Nuva Ring, Mood Reaction
I am considering switching from the pill to Nuva Ring, however much of the research I have been doing on nuva ring has turned up mixed reactions.  While I understand that this is true for any medication, I still have questions I can't find the answers to.  My biggest concern is the effect of nuva ring on emotional stability.  Of course, the company's website warns that mood swings are a possible side effect (I think that is a side effect for any form of hormonal birth control).  What I would like to know is whether the nuva ring is more likely to cause negative emotional side effects than the pill is.  I have heard mixed reviews, some people emotionally crash on it and others notice nothing; is this just something I am going to have to buckle down and test for a month?  If so, how do I monitor my own side effects to decide if it is having a negative effect on me?  
Wow. Glad to know I'm not the only one! I've liked the ease of the Nuva ring, and it's really helped my migraines. However, I'm into my 4th month with it, & I've been crazy emotional. Completely out of character for me. Working out vigorously and regularly helps, but still way too moody for how much time I've clocked into the gym recently.
Okay, so I have not been on NuvaRing, but I already have severe depression and I've also read a lot on it from where I was prescribed it. I'm suppose to start in the next week or so and I'm really scared. I don't want to get any of these side effects, I didn't experience them on the pill, but I had to get off them from gallbladder purposes... It also scares me that so many women are experiencing these symptoms. ://
I don't know what to do.
I was using Low-ogestrelfor over a year,in March i started using the nuvaring,and een when everybody says they dont feel it sometimes during my day after sitting for a while it feels like it is moving.I been going through allot of things for the last month emptionally and feel down and,feeling super sad been crying everyday lately
I was only on the NR for about a month and a half, but it turned me into a monster. I was having anxiety attacks, breast tenderness, weight gain, vaginal itch & discharge, tingling in my arm, depression & crazy mood swings, very angry/irritable, short term memory feels like its gone, crying spells, tiredness. As some of you have said, the week I was off of the ring for my period I felt great, I want content in my relationship and couldn't figure out why I had been unhappy/crazy at all other times. Now my relationship is ruined because of one of my meltdowns. I was irritated by everything my boyfriend did until I was off of it for my period and I was so happy and loving that week. I had a chance to be with someone amazing and now it feels like I have destroyed everything. It turned me into a complete b**** which is the opposite of how I normally am. I'm usually pretty calm, and sure, I do get moody occasionally, but never to the extremes I had been feeling while on the ring. I had two doctors push the ring at me as an alternative to birth control pills even though I wanted the patch and I completely regret listening to them. If you do decide to try the ring, take note of all the possible symptoms and monitor yourself carefully. I had no idea that all of the physical and mental issues I was having could be from one source. I'm glad I figured it out and will never use it agian.
Holy smokes thank goodness for this website.

I have been pushing away as many friends as possible, sometimes feel like I want to punch the kids I work with, have no sex drive or desire to date, don't enjoy drinking any alcohol and if i do I get super negative.  I offend people regularly, feel like I have already lost friends or said things that were inappropriate.  I keep waiting for the side effects to go away because I know that they do - but in the meantime I am in hell.  The doctor thinks I am being crazy, but that's because i feel it. I have had severe pain in my right knee that went away for the three weeks that I was in Hawaii, I could never figure out why - but while i was there I took out the ring for part of the time I was there ... I am curious how it will change when I go off it again. I am going to a naturopath to see if they have any suggestions, as the doctor wants to put me on lithium for manic!! seriously doc, chill out, hormones are complicated!  
I was on Nuvaring for about 3 months. I liked how easy it was. I had been on a couple different birth control pills previously but switched to the nuvaring because of sexual numbness. I hoped switching to the ring would help get my libido back and I had heard it was more natural. I liked not taking a pill everyday. It did not change my libido. I have decided that I can be on bc and not want sex at all (which leads me to not have sex anyhow) or be off the bc and just be extra careful. One thing I notice after being off the nuvaring- I had developed a sense of emotionsl numbness- not in a bad way though. Nothing could upset me. I liked being very unemotional- almost disconnected (happy though). Now that I have been off the ring, I want sex again, but feel emotional. Its interesting because others say that the ring made them emotional wrecks, but it helped me be less emotional and rational. I can't decide what I want more... To want sex or to want complete rationality.
I put the Nuvaring in yesterday and have had suicidal thoughts all day. I took it out earlier and hoping it gets out of my system fast.
I have been on Nuva Ring for about 3 years now. Only the past year, I have noticed that right before I take the ring out, I go "crazy"! I am extremely moody, depressed, and anxious. It's almost like an "outer body experience" where I know that the words that are coming out of my mouth are insane, but I can't stop it. My boyfriend is becoming extemely frustrated, and has every right to  be! I feel terrible. I have also notice significant weight gain and lethargy, but i can't completely associate that with Nuva Ring! I really do like the product, just not for those few days out of the month. Any suggestions?
I've been on the NuvoRing for four years now and getting off after this menstrual cycle. This ring has legit turned me into a monster. I cry on instinct, always super emotional, depressed, anxious....Im legit crazy. I've been in a relationship for 5 years and I really don't know how my bf has made it through. I have lack of sex drive, very dry "down there" when I try to have sex even though I love him to death and very attracted to him, always angry at him, flip at the smallest things he does or says. I once got so mad at him I got out of MY car and kicked it. Who kicks their own car??? I've also been experiencing short term memory loss, random knee pains and headaches.I've done so many out of character acts and said a lot of things that I'm embarrassed about.  I can't have this birth control put a wedge in my relationship and affect my life the way it does. IM DONE!!!!!!
I had severe mood swings while using nuva ring sharp chest and abdominal pains;leg pain in my left leg; shortness of breath (easily winded); weight gain due to significant amounts of retaining fluids thats obviously cause by the usage of the drug. The leg pains I didn't understand because I don't smoke therefore there should not be a Harvard for poor circulation as they have cautioned on the box. I was ready to  either kill myself or some one else....very irate and my anxiety level was through the roof it was so bad my doctor prescribed me and anti depression/ anti anxiety med. never did she think to research the problem  and make reference to my birth control. nuva ring is convienient but dangerous.
Hi Dallas!!!  All you have to do is show her all the law suites on line just google Nuvaring lawsuits and you will see.  there are hundreds!!! This is a terrible form of birthcontrol and very dangerous.
NuvaRing literally has turned me into an unstable psycho. I'm paranoid about every move my boyfriend makes, I cry every 5 seconds for every emotion, and my life is basically a living hell and I didn't realize why. I'm taking it out right now!
I agree. show her the law suits. altho those just point out the stroke victims mainly. My fiance actually brought up that maybe I needed to go see a therapist because I wasn't the same as what I used to be. I actually ended up slapping him across the face when he got home from his bachelor party and then crying hysterically because I thought he was leaving me for good when his best man took him to his house for the night. One of the other guys ended up staying with me all night because he was afraid I wasn't emotionally stable to be alone. For the next week after this big blow up I cried over everything and got pissed to the point of screaming and throwing things. I was getting so mad at the person I love and care for the most. This all happened within the first month of being put on the ring. Today after having the ring out for over 24 hours I felt like I needed to research the side effects and found this website. I felt like a psychotic ***** the whole last two weeks. It was crazy. When I saw all of this I knew what the problem was and showed it to my fiance. If anything, just tell your wife my story. It honestly changes your whole perspecitve on things. Somehow him going to a strip club meant he didn't love me anymore and didn't want to marry me. I don't reccomend it to anyone!
I started to use the ring about 2 weeks ago and i have been crying everyday. I'll just start crying over anything. I was emotional before too but i didn't cry everyday. I don't know I dont want to jump to conclusion that its the ring because it has only been 2 weeks and my body might need to adjust to it but if I feel this way on my second month I am taking this sucker out.
* i must add that my main concern has been weight gain but i haven't notice a chance on my appetite / if anything I haven't had any.
I started Nuvaring only 4 days ago to regulate my cycle. I stayed in last night (a Saturday), and cried uncontrollably. My face and upper back started breaking out in cystic acne. When I got to work today I couldn't tolerate anyone and I was thinking dark thoughts. I just took it out and hope to be "normal" again by next week! Eff the Nuvaring!
I recently went on Nuva Ring around 2 weeks ago, and honestly it turned me psycho. At first I just had depression mood swings, but I didn't pay any mind because I thought my body might become more adapted to the hormonal change, but this morning I woke up and I couldn't even process any thoughts I was so depressed. It's like everything wrong in your life suddenly increases by 1,000,000. I didn't know if it was the Nuva Ring, or if I was really depressed so I talked to my mother and she told me that it may be all the hormones in the Nuva Ring. So I figured I would take it out to see if my moods got an better. Within the next hour I was feeling fine again! So let's just say NO MORE NUVA RING FOR THIS LITTLE CHICK!
I loved the convenience of nuvaring, but I was also having suicidal thoughts, anxiety, chest palpitations, loss of libido, insomnia and weight gain due to not having any energy!!! Thanks for listening girls. I removed mine just today after using it off an on. My significant other will have to either suffer the effects of me being a total b-word, wear a "raincoat" or enjoy having a little pitter patter around the house. I am good with the latter as opposed to suffering the way I was. Namaste.
THANK GOODNESS for this blog discussion!

I have been on NR for a year now and didn't really notice any negative side effects in the beginning of its use. I was happy with the convenience of it verses remembering the pill every single day. However, just recently I have noticed intense mood swings, getting upset over little things, and getting pissed off at my boyfriend for no reason. And when I got angry it was almost as if I had no control over my actions and not acting like myself. I put all blame on my bf when we argued and would find myself crying uncontrollably. It was CRAZY. We almost broke up but I thankfully came across this when I google searched for "NR mood swings"... after reading all these others stories I do not feel insane and I truly believe it is the NR's fault for my unstable emotions. I took it out and do not believe I will ever resort to another form of BC besides condoms. Adding artificial hormones to your body is clearly not healthy and I am appalled that doctors and BC company's do not make this issue more prevalent.

I DO NOT recommend using NuvaRing.
Your comments have been so helpful. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Because I had anxiety and depression while on the pill, my doctor encouraged me to try NuvaRing. Within the first 2 days of insertion I was experiencing severe mood swings and anxiety similar to what I felt when I was on the pill. At first I thought my body was adjusting. I couldn't believe the ring would effect me so quickly. On day 3, I freaked out on my boyfriend and broke up with him over a joke he made. Today, day 5, I felt extreme anxiety, started crying uncontrollably, and had trouble breathing. It felt like I couldn't control my emotions no matter how hard I tried. I started thinking negative things about myself, and even had thoughts of hurting myself, which has never happened before. Talk about scary! After reading the reviews here I see the ring can undoubtedly effect your thoughts and emotions, despite what docotors say. Doctors need to acknowledge these side effects and warn their patients! Needless to say, the ring is gone!! I don't know what we'll be using for birth control going forward, but anything is better than feeling like this.
Hi All, I am so glad I found this web page it has shed a lot of light!!!
I have been using the Nuva ring for about a year now and have found myself feeling very sad after a period. The littlest thing makes me cry and I have the worst temper flying off the handle over minute things. God knows how I am still engaged! I really think it is the NR I have been on all the contaception available the pill i forget, the copper IUD made my periods long, heavy and very painful and I had to come off the injection as I had been on it for 3 years and my doc told me that was the max due to it not being good for your bones. I really dont know where to turn next I cant stay like this being a tempremental monster either crying or screaming over ridiculous things I have absolutely no patience and it seems to be much worse after I have put my ring in following a period.  I suppose for some people it works but others it can cause alsorts of problems. anyone have any ideas of other options I can excercise? Thanks  
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use the nuvaring if you have any history at all of depression or anxiety. I have struggled with these in the past but have never behaved the way I did while using it. I felt like I couldn't control my own actions and I felt completely hopeless and crazy. I took it out on people I love and damaged many relationships in my life. After taking it out I had energy again and started to relax and enjoy life.

That being said, I am wondering if anyone on here has found an effective birth control that doesn't change you mentally.. any suggestions??
I'm a man reading through these posts and realizing the nuvaring is most likely the cause of my relationship deterioration. My girlfriend and I have been dating and living together for a few years.  About a year ago she switched from pills to the nuvaring.  Our relationship outside of the bedroom has always been amazing and we are completely respectful of each other.  However, I noticed that her drive has been on the decline for a while now, and couldn't help but think it was something to do with me.  She has always reassured that she finds me sexually attractive. However, I also noticed that when we do make it into bed, it's very difficult to get her into it.  Even when she does get into it, it's just not the same.  She is no longer enthusiastic about it and I feel terrible because I feel I'm forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do.  Prior to this, things were just the opposite.  She'd always initiate and even wake me I'm the middle of the night for a little fun.  Our relationship seems to be falling apart at the moment because she feels emotionless and doesn't ever want to have sex.  She tried to explain to me that she is still very much in love with me, she just lacks a lot of feelings she used to have and has no reason why.  Again, I thought it was me and that she’s just falling out of love, but this has given me hope that our problem may not even have anything to do with us. She has a lack of emotion and feelings towards everything lately and the nuvaring may be the reason my soul mate almost left me.  She will be going off the ring and hopefully it will restore her libido and emotions.  I just hope that if this is the problem, her hormones/feelings can be restored before it causes any lasting damage to our relationship.
Ive been on Nuva ring for about 4 years, maybe 5. I like that I don't have to pill it up every day. Pills I've been on before, including low dose yaz, and lo-ortho, as well as ortho tricycline have all made me a little nuts. Most of the pills affected me about a week before my period. Road rage, breaking things, etc. my step-mom pointed out the pattern.

I switched to Nuva ring bc taking a pill the same time everyday is impossible for me. I work long 12 hour shift and just not possible bc Bed time fluctuates, wake p time fluctuates, etc.  

Fast forward to now. I'm not always a psycho. 90% maybe of the time I'm totally fine. The other, I'm irritable, low tolerance, break things in a 5year old tantrum, etc. I'm always disgusted with my behavior afterwards, and even during, but it feels like I have no control. I dragged a $1400 bike across pavement scratching up some of the frame. This is a bike I very much like and have babied until that point,  I since apologized to it :) I've also thrown and destroyed a MacBook Pro that was perfectly fine once when I was upset with my boyfriend.

I'm more emo. I used to be pretty good about controlling my emotions, not crying. I hate crying.  When I'm in my lucid moments, I know my behavior is inappropriate.  Also, I used to never be dry vaginally; actually the opposite. Now, it's been this way for the past 4years. Also I have a decreased sex drive. Every  once in a while it comes back, but fades quickly and the interest is lost... Horrible.  

I spoke to my boyfriend this morning. I'm going off all bc and will use condoms. The IUD is too invasive and I've seen too many problems from it, for me.  
have you tried an iud. it is the only thing that doesnt mess with me mentally. and i have tried everything... depo, the "mini pill", the pill, nuva ring. over a course of ten years. also do you have any children?
I am in desperate need of guidance..I hate the nuvaring after 7yrs of use I am a sex less emotional wreck with constant pelvic pain, painful intercourse etc..
I can't stop using BC because I have awful breakthrough bleedings genetically..does anyone have any pill they can recommend...I though about the implanon but would rather try a pill first...the mirena is not an option since my fiancé is scared it might make me infertile. Thanks everyone!
I was on the NuvaRing for four months, maybe five and within three days I felt like I was going crazy. I figured my body would adjust but four months later my relationship is in shambles and my boyfriend swears that I am not attracted to him anymore. The very thought of him touching me disgusted me and I would go into these rages where I would be inconsolable. I would cry and yell and laugh and cry and laugh and yell and cry - its a wonder he's still with me. TODAY - I took out the ring off cycle and mentally I feel more level headed. We argued again today but it didn't end in a blow up. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, maybe its the NuvaRing but it felt good to not be so dag on emotional about EVERYTHING! More importantly, we ended our day on a great note and I can't WAIT for him to get home. ;-) Bye Bye Nuvaring.
Start by asking her if she has been happy or if she has noticed a change in the way she feels.  Chances are she has like the rest of us.  Then tell her you started doing some research because you have noticed a significant change and came across the NuvaRing Side Effects.  I didn't even make it a week on this thing.  I hope she figures it out soon becasue it will change her life!  You guys aren't alone... Good luck!
I was on the nuva ring for about 3 weeks, this week I just had a complete meltdown, a panic/anxiety attack and bawling because I literally felt like a maniac. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I had really nasty ovary pains constantly, and really awful discharge daily. It never went away. I was so mean and blew up constantly to the people I loved most. I feel so bad for my guy, having to deal with this. the nuvaring isn't worth it. My dr did not say any of the symptom's I got the nuvaring had. Im so disappointed, but I felt better instantly as soon as I took it out. Im so glad I ran into this site because I have every symptom you ladies had as well. glad to know I wasn't alone. guess its condoms for me!
I have been on the Nuvaring for 5 or 6 years now and if you asked me a year ago I would say it was awesome. I quit smoking 10 months ago because I was feeling pains in my legs (I didn't realize until reading this forum that leg pains were also a side effect of the Nuvaring, I thought I was forming a blood clot). Not long after quitting smoking I started to get severe panic attacks. When the first one happened I seriously thought I was having a psychotic episode. I was convinced I had swallowed a sewing pin and that it was going to kill me. I was so distraught I couldn't function. I knew it was irrational but I couldn't contain my emotions. Since then they have been getting worse to the point it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I feel numbness or pain in my left arm and chest and all I can think about is dying. My sex drive is almost nonexistent. When I take it out I feel like my old self again. I'm actually a happier person ON my period. Last night I was about to put it in and I said to my husband (jokingly) "Get ready for a marked mood change!" but it was no joke. As soon as I put it in it was like a switch was flipped. I told my husband to suck my ****! WTH?? I was instantly angry and then I couldn't stop crying. In a matter of moments I had gone from cuddling my sweetie to cursing him out for no reason. I just got off the phone with my Dr and she is calling in a new prescription for me. I can't go thru this anymore, so long Nuvaring!
Hey man going through the same thing now.  If you get this how did it turn out?
I'm 20 and I started Nuvaring about 2 weeks ago. I've always been a very rational and self-controlled person, but since I've started Nuvaring I started noticing some changes in my mood. I'm always about to burst in tears, for no rational reason. At first I didn't relate this mood swings to Nuvaring, but after reading your comments it started to make sense. I even thought I was starting some kind of depression.
Me and my boyfriend get along extremely well, but when I'm with him I have to make a big effort not to start crying. I feel like I'm not having the best time I could with him because of these meltdowns. Fortunately, my sexual apetite hasn't decreased neither I've become maniac or angry. The only side effects I have are the crying episodes and loss of appetite.
When I finish this Nuvaring cycle I'll check if I'm in a better mood (God, I really hope so). If so, I'll probably never use it again, I don't want to become a crazy person because of some stupid hormones.
I'm really glad I'm not alone :)
I'm so happy I found this website. I tried to research side effects to the Nuvaring on their website and found nothing of this. I've only had mood swings like this when I was pregnant. They aren't normal mood swings like with PMS. It's definitely an out of body experience. You can watch yourself overreact and can't control it. I have had now two incidents with my boyfriend this week that's ended in an argument. I'm happy to come across this site and see that people are experiencing the same things as me. I will be switching birth control ASAP so I don't completely destroy my relationship. It would've been nice to have this knowledge before I started.
My fiance just got on it about a week ago and she is going absolutely crazy. Saying she is going to kill her self accusing me of cheating, then finally tonight she just  it and just attacked me physically. I would never cheat on her or hit her but I am in shock of what just happened!  I can only explain it by saying that freaking ring is making her crazy.
Just started using NR a month ago. Im usually a laid back kind of girl. With my ocational upsets. But lately ive become this psycho crazy person. I thought it was the ring and figured its something to get used to. But now after reading all these comments now I know its the ring driving me crazy . I just hope I figured it out on time. My relationship has taken a huge hit due to my crazy psycho rants. I dont recomend this product at all. Especially if u are in a relationship. Lol. Taking this thing out today!  
I've been on the Nuvaring for 3 months, but this is it. I'm done with it. I've been very nauseous, I've had chest tightness, anxiety, panic attacks. I've never had any of these symptoms ever before. My PMS symptoms have been alleviated, but it really isn't worth it at this cost.
I am so so so happy i have found this blog!!!!

I have been on the NR for about 6 years now. I came across this site in a search to find out if there were any side effects from stopping the use of the NR.

I can't believe what i have found!

For the last 6 years i have had terrible spells of severe depression, mood swings, irritation, aggression, anger, sadness, uselessness, memory loss, headaches, being dry (down there), fatigue and lack of motivation for anything. I honestly have brushed it off as just being an incredibly emotional person who is not in control of her life or her emotions. Yes, I thought that i was crazy and very alone but I just thought i was messed up.... broken. Never once did i think maybe its my birth control making me feel this way.

I am 25 years old and my life has been a living hell since graduating high school which now that i am thinking about it was when i started taking the NR. I can now honestly say that i feel soooooooo much better being able to understand that the lack of control over my unpredictable and over the top emotions was not my fault. The NR has been a tornado destroying everything in its path for way to long!!! I am taking it out right now and will NEVER look back!

I have been on nuvaring for the past 3 years. I have had weight gain (20 lbs) this last year, random sharp excruciating pain for the last 3 years, bad acne (did not have acne before), VERY moody (I'm generally a happy person). I have never ever had depression and now I have it. I can hardly eat yet I am still gaining weight. I still exercise too. I just took out my ring today so hopefully I will be myself again. I've felt trapped for so long. I am now looking for a natural birth control with no hormones.
I was on it for a few years before I noticed anything, but then I noticed that I would cry for no good reason.  I would just feel so sad and couldn't figure out why.  I figured out that it could be the Nuva Ring that was causing it, so I stopped using it and sure enough the sadness and crying stopped.  It worked great for me for several years, but it is not worth risking my emotional stability.  If you want to try it, just be aware that this could be a side effect and pay close attention to how you feel.  
The nuvaring is the devil! I was on it for a month and I thought I felt so great but I was become agitated, having headaches that woke me up in the middle of the night screaming, numbness in my hands and feet and the scariest panic attacks that made me feel like I was having a heart attack. Then a few days before it was time for me to remove it for my period I became a total basket case, crying hysterically, falling into the deepest depression you can imagine, almost on the verge of wanting to hurt myself. I remained crazy for several days even after I removed it. I still didn't know it was the nuvaring so the following week I put it back in and the next day I was so nauseous and I lay in the fetal position with a heating pad for hours, I couldn't even take care of my two year old daughter. I was so irritable snapping at her. Then the same day I found this blog and removed the nuvaring right away! After a few hours I started to better. The next morning I woke up and I was back to my old happy self!!! NEVER USE THE NUVARING it is truly the DEVIL. No more birth control for this girl! Just condoms!
I have exactly the same, how long took it until it was gone again? Since I took it out 1 month ago I felt perfect fine again but now 20 days later after I got my period everything came back. I have the same problems since 3 days again. Did it come back for you several times until the hormones are gone completely out of the body?
So glad I found this page, I thought I was going crazy.  Have been on Nuvaring for one month and took it out last night.  It is unbelievable how much better I feel this morning.....I am not someone that has ever really been depressed but the last month has been hell, agitated at the slightest thing, snapping at my poor husband and children, crying uncontrollably for hours for absolutely no reason, nausea and my sex drive was non existent.....I was not warned about the extent any of these side effects by my doctor......when I woke up this morning I felt like someone had lifted a veil or cloud off of me, I feel like myself again from the first time in weeks and feel like I need to apologize to a whole list of people for my behavior over the last month......If you are considering nuvaring as an option for birth control, DON'T, its not worth it.....haven't decided what other contraceptive we will use now, probably back to condoms again......not great but preferable to nuvaring.......
I am so glad I found this page... Last year i was on Mirena and had bad side effects, caused cysts, horrible pain, anxiety..I had it removed in May 2013. In July 2013 I decided to try NUVARING. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever!!! I loved it, I still do besides the crazy, unbearable anxiety attacks Im having. I had anxiety way before starting nuvaring but never so much that i had an attack every day, multiple times a day. and the serious ones that came on out of nowhere, included fainting, blacking out, racing heartbeat? I had no idea what was happening to me.. in May 2014 this all started and hasn’t stopped since. I get hot, tingly, dizzy, nervous, weak in the knees, off balance I feel like i am dying. I also was just in a wreck(not a bad one either but hey ya never know); hands arms even feet got numb tingly, thought i had a pinched nerve? Wrong. and all this sometimes last for days at a time... I’ve been to doctor after doctor, chiropractor, just recently seen a cardiologist and had a 30 day event monitor placed on me to see if i had an irregular heartbeat also had an ECHO done, blood work you name it! Everything is perfect? absolutely nothing wrong? Last week was my week to have the ring out, i have started noting when i have attacks, I did not have one attack all week of my period which only lasted 4 days(unusual) but kept the ring out for 7 days(no attacks i actually felt great and normal). Yesterday it was time to put my ring back in. Once again last night i woke up to extreme anxiety and have been horrible ever since. Was up all night  decided to go back and track when i had the attacks and it clicked so of course i could not sleep and researched and now today i have found this, took my ring out 2 hours ago($69 wasted) but i already feel somewhat better? Guess I’m gonna have to give up the nuvaring and birth control for a while and pray this all goes away and i become myself once again! Scariest thing i have ever been through in my life. Mind you I’m only 21 and this has ruined my social life, and even caused big problems in my 5 year relationship because all i do is worry and complain about what is happening to me and its stressing my loved ones out just as much! Lord i hope this helps! Thanks guys!
I am a 39 year old woman, who works for a Fortune 500 company and am physically fit and have a healthy diet.  I started using the NuvaRing in 2005 and stopped in 2011 to give my body a break.  I started using it again last November (2013) and just recently my boyfriend noticed a change in me.  According to his description, which after a lengthy discussion I realized he was absolutely right, I had become aggressive, impatient, perpetually agitated, sometimes violent.  I also noticed in my myself that I was could not sleep through the night and has lost interest in sex.  Most recently I noticed that when I try to go to sleep I would start either hearing voices as I dozed off or I would see faces as if I was dreaming but was wasn't really fully asleep and it would scare me and I would immediately wake up.  Also, most recently I decided to go see a therapist because I felt I was suffering from depression.  My boyfriend suggested that maybe I should stop using the ring because maybe the hormones were affecting my moods.  Again after a lengthy discussion and going through months of incidences I realized that I was not the person he had met 2 years ago when I wasn't on the ring.  I am due to insert the ring again tomorrow, however I am not.  I want to see if in fact the ring has caused these emotional changes.  I can almost guarantee that this will be the case based on what I have read on multiple websites (including this one) that cover this subject.  Also, when I was on the ring from 2005 to 2011 I was depressed and had no interest in sex and displayed mood changes and aggression.  If you are on the NuvaRing or are thinking about starting please have someone monitor your behavior to help you notice any changes or keep a log of your behavior, your moods, etc.  It is very possible that the side effects associated with this product could have ruined my relationship with a man that I absolutely adore and who adores me.
I am SO happy I found this page. This past year has been absolutely horrible for me (and my bf), but up until today I thought it was just me. I've been using the Nuva Ring for a few years now, but 2014 has been a living hell. I've dealt with depression in the past, but it was never this bad. My emotional instability has gotten out of control. I'm always angry, snap at everything (including my cats, for no reason), cry too easily, I've thrown things (need to patch the wall in a few places because of it), broken things, night sweats, zero motivation to do anything, have zero sex drive, very dry when I do try to have sex with my bf, etc. I also got fired this year from my job of almost 2 years because of my craziness. Like quite a few of the women on this page have said, my "fits" felt like an out of body experience. I know I shouldn't be freaking out so bad, but I can't control my actions or my words. It's as if my sex drive has left me, even though I'm still very attracted to my bf. Sometimes I don't want him to even touch me in a non-sexual place, like my shoulder. I could never understand why this was happening. I've holed myself up in my apartment and rarely leave, even to check the mail. I can't stand being in public and easily get panic attacks in the car or out running errands. After reading all of these comments, I took my ring out about an hour ago and have emailed my OBGYN to see if there are any other alternatives out there. I've been on the pill (multiple brands and doses of estrogen), the patch, and the depo shot, all of which (save for the depo shot, but that gave me osteopenia) have made me feel like a raging psycho. Not sure what else I can try, but I'm happy that I found the probable cause for all this. I just turned 30 last month, as well.
Wow! What a relief! So glad I found this forum. I am a 20 year old college student, who works out 6 days a week and eats somewhat healthy, and have always an extremely happy personality and confident and easy going. I was on the Implenon for years, and recently i switched to nuva ring. i liked the implenon however, when i got the nexplanon, my sex drive was absolutely non-existent to the point where i didnt even want my boyfriend to touch me. so i switched to nuva ring, since my ob-gyn told me it has even less hormone than the nexplanon. WELL. suddenly, i have the most outrageous mood swings, feeling very very anxious, bad dreams, depressive mood swings, and just not like my normal self. these things would all come and go, im still mostly happy, just with these stupid symptoms. not sure which birth control to switch too since i cant do the pill..... and i seeing as i have a boyfriend a sex drive is a nice thing to have. the nuva ring also makes sex SOOOO painful. very frustrating!! Luckily my boyfriend is so supportive and reassuring, i get more upset and he doesnt at all! kudos to him for putting up with mymood swings.... honestly, im thinking about getting my tubes tied. i just feel that my ob-gyn does not understand when i tell him im experiencing all these things. has anyone tried the IUD??
I've been dealing with the same symptoms yall have! My boyfriend thinks I've gone crazy cause I've been so emotionally unstable! I've been using the uncaring for 3 years and I'm jus now starting to experience all this..I'm glad I found this blog
Everyone here just described my issues almost exactly. I felt like I was a mental patient. Extreme highs and lows, emotional reactions to little tiny things, lots of crying, etc.
My then boyfriend (now husband) was literally ready to leave me at that point. I was really that much of a mess. I went to my Dr and she advised me to take it out. Almost immediately, I felt like myself again. I haven't looked back since. I do NOT recommend the Nuvaring. The only upside is the convenience, other than that, it is NOT worth the mental health side effects
I am SO glad I've come across this. I started using the nuvaring in October and I've been suffering ever since. I'm not motivated, sad or irritated more times than not, and my once ravenous sex drive has literally vanished. Like, GONE. I workout 6days a week, lifting weights, etc and it's been like I've been in a slump not caring to go work out or anything but in the same thought literally hating myself with an extreme disgust. This is not me. I've had such low lows that suicide has entered my mind, just wanting to stop feeling!! You guys may have just saved my life. Thanks for posting. This ring is coming out NOW.
I am beyond happy that I found the forum. Doctors are quick to make you feel crazy and not let you know how many people this has happened to. I have been on NR for over a year now. Interestingly enough, my symptoms have been gradually increasing but I never put two and two together. I was beginning to think I was bi-polar because I would get mad or upset then look at what was upsetting me and think, that's not right. It has to be me because that would never upset me before. My symptoms have gotten VERY bad in the last two months. Extremely emotional, thoughts suicide, irritated vaginal walls, terrible dreams, insomnia and my left foot is constantly cramping up. I was so happy to find that I'm not alone. It really is terrible that this many people feel this way. BCP work differently with each body type so while I can't say 'say no to Nuva Ring' I can say please monitor your changes. It's not worth it. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories!
I started NuvaRing 2 and a half weeks ago and my boyfriend told me we needed a break from our relationship because I was being so mean. About a week after inserting NR I became super depressed and couldn't even get off the couch for a whole week. I would get mad and super defensive. I would pick fights over stupid stuff where as when I'm not on NR I'm really chill and don't really get mad a lot. I haven't been able to sleep until 4 am and sleepy during the day. I started to cut myself and even had thoughts of suicide constantly. I just took it out because this is insane and I don't even feel like myself anymore.