Odd cramping after orgasm and bowel movements
This is quite odd but I experience an uncomfortable cramping in my lower abdomen after I have an orgasm or after a particularly intense bowel movement. It's somewhat painful but definitely more on the uncomfortable side. Occasionally I will also feel the cramping when I get sexually excited. It doesn't last for too long, a few minutes at most but I was curious if anyone else had experienced something like this.

Thank you for your feedback.
So are you taking Magnesium, Fish oil, Vitamin D and Iron tablets and what kind of dosages? I'm willing to give anything a try to help with this, I have pretty much exactly the same symptoms as you, so just want to get it right!
Thanks :)
Hi I posted 2 years and its now been 7 years since the pain started 8 in May. I just recently found out that I am pregnant for the first time and the pain is gone, or at least reduced tremendously! I was having pain every 2 hours except for when I was on my period and now barely once a day. My most intense are after an erotic dream. Other than that I've been able to sleep through the night with no pain for the first time in years. It must have something to do with hormones. I've had everything ruled out. Recently had my gallbladder taken out which was chronically inflamed but that didnt help with the pain either.
Hi Everyone,

I saw a gyno for this issue and he has me using an asthma puffer straight after ograsm. It does reduce the pain very quickly. I also had a DNC and had an IUD put in (which releases hormones) & that has made a huge difference both to my period pain and pain after orgasm. Pain still there, but at its worst it is no where near what it was with out all of this. Plus the duration of pain is much shorter also. I have tried everything else that has been discussed & so far this has had the best results for me.
Dezie
Hi Dezie44,
Could you tell me what is in the asthma puffer? It's simple enough that I'd like to try your solution.
Thanks!
Hi Saarpaula,
The asthma spray is Ventolin Met-Aero & the gyno suggested to use a 'spacer' with the puffer as it enables the spray to get to contracting muscles quicker & more of it. I also had the DNC as mentioned & had a Mirena levonorgestrel 20mcq/24 h IUD put in & that has also assisted in reducing the pain. Good luck!

Dezie
I've been trying the Magnesium/Vitamin D/Fish Oil/Iron combo for two weeks now and am pleased to say that I just....tested it out... and there was still a twinge but nowhere NEAR as bad as what it used to be. I have had a few glasses of wine after work but that normally that had no effect before so am unsure if that was a factor now or not. Because Magnesium and Vitamin D/Fish Oil are all muscle-relaxant-related maybe that has something to do with it. For those that are talking to their Dr about it (I gave up) it might be worth mentioning :) keep on trying ladies, its a horrible thing to have to go through so the more advice & support we can offer the better xo
I wanted to comment to you directly that I also had my pain go away completely during each of my three pregnancies.  It rocked!!!  The pains would go away about 3 or so months into the pregnancy and stayed away until the baby was about one year old.  That said, I exclusively breastfed "on demand" for the first year and my period didn't come back until the baby was about a year old (which is, I believe, the connection).   I have posted four posts on this forum and am due for an update.  Please contact me here directly if you would like to stay in contact about this.  I often see people post and wish they would come back and give updates and stay in touch.

Enjoy your pain free months!!!!  
It has apparently been about two years since I have posted.  I would really like to keep in contact with the women on this forum.. I think we can send notes through our profile names.  Please do message me.

I want to post an update.  I am in my late 40's and am probably in perimenopause.  My periods are insanely timely now (never were my whole life until the last few years) and my pain cycle has more or less regulated followed a pattern according to my cycle.

In the beginning, (This began in my early 20s), I had the pain 100% of the time.. every orgasm.  Every.Single.Time.  I have had this pain for about 25 years now.  The pain went away during each of my three pregnancies until the baby was about a year old (probably because that is when my period returned).  After my third child, the pain was sort of hit or miss.  It was not predictable.  About 10 years ago, it started following a pattern.  Until very recently, I would begin the pain 2 weeks before my period started.  It would be at its very worst immediately before period started and then go away about two days into my period.

More recent years, I have a week of crampy pain that comes and goes all the time during that 2 week before time.  The pain is less horrific than after a trigger, but it is constant and doesn't need a trigger.  Sometimes, it is just as bad as the post trigger pain on and off all day for a week.  The week before my period, i would get the horrific pain by triggers (orgasm, bowel movement, strenuous activity).  Even more recently (a year ago) a full bladder/urge to pee joined the list of triggers. Wow.  That sucked. This month, I found myself having milder pains by trigger during my one and only pain free/blood free week.  Not happy.

Every diagnosis anyone here has suggested seems to have "yeah but.."s attached to them.  Some women lose the pains after meno and some start the pains after meno.  It seems there were a few women who still had the pain after a hysterectomy and two that said it went away.

I have a vibrant sex life that is important to me and I am resolute to figure this thing out... even after 24 years of question marks.  My most recent pain doctor appt, I saw a new NP who got excited and referred me to a urogynocologist.  I haven't made the appointment yet.  Probably because.. really? Yet another doctor who will be sure they have all the answers that turn into nothing??  Anyone relate to that?

I have to say that I am finding that the Levsin (HYOSCYAMINE is generic) has been really helpful during my crampy week.  It really does cut down the pain and the pain time (as well as my need for pain killers).  Bentyl works less well.  I have Rx for both.  This is what I do when i know i am during my pain cycle and I am planning to make love:  I take 1 levsin (sublingual) and hydrocodone.  Proceed to enjoy sexy time and have another 2 levsin sitting by bedside at easy reach.  Post orgasm, i put the other two in mouth and try to lie very still.  I have found over the decades that lying still vs moving can be the difference between the pain passing, the pain being less bad, and the pain ripping into me like a tsunami.  Over the last 8 years or so, vomiting from the pain has become part of my experience.

If i can't ride the pain out, i get under a scalding shower (and sometimes vomit repeatedly) until the spasms pass.  My pain lasts around 20-30 minutes long.

I see that some women recently have reported success using supplements and I am eager to try that also.  I totally can see how high doses of magnesium would really help.

Other notes.. my pain is ALWAYS much worse at any given point in my cycle if i have stool inside me.  Aside from a visceral physical therapist who is very cutting edge and intuitive who really targeted the source of my pain quickly, I saw a massage therapist (a very woo MT) who truly believes this originates with the psoas muscle.  I do think there is some credibility to that.. i just don't know the answer.  She showed me a stretch to work on that muscle.

I have an aunt who told me she had this but it went away after seeing an acupuncturist.  My teenaged daughter might possibly be developing this.

I still feel determined to set up a website dedicated to this issue where we can communicate more openly and directly.  Is anyone interested in that?  Years ago, i created a spreadsheet based on pages and pages of responses i read on this forum.  I don't have all the data input, but it came to about 6 pages of 24 x 36 "blueprint" style paper.

I am eager to check back and see if anyone replies to this.  With good communication, I do believe we can work together to find workable solutions.  God knows our doctors and caregivers do not seem urgently motivated..
I have had these symptoms that you all mention except i would get the pain without a trigger a week before my menstruation as well and it was agony. Pain worse than child birth but then without the reward of a baby. Days where the only thing that would help was sitting in the shower. I would sometimes not eat for a few days.

I have had doctors start out so nice and helpful and then after not being to help me they give up. Some would ask what I wanted them to do but I'm the patient I really needed them to fix me. This all started from I started menstruating getting gradually worse. I have been to doctors in the Netherlands, UK and Sweden.

The only thing that really helped was a medication that put me in a menopausal state. Then all problems were gone however i could only be on it for six months but it gave me the strength I needed to get pregnant straight away and once pregnant i did not experience pain or when breasfeeding however after a year the pain came creeping back. I found a great doctor in Sweden who gave the medicine to acheive a temporay menopause again and after that I got pregnant again. Again no pain until I had to stop breastfeeding. I went  for a last round of investigation and a second laparoscapy that did not find anything and then that doctor abandoned me as well. Luckily I went back to my gynacologist and to tell her what happened. She also seemed fustrated with and asked me What I wanted from her which I can tell you was very upsetting. Finally we decided a hysterectomy was all that was left. This without knowing if it would help. I felt that I had my kids and I now needed to be a good mum not one that was sick all the time. So just before Christmas 2011 I had a hysterectomy and since then been pain free! They did not find adenomyosis but countless small fibroids that is rare. I think it must have been these and my uterus is sensitive trying to push them out.

I wish I had a better solution than this and I hope they will find a better solution for you all and in the future. I managed to get my symptoms under control with diet no refined sugar, saturated fat, processed food, wheat, pork and mushrooms. This really helped. I seems also to be worth trying the magnesium and fishoil mentioned here. I tried all kinds of other complementary medicine but it didn't help though it did give me hope and comfort.

This is keeping a long story short. If you have questions let me know. I really want to help those who are i. a similar situation I was because I know how horrible it is.
I would love to keep in contact, there is obviously some connection between the pregnancy and being pain free. It just feels good to speak to someone who has gone through the same thing. I have yet to see my Dr. about this but I will very soon. I am so grateful to be able to sleep through the night and go about my day with no pain!
I sent you a note to your account here.  If your body is anything like mine, you can enjoy a total pain free experience until your cycle resumes after childbirth.  If you are not totally sold out on exclusive breastfeeding, let me encourage you to consider it.  Round the clock breastfeeding (meaning having night time nursings) will keep your period (and hence the pain) away for around a year.  That is nearly two pain free years.  (Also, breastfeeding rocks :) )  

Let's definitely keep in touch.
Hello! I am both relieved and saddened to find so any women with this awful problem and the physicians knowing nothing about it. I have googled this topic many times and this is the first time this conversation has popped up.

I have had pain during orgasm for over 10 years. I have sought out pelvic PT, ultra sounds, and massage to no avail. I have all the same symptoms described, except the need to have a bowel movement during the pain. I am not sure if anyone has had this experience, but I can induce a more mild version of the pain by  massaging the deep muscles between my hipbone and my pubic bone on my left side. In addition, I rarely feel the pain after a second orgasm in the same session or after prolonged foreplay. I am convinced that this is a muscle/ligament issue. There have been many hypothesis posted concerning the muscles/ligaments of the pelvic floor/girdle. I have no idea why the muscles are cramping, but I believe they are. When I massage them, they are stimulated and react. Once they have been "relaxed" via a prior orgasm or through lots of foreplay, they no longer contract painfully. I also find it really interesting that the pain stopped during pregnancy for almost everyone who posted.

As a psychologist, I can tell you that this is NOT in your mind (or mine!) It seems like the right professional could read these posts (almost 500) and come up with an explanation-there is so much information here.

Here are my answers to the 10 questions:

1. Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese?
Currently moderately overweight, though the problem has not varied with my weight

2. How old were you when the pains started?
35

3. How long have you experienced the pain for?
10 years

4. When do you get pain?
Most intensely after orgasm, mildly during sexual arousal, bowel movements, menstrual cramping,

5. Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above?
after orgasm

6. Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well?
Mildly during arousal, most intensely after orgasm

7. Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times?
after every orgasm, unless it is a second orgasm in the same session or there has been prolonged foreplay, and more around my period each month

8. Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains?
No, I don't know

9. Have you been diagnoised with fibroids?
no

10. If you are a mother, did you have the pains before, during and after pregnancy?
Before and after. NOT during,

11. How long does your pain last?
5-15 minutes

12. When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity?
Sometimes, but often a second orgasm does not cause pain.

13. Describe the pain.
Begins at the top of my left hip bone, cuts diagonally to my pubic bone, radiating down my left leg.

I would very much like to be part on an on-going conversation here and I am going to try and get some researcher friends of mine interested. Thank you for all your honesty.
i've just read your post as i have the same thing? Did you find out what was causing it?
I had an episode last night. Woke up in middle of the night from an intense orgasm, after that he pain started building right away. Plus I started getting really hot instantly. Someone on here said lay very very still.  I tried  this and it did help. It still was very painful, but I didn't have the need to have several bowel movements like I normally. Plus I didnt hyperventilate like I do with this. I was laying on my back very still for the 25 or so minutes till it passed. NOT fun but I think the laying still thing helps.
Ladies

After many years of trying to find out what was wrong I was finally diagnosed with endometrial cancer.  I had a tumor in my uterus and the cramping was being caused by the uterus contracting around it.  What I didn't know was that when you orgasm your uterus contracts but normally releases before there is any pain.  My specialist told me that what was happening with me was that the contraction was holding and not releasing for 15 minutes, almost like the uterus was trying to give birth to the tumor.

A few months ago I had a total hysterectomy including ovaries and tubes and the surgeon said that she could see the damage all the years of this pain had done to my uterus.

Thankfully, now I have finished treatment, I can now enjoy sex and get nothing but pleasure.

Endometrial cancer can only be diagnosed by having a hystroscopy.  I had none of the usual symptoms and am under the avergae age to have this type of cancer which is why the doctors didn't pick up on it,  As horrible as it has been, I am just so relieved to not be living with that pain anymore.

I wish you all the very best in finding your solution.
I've also been having these same symptoms for about 10 months. They've become unbearable. I've strayed away from anything sexual but the dreams get me, too. It's bad, but I'm seriously hoping mine is just a hernia since I had an inguinal hernia at 10 weeks old and have had it repaired multiple times. We'll see!
Well.. add singing karaoke to my list of pain triggers that send me into spasm then into a public bathroom puking my guts out.  Embarrassed much?  Maybe a little.  Frustrated?  A lot.  

NOT HAPPY.
I am glad to hear this has helped for you.  I try to go into a deep relaxed place (as relaxed as you can be when something is ripping into you).  I also make sure my partner doesn't jostle me or move around at all.

I don't necessarily have to have bowel movements when I have spasms, but I do find that the bearing down sensation eases the pain.  If i am able to pass something, then it helps.  I HAVE definitely noticed that if i have some stool inside that has not been passed, my pain is always a lot worse.  I am thinking of taking Miralax during the two weeks of pain I usually  have to try to stay as empty as possible.

My pains seem to have gotten worse in the last few months.  My cycle is getting shorter (I am moving closer toward menopause) and therefore the time I get between pain cycles is less and less.  The last two months, my usual respite pain free week following my period was not totally pain free, but mildly crampy.  I have grown tolerant to the pain meds I am prescribed and they don't work as well as they used to.

As i posted last night, I had an incident where singing a song at karaoke triggered a spasm last night.  The pain (on my severity scale I am used to) was not at the top.. it was difficult to manage, but not horrific, but my mouth started to water which is the sign I get when I am going to start throwing up from pain.   I noticed last night that when i throw up repeatedly from the pain spasms, it is not like typical vomiting.  There is no bile involved.. no volume.  My stomach just pushes out whatever is in there in spasms.  It almost feels like a cat with a hair ball.  It is totally involuntary.  I don't think I could suppress it.  I have tried to delay it, but when i do, my stomach starts doing this thing like a cat with a hair ball and then i really have no choice but to give in.  Does anyone else have this experience?  I have told my doctor that it doesn't feel like I am sick to my stomach but that my stomach is also spasming.. maybe like a chain reaction?  Not that the practitioners really listen to me anymore.  

Why is there not a solution for this problem besides removing my internal sex organs and sending me into hormonal hell?  Why does no doctor on earth know anything about this.. what it is.. how to effectively treat.. how about cure??? it?  

This has begun to run my life.  I have my pain cycle programmed into my phone calendar.  I plan around it.  I have an important meeting tomorrow and I am literally terrified that I might spontaneously spasm in the middle of it and have to go throw up in their bathroom.  How does someone live like this forever?  You think I'd be used to it after two decades.
Can you share what dosages of the supplements you are taking that has helped?
I've been checking in on this forum ever since I started having symptoms, but have never posted. Here are my answers to the questions.

Normal weight, 5'6" 125lbs

20

6 years (lordy, lordy)

4. When do you get pain?
After orgasm, after defecation, during exercise. At least it started off that way. Sometimes during what I call "flare ups," it happens randomly throughout the day, especially bad in the mornings, whenever I'm stressed or have a frightening experience, and then several times throughout the night. I have a heating pad that I use at night that seems to help. Sometimes I can go for weeks at a time without any pain at all. I can also push by my lower right pelvic bone and cause pain.

It's hard to tell, usually worst after orgasm and exercise.

Both

It seems to happen randomly, for weeks at a time when it flares up. Then I can go for weeks without it.

Not my mom or sister

No.

Not a mother.

11. How long does your pain last?
Usually 30 mins, sometimes up to an hour. It has a definite peak and decline.

Not usually.

13. Describe the pain.
Two types of pain: dull and pulsy when it's not so bad, intense and clenching at its worst (weird adjectives, I know.) Definitely lower abdomen, seems to be predominantly on the right side, but both sides will be painful.

I have had: internal ultrasound, external ultrasound, blood work, multiple physical exams both vaginal and anal, and no one seems to know what's happening. I started taking a fancy probiotic and that SEEMS to be helping, but I'm not sure if I'm just in between flare ups or not. It has been quite a long time though (about two months). If they return, I will probably see a GI specialist, as I've got a clean bill of health as far as gynecological issues go. Will try to keep everyone updated.
Thanks for posting your experience!  I have this forum bookmarked and have been checking back regularly desperate for any new information.  I hope you are able to find some good answers.

I am getting closer to menopause and have hoped that the pains will start to go away when my period does, but I seem to remember reading posts from years ago where women started getting the pains with menopause.  I need to sit down and re-read the whole forum again.

I am convinced that if we keep in touch and keep telling each other what is working/not working.. what we are trying that is helping... we the sufferers will find an answer since the practitioners seem to be oblivious.  Maybe there will be a diagnosis in our lifetimes.

Nice to meet you :)
Oh my god. I ve just found this. All the above is exactly me..... I had never searched it before and have never used a forum. I can't believe so many people are suffering with the same symptoms. I ve had it since about 17 and am now 30 with no children, it's getting worse and affects everything. Why is it that no Dr.s seem to understand it?! I m just going to go and purchase the fish oil and calcium magnesium etc suggested a long way back on this forum....
this is crazy, i have always just considered myself a weirdo, but like everyone else am relieved to find i'm not the only uncomfortable one.
im 25, and have felt this since approx. 16. even when aroused i often feel physical pain (a bit hard when you're trying to appear casual).
the symptoms got worse with onset of anxiety. i also have severe period pain, but no endo.
the cramps are so intense i find it nearly impossible to reach an orgasm, however the only time it has ever been relieved is with a proper full blown orgasm (female ejac. to be bltant). at some point i even decided it must be a symptom of sexual repression- realistically it's probably the opposite.
magnesium does sound plausible
Magnesium, Fish Oil, and Vitamin D3 all help.  But the problem is likely your Psoas muscle, which is deep inside, under the abdominal walls. A qualified Chiropractor or Yoga instructor can help you with this.  I have had this issue; it started at age 57, and it took me 2 years to figure it out. I was already on all the hormones and supplements that Suzanne Somers takes and I am anti-med, so it was important to get to the root cause. The reason a hysterectomy may help, is that it allows more room inside you, but the problem is still the Psoas muscle.
Thank you Dr Laura, I am going to incorporate psoas muscle relaxing exercises and see if that helps.
I really really hopes this pain goes away with monopause...I don't know how much more of this I can take. It is awful being terrified to go to sleep for fear of having a stupid sex dream with orgasm to be followed by cramps from hell. What the heck is wrong with me?!!!! No one understands and its so frustrating.  :(
I check this forum several times a day, every single day hoping to find some answers. The cancer thing is what scares me.
I check here regularly as well.  Please feel free to contact me.  I have found some relief from different measures.  I am now convinced this is a pelvic floor dysfunction issue.  Now that I am focused on the PF muscles, I can totally feel what is going on.  There are exercises you can do to stretch them out, and there are spots you can press on during a spasm that makes it lessen or go away.. sometimes.  And other times I am back in the shower under scalding water vomiting.  I feel hopeful.  Between that and seeing a pain specialist for pain relief i have at least some hope, but I can definitely say it has significantly impacted my life.  My entire life is ordered around my pain cycle now.
I am so relieved and excited to see this post! I too have had this problem for years and just now found this thread. Throughout the years I've learned to control the pain a little bit with diet. If I avoid restaurant food, sugar, and maybe bread (still trying to figure out if bread is a trigger), and also eat lots of veggies and only small or moderate sized portions, I can go weeks without ANY pain at all. It is very hard for me to eat like this for more than a couple weeks at a time, though.

I've seen two gynecologists, a GI specialist, and a hematologist/oncologist. I've had 6 physical exams which came back normal and the gynos both told me what I was experiencing was normal (it's definitely not). All my blood work came back normal except that I have a slightly high red blood cell count, and he said I shouldn't worry about cancer because I would have been dead by now (not the most helpful advice...). Pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds came back so perfect the doctor laughed (he had been looking for any excuse to get me an MRI, but insurance still won't cover it). It is extremely frustrating to have all these professionals dismiss my case after just one or two appointments.

Here are my answers to the questions:

Normal weight, 5'4" 126lbs

17

6 years

4. When do you get pain?
Normally after orgasm, bowel movement, and about 15 minutes into a workout. If I'm having a particularly bad cycle it will also happen after urination, when I'm nervous (which really stinks when you have to give a speech, etc), and just for no reason at all about every 2 hours.

Usually worst after orgasm and exercise

Both

It used to be best right after my period finished and would get progressively worse as my period approached, with no pain at all while I was menstruating. However, lately, if I am very stressed out, in bad shape, and eating poorly it can happen all the time, even an occasional (very mild) episode while I'm on my period.

No one in my family has this (I don't have any sisters)

No

Not a mother

11. How long does your pain last?
20-30 minutes

Yes, although pain with the second orgasm is usually a lot less intense.

13. Describe the pain.
It feels kind of like getting a charlie-horse in my uterus. I have a very intense but still dull cramping sensation in my lower abdomen that seems to pulse, so the pain comes in little waves. Sometimes my back/kidneys hurt as well. It starts off manageable but builds up to the most intense pain after about 10 minutes, then gradually gets less severe.

I have also noticed that while this happens I suddenly get very hot and sweaty and frequently feel like I will throw up (although I never let myself since I'm emetophobic). I'm often tired and shaky after the episode passes.

I hope the diet info is helpful for some of you! Food is definitely related to my pain, but there has got to be another underlying cause. I hope we can figure this out, but in the mean time I'm going to start taking magnesium!

I am pregnant and I got this exactly pain last week. I've had it a couple times before. I woke up to a dream and I was having an orgasm and I got THE WORST PAIN I HAVE EVER FELT IN MY EXISTENCE. I'm convinced that there's NO WAY labor pain can be worst than this. Nothing can be worst than this awful pain. I was alone at home and I passed out. I'm very concerned this can affect the baby. Apparently no doctors know or understand what this is about. When we say WORST PAIN EVER they have that look in their face as if we're really exagerating. It's frustrating. :(
I am so glad to have found this thread, but terrified at the same time. This has started happening recently, and I'm so scared to think it might affect me for the rest of my life. My answers:

Normal weight.

21

2 years

4. When do you get pain?
After orgasm, around 5-15 minutes afterwards.

If the orgasm is particularly intense, the pain seems to be worse.

Only after orgasm.

I'm not reaching orgasm frequently enough to tell (!) but it doesn't seem to be affected by the time of the month.

No

No

N/a

11. How long does your pain last?
Around 20 minutes.

I haven't tried, I'm normally too exhausted from the pain to think about resuming sexual activity!

13. Describe the pain.
I describe it as being in three stages.
Stage 1: The first few minutes feel like period cramps, and are unpleasant but bearable. I feel like I need to bear down, or empty my bowels.
Stage 2: This is the worst stage, I have no way of dealing with the pain. The pain gradually builds up to an intense cramping, deep inside my uterus, and nothing makes it better - I usually find myself doubled over on the bathroom floor. It makes my lower back ache too. This lasts for about 5-10 minutes.
Stage 3: The pain lessens enough to hobble back to the bedroom. At this point I tend to double over and have my partner press a cool flannel onto my lower back, which helps. This lasts about 10 minutes, after which I feel exhausted and mildly achey.

I'm going to try taking Magnesium, Fish Oil & Vitamin D and will see what happens. Please, please somebody look into this - doctors seem to think I'm lying about it, it's horrible!
I'm laying in bed right now dealing with this pain and am shocked to have found this forum. This pain started about 2 years ago. I was masturbating and after orgasm got the horrible cramping pain.

Recently I've been having experiences where I'll have an erotic dream or I'll just wake up in the middle of the night doubled over in horrendous pain. Often I'll go to the bathroom and after a few minutes I'll pass a bowel movement. I find that in so tensed up I can't even urinate for a few minutes because everything in my lower abdomen is likely spasming.

When I noted the connection to bowel movements I was curious if this was a gastro issue, but the pain is clearly more similar to menstrual cramps. It feels like a burning, stabbing cramp that is unbearable.

I also don't know if this is related to periods because my doctor has me on constant birth control with no period. I was worried the birth control could be causing this but after reading many of your stories who is to know.
Welcome to the board of fellow sufferers :(

There is a wealth of information if you read through the years' worth of experiences here.  Unfortunately, it isn't as interactive as I wish it was.  I have suffered from this for about 25 years or more.  I can tell you how pregnancy, breastfeeding, perimenopause etc affects this.. but i haven't gone through meno myself yet.

I am convinced this is a disorder connected to the pelvic floor muscles.  Only since I have been paying attention to that has any of this made sense to me.  I have had two laparoscopies, a colonoscopy, and seen more doctors, NPs etc than I care to recall.  

A few years back, someone wrote about finding exercises to release and relax the pelvic floor muscles and found permanent pain relief.  I found that person (years later) by contacting them via this site and they confirmed they are still pain free 4-5 years later.  

I can tell you that I have been finding relief by actively working on my PF muscles... either by sitting on a tennis ball directly pressing on perineum and rolling it around to release the tension, or by attempting to gently loosen muscles internally with my own fingers.  I also do pressure points at various places on my pelvic bone.  I am not trained in anything like this.. I just poke and find a place that seems tender or tight and i gently press for a while.  I have completely stopped doing any kegels at all which is SO counter-intuitive for me.  I had no idea how often i contracted all of my muscles in my pelvic girdle between tightening gluteals, abs or actual kegels all day long.  When I orgasm, I have to concentrate really really hard to not clench up but to stay relaxed and to keep the muscles relaxed.  It is something that has required a lot of concentration for me.  The result is that sometimes, even during my worst pain period (week before period), I can sometimes avoid the spasm completely.   Also, if i feel a spasm coming on, if i do pressure points on various spots on my pelvic or hip bone (this is intuitive), I can lessen or sometimes even halt the spasm in its tracks.  There is something to this.

For what it is worth, I have had this issue spanning so many years, it has seen me through a 30 day raw juice fast, the times I was raw vegan, vegetarian, low carb/high animal protein, heaviest, thinnest, and everything in between.  Currently I eat gluten and wheat free, but that didn't eliminate the pain either.  I do not think this is a GI issue or a GYN issue per se.  I think this is a disorder of the pelvic floor muscles.  Feel free to contact me on this site to keep solution-finding.
Pig
Blue_crayonExternal User
Just a thought but maybe it's endometriosis??
Pig
Blue_crayonExternal User
Maybe it's endometriosis?
Many of us have had laparoscopic surgeries proving we did NOT have endometriosis.  Some women do.  That is not what is causing this for most of us.  I, myself, have had two separate laparoscopies ten years apart both indicating I did not have that or any adhesions or anything visibly wrong inside.
So greatful I found this forum. I'm 50 yrs old and in my 20's I suffered from severe mentrual cramps right before my period. In my 30's and 40's I would always get the cramps but not as intense. As soon as I felt a twinge of pain coming on I would take 4 Ibuprofen and they would subside.

Two Years ago I started getting the severe cramping again but 10x worse. It would start in my pelvic to my low back and my rectum was the worse. It literally felt like someone was ramming a bat up my rectum. But then I was getting them at anytime of the month. On for 4 days off for 2 Days on and off just craziness. My periods started becoming irregular which I'm assuming is perimenopausal. But what also started which never had happened before was the same exact pain after I would have an orgasm or orgasms.

I have seen a Naturopath who gave me a CT Scan and Endoscopy, because I was having constipation and candida going on as well. Those came back fine. Colonoscopy was fine. Then went to GYN and had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed fibroids and ovarian cyst. I had a ca-125 test which was low 15. FSH was normal as well as all blood tests. I told her about the pain after orgasm and she just looked at me perplexed. She told me I could have a hysterectomy for the fibroids if I wanted..uhh? but that this may not help the pain I'm having with my constipation. What? Why is she assuming my pain is from constipation? So I told her that perhaps I should go back to GI Doc and see what they think. I did that and was diagnosed with IBS.
My periods are pretty much are over I stopped bleeding except for very tiny amount. I Didn't have any cramps since April, except after orgasm. This last week I had the cramping for 4 Days. No orgasms I'm avoiding them at this point how sad is that.
So I'm not sure what to do. After reading all these posts. Should I push to see if it's adenomyosis or endo. I'm thinking from what I've researched that it's pelvic floor dysfunction. But I'm afraid about gyno cancer. I don't want to have a hysterectomy for no reason.
By the way I have never had children. Thanks for listening!
Just wanted to say, since finding this thread back in August I've been taking Cod Liver Oil capsules and Magnesium tablets once a day - and I've had no more post-orgasm pain or cramps ever since! I really, really would recommend it as a course of action - at least try it, it's worked for me. I've had plenty of orgasms so I've had plenty of chance to test it out and the pain has totally stopped, it's amazing. I used to get the cramps almost every time I had an orgasm. I'm so amazed that something so simple has worked.

From what I can tell, the reason it works is that Cod Liver Oil is great for general muscle strength, and magnesium helps with cramping - it's what you crave when you're on your period to ease the cramps - that's why you crave chocolate on your period, because it contains magnesium! So it makes sense that it would help with post-orgasm cramps too.

I did go on the Pill (Rigevidon) at around the same time, so it could be to do with that as well, but from what I've heard, the Pill hasn't made much difference to most people, or if anything has made the cramping pain worse. So I'm pretty sure it's down to the Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium I've been taking. Whatever it is - I'm not going to stop - it's amazing to enjoy my first pain-free orgasms in years. Thanks so much to whoever suggested it, it really has transformed my life!
I've been taking Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium since I found this post in August - and the pain has totally stopped for me too! I used to get really painful cramps almost every time I had an orgasm, but I've had loads of orgasms in the past couple of months and no pain at all since taking Cod Liver Oil and Magnesium. It's completely transformed my sex life.
Here are my answers to these questions to help and share

1 Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese? Normal
2 How old were you when the pains started? 26
3 How long have you experienced the pain for? 8years
4 Do you get pain a) after sexual arousal, b) after a bowel movement, c) after urinating, d) after exercise, e) all of the above = a)
5 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? A)
6 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Yes
7 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? Have had pain at all times but mostly when my hormones drop. (I take sythetic hormones because my body dosnt not produce the the correct range)
8 Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains? my mum had very bad pain during bleeding
9 Have you been diagnoised with fibroids? No
10 If you are a mother, did you have the pains before, during and after pregnancy? Not applicable
11 How long does your pain last? from 10 mins to 2 hours
12 When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity? Not tested
13 Describe the pain you feel: Like extreme bleeding cramps where i cant do anything but wait it out, sometimes i cant even go take a nurofen tablet which helps, it will ebb and flow where the pain will be very painful of 5 mins then it will pass very quickly but then it starts up again
PLease keep me informed of your website - great idea!
Heather  eartheart at westnet ******* dot au
I have had these pains for over 20 years. I have been taking magnesium supplements now for 5 months and my pains are entirely gone. You have to take magnesium with Vitamin D.  I take 200 mg up to 3 times a day and 400 mg before having sex. I really hope this helps many because I have lived with this for so many years.I suggest reading the Miracle of Magnesium. My friend is taking it too and her migraines are a fraction of what they used to be.
Just read that when During the second half of the menstrual cycle, when both estrogen and progesterone are elevated, magnesium plummets.
Hi Kyliecat, well, I'm 8 years late in answering your question (you posted it in 2007; it's 2015), but I'm writing to you "from the future" (haha) to let you know it's ENDOMETRIOSIS. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have had the SAME EXACT THING for years. It took me years & years ON MY OWN to FINALLY figure out what it is. My female OBGYN, for years, would brush me off & attribute to "muscle spasms" & advise I take an Advil. Shame on her. Shame on the medical community for sweeping this under the rug (especially when things like Viagra are such a priority). It's time the countless women suffering SPEAK UP! Visit endofound (dot) com. PS ~ I would highly advise against seeing Dr. Kenneth Levey in NYC for this. My friend had a HORRIBLE experience with him.
Hi everyone. I am 25 and have been dealing with his pain for 10 years now. I have been keeping up with this forum for a while now. I'm here to reach out check in with everyone... Please update and let me know how you're doing. I would also love to follow up with the women who have been taking magnesium and vitamin D... Is your pain still gone? Any updates would be great... Thank you
I am so glad that you discovered this as your cause, but it is absolutely not the cause for many or even most of us.  I personally have had two laparoscopies over ten years apart as well as a colonoscopy and I absolutely do not have endometriosis.  I have had this condition for over 26 years and have been through a gaggle of medical professionals, prescriptions, advice, suggestions.  It is frustrating and incredibly difficult to keep going after this long with no answers or cure.
Your story is my biggest fear.  I keep  holding on that once I hit menopause, this nightmare will be over.  But I have read of several women's accounts that the pains BEGAN with menopause or got worse.  I really cannot imagine this getting any worse other than it occurring all month long instead of two weeks out of the month.
Emily, are you taking the pill in such a way you don't take placebos and just stay on an active dose all days of cycle where you don't get a period?  I have heard another person on this board have success with that too.  I am curious if, almost a year later, you are still pain free.
Hello, Mysteri0uspain!  I am glad to see that you check back periodically also.  I haven't been here for a while, but I do check back fairly regularly.

I am just now starting to take magnesium as a treatment for this, although I do take it for jaw clenching (just not daily).  I am not sure how taking that much 3x a day (as one person suggested) won't give a person rampant runs, but.. maybe that's better than the pain!  I have taken Salmon oil, but not cod liver oil.  I am skeptical about the vitamins only because I have taken good quality supplements on and off forever and I haven't noticed it making a difference. But maybe if it is more regimented..

I am going to turn 50 next year.  I have had this condition for over 25 years.  It's gotten better in one way and worse in others.  Before my third child, I used to get the pain after every single orgasm ever no matter what time of the month it was, but that was my only trigger.  Now, I have two weeks of pain, one week of bleeding, and one pain free week USUALLY.. although some months I am crampy during my pain free week.

I would say this is getting worse, not better.  I am now under the care of a pain specialist and take narcotics for this.  It's that or I have to go towards disability which I do not want to do.  I made this leap when I got triggered at work one time (from a teensy tiny bm that required no effort) and ended up vomiting repeatedly in the work bathroom and taking my shirt off and lying face down on the cold dirty tile.  Now, if I am going in that direction, i try to pain medicate to prevent that, but it's so hard to predict.

That's the other thing. In the past, it was simple.  Orgasm ---> horrific spasms.  Now, they come on for no reason on and off all day and all night for at least one week out of the month.  It runs my whole life.  And it has now really started to affect my sex life because much of the time I am weighing how badly do i really want this vs how much time am i going to spend in the shower writhing in pain and puking?

Having a chronic pain condition for over 25 years is taking its toll on me now and I am starting to feel like I am aging a lot faster than I had been before (I have generally looked and come off as much younger than I am), but this pain has really taken a toll on me.

I'm in the middle of my pain cycle right now, so I am feeling discouraged and dismal.  i really wish more women that saw success would come back on here and keep talking and encouraging those of us still in it.  There are so many unknowns.

i still want to develop a website for this where we can talk more interactively without having things censored.
I check this site about every other day. So far the magnesium and clenching thing really helps! Thank you to those of you that suggested this. Pain isn't totally gone, but is greatly improved. I also used to get the same cramps after I pee each morning about a week or 2 before my period starts. The cramps start a minute or 2 after I pee in the morning. But when I get up, if I sit there 10 minutes, then go to pee, it doesn't hurt. Not sure if that is related to the cramps after sleep orgasm or what?!!   Its almost like I have to wait for my bladder to wake up in the morning before I can pee. Strange. But the week of my period and the week after I can pee right when I get up with no pain whatsoever. Sometimes I wonder if the cramp like pain I feel after the orgasm dreams is actually my bladder?! But if feels exactly like very horrific intense menstural type cramps.
I'd like to hear  more about the magnesium and how you are dosing it.  I am using Ionic Fizz magnesium powder which is, I believe, 200 mg per scoop.  The dosage the original poster suggested is higher than that, but if I take more than one scoop a day it wreaks havoc on my digestive system.  How are you getting past that?  What form of magnesium are you taking?  
You perfectly explained my symptoms, concerns, and possible solutions that I am trying/have tried. I would love to see a website built around this topic and remedies/forums for women who are suffering from this. I just discovered this thread, but I would be inclined to help you in anyway you might need if you choose to make a webpage based around this topic!
I take "County Life"  magnesium caps 300 mg. 1, once a day in the evening. It doesn't bother my digestive system at all, and I have IBS. I also take vitamin D3 as well.
Hello all.  I am back in the middle of my pain cycle again.. it always feels like it comes too soon.  At this point in the game I am looking at the finish line thinking "5-7 more days til my period! Wahoo!"  In my wildest dreams (aside from a possible pregnancy scare), I never saw myself as eagerly excited for my period to come!  

I am curious if any others also have the week of on and off constant cramping (less harsh than the triggered spasms before the week of horrible triggered spasms or if that is a symptom unique to me.  It is a later development.. I didn't always have it.

I am also curious to hear from other women who have dealt with this long term like I have (over 20 years) and to hear more about how this has evolved for you.  My experience and symptoms have definitely changed over the course of years and even decades.
This is a very old thread.  It is helpful to start your own thread to get fresh responses.  You can do that by going to the above 'ask a question' tab.  

good luck
I've read this forum & there are others online too that talk about the exact same symptoms but never any answers. I have intense pelvic pain following orgasm (whether from sex, a dream or masturbation) which lasts 10-25 mins where I can hardly breathe or move & I just lie there in a ball sweating until it passes. I'm 27 & have had this for all of my twenties. I have gone to all the doctors.. several GP's, gynecologist, gastroenterologist, pelvic physio, naturopath.. The Gyno did a laparoscopy & found & removed some endometriosis. I thought this must have been the problem & removal would fix it but my first orgasm after laparoscopy the same pain occurred. Although it feels like intense cramps or (what I imagine) labour like pain in the uterus area, I think the bowels which are located close by might be involved especially as I've noticed the urge to pass gas & once I'm able to pass gas the pain subsides, as if releasing some pressure (maybe gas is trapped pressing on something in there & when a nearby sex muscle contracts it causes spasming??) So I got a colonoscopy to look in there but that did not show up anything abnormal & the specialist suggested I try a low FODMAP diet as I also suffer from bloating/gas & constipation which equals IBS apparently - if they can't find anything else it could be. My next attempt to investigate this pain led me to a pelvic floor physio who felt 'up there' & suggested I do 'pelvic floor yoga' to try to relax it. I find the tighter my pelvic floor the more intense the pain. I'm about to give up my search as nothing has helped & I feel I've been dismissed & just have to deal with it. My sex life is suffering as my partner doesn't like seeing me in pain & there's only so much you can do to pretend it doesn't hurt when you're lying there afterwards pale & sweating. Has anyone had any more progress with their search for answers? I'm surprised that so many people have this issue yet doctors are clueless about it. I wish research was done on this. Ps I forgot to mention this pain used to only happen sometimes (randomly) but it has gotten worse & more frequent over the years that now it happens almost every time I orgasm (or come close to in sleep). Also I've been on a low dose contraceptive pill for 10 years, I might try to go off it to see if that makes a difference.
HERNIA!!!!
Hello ladies
I have been following this thread for the past year. I have been suffering from the exact thing for the last 10 years and have been trying to diagnose myself for the past year, since no doc seems to know what the problem is. today I gor checked for a HERNIA! turns out I have a huge hole in my groin. I think maybe this could be it, and maybe during my period the whole area is more sensitive, hence the extreme pain.
thoughts about this anyone?
Hi guys, can you help yourself and us all by answering these questions to help me draw up a excel spreadsheet to collect this info...... here are my own answers too
1 When do you you get pain a) after sexual arousal, b) after a bowel movement, c) after urinating, d) after exercise, e) all of the above? a) very rarely d)
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm or woken up by pain
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Orgasm
4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? Most of the time, it used to be 1 week before bleeding and now it can happen any time say about 70% of the orgasms I have
5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes
6 What are ways to reduce pain? Sitting on tennis once pain starts, Taking iboprofen before orgasm or before sleep if I can feel it starting
Extra info.: I know someone that had this pain too and had a hysterectomy and now dont have pain
I've been looking on the internet for a solution for this problem for a few years but haven't come across the magnesium option yet. That looks worth a try. I do remember reading somewhere to avoid St John's Wort and that progesterone cream has helped some.

I haven't tried anything yet as my issue is intermittent due to being single; however, it's starting to annoy me as I can feel it when aroused and when I have a bowel movement at times. It's a good thing I don't have a partner because if I dare to masterbate I am in agony on and off all day and sometimes for several days. It can be so bad I feel like passing out and vomiting when it's at its worst.

In order to add to the data....

I am 45, haven't had children and have had a history of endometriosis since I was 17 years old. I've noticed symptoms for around 4 years but they have gradually worsened and become more intrusive.

1 When do you you get pain a) after orgasm (almost always) /after sexual arousal (often) , b) after a bowel movement (often), c) after urinating (rarely), d) after exercise (never), e) all of the above? (most)
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? both, but the pain on arousal is only significant if I've had the pain following orgasm within the last few days
4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? I haven't noticed as I was permanently on the pill to deal with endometriosis so didn't have a period for over 20 years. When I came off it at 42 (3 years ago) I think I was menopausal as I've only had 2 periods since
5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Only if I've had a sexual dream and very rarely
6 What are ways to reduce pain? I haven't found a way to deal with the pain beside codeine and even that doesn't touch it when it's really bad.

I just thank my lucky stars some poor guys doesn't have to put up with this too!!
It's actually been very interesting and useful reading through this very long thread. Particularly as it can feel like such an isolating problem that doctors rarely have solutions for. I hope people continue to read through and post here as more treatment options are reported
Hello Ladies, I have been following this thread for ages and have yet to post. I started a log in my phone a few years back and did a lot of self research to figure out when it starts and stops and when it feels worse and all that bummer stuff.
here's my info: My name is Brandy and I'm 30 years old

1 When do you you get pain -After Orgasm, sometimes after Bowel movement, sometimes after urinating sometimes for no reason at all.

2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? orgasm for sure, but I've cut that out completely (I cry)

4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? It starts about a week after my period and progressively gets worse up until my period begins, a day after my period begins it stops (I love my period? I cry)

5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes, especially from sex dreams.

6 What are ways to reduce pain? I usually do some stretches for the pelvic area, to be honest it doesn't reduce pain, but I think it takes my mind off of it. Having a bowel movement is almost a necessity, or at least just trying to have one.

Some more info: I've had this pain for about 5-6 years, it used to just be with orgasm, but then with time (especially in the last 3 years) it started to happen with over exertion, or on the bad days - all the time.

Time: it used to last almost 10 minutes exactly, now it's more like 20-35 minutes.

This passed year with every month is seems to be getting worse and worse. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is everyone's kind of remaining the same terrible pain?

I recently had an ultrasound just because if I don't get an answer I'm going to lose my mind, they found some fibroids on my uterus and also said my uterus tilts back pretty far, if that makes any difference. But I see most ladies on here that had fibroids removed had no change in pain.

I'm kind of at a dead end, I tried all the fish oil/vitamin suggestions with no change. Taking pain meds has no change.

I'm interested why it cuts out for most of us on our periods and also with pregnancy. There has to be a connection there. Also it seems important that we all didn't just always have this, it all came at different times for us.

Soooo anyway, I hope there are still people following this thread because it makes me feel better to look at it, I've gotten pretty depressed over the quality of life I have during these "episodes" some days I can't stay out of the bathroom at all.

OH ALSO, I just went to the 4th doctor and explained everything perfectly and she told me that she was 99% sure it was just my anxiety over being nervous about sex. It took all I had to scream I HAVE NO SEX ANXIETY and burn the building down. Thought you might all appreciate those feels.  <3
I am 29 years old. I have been dealing with this pain for 8 years. I have a history of fibroids and have had a myomectomy. I thought the myomectomy would solve my problems but it has not. I have a lot of bloating and have bowel movements often through the day. I would say on average I have 5 bowel movements a day. After waking up with pain in the middle of the night, urinating does help relieve the pressure and the pain tends to go away after 5 minutes of urinating but at times it does not and I have to take ibuprofen or Tylenol to be able to fall back asleep. After every single orgasm I get a debilitating pain where I have to lay in bed and not move for a while. The pain is usually on both sides of my lower abdomen and goes to my lower back and sometimes thighs. I feel like I need to have a bowel movement but there is so much pressure that everything feels stuck in place. I massage my stomach and back to try to release the pressure and get my blood flowing regularly. I also get pain while running or cycling. While working as loss prevention detective I would also get the pain when catching shoplifters, so I would say during situations of high level stress. I hope we can figure out what this problem is. I have gone to many doctors and they can’t figure out what is going on because it’s nothing you learn in a textbook. Doctors really need to think about how the body works to figure this one out. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I thought I was the only one with this problem and was starting to think I was cursed.
1 When do you you get pain a) after sexual arousal. After an orgasm 100% of the time. Also sometime while exercising and very stressful situations
2 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? Yes, after orgasm or woken up by pain
3 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? After Orgasm                  4 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? All month                              5 Have you been woken up from sleeping by pain? Yes, sometimes multiple times a night
6 What are ways to reduce pain? Tylenol or ibuprofen, tired of taking pain killers

1 Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese? normal
2 How old were you when the pains started? 21
3 How long have you experienced the pain for? 8 years
4 Do you get pain a) after sexual arousal d) after exercise
5 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above? Its really bad after orgasm
6 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well? Only after orgasm
7 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times? All month
8 Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains? They do not
9 Have you been diagnoised with fibroids? Yes
10 Have never been pregnant
11 How long does your pain last? 5-35 minutes
12 When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity? Yes
13 Describe the pain you feel. Cramp-like, Dull pressure around lower abdomen and back
I think this pain, as well as my period cramps, has to do with muscle tension. I've never been able to keep up my PF muscle exercises long enough or learn to do relaxation exercises so well as to get rid of the pain - but it gets easier even when I remember to stretch my hip flexors a few times a week. For me, the pain only occurs after ovulation (luteal phase), so I guess there is a hormonal element involved (how sensitive the muscles are to cramping). It usually only occurs when my PMS is otherwise bad, too. Diet with less fat, especially balancing omega-6 to omega-3 ratio, seems to help with all PMS symptoms - at least a bit. Well worth looking into if the pain is bothering you.

Here are my answers to the survey someone started:

1 Are you underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese?
Normal

2 How old were you when the pains started?
Can't really remember, probably have had it since my period started at 13.

3 How long have you experienced the pain for?
Um, that makes it 23 years

4 When do you get the pain?
After orgasm and sometimes after very vigorous exercise

5 Is the pain particularly bad after one of the above?
It's worst after orgasm when I'm very near to getting my period.

6 Do you only have the pain after orgasm or after arousal as well?
Only after orgasm

7 Do you experience pain all month or just at particular times?
Only after ovulation, getting worse the closer the period gets. (And once my period starts (well, a few hours in, maybe), orgasm eases the cramps for a while.)

8 Do you know if your mother, grandmother or sisters have the same pains?
No idea

9 Have you been diagnosed with fibroids?
No, though there was once suspicion of a small one, but it might have been a glitch in the scan.

10 Have you been pregnant?
Nope.

11 How long does your pain last?
2-20 minutes

12 When the pain passes, will it return if you resume sexual activity?
Not as bad as after the first orgasm. A second orgasm may actually help with the pain.

13 Describe the pain you feel.
Intense pain in lower abdomen, dull ache in back and thigh muscles. It can be worse depending how tense my muscles are (right thigh can be particularly nasty, as well as the left side on lower abdomen). I have an office job and sit most of the day, which causes the front of my thighs to be very tense.
I'm another woman who is extremely relieved to have found this thread!
It's very mysterious that no doctors/specialists come close to what is behind this pain.
I haven't read all 481 (and counting) comment but to the ones I've read so far I can add that:
I am in menopause,
have never been pregnant,
do have fibroids, and
I also have tail bone damage.
I've had the pain for the last 15 years (roughly) which is how long ago I had the tail bone damage (also roughly, so I'm not sure that these coincide).
At the moment I also have a polyp inside my womb which is about to be surgically removed. When the gynaecologist unsuccessfully tried to insert something into my cervix to get a sample I experienced the same pain we are talking about, so I'm a bit nervous about this pending operation since they have no idea what the pain is caused by.
That's all for now. I'll continue to read all the comments :)
Ladies, I've been reading/scanning the comments and have two questions:

A) Do/did all of you also suffer from bad period cramps? (I do, and am supposing these pains go hand in hand - and of course am wishing that once somebody comes up with the perfect solution to this, it will also deal with the period pains.)

B) Has your ob/gyn said anything about the position of your uterus? I have a back-tilting (retroverted) one, and I've seen a few other people mention the same over the years. Has anyone tried abdominal massage (google e.g. "maya massage", or "fertility massage") to get rid of possible adhesions?  
I want to resurrect this topic to see if anyone has found a solution. I have been told that I have both, IBS-C and an Overactive Bladder (which both cause spasms) I was told because the GI, Reprodutive, and Urinary system are so close together one sensation effects the other. I also have not had this all my life. Started maybe 6 years ago. Got fybroids removed (myomectomy), the pain not as intense with medication but non the less did not go away. I kick myself sometimes for not doing the full hysterectomy.
I check this thread almost every single day. I need to get rid of this horrible pain in the middle of the night after dreams. Its excruciating!!
Ok, this sounds crazy, but I found something that helps prevent some of the erotic dreams that cause cramps The nights that I am in the danger zone for having the dreams, I sleep sitting up. When I sleep sitting up, I do not have any erotic dreams/cramps!! I have no idea why, but it works for me.