ONLY 1 cm dilated! URGH! What can I do to speed this up!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am due next week.. and only 1 cm. dilated! (which is an improvement from my first two pregnancies.. I wouldn't dilate at all...) now that I am dilating.. what can I do to speed this process up a little?! (besides sex or castor oil)..

Thanks! :) Jen
WALK!!!  That's what they make sum girls do at hospital when they aren't dilating fast enough!  Hope that helps!
I agree, walk, walk, walk!! It is the safest method, besides it will help alot when it comes time to deliver. I walked a lot with Tristan and while I ended up being induced, I am convinced walking so much helped the process.

Andi
Walking is what i always heard, i did a lot of that with my second pregnancy. Although I did have to be induced, I was already five Cm when I went in for my scheduled induction. I can't say it was definately the walking but it certainely can't hurt.
Yeah, I agree.  With my last one, me and DH went for a walk after dinner because I was feeling the same way as you.  And believe it or not, I actually went into labor during the walk!  My DH had to practically carry me back to the house, LOL!  That was fun, let me tell you.  I wish you luck, Jen.
You would be amazed at how quickly everything can change without any help. A girl in my office was dilated to the size of her Dr.'s fingertip for weeks. Everyone thought she was going to be late. Then BAM...she ended up going into labor a week early.
YES I KNOW YOU SAID BESIDES SEX BUT MASTERBAITING CAN HELP MOVE THINGS ALONG TOO. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS
first of all congrats!!! being a mommy is the greatest thing! i knkow this is weird but...my friend just had a baby and she told me her husband gave her "oral sex" for 3days b4 she was due every nite and in those 3nites she went from a 1 to a 4...so i dunno why but the docs said maybe her arousle was up so high it let things loosen up so she could dialate easier...also on the day she went into labor (4th day) she and her husband walked up and down a pretty steep hill for 3hrs and by the time she got into the hospital she was 6cm and once she got her ep. she went to 10cm in 2hrs...soo i dunno try some stuff out! and congrats with the new baby!!!
BJ
This may sound crazy, but I've also had a couple of women tell me that pedicures work.  They both said they went into labor the same day as getting their pedicure.  If it doesn't work, at least your toes will be pretty for your L&D, LOL!
Thank you everyone for your input. I have been walking like crazy!
well i know how you feel.  i have three that i could not dialate with.  what i did was a lot of walking and took a few herbs.  you can drink a cup of red rasberry tea.  make sure it is real rasberry.  or you can go to your healthfood store and get blue and black cohosh.  take 30 drops alternating every 1/2 hour for 8 hours.  you will be dialated and delivering within 48 hours.  be careful and think if you really want to induce and make things come faster then god intended.  the choice is yours.  good luck and congrats.
i am 38 weeks today. and i went to the doctor. i wasn*t supposed to be checked until next week for any signs of dilation of effacing, but i was anxious to know if there was anything going on down there. so my doctor checked and sure enough, i*ve dilated to 1cm already. i was reading through the other comments, and surprisingly, i actually went and got a pedicure yesterday. i have no idea if that had anything to do with it, but it*s funny that the other person mentioned it as well. also, eat lots of pineapple and drink raspberry tea. it helps to soften your cervix! good luck with everything.
EVERYONE PLEASE READ:

just to let you know, despite anything you may have heard in the past - - castor oil DOES NOT HELP induce labor. it is actually very harmful. sure, it may cause your tummy to gurgle and seem like it*s speeding up the whole process - - but in reality, it can actually make the baby poop as well. and if the baby swallows his own poop (which is called "meconium") it can cause death. so i would definately not recommend the whole castor oil thing.
Caster oil works great!!!!!! Went into labor with in hours the baby was perfectly fine. I think my water broke in two hours. It works so great!!!
Castor oil is actually harmful to the baby if it makes the baby poop like the other girl said, but I think that is only if you go for a really long time after taking it.  I took castor oil with my first son and I think that I was meant to have him anyway that day because my water broke immediately!  I mean within seconds of swollowing the last drop!  Then the castor oil didnt take effect until 6 hours later and my mother had to follow behind me in wal-,mart with a huge towel in between my legs just so I could go poop!  It was really embarrassing.  Thank God that my baby didnt have any complications though.
i drank castor oil twice and i did nothing except send me to the hospital wich was wat i wanted but i wanted the baby to come i dilated to 1 centemeter and then nothing after that and since then no change i dont know wat to do im ready for him  to come but hes just to comfy and he doesnt want to come out wat should i do
you should wait.

drinking castor oil is not good for you or the baby
Just walk as much as you possibly can. It's the most healthy, natural thing to do. Good luck :)
hey
walkin may help u but its not helping me because am 37weeks pregnant with my 2nd child n only 1 centemeter dilated hope things will speed up fast because am not trying to hit 40 weeks before this baby come.............good luck ps let me know wat happen
am 40weeks and still not dialated. pls advice, what should i do for baby to come out.
am very worried

rene
i am 1cm dilated even after the gtn induced witch didnt work as they cudnt break my waters i am 38weeks and 4days havn contractions bu its just no workin 2days i was in hospital 4 came home yday n hav 2 go bk 2 go threw the proscess agen 2day its rele anoyn the worst part all of my contractions r in my back and a rele painfull they were hit high on the machine but there nt doin anythin... walkn duztnt help i walk 4 over 5hours a day... rasberyy tea dnt workbeen drinkn bout 10 cubs a day since i was 31weeks i thort squating workd wen i thort my waters went bu it never it just made my waters leak and advice 4 me ?
I'd  say walk alot i'm in the exact same shoe's as  you are, due on March 12th and today dr told me i was 1cm dilated  AHHH is right can't!!!  I had castor oil with my first daughter it didn't do squat but made me feel sick all night and i lost five pounds ewww never doing that again. My friend told me today the old method to walk the stairs up and down ten times with heavy  pots. I asked does it count if i carry my 30 pound daughter up and down the stairs? she said lol  yes..
so ill try this tomorrow lol..
good luck to you!!
Try to ask your Dr. to swipe your membranes doen there im sure youll be in the labour that night or next day....worked both times for both my pregancies, ny sisters 4, my sister in laws 2 babyies, and my aunt 3 babies.....Can you say coincidence,....lol...these are all true stories...:D....good luck ladies let me know if my tricks helpd for to as well.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
this may sound stupid but i'm telling you now it worked for all 3 of my sisters...all they did was walk for about 2 hours and everytime they came to a corner or inersection they would squat down like they are sitting in a chair for about 5 seconds...IT WORKS!!! i'm 36 weeks pregnant and 1 cm dialated...when i reach 38 weeks i'm going to be doing what they all did.  CONGRATTS!!!!
i think u should just wait until your baby is ready...im 38 weeks so i no how u feel but you should be happy u mde it this far in your pregnancy..
Does PineApples really work?? is so im bout to eat an whole can... but im 36weeks an 6 days i will be 37weeks tomorrow an i have dilated 1cm an i am so ready to have this bby my cervix is thin so what to do now?? any answer??
I am 38 weeks today and am 1 cm dilated and really soft. Yesterday I tried walking, having sex, nipple stimulation, and castor oil. Absolutely nothing worked. I have just accepted the fact that this baby is not coming until he is ready. Also the castor oil barely even did what is was supposed to. I was only in the bathroom twice. I was dilated early with my daughter and went in to get induced and ended up going into labor on my own. I truly believe that a baby can not be forced out. They will come when they are ready.
the oil is sapost to make you have diahrea and my dr told me today that diahrea makes the contractions come faster but it also dehidrates you so make shure if u do it drink lots of water. walking on unlevel ground is sapost to help also sex, and certin presur points, and riding in or on anything that vibrates like 4 weelers or horse helps but can cause more problims than good like it could cause u to have the plicinta detach from the cervix. i did the presur points last thursday and started having contractions the next day. it is now tuesday and i had a dr apt today he told me that i was one cen dialated but he thinks it will be this week. i had sex last night and that boosted it every time i walk i feel them stronger but when i stop and lay down they are not as strong they have been 20 min apart cince last night after sex. the dr said if they get to be 10 min or les it is time to got to the hospital. how can i make this faster?
im 37 weeks and i am 1centimeter dilated. i read your advice and im going to try my walking now! I'll keep you posted on whether it worked for me or not,but in the long run your advice sounds like it would be helpful alot so here i go,and wish me LUCK!!!
Im 39 Weeks And Im Scheduled To Be Induced On Monday i Will Be Exactly 40 Weeks I Really Don't want To Be Induced I Want Him To Come On his Own But I have Been 2 cm For Like 2wks Now I Tried Castor Oil n All It Did Was Send Me to the Hospital Wit Contractions.. They had Me Go walk Once and that didnt Help At all :-( so they just Gave Me Visterall and Sent Me Home I Was So Upset I Walked For Hours After And Before that I Even Did Jumpin Jacks 110 Of Em And Nothing Is Working He Is All Ready My Body Just Keeps holding On to Him Im So Tired Of Bein Pregnant I Wanna See My Baby!!!
I am a cosmetologist and it is proven that women should not get a pedicure late within their pregnancy because the massaging will actually send women into labor.  
I am 38 weeks and 2 days. I was diolated 1 cm at 36 weeks. I am now 2cm and at a stand still. I cant sleep, cant, eat without the heartburn, I sleep all day cause I cant sleep at night, I am ready for my baby to be in my arms so bad. Is there anything I can do to speed up this diolatation prosses up? I have been walking sense 35 weeks and its not helping...
from a medical standpoint, the person commenting on the castor oil, she is correct... the baby is practicing breathing.. she/he breathes in amniotic fluid.. if te baby has a bowel movement, it ends up in the amniotic fluid, therefore the baby breathes it in. if this happens, if this happens infection can set in the lungs, therefore making complications for the unborn and possibly death due to the fact the baby being too little to fight the infection! SO YES, CASTOR OIL IS VERY DANGEROUS FOR THE UNBORN!
im 37 weeks and 1cm how can i speed up the process my bD lock up so sex out the question what else can i do
okay so im dilated 1 cm and i have 2 weeks and 1 day left until my due date whats gonna happen i need to dilate like rite now , walking really doesnt work becuz i walked from oakwood and thurman (outsouth) to cleveland ave and 23rd (up north) and still aint nothing changed and that was a hour and 30 min walk !! so im not understanding and ppl telling me to drink castor oil but after seeing those other comments about that I THINK NOT , IM SCARED this is my first son and i dnt want nothing to happen to my lil man !! so like is there anything else ? i even tryed swinging on a swing and i even walked around a trail at the park , im still only 1 cm dilated !!!
walking did not help me im 37weeks 2nd kid ieven drunk castrol oil nthn is working im due dec 30..im only 3 centimeters dialated when will he come out of me~!!
I am 36 weeks pregnant and one centemeter dilated. I havent had much pain but ive been pooping like crazy. Is this normal?
I'm about 38 weeks and a 1/2cm dilated!  My husband swears I'm going to be early, but I swear ge's wrong.  We actually have a bet.  What can I do to slow things down?
I am 37 weeks i have done walking and sex nothens workinv for me to dilate i get induce on the 26 but tired of being pregnant is there any methods i have contractions but no dilting
I also have the same problem am 1cm and the doctor said I was very thin (I have no idea of what that means) I want this baby out already I feel like she's uncomftroble in there because am not streching anymore. If i do the jogging man would it work?
The only reason they say pineapples work is bc of something in them in there natural state... I forgot what its called...but canned pineapples lose this in the preservation process... It needs to be fresh pineapple
I'm 38 weeks and 4 days I only dilated 1cm what can I do to speed up the process?
ive had two kids and theyve both been late.both a week my second i had to be induced. for some reason i cant walk through walmart for more then 10 minutes without feeling all my insides are gonna just drop. im also dialated to a 1. advice?
walking dose not help when they checked me at 37weeks I was almost a two so I walked n at 39 weeks no improvment I was so mad
I am 38 weeks as of today and 1 cm dilated as well. I wanted to be induced on the 11th cause lets face it, having a birthday of 10/11/12 would be pretty cool, but they hospital will not induce you more than 7 days from your due date and that day was 8 days away. (I'm due on the 19th) A friend of mine said that she got a recipe for Lemon Drop Cupcakes and she strongly believes that it helped induce both her and her friend who was also pregnant. Her friend went into labor the same night she ate them and she went into labor the very next day. Try and find a recipe for those cupcakes and the homemade icing that goes with it and good luck! I will be trying the recipe on the 10th. :0)
I would talk to your OB about a prescription for Prilosec for your heartburn. I had it my entire pregnancy and about three weeks ago I had a sinus infection/cold on top of the nonstop heartburn. She gave me keflex for the infection and prilosec for the heartburn. It worked miracles. I haven't felt heartburn since. Wish she would've given it to me earlier. Water even gave me heartburn. Good luck!!!
Im 37 weeks I get induced on Thursday what can I do to get things going now