Ovarian Cyst on birth control? Is it possible?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

can you get an ovarian cyst on birth control?  I went on birth control last year for lower right abdominal pain.  The pain would come and go every once in a while and varied in pain ranging from a dull ache to a severe stabbing pain.  I was told to get an ultrasound if the pain didnt go away within three months of taking birth control.  The pain did go away for about 4-5 months but would come back periodically. Late august the pain came back and didnt go away still and i called my gyno to get another appointment and she told me to go to a family doctor first and sent me a prescription for an ultra sound and she told me "I know its not a cyst because youre on birth control".  Which scared the hell out of me and now im convinced i have ovarian cancer.  Ovarian cysts run crazy in my mothers side and she herself had to have some surgically removed and had endometriosis. I noticed the pain first when i would have sex in certain positions, it felt like i was getting stabbed through the right ovary and would ache after sex.  Also i NEVER missed a pill or took one late ever. I'm paranoid about getting pregnant so i set two alarms to remind me to take it, and also i havent had sex in almost 2 years so there is no possibility of this being a pregnancy.  So is it really true you can't get cysts on birth control???
YES you can!  I am proof of that.  I was having a transvaginal ultrasound done and the lady doing the ultrasound said " you're on birth control right? " and I said " yes, why?" and she said " well that's odd, you have 2 cysts on your right ovary and 1 on your left".  I was having loads and loads of pain all the time.

Like yourself I was on birth control for almost a yr because of painful periods, irregular bleeding lots of pain during and after sex and honestly it was my only option before my insurance would pay for anything.   I finally had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy and they found mild endometriosis, a cyst on my fallopian tube and a polyp in the middle of my uterus. I think I'd be changing dr.'s.  Please don't worry about ovarian cancer.  If the cysts run in your family (like they do mine) I'm sure that's all it is.  When are they doing the ultrasound?  
Good luck!! I hope this has helped some. :)   If you need to talk or ask questions just message me. :D