was triggered by a condition called Adrenal Fatigue, that happened after a very stressful family crisis.
Adrenal Fatigue diagnosis is very simple - the pupil is enlarged. When the body gets into Fight or Flight mode, the pupil  expands to get as much information for the emergency situation.
Adrenal Fatigue can cause health havoc, such as hormonal imbalance.
I have been working with an incredible Iridologist (a person who checks your health through your eye Iris) whom I see every other month. I use natural supplements and herbs.
I found that Pycnogenol (derived from French Maritime Pine Bark) helps to keep my night sweats at bay.
Also, I found that if I eat meat that was treated with hormones it triggers horrible night sweats. At home I eat only organic meat, but when I travel and eat whatever - I pay a price. So I prefer to be vegetarian on my trips.
I had my TL just over 2 years ago and since then premenstrually I get horrible night sweats which go on even during the day at times....thanks for the insight!  
I was thinking the same thing. I am naturally small boned and slight in figure. My doctor told me estrogen is stored in fat and so I may be experiencing estrogen deficient symptoms. While reading this thread, I had noticed that many of the ladies commented about being active and fit. A common thread, maybe? I started having night sweats immediately after having my first baby at 34. I was told it was due to breastfeeding. I then noticed that I would get night sweats just prior to my period. When I was pregnant with my second baby they went away only to return after I had the baby. I sweat between one night to one week during my PMS time. The only thing that helps is keeping a handle on stress, good diet, exercise, and soy. I've also tried the wild yam cream (Pro-gest). I thought it helped, but can't be sure. Good luck, sweat sisters! :)
Hello Ladies!

I am 33 year old and my night sweats started 3 - 4 years ago. They usually occur  a day or two prior to my period. Almost a year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and my OBGYN recommended to have Mirena. I refused it and instead I found a naturopath who prescribed me Natural Progesterone -100mg.
After four months of taking the Natural Progesterone my night sweats were gone. My period became regular - every morning on the 28th day (before was on the 24th or 25th day.) My hair stop falling and new growth had appeared. My energy improved, my acne cleared up and I got my happy mood back.
Unfortunately back in May I started having my periods on the 25th day again, but the good news is that the sweats are still goon. My naturopath  increased the dosage of the Natural Progesterone to 150 mg  and I still get my period early. Now I am on 200mg and will see how this month will go. Overall the Natural Progesterone works great for me. A week ago I had my annual exam and my OBGYN was kind of irritated when I told her that I am taking Natural Progesterone. I told her that all my symptoms have disappeared, but she still was suggesting I should switch to Mirena or birth control pills.

My opinion on this common problem among the women is that we are way too stressed and we eat very bad food - full of chemicals and this affects our hormones.
Even though I cook fresh and organic food does not help, because there is no real organic food in USA only CRAP!!! I am going to Europe next summer for two months and if my health improves there all my theory will be proven to be right...
I wish good luck to all!
Hey Guys!
So, I Am 22 And Have Had This Since The Age Of 17 & It *****. I Feel Gross Waking Up In The Morning, My Boyfriend Doesn't Even Want To Come Near Me Through The Night, And Yes, It Does Come From Anywhere From A Week To Just A Few Days. For Me (No, I Have Not Talked To My Gyn Because I Don't Think It's A HUGE Deal...And Don't Punish Me If You Don't Think The Same Way Lol), I Think I Sweat A LOT Of My Water Weight Out During This Time. I Say 2 Weeks Before My Period, I Get SO Bloated From Water Weight  And I Can Gain Anywhere From 3-5 Pounds Just Because Of This. But I Noticed When Ever I Get Night Sweats, My Swelling And Weight Drop As I Keep Sweating. And When My Period Finally Comes, It Is A Very Happy/Depressing Moment. Depressing For...Well...Obvious Reasons. And Happy Because It FINALLY Came And I Loose The Rest Of The Water Weight!

Anyone Else Noticing This?!

Thanks :)
its completley NORMAL its one of those things you never get told like how big you boobs get on day 3 of giving births and all that jazz so stop worring yes its horrible i have it also but its normal its due to the increase in hormone activity as your not pregnant and dont have a fertalized egg to nurish it how your body first start the procedure of removing the unfertalized egg and the process of a period....if you were pregnant it wouldnt happen ...hugs x
I have had this problem since I was about 27. I'm now 42. When this first started happening to my in my 20's I freaked out and was convinced I had menopause too! But I had the test and of course I was fine.

Two years ago, I had my first (yes first! :D) baby. The sweats stopped the entire time I was pregnant except for the night I went into labor! Once the baby was born I was nursing and the sweats (and my period) didn't return until I began weaning earlier this year. I read the link that someone posted to a doctor who "answered" the question. He mentioned premature ovarian failure. This might be true in some cases, but I think it's not a good answer. While I had a little trouble getting pregnant, before it happened, I had the test for that (ovarian failure) and everything under the sun and everything came back normal, and I ended up having a huge, healthy baby.

I think in most cases its some sort of hormonal imbalance. Last month I started acupunture and the sweats were very mild. I haven't been able to go for the last two weeks and they came back with a vengeance. I've also been trying natural progestrone cream this month and so far it hasn't helped, but I think it's helpful for most people.

Its a shame that so many women have this and there's no real info on how to solve it, just alot of scary stuff, that is not the case for most of us.  
I have been gong thru the same thing since  I was 25, now 44.  I fixed mine with extra strength HRT from Walmart.  It is a natural product.  I start taking them 4 days before my period and then stop when I get my period.  Works like a charm!
hi all, don't want to alarm anyone but since it hasn't been mentioned there is the chance that with lots of night sweats not explained by perimenopause or menopause, we should also rule out lymphoma (cancers that affect lymph nodes) and  a rare form of cancer (several locations in body but all types of this hormone-producing tumor type) called carcinoid.

for carcinoid, the great thing is that a couple of simple blood tests -for blood seratonin and CgA (blood levels of  chromogranin A) can almost certainly rule it out - just to be sure- since even imaging tests can miss it otherwise. because these cancers are rare even experienced MDs can overlook these simple tests, diagnosing other things like irritable bowel, etc for years because many are slow growing tumors...

just to be smart! smiles and best to all

for carcinoid, the great thing is that a couple of simple blood tests -for blood seratonin and CgA (blood levels of  chromogranin A) can almost certainly rule it out - just to be sure- since even imaging tests can miss it otherwise. because these cancers are rare even experienced MDs can overlook these simple tests, diagnosing other things like irritable bowel, etc & the carcinoid can go undiagnosed for many years because many are slow growing tumors...

I too am having these damn nite sweats. But, I drink tons of water and exercise five days a week. I am doing Insanity for the second time so I know I am getting my full share of cardio. I have found I can ignore the urge to wake up due to being soaked but it is still yucky feeling when you wake to have your boy shorts and tank top soaked and removing all my clothes doesn't seem to help either. The only thing I love is that the nite sweats are a good indicator of my cycle. I can say it is every month but the months it happens suck. I was searching the net just to be sure I am not the only one experiencing this phenomenon and thank goodness I am not. I think just knowing it is natural has helped a great deal.
Hi I am 23 and have also been experiencing nightsweats for the last three or four years. I took this issue to my doctor and she had me take a TB test and a blood test for HIV and then also to check on my thyroid. She also did a blood test for Anemia. She said that sometimes certain types of Anemia can also cause nightsweats. If you go to your doctor, have them do a blood test for your thyroid and also for anemia. Neither of them showed up for me, but I wanted to share that so that it can give you another thing for your doctor to check on. And it seems as though a reagular doctor will have more answers than a Gyn. I think it is more than just a menstrual thing and a regular doctor will have more insight.  Hopefully it will come up with some results or give your doctor another way to go? Another thing my doctor recommended to me is to have a high protein snack like an hour to an hour and a half before bed time. That has worked some and I can tell a little bit of a difference.  Another thing that has given me a little bit more help is moisture wicking sheets and pillowcases. I also wear a moisture wicking shirt and shorts, usually just the athletic ones, nothing special. When I do wake up, I don't feel as sticky and drenched as I usually do. I know how miserable it can be to get up and change your clothes twenty times a night and are too tired to change all the bedding.    I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!
Cold shower has helped me. So haappppy, I could not wait to share this with you all, no more sweat , none at all. I suffered on and off for 13 years.  I am 42 years old. I tried different food, elimination etc...... Warm bath made it worse, stress made it worse, ate dinner too late and too much made it worse. The past year I suffered the worse and panic because I sweat so much and every night, not just the week before period because more family stress and less sleep, worked too much and not enough rest, (I worked 12 to 16 hours a day and 7 days a week) sometimes i need to change clothes up to 10 times a night.  Cold shower helped strengthen my skin. I used to take real warm shower because I was always cold--bad idea. Now I take cool to warm shower and then finish of with all the way to the coldest shower for the last 2 minutes.This tighten the skin and it also good for my skin and hair.
Cold shower has helped me. So haappppy, I could not wait to share this with you all, no more sweat , none at all. I suffered on and off for 13 years.  I am 42 years old. I tried different food, elimination etc...... Warm bath made it worse, stress made it worse, ate dinner too late and too much made it worse. The past year I suffered the worse and panic because I sweat so much and every night, not just the week before period because more family stress and less sleep, worked too much and not enough rest, (I worked 12 to 16 hours a day and 7 days a week) sometimes i need to change clothes up to 10 times a night.Cold shower helped strengthen my skin. I used to take real warm shower because I was always cold--bad idea. Now I take cool to warm shower and then finish of with all the way to the coldest shower for the last 2 minutes.This tighten the skin and it also good for my skin and hair
Thanks for sharing! Encouraging to hear that you were able to get pregnant. I was worried that the night sweats would make it difficult to conceive.
Yes me too since I was 24 after I got malaria in Africa . No one knows anything , I think it's def hormone related as they stopped while I was pregnant and I am now 38 ...... Reducing coffee, wine, sugar and stress helps at times . I think it could be some genetic thing , triggered by some trauma which effects hormonal levels
I've had a tubal 10 years ago & I have been diagnosed with endometriousis ovarian cysts and p.i.d since the procedure. I am almost 32 & over the past year I have started having extreme night sweats but waking up freezing. Even more recently I have began gettin horrible migraines just before & during my period...anyone else experiencing this???
I have a fibroid too and I'm having the night sweats as well. I thought this was probably the cause of it also. My doctor pretty much brushed me off when I brought this up!
I just found this post and it appears to have started back in 2009.  I've always had problems with hot flushes since I was 16.  I'm now 28 and I have them and night sweats now.  Of course like most others have said when you first start to research these things all the really scary stuff pulls up first. (example-HIV) While reading through everyones experiences and personal solutions I realized that all of us are being pushed away by our doctors after explaining our issue.  I'm wondering why that is and why there are no real solutions to this issue.  Do we all really have to live with these sweating episodes for the rest of our lives?  It appears that most of us are having these issues around the same time as our monthly.  This has to be hormones and some of us are on birth control which I personally think makes this issue worse.  It does make women retain water; it's almost like eating the extra salt we're trying not to eat which causes the sweats.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm trying to excerise more, but I found out that can cause night sweats.  My house is feezing because even when I'm not experiencing hot flushes or night sweats I'm still hot, I've always been that way.  I need help and I hate doctors because they always brush everything off.
I'm 25 years old and began having horrible night sweats 5 to 7 days before my period would start there are some nights when I have to get up an change shirt or my side of the bed is wet I'm 5'2 and weight 125pds.. I began tracking these and other symptoms on a app called "p-tracker" I'm hoping at some point i can take this to my obgyn and get answers. For now I'm going to try to live a more active life style get to the gym or jog daily.. just this alone does a ton for your mind, body, and soul.
I stopped taking the pill over a year ago and started having monthly night sweats before my period. This website says it could be as simple as a drop in progesterone right before period starts:
http://www.sweatology.net/night-sweats/are-night-sweats-before-a-period-normal/
I am 42 years old and have been suffering from night sweats for years now but it seems to be getting worse with age. I used to get them about a week before my period and now it goes well into my period and even after. I probably have one dry week a month. Drenching is right and like most, if not all of you, the doctors don't seem to take this problem too seriously. I have had recent blood work and as usual, all came back fine. My next step is to see my dermatologist. Can't remember why...lol but I know I read somewhere to go see him/her.  Don't know if that will get me anywhere but I am so sick of this. I too wake up drenched and cold in my own sweats. The sweating is bad enough but then there is this odor of vinegar. I am going to try the cold showers which I know won't be pleasant but I am willing to try anything at this point. I will post my findings if any..good luck to you all!
I experience this too (in the same time frame -- 5-7 days before my period starts).  I talked to my doctor about this and she said it's because of the sharp drop in progesterone levels that brings on menstruation.  She gives me a topical bioidentical estrogen/progesterone combo cream that seems to help -- so you might want to look into this (there are some good otc progesterone-only creams available, too -- Progest is one).  Good luck!
Cat
The night sweats are a symptom and onset of a hormonal imbalance.  
Hi there

I'm 40 years old and have been suffering with drenching night sweats for a week before my period and this has been going on for a couple of years (coincidentally it didn't happen before I had my sterilisation - tubes clamped rather than tied).

I also suffer from thrush about just before the sweats arrive so life can be pretty miserable, I have cut out sugar in my diet and do not eat red meat or processed foods so I thought this might help - NO DIFFERENCE!! Also I've gained almost a stone in weight and can't shift it at all which makes me temped to eat all the sugary things I used to love! I have been tested for the Menopause as my mother started when she was 41 years old - my test came back negative although I'm sure I am Peri-menopausal as my periods are every three weeks and usually only last two days.

However, I really wanted to share a piece of good news. I was recommended a herbal supplement called Star Flower which is to be taken every day. After a month the night sweats vanished. Also, I unfortunately do randomly suffer from hot flushes in the day and I was recommended Red Clover - this also worked and no more hot flushes. My only dilemma was whether I should take them both or will they somehow counteract one another.

I hope this helps all or some of you, I really think these supplements worked a miracle for me but everyone is different.

The only problem I need to tackle now is my weight issue, my only luxury in life as far as food and drink is concerned is Red Wine or a packet of peanuts and minimal quantities at that! Any suggestions welcome.

Good luck,

Beeney xx

I am 47 and have had this same issue on and off since about 32.  It has to be due to some hormonal surge right bf period.  I just woke up to sweat down to my ankles. It's so strange bc I have never had these sweats during the day. I have never found a doctor who knows anything about this.  Without reading through all these posts has anybody found a solution or answer?
Hi totie
I'm taking a chance assuming u r still using this forum.
If  u don't mind me asking- what was the outcome of all your tests related to the symptoms undescribed. My symptoms r a mirror immage of yours. I hav a gyro appointment but its 3 months away. Thankyou
I also have had night sweats the week before my period for @13 yrs and had a baby 4 yrs after they started. I'm now 48. The problem resolved during my pregnancy but returned and continued shortly after.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few yrs ago and once on medication for it, saw a significant decline in the sweating. However, the sweating has persisted despite the thyroid meds, but I would say that the sweating is not as severe as before I started meds. Our thyroid hormones help metabolize our reproductive hormones, so I wonder if the symptoms are connected? I'm guessing I was sub clinical hypothroid for a long time and wonder if that was tied to my sweats.. Anyone else with hypothyroidism and premenstrual night sweats?
I am a 28 year old woman living in Texas.  I have an 8 year old daughter and I am 5'3 - 130lbs, I eat right and am pretty healthy. I have more like morning sweats. It has been happening for the past 6 years or so.

I had a tubal pregnancy in 2011 and the month I got pregnant I thought my period was coming because I was having the same morning sweats like usual. Weird, huh??

The sweats happen like clock work EVERY month a few days after I ovulate and STOP the day I get my period. This is how it happens:

My alarm goes off @ 5:00am, I hit snooze. Then by 10 mins the alarm goes off again and by then I'm SWEATING from my forehead all down my chest, back of my neck, bottom, my thighs, underarms, and my vajayjay.

I can feel my temp. rising and I can’t stop the sweat, not matter what I do.
ONE thing that I have charted over the years is that if I wake up in the middle of the night and use the restroom I WON'T sweat when my alarm goes off. I think it's the amount/concentration of hormones in the urine accumulating during the night.

I've been to the doc many times and had allll the tests ran and I'm  "normal". I wish someone would come up with something to help us!!!  Blessings ladies!