Ovarian Cyst
It's not an exact question I'm just looking for someone who knows what I'm going through to ease my mind. About two weeks ago I had severe pain in my lower abdomen.  After three straight days of agonizing pain I went to the doctor who said it could be a pulled muscle but just in case I should have an ultra sound done. The results were a 12 cm cyst on my right ovary. Also there is a smaller mass but they haven't figured out what that one is although most likely another cyst. I went to the gynecologist who said I would have to have surgery to remove it. I am absolutely terrified. I'm a 17 year old girl how did this happen? Everything was going so great I got a good hostess job at a fancy restaurant, a loving boyfriend of 13 months, and a big potential of becoming cheer captain for my senior year. I've been perfectly healthy my whole life and now the idea of getting cut open is terrifying to me. What I really want to know is what the recovery is gonna be like? Also are there any major risks during the surgery? Thanks!
I am sorry you are going through this. Surgery is scary especially at your young age. Since most cysts are benign (non-cancerous), the size is likely the reason it has to be removed. Do you know if your surgeon (gynecologist) does a lot of cystectomies (cyst removals)? Hopefully so because you want someone who is good at "shelling out" cysts and keeping as much ovarian tissue as possible. Losing even one ovary can reduce fertility and even lead to early menopause. Just for future reference - Women's ovaries are even essential after menopause because they produce hormones into her 80's for good health and well-being.

As far as the surgical recovery - You will need to take it easy for a number of weeks. I believe the recovery time depends on whether it's done laparoscopically or abdominally. Your doctor should give you complete information about the risks and recovery.

Please keep us up-to-date on how you are doing. I hope all goes well!