Novasure endometrial ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Novasure endometrial ablation

I had a novasure endometrial ablation 2 months ago.  I was having terrible and painful periods and now I have not a had a period since then which is good.
The problem I am having is that I also had a mild case of interstitial cystitis, but I had it under control.
Now it has flared out of control since the surgery so my periods arent a problem anymore but my bladder is. I have also gained a lot of weight in two months since the surgery.
Has anyone else had an endometrial ablation or any similar reactions?
My obgyn doesnt seem to be very intersted since the procedure was done.
I had that surgery done about 8-9 months ago.  I had issues afterward also.  
Did your doc tell you before hand that you can have damage caused to organs around your uterus.  It is rare but it can happen.  I ended up having my uterus completely removed two months later because after I had novasure done, my hormones went nuts.  
There are side effects to having it done, and since it is fairly new, they do it differently then they use to.  That surgery helped my periods out a little, but I was the lucky one that still had periods afterward.
hey..what side effects did you have that made you get your uterus removed?  I have the ablation done a few months ago amd now I think I am having HOT FLASHES...which is crazy..maybe I am going crazy....
I was very happy to see these posts about NovaSure.  I had it done in August 2008 and have had a number of problems since then, that my doctors tell me are not because of the procedure.  I don't believe it.  No periods since the op but I have apparently entered and completed menopause in less than 2 years.  Coincidence?  I'm 48 and I don't know anyone else who has gone through menopause that quickly.  My doctors said that the procedure had absolutely no effect on my hormones since the endometrium is the only area affected.  But I found out in my own research, as I was gaining weight quickly and feeling hot all the time, that the endometrium actually does produce a little estrogen itself.  And that estrogen is also produced by belly fat cells that kick into gear when you go through menopause, in order to protect you from bone loss when your cycle no longer does.  So in less than 2 years I have enjoyed a period-free lifestyle while blowing up like a blimp, eating less, working out more, and being told I should see a nutritionist.  Oh, and my cholesterol is at an all-time high, so I'm getting ready to go on mecidine for that, and I had the first high-blood pressure reading.of my life post-procedure.  Meanwhile the doctors still say the NovaSure had nothing to do with my changes, but I had blood tests done in October and all the female hormone levels indicated I am postmenopausal now.  If you're considering having NovaSure, think carefully about how you'll work with these changes if they happen to you.  And I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience what, if anything, has helped.  
Hello, i was so relieved to learn you too had weight gain. I had the procedure 8 weeks ago and i am 48 years old. I have had tenderness and pain in the Fallopian tubes and uterus (almost like a 'pulling' or 'drawing-in' effect). However, my main concern is that i am putting on pounds at such a rapid rate. I also feel like i could just explode emotionally. Last week my nipples were so sore i could not even touch them.
So, i am gathering that my body has been pushed into menopause?
Is there anyway to prevent the weight gain or extreme tension/anxiety?
Thanks so much!!!
About a week and half ago, i had the novasure surgery and i didn't do research like i should've. LADIES PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH! All i was thinking about was the lighter periods or no periods at all..which was stupid. DO YOUR RESEARCH & ASK QUESTIONS! I had sex with my mate of 30 years that always stimulates me. When we started out and i had no feeling at all from the waist down, i knew something was wrong. This man makes me hot just by looking at him. I figured something had to be wrong. Then, i started thinking about it may be side effects that deal with lack of sex drive. DON'T END UP IN DIVORCE OR A MAJOR BREAKUP, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Ok you have scared me!!!! I am scheduled to have the ablation next friday. I have a question...did your feeling eventually come back? How is your sex drive now?

***@****
I just had it done 4/26/2012, I have Zero complaints so far. Sex life is even better, no periods, hightened sensitivity and now my emotions are under control. My breast have gotten a little bigger but thats not a big deal. I recommend novasure. Ill take it any day over 20day long periods, clots and cramps
Im happy to say that I have been period free since my procedure on 9/7/2012,...BUT my pelvic hurts when i walk sometimes,.I wonder why??
I am 26 and I had the procedure in October 2012 and My hips and pelvic area have hurt ever since. I asked my doc about it about 2 weeks after the procedure but he said it was normal, because of the way they had to tilt my pelvis.I haven't had a period since then.  My concern is my hormones....I am very moody. I get very sensitive and will cry at the drop of a hat! I hate it! I have a 6 year old who is disabled and that alone is tough, but I feel depressed. I have also gained about 10 pounds! And that's just not me. I am always going, and running around like crazy. I really think the surgery has caused all of this.. I haven't had a chance to speak to my Doc. yet . ( My husband and I lost our insurance) :(  
Hi. Had the Novasure procedure about 4 years ago when I was 44 years old. Wish I had N.E.V.E.R. done it! I did not do my homework, but instead listened to my GYNO who said I needed it due to fibroids and heavy period. I should have used my woman's intuition when he was rushing me to try to get me in and telling me I needed it right away. He wanted to do it the following week. Now I believe he was only thinking about the $$. Directly after the surgery, I had issues, but old doc had left the scene of the crime by then because the nurses could not locate him and he finally called back about 3 hours later to say it was no big deal and that I would be fine. That night I had a high temperature of about 103 and he seemed upset that I was on my way back to the hospital (which I had been instructed to do by him if I got a high fever over 102!). I think that he just did not want to have to leave his home at 11pm at night. I ended up not going because the ER was so full of people that I went back home, hubby gave me ibuprofen and a cold compress and I eventually fell asleep. The next day, no fever but very tired. No surprisingly I no longer see that doctor. I quickly dropped him after that procedure. I was referred to him by my PCP. I wish I had just said a resounding 'NO' when presented with the option. I would rather have toughed out the heavy bleeding for a while longer. I am still gaining weight and hardly recognize my once smaller body. I workout 4 days a week, eat very healthy, am a vegan and make sure I get my protein. I don't know what else to do. Extremely frustrating as most of you on this board seem to feel as well. I feel bad for all of us who are suffering with the aftermath of Novasure or any other type of vaginal ablation. Many blessings to you guys.
I agree wholeheartedly!! I didn't do my research, trusted my gyno that this would be a "no brainer" procedure, and have had NOTHING but complications since. I feel totally menopausal. Extremely emotional. (haven't been emotional like this since i was a teenager), and having hot flashes and night sweats. And when i went to have sex with my man (who for ten years turns me on just by looking at him and i've never ever NOT wanted to have sex with him), i burst out into a CRAZY laughter because i was so dry (I am always very wet - sorry to be so graphic). I felt so embarrassed. It felt like the most unnatural thing in the world. Then after working at it (I felt so squishy and OLD), i BURST into tears because i knew that something was very very wrong. I feel DEVASTATED. My doctors do not seem to care about how this affects our sex lives. They think that it is not important to women, but it certainly is to me. So thank-you so much for your post. Has this improved???!?!?!?!??!
I had Novasure done 3 and 1/2 mths ago and have been thorough a lot of changes since, hot flashes, night sweats, I cramp in my ovaries and pelvis all the month long just as if I'm fixing to start my cycle, even the week right after it ends, but the one that is affecting my life and family is the emotional roller coaster that I am on! I am so edgy and irritable I can't hardly live with myself! My mood swings are uncontrollable.I cry easily,and I am feeling down a lot. Anyone else had hormonal or emotional side affects?  
I had my Nova Sure ablation done May 2011. I got sent straight into Post-Menopause. My body has changed significantly, my hair has fallen out, my skin sagging on my face, mood swings, all kinds of problems. I had blood test done and I have results that show I am Post-Menopause. I am 47 years old and had it done 3 years ago. So, your not alone. I absolutely believe its the Nova Sure. I would love to be able to sue them for sending me into Post Menopuase so fast and losing 75% of my beautiful hair which has mentally destroyed me.
Ladies - I am sorry you are suffering from the fall-out of this damaging procedure. I was railroaded into another gyn procedure (hysterectomy) and I have been appalled by the tricks they use to get women to succumb to damaging gyn procedures - ablation, hysterectomy, tubal sterilization. Their newest marketing gimmick is the da Vinci robot. There are studies that show the harm of these procedures but most gynecologists do not tell their patients. All they seem to care about are the $$$ and the feeling of power.

If only I had listened to my intuition instead of my gynecologist of 20 years, I would still be intact. He destroyed every aspect of my appearance and my life. Like you Jodi775, I have lost 75% of my hair and my skin sags. And that just scratches the surface...I have a whole laundry list of problems caused by this surgery.

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to get justice for "lack of informed consent." However, you all who had the Novasure in the U.S. could try filing an adverse event with the FDA. They used to only allow providers to do that but they now have a separate process to allow consumers to file. I urge you to take action. We have to stop unscrupulous doctors.
I had Novasure a day ago, so far light cramping, no bleeding or discharge that my Dr. said I may have. I slept most of the day. Hours later while at home I noticed my breast were fuller and heavier whish is not a problem. I hate to hear all you guys horror story. Not many have anything positive to say, therefor,  hope in the future my will be a success.