Nuva Ring, Mood Reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Nuva Ring, Mood Reaction

I am considering switching from the pill to Nuva Ring, however much of the research I have been doing on nuva ring has turned up mixed reactions.  While I understand that this is true for any medication, I still have questions I can't find the answers to.  My biggest concern is the effect of nuva ring on emotional stability.  Of course, the company's website warns that mood swings are a possible side effect (I think that is a side effect for any form of hormonal birth control).  What I would like to know is whether the nuva ring is more likely to cause negative emotional side effects than the pill is.  I have heard mixed reviews, some people emotionally crash on it and others notice nothing; is this just something I am going to have to buckle down and test for a month?  If so, how do I monitor my own side effects to decide if it is having a negative effect on me?  
personally the nuva ring did not affect my mood so much(although i did suffer depression, but i know it was my mother-in-law that caused it(triggered)), but the patch....that made me CRAZY!
I've only been on Nuva Ring for a month and I have had extreme emotional changes not disression but agitationggr
i also had terrible side effects.  i had to stop taking it.  The extreme emotional (psycho) side effects went away immediately.  I haven't been able to tolerate any birth control though.  When i first tried the nuva ring, the doctor told me, it didn't have side effects. I think it was less than a week that I lost my mind as was ready to divorce my husband.   I also had really horrible leg pain and couldn't even walk.  The Nurse I told about the leg pain said it couldn't be from the Nuva ring.  However, as I removed it, within hours I felt fine.  

Later on, when I went to a "different" doctor..........she told me that the nuva ring was indeed capable of causing these problems.  
Oh my goodness! I have been on the ring for 3 months and i get terrible mood swings, I don'tfeel like doing anything, I think my boyfriend is cheating on me, I am sad, irritable, sexual appetite has decreased, i'm dry, it's just horrible. i also have tingling on my right arm and leg pains. I'm going to my GYNO on Tuesday to talk about which pill would be better. Any suggestions? I've tried YAz..not good nor Ortho-tri, nor Loestrin...I need help =(
I've been on the Nuva Ring for a year and at first i didnt' get any side effects but maybe 3-4 months ago ive had terrible mood swings, i feel very depressed, mayor loss of hair, i also got a tingling on my right arm and currently experience leg pain..often get headaches, weight gain, breast enlargement, spotty darkening of my skin (face). I'm getting off the Nuva Ring this month. I don't recommend it!
I was on the Nuvaring for 3 months and I WOULD NOT recommend it, especially if you have a history of depression. The Nuvaring turned me into a psycho, constantly crying for no reason sometimes. I had suicidal thoughts, feelings of worthlessness. I was just insane. I took it out today and said goodbye to all the madness.I don't know if it's just a mind thing, but I feel chipper already. It's convenient but it's not worth the pain. I think it's sad docs are so ready to recommend it without revealing ALL the side effects. I'll be going back to Alesse thank you! I guess I'll just have to be more disciplined.
I do not recommend Nuvaring.  I am a very level headed person, but this made me very unstable over the littlest things.  My friends even noticed it.  I felt like I was a caged animal.  I have been off of it since Dec, 31 (it is now Jan 21).  I feel like a new person. (or the one that I use to be).  Now on the other hand, I am having pregancy syptoms (symptoms). ie Sore breast, light headed, need to pee a lot.  I had Novasure done about a year go, but still have very light periods.  I took a test, which came back negitive.  My period is not due until the 28th.  I will take another one then.  Does anyone know anyone who got pregant after Novasure?
I hated the ring .. it would not stay in me ...
I started the nuva ring around 3 months ago. I'm a super nice, easy going person but recently I began to hate everyone, especially my mom (probably becuase she was triggering my emotions). Things would just annoy me soo much i would just snap and I would just rant to my twin. She noticed and stopped talking or would walk away. I didnt even notice. I just got more and more aggitated. Then she said it might be my birth control, I took it out and I was chipper again maybe after a day. So Don't start the ring. Try something else.
I am 20 yrs old and currently wanting badly to get off Nuvaring... i thought since I couldn't remember to take a pill everyday this would be a good move, but I've admittedly turned into a complete ***** when it comes to my boyfriend. I stay angry, every little thing he does irritates me, and although I'm so in love and attracted to him I don't want to have sex with him anymore what-so-ever. There are also a few lawsuits against Nuvaring at the moment and they are trying to recall it- just say NO!
I have being married to wife for many years now and like any marriage we had our ups and downs but the last six months it has being hell for all of us. I know I make mistakes but everything I do to resolve problem does not seem to work for too long or not at all. I have been banging my head to figure out why my wife is constantly mad at me and kids. I really glad I found this site but now my challenge is to find a way to make her believe the Nuva Ring is causing her moods swing. Can anybody suggest a manner in which I can get her to read your comments or to believe me in a manner which won’t set her off?
Hey everyone, I am so excited that I 'happened' upon this web site. I say happend because I typed in something regarding nuva ring and my sex drive, and here I am. Anyhow, I have been inserting the nuva ring for about 3 years. About a year ago, I really took notice of the emotional unstableness I started to experience during the 2nd week of having it inserted. I visited my GYN and she just prescribed depression medicine and sent me on my way. Well I knew that I wasn't feeling 'depressed' any other time than the second week of the nuva ring being in me. Well, needless to say, I flushed the depression medication and I guess because I knew when to expect the emotional destress and I felt like I knew what caused it, I could control my mood swings a little better. I'm really flabbergasted, (yes I said flabbergasted) that I ran across this page because I doubted myself here and there, but now I know to leave the nuva ring alone! Thanks to all the ladies who shared because you all helped me to know just what is really going on. I love my man and I think he was starting suspect that he didn't have the right tool..If you know what I mean!
I have been on the ring for about a year. My bf went on deployment and while he was gone I took it out (for 3 months) I automatically notced the difference. I hadn't realized how manic it was making me until I stopped. Now he is on his way home so I put it in less than 5 days ago and I am going CRAZY. I am having these ridiculous mood swing problems as well. IT IS INSANE, I seriously feel manic. My man didn't call me today and I cannot handle it. I have been in a rage and also been crying off an on. The whole time he was gone I was not this emotionally unstable. I really want to go off of it and I think I am just going to go back to condoms. There hasn't been a BC that I have found which has worked for me. The only one that seemed viable was paragaurd because it has no hormones but I read a lot of really scary testimonials about it.

Maybe a diaphram? I'm not sure but if you don't want to be that crazy gf, don't go on the ring.
also I lost ALL and any want to drink any alcohol ever. I couldn't even force myself to drink. I was so not fun and negative all the time :(
I have been on the nuvaring for one year. I only got on it to prevent breast pain during pms. I am fixed so not worried about getting pregnant. I am married for 13 years....and on nuvaring..no action whatsoever!  I have been off of it for about 2 weeks...and finally feel as tho i got my groove back.  I also experienced no alcohol consumption or the want to, now that i am reading other posts. I cant wait to get back to the old me. On the nuvaring, one thing for sure, if it is the week before your period, take notice of the mood swings and try not to be mean, just notice how you feel that week. I only liked it because i didnt have to take a pill daily. but the effects in long run could end a relationship if you never ever have the want or need for sex, i mean come on doctors, there is got to be another way....Im off of it for good. Good luck ladies...Just say No to Nuvaring!
I have been on Nuva Ring for 4 months now and the first month was PERFECT!  Now I am 10 lbs heavier, (still eating and exercising the same) and cry all of the time.  I haven't wanted to even look at my hubby in four days because I get angry and upset for NOTHING and I'll start crying, then eating, then I'll feel bad about myself and cry again!  The moment I take the ring out on the 4th week to start my period, I feel like a million bucks.  I have no mood swings or anger towards anyone and I am thankful for everything I have.  I feel like I'm psychotic or something worst.  I don't care if my doctor told me that she's never seen any bad effects with the nuva ring, it's obvious and it's getting out of me today!
I had an allergic reaction to the nuvaring within 24 hours of putting it in I was swollen shut!  It hurt so bad I could barely walk, I took it out and within a few days the pain went away but when i told my doctor he said that wasn't possible.  so I gave it a few months and tried again and again within 24 hours I was swollen shut and in excruciating pain oh yeah and that time it was our wedding night!!!  needless to say thanks to the nuvaring our honeymoon was delayed two days!
no mood swings though I didn't give it that long
I am so glad i found this site, i felt a little crazy when i was going out with my now ex. we had been best friends before for years but when we started going out things jsut went horribly wrong. i didnt think in the slightest it might be because of n ring. i had tried a few different pills year ago and none were bareable, i always had terrible side effect including mood swings. we broke up last sept. i am still over sensitive and crying for no reason ALOT. i put it down to the break up but i know i dont want to be with him and am not crying as i want to get back with him. i spoke to my sister who is a nurse the other night when i was upset, she asked if i thought it might be because of NR. i had started taking it just as we started going out. now i am wondering if it is?? could this all be as simple as me not realising that NR was the problem??!! i will certainly try and see after reading all of these...as I haven't stop taking it yet......
I am also glad I found this site!  I have been having an extremely hard time with birth control pills and legit feel like a crazy person/manic depressive and I haven't known why, I figured it was just being in a relationship! But then I realized that every time I was in a relationship I was on the Pill and every time I was not in a relationship I was not on it, and I felt NORMAL. I'm so glad I realized that the pill was making me crazy and incredibly sensitive, I just stopped taking Loestrin FE because I have truly had enough of my ridiculous behavior, so I was looking at different options such as Nuvaring.  After reading all of these post I am ready to quit on hormonal BC all together and just start using condoms with my boyfriend as much as I hate them.  Although the hormones gave me great boobs and no worries when it came to sex, I'd rather be sane and easy going again! Thanks everyone!
I inserted the ring on 5/27/10, took it out on 6/11/10.  I also had been experiencing tingling and/or numbness in my left arm which I felt was weird but not alarming enough to go to the doctor.  Worse than that is that I've been acting like a complete psycho and could possibly be on the verge of a divorce.  I've also been yelling at my 4 year old daughter like we're on jerry springer or something. tsk tsk.  Anyway, I took the ring out about 8 hours ago and I honestly beleive I feel more calm already.  
Thank god I found this site...I used nuvaring for over a year, the first 8 months were awesome-no side effects. The last 4 were the worst of my life, it made me absolutely insane, crying for no reason, getting mad at everyone and everything, depressed, even thoughts of suicide. I took the ring out because everything in my life was perfect, great job, great boyfriend. I really had no reason to be depressed or upset, literally the next day after taking it out I felt better! Stupidly enough I tried to go back on it about 2 weeks ago and I'm back in the same boat again-I have been hysterical all day for no reason! I'm going back to the doctor this afternoon to try and work on an alternative. Also, yesterday I noticed my left leg tingling like it was asleep but it wouldn't go away no matter how much I moved it, maybe it had something to do with the ring? Thank you all for sharing your stories and giving me some reassurement that I'm not some lunatic!
I began taking NuvaRing May 24th due to trying a new method of birth control since I cannot remeber to take the pill everyday. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. I have however for over a week now been complaining of my left hand and foot being numb. They feel like they are asleep and are freezing. I just went to a chiropractor on Thursday thinking I may have a pinched nerve and needed adjusted and then to a homeopath yesterday. I didn't sleep well at all and have been a worry wort knowing something is not right. I went on vacation last month and hit my head hard on metal on a boating venture and right after my hand went numb. I thought this may be related just slowly coming forth full on. It has gotten worse each day and today it is up to my armpit and I can't take it anymore. I came home and was talking about it again with my boyfriend and he mentioned maybe the new BC. I took out the patient perscription information and read the tingly left side and decided to google the side effects. My arm feels almost dead like its just there....not normal at all. After reading all of these posts I removed it immediately and am waiting to call the Dr's in the morning. I hope this feeling goes away because I have vacation at the end of the week.
                                                                                          Sincerely,
                                                                    No longer a NuvaRing user!
You might consider copper IUD.  Old-fashioned yes, but hormone-free.  Just cost me a copay of $25 to get it deployed.  
I have been doing the nuva ring for 2 years, and JUST put it together!  I am 27, married for almost 8 years, and have a 1, 3, and 5 year old.  When my husband was in Iraq and came home for R&R I went on the mini pill, and went nuts!  After he was back for good, I thought N Ring because I would forget the pill every day, and thought that a slow steady stream of hormons would be better then one big jolt every day.  NOT TRUE.  I am yelling at my kids all the time, and when my husband gets home from work, I get a break.  He takes them for the rest of the night - tubs them, gets them to bed.  

Im thinking I get all the yelling out during the day, so by the time he gets home, Im tired out.  I cant help it - I SNAP.  Im on my off week, and after reading this web site, Im going to talk to him about doing something natural.  I have a few friends who went through the same thing - and have swiched to "Honoring Our Cycles", by Katie Singer.  Its very involved, but would be worth it for my kids sake.  I feel mad all the time........

~Grouchy Mom
I turned into a crazy person, very unstable and depressed. I dented my dishwasher with a swift kick when my daughter forgot to empty it. Goodbye nuvaring
I took nuvaring and didn't experience side effects until about 7months in.  I woke up with a streak of light in the vision of my right eye.  I knew right away it was the ring.  So I took it out immediately, the light went away after 3days.  Then, 2wks after stopping the ring, more trouble arose.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible pain in the inner elbow of my left arm, and had pain and tingling and numbness in my left lower leg and hand as well.  My heart was pounding out of my chest and I had a bad headache.  I stood up and nearly fell down, and had nausea.  I thought I was having a heart attack and called 911, the emt's thought it was just a panic attack.  I suggested it may be symptoms from the nuvaring I had been taking, they all disagreed and told me I was having a panic attack.  I thought I was crazy until I found this website and see other people have had the same signs and symptoms.  Oh and not to mention I gained 10lbs in 7months, and prior to taking the ring I hadnt gained a pound in more than 5yrs. I think nuvaring is extremely dangerous and would not recommend anyone try it.  My question is is there anyone else out there who is still experiencing side effects even after stopping the nuvaring?  And how long does it take for the numbness and tingling to stop in your left arm and leg, it is quite annoying and not to mention scary.
I started noticing emotional side effects at 2 months. I was very emotional, had anxiety and became very embarrassed at the smallest things. At work I started avoiding people and didn't want to be social, at home I was moody and always wanted to be by myself. Now that I found this website I know its not the normal me and am going to stop using Nuva Ring. I also started getting severe headaches that I couldn't get rid of only a couple days after I first started. I also notice a lot more discharge while on Nuva Ring, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Nuva ring contains the same kind of hormones as the traditional pil and hence you can expect the same kind of effects. Emotional instability, loss of libido, headaches are among them.
Wow, I thought I was crazy however this forum confirms my suspision that the Nuva Ring is causing me to become an emotional monster!

I can cry at the drop of a dime all the time, after my second insert of the ring I woke up with an altered vision in my left eye and a stabbing headache in my right temple, hate my BF (who is now my ex), and the littlest comment/remark or laugh from him set me off in a rage, sex life b4 the breakup was maybe once every 2 weeks. This is not my normal temperment.

Now that I am single the ring is in the garbage, hopefully I regain my sanity soon. It is not worth sacrifising my mental wellbeing, guess it is condoms from now on! Im not pumping myself full of drugs anymore, there has to be something out there for women to be safe and sane.
I just got off the nuva ring two sundays ago and have had excrutiating headaches. It is of great relief that others have felt this way; I've been to the neurologist and am currently on an anti-anxiety and Fiorecet for the pain but my actual question is... Is there an end in sight to these headaches? I was on it for about 1.5 ys and my body is mad at me!
Although I've been on the NR for awhile on and off, I came online to do a search. It is the week before my period and I am definitely extremely sad and paranoid (in regards to my relationship) and this shouldn't be normal feelings. I also notice headaches and the other day I had an intense spasm in my inner left thigh and had no idea what triggered it. I'm starting to believe my mood swings, that are potentially ruining my new relationship, is due to the NR in addition to the headaches and the new leg pain. I also notice I am dryer but I thought that was attributed to getting older. I used to love NR because the pill was making me vomit and I didn't have to remember to take it everyday. However, all of these side effects and the amount of negative feelings toward the NR on this site make me believe I should not be using it anymore.
wow I have the exact same symptoms! I started nuvaring on the first friday in june. Since then I have gone through hell emotionally and mentally mostly. I've only been married a year and since ive been on the ring Ive threatened divorce a handful of times. Im crying for no reason, im very sensitive, I get mad at my husband for EVERYTHING! But i notice when im off the ring during that one week im loving and caring, I love life, i see things differently, but the min that week is over and I have to put it back in I go right back into feeling like depressed, never wanting to do much, always thinking the worst about my husband! I become the worst mother and wife in the world. Ive been through a whole lot of different kinds of birthcontrol and I thought nuvaring was the one for me. But im seeing it now that its not. that im going to end up divorced and alone if I keep this up. I don't know what to do. we don't want another child right now. I don't want to get off bc right away. i wish there was a birth control that I could take that would just go with me.
Hi everyone... I am glad that i've read all of your reviews, because i have really been considering nuva ring, but now I am thinking i probably shouldn't. I am so angy that women have to deal with these life changing effects, and doctors don't even warn them about these side effects. I have been on ortho-tricyclen lo and loestrin 24 and had all the same symptoms... depression, anxiety, panic attacks, headaches, hair loss, weight gain. My doctor said nuva ring would be better but I don't believe her. The worst for me is the emotional issues. When it's happening, it's hard to believe that it's the pill causing it, and that you're maybe not actually going crazy. I guess some women can handle it and some can't. What is want to know, is there any other options? Has anyone considered trying an IUD? I'm 25 and might consider having children in the next five years, but I don't want to get pregnant anytime soon. also... i'm sure that everyone can agree that it's no fun going back to condoms... :( any advice?
I love my Nuvaring. I have been on it for 8 years with minimal problems. Yes, I get an occasional migraine, but I usually control them with diet, no red wine, red onions or products containing sulfer. I have also experienced the occasional tingling legs and arms and have learned to deal with it by doing yoga or stretching. These side effects are minor compared to the excruciating cramps I used to get when I was not on medicine and the fear created by a missed or late pill. The sideeffects are also very predictable for me just as PMS should be when not on medicine. I get them at the start of my 3rd week and they last about 3-4 days.
I have been on the nuva ring for almost 3 years now, but about 6 months ago i started noticing that a few days before i take out my ring and the first day i take out my ring i have the worst mood swings. I cry for no reason at all then 20 mins later i fell like biting someones head off it horrible. So im contacting my OBGYN  to change birth control soon!
Hahaha I HATE Nuvaring. I had it on little more than a week before I took it off. I had HORRIBLE mood swings. My bf was never a great guy but I used to be able to stand him and would hold all my emotions and fake a smile just so I don't elevate any problems we had but Nuvaring made me scream all those suppressed emotions out! Hahaha I ended up breaking up with him and taking the ring out which had also caused horrible leg pains and a lot of discharge :/... So I don't recommend it but it did me good coz I got the guts to break it off with my guy. Few months later, he came back begging to have me again hahaha...
Well I have just started my second month with Nuvaring. Surprisingly enough, I had no side effects at all when I am on it for 3 weeks unlike the pills that made me suicidal on the third day.But on the day I took off the ring, my mood changed suddenly within hours and for the rest of the week I cried more or less 3 hours a day, even could not communicate with a single human being, decided a place for my suicide (I was really serious). But yesterday I started the second ring and guess what all sorrows, thoughts of self-pity and self-hate were gone. I will talk with my Gyno next month so I just wondered if any of you had something similar.. Still I find it better than pills..
I got back on Nuvuring 2 months ago after taking a 4 month break from it. I did experience problems when on it months before(leg cramping,some mood swings,lack of sex drive) but I really needed to get back on  to regulate periods. Although I didn't experience the leg cramps anymore when I started it back up, the mood swings were out of control. Still no sex drive,refused to be touched by husband,severely agitated all the time and sleepless nights. Removing ASAP and never looking back.
I switched from Microgestfin Fe 1.5 after finally realizing it caused massive hair loss and most likely terrible night sweats among the most severe problems. I was skeptical about Nuvaring just because its application doesn't appeal to me, but the ease of no pills was appealing. I put it in on Sunday morning and by the end of the night I was sobbing uncontrollably. Since I'm prone to anxiety I thought I was just overreacting and attributed it to just "being off" and needing to suck it up! But the next few days were just as bad. I have a happy, wonderful life that has been pretty free of depression for the past year now. But since the Nuvaring I've been a sobbing mess. I am certain it is Nuvaring and so until I go to the doctor's tomorrow I just tell myself, "these feelings aren't real." It helps some. I did call my OB and inform her of a) being an emotional mess and b) the complete lack of sex drive/inability to become aroused. The Dr. confirmed these are "common side effects." I think some of us are just more sensitive to hormonal contraception than the majority of women. This Dr. was the only one that clued me into this fact when she pointed out the issues with the aforementioned Microgestin. The rapid acceptance of birth control, in my opinion, hinders the reality that these methods are screwing with your biology. There is a reason pregnant women are referred to as "hormonal." Well, why don't doctors discuss how birth control really is about hormones and how they effect mood? It's unbelievable how this is not discussed at length. We need to be better informed of the effects of these things, and less willing to just take what our doctors tell us. The side effects I've experienced are frightening and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't mean to alarm anybody, but honestly, I just don't want anyone to have to go through this. I've only been using this for four days now and it is, so it's a very quick reaction. Listen to your instincts ladies. Your mental health is important.
I was on the nuva ring for 8 months...tried to ignore the obvious mood swings...until last night I had a complete meltdown out of nowhere! All my friends and boyfriend were telling me how much I've changed and how I should not be on it but t was so easy to ignore! Took it out this morning...hoping to feel better soon!!! Thanks for all the posts above! Made me feel like I'm not the only one who got pushed over the edge from this dumb thing!!!! Now time to talk to my doctor about a Better pill option
I'm done too. I've been on the ring for 4 months now. I started dating my bf a few weeks before and everything was wonderful. I started becoming very moody and wanted to be alone all the time. I started getting upset over the stupidist of things and yelling at my kids for no reason. After yet another left field mood swing last night, I decided to do some research. All this time I've been blaming our relationship when it was really the ring. Hopefully, my life can return to normal now.
I have been on this for only a few days and i know I am going home and taking this out asap after reading this...i thought maybe it would just take some time and getting use to??...Not the case.  I have been so up and down crying over everything - angry, irritable...can you say emotional overload? They must have had MEN testing this.  :)  Also going through a break up so this didn't help one bit.  Thanks yall for posting!!
Just thought I would share my hellish experience with the NuvaRing! I took it out yesterday.

-Extreme eye pain and dryness
-Extreme fatigue the first month
-Muscle pain and weakness and spasms
-Numbness in my left arm
-Extreme hair loss
-Headaches

I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I became a little *itchy, but not severe mood swings that I have experienced with other bc. My sex dry was normal. I did have more vaginal discharge but I didn't see that as a big deal. Since the horrible side effects I was experiencing were not listed on the website or in the directions I didn't attribute it to the ring. I did some research and sure enough, nuva ring causes these distressing side effects! I thought there was something seriously wrong with and was going crazy! I will never go on a hormonal birth control again.

And I really hope these side effects go away soon. =[
I starded nuva ring maybe 4 months ago....im so relieved i found this site.... im sure it was arround 4 months ago that i started having back pain, and it seems it is getting worse it seems to be moving down my hip to leg...... i dont know if maybe i hurt my self..... has anyone experienced back pain? I, also like aneetv79 have been experience crazy mood swings and i feel like im literally loosing my mind i also think my boyfriend is cheating or lieing or up to something.......... i feel relieved because ive never felt this way before.... time to change my birthcontrol
I was only in NuvaRing not even a month and I called my wedding off :-(. Don't think it was just the ring , but I have become the most nasty person ever on it!  I am yelling and mad all the time, everyone & everything annoys me...it's horrible.  Heading back to my ob tomorrow
Found this site and will remove my ring tonight.  I thought I was literally going nuts.  Just the other day I was SO aggitated, I had to leave the room.  My husband even noticed a difference in me.  I've been depressed, angry, tired, etc.  my physical symptoms range from dryness and some pretty severe itching.  I've also experienced swelling my my right hand and foot as well as numbness.  I also have severe hot flashes and night sweats.  Just recently my back and head have been aching.  I'm only 31!

I've been on the NR for four months!
I have been on the ring for about a month now and my emotions are CRAZY.. I seriously thought I was loosing my mind .. I freak out on my boyfriend my family n friends drive me insane and Im sad all the time and I cry over stupid things I would normally brush off im normally fun n happy lately ive been the complete opposit rite when me and my boyfriend got together i went on it and were about to brake up basically because of me! I took it out today and after reading all these posts im sure ill be right back to myself allthough my boyfriend probably thinks im bi polar lol
Nuvaring ruined my life, and my relationship. I completely lost it one day and broke off my relationship, and freaked out on everyone I knew. Ever since I finally decided to take it out, I have felt better and better ever since. It made me so unbelievably depressed and so unhappy. I do not recommend this to anyone. I wish men and doctors had a better understanding of how horrible this can make a woman feel.
OMG I finally took out the nuvaring today....I am known for being a happy fun person but turned into a psycho ***** right away!! I thought at first it would go away after a No the or so....but nooo....it only worsened into depression. I hated life, felt worthless at times, blew up, cried for no reason, found reasons to ***** OMG it was horrible. Nobody told me ANY of this. I've only Just been reading about this morning, thank you everybody for ur comments-so I'm actually NOT crazy....it was just that ring!! I think my boyfriend hates the ring too by the way...I totally changed and discourage everyone from this ring!! Aaaaahhh! Anyone recommended a certain type if condoms...?? LOL(;
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing these nasty side effects. I am using the nuvaring and I feel like ripping peoples heads off over simple things. I have anxiety. One minute I'm crying next I'm mad....its crazy. Don't do this to yourself. Its pretty bad I'm a nicer person ON MY PERIOD when that thing is out of me...I have to make an appointment with my gyn to get off this....I hate it.
Wow. Glad to know I'm not the only one! I've liked the ease of the Nuva ring, and it's really helped my migraines. However, I'm into my 4th month with it, & I've been crazy emotional. Completely out of character for me. Working out vigorously and regularly helps, but still way too moody for how much time I've clocked into the gym recently.
Okay, so I have not been on NuvaRing, but I already have severe depression and I've also read a lot on it from where I was prescribed it. I'm suppose to start in the next week or so and I'm really scared. I don't want to get any of these side effects, I didn't experience them on the pill, but I had to get off them from gallbladder purposes... It also scares me that so many women are experiencing these symptoms. ://
I don't know what to do.
I was using Low-ogestrelfor over a year,in March i started using the nuvaring,and een when everybody says they dont feel it sometimes during my day after sitting for a while it feels like it is moving.I been going through allot of things for the last month emptionally and feel down and,feeling super sad been crying everyday lately
I was only on the NR for about a month and a half, but it turned me into a monster. I was having anxiety attacks, breast tenderness, weight gain, vaginal itch & discharge, tingling in my arm, depression & crazy mood swings, very angry/irritable, short term memory feels like its gone, crying spells, tiredness. As some of you have said, the week I was off of the ring for my period I felt great, I want content in my relationship and couldn't figure out why I had been unhappy/crazy at all other times. Now my relationship is ruined because of one of my meltdowns. I was irritated by everything my boyfriend did until I was off of it for my period and I was so happy and loving that week. I had a chance to be with someone amazing and now it feels like I have destroyed everything. It turned me into a complete b**** which is the opposite of how I normally am. I'm usually pretty calm, and sure, I do get moody occasionally, but never to the extremes I had been feeling while on the ring. I had two doctors push the ring at me as an alternative to birth control pills even though I wanted the patch and I completely regret listening to them. If you do decide to try the ring, take note of all the possible symptoms and monitor yourself carefully. I had no idea that all of the physical and mental issues I was having could be from one source. I'm glad I figured it out and will never use it agian.
Holy smokes thank goodness for this website.

I have been pushing away as many friends as possible, sometimes feel like I want to punch the kids I work with, have no sex drive or desire to date, don't enjoy drinking any alcohol and if i do I get super negative.  I offend people regularly, feel like I have already lost friends or said things that were inappropriate.  I keep waiting for the side effects to go away because I know that they do - but in the meantime I am in hell.  The doctor thinks I am being crazy, but that's because i feel it. I have had severe pain in my right knee that went away for the three weeks that I was in Hawaii, I could never figure out why - but while i was there I took out the ring for part of the time I was there ... I am curious how it will change when I go off it again. I am going to a naturopath to see if they have any suggestions, as the doctor wants to put me on lithium for manic!! seriously doc, chill out, hormones are complicated!  
I was on Nuvaring for about 3 months. I liked how easy it was. I had been on a couple different birth control pills previously but switched to the nuvaring because of sexual numbness. I hoped switching to the ring would help get my libido back and I had heard it was more natural. I liked not taking a pill everyday. It did not change my libido. I have decided that I can be on bc and not want sex at all (which leads me to not have sex anyhow) or be off the bc and just be extra careful. One thing I notice after being off the nuvaring- I had developed a sense of emotionsl numbness- not in a bad way though. Nothing could upset me. I liked being very unemotional- almost disconnected (happy though). Now that I have been off the ring, I want sex again, but feel emotional. Its interesting because others say that the ring made them emotional wrecks, but it helped me be less emotional and rational. I can't decide what I want more... To want sex or to want complete rationality.
I put the Nuvaring in yesterday and have had suicidal thoughts all day. I took it out earlier and hoping it gets out of my system fast.
I have been on Nuva Ring for about 3 years now. Only the past year, I have noticed that right before I take the ring out, I go "crazy"! I am extremely moody, depressed, and anxious. It's almost like an "outer body experience" where I know that the words that are coming out of my mouth are insane, but I can't stop it. My boyfriend is becoming extemely frustrated, and has every right to  be! I feel terrible. I have also notice significant weight gain and lethargy, but i can't completely associate that with Nuva Ring! I really do like the product, just not for those few days out of the month. Any suggestions?
I've been on the NuvoRing for four years now and getting off after this menstrual cycle. This ring has legit turned me into a monster. I cry on instinct, always super emotional, depressed, anxious....Im legit crazy. I've been in a relationship for 5 years and I really don't know how my bf has made it through. I have lack of sex drive, very dry "down there" when I try to have sex even though I love him to death and very attracted to him, always angry at him, flip at the smallest things he does or says. I once got so mad at him I got out of MY car and kicked it. Who kicks their own car??? I've also been experiencing short term memory loss, random knee pains and headaches.I've done so many out of character acts and said a lot of things that I'm embarrassed about.  I can't have this birth control put a wedge in my relationship and affect my life the way it does. IM DONE!!!!!!
I had severe mood swings while using nuva ring sharp chest and abdominal pains;leg pain in my left leg; shortness of breath (easily winded); weight gain due to significant amounts of retaining fluids thats obviously cause by the usage of the drug. The leg pains I didn't understand because I don't smoke therefore there should not be a Harvard for poor circulation as they have cautioned on the box. I was ready to  either kill myself or some one else....very irate and my anxiety level was through the roof it was so bad my doctor prescribed me and anti depression/ anti anxiety med. never did she think to research the problem  and make reference to my birth control. nuva ring is convienient but dangerous.
Hi Dallas!!!  All you have to do is show her all the law suites on line just google Nuvaring lawsuits and you will see.  there are hundreds!!! This is a terrible form of birthcontrol and very dangerous.
NuvaRing literally has turned me into an unstable psycho. I'm paranoid about every move my boyfriend makes, I cry every 5 seconds for every emotion, and my life is basically a living hell and I didn't realize why. I'm taking it out right now!
I agree. show her the law suits. altho those just point out the stroke victims mainly. My fiance actually brought up that maybe I needed to go see a therapist because I wasn't the same as what I used to be. I actually ended up slapping him across the face when he got home from his bachelor party and then crying hysterically because I thought he was leaving me for good when his best man took him to his house for the night. One of the other guys ended up staying with me all night because he was afraid I wasn't emotionally stable to be alone. For the next week after this big blow up I cried over everything and got pissed to the point of screaming and throwing things. I was getting so mad at the person I love and care for the most. This all happened within the first month of being put on the ring. Today after having the ring out for over 24 hours I felt like I needed to research the side effects and found this website. I felt like a psychotic ***** the whole last two weeks. It was crazy. When I saw all of this I knew what the problem was and showed it to my fiance. If anything, just tell your wife my story. It honestly changes your whole perspecitve on things. Somehow him going to a strip club meant he didn't love me anymore and didn't want to marry me. I don't reccomend it to anyone!
I started to use the ring about 2 weeks ago and i have been crying everyday. I'll just start crying over anything. I was emotional before too but i didn't cry everyday. I don't know I dont want to jump to conclusion that its the ring because it has only been 2 weeks and my body might need to adjust to it but if I feel this way on my second month I am taking this sucker out.
* i must add that my main concern has been weight gain but i haven't notice a chance on my appetite / if anything I haven't had any.
I started Nuvaring only 4 days ago to regulate my cycle. I stayed in last night (a Saturday), and cried uncontrollably. My face and upper back started breaking out in cystic acne. When I got to work today I couldn't tolerate anyone and I was thinking dark thoughts. I just took it out and hope to be "normal" again by next week! Eff the Nuvaring!
I recently went on Nuva Ring around 2 weeks ago, and honestly it turned me psycho. At first I just had depression mood swings, but I didn't pay any mind because I thought my body might become more adapted to the hormonal change, but this morning I woke up and I couldn't even process any thoughts I was so depressed. It's like everything wrong in your life suddenly increases by 1,000,000. I didn't know if it was the Nuva Ring, or if I was really depressed so I talked to my mother and she told me that it may be all the hormones in the Nuva Ring. So I figured I would take it out to see if my moods got an better. Within the next hour I was feeling fine again! So let's just say NO MORE NUVA RING FOR THIS LITTLE CHICK!
I loved the convenience of nuvaring, but I was also having suicidal thoughts, anxiety, chest palpitations, loss of libido, insomnia and weight gain due to not having any energy!!! Thanks for listening girls. I removed mine just today after using it off an on. My significant other will have to either suffer the effects of me being a total b-word, wear a "raincoat" or enjoy having a little pitter patter around the house. I am good with the latter as opposed to suffering the way I was. Namaste.
THANK GOODNESS for this blog discussion!

I have been on NR for a year now and didn't really notice any negative side effects in the beginning of its use. I was happy with the convenience of it verses remembering the pill every single day. However, just recently I have noticed intense mood swings, getting upset over little things, and getting pissed off at my boyfriend for no reason. And when I got angry it was almost as if I had no control over my actions and not acting like myself. I put all blame on my bf when we argued and would find myself crying uncontrollably. It was CRAZY. We almost broke up but I thankfully came across this when I google searched for "NR mood swings"... after reading all these others stories I do not feel insane and I truly believe it is the NR's fault for my unstable emotions. I took it out and do not believe I will ever resort to another form of BC besides condoms. Adding artificial hormones to your body is clearly not healthy and I am appalled that doctors and BC company's do not make this issue more prevalent.

I DO NOT recommend using NuvaRing.
Your comments have been so helpful. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Because I had anxiety and depression while on the pill, my doctor encouraged me to try NuvaRing. Within the first 2 days of insertion I was experiencing severe mood swings and anxiety similar to what I felt when I was on the pill. At first I thought my body was adjusting. I couldn't believe the ring would effect me so quickly. On day 3, I freaked out on my boyfriend and broke up with him over a joke he made. Today, day 5, I felt extreme anxiety, started crying uncontrollably, and had trouble breathing. It felt like I couldn't control my emotions no matter how hard I tried. I started thinking negative things about myself, and even had thoughts of hurting myself, which has never happened before. Talk about scary! After reading the reviews here I see the ring can undoubtedly effect your thoughts and emotions, despite what docotors say. Doctors need to acknowledge these side effects and warn their patients! Needless to say, the ring is gone!! I don't know what we'll be using for birth control going forward, but anything is better than feeling like this.
Hi All, I am so glad I found this web page it has shed a lot of light!!!
I have been using the Nuva ring for about a year now and have found myself feeling very sad after a period. The littlest thing makes me cry and I have the worst temper flying off the handle over minute things. God knows how I am still engaged! I really think it is the NR I have been on all the contaception available the pill i forget, the copper IUD made my periods long, heavy and very painful and I had to come off the injection as I had been on it for 3 years and my doc told me that was the max due to it not being good for your bones. I really dont know where to turn next I cant stay like this being a tempremental monster either crying or screaming over ridiculous things I have absolutely no patience and it seems to be much worse after I have put my ring in following a period.  I suppose for some people it works but others it can cause alsorts of problems. anyone have any ideas of other options I can excercise? Thanks  
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use the nuvaring if you have any history at all of depression or anxiety. I have struggled with these in the past but have never behaved the way I did while using it. I felt like I couldn't control my own actions and I felt completely hopeless and crazy. I took it out on people I love and damaged many relationships in my life. After taking it out I had energy again and started to relax and enjoy life.

That being said, I am wondering if anyone on here has found an effective birth control that doesn't change you mentally.. any suggestions??
I'm a man reading through these posts and realizing the nuvaring is most likely the cause of my relationship deterioration. My girlfriend and I have been dating and living together for a few years.  About a year ago she switched from pills to the nuvaring.  Our relationship outside of the bedroom has always been amazing and we are completely respectful of each other.  However, I noticed that her drive has been on the decline for a while now, and couldn't help but think it was something to do with me.  She has always reassured that she finds me sexually attractive. However, I also noticed that when we do make it into bed, it's very difficult to get her into it.  Even when she does get into it, it's just not the same.  She is no longer enthusiastic about it and I feel terrible because I feel I'm forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do.  Prior to this, things were just the opposite.  She'd always initiate and even wake me I'm the middle of the night for a little fun.  Our relationship seems to be falling apart at the moment because she feels emotionless and doesn't ever want to have sex.  She tried to explain to me that she is still very much in love with me, she just lacks a lot of feelings she used to have and has no reason why.  Again, I thought it was me and that she’s just falling out of love, but this has given me hope that our problem may not even have anything to do with us. She has a lack of emotion and feelings towards everything lately and the nuvaring may be the reason my soul mate almost left me.  She will be going off the ring and hopefully it will restore her libido and emotions.  I just hope that if this is the problem, her hormones/feelings can be restored before it causes any lasting damage to our relationship.
Ive been on Nuva ring for about 4 years, maybe 5. I like that I don't have to pill it up every day. Pills I've been on before, including low dose yaz, and lo-ortho, as well as ortho tricycline have all made me a little nuts. Most of the pills affected me about a week before my period. Road rage, breaking things, etc. my step-mom pointed out the pattern.

I switched to Nuva ring bc taking a pill the same time everyday is impossible for me. I work long 12 hour shift and just not possible bc Bed time fluctuates, wake p time fluctuates, etc.  

Fast forward to now. I'm not always a psycho. 90% maybe of the time I'm totally fine. The other, I'm irritable, low tolerance, break things in a 5year old tantrum, etc. I'm always disgusted with my behavior afterwards, and even during, but it feels like I have no control. I dragged a $1400 bike across pavement scratching up some of the frame. This is a bike I very much like and have babied until that point,  I since apologized to it :) I've also thrown and destroyed a MacBook Pro that was perfectly fine once when I was upset with my boyfriend.

I'm more emo. I used to be pretty good about controlling my emotions, not crying. I hate crying.  When I'm in my lucid moments, I know my behavior is inappropriate.  Also, I used to never be dry vaginally; actually the opposite. Now, it's been this way for the past 4years. Also I have a decreased sex drive. Every  once in a while it comes back, but fades quickly and the interest is lost... Horrible.  

I spoke to my boyfriend this morning. I'm going off all bc and will use condoms. The IUD is too invasive and I've seen too many problems from it, for me.  
have you tried an iud. it is the only thing that doesnt mess with me mentally. and i have tried everything... depo, the "mini pill", the pill, nuva ring. over a course of ten years. also do you have any children?
I am in desperate need of guidance..I hate the nuvaring after 7yrs of use I am a sex less emotional wreck with constant pelvic pain, painful intercourse etc..
I can't stop using BC because I have awful breakthrough bleedings genetically..does anyone have any pill they can recommend...I though about the implanon but would rather try a pill first...the mirena is not an option since my fiancé is scared it might make me infertile. Thanks everyone!
I was on the NuvaRing for four months, maybe five and within three days I felt like I was going crazy. I figured my body would adjust but four months later my relationship is in shambles and my boyfriend swears that I am not attracted to him anymore. The very thought of him touching me disgusted me and I would go into these rages where I would be inconsolable. I would cry and yell and laugh and cry and laugh and yell and cry - its a wonder he's still with me. TODAY - I took out the ring off cycle and mentally I feel more level headed. We argued again today but it didn't end in a blow up. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, maybe its the NuvaRing but it felt good to not be so dag on emotional about EVERYTHING! More importantly, we ended our day on a great note and I can't WAIT for him to get home. ;-) Bye Bye Nuvaring.
Start by asking her if she has been happy or if she has noticed a change in the way she feels.  Chances are she has like the rest of us.  Then tell her you started doing some research because you have noticed a significant change and came across the NuvaRing Side Effects.  I didn't even make it a week on this thing.  I hope she figures it out soon becasue it will change her life!  You guys aren't alone... Good luck!
I was on the nuva ring for about 3 weeks, this week I just had a complete meltdown, a panic/anxiety attack and bawling because I literally felt like a maniac. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I had really nasty ovary pains constantly, and really awful discharge daily. It never went away. I was so mean and blew up constantly to the people I loved most. I feel so bad for my guy, having to deal with this. the nuvaring isn't worth it. My dr did not say any of the symptom's I got the nuvaring had. Im so disappointed, but I felt better instantly as soon as I took it out. Im so glad I ran into this site because I have every symptom you ladies had as well. glad to know I wasn't alone. guess its condoms for me!
I have been on the Nuvaring for 5 or 6 years now and if you asked me a year ago I would say it was awesome. I quit smoking 10 months ago because I was feeling pains in my legs (I didn't realize until reading this forum that leg pains were also a side effect of the Nuvaring, I thought I was forming a blood clot). Not long after quitting smoking I started to get severe panic attacks. When the first one happened I seriously thought I was having a psychotic episode. I was convinced I had swallowed a sewing pin and that it was going to kill me. I was so distraught I couldn't function. I knew it was irrational but I couldn't contain my emotions. Since then they have been getting worse to the point it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I feel numbness or pain in my left arm and chest and all I can think about is dying. My sex drive is almost nonexistent. When I take it out I feel like my old self again. I'm actually a happier person ON my period. Last night I was about to put it in and I said to my husband (jokingly) "Get ready for a marked mood change!" but it was no joke. As soon as I put it in it was like a switch was flipped. I told my husband to suck my ****! WTH?? I was instantly angry and then I couldn't stop crying. In a matter of moments I had gone from cuddling my sweetie to cursing him out for no reason. I just got off the phone with my Dr and she is calling in a new prescription for me. I can't go thru this anymore, so long Nuvaring!
Hey man going through the same thing now.  If you get this how did it turn out?
I'm 20 and I started Nuvaring about 2 weeks ago. I've always been a very rational and self-controlled person, but since I've started Nuvaring I started noticing some changes in my mood. I'm always about to burst in tears, for no rational reason. At first I didn't relate this mood swings to Nuvaring, but after reading your comments it started to make sense. I even thought I was starting some kind of depression.
Me and my boyfriend get along extremely well, but when I'm with him I have to make a big effort not to start crying. I feel like I'm not having the best time I could with him because of these meltdowns. Fortunately, my sexual apetite hasn't decreased neither I've become maniac or angry. The only side effects I have are the crying episodes and loss of appetite.
When I finish this Nuvaring cycle I'll check if I'm in a better mood (God, I really hope so). If so, I'll probably never use it again, I don't want to become a crazy person because of some stupid hormones.
I'm really glad I'm not alone :)
I'm so happy I found this website. I tried to research side effects to the Nuvaring on their website and found nothing of this. I've only had mood swings like this when I was pregnant. They aren't normal mood swings like with PMS. It's definitely an out of body experience. You can watch yourself overreact and can't control it. I have had now two incidents with my boyfriend this week that's ended in an argument. I'm happy to come across this site and see that people are experiencing the same things as me. I will be switching birth control ASAP so I don't completely destroy my relationship. It would've been nice to have this knowledge before I started.
My fiance just got on it about a week ago and she is going absolutely crazy. Saying she is going to kill her self accusing me of cheating, then finally tonight she just  it and just attacked me physically. I would never cheat on her or hit her but I am in shock of what just happened!  I can only explain it by saying that freaking ring is making her crazy.
Just started using NR a month ago. Im usually a laid back kind of girl. With my ocational upsets. But lately ive become this psycho crazy person. I thought it was the ring and figured its something to get used to. But now after reading all these comments now I know its the ring driving me crazy . I just hope I figured it out on time. My relationship has taken a huge hit due to my crazy psycho rants. I dont recomend this product at all. Especially if u are in a relationship. Lol. Taking this thing out today!  
I've been on the Nuvaring for 3 months, but this is it. I'm done with it. I've been very nauseous, I've had chest tightness, anxiety, panic attacks. I've never had any of these symptoms ever before. My PMS symptoms have been alleviated, but it really isn't worth it at this cost.
I am so so so happy i have found this blog!!!!

I have been on the NR for about 6 years now. I came across this site in a search to find out if there were any side effects from stopping the use of the NR.

I can't believe what i have found!

For the last 6 years i have had terrible spells of severe depression, mood swings, irritation, aggression, anger, sadness, uselessness, memory loss, headaches, being dry (down there), fatigue and lack of motivation for anything. I honestly have brushed it off as just being an incredibly emotional person who is not in control of her life or her emotions. Yes, I thought that i was crazy and very alone but I just thought i was messed up.... broken. Never once did i think maybe its my birth control making me feel this way.

I am 25 years old and my life has been a living hell since graduating high school which now that i am thinking about it was when i started taking the NR. I can now honestly say that i feel soooooooo much better being able to understand that the lack of control over my unpredictable and over the top emotions was not my fault. The NR has been a tornado destroying everything in its path for way to long!!! I am taking it out right now and will NEVER look back!