Nuva Ring, Diaphragms and Vaginal Muscle Tightness

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have terrible break-through bleeding (and sometimes thrush) when I use oral contraceptives. I've tried about five different brands, to no avail, I still end up bleeding at least half of the month. Last year I tried Nuvaring (the vaginal ring that secretes hormones through your vaginal wall) for a few months and had none of my usual side-effects.

However, I found that sex became really uncomfortable (I removed the ring for intercourse, which you're allowed to do, but it made no difference), my vagina felt incredibly tight, thrusting was virtually impossible and I actually got a small split in the wall of my vagina. So, I stopped using Nuvaring (what's the point of contraception if you can't have sex?).

I'm considering trying a barrier method of contraception and I'm worried I might have the same problem with diaphragms that I did with the Nuvaring. Or is that unlikely because diaphragms are not inside you all the time? The Nuvaring is made out of very inflexible plastic, are diaphragms more flexible than this? (I don't know anyone who uses one but I seem to remember their rim is kind of similar looking.)
Dee1956 commented on Saw the babies again ...
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on hansen20's status
KTowne commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals