On the Depo Shot and seeing pregnancy symptoms, am i pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I'm worried that I may be pregnant. I've taken pregnacy tests before, because I'm always a little nervous whenever my period is late. But I've never completely missed a period, and when they're late it's usually only a week or a few days. I got the depo shot on March 20th of this year, and had my regular period after that, and then last month, i completely missed it. I don't know if this is because of the shot. But, I have been extremely tired, I fall asleep at random times during the day. I've never been that way, either. I've been nauseated without throwing up for about the same amount of time i've been over-tired (a couple weeks) and i've been getting cramps without ever started my period. I haven't even spotted. I have an increased need to urinate, but not too noticeably. My taste in food has changed dramatically. I used to love eggs and I can't even stand to smell them now. I might just have myself worked up and nervous but I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I did the whole "enter the date of the first day of your last period, and the average length of your cycle" and it said that the days i ovulated fell over the time i had sex. so, i'm a little worried.
You have most of the symptoms I did after I finally got pregnant after four cylcles of clomid. I didnt know I was pregnant but i felt different and felt something was wrong or in the case of pregnancy something right.  I got a dollar test and it was positive then I bought a dollar test from another store and it was positive.  If you are pregnant your baby is in somewhat in danger by you being injected with the Depo Provera just a couple of months ago.  I would make me an appointment at the local clinic or your ob/gyn.  Explain to them what is going on. Obviously if your taking the shot you don't want to be pregnant.  Your body has to be on a perfect hormonal balance for the egg to implant and survive. Most likely the shot may put this balance off but I have known women to be pregnant on the pill and the shot and have normal healthy pregnancy. I can't say that their children would turn out completly healthy without any problems at all but you never know.  this is definetly a task for a pregnancy test.
i took the depo shot for almost 4 years and i never had a period and at first i felt kind of different but it went away.
I know when I got the Depo shot they told me to use protection for the first 2 weeks.  I only got 2 shots of Depo...at first my periods were normal then I didnt have one and then by the second shot I was bleeding about everyday.  If you really think your pregnant then go get a blood test done.  But women on Depo usually dont have periods or have very light ones...but its different in everyone.
I was on Depo for several years.  I had my first period after the shot and then nothing again until I went off of it several years later.  I had the same thing happen to me many times. I would think I was pregnant.  I woudl go and get tested and it would come up negative.  At one point I even had discharge from my nipples.  That time the doctor had me come back for about 5 different tests (they did not do blood tests there yet).  She told me she was pretty sure I was pregnant but that it was just too early for the test to show.  Finally after about the 5th or 6th test, she said I was not pregnant.  

Depo basically makes your body think you are pregnant so that you will not release an egg. So you often experience pregnancy like symptoms -- that are in reality nothing at all.  

Try taking an HPT with first morning urine and see what results you get.  If negative, wait a week or two and test again.  IF it is still negative, I would say you are in the clear, but you can always visit the dr. to confirm.  

Good luck to you.

Amanda
I took the shot a month ago the doc told me it would not work for 2 weeks.  I was sposto start in that 2 weeks and never did. I have had tierdness,tender breast,i cry easly, and i feel sick i get cramps and i just started a brownish spoting. ive taken the 5 days erly pregnancy test came out negtive.
I just got the depo shot about 4 weeks ago and my breasts will not stop hurting i get pelvic pains,and have to pee alot too  they say that some of the depo shot side effects are similiar to being pregnant i dont like what the shot is doing to me can somone  tell me if this is normal or could i be pregnant on depo
Hi, I have been on depo over 5 years as well as a year and a half between children.  No problems getting pregnant when I stopped the 1st time and no side affects apart from bad skin.  I might have put on weight put was still carrying weight from pregnancy so didn't really notice.  The last two times I've got my depo shot I have vommited about a minute after getting it then felt nauseous for days.  My breasts have gotten bigger and are sore, my stomach is swollen, I've put on 3kg, my pelvis hurts (like it did when I was pregnant) and I need to pee more. I have taken 2 home pregnancy tests which have both been negative.  I assume I'm not pregnant but my body is now reacting to the depo.  I'd like to know if anyone who has experience similar symptoms has been pregnant or if it is just a depo side affect.  I'm going to get a blood test from the doctor to make sure.
every since Ive had tha depo i aint never had a period.... but lately ive been filling symptoms of pregnancy...i just had a miscarriage about a month or so ago too...so could i really be pregnant thiz time...
hey im new at thiz all if someone could help me out i would really appreciate it....
i had the depo provera on december and is due april and i waited the right time to have unprotected sex and to let my boyfriend ejaculate in me for the first time and i was so panicy thinking i was pregnant i didnt get any signs i took a test and was negative and again my boyfriend ejaculated in me now i starting to get brown rims arounf my nipples thats it and its only been around 12 hours since we had unprotected sex could i be pregnant if imon Depo Provera ??? please email me the answer on gemziieh-***@**** x
I just got the depo shot in march of 2010 now it is time for me to get my next shot I wonder if I should. I have not seen my period sense the time of getting my first shot. I had the same experience feeling pregnant but when I took the prego test it say negative so I guess it is the birth control. It does make your body think it is pregnant! And to be honest I hate being pregnant it feels miserable that's why Im skeptical about what to do with this DEPO. I don't want to really be pregnant because I'm not ready for that responsibility but then I dont want to feel pregnant either! I want my period to come on I actually like my period because I know I am healthy and its a natural thing. Then the thought of me not having my period places fear that this depo will cause some health problems and that's not cool. I want to use protection more often are their places in maryland where me and my boyfriend can go to help educate him on using condoms. He still will not use condoms with me and now he is talking about having children. I wish there were birth control for men!
I feel all the symptoms I felt when
I was first pregnant with my son aboutt a month after getting the depo shot it seems to me that it is a common complaint among people on the shot to feel as tho they are pregnant. If your really worried get a test or two and take them but do yourself a favor and take a nice relaxing breath because chances are if you followed the drs orders after getting the shot you are not pregnant
i got my depo shot not too long ago.. my doctor idnt tell me anything.. he took a test before the shot and it was negative, but he told me if i was it could take a few day for it to settle in the uterus.. i had sex that day and every night before fer a week.. we wuld use codos but usually half way through or just before he was ready to let go.. i fell as if i could be and i am worried.. what should i do. i should of had my period the day of the shot or a day or two before..
- bratpack540
so i got my first shot of Depo and had unprotected sex the 2 weeks the Dr said not to. now a month latter im very nauseated, emotional, my apatite has changed dramatically, and im tired all the time. And i havnt had a period at all. No spotting, nothing. Im about a week late right now. I took 2 pregnancy tests about 1 1/2 weeks ago and they both came back negative. Im wondering if i took the test to soon and i could be pregnant or if its just the shot. if it is just the shot. this *****
i got the depo shot sometime in late september. before hand i was having sex but unprotected, occasionaly a condom or two. recently i have been having bloating, nausia, extremely tired, and cramps here and there. i got these symptoms the last time i thought i was pregnant. after i got the shot i had unprotected sex cause i thought the shot worked right away, but reading this i found out that i had to wait two weeks to have unprotected sex. i have had these symptoms for about a month now. no throwing up, but being nauseated. the bloating won't go down and i have to pee more. i haven't taken any tests.
I got my depo shot on nov.19 my doctor told me not to have sex and if I do use a condom well I had sex nov.22 with no pprotection even though my bf pulled out I think I'm pregnant because I missed my period which was suppose to come on dec.2 it is now dec.5 and still no sign of my period this is crazY I'm freaking out but tomorrow I will take a a test to see what's really good.
im on the depo i've had about 3 shots of it, it's now january! but i never have periods on the depo but latley, my stomache has become a little bigger, iv even started spotting a dark brown now going a brown red colour, my boobs have got bigger, im feeling sick and very very tired, i feel as if i need to sleep all the time, im also craving red onion as weird as that may sound, im also needing to use the bathroom alot, as where i use to be able to hold it through the night without needing the toilet, now i go at least twice in the night, do you think im pregnant?
I have got the shot twice but got the second one 7 days late is there anyway I could be pregnant? I've been eating a lot more but I don't want to think I'm pregnat and make my body feel like its pregnant can anyone help???
Hey, my friend was on the depo needle and she missed periods completely every once in awhile. Any form of birthcontrol can cause symptoms like this, it could be nothing. I would like to tell you that my friend did end up getting pregnant, they told her when she went to get her next needle (they took a test like always) I believe this is due to her health issues though, her horomones messed with the horomones of the needle and it didnt work, also she was given drugs at a hospital for her appendex.
Okaa. Im 17 I got the depo in january 2011. In febuary I got the flu they gave me antibotics and my period came right on time then I got a kidney infection only a week or two later once again more antibiotics. Its now march my period is exactly two weeks late. Is there a possiblity im pregnant? Please respond with the "17 year old" so I know your comment is for me. I also took two pregnancy tests which came back negative I have every single symptom! I did this thing online to see how far along I am and every symptom matched each week..iim going nuts.
I have heard that Depo throws off urine pregnacy test and makes them negative. you might want to go the doctor and get a blood test done.

Good luck to you,
okay i got the shot on april 13 2011 well unfortunatly i wasnt smart and had sex the same day about 2 hours later unprotected. and alot of times after even recently. i know not smart. we want a baby but then again we wanna wait until everything is settled. ive been on it a little over a month now and i have been spotting since april 30 and i havent stopped. its driving me crazy and i know its prob gross but its been light so we still have sex. its not a dark color either its almost like a bright red sometimes but light like hardly bleeding. ive been having sever headaches stomach pains back pains shoulder pains ive been extreamly nausiated but havent vomited yet and my stomach is the only thing getting bigger with my weight gain and rounding. im not sure if this is normal or if im pregnant can anyone tell me i just need to know ive takin a test and it says no but i feel pregnant. even feels like butterflys in my stomach sometimes. help!!!
I had my son in April '09, as soon as I could get on BC I got on Depo. I haven't had a period since then. But this past week, I was complaining about having sore breast but I thought it was from too much coffee cuz thats happened to me before. Then I went to doc this week, told her to test my urine bcuz I thought I had a UTI bcuz I felt nauseated which I usually when I have a UTI. There was no infection. Then the next day, I squeezed on my nipple and Pure Milk came out. I keep hoping I'm dreaming but I've done like three more times and there it is, MILK! What do u think? Am I preggo? UGH!
I have been on the depo shot for 3months , in with in these months I have never had a period until now . It's really not a period I been having major cramps , been eatting alot then going to sleep . Then I always having attitudes at everyone . I was wonder I'm am pregnant , people tell me I look like it in the face . Oh I also been so emotional , I throw up 2 times in one night it was Orange stuff . So I'm kinda scared I have told my boyfriends that I was . But maybe I should jus take a pregnancy test to be sure ..
I been off the depo for about 6month is there a change that I could be persgent I been urinating alot and I feel alittle bit funny I haven't got a period and Im alittle bit worried I miss my last shot and I fealt sick lately
Okay I've been on depo for a little over 2 years without taking breaks for my period (doctor said it was safe). Well I've kinda tricked myself into thinking I was pregnant before however this time...nails were growing. Hair is crazy growing. Fatigue. Nausea. Slight cramping. Change in taste of foods. Even a baby bump that others noticed first! Now I can't trick myself into all that. Took at home tests. Got a positive, negative, and faulty. So needless to say I asked them to check when I had a sonogram coming up. Seen nothing. But said if I was less than 6 weeks she might not. I assumed it was a no. But it kept getting more noticeable. So seen a blot online of other woman not getting an answer on pee tests because of hormones and all. Blood test or sonogram was the way to go. Got to thinking about it more. Went to the ER today (and keep in mind everyone was certain - mom, friends, family, myself) But the blood test was negative. Now I'm not stupid or one of those girls that just wants to have a baby but I'm starting to feel crazy! I've googled pictures of women about 10 weeks and that's exactly what my stomach looks like. And I'm a tiny girl. Ive worn a size 1 for a couple years...now all of a sudden I can fit a 7?!?! Why all these signs if no baby? What else could it be? Any reason a blood test could be wrong? I'm so baffled. Help!
I'am on my second depo shot and I did 3 pregnancy test at home and they came back positive and today I went to the doc and I got it back negative.I really don't know what's going on not even the doc can explain to me how I got 3 positive test
Hi my name is nika and I been on the depot for years and I never had a period at all while on the depot so me and my boyfriend we always have unprotected sex and he sperm inside of me everytime we have sex and I never got preganant but now I saw spotting in my underwear I had mild cramps off and on. My nipples are sore as heck so I decide to go get a test tommrow to make sure I am not pregant
My baby father and I was having unprotected sex after our soon was born. I went to the doctor nov. 8th to start taking my depo shot. But before then, a couple of days before the appointment him and I had sex unprotected. I started to feel sick. And when I went to the doctor I took a test, it came back negative. But I still was feeling sick. And I never had a period after my son was born. A couple of days after I took day shot I started to bleed. It lasted for two weeks and a day or two.
I am tryin to figure out what to do?
when you are on the depo shot you dont get your period.
and my friend bled for 42 days because of the depo shot. i suggest you get off of it asap. its not a good idea.
and also its pretty hard to get pregnant when you dont ovulate.
Do you have to be on your menstral cycle when geting the depo shot?
I got my depo on the 18th of May, and had sex a couple days later. The day I got my shot I had ended my period and in April I miscarried. Is it possible to be pregnant? I'm having slight nausea here and there and my nipples are tender and sore. I was on depo last October to January and never had these symptoms on that shot. Can I be pregnant?
ok, so, i'm on the depo shot and i've also had about 3 shots. i NEVER had a period untill now. it's not even really a period. i only see pink spotting after i pee and i have to pee ALL the time and before i never peed, only like twice or 3 times a day. now it like twice 3 times an hour. i'm tired all the time, my back, neck, and shoulders hurt. i feel sick almost 24/7. i can't stand to think about eating. just the thought makes me sick and i'm usually a pretty regular eater. my stomach is getting bigger but it's like close to the top of my belly. my mom even asked me one day out of the blue if i'd had sex lately. i told her i hadn't but i lied. i had sex every single night for a week or two and now i feel like this. it's been 3 1/2 weeks since i had sex and i've had that weird spotting for about a week. i took 2 home pee tests and they both said negative but i feel pregnant. can someone tell me ehat's going on?
this is my first time on depo i had protected sex and 5 weeks later i was put on depo and i havent came on my period . but i came on before i got the shot . and i bleed heavy . am i pregant or am i having depo symptoms
I was suppose to go get my depo shot may 10 2012 I didnt go get it my boyfriend nutted in me two days later I started spotting for like a week or two then on my birthday I bleed a lil bit then it stopped I have been vomiting certain stuff i eat my breast are sore my stomach has pains my breast has got bigger my areolas big and gettin darker urinating alot certain things I smell I vomit and get really bad headaches my boyfriend told me I was pregnant before i even started gettin sick I just wanna know if I am really pregnant if I am could I just been in.denial
I just got on the birth control 6 months ago. My side effects are crazy.  I lost weight couldn't eat.  Then the 2nd one I'm eatting a lot sick every morning.  Like I don't know what to say hormones be ridiculous
I had stopped taking the depo shot when it was time to go in for my second one i just didnt and i have not started my cycle for over a month now and have been having all the symptoms of being pregnant i was actually at the hospital not that long ago and they asked me if i was pregnant i said i didnt know and they did a test and it was negative and every test i have taken was negative but i still dont know why im having all the signs and not starting my cycle everyone in my family keeps telling me that i could be pregnant even if the test come out negative
So I think I might be pregnant and I've been on the depo for almost 2 years now. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex twice before I got my regular 3 month shot. We never use a condom because of the fact that I'm on birth control but lately I keep thinking that I'm pregnant.. I've been waking up drenched in sweat, I've had incredible back pain, my stomach will hurt like cramping ( I havent had a period or cramping for about a year) , Ive been eating alot, and getting really moody, I've been light headed I even fainted in my friends driveway. I get out of breath easily. The crazy thing is is that my boyfriend was the one who thought I was pregnant by noticing my symptoms..
hey im bout to turn 16. and ive been on depo for only 3 months i missed my last shot. but me and my fiance had all unprotected sex cuz i thought it would block his sperm so he never pulled out. so now about two months later im gettin stomach growth. hunger craves. and mood swings like a mofo. adn me and him have been fighitng Alot cuz of my mood swings. but ive taken 3 test and all posotive. but ive miscarried 3 times and the test were all postotive those times too. and it turned out i miscarried a week before i found out :'( but im scared to go to the doc because his dad said if i am prego he wont let us be togethert. whta do i do
I got the depo shot like a week ago. I havent had unprotected sex. But I have heart burn all the time. Cramps. I have to pee all the time. I have white discharge a lot. I haven't been really hungry... Is this just the side effects?
I got my first shot in may of this year, i went to the doctor and they gave me prednisone. me and my boyfriend had sex and three days later i woke up feeling sick like i had to throw up and my stomach has been hurting for three days, i always feel like im about to throw up what does all this mean?
Could the prednisone mess up my depo shot?
I've been on depo for 6 months and i had my period aug 8th through the 17th or 18th and me and my bf have recently had sex sept 13th and he cummed in me 3 times, no protection. I've been extremely tired, my back hurts, head hurts, stomach cramps, peeing alot, and i get nauseated in the morning, could i be pregnant
Hi I have been on depi on and off for 10 years I am 23 and have two kids (i was not on depo at the time of either)  I have been getting my shots now for almost a year pretty much on time but when it comes close to them getting due I start my period. I am now 2 days late on my shot and still no period. I have also been getting alot of the same symptoms I had when I was pregnant with my first two. Do you think I should worry???
I had my last shot in may 2012... My last shot was due in August I never went because my and my fiancé want to start a family.... My hips have been hurting and I spotted about 5-6 weeks ago my sense of smell has increased dramatically... I work retail and have gotten used to the wide variety of smells that my customers have... But for like 2 weeks now I have started noticing their smells... And some people are at least 5-10 feet away from me... No sore boobies yet but my stomach also feels really bloated and uncomfortable... Please can anyone tell me if I'm pregnant... I want to be so bad...
soundssss like me and i am on the depo shot on my 3rd injection....i feel like dooky all the time
I have a two mnth.old baby after i had her i decided to get on the depo shot and my doc told me to.wait 2 weeks before having sex but i had sex a week after and ive been feeling weird and im scared what do u girls think
ok, I'm on the depo but deciding to go off, now I know you can't ovulate without getting your period but strangely in the pasta few days I've been ridiculously tired, I mean I've slept from nine to two the next evening, I'm just thinking wtf it's been going on for four days now, plus for the past week I've been craving pasta...ew cos I know I don't like pasta but it's all I want, mind you I have a lot of resentment to Bolognese cos that's all my Mum cooked when I was little, oh and subway cookies...dam I could use one now, ah anyways I took a test...longest 3 minutes of my life! and it came out negative, plus I feel bloated fml put on 2.2kg in the past two weeks...I think, and my back hurts too right between the blades...oh and jeez I can't stop winging, idk what's going on...plus if I don't sleep long enough my head really hurts ah what the hell :(
felling pregnant is part of the symtoms (symptoms) of the depo injection, i have been on it for nearly 5 years now and the amount off time i convinced myself i was pregnat is too many to count. you get all the symptoms of pregnacy, sore or tender boobs, more need to uranate, cravings, back pain, morning sickness, stomach cramps, discharge, mood swings and even convincing myself i was pregnant and becoming really broody and telling myself i was going to keep the baby even though i wasnt even prenant in the first place. i suggest you all stop worring about signs and symptoms of pregnancy and if you are really woried or convinced go and see your gp. just remember you are all not alone. good luck to you all.
Iv been on the depo for 3nd a half years and only recently iv been experiencing signs of pregnancy. Completely put off food, when I usually eat like a horse!! Sickness, dizziness, lack of energy, stomach ache/cramps, moods are up and down. Me and my partner are not ready for a child and im scared to death!!!
I got the shot about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I had sex somewhat two days before my two weeks to wait ended. Im 16 , i have non stop brown discharge and im freaking out! What is this stuff? I haven't started my period either. I had my period before i got the shot, two weeks before possibly. But my question is what is this brown discharge and why wont it go away? I have had it for almost two weeks now!
well I been on depo 10 weeks. I got the depo 2 days after I had my baby  and then started back a couple weeks now I have all the pregnancy signs even my breast are producing milk but I haven't started again so Idk whats up. What should I do
iv been off my depo 3 months after being on depo 5 years and now im getting nausus after eating smell sensitive emotional have to pee a lot have back pains have cravings and have neak pains. could i be pregnant