Not ovulating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Not ovulating

I just found out that I am not and have not been ovulating for several months. This past month  I took Clomid, but still didn't ovulate.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how did you remedy the situation?  I'll take Clomid again once I start my period again, but if that doesn't work, what else do they/can they do?  Thanks.
I am having the same problem.  I have been given shots to make me have a period and have taken pills, but without any of that I haven't had a period for a year (without help).  I am desperate to get started because I have been ttc for a over a year now, but it is impossible without ovulating.  I want the doctor to take more active measures, but what would those measures be?  Let me know if you found out anything.  Good luck!
I was the same, and was put on clomid.  I was convinces that I was still not ovulating by cycle 3, but ended up beign pg anyway.  Stay with it and be patient, clomid works.
I'm 24. I don't get my periods sometimes. I never too any medication for that. Will there be any problem in getting pregnant???
I was told i was not ovulating because there was not enough time to because i was getting 2 periods a month. A specialist wanted me to go on birth control pills to get rid of the symptoms without finding the cause of the problem. It did not make sense to me because BC stops you from ovulating. I asked all kinds of questions on what could be causing this and the specialist basiclly did not know. I got the impression he was just a pill pusher and was not here to help me get better. Take pills to cover up the symptoms and take pills to have kids.

I searched for a better solution. I talked to a local homopatic doctor and my primary care about my general health.  About the same time i started the 2 periods a month i became allergic to several things i never been before. My primary care suspects an exposure to chemicals during my environmental consulting carrer may have caused a change.

I stopped eating beef last summer and starting eating all organic meats and vegetables. I started taking herbal supplyments such as Vital Nutriants brand- adreanal support, pms support, dandiline root etc. and did a  detoxification. After changing my diet to be exposed to less hormones and chemicals and taking herbs my periods are back to normal.
I HAVE BEEN TTC FOR OVER A YEAR I HAVE A 12 YEAR  OLD SON AND AM TRYING AGAIN I HAD HIM WITH NO PROBLEMS I TOOK 2 ROUNDS OF CLOMID AT 50MG AND THEN A THIRD THIS MONTH AT 100MG AND THE DOCTOR DOES NOT THINK I OVULATED.HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM I DESPARTE I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH MORE I CAN TAKE I PLANNED TO HAVE IUI IN SEPTEMBER BUT IF I AM NOT OVULATING IT MAKE NO SENSE TO DO THIS.PLEASE HELP ANY INFO WOULD HELP.MY HUSBAND HAD SEAMEN TEAT CAME BACK PERFECT.SO ITS NOT HIM ITS ME
I too am having the same problem.  I have a two and half year old little girl.  It took us 2 years to get pregnant with her.  I was ovulating then.  I went through some test and finally had a test done that cleaned out my tubes and that is when I got pregnant.  This time we have been trying since October and I haven't ovulated since then.  This is new to us b/c I did ovulate before.  I started Clomid and am about to start my 4th month of the medication.  I have been having to take Provera to have a period and after bloodwork each time the doctor still says my hormone levels are too low, thus no ovulation.  I started on 50mg of Clomid and after the first month he bumped it up to 100mg.  I am not sure of the dosage I will be on this month.  I have been testing with an ovulation kit.  This month he wants me to use the ovulation kit and take temperatures.  I kid my husband that it isn't as fun for us to get pregnant b/c we are going to know the exact date and time that we got pregnant and lets face it, it is stressful and not always fun.
You can also take Letrazole. It is used for women with breast cancer but is known to work for ovulating. Also, asked your doctor about PCOS.
I have been taking OPK for 4 months.  I haven't had one show that I am ovulating.  I have a fairly regular period.  Usually, my cycle is 30 days.  Every now and then it will be 32 days.  Does this mean I am not ovulating?
Oh god. This is scary to read!

If you have a period every month doesnt that mean you ARE ovulating? Now Im worried because we've been TTC and maybe I'm just not ovulating even though I have regular periods...

ACCCCK !
You get your period because your body is shedding your uterine lining.  It doesn't mean you ovulated.  I just learned this from a fertility specialist.  I have been ttc for over a year, and just learned that I was probably not ovulating.  Look into it.  Check out PCOS also.  Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome.
Has anyone had a hysterosalpingogram(HSG)?  I am going to be having one 8-10 days after my next period.  I was just on Provera and finished taking that today.  I'm nervous about this test b/c I have heard that it hurts.  Does anyone know for sure?
I had an HCG last week.  My doc told me to take tylenol or any other pain medication about an hour before the procedure.  I took 4 ibuprophen.  I am unsure if it helped or not.  I'll be honest with you, it hurt very badly.  They tell you that it feels like really bad menstrual cramps, and that is partially true, but the pain is worse than the worst cramps I've ever had.

The good news is that the pain does not last very long--a few minutes.  My doc said that it is not painful for some people.  Another bonus is that if you do have any blockage, injecting the dye during the test may actually un-block your tubes.

You'll be fine.  You only ever have to have it done once!
Has anyone tried the ovulation kit trust me that is the only way if you are ovulating and chart your period every mth.
I have a regular period every 31 days but I am not ovulating either.  I figured this out when I started taking natural family planning classes.  I took the class so we wouldn't have to use birth control, only to find out I don't ovulate.  Through the class I found out that there are several reasons for not ovulating.  One being the vitamin deficiancy.  Most women don't get enough vitamin B complex.  The recommended DV is no where near what women really need.  The vitamins have to be 100% natural as well because a lot of peoples bodies don't even absorb synthetic vitamins that you can buy at target or walmart.  You have to buy them from the organic aisle.   It can take a while but a lot of time vitamin B complex alone will straighten out your cycle and your hormones.
Another not well known reason women don't ovulate is because of a low functioning thyroid.  Your thyroid controls your hormones. You can figure out if you have a low thyroid disorder by taking your temperature when you wake up every morning at the same time.  If your temp is less then 98.0 consistantly, you probably have a low functioning thyroid.  And this not only messes up your reproductive cycle it can mess with your whole body. This is what I think I have. I am being tested for it.
If you try the vitamin B complex, it takes a little while to work.  But they suggest 50 to 100 mcg. Not the 12mcg that they used to say you should have.  Another really strange reason some women don't ovulate is Being "light sensitive." Sleeping in a room with too much light.  Even an alarm clock light can effect some women's cycles. Try sleeping in a pitch black room. It might help.  I learned this in Natural family planning classes. One woman in the class couldn't get pregnant for a long time and she started sleeping in a pitch black room and she finally became pregnant and had 3 kids and a normal cycle ever since she tried it.  
If you are having problems becoming pregnant or ovulating or trying to figure out your cycle, taking this class is very informative. They give you way more one on one time then any Dr has ever given me. And they really help you chart your cycle and figure out what is wrong and why you are not ovulating. Most insurance policy's cover it. If you don't have insurance they take donations. It was very benificial for me.  This is how I found out I wasn't ovulating and that I might have a low functioning thyroid.  
Hi All,

I feel hopeless after reading your comments! I was just diagnosed with PCOS and have been told i'm not ovulating. I can go up to 4 months without a period. I got pregant earlier this year but miscarried. I'm really scared that i will never get pregnant! People keep saying i'm young and have all the time in the world but i don't think i can cope with another two years of hell!

I am seeing the specialist about taking clomid and having my hormones checked to support pregnancy.

Listening to your reponses i know guess that even drugs is no guarantee of getting pregnant and carring to full termI

Good luck to all.

Hello i need some ones help.. I am on clomid and i am actually on my third cycle of the medication. My first cycle of clomid was 50mg and i did ovulate. My second cycle which was also 50mg i didnt not ovulate so my doctor decided that we should try the third cycle at 100mg and instead of days 5-9 she moved it up to days 2-6 but i still havent ovualted should i be worried?
Let me tell you my story,please tell me if anyone has been in my situation. I am 39, have not had a cycle in 4 years without medication. I am in perimenapause and have taked clomid. This did not work. My doctor has told me my ovaries are not developing and are just there. I have tried every procedure possible and have taken vitamins nothing. I just can not ovulate for nothing. Just came from the doctor this morning and he gave me 3 options: carry someone elses egg, adopt, or he will monitor me in a month. Is there anything else I can try or take over the counter
OK so my husband & I have been TTC for like 8 years!  I am 32 he is 37...But finally got in w/ fertility specialist 6 months ago... All my tests came back good, my bloodwork, the dye test, and I even had an Endo biop test which came back good and showed that I had ovulated...  My husband's sperm seemed to be an issue (but we never thought it bc he has a son from previous relationship)...His volumne was slightly low and morphology also slightly low... Been doin OPK got LH surge on day 15 after AF (is that period), soo Today we went for insemination.. we had sex last nt & this morning bc no one told us not to.. Needless to say they showed us his guys on the grid in the scope...there should have been 100, there were 2!!!! So we couldn't do insemination...but Dr wanted to go ahead and do vag ultrasound to chk my Ov... He checks it and my lil tiny wanna b egg is like 8mm instead of being 26mm...so now I am a problem:(
I am so lost and confused!  We will be having a meeting w/ specialist again next week as now we have 2 problems not just 1...
I am so desperate to have a baby or 2 I just keep getting excited only to be told something discouraging..I am really confused..Did I just not Ov this month? Why would the OPK say I am going to???
Hello everyone!  I feel the same. This is my first month with clomid 50mg.  I am on day 21 and no ovulation.  Very discourage.  My doctor said some people get pregnant with clomid on their six tries (six months).  I have to keep telling myself to be positive and it will work.  Don't keep up!  I will let you guys know when I get pregnant.  Good luck to all of us in the same boat. :)

kaitlynstar  Orange County, CA
Don't give up!  Just keep trying.  
I can relate in more ways than 1. Took first course of 50mg clomid in March 2009..and fell pregnant, but miscarried at 5 weeks...had D&C. then took a break for few months...then July and August took 100mg of clomid only to find out i have a cyst and endometriosis...had cyst removed in October...Beginning of this month took 50mg clomid again and i went for check up on Friday the 18th and have another cyst and now i am NOT ovulating...Dr says to leave it and to take 100mg clomid next month! I am MORE than despondent! If that does not work he says IVF BUT at R25 thou a month...who the hell can afford that!
Anyone is same situation?
I took 50mg. of Clomid and I didn't ovulate and I have a question.  The dr. says he can't raise the clomid dose until I bleed but what if I dont bleed?  Dont you need to ovulate in order to bleed or does he mean that "breakthough bleeding" that is not a true period and what if that doesn't happen. Does anyone have any advice I am old I started trying to have a baby when I was in my 40's and I think I just have to face that I waited too long.  I can't take the pain anymore.
Hi All,

Im new to this IUI situation but not the PCOS.... I found out i had PCOS out of a fluke ultrasound for a sore tummy, Dr said to get my ovaries removed because there were that many cysts and they could turn cancerous......I decided to get a second opinion (i was 19) come to find out i was actually pregnant at the time. 12 yrs later i have three children all concieved naturally but now we want a fourth and we have been to a specialist to watch my ovulation come to find out i to am not ovulating!!! Im terrified to take the drugs for side effects to me but also long term health effects like cancer to myself and possibly the fetus if i do fall......What have your Dr's told you about the meds?? And with PCOS and these drugs what the chances of twins or more????
Would love some help. Thanks :)
I went to the GN today, and also told me I am not, and have not been ovulating. I told him that I have been getting a positive every month on an OPK. He said that OPK's only detects the surge that your body is ready to ovulate. But, it does not detect ovulation iself. Your body may be ready to ovulate, the egg may not release. I am scheduled for the salpingogram to check out what is really going on, with blockage. But, he did determine I more than likely have endometriosis as well.
Hi all iv have just been told by my doctor that I'm not ovulating and that I have no eggs??I have a period almost every month every now and then I mite miss 1 but I thought u had 2 ovulate 2 have a period?can any1 help and also what procedure do they do now?ttc 4 13months
I am having the same problem. I started Clomid on Oct. 8, 2010 and should have ovulated between 10/17/2010 and 10/22/2010. I have taken 3 OPK's and they have all been negative so far. I am not sure what to do now.
I have tried clomid for 6 months and then a pill for women with breast cancer which the sideeffect is to ovulate.  I have about 20 follicules(eggs) in each ovary so I have PCOS.  I have tried ovulation induction once in Mexico because is cheaper but didn't work.  I started a second tretment but my eggs never matured.  I am so desperate and disapointed.  Now I have to wait another month to start a new treatment.  I have one daughter who is 4 yrs old but want a second.  I guess the key is never to give up.  
Help. I HATE THIS!! My wife only has a period once every two or three months. When I entered this into the ovulation calculator on WEBMD, it says that she is not ovulating! Please tell me this is not true!!
I am new to all of this too.  I went about 9 months w/o having my period.  Took Metformin for 4 months....no period, just BAD diarrhea!!!  Dr. prescribed Provera.  4 days after last pill, got my period then started Clomid 50mg on days 5-9.  I took OPK's from cycle day 12-23, all negative test results.  Not sure if I ovulated, very doubtful.  Husband and i have had sex every other day for about 3 weeks now.  It's too early to test but I doubt I'm pregnant.  We also used pre-seed which we like a lot.  This whole process is very frustrating!!  I'm 29 and would like to get pregnant sooner rather than later.  I hope we all have good luck!!!
Since I had my daughter two years ago, I remember that I obvulated for a few months. I went on bc to give it some time, then off after about 4 months later. I haven't shown any signs that I'm obvulating. I know its me, though I haven't had testing. My husband though older is 'normal'. Does anyone know of an over the counter that may possiably help?
I just finished the 6 months of clomid. Month one 50mg 2nd month 100 and 3-6 150. I literally just got the phone call and my progesterone count was only .4 I have had my tunes checked,   as well as my ovaries and everything else. Everything is perfect, I don't get it!!
I went for a check up when we decided to start TTC. Since I was only having periods every two months, my doctor put me on Provera to make me have them monthly. I took 5 10mg pills the first time and two weeks later I still hadn't started my period. So he told me to take 10 10mg pills. I did and then I started my period. But I'm not ovulating either. I got back in 3 weeks for another appointment. We have a 2.5 year old. I'm curious what the next step is. Will they try Clomid so soon?
Four days after taking clomids and i was having a lil bit of cramps but every ovulation test i took was negative whats going on?
I have 3 kids that are 13,8 &5 and now we are ttc again but it's been 3 months and nothing has happened. I know it's not a year or anything but everytime I was pregnant before, it happened the first or second try. I lost 120pounds 2 years ago and now since i've been ttc i've gained 35 pounds. Is this affecting my chances? I'm also 36. I'm getting stressed out and I don't know what to do. My husband is an old school kind of guy and won't go to the doctor for anything so testing him is out.  Any suggestions?
I am so confuse at this point. Can someone explain this to me? Okay so I am 19 and I haven't had my period for almost a year. I am irregular...I use to get my period 2 months straight then it will disappear and come back in 4 months or some it wouldn't  come after a while.  I have been told that if you don't get periods you are not ovulating and some say you do? Is it possible that I can't still get pregnant with no period ? I am so confuse!