Ovarian pain on the left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ovarian pain on the left side

I went to the emergency room yesterday for extreme ovarian pain on my left side.  The pain was so bad that I couldn't stand up or sit up straight.  Once in the emergency room the docotor gave me morphine for pain and also another anti-inflamatory pain reliever.  Once given this stuff the pain immediantly went away.  The docotor also took blood work and everything came back normal.  The doctor then sent me home and just told me the pain was due to ovulation.  When I was experiencing the most extremem pain this watery substancce came out of my vagina.  Was this a cyst that got past and just came out of me?  If not, why was my pain so severe just over ovulation?
Cysts do not burst and come out of you.  Had you ovulated already and this was after ovulation or were you ovulating?  I get pains when I ovulate that are really uncomfortable.  There is a lot of pressure and it hurts when I take a step or sit-up straight.  If an anti-inflammatory made you feel better than most likely it was that.  If the pain persists past ovulation than I would check with your OB/GYN.  The pain usually only lasts me one day.
I'm guessing it was during ovulation.  I've never experienced pain like that before.  Since I'm on birth control pills I didn't think I could experience pain like that.  I'm pretty sure it was just caused by ovulation.  I hope this doesn't happen every month now.  Does it happen every month for you?
I had a very large cyst rupture on my right ovary and also like you ended up in the hospital and with Morphine. My u/s clearly showed reamining tissue and fluid and unlike what was posted I did pass the fluid and was able to clearly see it. So it very well could have been a cyst that you had.
Maybe Harley-Girl is right.  I've never had a cyst so I can't give advice on that.  But ovulation pain for me is every month.  I also have it on a different side every month so I can tell which ovary is releasing an egg.  

Harley-Girl:  Would an anti-inflammatory be considered the drug of choice when dealing with an ovarian cyst?  If the anti-inflammatory worked than it may have not been a cyst.  

I think the best bet is to speak with your doctor.  If you do not have the pain again this month than Harley-Girl would be right it might have been a cyst.
I believe it may have been a cyst.  I am going to my OBGYN on Monday so I will find out then.  It's hard to tell what it could have been.  I am no longer in the pain I was in yesterday.  Just a little sore.  Thanks so much to everyone for trying to help me out.  Hopefully, it will end up just being an ovulation pain.
I agree with Harley, that's probably what it was. Did they do an u/s? I was in the ER in Jan with what sounds like the exact same pain (I didn't get morphine though, I am allergic, I got demerol). I had cysts all over my left ovary. None of them burst that I know of though. I was dx with PCOS a week and lots of blood tests later.
I see, well I would listen to Harley-Girl and luv-babies.  If they have had a cyst before and recognize the symptoms than they should know better.  I only experienced ovulation pain.  Sometimes it hurts so much that I wonder if I have a cyst but from what I understand it is an ongoing pain.  Mine stops the next day.
If it had ruptured an anti-inflammatory would help with the pain and swelling at the ovary site.  If the cyst is still intact, no that medication is not beneficial.
First of all I am going through menapause and had a partial hysterectomy years ago so the pain I feel can not be from ovulating tubes are also tied. I experience pain in left ovary back leg and vulva area sharp pain or feeling bruised constantly. I can not get into the on dr for a month. I don't know if I can wait this long should I go to er.
I have pain in left ovary area every month during ovulation. Pain last 7days and goes away. Have learned standing or lying down are best positions sitting hurts worse. Riding in car is the worse between vibration of car and sitting position. Ob says only thing can be done is pain meds. Have noticed helps pain lower back message or message I left pelvic region. Worse pain than kidney stones when at there worse. Good news is some months pain worse than others. I have noticed worse when I'm stressed.