Odd cramping after orgasm and bowel movements
This is quite odd but I experience an uncomfortable cramping in my lower abdomen after I have an orgasm or after a particularly intense bowel movement. It's somewhat painful but definitely more on the uncomfortable side. Occasionally I will also feel the cramping when I get sexually excited. It doesn't last for too long, a few minutes at most but I was curious if anyone else had experienced something like this.

Thank you for your feedback.
I check here regularly as well.  Please feel free to contact me.  I have found some relief from different measures.  I am now convinced this is a pelvic floor dysfunction issue.  Now that I am focused on the PF muscles, I can totally feel what is going on.  There are exercises you can do to stretch them out, and there are spots you can press on during a spasm that makes it lessen or go away.. sometimes.  And other times I am back in the shower under scalding water vomiting.  I feel hopeful.  Between that and seeing a pain specialist for pain relief i have at least some hope, but I can definitely say it has significantly impacted my life.  My entire life is ordered around my pain cycle now.
I am so relieved and excited to see this post! I too have had this problem for years and just now found this thread. Throughout the years I've learned to control the pain a little bit with diet. If I avoid restaurant food, sugar, and maybe bread (still trying to figure out if bread is a trigger), and also eat lots of veggies and only small or moderate sized portions, I can go weeks without ANY pain at all. It is very hard for me to eat like this for more than a couple weeks at a time, though.

I've seen two gynecologists, a GI specialist, and a hematologist/oncologist. I've had 6 physical exams which came back normal and the gynos both told me what I was experiencing was normal (it's definitely not). All my blood work came back normal except that I have a slightly high red blood cell count, and he said I shouldn't worry about cancer because I would have been dead by now (not the most helpful advice...). Pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds came back so perfect the doctor laughed (he had been looking for any excuse to get me an MRI, but insurance still won't cover it). It is extremely frustrating to have all these professionals dismiss my case after just one or two appointments.

Here are my answers to the questions:

1. Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese?
Normal weight, 5'4" 126lbs

2. How old were you when the pains started?
17

3. How long have you experienced the pain for?
6 years

4. When do you get pain?
Normally after orgasm, bowel movement, and about 15 minutes into a workout. If I'm having a particularly bad cycle it will also happen after urination, when I'm nervous (which really stinks when you have to give a speech, etc), and just for no reason at all about every 2 hours.

5. Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above?
Usually worst after orgasm and exercise

6. Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well?
Both

7. Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times?
It used to be best right after my period finished and would get progressively worse as my period approached, with no pain at all while I was menstruating. However, lately, if I am very stressed out, in bad shape, and eating poorly it can happen all the time, even an occasional (very mild) episode while I'm on my period.

8. Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains?
No one in my family has this (I don't have any sisters)

9. Have you been diagnoised with fibroids?
No

10. If you are a mother, did you have the pains before, during and after pregnancy?
Not a mother

11. How long does your pain last?
20-30 minutes

12. When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity?
Yes, although pain with the second orgasm is usually a lot less intense.

13. Describe the pain.
It feels kind of like getting a charlie-horse in my uterus. I have a very intense but still dull cramping sensation in my lower abdomen that seems to pulse, so the pain comes in little waves. Sometimes my back/kidneys hurt as well. It starts off manageable but builds up to the most intense pain after about 10 minutes, then gradually gets less severe.

I have also noticed that while this happens I suddenly get very hot and sweaty and frequently feel like I will throw up (although I never let myself since I'm emetophobic). I'm often tired and shaky after the episode passes.

I hope the diet info is helpful for some of you! Food is definitely related to my pain, but there has got to be another underlying cause. I hope we can figure this out, but in the mean time I'm going to start taking magnesium!

I am pregnant and I got this exactly pain last week. I've had it a couple times before. I woke up to a dream and I was having an orgasm and I got THE WORST PAIN I HAVE EVER FELT IN MY EXISTENCE. I'm convinced that there's NO WAY labor pain can be worst than this. Nothing can be worst than this awful pain. I was alone at home and I passed out. I'm very concerned this can affect the baby. Apparently no doctors know or understand what this is about. When we say WORST PAIN EVER they have that look in their face as if we're really exagerating. It's frustrating. :(
I am so glad to have found this thread, but terrified at the same time. This has started happening recently, and I'm so scared to think it might affect me for the rest of my life. My answers:

Normal weight.

21

2 years

4. When do you get pain?
After orgasm, around 5-15 minutes afterwards.

If the orgasm is particularly intense, the pain seems to be worse.

Only after orgasm.

I'm not reaching orgasm frequently enough to tell (!) but it doesn't seem to be affected by the time of the month.

No

No

N/a

11. How long does your pain last?
Around 20 minutes.

I haven't tried, I'm normally too exhausted from the pain to think about resuming sexual activity!

13. Describe the pain.
I describe it as being in three stages.
Stage 1: The first few minutes feel like period cramps, and are unpleasant but bearable. I feel like I need to bear down, or empty my bowels.
Stage 2: This is the worst stage, I have no way of dealing with the pain. The pain gradually builds up to an intense cramping, deep inside my uterus, and nothing makes it better - I usually find myself doubled over on the bathroom floor. It makes my lower back ache too. This lasts for about 5-10 minutes.
Stage 3: The pain lessens enough to hobble back to the bedroom. At this point I tend to double over and have my partner press a cool flannel onto my lower back, which helps. This lasts about 10 minutes, after which I feel exhausted and mildly achey.

I'm going to try taking Magnesium, Fish Oil & Vitamin D and will see what happens. Please, please somebody look into this - doctors seem to think I'm lying about it, it's horrible!
I'm laying in bed right now dealing with this pain and am shocked to have found this forum. This pain started about 2 years ago. I was masturbating and after orgasm got the horrible cramping pain.

Recently I've been having experiences where I'll have an erotic dream or I'll just wake up in the middle of the night doubled over in horrendous pain. Often I'll go to the bathroom and after a few minutes I'll pass a bowel movement. I find that in so tensed up I can't even urinate for a few minutes because everything in my lower abdomen is likely spasming.

When I noted the connection to bowel movements I was curious if this was a gastro issue, but the pain is clearly more similar to menstrual cramps. It feels like a burning, stabbing cramp that is unbearable.

I also don't know if this is related to periods because my doctor has me on constant birth control with no period. I was worried the birth control could be causing this but after reading many of your stories who is to know.
Welcome to the board of fellow sufferers :(

There is a wealth of information if you read through the years' worth of experiences here.  Unfortunately, it isn't as interactive as I wish it was.  I have suffered from this for about 25 years or more.  I can tell you how pregnancy, breastfeeding, perimenopause etc affects this.. but i haven't gone through meno myself yet.

I am convinced this is a disorder connected to the pelvic floor muscles.  Only since I have been paying attention to that has any of this made sense to me.  I have had two laparoscopies, a colonoscopy, and seen more doctors, NPs etc than I care to recall.  

A few years back, someone wrote about finding exercises to release and relax the pelvic floor muscles and found permanent pain relief.  I found that person (years later) by contacting them via this site and they confirmed they are still pain free 4-5 years later.  

I can tell you that I have been finding relief by actively working on my PF muscles... either by sitting on a tennis ball directly pressing on perineum and rolling it around to release the tension, or by attempting to gently loosen muscles internally with my own fingers.  I also do pressure points at various places on my pelvic bone.  I am not trained in anything like this.. I just poke and find a place that seems tender or tight and i gently press for a while.  I have completely stopped doing any kegels at all which is SO counter-intuitive for me.  I had no idea how often i contracted all of my muscles in my pelvic girdle between tightening gluteals, abs or actual kegels all day long.  When I orgasm, I have to concentrate really really hard to not clench up but to stay relaxed and to keep the muscles relaxed.  It is something that has required a lot of concentration for me.  The result is that sometimes, even during my worst pain period (week before period), I can sometimes avoid the spasm completely.   Also, if i feel a spasm coming on, if i do pressure points on various spots on my pelvic or hip bone (this is intuitive), I can lessen or sometimes even halt the spasm in its tracks.  There is something to this.

For what it is worth, I have had this issue spanning so many years, it has seen me through a 30 day raw juice fast, the times I was raw vegan, vegetarian, low carb/high animal protein, heaviest, thinnest, and everything in between.  Currently I eat gluten and wheat free, but that didn't eliminate the pain either.  I do not think this is a GI issue or a GYN issue per se.  I think this is a disorder of the pelvic floor muscles.  Feel free to contact me on this site to keep solution-finding.
i think it is how hormones (everyones hormones change depending on time fo day and stress, arousal etc) affect the contracting of the uterus. My worst pain would start AFTER orgasm and happen more often each year. Also I would get woken up at 3am with pain. My hormones were tested many times over many years they came back normal. got ultrasounds and came back normal. i got a hysto. and they found endometriosis on a ligament that goes from my uterus to my sacrum bone. I now have no pain. its been 4 months since op.
Pig
External User
Just a thought but maybe it's endometriosis??
Pig
External User
Maybe it's endometriosis?
Many of us have had laparoscopic surgeries proving we did NOT have endometriosis.  Some women do.  That is not what is causing this for most of us.  I, myself, have had two separate laparoscopies ten years apart both indicating I did not have that or any adhesions or anything visibly wrong inside.
So greatful I found this forum. I'm 50 yrs old and in my 20's I suffered from severe mentrual cramps right before my period. In my 30's and 40's I would always get the cramps but not as intense. As soon as I felt a twinge of pain coming on I would take 4 Ibuprofen and they would subside.

Two Years ago I started getting the severe cramping again but 10x worse. It would start in my pelvic to my low back and my rectum was the worse. It literally felt like someone was ramming a bat up my rectum. But then I was getting them at anytime of the month. On for 4 days off for 2 Days on and off just craziness. My periods started becoming irregular which I'm assuming is perimenopausal. But what also started which never had happened before was the same exact pain after I would have an orgasm or orgasms.

I have seen a Naturopath who gave me a CT Scan and Endoscopy, because I was having constipation and candida going on as well. Those came back fine. Colonoscopy was fine. Then went to GYN and had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed fibroids and ovarian cyst. I had a ca-125 test which was low 15. FSH was normal as well as all blood tests. I told her about the pain after orgasm and she just looked at me perplexed. She told me I could have a hysterectomy for the fibroids if I wanted..uhh? but that this may not help the pain I'm having with my constipation. What? Why is she assuming my pain is from constipation? So I told her that perhaps I should go back to GI Doc and see what they think. I did that and was diagnosed with IBS.
My periods are pretty much are over I stopped bleeding except for very tiny amount. I Didn't have any cramps since April, except after orgasm. This last week I had the cramping for 4 Days. No orgasms I'm avoiding them at this point how sad is that.
So I'm not sure what to do. After reading all these posts. Should I push to see if it's adenomyosis or endo. I'm thinking from what I've researched that it's pelvic floor dysfunction. But I'm afraid about gyno cancer. I don't want to have a hysterectomy for no reason.
By the way I have never had children. Thanks for listening!
Just wanted to say, since finding this thread back in August I've been taking Cod Liver Oil capsules and Magnesium tablets once a day - and I've had no more post-orgasm pain or cramps ever since! I really, really would recommend it as a course of action - at least try it, it's worked for me. I've had plenty of orgasms so I've had plenty of chance to test it out and the pain has totally stopped, it's amazing. I used to get the cramps almost every time I had an orgasm. I'm so amazed that something so simple has worked.

From what I can tell, the reason it works is that Cod Liver Oil is great for general muscle strength, and magnesium helps with cramping - it's what you crave when you're on your period to ease the cramps - that's why you crave chocolate on your period, because it contains magnesium! So it makes sense that it would help with post-orgasm cramps too.

I did go on the Pill (Rigevidon) at around the same time, so it could be to do with that as well, but from what I've heard, the Pill hasn't made much difference to most people, or if anything has made the cramping pain worse. So I'm pretty sure it's down to the Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium I've been taking. Whatever it is - I'm not going to stop - it's amazing to enjoy my first pain-free orgasms in years. Thanks so much to whoever suggested it, it really has transformed my life!
Thank you for your message! I know it's old but could you let me know what type/brand of fish oil capsules you take? looking for one that's not fishy... I read reviews everywhere of people that have a fishy taste or burps throughout the day. I don't particularly like fish so if you can recommend a brand that'd be great! Thanks!
I've been taking Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium since I found this post in August - and the pain has totally stopped for me too! I used to get really painful cramps almost every time I had an orgasm, but I've had loads of orgasms in the past couple of months and no pain at all since taking Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium. It's completely transformed my sex life.
Here are my answers to these questions to help and share

1 Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese? Normal
2 How old were you when the pains started? 26
3 How long have you experienced the pain for? 8years
4 Do you get pain a) after sexual arousal, b) after a bowel movement, c) after urinating, d) after exercise, e) all of the above = a)
5 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? A)
6 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Yes
7 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? Have had pain at all times but mostly when my hormones drop. (I take sythetic hormones because my body dosnt not produce the the correct range)
8 Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains? my mum had very bad pain during bleeding
9 Have you been diagnoised with fibroids? No
10 If you are a mother, did you have the pains before, during and after pregnancy? Not applicable
11 How long does your pain last? from 10 mins to 2 hours
12 When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity? Not tested
13 Describe the pain you feel: Like extreme bleeding cramps where i cant do anything but wait it out, sometimes i cant even go take a nurofen tablet which helps, it will ebb and flow where the pain will be very painful of 5 mins then it will pass very quickly but then it starts up again
PLease keep me informed of your website - great idea!
Heather  eartheart at westnet ******* dot au
I have had these pains for over 20 years. I have been taking magnesium supplements now for 5 months and my pains are entirely gone. You have to take magnesium with Vitamin D.  I take 200 mg up to 3 times a day and 400 mg before having sex. I really hope this helps many because I have lived with this for so many years.I suggest reading the Miracle of Magnesium. My friend is taking it too and her migraines are a fraction of what they used to be.
Just read that when During the second half of the menstrual cycle, when both estrogen and progesterone are elevated, magnesium plummets.
Hi Kyliecat, well, I'm 8 years late in answering your question (you posted it in 2007; it's 2015), but I'm writing to you "from the future" (haha) to let you know it's ENDOMETRIOSIS. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have had the SAME EXACT THING for years. It took me years & years ON MY OWN to FINALLY figure out what it is. My female OBGYN, for years, would brush me off & attribute to "muscle spasms" & advise I take an Advil. Shame on her. Shame on the medical community for sweeping this under the rug (especially when things like Viagra are such a priority). It's time the countless women suffering SPEAK UP! Visit endofound (dot) com. PS ~ I would highly advise against seeing Dr. Kenneth Levey in NYC for this. My friend had a HORRIBLE experience with him.
Hi everyone. I am 25 and have been dealing with his pain for 10 years now. I have been keeping up with this forum for a while now. I'm here to reach out check in with everyone... Please update and let me know how you're doing. I would also love to follow up with the women who have been taking magnesium and vitamin D... Is your pain still gone? Any updates would be great... Thank you
I am so glad that you discovered this as your cause, but it is absolutely not the cause for many or even most of us.  I personally have had two laparoscopies over ten years apart as well as a colonoscopy and I absolutely do not have endometriosis.  I have had this condition for over 26 years and have been through a gaggle of medical professionals, prescriptions, advice, suggestions.  It is frustrating and incredibly difficult to keep going after this long with no answers or cure.
Your story is my biggest fear.  I keep  holding on that once I hit menopause, this nightmare will be over.  But I have read of several women's accounts that the pains BEGAN with menopause or got worse.  I really cannot imagine this getting any worse other than it occurring all month long instead of two weeks out of the month.
Emily, are you taking the pill in such a way you don't take placebos and just stay on an active dose all days of cycle where you don't get a period?  I have heard another person on this board have success with that too.  I am curious if, almost a year later, you are still pain free.
Hello, Mysteri0uspain!  I am glad to see that you check back periodically also.  I haven't been here for a while, but I do check back fairly regularly.

I am just now starting to take magnesium as a treatment for this, although I do take it for jaw clenching (just not daily).  I am not sure how taking that much 3x a day (as one person suggested) won't give a person rampant runs, but.. maybe that's better than the pain!  I have taken Salmon oil, but not cod liver oil.  I am skeptical about the vitamins only because I have taken good quality supplements on and off forever and I haven't noticed it making a difference. But maybe if it is more regimented..

I am going to turn 50 next year.  I have had this condition for over 25 years.  It's gotten better in one way and worse in others.  Before my third child, I used to get the pain after every single orgasm ever no matter what time of the month it was, but that was my only trigger.  Now, I have two weeks of pain, one week of bleeding, and one pain free week USUALLY.. although some months I am crampy during my pain free week.

I would say this is getting worse, not better.  I am now under the care of a pain specialist and take narcotics for this.  It's that or I have to go towards disability which I do not want to do.  I made this leap when I got triggered at work one time (from a teensy tiny bm that required no effort) and ended up vomiting repeatedly in the work bathroom and taking my shirt off and lying face down on the cold dirty tile.  Now, if I am going in that direction, i try to pain medicate to prevent that, but it's so hard to predict.

That's the other thing. In the past, it was simple.  Orgasm ---> horrific spasms.  Now, they come on for no reason on and off all day and all night for at least one week out of the month.  It runs my whole life.  And it has now really started to affect my sex life because much of the time I am weighing how badly do i really want this vs how much time am i going to spend in the shower writhing in pain and puking?

Having a chronic pain condition for over 25 years is taking its toll on me now and I am starting to feel like I am aging a lot faster than I had been before (I have generally looked and come off as much younger than I am), but this pain has really taken a toll on me.

I'm in the middle of my pain cycle right now, so I am feeling discouraged and dismal.  i really wish more women that saw success would come back on here and keep talking and encouraging those of us still in it.  There are so many unknowns.

i still want to develop a website for this where we can talk more interactively without having things censored.
I check this site about every other day. So far the magnesium and clenching thing really helps! Thank you to those of you that suggested this. Pain isn't totally gone, but is greatly improved. I also used to get the same cramps after I pee each morning about a week or 2 before my period starts. The cramps start a minute or 2 after I pee in the morning. But when I get up, if I sit there 10 minutes, then go to pee, it doesn't hurt. Not sure if that is related to the cramps after sleep orgasm or what?!!   Its almost like I have to wait for my bladder to wake up in the morning before I can pee. Strange. But the week of my period and the week after I can pee right when I get up with no pain whatsoever. Sometimes I wonder if the cramp like pain I feel after the orgasm dreams is actually my bladder?! But if feels exactly like very horrific intense menstural type cramps.
I'd like to hear  more about the magnesium and how you are dosing it.  I am using Ionic Fizz magnesium powder which is, I believe, 200 mg per scoop.  The dosage the original poster suggested is higher than that, but if I take more than one scoop a day it wreaks havoc on my digestive system.  How are you getting past that?  What form of magnesium are you taking?  
You perfectly explained my symptoms, concerns, and possible solutions that I am trying/have tried. I would love to see a website built around this topic and remedies/forums for women who are suffering from this. I just discovered this thread, but I would be inclined to help you in anyway you might need if you choose to make a webpage based around this topic!
I take "County Life"  magnesium caps 300 mg. 1, once a day in the evening. It doesn't bother my digestive system at all, and I have IBS. I also take vitamin D3 as well.
Hello all.  I am back in the middle of my pain cycle again.. it always feels like it comes too soon.  At this point in the game I am looking at the finish line thinking "5-7 more days til my period! Wahoo!"  In my wildest dreams (aside from a possible pregnancy scare), I never saw myself as eagerly excited for my period to come!  

I am curious if any others also have the week of on and off constant cramping (less harsh than the triggered spasms before the week of horrible triggered spasms or if that is a symptom unique to me.  It is a later development.. I didn't always have it.

I am also curious to hear from other women who have dealt with this long term like I have (over 20 years) and to hear more about how this has evolved for you.  My experience and symptoms have definitely changed over the course of years and even decades.
This is a very old thread.  It is helpful to start your own thread to get fresh responses.  You can do that by going to the above 'ask a question' tab.  

good luck
I've read this forum & there are others online too that talk about the exact same symptoms but never any answers. I have intense pelvic pain following orgasm (whether from sex, a dream or masturbation) which lasts 10-25 mins where I can hardly breathe or move & I just lie there in a ball sweating until it passes. I'm 27 & have had this for all of my twenties. I have gone to all the doctors.. several GP's, gynecologist, gastroenterologist, pelvic physio, naturopath.. The Gyno did a laparoscopy & found & removed some endometriosis. I thought this must have been the problem & removal would fix it but my first orgasm after laparoscopy the same pain occurred. Although it feels like intense cramps or (what I imagine) labour like pain in the uterus area, I think the bowels which are located close by might be involved especially as I've noticed the urge to pass gas & once I'm able to pass gas the pain subsides, as if releasing some pressure (maybe gas is trapped pressing on something in there & when a nearby sex muscle contracts it causes spasming??) So I got a colonoscopy to look in there but that did not show up anything abnormal & the specialist suggested I try a low FODMAP diet as I also suffer from bloating/gas & constipation which equals IBS apparently - if they can't find anything else it could be. My next attempt to investigate this pain led me to a pelvic floor physio who felt 'up there' & suggested I do 'pelvic floor yoga' to try to relax it. I find the tighter my pelvic floor the more intense the pain. I'm about to give up my search as nothing has helped & I feel I've been dismissed & just have to deal with it. My sex life is suffering as my partner doesn't like seeing me in pain & there's only so much you can do to pretend it doesn't hurt when you're lying there afterwards pale & sweating. Has anyone had any more progress with their search for answers? I'm surprised that so many people have this issue yet doctors are clueless about it. I wish research was done on this. Ps I forgot to mention this pain used to only happen sometimes (randomly) but it has gotten worse & more frequent over the years that now it happens almost every time I orgasm (or come close to in sleep). Also I've been on a low dose contraceptive pill for 10 years, I might try to go off it to see if that makes a difference.
HERNIA!!!!
Hello ladies
I have been following this thread for the past year. I have been suffering from the exact thing for the last 10 years and have been trying to diagnose myself for the past year, since no doc seems to know what the problem is. today I gor checked for a HERNIA! turns out I have a huge hole in my groin. I think maybe this could be it, and maybe during my period the whole area is more sensitive, hence the extreme pain.
thoughts about this anyone?
Hi guys, can you help yourself and us all by answering these questions to help me draw up a excel spreadsheet to collect this info...... here are my own answers too
1 When do you you get pain a) after sexual arousal, b) after a bowel movement, c) after urinating, d) after exercise, e) all of the above? a) very rarely d)
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm or woken up by pain
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Orgasm
4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? Most of the time, it used to be 1 week before bleeding and now it can happen any time say about 70% of the orgasms I have
5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes
6 What are ways to reduce pain? Sitting on tennis once pain starts, Taking iboprofen before orgasm or before sleep if I can feel it starting
Extra info.: I know someone that had this pain too and had a hysterectomy and now dont have pain
Update: ive found my answer : My hormones were tested many times over many years they came back normal. got ultrasounds and came back normal. i got a hysto. and they found endometriosis on a ligament that goes from my uterus to my sacrum bone. I now have no pain. its been 4 months since op.
I've been looking on the internet for a solution for this problem for a few years but haven't come across the magnesium option yet. That looks worth a try. I do remember reading somewhere to avoid St John's Wort and that progesterone cream has helped some.

I haven't tried anything yet as my issue is intermittent due to being single; however, it's starting to annoy me as I can feel it when aroused and when I have a bowel movement at times. It's a good thing I don't have a partner because if I dare to masterbate I am in agony on and off all day and sometimes for several days. It can be so bad I feel like passing out and vomiting when it's at its worst.

In order to add to the data....

I am 45, haven't had children and have had a history of endometriosis since I was 17 years old. I've noticed symptoms for around 4 years but they have gradually worsened and become more intrusive.

1 When do you you get pain a) after orgasm (almost always) /after sexual arousal (often) , b) after a bowel movement (often), c) after urinating (rarely), d) after exercise (never), e) all of the above? (most)
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? both, but the pain on arousal is only significant if I've had the pain following orgasm within the last few days
4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? I haven't noticed as I was permanently on the pill to deal with endometriosis so didn't have a period for over 20 years. When I came off it at 42 (3 years ago) I think I was menopausal as I've only had 2 periods since
5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Only if I've had a sexual dream and very rarely
6 What are ways to reduce pain? I haven't found a way to deal with the pain beside codeine and even that doesn't touch it when it's really bad.

I just thank my lucky stars some poor guys doesn't have to put up with this too!!
It's actually been very interesting and useful reading through this very long thread. Particularly as it can feel like such an isolating problem that doctors rarely have solutions for. I hope people continue to read through and post here as more treatment options are reported
Hello Ladies, I have been following this thread for ages and have yet to post. I started a log in my phone a few years back and did a lot of self research to figure out when it starts and stops and when it feels worse and all that bummer stuff.
here's my info: My name is Brandy and I'm 30 years old

1 When do you you get pain -After Orgasm, sometimes after Bowel movement, sometimes after urinating sometimes for no reason at all.

2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm for sure, but I've cut that out completely (I cry)

4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? It starts about a week after my period and progressively gets worse up until my period begins, a day after my period begins it stops (I love my period? I cry)

5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes, especially from sex dreams.

6 What are ways to reduce pain? I usually do some stretches for the pelvic area, to be honest it doesn't reduce pain, but I think it takes my mind off of it. Having a bowel movement is almost a necessity, or at least just trying to have one.

Some more info: I've had this pain for about 5-6 years, it used to just be with orgasm, but then with time (especially in the last 3 years) it started to happen with over exertion, or on the bad days - all the time.

Time: it used to last almost 10 minutes exactly, now it's more like 20-35 minutes.

This passed year with every month is seems to be getting worse and worse. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is everyone's kind of remaining the same terrible pain?

I recently had an ultrasound just because if I don't get an answer I'm going to lose my mind, they found some fibroids on my uterus and also said my uterus tilts back pretty far, if that makes any difference. But I see most ladies on here that had fibroids removed had no change in pain.

I'm kind of at a dead end, I tried all the fish oil/vitamin suggestions with no change. Taking pain meds has no change.

I'm interested why it cuts out for most of us on our periods and also with pregnancy. There has to be a connection there. Also it seems important that we all didn't just always have this, it all came at different times for us.

Soooo anyway, I hope there are still people following this thread because it makes me feel better to look at it, I've gotten pretty depressed over the quality of life I have during these "episodes" some days I can't stay out of the bathroom at all.

OH ALSO, I just went to the 4th doctor and explained everything perfectly and she told me that she was 99% sure it was just my anxiety over being nervous about sex. It took all I had to scream I HAVE NO SEX ANXIETY and burn the building down. Thought you might all appreciate those feels.  <3
I need help too.. I experience EXACTLY the same thing and it's driving nuts..
I am 29 years old. I have been dealing with this pain for 8 years. I have a history of fibroids and have had a myomectomy. I thought the myomectomy would solve my problems but it has not. I have a lot of bloating and have bowel movements often through the day. I would say on average I have 5 bowel movements a day. After waking up with pain in the middle of the night, urinating does help relieve the pressure and the pain tends to go away after 5 minutes of urinating but at times it does not and I have to take ibuprofen or Tylenol to be able to fall back asleep. After every single orgasm I get a debilitating pain where I have to lay in bed and not move for a while. The pain is usually on both sides of my lower abdomen and goes to my lower back and sometimes thighs. I feel like I need to have a bowel movement but there is so much pressure that everything feels stuck in place. I massage my stomach and back to try to release the pressure and get my blood flowing regularly. I also get pain while running or cycling. While working as loss prevention detective I would also get the pain when catching shoplifters, so I would say during situations of high level stress. I hope we can figure out what this problem is. I have gone to many doctors and they can’t figure out what is going on because it’s nothing you learn in a textbook. Doctors really need to think about how the body works to figure this one out. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I thought I was the only one with this problem and was starting to think I was cursed.
1 When do you you get pain a) after sexual arousal. After an orgasm 100% of the time. Also sometime while exercising and very stressful situations
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? Yes, after orgasm or woken up by pain
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? After Orgasm                  4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? All month                              5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes, sometimes multiple times a night
6 What are ways to reduce pain? Tylenol or ibuprofen, tired of taking pain killers

1 Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese? normal
2 How old were you when the pains started? 21
3 How long have you experienced the pain for? 8 years
4 Do you get pain a) after sexual arousal d) after exercise
5 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? Its really bad after orgasm
6 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Only after orgasm
7 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? All month
8 Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains? They do not
9 Have you been diagnoised with fibroids? Yes
10 Have never been pregnant
11 How long does your pain last? 5-35 minutes
12 When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity? Yes
13 Describe the pain you feel. Cramp-like, Dull pressure around lower abdomen and back
I think this pain, as well as my period cramps, has to do with muscle tension. I've never been able to keep up my PF muscle exercises long enough or learn to do relaxation exercises so well as to get rid of the pain - but it gets easier even when I remember to stretch my hip flexors a few times a week. For me, the pain only occurs after ovulation (luteal phase), so I guess there is a hormonal element involved (how sensitive the muscles are to cramping). It usually only occurs when my PMS is otherwise bad, too. Diet with less fat, especially balancing omega-6 to omega-3 ratio, seems to help with all PMS symptoms - at least a bit. Well worth looking into if the pain is bothering you.

Here are my answers to the survey someone started:

1 Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese?
Normal

2 How old were you when the pains started?
Can't really remember, probably have had it since my period started at 13.

3 How long have you experienced the pain for?
Um, that makes it 23 years

4 When do you get the pain?
After orgasm and sometimes after very vigorous exercise

5 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above?
It's worst after orgasm when I'm very near to getting my period.

6 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well?
Only after orgasm

7 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times?
Only after ovulation, getting worse the closer the period gets. (And once my period starts (well, a few hours in, maybe), orgasm eases the cramps for a while.)

8 Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains?
No idea

9 Have you been diagnosed with fibroids?
No, though there was once suspicion of a small one, but it might have been a glitch in the scan.

10 Have you been pregnant?
Nope.

11 How long does your pain last?
2-20 minutes

12 When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity?
Not as bad as after the first orgasm. A second orgasm may actually help with the pain.

13 Describe the pain you feel.
Intense pain in lower abdomen, dull ache in back and thigh muscles. It can be worse depending how tense my muscles are (right thigh can be particularly nasty, as well as the left side on lower abdomen). I have an office job and sit most of the day, which causes the front of my thighs to be very tense.
I'm another woman who is extremely relieved to have found this thread!
It's very mysterious that no doctors/specialists come close to what is behind this pain.
I haven't read all 481 (and counting) comment but to the ones I've read so far I can add that:
I am in menopause,
have never been pregnant,
do have fibroids, and
I also have tail bone damage.
I've had the pain for the last 15 years (roughly) which is how long ago I had the tail bone damage (also roughly, so I'm not sure that these coincide).
At the moment I also have a polyp inside my womb which is about to be surgically removed. When the gynaecologist unsuccessfully tried to insert something into my cervix to get a sample I experienced the same pain we are talking about, so I'm a bit nervous about this pending operation since they have no idea what the pain is caused by.
That's all for now. I'll continue to read all the comments :)
Ladies, I've been reading/scanning the comments and have two questions:

A) Do/did all of you also suffer from bad period cramps? (I do, and am supposing these pains go hand in hand - and of course am wishing that once somebody comes up with the perfect solution to this, it will also deal with the period pains.)

B) Has your ob/gyn said anything about the position of your uterus? I have a back-tilting (retroverted) one, and I've seen a few other people mention the same over the years. Has anyone tried abdominal massage (google e.g. "maya massage", or "fertility massage") to get rid of possible adhesions?  
I want to resurrect this topic to see if anyone has found a solution. I have been told that I have both, IBS-C and an Overactive Bladder (which both cause spasms) I was told because the GI, Reprodutive, and Urinary system are so close together one sensation effects the other. I also have not had this all my life. Started maybe 6 years ago. Got fybroids removed (myomectomy), the pain not as intense with medication but non the less did not go away. I kick myself sometimes for not doing the full hysterectomy.
I check this thread almost every single day. I need to get rid of this horrible pain in the middle of the night after dreams. Its excruciating!!
Ok, this sounds crazy, but I found something that helps prevent some of the erotic dreams that cause cramps The nights that I am in the danger zone for having the dreams, I sleep sitting up. When I sleep sitting up, I do not have any erotic dreams/cramps!! I have no idea why, but it works for me.
You likely had endometriosis, which is often mitigated or placed in a sort of remission at lesst temporarily by pregnancy. They are still learning alot about this illness thus far research confirms two points may be of ibterest to you, even/especially years after the sypmtoms died down due to pregnancy: 1) it is leading cause of infertility and other issues; and 2) it is incureable....always.
    Janey-cone-lately advice: even if you've since had children and not had the symptoms rear again, the minute you ever feel a singke symtom arise again in future, go immediately to an endo specialist and show them this stream and explain any current discomfort, anytime, anywhere from belly button to toes, heavy mebstrual bleeding, missed or late period, etc.
    But, sincerest wishes that your remission goes on for life so that you never know the torture of Stage 3 or 4 Endometriosis. And many hopeful congrats you are now enjoying a happy healthy family life with partner and chikdren....what a wonderful gift!
$1million says its endo....only way to know for sure is for an endo soecialist to look inside your pelvis, abdomen, etc. cant be ruled out non-visually.
Def endometriosis
Endometriosis
Endometriosis...it subsides majorly during and after pregnancy...but is incureable so can always cone back
Unfortunately, I experience this too. And it's driving me crazy... it's SO stressful and I cant imagine having to go through this my whole life. I did colonoscopy and MRI for pelvic floor and found nothing.

Survey

~normal; 45 kilos, 158cm tall

~20

~ about 5 years

4. When do you get pain? 

100% after orgasm (particularly masturbation and stimulation of the clitoris)
Sometimes after sexual arousal
Sometimes before I pass bowel movements (also when I'm constipated)
Sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night (after sex dreams or simply because I want to urinate/pass bowel)

5. Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? Orgasm

6. Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Mostly orgasm

7. Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? The random pain I get (that is not related to orgasm) seems to happen on specific days: 7th, 8th cycle days, and 14th onward. (But I'm not 100% sure)

8. Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes, whether from sex dreams or just random pelvic pain

9. What are ways to reduce pain? Nothing seems to work

10. Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains? 
My sister

11. Have you been diagnosed with fibroids? 
Yes but in very small quantities (gyneco said they're not supposed be the ones causing pain)

12. Never been pregnant

13. How long does your pain last? 
20-35 minutes 

14. When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity? 
yes 

15. Describe the pain. 
It feels like menstrual cramps (but a tiny bit different). On bad days I start to sweat..

I tried ganaton for ibs-c but it didn't help... the MRI didn't show endometriosis bht I heard you can only tell for sure via laparoscopy. PLEASE HELP, ILL TAKE ANY MEDS TO STOP THIS PAIN
I think this is most likely hormone related. Mine began in my 40`s (begiinning of perimenopause) and lasted until I started Hormone Replacement Therapy at 50, after just 2 weeks of treatment the pain is gone. I guess some of us are more sensitive to hormonal imbalances and the uterus is our &quot;target organ&quot;.
Ok, so I have been sitting up to sleep during my danger zone nights to avoid the sleep orgasms followed by pain. (Danger zone=About 14 days up until my period starts).Been sleeping sitting up for a few months now. I haven't had an orgasm sitting up in my recliner until last night......I woke at 5 am to a vivid *stange* dream of me humping a corner of a table(What the heck?!!!) and immediately had an orgasm. I woke up and thought oh no, here we go. Usually the cramps start building right away....but last night I barely cramped AT ALL!! I even went in the shower & sat down waiting for the brutal pain to start, and it never did!! I felt just a slight cramping, but no big deal at all. It didn't even trigger my bowels either like it normally does. I did start sweating a bit but nothing like times in the past where I sweat so bad. I couldn't believe the pain didn't happen like it usually does. It was 95% easier than any other sleep orgasm I had in the past. So, I don't know why sitting up works, but it works for me and I will continue to do it when I am in the danger zone time of the month.  (PS...I would never hump a table corner in real life, so weird I dreampt that.)
*Strange
Now I have found 4 that have had this post orgasm pain and then had a hysterectomy and now their pain has stopped. Im getting prepared to have hyterectomy soon and will report back here to let you know if it stops for me.

My pain has slowly increased from 30% post orgasm to everyday now even when i dont have a orgasm and 70% post orgasm

I have had more than three ultrasounds over the last 15 years on my uterus and ovaries have been  seen to be healthy
Has anyone here had a hysterectomy and their post orgasm pain got worse, continued, reduced or stopped?

i got the hysto. and they found endometriosis on a ligament that goes from my uterus to my sacrum bone. I now have no pain. its been 4 months since op.
Hi again,

I'm beginning to believe this problem is mostly about hypertonus of the pelvic floor muscles, plus some hormonal component that makes one more prone to muscle cramps for some time before one's period.

I've noticed that when I manage to remain relaxed all through the orgasm (kind of not consciously helping it with muscle contractions, just letting it happen), the pain doesn't hit at all so bad, or maybe not at all. Others have already talked about learning to relax earlier in this thread - hear hear! It's a pity the too tight pelvic floor isn't something that is very often talked about - usually one just hears "your muscles are too weak, do some Kegels" but Kegels are the LAST thing one should do when you have this problem, it only makes it worse. Try to solve the tightness issue first, strengthening comes after that if it's even necessary.

Further reading and very sound steps to take:  https://nutritiousmovement.com/tootightpelvicfloor-2/

Katy's blog and books have really helped me figure this out (as well lots of other really weird things, like why I get a corn in just one particular spot in my foot, and believe it or not, it's kind of related to this problem...), and while the issue is still there (or at least keeps coming back often when I'm stressed), I've started to kind of feel the muscles where the tightness is the worst, and recognizing the tension is already half-way there to letting go of it. The book "Headache in the Pelvis" is also a good one, especially for figuring out the relaxation aspect.

I have found a method that reduces getting this pain from every 2-3 days to once a week which is a massive improvement for me. I used to drink 1 litre of water /day but ever since i have drank 3 litres of water a day (or 1 litre for each 20kg you weigh so i weigh 60kgs therefore i need to drink 3 litres per day)  my pain has reduced! try it and please post on here if your pain has continued, reduced or stopped
I hope I am intelligible as english is not my first language.

I had this kind of pain for 5-6 years now. I am 28. Like many of you, I did a complete gynecologist check up and my doctors found nothing. Somehow, today, I have found your community for the first time and I am really happy about all the information there is here!

I wanted to share this site with you, which I also have found tonight after a very painful orgasm:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/conditions/sexual-health/a2275/painful-orgasms-dysorgasmia/